12/31 | Duquesne | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: 12/31 | Duquesne | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Sure would love me some ant now to give us 10+ and control the ball more

Would do wonders
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

5-22 between Ish and Bray. We’ll lose 100% of the games that happens
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

We stink. There needs to be multiple personnel changes next year. Thomas needs to stop shooting. Happy New year..
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Brutal
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Still only nine turnovers. Our shooting fell apart in the last 10 minutes.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Ugly….just plain ugly!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago Sure would love me some ant now to give us 10+ and control the ball more

Would do wonders
Dude how can you even say that? The kid hasn’t played basketball in a year, hasn’t produced when he’s played, and he’s going to come in and immediately average 10+ points?

He going to get more minutes than Freeman, Leggett, or Carey? No, he’s not.

Stop living in fantasy land.

Even the most optimistic people here know Harris wouldn’t come in and start averaging double digits.
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is an historically bad Rhody team. Expecting more than a few more wins the rest of this season is unrealistic. We are looking at a single digit win total with more than twenty losses. I have faith that Archie will eventually turn things around but it will probably take a several additional seasons to do so. With how bad things have gotten, it is probably unreasonable to expect a big turn around next year. The current odds favor 2023-24 be another losing campaign (would be 4th straight).
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodeIslandRams wrote: 1 year ago One of these announcers loves the Dukes so much he's hurting his throat screaming with glee with every Dukes basket. Didn't even mention a nice Jan by Rhody.

Disgusting. I didn't know I was watching a Dukes feed.
Every game on ESPN+ is the home teams broadcasters, hence why people complain about our production when our home games are on.
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

1 of 9 from 3 in second half.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Luckily I'm at the Lady Rams game. They know how to beat Duquesne.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Duquesne came out and shut down our scorers Ish and Bray. Out played us and shut us down the last 4 mins of the game.
It is going to be a long year
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Where’s Hutch?
until Hutch learns how to play some defense, he will sit
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
Plays better defense than Rory.
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I think our use of student broadcasters has something to do with the Harrington School of Communication and Media which we are trying to put on the map. it appears that one way to do that is to offer students the opportunity to broadcast the games. Yes, it is inferior product, but I think it will pay dividends in the long run.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

We just don’t have the horses to keep up this season. Some good stretches but the bad stretches are game killers.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Duquesne came out and shut down our scorers Ish and Bray. Out played us and shut us down the last 4 mins of the game.
It is going to be a long year
We have a lot of difficulty closing out games. I think we will improve with time and experience.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago We just don’t have the horses to keep up this season. Some good stretches but the bad stretches are game killers.
So when are said horses due to arrive in Kingston?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I truly don't understand why Weston barely sees the floor. There is no reason why Malik should be playing 25+ minutes, and Weston can't even crack 15 minutes.
. How many did he have today? Seemed like more than 15. Weston knows how to play tough. This kid will be good.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Stone and Silk are saying on Varsity that Duquesne is a better team then the last place team they were picked in the A10.
I think they have a chip on their should!!!!!!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

We have a very young team and we won’t get much older next year when we lose Martin and Carey replacing them with two freshmen.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago We just don’t have the horses to keep up this season. Some good stretches but the bad stretches are game killers.
So when are said horses due to arrive in Kingston?
We will know they are here when we are good. Beyond that, I got nothin’.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

….on to Fordham…..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Some sage opined here that all current players will be gone before URI sees an NCAAT floor again. Will Archie still be here? Lucky for URI that Matt McMahon is solid at LSU.
NCAAs or Bust!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Depending on the portal, we won’t be an “old” team for at least two years, maybe three. But with age comes victories.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I’m not sure what game all of the “we stink” , “we’re terrible “., we won’t win ten games group was watching today. We looked like a team today, much, much improved on offense.

Sure, had our typical cold spell, and defense has many opportunities but if you make a few more free throws and take away some really, really bad calls by the officiating, the,outcome could have easily been different.

Then, I guess everybody would be saying we would win the tournament!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago We have a very young team and we won’t get much older next year when we lose Martin and Carey replacing them with two freshmen.
Martin will be replaced by Weston. (Probably this year )
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago This is an historically bad Rhody team. Expecting more than a few more wins the rest of this season is unrealistic. We are looking at a single digit win total with more than twenty losses. I have faith that Archie will eventually turn things around but it will probably take a several additional seasons to do so. With how bad things have gotten, it is probably unreasonable to expect a big turn around next year. The current odds favor 2023-24 be another losing campaign (would be 4th straight).
No doubt that this team is worse than last years team. I’m sure what we can even hang out hats in terms of improvement for players to get better excited about next year. We are so bad that PC fans don’t even make of URI to me any longer because it isn’t worth their time. I like Archie and he hasn’t had the time to get all his players, but I am not impressed with the new players that came to URI. They will be looking at 2000 real people in the stands a game for the home games in January. Tough to get excited about we might be good in three years.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago I’m not sure what game all of the “we stink” , “we’re terrible “., we won’t win ten games group was watching today. We looked like a team today, much, much improved on offense.

