A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by Obadiah »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Today's conference games along with average NET rankings and lowest ticket price on vividseats.com

(275) Rhode Island at (132) Duquesne (203.5 average NET of the two teams) at 1 $26
(101) St. Louis at (260) St. Joe's (180.5) at 1 $32
(138) Richmond at (104) George Mason (121) at 2 $22
(114) UMass at (200) St. Bonaventure (157) at 2 $39
(291) La Salle at (124) VCU at (207.5) 2 $34
(82) Dayton at (141) Davidson (111.5) at 2 $37
(227) George Washington at (223) Loyola Chicago (225) at 4 (3 pm Chicago time) $6

I have to be honest, I know I got hammered for saying this before, but there's still nothing yet that makes me think adding Loyola Chicago was a no doubt, slam dunk move. Before Porter Moser brought them to the tournament and made the run in 2018 they hadn't been to a tournament since 1985, but he had already left by the time we added them. There's no proof Drew Valentine can win with his own players, he's done everything so far with Porter Moser's players who are now graduating out of the program. They're another second fiddle college program in a pro sports city, $6 for a mid-afternoon weekend conference game shows there's no real fan interest in their program even after their brief run of success.

Way too many people just viewed a brief Cinderella run that didn't appear to be sustainable as proof of what the program was and refused to look at the 30+ years before that. There's significant risk that the conference just added Fordham Midwest
While I don't disagree with some of your overall assessment here, I do not believe you judge Loyola's worthiness in the A-10 on one season. Also, recall that Loyola is the only D1 school in Illinois to have won a D1 national championship. And who is Loyola second fiddle to in Chicagoland? Northwestern, a school that has never made to the NCAA. DePaul? Now there is an example of ineptitude. De Paul who joined the Big East in 2005 and in the 17 seasons since then, has experienced two winning seasons and only one in conference play. Their attendance has plummeted from the 10,000 level to 5,000. Their only advantage over Loyola is they play in a bigger arena and their fan base is somewhat larger. So how did joining the BE help DePaul?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am also in favor of this addition
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I am ok with the Loyola add but think Belmont was and still is a better fit. Plus it adds the rapidly growing Nashville market.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I never quite understood the fascination with Belmont. They have a nice but modest arena and draw on average 2500 fans per game. The A-10 already has a few members with that level fan base.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

The A10 has been gradually heading south, and the Nashville market makes a lot of sense. The A10 needs to grow to prepare for the inevitable poachers from BE or wherever. 2500 isn't great but it can grow. FWIW we're trending down right now ourselves; with an aging season ticket holder base and casual fans currently disengaged.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago I never quite understood the fascination with Belmont. They have a nice but modest arena and draw on average 2500 fans per game. The A-10 already has a few members with that level fan base.
I would have been good with Belmont and travel to Nashville for a game.

Since 2005, they had 8 NCAAT bids and if not for cancellation in 2020 it would be 9.

If the A10 looks to expand not many other great options, I also liked Murray State.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago I never quite understood the fascination with Belmont. They have a nice but modest arena and draw on average 2500 fans per game. The A-10 already has a few members with that level fan base.

Since 2005, they had 8 NCAAT bids and if not for cancellation in 2020 it would be 9.

If the A10 looks to expand not many other great options, I also liked Murray State.
Belmont has 9000 students included 1500 grad
Loyola Chicago has 17000 students including 5000 grad - twice the size of Belmont

Belmont joined the MVC this year
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago The A10 has been gradually heading south, and the Nashville market makes a lot of sense. The A10 needs to grow to prepare for the inevitable poachers from BE or wherever. 2500 isn't great but it can grow. FWIW we're trending down right now ourselves; with an aging season ticket holder base and casual fans currently disengaged.
Yep. Don’t let the announcer ticket numbers fool ya.
The true level of interest, enthusiasm, dedication and health of the program is bodies in seats.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Loyola Chicago has 17000 students including 5000 grad - twice the size of Belmont

