A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by bigappleram »

If Umass frosh Gapare keeps developing at a rapid rate they could easily win the league. They have a deep and talented roster. Martin would be my early COY candidate. St Louis and Dayton are still the two most talented teams but neither has an at large resume. Agree with the posters above this doesn’t feel like a year where any A10 team wins 15 games.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If Umass frosh Gapare keeps developing at a rapid rate they could easily win the league. They have a deep and talented roster. Martin would be my early COY candidate. St Louis and Dayton are still the two most talented teams but neither has an at large resume. Agree with the posters above this doesn’t feel like a year where any A10 team wins 15 games.
National COY or A10?

Hurley right now is clearly national COY.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If Umass frosh Gapare keeps developing at a rapid rate they could easily win the league. They have a deep and talented roster. Martin would be my early COY candidate. St Louis and Dayton are still the two most talented teams but neither has an at large resume. Agree with the posters above this doesn’t feel like a year where any A10 team wins 15 games.
BAR, I think it is possible for UMass but when Smith and Elvis come back for Dayton, they can be a much-improved team. Also, I do expect SLU to get their act together along with VCU and possibly Richmond and Davidson.

As for A10- COY, Martin is a good choice so far, but hard to leave out Keith Urgo and what he is doing at Fordham.
Also, much more difficult circumstances at that program along with recruiting.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
National COY or A10?

Cmon dude I obviously meant in the league not nationally. I know you are here to police thought but I don’t need policing.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
BAR, I think it is possible for UMass but when Smith and Elvis come back for Dayton, they can be a much-improved team. Also, I do expect SLU to get their act together along with VCU and possibly Richmond and Davidson.

As for A10- COY, Martin is a good choice so far, but hard to leave out Keith Urgo and what he is doing at Fordham.
Agree that UD has top end talent when they get those two back. I do like Umass over those other teams you have listed, as it stands, right now.
I think their roster top to bottom is 3rd best in the league right now behind SLU and UD.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Agree that UD has top end talent when they get those two back. I do like Umass over those other teams you have listed, as it stands, right now.
I think their roster top to bottom is 3rd best in the league right now behind SLU and UD.
Yes, very impressed with what Martin has done.
Adding transfer Matt Cross was huge, what an impact he is making.
Also, to pick up 4* PF Gapare late in the recruiting period was amazing, he is a stud.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

National COY or A10?

Cmon dude I obviously meant in the league not nationally. I know you are here to police thought but I don’t need policing.

I literally just asked a question man.

Love how one person has an opinion on my posting then everyone else jumps aboard lol it’s quite funny.
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Fordham has the weakest non-conference slate in the country. Getting big-time Baron vibes when I look at them and who they've played. They'll come back down to earth.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Fordham has the weakest non-conference slate in the country. Getting big-time Baron vibes when I look at them and who they've played. They'll come back down to earth.
They have, but considering their situation, I don't blame them.
The win down at Tulane really impressed me.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

National COY or A10?

Maybe you need policing but you just don’t know it?
On the plus side, if he is policing you then that’s less time for policing me. :D
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Not sure where to put this (it may deserve its own thread) but Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker will become the NCAA's next President replacing Mark Emmert.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 1 year ago Not sure where to put this (it may deserve its own thread) but Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker will become the NCAA's next President replacing Mark Emmert.

Looks like he is still staying in politics but with a big bump in pay.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

STC wrote: 1 year ago Not sure where to put this (it may deserve its own thread) but Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker will become the NCAA's next President replacing Mark Emmert.

Looks like he is still staying in politics but with a big bump in pay.
My favorite comment on this that I saw online last night - "If he manages the NCAA like he managed the T we're all in for a fun ride."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"The Atlantic 10 is a big, beautiful mess
It won’t happen, but the A10 feels on track for the unprecedented no-bid league."

