'19 Anthony Harris (UNC ---> URI ---> St. Thomas JC)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Anthony Harris (UNC —>> URI)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

...and that is why I think this is a "longest thread for someone that never played here" ring of honor candidate. Still has a ways to go, but there's definite potential. (I hope I'm wrong, that he comes here and he stars...but, seems like no one has ever "seen him in the same room with, um... anybody"...? :lol: )
On December 6, 2022 Coach Miller said at Media Availability Day:

Bill Koch
@BillKoch25
Miller on North Carolina transfer guard Anthony Harris -- 'At semester break, if all goes well, we anticipate Anthony joining the team.'

'Anthony is part of our plan.'

Miller said Harris is at home taking classes. #URI
2:56 PM · Dec 6, 2022

Sounds like he is joining the team according to the HC "if all goes well"

So if a poster says Harris is not joining the team then said poster must believe that all did not go well.

I'll trust the HC to provide an update soon. Good job recruiting a talent of Harris' caliber imho even if all doesn't work out.

13 pages coming soon...................
It sounds like we'll know one way or another, at least for the rest of the season, after today's media availability
What time is Archie meeting with the media?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Honestly, this is starting to enter Jordan Hare territory at this point. If the thought was there were no setbacks, why isn't he on campus at this point, if for no other reason to get acquainted with the team, even if due to NCAA rules he couldn't practice or play?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Bill Koch
@BillKoch25
Miller on North Carolina transfer guard Anthony Harris -- 'At semester break, if all goes well, we anticipate Anthony joining the team.'

So if a poster says Harris is not joining the team then said poster must believe that all did not go well.

I'll trust the HC to provide an update soon. Good job recruiting a talent of Harris' caliber imho even if all doesn't work out.

It sounds like we'll know one way or another, at least for the rest of the season, after today's media availability
Now
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Bill Koch
@BillKoch25

Already did look above. for bill koch tweets.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not the update I was hoping for.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Video sounds a little more optimistic than the Twitter quotes, but yeah, not really the update we were hoping for. Sounds more like we won't see him until next year, if we ever do at this point
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We don't need Ant this year. I don't see any reason Archie would keep saying he's in our future plans if he wasn't. I think he will play for us next year but we'll see.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago We don't need Ant this year. I don't see any reason Archie would keep saying he's in our future plans if he wasn't. I think he will play for us next year but we'll see.
We don't need him this year, but it would be nice if he was able to get some game action this year rather than coming in to next season having barely played in a couple years.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He'll play as soon as he's eligible. IF he becomes eligible.

Absolutely no sense trying to conserve eligibility at this point.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago We don't need Ant this year. I don't see any reason Archie would keep saying he's in our future plans if he wasn't. I think he will play for us next year but we'll see.
We don't need him this year, but it would be nice if he was able to get some game action this year rather than coming in to next season having barely played in a couple years.
Harris playing soon won't change the fact that this season is a train-wreck. It would just make it a wee bit smaller train-wreck.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
Harris playing soon won't change the fact that this season is a train-wreck. It would just make it a wee bit smaller train-wreck.
Agreed, but as I said, to me its more about next year. If he doesn't play this season at all, I can already see it for next season, we'll be hearing a lot of "well he hasn't played in two years, he needs time to shake off the rust, just wait until NEXT year" etc. etc. etc. Life as a Rhody fan, always just waiting for next year!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago He'll play as soon as he's eligible. IF he becomes eligible.

Agree with this.

re: Miller's statements today, I kind of wonder how much access the staff can have with Harris. Earlier in the thread, someone was shocked that more info hadn't leaked about him vs. past players... Except that nowadays especially, it's even easier for him to enroll in some community college - whether it's local to him, or online only - and for there to be no information out there. At least for where I work (UH), grades had to be posted by professors by Dec. 20, but they're not formalized until a few days later. (And also, at this time of year, there's pretty much no one working at universities from Dec. 20 through Jan. 1 or so.)
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

PLAY ANTMAN PLAY !

see ya'll for the a10 semis !

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago He'll play as soon as he's eligible. IF he becomes eligible.

