1/11 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/11 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Speaking of seeing folks...the wife and I were happy to see ATP Tour Fan tonight! Forgot to ask where you are sitting these days, hope to see you at the next one!
Was great seeing you both last night! I’m up at the top of 206, near the tunnel serving 205/206.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I listen to the varsity stream and watch ESPN+
Yep, tried that last nite, mine was not synced perfect, but close enough, the kids are wearing me out. We have to do better than this next year.
It's easy to sync if you coordinated the start times.
How do you get Varsity to not skip around? That's been the challenge for me
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

My apologies on using imprecise language, but when I posted Freeman and Carey had bad games, I really meant they bad "shooting" nights. It was this lapse that contributed to last 5 minutes FG scoring drought. The 11 point lead also quickly dissipated because SBU put in two timely threes and made other clutch shots.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Also, I don’t think Ish gets enough credit on the boards. Very impressive. He, Martin, Carey and Weston have easily got to be our top 4 rebounders. Average height of 6’4?
That's why, although recruiting shooters is the #1 priority for Archie, a rebounding big should be a close 2nd. BTW, Antwan Walker had 33 points and 11 rebounds for Bryant last night. How much better would we be if he had stayed?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago My apologies on using imprecise language, but when I posted Freeman and Carey had bad games, I really meant they bad "shooting" nights. It was this lapse that contributed to last 5 minutes FG scoring drought. The 11 point lead also quickly dissipated because SBU put in two timely threes and made other clutch shots.
Carey did a helluva job on Banks. And Freeman while he struggled making shots impacted the game in other ways and is turning into a more well rounded player right before our eyes. Weston starting to find himself; and Ish is a borderline all conference guard right now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Some highlights.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago My apologies on using imprecise language, but when I posted Freeman and Carey had bad games, I really meant they bad "shooting" nights. It was this lapse that contributed to last 5 minutes FG scoring drought. The 11 point lead also quickly dissipated because SBU put in two timely threes and made other clutch shots.
Carey did a helluva job on Banks. And Freeman while he struggled making shots impacted the game in other ways and is turning into a more well rounded player right before our eyes. Weston starting to find himself; and Ish is a borderline all conference guard right now.
Focusing on your last sentence, I don’t even think it’s borderline. Ish is a top 5 guard in the conference.

Breaking that down further:

Ish is 10th in the A10 in scoring, 8 of those 10 players are guards.

Of the 8 guards, he has the 3rd highest FG%, he’s 1st in rebounding with 6.3/game and 5th in assists with 2.7.

One of the most well rounded guards in the conference right now
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
Focusing on your last sentence, I don’t even think it’s borderline. Ish is a top 5 guard in the conference.

Of the 8 guards, he has the 3rd highest FG%, he’s 1st in rebounding with 6.3/game and 5th in assists with 2.7.

It's ironic that many felt after last season and when Ish first put his name in the portal, that he didn't have A10 level talent and will probably transfer down.
Amazing how things change in less than a year.
Now he is being referred to as an All-A10 caliber player.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

He's currently 9th in the A-10 in PER, with only one guard (by their listings on S-R.com) ahead of him. There is a big gap between him (19.8) and 8th on the list (Ricky Lindo, 21.3), whereas spots #9 (Leggett) through #20 (Erik Reynolds II, St. Joe's, 18.8) are pretty tightly bunched. So, it wouldn't surprise me if he got consideration for an All-A10 team and made it, or, didn't make it. But he's had an incredible bounce back this year, and he's looking and playing like the potential star he looked like as a freshman.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

It's ironic that many felt after last season and when Ish first put his name in the portal, that he didn't have A10 level talent and will probably transfer down.
Now we he is being referred to as an All-A10 caliber player.
You can tell how much he's worked on his game and that he's spent a lot of time in the weight room. He's really strong finishing at the hoop after contact now. And obviously he's worked a lot on his outside shot.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

The young man is certainly a hard worker. And, as a result, he is a good role model to the younger players. Glad he stayed.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Now he is being referred to as an All-A10 caliber player.
You can tell how much he's worked on his game and that he's spent a lot of time in the weight room. He's really strong finishing at the hoop after contact now. And obviously he's worked a lot on his outside shot.
I am sure he has, and the staff change certainly didn't hurt.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Remember when 72 said Bray couldn't pass?
That back door bounce pass to Ish cutting to the basket was a thing of beauty.
I certainly meant he didn't pass, not "couldn't". Bray also made two bullet passes to Samb. His problem is that he doesn't look to pass often enough and tries to dribble around to get himself open.
NCAAs or Bust!
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Is it just me, or is anyone else starting to see a little Tom Garrick in Ish?
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RJ, how can you call Tom Garrick, little? He’s a full grown man!

Just kidding…I feel like playing traffic cop today. :lol:

On a more serious note, it’s an interesting question. Obviously, they don’t share the level of individual success but similarities can be found: for one, they are both hard workers.

