2022-23 Men's Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022-23 Men's Games of Interest

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Once UConn came calling Hurley was going regardless of any enhancements that would have been in-place.
I doubt very much that URI was ever going to be his final destination.
Also, at the time not sure what Thorr would have been able to get done, don't think he had final say.
Respectively disagree 100%.

But even iff your are right and if Hurley was going to go regardless, then it makes even more sense for Thorr and Dooley to put their heads together and offer Hurley a strong pay and benefits package including a high quality practice facility. What did they have to lose if as you say Hurley was going regardless? Put on your poker face and bluff away. At least all could say Thorr and Dooley did all they possibly could to keep Hurley. As it played out they did too little too late and they know it.
Ramster all I am saying is this wasn't going to be Hurley's final landing spot.

Yes, we are all aware that the enhancements were long overdue.
We don't know if Thorr's hands were tied at the time, or about his efforts and lobbying in trying to get it done.
And yes, I am one of the many that agreed with the Cox hire.
Who would have tied Thorr's hands? The same person who untied them?

Had Dr Parlange been in place at the time of the UCONN offer I think Hurley would have been much less likely to leave. Unfortunately we hired David Cox who had zero HC Experience. 5 years later we wait.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The dramatic up and down cycles that URI has had for decades and is currently once again experiencing is what you get with the way the school operates. We are currently in the midst of our third successive losing season and may well see it extend further next year. I would imagine program revenues from all sources have significantly dropped since the success of 2017 and 2018 - be it ticket revenue, concessions, sponsorships, donations, or NCAA shares. Not increasing investment unfortunately often results in less revenues. In the end, finances might end up in the exact same state. You however have more disgruntled and disengaged fans. This management mode may well follow the penny wise / pound foolish adage.

I can only imagine the sorry financial state that the program is now presently experiencing in the early years of the Miller tenure. URI is spending much more than it ever has before with a buyout, higher current salaries (head coach and support staff) and increased operating expenses (more charters, buy games, increase to recruiting budget). At the same time, there is probably a significant drop in revenues due to the poor program performance. While I hope this is a short term problem that will be soon be reversed with Miller finding success, it must be extremely painful to the bottom line at the moment.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The dramatic up and down cycles that URI has had for decades and is currently once again experiencing is what you get with the way the school operates. We are currently in the midst of our third successive losing season and may well see it extend further next year. I would imagine program revenues from all sources have significantly dropped since the success of 2017 and 2018 - be it ticket revenue, concessions, sponsorships, donations, or NCAA shares. Not increasing investment unfortunately often results in less revenues. In the end, finances might end up in the exact same state. You however have more disgruntled and disengaged fans. This management mode may well follow the penny wise / pound foolish adage.

I can only imagine the sorry financial state that the program is now presently experiencing in the early years of the Miller tenure. URI is spending much more than it ever has before with a buyout, higher current salaries (head coach and support staff) and increased operating expenses (more charters, buy games, increase to recruiting budget). At the same time, there is probably a significant drop in revenues due to the poor program performance. While I hope this is a short term problem that will be soon be reversed with Miller finding success, it must be extremely painful to the bottom line at the moment.
The coaching salaries are in the URI budget now. No more painful than the President's salary or an Engineering professor.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Respectively disagree 100%.

But even iff your are right and if Hurley was going to go regardless, then it makes even more sense for Thorr and Dooley to put their heads together and offer Hurley a strong pay and benefits package including a high quality practice facility. What did they have to lose if as you say Hurley was going regardless? Put on your poker face and bluff away. At least all could say Thorr and Dooley did all they possibly could to keep Hurley. As it played out they did too little too late and they know it.

We don't know if Thorr's hands were tied at the time, or about his efforts and lobbying in trying to get it done.

Had Dr Parlange been in place at the time of the UCONN offer I think Hurley would have been much less likely to leave. Unfortunately we hired David Cox who had zero HC Experience. 5 years later we wait.
The situation and sense of urgency forced their hands.
AD's don't just have blank checks to use for their discretion.
Unfortunately for Thorr things moved at a slower pace than he would have liked.

Going to UConn was a no-brainer for him once given the opportunity.
Aside from the financial aspect was the prestige and history of the program, plus playing on a much bigger stage.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Khalid Moore also had a bad shooting night. He had been playing well for Fordham. Fordham a miserable 3-31 on 3 point shots
Davidson really defended Moore well last night. Took away his right and that pretty much all his drives to the basket. Davidson was really well prepared defensively . Few three point attempts, Didnt look like the typical Davidson team.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Khalid Moore also had a bad shooting night. He had been playing well for Fordham. Fordham a miserable 3-31 on 3 point shots
Davidson really defended Moore well last night. Took away his right and that pretty much all his drives to the basket. Davidson was really well prepared defensively . Few three point attempts, Didnt look like the typical Davidson team.
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago Let’s be honest here-Fordham stinks. They are just another sub 200 ranked team in the A-10 that is a below average team who has played a very poor schedule. The A-10 has certainly had some down years, but this might be the biggest one yet. Tough to get excited about any A-10 games this season.

unr saying that “Fordham stinks”.Don’t u think that grossly premature to say that after a single lousy game.!!
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

The coaching salaries are in the URI budget now.