I understand that Ramster, but were discussing possible additions then.
Yes, I was always on-board with Loyola.
Still at some point in the future not a terrible option.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Everyone has different criteria on what makes a good school for the A-10. I tend to favor today's reality rather than the promise of possible growth which means stressing the current quality of their basketball facility and the size of their fan base. Belmont's attendance average over 6-7 years is meh! As for the A-10 heading south, I think a better move is west. But then again I was not in favor of adding Davidson. You could make a better case for Siena which over the last six years has attendance that is better than URI.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Everyone has different criteria on what makes a good school for the A-10. I tend to favor today's reality rather than the promise of possible growth which means stressing the current quality of their basketball facility and the size of their fan base. Belmont's attendance average over 6-7 years is meh! As for the A-10 heading south, I think a better move is west. But then again I was not in favor of adding Davidson. You could make a better case for Siena which over the last six years has attendance that is better than URI.
I’m not crazy about Belmont either. Davidson has a good Athletic program but also a small school.
Loyola is ok but certainly not looking like the almost automatic incremental At-Large MBB selection. Here we are looking like a single bid 15 team conference Omphhhh!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I didn’t read it that way. I read it possibly Belmont should have been the selection over Loyola.
Neither would knock it out of the park for me at this point.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I didn’t read it that way. I read it possibly Belmont should have been the selection over Loyola.
Neither would knock it out of the park for me at this point.
Not from me, I think the other poster mentioned they preferred Belmont.
I am glad we got Loyola, but also said I wouldn't mind Belmont or even Murray State.
Siena which was also brought up is okay too, Carmen M. is a very good coach.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Belmont is the more consistent program, Loyola was the flashier choice / better name brand.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I said it wasn't going to work out well.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

At this point in time, any school we'd look to add to the A-10 would have some kind of warts. There has been so much conference shifting the past 20 years, and especially the past 5 to 10, that most of the "obvious" moves have been done. I was in favor of Loyola, but my expectations for them and any other school joining the A-10 would be low. If we need to add schools for scheduling purposes or to replace a school that left, fine, but I don't think there's some magic bullet that turns the whole conference into the second coming of the ACC or SEC.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago At this point in time, any school we'd look to add to the A-10 would have some kind of warts. There has been so much conference shifting the past 20 years, and especially the past 5 to 10, that most of the "obvious" moves have been done. I was in favor of Loyola, but my expectations for them and any other school joining the A-10 would be low. If we need to add schools for scheduling purposes or to replace a school that left, fine, but I don't think there's some magic bullet that turns the whole conference into the second coming of the ACC or SEC.
No, but most people would have to admit Loyola has been a disappointment and nobody a year ago thought we would be a 1-bid conference WITH Loyola added. Other things are at work like NIL and no sit out Transfer not helping.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago At this point in time, any school we'd look to add to the A-10 would have some kind of warts. There has been so much conference shifting the past 20 years, and especially the past 5 to 10, that most of the "obvious" moves have been done. I was in favor of Loyola, but my expectations for them and any other school joining the A-10 would be low. If we need to add schools for scheduling purposes or to replace a school that left, fine, but I don't think there's some magic bullet that turns the whole conference into the second coming of the ACC or SEC.
No, but most people would have to admit Loyola has been a disappointment and nobody a year ago thought we would be a 1-bid conference WITH Loyola added. Other things are at work like NIL and no sit out Transfer not helping.
I didn't think we would be a 1 bid league this season, quite the opposite more than 2.
But I also felt Loyola wasn't going to be in the mix or a top 5 team.
This was going to be a transition season for them.
Aside from Dayton, SLU, and VCU, I also thought GM, Davidson, and Richmond would be ahead of them.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Today's conference games along with average NET rankings and lowest ticket price on vividseats.com

(275) Rhode Island at (132) Duquesne (203.5 average NET of the two teams) at 1 $26
(227) George Washington at (223) Loyola Chicago (225) at 4 (3 pm Chicago time) $6

I have to be honest, I know I got hammered for saying this before, but there's still nothing yet that makes me think adding Loyola Chicago was a no doubt, slam dunk move. Before Porter Moser brought them to the tournament and made the run in 2018 they hadn't been to a tournament since 1985, but he had already left by the time we added them. There's no proof Drew Valentine can win with his own players, he's done everything so far with Porter Moser's players who are now graduating out of the program. They're another second fiddle college program in a pro sports city, $6 for a mid-afternoon weekend conference game shows there's no real fan interest in their program even after their brief run of success.