He will play as soon as Archie feels he is ready.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

This seems like something thats not going to happen. School doesn't seem like this kids thing- Is he really going to hit the books to become eligible next year at the tender age of 23?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's not rocket science, the NCAA is taking their sweet time making a decision on his body of work from this past semester. Until they decide, URI has no news to report. This will come to some conclusion in the near future. We have played teams in the past in prior years where we just happened to face their star player, freshly approved by the NCAA in late January. No one sets a time line for them, they probably just keep requesting more information and more clarification and more documentation until they decide one way or the other.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Is he better than Weston?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago It's not rocket science, the NCAA is taking their sweet time making a decision on his body of work from this past semester. Until they decide, URI has no news to report. This will come to some conclusion in the near future. We have played teams in the past in prior years where we just happened to face their star player, freshly approved by the NCAA in late January. No one sets a time line for them, they probably just keep requesting more information and more clarification and more documentation until they decide one way or the other.
Excerpt From todays PROJO Bill Koch article for those who don’t get the Providence Journal. Miller and Harris are awaiting the green light from academic and compliance departments at URI.

URI (4-8, 0-0 A-10) will also be without what could have been immediate reinforcements on the perimeter. North Carolina transfer Anthony Harris has yet to arrive in Kingston and is awaiting the green light from both academic and compliance departments here. Harris was sidelined by the Tar Heels in the midst of the 2021-22 season and took classes at his Virginia home during the first semester.

“We don’t see any setbacks at this point for him joining our team,” Miller said. “Whether he joins our team for game action, that’s yet to be determined. I think the big thing is getting him here and the future as much as anything.

“Getting him in the fold — he’s been part of our plan the whole time. We’re hopeful here over Christmas break as things get buttoned down paperworkwise, transfer-wise — the whole deal — that we can get that solidified and have him join us. More importantly, he’s a big part of what we were doing.

“I think getting him here with our guys and getting him as part of our fold is a big part. He can develop. He can help our team develop through the course of the year one way or another.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago It's not rocket science, the NCAA is taking their sweet time making a decision on his body of work from this past semester. Until they decide, URI has no news to report. This will come to some conclusion in the near future. We have played teams in the past in prior years where we just happened to face their star player, freshly approved by the NCAA in late January. No one sets a time line for them, they probably just keep requesting more information and more clarification and more documentation until they decide one way or the other.
Excerpt From todays PROJO Bill Koch article for those who don’t get the Providence Journal. Miller and Harris are awaiting the green light from academic and compliance departments at URI.

URI (4-8, 0-0 A-10) will also be without what could have been immediate reinforcements on the perimeter. North Carolina transfer Anthony Harris has yet to arrive in Kingston and is awaiting the green light from both academic and compliance departments here. Harris was sidelined by the Tar Heels in the midst of the 2021-22 season and took classes at his Virginia home during the first semester.

“We don’t see any setbacks at this point for him joining our team,” Miller said. “Whether he joins our team for game action, that’s yet to be determined. I think the big thing is getting him here and the future as much as anything.

“Getting him in the fold — he’s been part of our plan the whole time. We’re hopeful here over Christmas break as things get buttoned down paperworkwise, transfer-wise — the whole deal — that we can get that solidified and have him join us. More importantly, he’s a big part of what we were doing.

“I think getting him here with our guys and getting him as part of our fold is a big part. He can develop. He can help our team develop through the course of the year one way or another.”
So...URI controls the situation, and we're days away from games he'd 'theoretically' be able to play in??
That + crickets from the school or player = I doubt he plays here. I.e., it's likely something "didn't work out", imo....and the waiting is to see whether the player or the school acknowledges it first?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

These quiet waiting game situations almost never break our way. Hoping I’m wrong this time.
Last edited by bigappleram 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

So other than actually being accepted/admitted to URI as a student, and being declared eligible by compliance/NCAA, we are good to go. It sure doesn't seem like he will be playing in a game this year, but you never know I guess.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Completely disagree - a player of his caliber added to this team could be the spark needed to make a run later in conference play and into the A10 tourney.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

"Whether he joins our team for game action, that’s yet to be determined"

Not knowing anything about the Harris situation outside of what I read here, to me this is most telling piece of info shared. I'd be very surprised if he see's the floor this year. Hope I'm wrong since even though this team is not a post season threat this year, getting him some PT and exposure to his teammates and Archie's system would bode well for next year.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

Completely disagree - a player of his caliber added to this team could be the spark needed to make a run later in conference play and into the A10 tourney.

welcome aboard !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I am not one for delaying players anymore with the constant transferring and NIL situations. Get every minute out of these guys while you got em'.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don’t know how you continually said Harris is a big loss for this season, but now saying we don’t need him.