By Sam_Federman@Sam_Federman Dec 15, 2022, 4:14pm PST

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2022/12 ... basketball

"Archie Miller’s return to the sidelines hasn’t gone as planned, with Rhode Island stumbling out of the gates to a 2-7 start. While New England rivals UMass have gotten off to a great start in their new era, Rhody has had just about the opposite experience this season. Losses at home to Quinnipiac, Texas State, and Brown have gotten Rams fans angry with their teams’ performance this year, and even despite their overtime win over a good UMass Lowell team, a 4-7 start is well below expectations.

Why they can beat anybody: When Archie Miller had his best teams at Dayton, they were all driven by elite defenses, and while this Rams defense isn’t quite elite, it’s certainly good. Rhode Island is really good at running teams off the three point line, and when teams do take threes, they’re not great shots.

Why they can lose to anybody: Rhode Island struggles immensely to create offense in the half court. While Brayon Freeman and Ish Leggett can score, the lack of consistent shooting makes it hard for the Rams to space the floor, and their pick and roll is one of the worst in the country."
Last edited by SGreenwell 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SG Edit: Changed link to a more stable version.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I feel like the why they can win/lose is just the site aggregating comments from this board. Nothing there is news to us. In fact, it's everything we've been saying over and over.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Davidson at #1 Ranked Purdue today.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Davidson at #1 Ranked Purdue today.
Now, there's a test.... -15.5.....
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Curious to see how Davidson holds up.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
That game may be close the first couple of minutes, then I switch to UConn/Butler.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
It's like a New Year's Eve Miracle! Thorr....Marc....are you seeing this??
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
It's like a New Year's Eve Miracle! Thorr....Marc....are you seeing this??
I like dollar beers and hot dogs.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That game may be close the first couple of minutes, then I switch to UConn/Butler.
No so fast 77. 1 point game at halftime!!

I did not know Foster Loyer’s brother player for Purdue.
Fletcher Loyer is a Freshman for the Boilermakers.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

No so fast 77. 1 point game at halftime!!

I did not know Foster Loyer’s brother player for Purdue.
Fletcher Loyer is a Freshman for the Boilermakers.
Yes, I am watching.

I did notice that about the Loyer brothers when I watched the Purdue/Nebraska OT game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton, favored by 20.5 beat Alcorn State at home Tuesday night 88-46 a margin of 42 points

Dayton started 5 Forwards

The big 42 point margin of victory impacted Dayton’s Efficiency helping to enable a 20 point overnight jump in BET from 108 to 88.

St Louis should drop today after a disastrous loss to SIUE at home.

A10 May soon have only 1 team with a NET below 100 :cry:

Dayton starting line up vs Alcorn State:
Sharavjamts F 6’8”
Blakney F 6’6”
Camara F 6’8”
Holmes F 6’10”
Amzil F 6’9”

Dayton may be taking the poll position in the A10 race
FA9F8A17-1F2E-438A-B01B-A61AAF46178F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Dayton, favored by 20.5 beat Alcorn State at home Tuesday night 88-46 a margin of 42 points

The big 42 point margin of victory impacted Dayton’s Efficiency helping to enable a 20 point overnight jump in BET from 108 to 88.

Sharavjamts F 6’8”
Blakney F 6’6”
Camara F 6’8”
Holmes F 6’10”
Amzil F 6’9”

Sharavjamts has been playing PG and Blakney CG while Smith and Elvis are out.
Sharavjamts (Mongolian Mike) has also been leading them in assists (42) about 4 per game.
Brea averaging about 22 minutes, also has played both guard positions.

Also for Dayton, forward Tyrone Baker (6'9") entered the portal this past week.
He was a transfer from Georgia, only played 3 games in 21-22 (freshman), due to illness and injury.
Didn't see the court this season for Dayton.

It appears that winning the A10T is the only thing that matters at this point as far as an NCAAT bid.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Dayton, favored by 20.5 beat Alcorn State at home Tuesday night 88-46 a margin of 42 points

Sharavjamts F 6’8”
Blakney F 6’6”
Camara F 6’8”
Holmes F 6’10”
Amzil F 6’9”

Sharavjamts (Mongolian Mike) has also been leading them in assists (42) about 4 per game.