These are backed by booster guarantees (am told). If teams can't generate enough to cover the costs,boosters will short stop the gap.
The school may be fronting the $$,but private parties will be doing the heavy lifting if thing don't go well.
With Miller's imminent NCAA tourney runs,he won't need any booster help.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Aside from the financial aspect was the prestige and history of the program, plus playing on a much bigger stage.
Apparently UCONN's AD had a blank check
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Apparently UCONN's AD had a blank check
:) They were also desperate at the time.
They can write bigger checks.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago Let’s be honest here-Fordham stinks. They are just another sub 200 ranked team in the A-10 that is a below average team who has played a very poor schedule. The A-10 has certainly had some down years, but this might be the biggest one yet. Tough to get excited about any A-10 games this season.

unr saying that “Fordham stinks”.Don’t u think that grossly premature to say that after a single lousy game.!!
Fordham has a NET ranking of 163. They stink.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

And that 163 is more artificially enhanced than Pamela Anderson's chest
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Ok. Blue Ram, I get it, u think Fordham stinks,

so where do u thinkFordham will finish in the A 10?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

That is what I am saying. They will have many loses in a very poor conference. Their schedule has been terrible. A good team wins games like that at home. They will lose many road games. It is more of just how bad the conference is this year. There realistically could be no teams in the top 75.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Ok. Blue Ram, I get it, u think Fordham stinks,

so where do u thinkFordham will finish in the A 10?
Outside of an NCAAT and NIT invite.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think their ceiling is like 11-7 conference more likely I think they may be 9-9
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Fordham's Kenpom is 188, which currently puts them between the Bonnies (165) and URI (204). Lower than URI are St. Joe's (217), G.W. (223) and La Salle (256). Eleventh place for Fordham seems about right, a couple games under .500 in A-10 play.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Fordham's Kenpom is 188, which currently puts them between the Bonnies (165) and URI (204). Lower than URI are St. Joe's (217), G.W. (223) and La Salle (256). Eleventh place for Fordham seems about right, a couple games under .500 in A-10 play.
The problem with Ken Pom, especially this early in the season, is that he uses results from the prior season in his formula. In the past Team Rosters were much, much more stable - when transfers were only 350 per year and they are now 1800 per year for the past 2 years. Ken Pom continues to use prior year results all the way up through February at a decreasing rate as the season moves along - so as time goes on his results get closer to the NET results. NET only uses current year performance - so NET reflects the current roster and the team's performance for that single season.

URI was better last season in record and efficiency. So Ken Pom is a relatively low 203, Sagarin is 205 (I think Sagarin uses prior year performance as well.

NET is 269 and RPI is 268 for URI - both use ONLY this season statistics. The bigger gap comes when a team is much better or much worse than the prior season - because KenPom uses prior year results in steadily diminishing way.

As teams have almost completely new rosters in many cases, then the new team may be much better than the prior year OR the new team could b e much wore.

St Bonaventure a perfect example. Lost all 5 starters, most had been 4 years together, yet Ken Pom uses last year's results to a diminishing degree.

Accuracy improves for all Measurement systems as the season progresses.

For Duquesne Game from Spookydog write up:
Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 123 (269)
RPI: 112 (268)

KenPom: 117 (203)
BPI: 162 (248)
Sagarin: 144 (205)
Barttovik: 89 (229)
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago I think their ceiling is like 11-7 conference more likely I think they may be 9-9
Would this be their best year ever in conference at 9-9?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Fordham's Kenpom is 188, which currently puts them between the Bonnies (165) and URI (204). Lower than URI are St. Joe's (217), G.W. (223) and La Salle (256). Eleventh place for Fordham seems about right, a couple games under .500 in A-10 play.
The problem with Ken Pom, especially this early in the season, is that he uses results from the prior season in his formula. In the past Team Rosters were much, much more stable - when transfers were only 350 per year and they are now 1800 per year for the past 2 years. Ken Pom continues to use prior year results all the way up through February at a decreasing rate as the season moves along - so as time goes on his results get closer to the NET results. NET only uses current year performance - so NET reflects the current roster and the team's performance for that single season.

URI was better last season in record and efficiency. So Ken Pom is a relatively low 203, Sagarin is 205 (I think Sagarin uses prior year performance as well.