Usually a player who is a big loss is someone who is needed.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
I don’t know how you continually said Harris is a big loss for this season, but now saying we don’t need him.

Idk how someone can be so negative about every incoming recruit and basically everything on here, but somehow you are.

My opinion of Ant hasn't changed. I would have loved to have him this year. I don't think we need him now because it's clear this is a bad team, and our main focus should be developing our young players. It's conference play, and we have a net ranking of 274.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

I think Ant would make a huge difference too. I think he could at least make us competitive with anyone in the league.

I think the possibility for a miraculous A-10 tournament run ended when they announced Bilau would be out for the year.

Don't see Samb, Tchikou and Rory making a big enough leap to do that.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Idk how someone can be so negative about every incoming recruit and basically everything on here, but somehow you are.

My opinion of Ant hasn't changed. I would have loved to have him this year. I don't think we need him now because it's clear this is a bad team, and our main focus should be developing our young players. It's conference play, and we have a net ranking of 274.
Your first sentence has less than zero to do with my post, but keep repeating yourself about how you feel towards my posts.

For some here, who look at things rationally and with some basketball knowledge instead of extreme bias (which is fine, to each is own), it was clear from the beginning of the season this team was not going to be that good.

And your opinion on Harris obviously changed

You said he was a big loss, now saying we don’t need him.

Those are not one and the same.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I don't get this. Ant can play this year and next.

Why not play Ant this year to get him ready for next year?

Whose development will he hurt? Weston? How?

Playing Ant will make our team better next year. Play Ant.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

I don't get this. Ant can play this year and next.

Why not play Ant this year to get him ready for next year?

Whose development will he hurt? Weston? How?

Playing Ant will make our team better next year. Play Ant.
When I say we don't need Ant, I meant it as in I don't think his coming on will vault us into being a top A10 team.. I think this season is a wash.. We have way too many holes in this roster right now, unfortunately. Especially in our frontcourt. Ant can't change the serious loss of losing Bilau...

My worry is he hasn't been practicing or playing. He's going to be incredibly rusty.. I agree that playing Ant would help him get the rust off and build chemistry with this team which will help for next season, and I agree that he’ll make this team better…

It would be fun to finally add him to this roster, but It doesn't look like it will happen based on Archie's comments.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Your first sentence has less than zero to do with my post, but keep repeating yourself about how you feel towards my posts.

For some here, who look at things rationally and with some basketball knowledge instead of extreme bias (which is fine, to each is own), it was clear from the beginning of the season this team was not going to be that good.

There are plenty of rational people on here. When was the last time you said something positive about a recruit? You said Ant wasn't a loss. You said I was overhyping Connor because I think his ability to make a three will make an impact. Cam makes 7 3s in a game, but it doesn't matter to you because it's a highlight clip... You never respond or post about the games they play well in.. But when they don't, you are quick to mention it. I guess that's being rational to you.

To prove your point, you exaggerate what people say...You do it to me all the time.... You've done it to others as well. You act as if I say every single recruit will be the next A10 player of the year, and this team will win the A10 every year... I don't think that. Never have.

Then I say we don't need Ant at this stage, and what a surprise.. you have an issue with it..

Did I say we don’t need Ant because I think he sucks now? My opinion of the type of player I think Ant can be hasn't changed.. My opinion of the team has changed...I said Ant was a big loss 3 months ago. I had no idea Ish would be a much better player this year. I thought Ant and Bray would be the only guards, and possibly Carey, that could make a big impact. I was wrong. Ish has been incredible in many games.

So I guess you're right. My opinion of the impact Ant can make if he started NOW in these circumstances has changed...You have to factor in the current circumstances of our record, this roster, and Ant being at home for months.. At the very least, I thought Ant would be practicing and playing with this team on campus. Rust matters. Chemistry matters. Having a raw and incredibly weak frontcourt matters...

I'm not sure if you've ever played a sport, but it takes time to get your game and confidence back when you don't play for a while. I still think Ant will be a great player eventually, but it's very hard to jump into any D1 roster halfway into the season that you haven't practiced a second with..

