12/7 | Brown | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Re: 12/7 | Brown | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

at this point, beating Army isn't a sure thing by any means. those kids won't quit and will be tough. they're putting their lives on the line in the not so distant future for dipshits like us. think they're scared to come in the RC and play us? I don't think so.

maybe the play in the Brown game is long term... meaning, URI knows they can beat but them but Archie Arch is looking out for our guys futures and called off the dogs so they're not beating their future bosses.

or maybe not. maybe we're just that bad.
Last edited by KeaneyBluBallz 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
:lol:
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
This is why the off-season is the best time to be a URI basketball fan. I get hammered every off-season for questioning the talent of recruits who are touted as the next EC and Hassan.
I agree with you. It seems like no matter who we bring in we start talking about how good they are without having seen them play. How many players on this roster right now would be part of an NCAA tourney team? We aren’t going anywhere until we have consistent shooters. For example Thomas is a nice story, but he shouldn’t be playing at this level in my opinion. Right now this is bottom of the A-10 talent. It looks like it will take another two years at least
When a fan hears and sees 4 -star recruits and schools like Seton Hall, Alabama etc, what are we supposed to think? That they suck?
Yup. If you don’t think all the incoming recruits will suck you’re called unreasonable and are overhyping them.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago The same Virginia that lost to a 16 in the first round?

I get it, but these kids have had 9 games and 2 months of practice…how hard is it? I assume everywhere he went it was a new system the first year…they certainly didn’t suck like this.
Dayton he took over a 22 win team from Brian Gregory. It still took 3 years to make the NCAA and go to the Elite 8. Indiana was a "rebuild" in the sense that Archie took on an 18 win team 1 year removed from a sweet 16. In Archie's 3rd year they were going to the tournament if not for Covid.

And yeah, the same Virginia. They won the national championship the next year though. I'm not sure if the "Tony Bennett's system doesn't work because one time they were the victim of the most historical upset in all of sports" hill is the one you want to die on. I like that I listed all of their accolades and you went for the biggest statistical outlier in NCAA history to try and make a point.

And when Tony Bennett took over Virginia? Guess how many years it took to make the NCAA's? 3.

This is suspiciously feeling again like I'm going to be the one on the wall defending against all comers who will be wrong. Don't be on the wrong side of history. This feeling sucks and these losses suck but it'll be a hell of a lot more fun when we're winning to say you got on board at our lowest.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rammgr wrote: 1 year ago Don’t know if anyone noticed but Brown had Friday and another player sitting on the bench during the National Anthem. That pisses me off as much as losing to that high and mighty Ivy League school. Lost all respect for Mike Martin.
Was Mike Martin standing for the anthem? If so, why did you lose respect for him?

URI would finish towards the bottom of the Ivy this year. Losing to Brown is not unexpected. (Remember, URI lost to Qunnipiac.)
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Brown concludes the intra-state game competition recording the best record laying claim to being the mythical RI state champ. Reversing the norm, the road team won every one of the three games played this year.

RI Intra-state Games
Brown 2-0 (@Bryant, @URI)
PC 1-0 (@URI)
Bryant 0-1 (Brown)
URI 0-2 (PC, Brown)
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Brown concludes the intra-state game competition recording the best record laying claim to being the mythical RI state champ. Reversing the norm, the road team won every one of the three games played this year.

RI Intra-state Games
Brown 2-0 (@Bryant, @URI)
PC 1-0 (@URI)
Bryant 0-1 (Brown)
URI 0-2 (PC, Brown)
The Quahog Cup winner!
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I will be pumped if we are in the tournament in year 3, no complaints from me! So I guess that is the concusses year for making the tournament, all the data points to year 3.
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

I get it, but these kids have had 9 games and 2 months of practice…how hard is it? I assume everywhere he went it was a new system the first year…they certainly didn’t suck like this.
Dayton he took over a 22 win team from Brian Gregory. It still took 3 years to make the NCAA and go to the Elite 8. Indiana was a "rebuild" in the sense that Archie took on an 18 win team 1 year removed from a sweet 16. In Archie's 3rd year they were going to the tournament if not for Covid.