Sure, had our typical cold spell, and defense has many opportunities but if you make a few more free throws and take away some really, really bad calls by the officiating, the,outcome could have easily been different.

Then, I guess everybody would be saying we would win the tournament!
The refs had nothing to do with today’s loss. At all.

We do stink, and anyone who thinks otherwise just has their blinders on.

Now we MAY get better as the season progresses, but as of right now, we stink.
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago Sure would love me some ant now to give us 10+ and control the ball more

Would do wonders
Dude how can you even say that? The kid hasn’t played basketball in a year, hasn’t produced when he’s played, and he’s going to come in and immediately average 10+ points?

He going to get more minutes than Freeman, Leggett, or Carey? No, he’s not.

Stop living in fantasy land.

Even the most optimistic people here know Harris wouldn’t come in and start averaging double digits.

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not sure, but after 13 games, I don't see anyone on this team playing in the NCAAT.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago I’m not sure what game all of the “we stink” , “we’re terrible “., we won’t win ten games group was watching today. We looked like a team today, much, much improved on offense.
We shot 35 percent from the floor, 30 percent from 3. We got to the line 19 times, which is kind of OK. We have like three players who can create their own shot, and unless two of them are going off, we're pretty much "out" of any game as it goes along, because everyone else can't be trusted to hit a wide open jumper. I think there are some individual performances from game to game that offer some hope going forward, but man, I don't know how you can be optimistic about the offense after *that* performance.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I truly don't understand why Weston barely sees the floor. There is no reason why Malik should be playing 25+ minutes, and Weston can't even crack 15 minutes.
. How many did he have today? Seemed like more than 15. Weston knows how to play tough. This kid will be good.
He played 14 minutes after Archie put him in at the end of the game. The least amount of minutes for players that were in the rotation. He ended up having one more shot where I thought he had a nice move, and it could have been a foul, and he picked up a nice block to prevent a dunk from happening. He was battling in the post as well. I love Malik's hustle, but we all know who he is. If Weston played the number of minutes that Malik gets, I think he would score more than Malik and probably be a little less effective on the boards/defending. The difference is Malik is a 5th-year senior, and Weston is a freshman.

If we continue to lose these games, which seems incredibly likely, I'd rather see guys like Weston and Hutch play more. Next season with Bilau and Foumena back, I would be surprised if Rory sticks around. Unless Archie thinks he could end up being a piece, he doesn't look like an A10 player to me..I think Samb, Bilau, Foumena, and Tchikou have more potential...

We play some beautiful basketball in certain stretches. I'm going to try and focus on that.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

8.5 underdog.
Not surprised, but think we cover.
The backcourt match-up should be interesting but they have a frontcourt advantage.

Some comparisons:
URI- 40% FG, 30% 3pt, scoring avg- 66 pts, negative assist/turnover ratio (153-182, 12 games)
Dukes- 45% FG,36% 3pt, scoring avg- 75 pts, positive assist/turnover ratio (211-167, 14 games)

Also, but probably doesn't mean much, we haven't won at Duquesne since 2016-2017.
Perhaps the most glaring gap is in 3P Shooting:

Duquesne is 3rd in the A10 at 36.1%
URI is dead last in the A10 at 29.6%
Good early call Ramster.
We shot 30% 3pt today, on the other hand Duquesne shot 45% 3pt.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I think our use of student broadcasters has something to do with the Harrington School of Communication and Media which we are trying to put on the map. it appears that one way to do that is to offer students the opportunity to broadcast the games. Yes, it is inferior product, but I think it will pay dividends in the long run.
How? So other students can see where not to go?

I wouldn't want to advertise the worst color commentators and sideline reporters in the history of college basketball if I wanted to put us on the map.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

This just in, Rest of season, 4 games tickets, four hot dogs, four fountain sodas…….all for $10……opps, I forgot the four popcorns
Last edited by section(105) 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago We have a very young team and we won’t get much older next year when we lose Martin and Carey replacing them with two freshmen.
Martin will be replaced by Weston. (Probably this year )

For what it’s worth, I was referring to the collective experience of the team in years of playing college basketball. I recall that as Hurley’s teams aged they continued to get better.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I think our use of student broadcasters has something to do with the Harrington School of Communication and Media which we are trying to put on the map. it appears that one way to do that is to offer students the opportunity to broadcast the games. Yes, it is inferior product, but I think it will pay dividends in the long run.

I wouldn't want to advertise the worst color commentators and sideline reporters in the history of college basketball if I wanted to put us on the map.
I think you’re missing my point. The others are professionals. These are students. Makes a huge difference as noted but if I’m a student wanting to go into communications, where else can you go to gain that type of experience? Looks like we are one of the few schools offering he opportunity. BTW when I want better coverage I simply listen to the radio feed.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Why do so many of you just assume it will be years before we are good again?

You guys realize Duquesne was 6-24 last year right?

They are now 11-4 and look totally different.

We still really have no idea how we will look by the end of this year, or next year and especially in three years.