If you truly mean to each his own, stop responding to my posts, and I'll stop responding to yours. We disagree about everything on here. I'm fine with never doing this annoying back-and-forth with you again.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

There are plenty of rational people on here. When was the last time you said something positive about a recruit? You said Ant wasn't a loss. You said I was overhyping Connor because I think his ability to make a three will make an impact. Cam makes 7 3s in a game, but it doesn't matter to you because it's a highlight clip... You never respond or post about the games they play well in.. But when they don't, you are quick to mention it. I guess that's being rational to you.

To prove your point, you exaggerate what people say...You do it to me all the time.... You've done it to others as well. You act as if I say every single recruit will be the next A10 player of the year, and this team will win the A10 every year... I don't think that. Never have.

Then I say we don't need Ant at this stage, and what a surprise.. you have an issue with it..

Did I say we don’t need Ant because I think he sucks now? My opinion of the type of player I think Ant can be hasn't changed.. My opinion of the team has changed...I said Ant was a big loss 3 months ago. I had no idea Ish would be a much better player this year. I thought Ant and Bray would be the only guards, and possibly Carey, that could make a big impact. I was wrong. Ish has been incredible in many games.

So I guess you're right. My opinion of the impact Ant can make if he started NOW in these circumstances has changed...You have to factor in the current circumstances of our record, this roster, and Ant being at home for months.. At the very least, I thought Ant would be practicing and playing with this team on campus. Rust matters. Chemistry matters. Having a raw and incredibly weak frontcourt matters...

I'm not sure if you've ever played a sport, but it takes time to get your game and confidence back when you don't play for a while. I still think Ant will be a great player eventually, but it's very hard to jump into any D1 roster halfway into the season that you haven't practiced a second with..

If you truly mean to each his own, stop responding to my posts, and I'll stop responding to yours. We disagree about everything on here. I'm fine with never doing this annoying back-and-forth with you again.
Interesting discourse between Steven and 15.

Just my two cents, I highly respect Steven and his assessment. I have found fault for years in the way 15 disses players and recruits, and really haven’t seen any true basketball expertise in his posts.

Full disclosure, I have never played a D1 sport…never played basketball, but I love the Rams.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

We need Ant and he needs us

Can’t wait to watch him play this year !

going to the semis baby !!!

Here we go

We are here to kick some a10 ass !

Fire it up !

Fireball style !
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago

Just my two cents, I highly respect Steven and his assessment. I have found fault for years in the way 15 disses players and recruits, and really haven’t seen any true basketball expertise in his posts.

Full disclosure, I have never played a D1 sport…never played basketball, but I love the Rams.

You’re only saying this because you didn’t like me trashing the biggest bust we’ve had in recent memory.

Also turns out I was 100% correct about him from the get go, so there’s some “basketball expertise” for ya.

Also won the prediction contest, finishing first in multiple categories. Guess I just closed my eyes and luckily picked everything with that.

I can also guarantee multiple people here would say I know quite a bit about basketball when I post.

You might not like what I say but that doesn’t mean I’m clueless about basketball. I know what I’m talking about.

I’m a fan, but also a knowledgeable fan who has played, coached, been around, and lived the game my whole life, and posts based on what I see on the court instead of being a Kingston homer.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^^^^^^^^^

Clearly, many more pages to come... ;)
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago We need Ant and he needs us

Can’t wait to watch him play this year !

going to the semis baby !!!

Here we go

We are here to kick some a10 ass !

Fire it up !

Fireball style !
I enjoy your positivity, ECR, but unfortunately I do not hold out much hope for seeing a significant impact from Ant this season. I would be happy to be proven wrong, however.

Now, as sucky as the conference is this season, I don’t think it is unreasonable for Rhody to get hot for a few days and win a couple of games in the A10 Tourney. Maybe we catch a good break and a good matchup or two until we run into Dayton, St Louis or maybe VCU. Let’s hope for an interesting and relevant end to the season.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Just trying to stay positive - obviously the body of work so far shows I am clearly wrong but we still have some time here / and frankly it has everything to do w coach miller cas clearly if you take this years performance and change the coaches name then I’d be singing a different tune and quoting Johnny cash .. but I know this guy knows what he is doing and will right the ship - hopefully by end of year to give us a little fun
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You’re only saying this because you didn’t like me trashing the biggest bust we’ve had in recent memory.

