Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago The fact that Miller immediately stepped up and confirmed employment status tells me all I need to know.

Let’s play basketball!

Go Rhody.
Well, we better see some 4* recruits here soon.

We currently have multiple.

Also had multiple at the end of Cox’s tenure.

Emoni Bates was hailed the next Durant, #1 in country and shot under 40% from the field, averaged less than 10 ppr in The American, and is now playing for Eastern Michigan. Stars mean less and less every year, especially now with the portal.

No point in getting all worked up about stars, even though that’s all you care about.
Go Rhody
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Fuck that Iona coach.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago The fact that Miller immediately stepped up and confirmed employment status tells me all I need to know.

Let’s play basketball!

Go Rhody.

Emoni Bates was hailed the next Durant, #1 in country and shot under 40% from the field, averaged less than 10 ppr in The American, and is now playing for Eastern Michigan. Stars mean less and less every year, especially now with the portal.

No point in getting all worked up about stars, even though that’s all you care about.
We do not have 1 4* Freshman recruit. Unless I missed something.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

You could cry about if you think that will help.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The NCAA will punish Little Ricky by putting Jacksonville State on probation. Nothing like being in the Cartel.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We do not have 1 4* Freshman recruit. Unless I missed something.
I count every single player on this team as a recruit, regardless of how they arrived here.

Each player was recruited to come play here, and we have multiple 4 star kids on the team.

You did not specify what type of 4* in your initial post.

Oh, and just for shits and giggles, Brandon Weston is a redshirt FRESHMAN, so we do have a 4* freshman recruit.
Go Rhody
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Wow just heard this news. This is complete bullshit. The other assistant was like eight times more culpable than Johnson and they get the same penalty?? And Pitino gets nothing!! Outrageous and complete bullshit!! He is the captain of the ship, if these guys are penalized there is no way in hell that Pitino should not be, they report and work for him. But all the BS he said and did after being fired by Louisville, and suing them, Louisville counter suing and then an agreement reached where he got most of his money owed him caused the NCAA to just turtle. The NCAA just grabbed their ankles and said OK Rick nothing for you as we do not want to be sued and for you to run to your lackeys in the press and make us look bad. But those two assistants of yours will pay!!

I can tell you that he was well vetted in this process and this came as a complete shock. This was not expected in any way shape or form and I would even say that he is getting punished because Pitino is not. Somebody had to pay. Everyone expected the assistant letting hookers into the players dorms and on recruit visits to get slapped hard but the same punishment for Johnson?? Outrageous and the NCAA can go f themselves.

And what a bunch of loyal fans we have on this site who wanted to fire the guy. Nice job Bos8 breaking down how highly thought of he is in that room. Thank God Archie has a little more loyalty than to fire a coach who he knows was just made a scapegoat for what happened at Louisville.

And Pitino is a sanctimonious piece of shit!! But he does play the Chris Carter card well, always have a fall guy.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What was it, like 2 people questioning whether he would/should get fired? Hardly seems worth getting all bent out of shape about and trying to make it sound like there were a whole bunch of people calling for him to be canned.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Oh my God, look at what the slime ball had to say about this.

Eff him.
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Funny he doesn’t even mention Kenny by name
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Funny he doesn’t even mention Kenny by name
I know. "That Rhode Island assistant". What a piece of scum Pitino is.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Let’s play basketball!

Go Rhody.
Ditto!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Let’s play basketball!

Go Rhody.
It tells me that Johnson is a really good assistant and Miller knows he needs him, regardless of anything else going on. Miller took a chance of sorts hiring him. His “baggage” is why he was at La Salle (of all places!) and then basically unemployed at the time of his hiring. Louisville plays fast and loose with a lot of stuff. No one died, life will go on, but it’s still there and so far, it’s to Rhody basketball’s advantage.

Imagine being an assistant and wanting to work with Pitino. A true deal with the devil situation. You’ll get something out of it, but that dude will drop you and trash your name to save his own ass every single time. That “Iona is my last coaching job” talk dried up pretty quickly, too. Now that he’s avoided major punishment again, he’ll be back at a better job in no time.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI's best recruiter is sidelined for two years. It shows desperation that URI knew everything and still hired Kenny. It does explain why Kenny would accept a position at URI - reputable programs would not touch him.

Does Duane have similar baggage? Yes or no, he is stained, fairly or unfairly.