Way too many people just viewed a brief Cinderella run that didn't appear to be sustainable as proof of what the program was and refused to look at the 30+ years before that. There's significant risk that the conference just added Fordham Midwest
02, I was always in favor of the addition of Loyola/Chicago.
Also would have been good with Belmont or Murray State.

Drew Valentine did a great job his 1st season as HC.
He was also the youngest HC at age 30 in NCAA Div.1.
Winning 25 games and the MVCT Championship with an auto-bid to the NCAAT.
Remember also Cameron Krutwig (6'9"/255) was no longer there, probably one of their greatest all-time players.
He was the only double-digit scorer from the previous season 20-21, 3rd team All-American and MVC-POY.

The A10 wanted to try and solidify its presence in the Midwest not abandoning SLU and Dayton.
Loyola/Chicago seemed to be a logical choice.

I felt LUC was rated too high this season and they would have their struggles.
They needed to add lots of new pieces so it will take time.
The solidifying our presence in the Midwest for St. Louis and Dayton was and is a dumb idea and should not be criteria for adding teams. St. Louis and Dayton are in the A10 because we're the best conference for their athletic departments as things currently stand. The only conference that would be better for them is the Big East, and they're not invited at this time. If and when the Big East wants to add those two schools, they're going to leave in a second and no amount of teams the conference adds in the Midwest changes that
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Remember also Cameron Krutwig (6'9"/255) was no longer there, probably one of their greatest all-time players.
He was the only double-digit scorer from the previous season 20-21, 3rd team All-American and MVC-POY.

The A10 wanted to try and solidify its presence in the Midwest not abandoning SLU and Dayton.

RR02,
You were right. Loyola was right since their stock was at a high level
Loyola MBB NET 248 for 12th followed by St Joe, URI and LaSalle
Loyola WBB NET 212 for 12th followed by VCU, Dayton and St Bonaventure

So would you have added Loyola if you were A10 Commissioner back when they were invited? What about now knowing the current records?

Jersey77,
You were very high on the Loyola Invite, I was good with the Invite. I recall some saying this would give the A10 an incremental NCAA Invite at the time

Knowing the situation today, would you have still added them?
I would not have added them. Too much downside risk for a program mostly out of our conference footprint. Also, looking at the Big East shows the blueprint for how a college basketball conference should be run. Smaller is better, and adding schools just to add schools is outdated thinking. The A10 needs to lose some bottom feeders and become a smaller, stronger conference, not add schools that could end up in that bottom feeder pool
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

RR02,
You were right. Loyola was right since their stock was at a high level
Loyola MBB NET 248 for 12th followed by St Joe, URI and LaSalle
Loyola WBB NET 212 for 12th followed by VCU, Dayton and St Bonaventure

So would you have added Loyola if you were A10 Commissioner back when they were invited? What about now knowing the current records?

Jersey77,
You were very high on the Loyola Invite, I was good with the Invite. I recall some saying this would give the A10 an incremental NCAA Invite at the time

Knowing the situation today, would you have still added them?
I would not have added them. Too much downside risk for a program mostly out of our conference footprint. Also, looking at the Big East shows the blueprint for how a college basketball conference should be run. Smaller is better, and adding schools just to add schools is outdated thinking. The A10 needs to lose some bottom feeders and become a smaller, stronger conference, not add schools that could end up in that bottom feeder pool
The conference is not going to downsize, so might as well take that off the table.

