2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago We just offered a 6’9” juco forward which would indicate Archie knows we need bigs ready to play to balance all the youth.
But people here keep saying he doesn't want to deal with the transfer route?????? :lol:
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Was it Clammy that kept saying Top One Hundy? Maybe someone else.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago We just offered a 6’9” juco forward which would indicate Archie knows we need bigs ready to play to balance all the youth.
The coach who is paid about $1.7m a year now realizes he needs this? I’m pretty sure everyone on this board already knew that. But sadly maybe that’s because we have been through a few of these rebuilds before and this scale of a rebuild is new to Archie.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago
The coach who is paid about $1.7m a year now realizes he needs this? I’m pretty sure everyone on this board already knew that. But sadly maybe that’s because we have been through a few of these rebuilds before and this scale of a rebuild is new to Archie.
Ya kinda gotta back off on the coach. He came on board in March and had to basically get a new team together quick. Or else we wouldn't have a team this year. He does need to hit some home run top freshman though, which I'm confident he will do.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Not sure he knew Fouma was gonna redshirt and that Bilau was gonna have a entire knee injury.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Ya kinda gotta back off on the coach. He came on board in March and had to basically get a new team together quick. Or else we wouldn't have a team this year. He does need to hit some home run top freshman though, which I'm confident he will do.
Archie definitely gets a pass because he was out of coaching last season and didn't get in a full recruiting cycle, when hired earlier this past year.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Who?
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
Who?
Tyson Brown.
Look in the recruiting thread
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Archie gets a pass, so this seasons $1.7m is just a gift and next year is when we are supposed to expect things? Yes he did not have a whole recruiting cycle but are any other new coaches having success this year or did they all get a pass? Seems like another Miller who was also unemployed last year is doing fine. I know all circumstances are not the same, but he doesn’t get a pass…if things were going great would this season not count in your opinion of his job performance?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Archie gets a pass, so this seasons $1.7m is just a gift and next year is when we are supposed to expect things? Yes he did not have a whole recruiting cycle but are any other new coaches having success this year or did they all get a pass? Seems like another Miller who was also unemployed last year is doing fine.
Yeah, I don't know. I haven't seen any top recruits yet. We supposedly have a top shelf assistant staff. But I haven't seen us seriously involved in any top recruits. So I do have my own worries. With DH, we had EC committed who was a 4* HS recruit along with Hass and Jarvis for his second year.
ArchieOrBust
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ArchieOrBust »

Let’s be real if Archie didn’t lose the twins we’d be top 4 might even be higher this season with how garbage the A10 is this year. Losing those twins was more than a huge lose.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Archie gets a pass, so this seasons $1.7m is just a gift and next year is when we are supposed to expect things? Yes he did not have a whole recruiting cycle but are any other new coaches having success this year or did they all get a pass? Seems like another Miller who was also unemployed last year is doing fine. I know all circumstances are not the same, but he doesn’t get a pass…if things were going great would this season not count in your opinion of his job performance?
Yes RIF, Archie does get a pass this season.
He is building for a long-term successful program, even if it means this season will be a struggle.
Being out of coaching for a year does put him behind in recruiting.

Don't even compare his situation to his brother Sean's.
Xavier is coming off an NIT Championship season.
They returned a solid core from that team: Nunge, Freemantle, Jones, Kunkel, and Hunter.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sorry, not giving him a pass because he didn’t coach last year. I don’t even want to hear that bs.

His brother was out multiple years and faced sanctions and is top of the Big East and will be ranked Top 20.

All those kids on Xavier could have left. They didn’t.

That’s soft as shit giving him a pass because he didn’t coach last year.

Archie whiffed on getting higher impart kids such as Femi, N’Guessan and Durogordon. Had to settle for what we currently have.

Obviously I didn’t expect to compete for postseason tournaments this year, but also did not expect us to be this inept.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ArchieOrBust wrote: 1 year ago Let’s be real if Archie didn’t lose the twins we’d be top 4 might even be higher this season with how garbage the A10 is this year. Losing those twins was more than a huge lose.
GTFOH
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Sorry, not giving him a pass because he didn’t coach last year. I don’t even want to hear that bs.

His brother was out multiple years and faced sanctions and is top of the Big East and will be ranked Top 20.

Archie whiffed on getting higher impart kids such as Femi, N’Guessan and Durogordon. Had to settle for what we currently have.
Look at what Archie came into compared to Sean.
No comparison, not even close.