Why couldn't Archie find a job for a year until a lowly program like URI comes calling? Makes you wonder.

All this brought to you by the same bozo that hired Gordie Ernst,

As a URI alum, I'm embarrassed.
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago URI's best recruiter is sidelined for two years. It shows desperation that URI knew everything and still hired Kenny. It does explain why Kenny would accept a position at URI - reputable programs would not touch him.

Why couldn't Archie find a job for a year until a lowly program like URI comes calling? Makes you wonder.

All this brought to you by the same bozo who said Cox would be a great head coach and needed to be extended before big programs came calling.....
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

One of my favorite movies is Pulp Fiction. I am all about redemption!
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago URI's best recruiter is sidelined for two years. It shows desperation that URI knew everything and still hired Kenny. It does explain why Kenny would accept a position at URI - reputable programs would not touch him.

I know you're a troll, and you're good. For those newer here who don't understand that you live under a bridge, let me explain to them how any actual person who would believe this is a moron. This is a brilliant attempt at trolling because no person with an IQ above a spoon actually believes this. This is the satirical take of someone who wears a hockey helmet to bed, a mask alone in their car, and requires signage like "don't dump this on your lap it will hurt" on their coffee to avoid injury.

Someone with an opinion like this should be barred from voting until they can pass reading comprehension tests meant for 2nd graders. Thankfully no one actually believes this and I'm sure 72 can actually make it out of their garage without the assistance of a map. But I'm taking the bait and laying out the facts in case any smooth-brained individuals, like the person 72 pretends to be, would believe such an idiotic, stupid, and incorrect take. But very on brand.

Point one - as described, nowhere near as bad as previously thought. It's essentially a slap on the wrist. On the one hand, he's still here and leveraging connections for Archie and Duane to continue recruiting. On the other hand he's a great coach who can develop players...how do you think he got those connections? To the overarching theme of anyone who thinks basketball recruiting is a squeaky clean business - you can wake up anytime. The fact that we have an incredibly young team, some red shirts, and a full recruiting class tells me we're good.

I'm not sure it shows "desperation" as much as it shows that we got lucky Kenny fell into our price range for assistants. Even at our current assistant pool levels, he was making more than our entire pool at Louisville. Were we desperate when we hired Jim Harrick?

The Duane point is stupid, irrelevant, and pointless, like you and your life considering the time you take to type sewage on this board.

The Archie point is equally dumb, as the guy got unexpectedly fired and had a chance to get paid and spend time with his family for a year. I'm not sure URI is a "lowly" program considering we hung 2 conference banners in the very recent past and Archie was 2x COY in the same conference.

The Gordie Ernst point should be more of a shot at Georgetown AD Lee Read, who gave Ernst a glowing recommendation to Thorr. Not for nothing the federal government doesn't advertise when they're investigating someone. So you can suck one there too.

The only thing you should be embarrassed about is that 1) most of your free time is spent spewing things you don't believe on an internet message board to rile up a few dozen people who care enough to respond like me. Or 2) that on the 2% chance you actually believe the shit you say on here, that your brain lacks a significant amount of wrinkles and the fact that my dog would smoke you in an "identifying shapes" contest.

In Archie we trust, I hope you hit every red light you come across.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

I know you're a troll, and you're good. For those newer here who don't understand that you live under a bridge, let me explain to them how any actual person who would believe this is a moron. This is a brilliant attempt at trolling because no person with an IQ above a spoon actually believes this. This is the satirical take of someone who wears a hockey helmet to bed, a mask alone in their car, and requires signage like "don't dump this on your lap it will hurt" on their coffee to avoid injury.

Someone with an opinion like this should be barred from voting until they can pass reading comprehension tests meant for 2nd graders. Thankfully no one actually believes this and I'm sure 72 can actually make it out of their garage without the assistance of a map. But I'm taking the bait and laying out the facts in case any smooth-brained individuals, like the person 72 pretends to be, would believe such an idiotic, stupid, and incorrect take. But very on brand.

Point one - as described, nowhere near as bad as previously thought. It's essentially a slap on the wrist. On the one hand, he's still here and leveraging connections for Archie and Duane to continue recruiting. On the other hand he's a great coach who can develop players...how do you think he got those connections? To the overarching theme of anyone who thinks basketball recruiting is a squeaky clean business - you can wake up anytime. The fact that we have an incredibly young team, some red shirts, and a full recruiting class tells me we're good.