And yeah, the same Virginia. They won the national championship the next year though. I'm not sure if the "Tony Bennett's system doesn't work because one time they were the victim of the most historical upset in all of sports" hill is the one you want to die on. I like that I listed all of their accolades and you went for the biggest statistical outlier in NCAA history to try and make a point.

And when Tony Bennett took over Virginia? Guess how many years it took to make the NCAA's? 3.

This is suspiciously feeling again like I'm going to be the one on the wall defending against all comers who will be wrong. Don't be on the wrong side of history. This feeling sucks and these losses suck but it'll be a hell of a lot more fun when we're winning to say you got on board at our lowest.
Ahh..... the UMBC pound puppies. I was at that game and they could not miss a shot. It happens!
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

It has definitely been a rough last few months here at URI for Archie and us Rhody fans. I do think there should continue to be patience with Archie and his staff and the young players. I still fully believe the future will be bright. Some of the pieces I think will definitely develop over time and experience and be something to build on. However, there are definitely going to be some guys Archie is probably currently questioning their fit for the program going forward.

But, I do understand the disappointment from some fans. I think that disappointment stems from the realization that the Archie hire may take a little more time than some initially anticipated. It does seem NCAA tourney relevancy will be a year later than most hoped.

I think Archies time off for the full year removed from the game did hurt in having established connections and getting a staff assembled later than a normal year. Archie has also had absolutely terrible luck to start his tenure. Bilau being hurt to start the year. Carey being hurt for most of this year. Anthony harris having academic issues and not being able to play first semester. Hutchinson being sick for three weeks right before start of season to slow done his development. Jeremy Foumena being a late addition to the team which led to the redshirt.

The on court results are definitely tough to swallow. None of us want to watch Rhody be this bad. I still think we have the right man for the job and am truly hopeful in a year and a half we can look back at this moment as the beginning of the build.

I am more in the view of Blueman in terms of the system and the way the tenure has started in terms of luck with the cards we have been dealt.

Blueman you are not alone haha.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

You aren't alone in your beliefs - I just can't bring myself to argue with emotionally worked-up fans who aren't thinking rationally right now.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

You aren't alone in your beliefs - I just can't bring myself to argue with emotionally worked-up fans who aren't thinking rationally right now.
Lol my thoughts exactly.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Deep down I’m with BlueMan. I’m just aggravated right now and it’s a lot easier to complain on a message board…isn’t that what they’re for? My wife wouldn’t listen anyway.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Deep down I’m with BlueMan. I’m just aggravated right now and it’s a lot easier to complain on a message board…isn’t that what they’re for? My wife wouldn’t listen anyway.
This sucks, it's what we're here for. I respect it. I'm in pain. My default setting is positivity even while internally dead. Gotta believe!

Me all season trying to keep us on board as the losses pile up:

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

FWIW, KenPom has our defense as around 100 in the country right now - Certainly, we can improve from there, but its our offense that's really disappointing. Sports Reference has us around 170 in DRTG, and 338th in offense.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So why is the amount of time to learn the Packline defense being mentioned so often here as a reason for the bad start? It's the offense that has the biggest issues.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When a fan hears and sees 4 -star recruits and schools like Seton Hall, Alabama etc, what are we supposed to think? That they suck?
Interest and offers are two different things.
NCAAs or Bust!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If we had Antwan Walker on this team we would be 5-4 at least.
He was the only loss of the possible holdovers. Ugggh
You may have more insight to it then I do... Did Antwan want to stay? Did he have his mind made up to leave before Archie was hired? Was he given an opportunity to stay and decided against it? Did he want to stay but was told no?

I guess at the end of the day, it is what it is. It's what the college game has turned in to, so it doesn't really matter. I'll hope for the best for Antwan while still cheering the current guys suiting up for Rhody.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

He's talking about our players who were 4 stars who were literally at Seton Hall and Alabama

Weston and Tchikou
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If we had Antwan Walker on this team we would be 5-4 at least.
He was the only loss of the possible holdovers. Ugggh
You may have more insight to it then I do... Did Antwan want to stay? Did he have his mind made up to leave before Archie was hired? Was he given an opportunity to stay and decided against it? Did he want to stay but was told no?