The BE always had the name brand and was a cash cow so they can get away with having fewer teams.
That isn't the case with the A10 especially if our top tier teams get poached.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago

While I don't disagree with some of your overall assessment here, I do not believe you judge Loyola's worthiness in the A-10 on one season. Also, recall that Loyola is the only D1 school in Illinois to have won a D1 national championship. And who is Loyola second fiddle to in Chicagoland? Northwestern, a school that has never made to the NCAA. DePaul? Now there is an example of ineptitude. De Paul who joined the Big East in 2005 and in the 17 seasons since then, has experienced two winning seasons and only one in conference play. Their attendance has plummeted from the 10,000 level to 5,000. Their only advantage over Loyola is they play in a bigger arena and their fan base is somewhat larger. So how did joining the BE help DePaul?
I'm not judging their worthiness on half a season, I'm judging their worthiness on the quality of their basketball program over the last 50 years. Since 1968, here are the times they've made the tournament: 1985, 2018, 2021, 2022. This is not a program that dominated their previous conference over multiple coaches and years and clearly was ready to move up. This is a program that caught lightning in a bottle with a coach that's no longer with them. There is literally nothing in their profile over the last 50 years to show that they can be a program that can be a consistently solid member of our conference. On the contrary, their profile is similar to a Duquesne, La Salle, or Fordham, all programs that bring little to nothing to the table. We don't need more of those schools, we need less of them.

You can also scoff at Northwestern and De Paul, but both regularly draw more than Loyola's arena holds. Is that mostly a function of the opponents the three schools bring in? Yeah, I'd assume so. But that also is the kind of thing that makes Loyola Chicago second fiddle to those other schools in a pro sports city
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago The A10 has been gradually heading south, and the Nashville market makes a lot of sense. The A10 needs to grow to prepare for the inevitable poachers from BE or wherever. 2500 isn't great but it can grow. FWIW we're trending down right now ourselves; with an aging season ticket holder base and casual fans currently disengaged.
We really don't need to do that though. That is how we regularly add schools that don't expand our revenue or increase our competitiveness. Hoping and praying that if we add a weaker school they'll just automatically become better by being in the A10 is not a sound strategy. And saying we need to add markets when this latest conference shakeup showed markets don't matter, it's brands that do, would be chasing an outdated model. What is Belmont's brand? What percentage of our fans do you think would know the location of the school, their head coach, and their mascot without looking it up? Belmont doesn't move the needle in Nashville, drawing 2500 fans a game, they certainly don't move the needle for the A10 to be adding them
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

👍🏼
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Everyone has different criteria on what makes a good school for the A-10. I tend to favor today's reality rather than the promise of possible growth which means stressing the current quality of their basketball facility and the size of their fan base. Belmont's attendance average over 6-7 years is meh! As for the A-10 heading south, I think a better move is west. But then again I was not in favor of adding Davidson. You could make a better case for Siena which over the last six years has attendance that is better than URI.
I’m not crazy about Belmont either. Davidson has a good Athletic program but also a small school.
Loyola is ok but certainly not looking like the almost automatic incremental At-Large MBB selection. Here we are looking like a single bid 15 team conference Omphhhh!
People can bitch about NIL, the transfer portal, and any other boogeyman they want, but this right here is the crux of the conference's issues. We have too many schools splitting a smaller and smaller pie of revenue. It's not a sustainable conference model and until we break the habit of adding schools that don't increase the pie it's only going to get worse
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
People can bitch about NIL, the transfer portal, and any other boogeyman they want, but this right here is the crux of the conference's issues. We have too many schools splitting a smaller and smaller pie of revenue. It's not a sustainable conference model and until we break the habit of adding schools that don't increase the pie it's only going to get worse
Bernadette had talked about possibly adding a 16th school.
I don't think she agrees with you.
Gonzaga isn't coming here.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