I'm not sure it shows "desperation" as much as it shows that we got lucky Kenny fell into our price range for assistants. Even at our current assistant pool levels, he was making more than our entire pool at Louisville. Were we desperate when we hired Jim Harrick?

The Duane point is stupid, irrelevant, and pointless, like you and your life considering the time you take to type sewage on this board.

The Archie point is equally dumb, as the guy got unexpectedly fired and had a chance to get paid and spend time with his family for a year. I'm not sure URI is a "lowly" program considering we hung 2 conference banners in the very recent past and Archie was 2x COY in the same conference.

The Gordie Ernst point should be more of a shot at Georgetown AD Lee Read, who gave Ernst a glowing recommendation to Thorr. Not for nothing the federal government doesn't advertise when they're investigating someone. So you can suck one there too.

The only thing you should be embarrassed about is that 1) most of your free time is spent spewing things you don't believe on an internet message board to rile up a few dozen people who care enough to respond like me. Or 2) that on the 2% chance you actually believe the shit you say on here, that your brain lacks a significant amount of wrinkles and the fact that my dog would smoke you in an "identifying shapes" contest.

Epic Blue Man! Epic.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

35A0F9AA-3FFB-4CB3-A616-E66939897CF8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago One of my favorite movies is Pulp Fiction. I am all about redemption!
So are you going to walk the earth? Have adventures and shit?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

HahHahaha yes!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

On the other hand he's a great coach who can develop players...how do you think he got those connections?
While I always enjoy the ripping apart of 72, the above line is probably the most important. Coaches/High Schools/Organizations have a relationship with him built off trust and development.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago You could cry about if you think that will help.
This is what you come back on the board to say? Maybe you should keep staying off.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

You should only be embarrassed for posting this drivel. I’m embarrassed to have you as an alum and fan.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Pitino goes after Johnson. Several URI mentions. Interesting bit on his contract with Rhody and the school's decision not to invoke the termination clause.

Rick Pitino Says Former Louisville Assistant Is A ’Pathological Liar’ And Ruined His Life
https://www.leoweekly.com/2023/01/rick- ... -his-life/
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I guess URI will not be scheduling a game against Iona for a while!

Also, it is suspicious that URI retained Kenny. Does he have dirt on Archie and Thorr? Preston will have an easier time finding another college coaching job than Kenny. Not for the violation but for ratting out what was going on at U of L.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Pitino goes after Johnson. Several URI mentions. Interesting bit on his contract with Rhody and the school's decision not to invoke the termination clause.

Rick Pitino Says Former Louisville Assistant Is A ’Pathological Liar’ And Ruined His Life
Really good find !!

Get over it Slick Ricky !!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Pitino goes after Johnson. Several URI mentions. Interesting bit on his contract with Rhody and the school's decision not to invoke the termination clause.

Really good find !!

My favorite part is where he pretends to care about what happens to his family...or his teams.

Yes, Rick, this supposed operation that you had "no idea" about was sooooo detrimental to you.

You make it sound like KJ slept with the wife of your team's equipment manager, got her pregnant, and paid for the abortion - all while being married himself.

Oh wait, that was you? Go fuck yourself.

If you re-read about that Bowen thing - the way he comes off is so so soooooo fake. "We got so lucky, we made this 5 star kid pay for his own unofficial visit and then he committed." Suuuuuuuuure. So what's more believable - that KJ did all of this behind your back, and a 30 year coaching veteran who's been up to his eyeballs in this type of recruiting (after the prostitution recruiting scandal no less), and you got taken advantage of? Or you were involved and needed ANOTHER assistant to be your fall guy.

Shut up dude. Least sympathetic figure in coaching. Go bang another whore in a restaurant you piece of shit.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Really good find !!

My favorite part is where he pretends to care about what happens to his family...or his teams.

Yes, Rick, this supposed operation that you had "no idea" about was sooooo detrimental to you.

You make it sound like KJ slept with the wife of your team's equipment manager, got her pregnant, and paid for the abortion - all while being married himself.