Sean did have his issues at Arizona, but he has a strong resume.
Top 10 winning % among all active NCAA coaches.
Also produced 13 players drafted in the NBA including 5 lottery picks.
Not to mention his previous success at Xavier.
Why would any of those players leave from the previous season?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Sorry, not giving him a pass because he didn’t coach last year. I don’t even want to hear that bs.

3 of their starters are 5th year seniors, including one transfer. Sean obviously had to recruit them to stay instead of playing professionally.

I don’t know, I just have a hard time giving Archie a pass and basically punting away this season.

I expected .500 ball this season, and no way did I think we’d struggled to win 10 games.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

3 of their starters are 5th year seniors, including one transfer. Sean obviously had to recruit them to stay instead of playing professionally.

I don’t know, I just have a hard time giving Archie a pass and basically punting away this season.

I expected .500 ball this season, and no way did I think we’d struggled to win 10 games.
I hear ya. Archie had to recruit Carey, Martin, Thomas and Ish to stay.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

People told me I was wrong when I said I wanted to keep the twins. I thought they could have been great under Archie, but it is what it is. I get why Archie wanted a clean slate.

I wanted Durugordon, but I trusted the staff. So far, it looks like a big miss. I guess they went with the higher-upside long-term player in Weston. But I would have preferred both players.

No coach getting paid what Archie is should get a complete pass for any season. I agree that you have to factor in that he was off for a year, which is why I have higher expectations for this next class. If he has a bunch of misses again, I'll start worrying.

As many of you already know, I think Cam Esteves is a stud, and Connor could end up being a nice piece once he adjusts to this next level. Both help fill our desperate need for more shooters...However, I still don't expect two freshmen to come in and dominate from day one, so I expect him to land more immediate impact players like that Juco big. We need it.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Archie walked onto campus, opened up shop with what? Thomas, Carey, Samb, Ish, and Martin and a walk on……..not exactly a stellar group and then cobble together some portal players and here we are. Gonna be a long road to A-10 relevance again. Not an issue for me on Archie getting a pass or not, just the reality of situation.
Last edited by section(105) 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am sure Archie is also very disappointed, I don't think he purposely punted.
Shit happens, but still there were no high expectations.

I think he was hoping Ant would have a qualified and took a chance on him.
The 2 injuries to Bilau weren't planned.
Bray struggling out of the gate was a surprise.
Also, who knows what went into the Foumena decision to RS.
In addition, Hutch getting mono weakened him and put him behind.

I do see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Obviously, no-one gets a total/complete pass.
I didn't mean it like that.
They still have to go to work and do their job.
Archie just feels that he is doing the right thing for the good of the program going forward.
And yeah, I am taking it easy on him for this season.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I agree, Jersey. Sean inherited a much better program than Archie.

Sean is a fantastic coach, but it's easier to recruit at a big east school, and he inherited a better roster.

Did I expect a better season? 100%. I'm surprised we are this bad. I really am. But you can see that this team is coached well. I haven't lost faith in this staff whatsoever. Archie will get us back to the top of the A10.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm expecting news on the recruiting front. This staff needs to produce some high recruits.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I agree they appear well coached, it’s his recruiting and talent evaluation that seems not up to expectations. Usually there is excitement and a new staff can sell a vision and at least in Dan’s case get immediate impact players. Archie has a much longer and more distinguished career than Dan did when he took over.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think he could have been more aggressive in the transfer portal and I think he should be more aggressive in the transfer portal in the future.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Yes, Archie knows what is needed. He took over a mismanaged situation that should never been allowed to occur.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just want to see his first big recruit. A cornerstone. To get national attention on this program. To get things moving. Hope it happens soon.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

As the season has played out, reality has smacked me in the face.

We have a long way to go before we get to NCAA Tourney level. Not just get there but be good enough to be competitive in a tourney game or win a game in the tourney.

When I watch tourney level teams play, the talent gap is significant right now. But, it’s only a snap shot of now and that doesn’t mean that gap can’t close some next season as our players get more experience under this staff, IF their skills improve and IF we add a couple of key pieces.

I think - IF all goes right - we could be playing meaningful games next year. I am not saying tourney or NIT potential but maybe just outside NIT with maybe a shot at it (NIT) if the conference remains down and the majority of breaks fall our way.

For me that is best case and most optimistic scenario, right now. And, fwiw, my best case, most optimistic scenario rarely happens.