The long term outlook for the A10 is not bright. I don't think contraction is the answer. I'd be surprised if URI is in the A10 in 10 years.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago The long term outlook for the A10 is not bright. I don't think contraction is the answer. I'd be surprised if URI is in the A10 in 10 years.
Do you see URI moving to a higher or lower conference? Why?
NCAAs or Bust!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago The long term outlook for the A10 is not bright. I don't think contraction is the answer. I'd be surprised if URI is in the A10 in 10 years.
I agree with this view mainly because if the A-10 is poached, the best teams will leave, watering down the combined level of the remaining teams. Conference re-alignment is a long-term development, but just because things are not happening now does not mean that significant things won't happen in the future. The USC & UCLA move to Big 10 has yet to play out. The only protection and course of action for URI is to enhance its brand on both the capital investment side and the budgetary side. That means improve all facilities and then expand the athletics staff and key budget items like salaries, travel, etc. Sadly this is occurring at URI at a snail pace and with a lower visionary level debunking the Think Big.. We Do slogan.

There are not many alternative conferences for URI to land in, but if you are a big thinker who takes the initiative you would visualize a brand new conference cobbled together from pieces of several others. Are you listening Thorr Bjorn?
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Obadiah stated what I am thinking, but not sure how it will all play out. The A10 is in a really bad position. The first tier is the big 6, including any future additions/modifications. That process has only begun; USC and UCLA were the first dominos of many that will fall. When everything shakes out the A10 may not be attractive and URI will look for a conference that accommodates all their sports with less travel for the smaller programs
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I agree with this view mainly because if the A-10 is poached, the best teams will leave, watering down the combined level of the remaining teams. Conference re-alignment is a long-term development, but just because things are not happening now does not mean that significant things won't happen in the future. The USC & UCLA move to Big 10 has yet to play out. The only protection and course of action for URI is to enhance its brand on both the capital investment side and the budgetary side. That means improve all facilities and then expand the athletics staff and key budget items like salaries, travel, etc. Sadly this is occurring at URI at a snail pace and with a lower visionary level debunking the Think Big.. We Do slogan.

There are not many alternative conferences for URI to land in, but if you are a big thinker who takes the initiative you would visualize a brand new conference cobbled together from pieces of several others. Are you listening Thorr Bjorn?
Obadiah, I just don't see that happening and probably neither does Thorr.
Our best hope is that our top tier teams don't get poached.
The A10 is our best option for the foreseeable future.

The AAC is losing 3 teams to the B12 but gaining 6 from C-USA.
C-USA after losing 6 will add 4 new schools for a total of 9.

The better programs will be picked over, not sure what schools you would be looking at for building a new conference.
Especially one that gives us more advantages than staying in the A10.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago Obadiah stated what I am thinking, but not sure how it will all play out. The A10 is in a really bad position. The first tier is the big 6, including any future additions/modifications. That process has only begun; USC and UCLA were the first dominos of many that will fall. When everything shakes out the A10 may not be attractive and URI will look for a conference that accommodates all their sports with less travel for the smaller programs
USC and UCLA were not even close to being the first dominos to fall.

Conference realignment has been going on for a while.
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The better programs will be picked over, not sure what schools you would be looking at for building a new conference.
I believe the A-10 will be eventually poached, so hoping it doesn't, is not strategy. I agree that the A-10 is the best option for awhile even a diminished A-10 depending on how many schools leave.

I don't understand your mentioning the C-USA and the AAC because they have FBS football and none of those schools are prospects for a new conference. You are right in that URI does not have many great options left, but any new conference formation would have to come from conferences that may have football, but not FBS football. The only viable leagues in that category are the MVC, CAA, MAAC, OVC, Horizon. I would focus only on schools with facilities - arenas and practice facilities - equal or better than URI.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I believe the A-10 will be eventually poached, so hoping it doesn't, is not strategy. I agree that the A-10 is the best option for awhile even a diminished A-10 depending on how many schools leave.

I don't understand your mentioning the C-USA and the AAC because they have FBS football and none of those schools are prospects for a new conference. You are right in that URI does not have many great options left, but any new conference formation would have to come from conferences that may have football, but not FBS football. The only viable leagues in that category are the MVC, CAA, MAAC, OVC, Horizon. I would focus only on schools with facilities - arenas and practice facilities - equal or better than URI.
The only reason I mentioned those 2 conferences were because I believe they were brought up in a previous post.
That the A10 was no longer in the top tier mid-major along with the MWC, WCC, and AAC.
Also it was said that C-USA was gaining steam, which is probably the opposite.