If you re-read about that Bowen thing - the way he comes off is so so soooooo fake. "We got so lucky, we made this 5 star kid pay for his own unofficial visit and then he committed." Suuuuuuuuure. So what's more believable - that KJ did all of this behind your back, and a 30 year coaching veteran who's been up to his eyeballs in this type of recruiting (after the prostitution recruiting scandal no less), and you got taken advantage of? Or you were involved and needed ANOTHER assistant to be your fall guy.

Shut up dude. Least sympathetic figure in coaching. Go bang another whore in a restaurant you piece of shit.
I am with you Blue Man, I never trusted anything from Slick Rick.

But be prepared for the backlash from this board, because several here are strong Pitino supporters and wanted him hired in 2018.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Really good find !!

But be prepared for the backlash from this board, because several here are strong Pitino supporters and wanted him hired in 2018.
Hopefully people can compartmentalize the fact he is regarded, even now, as one of the best basketball minds in the sport from an Xs and Os standpoint (as was called out by CBS Sports) and be able to separate that fact from the fact that he is a giant scumbag who will steamroll his own family if he stands to benefit from it. Never forget what Pitino did to Red Auerbach during his brief stint with the Celtics. Pitino can fuck all the way off.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

Hopefully people can compartmentalize the fact he is regarded, even now, as one of the best basketball minds in the sport from an Xs and Os standpoint (as was called out by CBS Sports) and be able to separate that fact from the fact that he is a giant scumbag who will steamroll his own family if he stands to benefit from it. Never forget what Pitino did to Red Auerbach during his brief stint with the Celtics. Pitino can fuck all the way off.
He clearly is not responsible for the success of the programs he coached. Just ask him. He has no idea what takes place in his program, it's all his assistants
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Wait! I recall posters here wanting to hire Pitino to replace Cox!
Why is no one here calling out KJ for being not being honest with NCAA investigators?

My point is that we are all too quick to condemn other team's coaches and forgive our own.
NCAAs or Bust!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Why would anyone in their right mind believe anything that Pitino says?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago Why would anyone in their right mind believe anything that Pitino says?
I could care less what Pitino says or thinks. I am on previous record here stating he is scum. His criticism of Kenny therefore has little bearing on me. I posted the link last night more for the bits about URI, Johnson's contract, and URI's decision not to invoke the termination clause.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago Why would anyone in their right mind believe anything that Pitino says?
I could care less what Pitino says or thinks. I am on previous record here stating he is scum. His criticism of Kenny therefore has little bearing on me. I posted the link last night more for the bits about URI, Johnson's contract, and URI's decision not to invoke the termination clause.
Does it surprise you, RF1, that Johnson is here considering fellow A10 member LaSalle dismissed him for his involvement? It’s one thing to dismiss Johnson, but what must LaSalle think when an A10 team then goes out and hires him?

Johnson had previously been dismissed as an assistant coach at La Salle University after being implicated in the NCAA’s 2020 Notice of Allegations to U of L.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Does it surprise you, RF1, that Johnson is here considering fellow A10 member LaSalle dismissed him for his involvement? It’s one thing to dismiss Johnson, but what must LaSalle think when an A10 team then goes out and hires him?

Johnson had previously been dismissed as an assistant coach at La Salle University after being implicated in the NCAA’s 2020 Notice of Allegations to U of L.
I think you've made the false assumption that La Salle is "thinking" when it comes to basketball operations. There isn't much evidence that that is going on.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

I think you've made the false assumption that La Salle is "thinking" when it comes to basketball operations. There isn't much evidence that that is going on.

I mean, they did just beat us.

Their newly hired coach is very accomplished as well. Not like they hired some scrub off the street.
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

LaSalle hired Johnson in May-2018 and fired him in May-2020 right after he got implicated in the NCAA's Notice of Allegations to Louisville. He was then out of D1 college coaching for some time. He was hired by URI in April-2022 with the threat of possible NCAA punishment. I think Thorr and Archie took a risk hoping he would get off without much penalty. These were Thorr's words at the time:

“We are fully aware that Kenny is part of the NCAA notice of allegation that is under review,” Rhode Island Director of Athletics Thorr Bjorn said. “Kenny has been fully transparent with us, and he comes to Rhode Island with the highest recommendations from people who have worked with him. He is well respected in the industry and has an excellent reputation as a coach. This is someone who can truly help our program.”
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Does anyone know what the full scope of the 2 years ban on recruiting is?Can he go to high school games, can he talk the Aau/prep school coaches, will these coaches steer away from any communication with Johnson , or is it more like he cannot communicate directly with a recruit or his family?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Does anyone know what the full scope of the 2 years ban on recruiting is?Can he go to high school games, can he talk the Aau/prep school coaches, will these coaches steer away from any communication with Johnson , or is it more like he cannot communicate directly with a recruit or his family?
Earlier in this thread.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Their newly hired coach is very accomplished as well. Not like they hired some scrub off the street.
I was going to say the same thing R15, in fact had already typed it and cancelled just before you said it.