Duquesne isn't some outlier either. It's extremely common for teams to have quick turnarounds these days. Happens all the time.

Don't assume our roster is already set for next year either. Guys transfer out all the time and you can always find someone in the portal.

We are still just an exceptionally young team whose been banged up, sick and everything in between in their first year.

I'm frustrated too and it's not like I don't have doubts, but sitting there thinking we are doomed for years to come is stupid.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago

I think you’re missing my point. The others are professionals. These are students. Makes a huge difference as noted but if I’m a student wanting to go into communications, where else can you go to gain that type of experience? Looks like we are one of the few schools offering he opportunity.
Yeah I guess I would be like "hey I can go to URI and beat out those chumps and broadcast D1 basketball games!"
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago

I think you’re missing my point. The others are professionals. These are students. Makes a huge difference as noted but if I’m a student wanting to go into communications, where else can you go to gain that type of experience? Looks like we are one of the few schools offering he opportunity.
Yeah I guess I would be like "hey I can go to URI and beat out those chumps and broadcast D1 basketball games!"
Stone Freeman is a product of the Harrington School
https://harrington.uri.edu/news/student ... 20at%20URI.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Why do so many of you just assume it will be years before we are good again?

We still really have no idea how we will look by the end of this year, or next year and especially in three years.

Duquesne isn't some outlier either. It's extremely common for teams to have quick turnarounds these days. Happens all the time.

Don't assume our roster is already set for next year either. Guys transfer out all the time and you can always find someone in the portal.

We are still just an exceptionally young team whose been banged up, sick and everything in between in their first year.

I'm frustrated too and it's not like I don't have doubts, but sitting there thinking we are doomed for years to come is stupid.
I'll hold my thoughts until the early signing next October. We land some high power recruits, top 100, and things will change quick. We land 2* players, well, let's hope we don't.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Plays better defense than Rory.

and me
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We had a couple of stretches of solid play followed by some ineptitude

I can see us maybe 6-12 in conference which would be 10-20 overall ??
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Why do so many of you just assume it will be years before we are good again?

I'll hold my thoughts until the early signing next October. We land some high power recruits, top 100, and things will change quick. We land 2* players, well, let's hope we don't.

If you keep repeating yourself, so will I.

We have multiple Top 100 kids on this team.

Only one of them is contributing.

Stop caring about rankings.
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
He played 14 minutes after Archie put him in at the end of the game. The least amount of minutes for players that were in the rotation. He ended up having one more shot where I thought he had a nice move, and it could have been a foul, and he picked up a nice block to prevent a dunk from happening. He was battling in the post as well. I love Malik's hustle, but we all know who he is. If Weston played the number of minutes that Malik gets, I think he would score more than Malik and probably be a little less effective on the boards/defending. The difference is Malik is a 5th-year senior, and Weston is a freshman.

If we continue to lose these games, which seems incredibly likely, I'd rather see guys like Weston and Hutch play more. Next season with Bilau and Foumena back, I would be surprised if Rory sticks around. Unless Archie thinks he could end up being a piece, he doesn't look like an A10 player to me..I think Samb, Bilau, Foumena, and Tchikou have more potential...

We play some beautiful basketball in certain stretches. I'm going to try and focus on that.

[/quote agree with u on Weston. Assuming Rory starts hitting his threes, it really helps,open things up,for Freeman. Obviously not an elite defender to say the least

When I focus on Hutch, I see horrible defense and his man always getting by him and his defensive fundamentals seems so poor. Maybe he can change but thinking he is in transfer portal next year.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If you keep repeating yourself, so will I.

We have multiple Top 100 kids on this team.

Only one of them is contributing.

Stop caring about rankings.
Sorry, will never stop caring about the rankings of freshman recruits. Never. It's what puts a team on the map. Top 100 kids. Freshmen.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I could care less about a star rating.. I just want some impactful players. Weston and Tchikou are both 4-star players. Chance Stephens was a 2-star. Chance looks like the best player out of the 3 so far. Jeff and Cyril were 3 stars. So was Fatts. Harris was 4 stars...Of course, there are some fantastic 4-star players, but we shouldn’t assume a player will suck or be a star because of a star rating.

Archie had a year off when he recruited this first class. I expect this next class to be more impactful. That doesn’t mean I’m giving up on all our current players. Im not. But I do agree we need some upgrades.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Mcram I could be wrong about Rory. I agree that having a shooting big would be a great asset for this team.

Regarding Lou, Archie said he was a raw player before the season started. I think he was planning on doing a prep year but we convinced him to come. He said he's one of the players that isn't ready now but could be special a few years down the road. Lou is a brilliant kid with a great work ethic. I think you'll see him here in the next few seasons.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago We had a couple of stretches of solid play followed by some ineptitude

I can see us maybe 6-12 in conference which would be 10-20 overall ??
I very much doubt this team is capable of six more wins. This teams looks like it will be fighting it out with St Joe's and LaSalle for last (15th) place in the A-10 with very few conference victories.