NET is 269 and RPI is 268 for URI - both use ONLY this season statistics. The bigger gap comes when a team is much better or much worse than the prior season - because KenPom uses prior year results in steadily diminishing way.

As teams have almost completely new rosters in many cases, then the new team may be much better than the prior year OR the new team could b e much wore.

St Bonaventure a perfect example. Lost all 5 starters, most had been 4 years together, yet Ken Pom uses last year's results to a diminishing degree.

Rankings (URI):

I think the final A-10 standings are more likely to resemble the current KenPom rankings than the current NET rankings. If you'd like to have more faith in the NET rankings, feel free.

I do still think that overall program quality and year-to-year record matters - accounting for "infrastructure," if you will. Dayton has generally been average to excellent throughout its entire run in the A-10; Fordham has been awful. The transfer market being more volatile *increases* the importance of this; it doesn't diminish it. If you're a fifth graduate transfer, why do you want to go to some school that's historically been trash, if you can go to a better one?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Rankings (URI):

I think the final A-10 standings are more likely to resemble the current KenPom rankings than the current NET rankings. If you'd like to have more faith in the NET rankings, feel free.

I do still think that overall program quality and year-to-year record matters - accounting for "infrastructure," if you will. Dayton has generally been average to excellent throughout its entire run in the A-10; Fordham has been awful. The transfer market being more volatile *increases* the importance of this; it doesn't diminish it. If you're a fifth graduate transfer, why do you want to go to some school that's historically been trash, if you can go to a better one?
Fordham was able to sign grad transfer (F) Khalid Moore.
He started 30 games for Georgia Tech last season.
Moore is currently averaging 15 pts (49% FG)/ 6 rebs.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rankings (URI):

I think there is mostly truth here with one dispute (that of course I couldn't find on KenPoms site). I'm pretty sure the prior year results component is slightly based on big-picture program trajectory, but is more about who is remaining on your roster and how they have performed before. So a team with five new starters who were all transfers would be graded mostly on how they (the transfers) produced the season before. A national championship team who lost every player wouldn't be weighted just by that national championship, but rather who they replaced them with.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Rankings (URI):

Fordham was able to sign grad transfer (F) Khalid Moore.
He started 30 games for Georgia Tech last season.
Moore is currently averaging 15 pts (49% FG)/ 6 rebs.
Moore went to high school about 30 minutes from Fordham, according to Google Maps. And "Georgia Tech" is a name school, but they went 12-20 last year and Moore's PER was 8.7 there. I suspect his current mark of 21.2 at Fordham is going to decline sharply now that they're out of the "300+ only" schedule strength portion of their schedule. (He went 1-for-10 against Davidson, for example.)

Not that all of that invalidates what you're saying. Even bad schools are going to get graduate transfers sometimes... But I bet in a five year span, Dayton and VCU - or if you want to look at a rival that's unfortunately done it nearly perfectly, Providence - pull down more and better ones.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago

Rankings (URI):

I think there is mostly truth here with one dispute (that of course I couldn't find on KenPoms site). I'm pretty sure the prior year results component is slightly based on big-picture program trajectory, but is more about who is remaining on your roster and how they have performed before. So a team with five new starters who were all transfers would be graded mostly on how they (the transfers) produced the season before. A national championship team who lost every player wouldn't be weighted just by that national championship, but rather who they replaced them with.
This is true - it's not on his site but I remember reading an article somewhere that quoted KP on how his algorithm works. By conference play, last year's results have very little impact on the ratings this year.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Quinnipiac vs Siena at 4 on ESPN3
Army vs Lehigh at 6 on ESPN+
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago ...
I did NOT agree with the Cox hire at the time but thought it would work out in the long run because he is a quality person with strong recruiting ties in the DMV area.

You can't keep a coach around that everyone know is about to be fired. Underclassmen start looking elsewhere. You cannot recruit. The store is empty for the next coach.

While I support the Miller hire he was out of coaching for a year and had no recruits lined up. This exacerbated an already talent void. We will stink this year and next as a result. URI will not be an easy rebuild job for Archie. I'll continue to put the blame where it belongs.
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Given the current state of our program we should think twice before saying another college's team "stinks".
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago

Given the current state of our program we should think twice before saying another college's team "stinks".
Nah, we suck. Fordham stinks. Lighten up Francis.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

If you guys are not doing anything tomorrow I have Thomas Aiello on YouTube Live tomorrow. He is an expert on Fordham Hoops who works for WFUV Sports.

You can ask him any questions about the team with this YouTube format.

I hope to see you live at
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With its home court loss to Siena today, Quinnipiac is now 0-3 in the MAAC.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Pitt beats UNC today 76-74.
They are now 3-0 in the ACC.
Capel's contract runs through 26-27.

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Pitt beats UNC today 76-74.
They are now 3-0 in the ACC.
Capel's contract runs through 26-27.