Still I don't see any better options for us, and not thinking there will be.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago Obadiah stated what I am thinking, but not sure how it will all play out. The A10 is in a really bad position. The first tier is the big 6, including any future additions/modifications. That process has only begun; USC and UCLA were the first dominos of many that will fall. When everything shakes out the A10 may not be attractive and URI will look for a conference that accommodates all their sports with less travel for the smaller programs

I took it as, in this round of re-alignment.

Anyway, I would add in TX and OU, as well.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

I took it as, in this round of re-alignment.

Anyway, I would add in TX and OU, as well.
Yea, Texas and Oklahoma started this new wave.
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Here are some options facing URI as re-alignment unfolds:

I. URI remains in a diminished A-10. On the plus side, this scenario actually improves URI chances of reaching the NCAA’s.

2. Becoming a member of new conference. Will take some doing and big changes.

3. Very big long shot – joining the Big East.

Also remember in all this movement the power of the media outlets. They are increasingly putting pressure on conferences to take action.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Here are some options facing URI as re-alignment unfolds:

I. URI remains in a diminished A-10. On the plus side, this scenario actually improves URI chances of reaching the NCAA’s.

Also remember in all this movement the power of the media outlets. They are increasingly putting pressure on conferences to take action.
Obadiah you probably already know my thinking.

#3 not happening and # 2 probably not (an extreme longshot).

#1 is most likely it, just hoping the conference doesn't get too diminished.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Here are some options facing URI as re-alignment unfolds:

Jim Baron has a better chance to become AD than we do of joining the Big East.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah,
Is becoming a member of a new conference one that already exists? Or is it a new conference from scratch?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A new conference from scratch. Thorr can become the new Dave Gavitt. :D :D
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I don't disagree that is why I ranked them in that order.

As for #3, let me provide my thinking as the conditions that would make that possible. Keep in mind in re-alignment the media giants are playing a prominent role because they control the money and make no mistake realignment is all about money. It is also a transition to a P2/P5 scenario. The Big East prides itself on its basketball stature vis a vis the basketball programs of the FBS schools. The transition of the P5 into the P2 will present the BE with a powerful group of better financed athletics/basketball programs.The new deal with Big Ten gives each member $80 million annually, for example. The BE has been able to compete with P5, but will the BE be able to compete with a P2 now at 28 moving to 32 and rumored to go to 40.

In this scenario, a key influence will be Fox Sports pressure on the Big East to expand to give the league any semblance of competitiveness with the basketball side of the P2. BE expansion candidates will primarily come from the A-10. I do not see lots of significant viable candidates elsewhere. Maybe Wichita State? Some have mentioned Gonzaga, but the geography will strain their Olympic sports and unlike USC/UCLA, Gonzaga lacks the big football payoffs to those schools that mitigates the increased travel costs of their Olympic sports teams.

The key question then is how many members will the Big East add. If the BE adds one or two schools, URI is out. If the BE adds four schools, URI is out. If the BE adds 5 or more schools, URI has a shot. Fox will not dictate the specific schools to add, but more likely influence the number of adds which will counter the PC bias against URI. The market issue will no longer block URI since it would be consistent with the addition of Dayton and VCU/Richmond.

I know it's along shot. Just some thoughts.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago A new conference. Thorr can become the new Dave Gavitt. :D :D
That’s what I thought.
I agree with your options.
Thorr and our new President must have back up or contingency plans based on many possible scenarios. It’s part of their job - not just react to what happens when it happens.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

As for #3, let me provide my thinking as the conditions that would make that possible. Keep in mind in re-alignment the media giants are playing a prominent role because they control the money and make no mistake realignment is all about money. It is also a transition to a P2/P5 scenario. The Big East prides itself on its basketball stature vis a vis the basketball programs of the FBS schools. The transition of the P5 into the P2 will present the BE with a powerful group of better financed athletics/basketball programs.The new deal with Big Ten gives each member $80 million annually, for example. The BE has been able to compete with P5, but will the BE be able to compete with a P2 now at 28 moving to 32 and rumored to go to 40.