He was a transfer from Georgia, only played 3 games in 21-22 (freshman), due to illness and injury.

It appears that winning the A10T is the only thing that matters at this point as far as an NCAAT bid.

Dayton Board is an interesting read in the Alcorn State thread
Positionless Basketball discussed. Amzil had 8 assists 3 TOs as a “Point Forward”. Blakney had 5 assists 2 TOs. Everyone else had 2 or less Assists.

https://www.udpride.com/forums/showthre ... post713210
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sharavjamts F 6’8”
Blakney F 6’6”
Camara F 6’8”
Holmes F 6’10”
Amzil F 6’9”

Also losing Kaleb Washington to the portal

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The wide ranging changes (conference realignment, introduction of NET and its subsequent tweaks, further power league consolidation over the sport, OOC scheduling, increased coaching salaries, facility arms race, stipends, NIL, transfer process) over the last several years in men's college basketball have hurt the A-10 like no other league. The conference used to be a sure bet for 3 or more bids a decade ago. It has more recently struggled just to get two teams in the tournament. It appears all but certain there will only be one team this season, the A-10 tournament Champion. I would have to imagine that the A-10 would be far and away the most expensive one bid league to operate a program in. If a single bid becomes commonplace, the financial model for the league and its programs is likely not sustainable. Less NCAA teams negatively affects many revenue aspects - NCAA pool payouts, tv contract, OOC scheduling, home attendance and ticket pricing, corp sponsorships, ...etc
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Oooph! This is a rough year for the conference.

Hopefully, the conference starts to turn things around next year and this year is just a confluence of bad luck, timing, injuries, etc.

There are very capable new ( Arch, Frank Martin ) and existing coaches - who have been to the tourney before - in the conference to get 3 teams in the tourney annually, I think. Maybe it is an adjustment period to the changes RF1 posted of above? Maybe it’s some in opportune injuries? Maybe a combination of issues that need to be adapted to by conference programs?

Maybe there will be a few more A10 programs with coaches on the hot seat (Ford at St. Louis?) to make room for some coaching upgrades.

I guess we will find out over the next 3-4 years (after the current season) if the majority of the programs in the conference are able to adapt.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Oooph! This is a rough year for the conference.

Hopefully, the conference starts to turn things around next year and this year is just a confluence of bad luck, timing, injuries, etc.

There are very capable new ( Arch, Frank Martin ) and existing coaches - who have been to the tourney before - in the conference to get 3 teams in the tourney annually, I think. Maybe it is an adjustment period to the changes RF1 posted of above? Maybe it’s some in opportune injuries? Maybe a combination of issues that need to be adapted to by conference programs?

Maybe there will be a few more A10 programs with coaches on the hot seat (Ford at St. Louis?) to make room for some coaching upgrades.

I guess we will find out over the next 3-4 years (after the current season) if the majority of the programs in the conference are able to adapt.
It's every single team. Not just a couple. Maybe, it's taking transfers from high programs who are actually not that good?
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Yes, BR. Just bringing in transfers from higher conferences doesn’t mean they are good or will find success. I believe we get that here but, the average or band wagon fan? Not so much. Which could lead to warped expectations for the average fan.

I think successful coaches have player profiles by position and are disciplined in bringing in players that fit the profile(s).

Thinking back, I think that (having set profiles of players by position and being disciplined as to the profile(s) ) was one (of many) of DC’s problems. He either didn’t have profiles in mind and /or wasn’t disciplined enough to stick to the player profile(s) that fit his style of play, style of coaching.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago ...
I think successful coaches have player profiles by position and are disciplined in bringing in players that fit the profile(s).
High profile programs can select players that fit their system. Syracuse has been doing this for years. Lower profile programs must adapt their system to the talent that they can recruit. This is even truer today as players can more easily transfer to where they can play immediately.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago ...
High profile programs can select players that fit their system. Syracuse has been doing this for years. Lower profile programs must adapt their system to the talent that they can recruit. This is even truer today as players can more easily transfer to where they can play immediately.
True but with basketball being a global game, I believe that has changed. There is a world of talent out there if you know where to look and develop a network. Look at Davidson, for example. Pete Carril did it successfully for years at Princeton. Gonzaga did it early on until the program became so successful that they could compete for top domestic players.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago..
True but with basketball being a global game, I believe that has changed. There is a world of talent out there if you know where to look and develop a network. Look at Davidson, for example. Pete Carril did it successfully for years at Princeton. Gonzaga did it early on until the program became so successful that they could compete for top domestic players.
.... and look at the URI WRAMs.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Interesting turn of events for GW.
I thought they were trending upwards after beating South Carolina by 24 points.
Now they lose the last 5 of 6 games, including 3 straight in Hawaii.