Dating myself, but...kinda sorta been a bit of a Pitt fan since the day I saw Arch's bro make this awesome play...

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

That was some major posterization. Classic.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago That was some major posterization. Classic.
A comment that I saw on one of the versions, that I might agree with, went something like, 'if you shatter the backboard like that - game over - your team wins"

ETA: This needs to be tested out someplace, with film shared for all.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s also kinda awesome that it’s probably the most famous highlight of PC basketball — getting postered.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting game Eastern Michigan lost by 10 at South Carolina. Memphis transfer 6’10” Emoni Bates with a career high 36 points with 8-15 3-point shooting plus 6 boards. 6’9” Freshman GG Jackson played solid with 24 points and 9 rebounds for South Carolina. He shot 4-9 3-pointers. Two talented big men letting the 3-ball fly!!
Maybe Scott can get an interview with TJ Buchanan one day to get his opinion on Bates, and see how TJ and family are liking being back home in Michigan?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thursday night Central Michigan had a huge upset at Michigan
The Chipawas were 21.5 point underdogs to the P5 Big 10 Wolverines

CMU starts 3 freshmen including Max Majerle who is the son of Dan Majerle who starred at Central Michigan and was a 1st round draft pick in the NBA. Has to be sweet for Dan to see his son knock off Michigan in his Freshman year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago If you guys are not doing anything tomorrow I have Thomas Aiello on YouTube Live tomorrow. He is an expert on Fordham Hoops who works for WFUV Sports.

You can ask him any questions about the team with this YouTube format.

I hope to see you live at
Scott,
Can’t make it at 12pm but a few questions to possibly ask:

Last game vs Davidson Fordham was 56-33 outrebounded And Only 3 for 31 on 3Ps. How much of these results were Davidson defense and how much was Fordham having an off night? Was Davidson that much better?

Only loss besides Davidson was at Top 10 Ranked Arkansas. What were takeaways from that game?

Impressions of Khalid Moore? How good a season will he have in A10 conference and A10 Tournament?

Did Khalid Moore reach out to Fordham or did Fordham reach out to Khalid Moore in recruiting him from Georgia Tech?

Some think Fordhams 12-2 record is a fluke, won’t last. You say?

How was the transition from Kyle Neptune to your new HC?

Do you think Fordham can win the A10 Tournament and why? What needs to improve?

Thanks
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Stony Brook at Northeastern at 12 on CBS Sports
Rhode Island at Duquesne at 1 on ESPN+
St. Louis at St. Joe's at 1 on ESPN+
Richmond at George Mason at 2 on ESPN+
UMass at St. Bonaventure at 2 on ESPN+
La Salle at VCU at 2 on ESPN+
Dayton at Davidson at 2 on ESPN+
Boston College at Syracuse at 2 on ACC Network
UMass Lowell at NJIT at 2 on ESPN3
Georgia State at 2 on ESPN+
Illinois State vs Northern Iowa at 3 on ESPN+
George Washington at Loyola Chicago at 4 on ESPN+
Texas State vs Troy at 5 on ESPN+
Kansas State vs #24 West Virginia at 7 on ESPN+
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

So many fun games to watch today, pumped
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago So many fun games to watch today, pumped
Agree...and as an ACC fan, that'll include blowouts of a couple of favorites in Lville (Kentucky) and FSU (Duke). Syracuse should be able to get by BC, but, we'll see....
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This Xavier Uconn game is really good so far
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Sorry guys. I couldn’t get my guest on because he is not verified yet so I will do the old fashioned way and use zoom. It will be better after the game anyway.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I like #12 Baylor at Iowa State 2pm ESPNU

Iowa State has Osun Osunniyi and Jaren Holmes who they got from St Bonaventure and Hasan Ward who they got from VCU
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

UConn is so fucking good. Snipers all over the floor
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Dan has them playing really good right now. Tough environment to play in against a strong team. This would be a very strong road win if the leg humpers hold on. They could be #1 come next week.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago So many fun games to watch today, pumped
Agree...and as an ACC fan, that'll include blowouts of a couple of favorites in Lville (Kentucky) and FSU (Duke). Syracuse should be able to get by BC, but, we'll see....
Toppin with a follow up jam that y'all will be seeing on espn tonite...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UConn loses 83-73
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

reef wrote: 1 year agoUConn loses 83-73
Misleading final score. Close game throughout. UCONN let it get away in the last two minutes. They couldn’t buy a three late. A Hurley tech under 4:00 didn’t help.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago
Misleading final score. Close game throughout. UCONN let it get away in the last two minutes. They couldn’t buy a three late. A Hurley tech under 4:00 didn’t help.
Loss makes sense Uconn is really good but not undefeated good
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

At least today isn't a total loss.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.