Frustrating when we try to act like we are so far above LaSalle, Fordham and Duquesne. We are now in the same tier with them, unfortunately.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I was going to say the same thing R15, in fact had already typed it and cancelled just before you said it.

Frustrating when we try to act like we are so far above LaSalle, Fordham and Duquesne. We are now in the same tier with them, unfortunately.
I mean, no? I realize five or six years without an NCAA berth seems like forever ago for us, but we've won 20 games as recently as 2019-20. La Salle has managed that twice in the past 20 years with one NCAA berth, Duquesne has done it twice with zero NCAA berths, and Fordham has topped out at 18 wins once. It's OK to acknowledge that we've kind of sucked recently, but there's still a layer of crap between us and the bottom three, and probably another layer between Fordham and the other two.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LaSalle hired Johnson in May-2018 and fired him in May-2020 right after he got implicated in the NCAA's Notice of Allegations to Louisville. He was then out of D1 college coaching for some time. He was hired by URI in April-2022 with the threat of possible NCAA punishment. I think Thorr and Archie took a risk hoping he would get off without much penalty. These were Thorr's words at the time:

“We are fully aware that Kenny is part of the NCAA notice of allegation that is under review,” Rhode Island Director of Athletics Thorr Bjorn said. “Kenny has been fully transparent with us, and he comes to Rhode Island with the highest recommendations from people who have worked with him. He is well respected in the industry and has an excellent reputation as a coach. This is someone who can truly help our program.”
RF1,
2 hypothetical questions:

True, LaSalle hired Johnson even when NCAA violations were being investigated at Louisville.

But then with LaSalle firing him, does it surprise you that URI hired him?

I find it interesting that so many here have a huge dislike for Pitino, yet seem ok or more than ok with hiring Johnson who worked for Pitino and allegedly had the $1,300 for Bruce Bowen's father.

Question 1: If Dr Dooley nixed the hiring of Rick Pitino 5 years ago (and you know who is rumored to have wanted Pitino hired here) would Dr Dooley have nixed the hiring of Kenny Johnson as an Assistant Coach here at URI assuming he was still URI President today?

Question 2: If the current URI administration was OK hiring Kenny Johnson as Assistant Coach (even after theNCAA revelations), then hypothetically would the current administration (Thorr Bjorn and Dr Parlange) have been ok with hiring Rick Pitino at URI 5 years ago assuming they were in power then?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1,

True, LaSalle hired Johnson even when NCAA violations were being investigated at Louisville.

I find it interesting that so many here have a huge dislike for Pitino, yet seem ok or more than ok with hiring Johnson who worked for Pitino and allegedly had the $1,300 for Bruce Bowen's father.

Question 1: If Dr Dooley nixed the hiring of Rick Pitino 5 years ago (and you know who is rumored to have wanted Pitino hired here) would Dr Dooley have nixed the hiring of Kenny Johnson as an Assistant Coach here at URI assuming he was still URI President today?

Question 2: If the current URI administration was OK hiring Kenny Johnson as Assistant Coach (even after theNCAA revelations), then hypothetically would the current administration (Thorr Bjorn and Dr Parlange) have been ok with hiring Rick Pitino at URI 5 years ago assuming they were in power then?
Ramster just to add my opinion.
Can't really compare KJ to Pitino.

First of all, with KJ we are talking an assistant's position.
He wouldn't be the face of the program like the HC.
Besides he deserves a 2nd chance, and that one mistake shouldn't define his career.
Just like I think Murphy deserves another chance.

Pitino has had a long history of issues going back to his first coaching job at Hawaii, where he was fired for scandals and NCAA infractions.
His questionable behavior and character flaws over the years isn't something we wanted to deal with.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1,

Besides he deserves a 2nd chance, and that one mistake shouldn't define his career.