In this scenario, a key influence will be Fox Sports pressure on the Big East to expand to give the league any semblance of competitiveness with the basketball side of the P2. BE expansion candidates will primarily come from the A-10. I do not see lots of significant viable candidates elsewhere. Maybe Wichita State? Some have mentioned Gonzaga, but the geography will strain their Olympic sports and unlike USC/UCLA, Gonzaga lacks the big football payoffs to those schools that mitigates the increased travel costs of their Olympic sports teams.

The key question then is how many members will the Big East add. If the BE adds one or two schools, URI is out. If the BE adds four schools, URI is out. If the BE adds 5 or more schools, URI has a shot. Fox will not dictate the specific schools to add, but more likely influence the number of adds which will counter the PC bias against URI. The market issue will no longer block URI since it would be consistent with the addition of Dayton and VCU/Richmond.

I don't think the BE at this time is looking to add on many schools or any for that matter.
At least schools not named Gonzaga.
They can be very selective on who they choose to share their revenue/wealth with.
With all their media $ and multi post-season bids, they aren't in any major need of expansion.
They don't have to keep up with the football schools.

Watch, my post won't age well, and they poach the A10.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The issue with this hypothesis is with the exception of Dayton (and that's even questionable) no A10 school moves the needle for the Big East.
The 2 factors driving realignment are football and media value. So the only A10 schools even remotely attractive to anyone are either those that play FBS football (Umass I believe is it) OR those that drive the media value of the league up. You could put Dayton in the latter category but even that is a stretch. If the BE tries to add teams they are going to shoot higher IMO.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I don't get your mentioning UMass and their football because that is irrelevant to the non FBS football Big East. And who are the non FBS schools that the Big East adds that meets your shooting higher criterion?
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I'm not passing judgement on my crystal ball. But in looking at geography and athletic department similarities, this wouldn't be far-fetched to keep in mind. Some schools would have to "up" their basketball budget, facilities, etc. to be competitive.

The "New" Colonial Athletic Association (basketball/football schools)
NORTH: UNH, Maine, URI, Albany, Stony Brook, UMASS (comes back down from 1A), Monmouth, Villanova (football only)
SOUTH: Richmond, Delaware, Elon, William & Mary, Hampton, Towson, Davidson

The "New" A10:
LaSalle, St. Bona, GW, GMU, St. Joe's, Fordham, Loyola, Duquesne, Drexel, Hofstra

Off to the Big East:
Dayton
St. Louis
VCU

URI has no leverage in any future realignment. Don't want to be left out when the music stops.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago I'm not passing judgement on my crystal ball. But in looking at geography and athletic department similarities, this wouldn't be far-fetched to keep in mind. Some schools would have to "up" their basketball budget, facilities, etc. to be competitive.

The "New" Colonial Athletic Association (basketball/football schools)
NORTH: UNH, Maine, URI, Albany, Stony Brook, UMASS (comes back down from 1A), Monmouth, Villanova (football only)
SOUTH: Richmond, Delaware, Elon, William & Mary, Hampton, Towson, Davidson

The "New" A10:
LaSalle, St. Bona, GW, GMU, St. Joe's, Fordham, Loyola, Duquesne, Drexel, Hofstra

Off to the Big East:
Dayton
St. Louis
VCU

URI has no leverage in any future realignment. Don't want to be left out when the music stops.
Not out of the realm of possibility but, I don’t see the value to the NBE in adding SLU and VCU. I could envision Dayton, IF Xavier signed off on it but I am not sure they would.

That said, I would remain in the A10 with SLU and VCU.

The CAA would be a major step down for me for bb. If that happened, I’d check out and spend my time watching tapes of our past, great Rhody teams for my remaining years.