Also turns out I was 100% correct about him from the get go, so there’s some “basketball expertise” for ya.

Also won the prediction contest, finishing first in multiple categories. Guess I just closed my eyes and luckily picked everything with that.

I can also guarantee multiple people here would say I know quite a bit about basketball when I post.

You might not like what I say but that doesn’t mean I’m clueless about basketball. I know what I’m talking about.

I’m a fan, but also a knowledgeable fan who has played, coached, been around, and lived the game my whole life, and posts based on what I see on the court instead of being a Kingston homer.
Did you really use your prediction contest results to reinforce your bball knowledge? I can’t.

It’s also odd to seem shocked that there are homer takes on (checks notes)…. the freakin fan message board. Wow imagine that.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I respect you as well! We have sat and talked URI hoops before, and I think you’re a knowledgeable die-hard Rhody fan!

I’m not going to sit here and list why I’m an expert. I find that silly, and I’m not an expert. I simply love the game and love this program. If me posting clips of games and recruits truly is a problem for some people on here, then I can stop doing it. I felt like it was my way of contributing to this fantastic message board. I had no idea that having a positive outlook on recruits would cause this much drama, but here we are.

Anyways, I’m moving on. I hope to see you at a game soon! Let's beat Duquense...Go, Rhody!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Did you really use your prediction contest results to reinforce your bball knowledge? I can’t.

It’s also odd to seem shocked that there are homer takes on (checks notes)…. the freakin fan message board. Wow imagine that.

You once bragged about the amount of money you donate to the program in order to sound like a big shot.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Who are they? Just curious.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That quite a Resume Rhody 15. You da man!

As an interviewer might follow up from that Resume…
Do you have any weaknesses?
What were some mistakes you’ve made in the past and what did you learn from them?
How would your peers describe you?
Do you participate in any sports message boards? If so how do you think you treat fellow board members? How do you think fellow board members would feel about your strengths and weaknesses?

January 1st is tomorrow! Happy New Year to All!!!!
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago Just trying to stay positive - obviously the body of work so far shows I am clearly wrong but we still have some time here / and frankly it has everything to do w coach miller cas clearly if you take this years performance and change the coaches name then I’d be singing a different tune and quoting Johnny cash .. but I know this guy knows what he is doing and will right the ship - hopefully by end of year to give us a little fun
I wish I shared your optimism. Love that Archie is our coach. Bodes well for the future. We just don't have the horses to do damage this year. Especially down low. Losing Bilau is huge. Unless Stewart comes out of nowhere to contribute our bigs have done nothing to show they are ready. Even adding ant is not going to offset that no matter how good he is. Right now I am just hoping for consistent improvement. It's time for that to happen.
Happy New year to all🏀🍻
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You once bragged about the amount of money you donate to the program in order to sound like a big shot.

Don’t you have some posts to police? Gotta make sure there aren’t too many optimistic fans running around here.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Honestly, this is starting to enter Jordan Hare territory at this point. If the thought was there were no setbacks, why isn't he on campus at this point, if for no other reason to get acquainted with the team, even if due to NCAA rules he couldn't practice or play?

Well said !
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Let’s go Ant thread….err….I mean, let’s go Rhody!

:lol:
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Total speculation. The “J “ term starts Jan2. The regular spring semester starts Jan 20. Maybe that is when he officially becomes a student??
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Total speculation. The “J “ term starts Jan2. The regular spring semester starts Jan 20. Maybe that is when he officially becomes a student??
That kind of would make sense, since this seems to be a transcript and eligibility issue ultimately, vs. an old school mid-year transfer. I was racking my brain, trying to think of the last time URI had a player join midseason. Was it Scott Hazelton? If so, it's ancient history, but his first game was the 10th regular season one of the year, on Dec. 21, 2003. However, he was more of an old school, traditional transfer, and any snafu with grades or eligibility had 6+ months to be worked out.

If Harris needs to be "cleared" by the NCAA, URI or whatever JC / community college he was at this past semester, then Jan. 20 is probably as good a "deadline" date as any. URI would still have 12 games, plus the A-10 tournament, which is enough to make it worth the effort.