Pitino has had a long history of issues going back to his first coaching job at Hawaii, where he was fired for scandals and NCAA infractions.
His questionable behavior and character flaws over the years isn't something we wanted to deal with.
so what would your answer to my 2 questions be?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1,

so what would your answer to my 2 questions be?
I don't think so, because at the time with the team dynamics and recruits, plus Hurley's endorsement, I think Thorr was all in on Cox and felt he deserved the opportunity.
Also, at that time and with the ongoing NCAA investigation and of course everything else, I don't think they wanted to risk having "Slick Rick" being the face of our program.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I think the two big differences in the attitude between Pitino and Johnson are
1. Pitino has been slimy as hell his whole career, establishing a pattern of behavior, where Johnson hasn't necessarily established a pattern, and
2. Everyone knows that the head coaches use the assistants to carry out this garbage. Pitino damn sure knew what was going on with everything in his program, but because it was an assistant doing it Pitino gets plausible deniability if/when it gets discovered
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

I think the two big differences in the attitude between Pitino and Johnson are
1. Pitino has been slimy as hell his whole career, establishing a pattern of behavior, where Johnson hasn't necessarily established a pattern, and
2. Everyone knows that the head coaches use the assistants to carry out this garbage. Pitino damn sure knew what was going on with everything in his program, but because it was an assistant doing it Pitino gets plausible deniability if/when it gets discovered
Yes 02, like I am sure young assistant coach Andre McGee (26 years old) had the finances and know-how to arrange sex parties, prostitutes, and strippers for the recruits without Slick Rick having any knowledge about what was going on in his program.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I mean, no? I realize five or six years without an NCAA berth seems like forever ago for us, but we've won 20 games as recently as 2019-20. La Salle has managed that twice in the past 20 years with one NCAA berth, Duquesne has done it twice with zero NCAA berths, and Fordham has topped out at 18 wins once. It's OK to acknowledge that we've kind of sucked recently, but there's still a layer of crap between us and the bottom three, and probably another layer between Fordham and the other two.
Greenwell,
This was my question to RF1:

Then you respond with:

Personally I think it is wrong to quickly discount the quality of another school's Athletic Director, President, Lawyers, High Ranking Alumni, etc in deciding 1st to Hire Kenny Johnson even in the wake of the NCAA Investigation and then 2nd to fire Kenny Johnson later on when further details of the NCAA Investigation are brought forth. You discounted LaSalle's decision on Kenny Johnson because of their poor record of Basketball Performance in the A10. Yet the same Organization hired him and then fired him.

So if the bottom teams in the A10 should not have their decisions taken seriously then it's the top performing teams that we should trust?

I simply disagree that the performance of a team whether it be short, medium or long term has much, if anything, to do with legality decisions involving the NCAA.
Maybe even the opposite is true if you want to go there: North Carolina, Kentucky, Arizona, LSU........

Interesting to me is that a fellow A10 Team (whether it be LaSalle or any other team) hired Kenny Johnson who was involved in the NCAA Investigation at Louisville, then LaSalle fired Kenny Johnson 2 years later when details of the investigation surfaced (involving $1300 to be given by Kenny Johnson to Bowen's father). Then with NCAA Investigation complete URI hires Kenny Johnson.

Personally I am fine with hiring Kenny Johnson. No problem for me. Kids are all legally getting paid now anyway. Let the money fly. I don't like paying the players but it's the world today.

Personally I was always good with hiring Pitino when Hurley departed. 2 consecutive Round of 32 NCAA appearances warranted hiring a higher caliber guy than an Assistant with no HC experience. Talk was Thorr and Ryan wanted Pitino - Dr Dooley didn't - end of story.

Most here despise Pitino. Can't stand him. Would never in a million years hire him, make that a trillion.

Yet, is there not at least a bit of hypocrisy at play when nobody remotely objects or questions the hiring of Kenny Johnson who was Pitino's AC at Louisville who allegedly got caught?

Again,
I'd hire both guy - Pitino AND Johnson. Just seems odd how we defend URI's hiring decisions without any question.

I'd say if Dr Parlange was in place 5 years ago Hurley would still be HC because we could have gotten the money and the infrastructure improvements desired by Hurley somehow, someway. If Hurley still left despite the pay and infrastructure provisions, then we would have hired Pitino or someone else with HC experience - not an Assistant. I also don't think Johnson would have gotten hired had Dr Dooley been here this year.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.