I guess at the end of the day, it is what it is. It's what the college game has turned in to, so it doesn't really matter. I'll hope for the best for Antwan while still cheering the current guys suiting up for Rhody.
I really have no idea. My guess is his mind was made up and he was already recruited by Grasso before Archie even came on board.
Because I believe he is someone Archie would have made an effort to retain - putting aside his skill set which we sorely need on offense, he was always a team-first guy who led on the floor and on the bench and even with last year's team of malcontents was the only consistent guy who seemed to care. I have to think Archie would have welcomed him with open arms if given the opportunity. It's too bad bc he would be a star on this team and IMO he is 1 guy that could have directly impacted W/L's.
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Hate to say it, but once Carey and Harris are here, Bassy is likely to be shelved. 18 min, no points, 2 assists last night.
Certainly not Bassy's best game. However, it is hard to get assists when you have so many players that aren't able to convert. Bassy's play did not cost us last night's game. Our bigs and wings really hurt us over the last 4 minutes. Rebounding, boxing out, passing. All terrible.
And one more point. If I were coaching this team in the final minute of a one possession game, and I had a choice between playing Bassy and Carey, I'm not so sure I'm playing Carey. His offense has improved and he defense is good, but he still commits way too many turnovers, many unforced, sort of what happened last night. A lousy way to lose. Hopefully, Harris may be a solution.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago The people who are saying NCAA in 3 years then I assume that means being on the bubble or an NIT team next year, is that your expectation? Can you squint and see the makings of a bubble team or NIT team here? That would mean this group is going to all of a sudden become a top 60ish team next year…hope your right for everyone’s sake. Unless we give up on the A10 being a multi bid league and the plan is to win the tournament. I guess you can always catch lightning in a bottle.
The weird thing about team building, as Cox's teams showed - In a way, it's better to have a bunch of "bad" players that are easily replaced, vs. a roster full of average-ish players. Ish and Freeman are already above average A-10 players. There are a couple other pieces (Tchikou, Samb, Bilau) that rate as slightly below average regulars, meaning they're probably fine as 10 to 15 minute bench players or platoon starters, as they mature. If Ant Harris or Connor Dubsky or Estevez can play, well, they'll probably do so immediately - there isn't anyone blocking their path to minutes.
Do you cover your eyes everytime Bilau does the several things he does very well??? How is he a below average A-10 player right now? He is easily above average in the A-10. Where are all these great bigs in the A-10 you're watching? His ceiling is 10-15 minutes a game on a good A-10 team?

I mean maybe he's a 10-15 minute max guy on like Saint Louis or Dayton right now but that's about it.

We may stink, but we aren't that far off from the rest of our crappy league.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
He's talking about our players who were 4 stars who were literally at Seton Hall and Alabama

Weston and Tchikou
Both seem to be having problems getting on the court and that is why they were available to URI. Also, I'm hearing that the GW staff was as disappointed in losing Freeman as URI was in losing the Mitchells.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago The people who are saying NCAA in 3 years then I assume that means being on the bubble or an NIT team next year, is that your expectation? Can you squint and see the makings of a bubble team or NIT team here? That would mean this group is going to all of a sudden become a top 60ish team next year…hope your right for everyone’s sake. Unless we give up on the A10 being a multi bid league and the plan is to win the tournament. I guess you can always catch lightning in a bottle.
The weird thing about team building, as Cox's teams showed - In a way, it's better to have a bunch of "bad" players that are easily replaced, vs. a roster full of average-ish players. Ish and Freeman are already above average A-10 players. There are a couple other pieces (Tchikou, Samb, Bilau) that rate as slightly below average regulars, meaning they're probably fine as 10 to 15 minute bench players or platoon starters, as they mature. If Ant Harris or Connor Dubsky or Estevez can play, well, they'll probably do so immediately - there isn't anyone blocking their path to minutes.
Do you cover your eyes everytime Bilau does the several things he does very well??? How is he a below average A-10 player right now? He is easily above average in the A-10. Where are all these great bigs in the A-10 you're watching? His ceiling is 10-15 minutes a game on a good A-10 team?

I mean maybe he's a 10-15 minute max guy on like Saint Louis or Dayton right now but that's about it.