They do seem to have a nice starting 5 with good size, experience, and guard play.
But oh well the trial and tribulations of Caputo being a 1st year head coach.
Maybe they get it together come conference play.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Interesting turn of events for GW.

They do seem to have a nice starting 5 with good size, experience, and guard play.
GW fans were talking smack about Bray having a rough start to the season on Twitter, so I'm happy they also suck.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Interesting turn of events for GW.

GW fans were talking smack about Bray having a rough start to the season on Twitter, so I'm happy they also suck.
Their loss was our gain, just took a few games.

Although starting guards Bishop 20.5 pts/ 5 assists and Adams 17 pts./4.5 rebs. aren't bad.
RS freshman wing transfer Edwards from K-State was a good addition averaging 10 pts/5.7 rebs.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Oooph. Brutal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Oooph. Brutal.
It's Otto Bid league. Juan Bid.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

You know things are bad when Fordham is ahead of VCU Davidson and The Bonnies !!!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NET / A10 Preseason Coaches Poll Comparison of NET to Preseason Poll at the completion of OOC Games
1-82. Dayton/1st
2-103. St. Louis/2nd
3-105. George Mason/5th
4-114. UMass/8th
5-118. Fordham/11th
6-121. VCU/3rd
7-131. Duquesne/15th
8-146. Richmond/7th
9-167. Davidson/6th
10-204. St. Bonaventure/10th
11-231. Loyola/4th
12-238. George Washington/12th
13-263. St. Joseph’s/13th
14-271. URI/9th
15-310. La Salle/14th

Green - exactly as predicted: Dayton, St Louis, St Bonaventure, George Washington, St Joseph's
Blue - much better than expected: UMASS, Fordham, Duquesne
Red - much worse than expected: Loyola of Chicago, URI
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Oooph. Brutal.
Wow 1 bid is right !!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Oooph. Brutal.
Wow 1 bid is right !!
Last year Davidson was a 10-seed and Richmond a 12 seed. Richmond got blown out by 28 points to PC. We were just barely with 2 teams in and the worst seedings I've ever seen us have with 2 teams in.

This year looks like 1 seed. VCU and Dayton both with 4 game win streaks, hitting their stride as A10 Conference play begins.

I'd pick Dayton to win the A10 and get the AQ. VCU possibly beats Dayton in the A10 Championship game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

7 games on tap Saturday
5 games have the home team favored
2 games the visitor
UMASS at St Bonaventure the closest contest

Will be interesting to see who exceeds expectations and who does not exceed
7C6C0EB9-4246-4C4B-B03D-CB3883016D51.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Today's conference games along with average NET rankings and lowest ticket price on vividseats.com

(275) Rhode Island at (132) Duquesne (203.5 average NET of the two teams) at 1 $26
(101) St. Louis at (260) St. Joe's (180.5) at 1 $32
(138) Richmond at (104) George Mason (121) at 2 $22
(114) UMass at (200) St. Bonaventure (157) at 2 $39
(291) La Salle at (124) VCU at (207.5) 2 $34
(82) Dayton at (141) Davidson (111.5) at 2 $37
(227) George Washington at (223) Loyola Chicago (225) at 4 (3 pm Chicago time) $6

I have to be honest, I know I got hammered for saying this before, but there's still nothing yet that makes me think adding Loyola Chicago was a no doubt, slam dunk move. Before Porter Moser brought them to the tournament and made the run in 2018 they hadn't been to a tournament since 1985, but he had already left by the time we added them. There's no proof Drew Valentine can win with his own players, he's done everything so far with Porter Moser's players who are now graduating out of the program. They're another second fiddle college program in a pro sports city, $6 for a mid-afternoon weekend conference game shows there's no real fan interest in their program even after their brief run of success.