Good off day discussion topic but hopefully, this doesn’t distract from the Ant recruiting thread too much. We got it up to 15 pages. :D
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Remember when 72 said Bray couldn't pass?
That back door bounce pass to Ish cutting to the basket was a thing of beauty.
I certainly meant he didn't pass, not "couldn't". Bray also made two bullet passes to Samb. His problem is that he doesn't look to pass often enough and tries to dribble around to get himself open.
Brayon Freeman assists......First 8 games:10....Last 8 games:34
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago We were one or two bounces away from a 3-1 record in the A-10.
Or Bassy fouling the 3 point shooter @ LaSalle 1 play from a 3-1 conference record
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago We were one or two bounces away from a 3-1 record in the A-10.
Or Bassy fouling the 3 point shooter @ LaSalle 1 play from a 3-1 conference record
Can’t really say that seeing how Bonnie’s missed two layups last night and we could easily be 1-3.

Results like La Salle and last night tend to balance out.
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago Is it just me, or is anyone else starting to see a little Tom Garrick in Ish?
Way more than a little! Good call.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Brayon doesn't look to pass often enough. When he drives and draws defenders to him he needs to pass out for an trey rather than trying to get fouled. In 20% fewer minutes Bassy has more assists. Brayon doesn't move the ball and leaves teammates standing around. This is why Archie will oftentimes move him off the point. Attempts to play Jalen at the point have yielded similar results. Ish has almost as many assists as Brayon.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago
Can’t really say that seeing how Bonnie’s missed two layups last night and we could easily be 1-3.

Results like La Salle and last night tend to balance out.
Yeah I agree, I never liked going down that road of what could have been.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yeah like maybe Calvin Shiraldi gets one of those strike threes….
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Brayon doesn't look to pass often enough. When he drives and draws defenders to him he needs to pass out for an trey rather than trying to get fouled. In 20% fewer minutes Bassy has more assists. Brayon doesn't move the ball and leaves teammates standing around. This is why Archie will oftentimes move him off the point. Attempts to play Jalen at the point have yielded similar results. Ish has almost as many assists as Brayon.
He’s a combo/scoring guard learning how to be a facilitator.
While the above may be true it also has to be considered that oftentimes he is our best option even if Malik (25% three point shooter) is open in the corner. I think as more guys start contributing he will get even better at facilitating. But he’s also a slithery scorer who other teams scout and focus on and there is little benefit in turning him into a pass first PG. Bassy is that bc he has to be bc his offense is severely limited. Comps to Bassys assist rate are moot points.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

He's currently 9th in the A-10 in PER, with only one guard (by their listings on S-R.com) ahead of him. There is a big gap between him (19.8) and 8th on the list (Ricky Lindo, 21.3), whereas spots #9 (Leggett) through #20 (Erik Reynolds II, St. Joe's, 18.8) are pretty tightly bunched. So, it wouldn't surprise me if he got consideration for an All-A10 team and made it, or, didn't make it. But he's had an incredible bounce back this year, and he's looking and playing like the potential star he looked like as a freshman.
Agree with you both. And A10 always is a guard heavy league so there is a scenario where we finish at the bottom and Ish is punished for that. Statistically tho he is playing at all conference level.

I think Tommy G was a more polished scorer/offensive player. I think a more recent comp is someone like Jordan Goodwin from SLU. Averaged a double double senior year and stuffed the stat sheet while making winning plays.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I see some similarities between Ish and Tommy. Strong guards who both play hard nosed defense. Maybe you can compare their offensive games if you look at Tommy's soph/junior years. But Tommy exploded his senior year. He shot 49% from the field, 55% from behind the arc, 4 assists, 2.4 steals and averaged 20.5 points per game. Tommy was also a bit more athletic than Ish. Tommy took big leaps each year. Ish is taking one this year. If he takes another one next year, we'll really have something. Tommy also was aided by the fact he played with arguably our best guard in history along side of him. That certainly helped, but Tommy was certainly an all time great in his own right.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Tommy had a pro style offensive skill set when all said and done. He could pull up off dribble and was a prolific outside shooter by end of his career. Ish is a bit more junkyard dog in how he gets his points- drawing fouls, offensive rebounds, some perimeter shooting. But whatever it is Ish is turning into a great player in his own mold. Love to see it.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Big lines at the concessions for those $2 Rhody Dogs?
Doesn't matter. If there's 5 people in front of you...it's still a good 15-20 minutes. (Confession...I did have a couple...)
They were actually not bad. Saugy's. So there's that. I guess everything seems better when you win.
I wish we could get Saugys down here. (Saugy will ship them, but the price is like $50 a pound.) The things they sell as "hot dogs" down here are just abominable.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago

Doesn't matter. If there's 5 people in front of you...it's still a good 15-20 minutes. (Confession...I did have a couple...)
They were actually not bad. Saugy's. So there's that. I guess everything seems better when you win.
I wish we could get Saugys down here. (Saugy will ship them, but the price is like $50 a pound.) The things they sell as "hot dogs" down here are just abominable.
I recall going to the Foxboro Sports Bar in Naples, they used to offer them, then took them off, missed them when they did that.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago

Can't beat a saugy.
GO RAMS
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Big lines at the concessions for those $2 Rhody Dogs?
The concession stands were grossly understaffed. Talk about missing a chance for a lot of revenue. All the beer concessions only had one person working with long lines. The lines moved extremely slow because the one person working had to check IDs and serve the beer. I heard a person saying they went to get a beer at halftime, but the beer was shut off 5 minutes into the 2nd half so after waiting in line for 20 minutes in line they couldn't even get a beer. The cost of hiring another person could have been covered with one extra sale at $13 a beer. The demand was there but it wasn't taken advantage of. I hate to say it but typical URI
Port Charlotte Ram
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Port Charlotte Ram »

I sell saugies at my restaurant RJ's New England Seafood Port Charlotte Fl also Twin Lobster sells them over the counter
Last edited by Port Charlotte Ram 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

79RhodyFan wrote: 1 year ago
The concession stands were grossly understaffed. Talk about missing a chance for a lot of revenue. All the beer concessions only had one person working with long lines. The lines moved extremely slow because the one person working had to check IDs and serve the beer. I heard a person saying they went to get a beer at halftime, but the beer was shut off 5 minutes into the 2nd half so after waiting in line for 20 minutes in line they couldn't even get a beer. The cost of hiring another person could have been covered with one extra sale at $13 a beer. The demand was there but it wasn't taken advantage of. I hate to say it but typical URI
Yep.
The lines at concession stands were huge the entire 1st half, halftime and even 5 minutes into the 2nd half the lines were still long but not as long as 1st half. I refused to wait in lines like that.
2nd half I decided to try the North Lobby Concession stand downstairs and there were 3 people in line ahead of me in 2 separate lines. Took about 5 minutes but I got my 2 hot dogs.
I thought the same. Typical URI. They have a promotion and then don't staff or plan adequately and the good will that could have come from such an event was not maximized.

I'd put that comment in my Ryan Center Experience Survey but surveys from the Ryan are non-existent.

They are having $2 Hot Dogs for Sunday's WBB Game vs Loyola of Chicago. Hope Tammy gets on the Ryan Center Staff Management beforehand.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/11 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)lays and intereeb

Unread post by section(105) »

It is always amazing to me how apparently bad these type of customer service things the RC does poorly. Not even to get into the lack of replays and poor interweb. Nothing like the AMP speed lines with service coolers stocked with 24oz lites etc, then swipe to pay. Maybe someday.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/11 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)lays and intereeb

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago

It is always amazing to me how apparently bad these type of customer service things the RC does poorly. Not even to get into the lack of replays and poor interweb. Nothing like the AMP speed lines with service coolers stocked with 24oz lites etc, then swipe to pay. Maybe someday.
When will the state spend the money on the Ryan Center for that type of infrastructure that they're doing for the pit up north?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It just doesn't seem to matter...."any" line is a long line. The pace of transactions is grueling....I'm not even sure extra people can fix it. Just the basic transaction speed is brutal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Port Charlotte Ram wrote: 1 year ago I sell saugies at my restaurant RJ's New England Seafood Port Charlotte Fl also Twin Lobster sells them over the counter
My brother just moved to Port Charlotte. I told him to check you out. Take care of him ;)
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago Is it just me, or is anyone else starting to see a little Tom Garrick in Ish?
I saw a similarity his first year when he was angling guys to the sideline while challenging their dribble. Last year, Ish did not look like a fluid athlete when I wathced him at the Ryan Center and he really struggled finishing on the break and was often out of control and off balance when trying to score in the paint. This season, Ish looks great finishing on the break and has been keeping his balance much better when navigating the paint and does remind me of Tom Garrick who also really came on as an offensive player in his third season as a Ram. They are both high energy players who hustle and chase down loose balls and rebounds. Garrick had the ability to stop on a dime and rise up for a quick jump shot before his defender could react but otherwise Ish has some similar moves.
Port Charlotte Ram
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Port Charlotte Ram »

just tell him to let us know he's your brother would be proud to meet him Blue ram
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Port Charlotte Ram wrote: 1 year ago I sell saugies at my restaurant RJ's New England Seafood Port Charlotte Fl also Twin Lobster sells them over the counter
Might be worth a trip across the state one day ...
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Port Charlotte Ram wrote: 1 year ago just tell him to let us know he's your brother would be proud to meet him Blue ram
Thanks P C Ram, I let him know. My mom and youngest brother are down there as well. I'm sure they will visit!!!!