You want to really join my spinzone? We're 8 plays away from being 7-2 right now.

Mental gymnastics will be the way forward until we get good. Enjoy the journey!

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm with Jersey, Blue Man and the others above who are still overall optimistic about where we are heading but damn does it suck in the moment, and I certainly don't blame anyone for venting that frustration. I 100% still believe we have the right coach for the job right now, but jury is still out on the players currently on the roster.

I'm very much in wait and see mode on all incoming players, but that has nothing to do with the staff, more just a personal mindset after years of getting my hopes up only to have guys not work out in the end. It's a defense mechanism I guess!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Think this is all something we can agree on.

No matter how bad this team is / the record we end up with, this group is so much more likable than the the last two teams.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Ok just rewatched it

Yeah we blew it

We are an exceptionally inexperienced team that has zero players that have no idea what winning is like.

The hand wringing is short sided. Yes moral victories suck, but we haven't been playing with a full roster all year and almost everyone is young.

We almost made a big step against Boston College and Brown, just didn't know how to close it out yet. Just a few things go differently like literally two or three shots we win those games and no one is really that concerned.

We just need to find a way to win the next close one, we'll gain confidence and we'll make another step.

This is a baby step season. Brown isnt the worst and we controlled the game until the end. I mean no one expected us to be a tournament team. We were projected to be a team that's slightly above .500 with a full roster which is about where we would be if we had a full roster.

It is just really tough when you only have two guards that can do anything offensively. Carey and Ant will open up the offense significantly and winning will be a lot easier.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Hate to say it, but once Carey and Harris are here, Bassy is likely to be shelved. 18 min, no points, 2 assists last night.
Certainly not Bassy's best game. However, it is hard to get assists when you have so many players that aren't able to convert. Bassy's play did not cost us last night's game. Our bigs and wings really hurt us over the last 4 minutes. Rebounding, boxing out, passing. All terrible.
And one more point. If I were coaching this team in the final minute of a one possession game, and I had a choice between playing Bassy and Carey, I'm not so sure I'm playing Carey. His offense has improved and he defense is good, but he still commits way too many turnovers, many unforced, sort of what happened last night. A lousy way to lose. Hopefully, Harris may be a solution.
I'm not assuming he will be benched over one game, but with those other guys back (no one scold me for assuming Harris will help ) it will make our roster about 6 guards deep. I also assume Archie will be narrowing down his rotation.
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago It has definitely been a rough last few months here at URI for Archie and us Rhody fans. I do think there should continue to be patience with Archie and his staff and the young players. I still fully believe the future will be bright. Some of the pieces I think will definitely develop over time and experience and be something to build on. However, there are definitely going to be some guys Archie is probably currently questioning their fit for the program going forward.

But, I do understand the disappointment from some fans. I think that disappointment stems from the realization that the Archie hire may take a little more time than some initially anticipated. It does seem NCAA tourney relevancy will be a year later than most hoped.

I think Archies time off for the full year removed from the game did hurt in having established connections and getting a staff assembled later than a normal year. Archie has also had absolutely terrible luck to start his tenure. Bilau being hurt to start the year. Carey being hurt for most of this year. Anthony harris having academic issues and not being able to play first semester. Hutchinson being sick for three weeks right before start of season to slow done his development. Jeremy Foumena being a late addition to the team which led to the redshirt.

The on court results are definitely tough to swallow. None of us want to watch Rhody be this bad. I still think we have the right man for the job and am truly hopeful in a year and a half we can look back at this moment as the beginning of the build.

I am more in the view of Blueman in terms of the system and the way the tenure has started in terms of luck with the cards we have been dealt.