Way too many people just viewed a brief Cinderella run that didn't appear to be sustainable as proof of what the program was and refused to look at the 30+ years before that. There's significant risk that the conference just added Fordham Midwest
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Today's conference games along with average NET rankings and lowest ticket price on vividseats.com

(275) Rhode Island at (132) Duquesne (203.5 average NET of the two teams) at 1 $26
(227) George Washington at (223) Loyola Chicago (225) at 4 (3 pm Chicago time) $6

I have to be honest, I know I got hammered for saying this before, but there's still nothing yet that makes me think adding Loyola Chicago was a no doubt, slam dunk move. Before Porter Moser brought them to the tournament and made the run in 2018 they hadn't been to a tournament since 1985, but he had already left by the time we added them. There's no proof Drew Valentine can win with his own players, he's done everything so far with Porter Moser's players who are now graduating out of the program. They're another second fiddle college program in a pro sports city, $6 for a mid-afternoon weekend conference game shows there's no real fan interest in their program even after their brief run of success.

Way too many people just viewed a brief Cinderella run that didn't appear to be sustainable as proof of what the program was and refused to look at the 30+ years before that. There's significant risk that the conference just added Fordham Midwest
02, I was always in favor of the addition of Loyola/Chicago.
Also would have been good with Belmont or Murray State.

Drew Valentine did a great job his 1st season as HC.
He was also the youngest HC at age 30 in NCAA Div.1.
Winning 25 games and the MVCT Championship with an auto-bid to the NCAAT.
Remember also Cameron Krutwig (6'9"/255) was no longer there, probably one of their greatest all-time players.
He was the only double-digit scorer from the previous season 20-21, 3rd team All-American and MVC-POY.

The A10 wanted to try and solidify its presence in the Midwest not abandoning SLU and Dayton.
Loyola/Chicago seemed to be a logical choice.

I felt LUC was rated too high this season and they would have their struggles.
They needed to add lots of new pieces so it will take time.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Today's conference games along with average NET rankings and lowest ticket price on vividseats.com

Remember also Cameron Krutwig (6'9"/255) was no longer there, probably one of their greatest all-time players.
He was the only double-digit scorer from the previous season 20-21, 3rd team All-American and MVC-POY.

The A10 wanted to try and solidify its presence in the Midwest not abandoning SLU and Dayton.

RR02,
You were right. Loyola was right since their stock was at a high level
Loyola MBB NET 248 for 12th followed by St Joe, URI and LaSalle
Loyola WBB NET 212 for 12th followed by VCU, Dayton and St Bonaventure

So would you have added Loyola if you were A10 Commissioner back when they were invited? What about now knowing the current records?

Jersey77,
You were very high on the Loyola Invite, I was good with the Invite. I recall some saying this would give the A10 an incremental NCAA Invite at the time

Knowing the situation today, would you have still added them?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

RR02,
You were right. Loyola was right since their stock was at a high level
Loyola MBB NET 248 for 12th followed by St Joe, URI and LaSalle
Loyola WBB NET 212 for 12th followed by VCU, Dayton and St Bonaventure

So would you have added Loyola if you were A10 Commissioner back when they were invited? What about now knowing the current records?

Jersey77,
You were very high on the Loyola Invite, I was good with the Invite. I recall some saying this would give the A10 an incremental NCAA Invite at the time

Knowing the situation today, would you have still added them?
Absolutely I would have.
Valentine is one of the top young coaches around.
Like I said, it adds to our foothold in the Midwest.

I knew this season would be difficult for them.

To make a judgement after just a half of a season is very premature.
Let's see what happens 5 years from now, but my thinking probably won't change.
I think Bernadette made the correct move at the right time.