That said, it will be a longer rebuild than I initially anticipated.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'll say it. This team is soft as pudding. Can't shoot. Can't box out. Can't defend. (they shoot good FT's though lol).
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I just want to see his first big recruit. A cornerstone. To get national attention on this program. To get things moving. Hope it happens soon.
Not saying he will or won’t, but that’s not really his track record. He gets system guys and the system wins games. That was one of the things that frustrated the Indiana people.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I just want to see his first big recruit. A cornerstone. To get national attention on this program. To get things moving. Hope it happens soon.
Not saying he will or won’t, but that’s not really his track record. He gets system guys and the system wins games. That was one of the things that frustrated the Indiana people.
Don’t tell that to blueram, 99.8% of his posts are him just saying he’s waiting to get top 100 4* kids. That gets you a little ESPN blurb which I guess automatically makes your team good.

(Although Archie did get 5* Romeo Langford at Indiana which was a huge deal.)
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Yep a system which is proven to work in the A10
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Don’t tell that to blueram, 99.8% of his posts are him just saying he’s waiting to get top 100 4* kids. That gets you a little ESPN blurb which I guess automatically makes your team good.

(Although Archie did get 5* Romeo Langford at Indiana which was a huge deal.)
I believe it's 99.9% of my posts. Don't cut me short.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Yes, Archie has a system.

Every coach has a system and every coach knows he needs talent. You inject enough talent into your system and you improve your chances of winning. The more talent, the better your chances of winning consistently - assuming the talent remains healthy.

At this point in time, for this years version of Rhody, we have a talent problem. But that is for this year only. That is subject to change through player development, recruiting and the portal from year to year. We will see what the future brings.

I trust Archie will get it done here.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

With everything that is being said.....I believe that 50% of this years players will not be on the team next year and the incoming freshmen and the portal will be utilized to achieve a great program....That is what other teams do and I believe that is what Archie will do.
Every year there will be a group of incoming Freshmen and left over Sophomores and a new group of transfers.
That is the new NCAA
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago With everything that is being said.....I believe that 50% of this years players will not be on the team next year and the incoming freshmen and the portal will be utilized to achieve a great program....That is what other teams do and I believe that is what Archie will do.
Every year there will be a group of incoming Freshmen and left over Sophomores and a new group of transfers.
That is the new NCAA
I'll take (hope for?) the 'over' on 50%?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjv wrote: 1 year ago With everything that is being said.....I believe that 50% of this years players will not be on the team next year and the incoming freshmen and the portal will be utilized to achieve a great program....That is what other teams do and I believe that is what Archie will do.
That is the new NCAA
Looks like Archie is looking at Juco bigs currently.
I still think you are wrong about 50% roster turnover after this season.
Not sure if you are including Martin and Carey.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I agree they appear well coached, it’s his recruiting and talent evaluation that seems not up to expectations. Usually there is excitement and a new staff can sell a vision and at least in Dan’s case get immediate impact players. Archie has a much longer and more distinguished career than Dan did when he took over.
When you consider when Archie was hired, there wasn't much left to recruit for this year.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I agree they appear well coached, it’s his recruiting and talent evaluation that seems not up to expectations. Usually there is excitement and a new staff can sell a vision and at least in Dan’s case get immediate impact players. Archie has a much longer and more distinguished career than Dan did when he took over.
When you consider when Archie was hired, there wasn't much left to recruit for this year.
...could drive big turnover next year?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I
You’re right, he had 1 less day than Dan did, March 20 vs March 21 for uri introduction. That explains the results on the recruiting trail. Even though he now has the new transfer portal rules that Dan didnt have.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I believe that however it occurs 50% of the team will be different If the NCAA changes the transfer rules then that % will change.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I
You’re right, he had 1 less day than Dan did, March 20 vs March 21 for uri introduction. That explains the results on the recruiting trail. Even though he now has the new transfer portal rules that Dan didnt have.
DH was actively coaching and recruiting for Wagner at the time he was hired. Archie had to start from scratch. The portal was picked over by the time Archie was hired. These are significant differences.
NCAAs or Bust!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

True Dan was recruiting for a low level D1 school, that explains how he got high level A10 talent.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