Blueman you are not alone haha.
👍🏼 Well said, 7.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago The people who are saying NCAA in 3 years, I assume that means being on the bubble or an NIT team next year, is that your expectation? Can you squint and see the makings of a bubble team or NIT team here? That would mean this group is going to all of a sudden become a top 60ish team next year…hope your right for everyone’s sake. Unless we give up on the A10 being a multi bid league and the plan is to win the tournament. I guess you can always catch lightning in a bottle.
That was my expectation. A team like Dan's third year next year and contending for the tournament in year 3. Before last night I felt the rebuild was bigger than I expected but my expectations for years 2 and 3 hadn't changed. Last night has me seriously questioning that timeline now
I haven't changed my thinking from when I posted in another thread "Where will this program be...."
Next season maybe top half or middle tier A10.
3rd season hopefully 20 wins and NIT bid.
4th season NCAAT.
This is a very reasonable timeline and I think very attainable

Also if we had won by 1 instead of lost by 1 the doom and gloom wouldn’t nearly be as bad

We win that game 95 out of 100 times we blew it that happens sometime
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
Rammgr wrote: 1 year ago Don’t know if anyone noticed but Brown had Friday and another player sitting on the bench during the National Anthem. That pisses me off as much as losing to that high and mighty Ivy League school. Lost all respect for Mike Martin.
Was Mike Martin standing for the anthem? If so, why did you lose respect for him?

URI would finish towards the bottom of the Ivy this year. Losing to Brown is not unexpected. (Remember, URI lost to Qunnipiac.)
Rhody should never lose to Brown at home. Period. Martin allowed those kids to sit during the anthem. Disgraceful.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Rammgr wrote: 1 year ago

Rhody should never lose to Brown at home. Period. Martin allowed those kids to sit during the anthem. Disgraceful.
what are your thoughts on Griner?
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago

I think she’s a good player. She could come off the bench for us and give us a solid 5-10 minutes a game. :lol:
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would hope she stands and salutes the flag now. If not, send her back to the gulag.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

He turns 23 this year, so maybe I'm just pessimistic that there is a ton of development left there. His PER is 10.5. I think he'll get better as he gets comfortable in his role, but he strikes me as more of a guy that plays 25 MPG and busts his ass, and that is always going to struggle with turnovers and fouls. Certainly a useful player, but it wouldn't surprise me if Archie recruits someone better.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago I'll make another major understatement. Massive roster changes needed next season. Too many non D1 players on this team. We know Archie can coach but he's got probably the least talent he's ever had right now and hes got to be awfully frustrated along with all of us. The onus will be on him to upgrade this roster sooner rather than later.
Agreed, and I said the exact same. Now to be fair, he also envisioned his guard position being a bit better with Ant Harris and Carey than it is otherwise. Missing those two guys simultaneously is killing us.

Then you have Weston taking awhile to get going. Him either finding it or not will be key. And a guy like Lou getting sick for a couple months set back another potential piece. Sounds like I’m making excuses for Archie, but it’s also a bunch of uncontrollables on some level

Beyond that, he’s always acknowledged the front court had the biggest question mark. Barely any D1 experience from the collective group. They’ve struggled big time in many ways, but I’d say we can at least see progress and potential with that unit
Weston seems uninterested. Reminds me of Jordan Hare.
u never know. We r all different. Same thing was said about Tyrese Martin
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

He turns 23 this year, so maybe I'm just pessimistic that there is a ton of development left there. His PER is 10.5. I think he'll get better as he gets comfortable in his role, but he strikes me as more of a guy that plays 25 MPG and busts his ass, and that is always going to struggle with turnovers and fouls. Certainly a useful player, but it wouldn't surprise me if Archie recruits someone better.
SG, I agree pretty much with your player evaluations. I may differ as to rating Freeman as above average. At the moment, I'd rate him about average. His best offense is in transition. He is a little like Fats. He has a lot of work to do to be a point guard that makes others better, and he is too small and slight to be a good 2 guard. I think last year he snuck up on a lot of teams. Now I think defenses know how to stop him. A year or two from now, some of these guys may develop into very good players. But it tough having a team full of projects. But this is exactly what Archie asked for when he passed on more experienced transfers. We will be good when we are good.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

. Understatement. More than disgraceful ! Those two probably would have have their feelings hurt if they lost.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

You mean Martin allowed those adults to make their own choice regarding them anthem? Actually, he should be commended for allowing these student-athletes to make real-world decisions about how they represent themselves and how they're viewed by others. Isn't that what college is for? Go out into the world, have some independence.

You have every right to not like any person for not standing for the anthem...just like they have every right (as adults) to not stand. Goes both ways. (For the record, I'm not a fan of people not standing for the anthem. But hey, that's their decision.)