That is the new NCAA
Let’s hope that this is the case as they are not making an NCAA tournament with this as their core. Unfortunately there are many players leaving after this year that would bother me. There are a couple players that it would be nice to develop and could be nice rotational players or maybe a starter someday, but this roster really lacks talent. Who Archie brings in next year outside of the freshman will be very important. A basketball program, unlike in football can be turned around pretty quick with 2-3 good players added to some of the players you currently have
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think Archie being out a year makes his recruiting decisions more questionable. If the best players were picked over, which I don’t agree with, as new players were going in the portal at record pace, then his decision to lock in players with only 3+ years of eligibility from a less than ideal group was questionable at best. As it appears he now sees the error of his ways and is looking to mix in some 2 year players. He should have picked the best players available even if they only had 1 or 2 years to help bridge the gap until he could get back on the trail for a full year and not saddle himself with 3 year + projects. N'GUESSAN and DURUGORDON sure would have had this year looking different. Interestingly Durugordon actually fit his requirements, he just made a bad decision.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago True Dan was recruiting for a low level D1 school, that explains how he got high level A10 talent.
Dan was at least scouting players and making recruiting connections, though. And, I would note that his very first off-season, he brought in Xavier Munford (great player, but essentially a two-year rental), Mike Aaman (rugged big man, probably not the talent for the A-10 level, health issues made him transfer down), retained Jordan Hare (the eternal tease), and transfers Biggie Minnis and Alwayne Bigby. Minnis was ultimately the only one on a URI team that finished .500 or better, as a serviceable backup PG in 2014-15, before he transferred again to Wright State because Jarvis Garrett (freshman) took his starting spot by year's end.

To be charitable, that's a hit rate of 1-for-5, with the hit being a single, unless you want to award some extra credit for Munford or trying his damnedest with Jordan Hare. It was during his first year - with players that debuted during his second - that his recruiting efforts bore fruit that would be on a URI tourney team.

I doubt Archie was starting from absolute zero in recruiting and scouting regard when he took the job, but it was probably pretty close to it. His position was severely diminished - The team sucked in 2021-22, the strong area of that bad team was losing three experienced players, he had to re-recruit players already on the roster, the available talent pool was already depleted because X amount of the good players had already committed elsewhere...

To address something else in this thread, the kind of continual "panic" about the transfer portal as it would regard to this team in particular... The cold truth is that the majority of this roster will not be on a good URI team. Like right this moment, Leggett and Freeman are the guys you would want to retain, Bilau was promising but is now looking at a major rehab, and after that... You can squint and see potential, and I think everyone has their "favorites" when it comes to who they think might be good in the future. But I don't think the confidence level on that is all that high. Hopefully, someone's performance gets more consistent from game-to-game as we get into the A-10 conference play stretch.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I didn’t realize that post about high level a10 players had made it on as I had thought better than posting it. It was actually longer and and I thought I deleted it all…oh well.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Archie did not coach last year and Kenny, our top assistant hadn't coached for 2 years. When it comes to the recruiting side of the business, you can argue that Kenny is almost as important in getting players as Archie is (Before you give me crap, I did say almost).
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Obviously I didn’t expect to compete for postseason tournaments this year, but also did not expect us to be this inept.
Cry me a River

The so called big transfers he “whiffed” on your talking about is funny

Femi is only averaging 20 mins and about 5 points at Seton Hall so big whiff there I guess

Nguessan is averaging 7.5 points per game, he’d definitely would help on the offensive side of the ball, but he is not a traditional big man he’d get abused if he was our only big

Durugordon is playing for Austin Peay…….. not to look down on them but his level of competition is very subpar yes he’d be nice to have but Weston will be better long term imho
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Cry me a River

The so called big transfers he “whiffed” on your talking about is funny

Femi is only averaging 20 mins and about 5 points at Seton Hall so big whiff there I guess

Nguessan is averaging 7.5 points per game, he’d definitely would help on the offensive side of the ball, but he is not a traditional big man he’d get abused if he was our only big

Durugordon is playing for Austin Peay…….. not to look down on them but his level of competition is very subpar yes he’d be nice to have but Weston will be better long term imho
Would you rather those three, or Weston Tchkiou and Bilau?

It’s not even close.

Also it’s hilarious your only metric to justify your argument is PPG.

Femi has been injured, and also was productive at Pitt.

N’Guessan would be our best big man hands down. Has started the whole season for K State.

And you honestly think Archie would have N’Guessan has our only big? What the hell are you talking about?

Durogordon looks like he’ll be an All League player for Austin Peay.
Go Rhody