Mike Martin has nothing to do with any of this.

Why should URI never lose to Brown? Should PC never lose to URI? Play the game and the better team wins.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You mean Martin allowed those adults to make their own choice regarding them anthem? Actually, he should be commended for allowing these student-athletes to make real-world decisions about how they represent themselves and how they're viewed by others. Isn't that what college is for? Go out into the world, have some independence.

You have every right to not like any person for not standing for the anthem...just like they have every right (as adults) to not stand. Goes both ways. (For the record, I'm not a fan of people not standing for the anthem. But hey, that's their decision.)

Why should URI never lose to Brown? Should PC never lose to URI? Play the game and the better team wins.
So why didn't they stand? Do they hate this country that much in their Ivy League school they shite on the country that gives them the very opportunity they have? Sure they have the right, but they haven't been taught anything about this country which scares me with the youth today. I blame the coach. He should have taught these kids about this country that is only 200+ years old. And then taught them about the countries their families came from.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

So why didn't they stand? Do they hate this country that much in their Ivy League school they shite on the country that gives them the very opportunity they have? Sure they have the right, but they haven't been taught anything about this country which scares me with the youth today. I blame the coach. He should have taught these kids about this country that is only 200+ years old. And then taught them about the countries their families came from.
wait, wait.. so it's a college basketball coaches job to teach these young men about America?

not their parents or educators over the previous 10-15 years before they got to a liberal school like Brown??

brah....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

wait, wait.. so it's a college basketball coaches job to teach these young men about America?

not their parents or educators over the previous 10-15 years before they got to a liberal school like Brown??

brah....
Well it's obvious their parents and educators failed, so yeah, the coach is next in line.
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Exactly. U have the right and it’s the men and women that fought for this country that gives u the right. Respect the country and that means the the flag and the anthem. Stay in the locker room if u don’t like it.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I usually think the sign of a good coach is being able to adapt, if the game has changed why stick with complicated system? There other ways to win than playing the packline.
Because it works? Tony Bennett's currently undefeated team with a national championship, 2 final fours, 3 elite 8s, 4 sweet 16's, 4 #1 seeds, 7 top 5 seeds, and 8 NCAA appearances in 12 years would probably say it does.

You stick with the complicated system because you have a long term vision that when you have a young team that grows into an old team who understands it, you can plug 1 or 2 guys into the system as recruits every year and continue to be good.

If Archie were to come out and say "well we're going to play man this year because it's too hard for these guys so we can see some wins" I would fire him on the spot. Because that's not him. He got to the top of college basketball by trusting that system and using it to his advantage. That system takes 1-2 years to implement. This is the implementation. It sucks to go through but it'll be worth it.
Jay, forgive the dumb question, but can you explain to this basketball dummy exactly what a "packline" defense is?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I usually think the sign of a good coach is being able to adapt, if the game has changed why stick with complicated system? There other ways to win than playing the packline.
Because it works? Tony Bennett's currently undefeated team with a national championship, 2 final fours, 3 elite 8s, 4 sweet 16's, 4 #1 seeds, 7 top 5 seeds, and 8 NCAA appearances in 12 years would probably say it does.

You stick with the complicated system because you have a long term vision that when you have a young team that grows into an old team who understands it, you can plug 1 or 2 guys into the system as recruits every year and continue to be good.

If Archie were to come out and say "well we're going to play man this year because it's too hard for these guys so we can see some wins" I would fire him on the spot. Because that's not him. He got to the top of college basketball by trusting that system and using it to his advantage. That system takes 1-2 years to implement. This is the implementation. It sucks to go through but it'll be worth it.
Jay, forgive the dumb question, but can you explain to this basketball dummy exactly what a "packline" defense is?
This is a decent explainer

https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/pack-line-defense/
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Seems similar to the matchup zone

https://www.streakingthelawn.com/platfo ... sville-fbi
It is, and its much more complicated for players on the interior. If you watch the post players navigating switches and help, you can see them losing their men almost every possession. Its going to take them a while to get the right feel for it all.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Seems similar to the matchup zone

https://www.streakingthelawn.com/platfo ... sville-fbi
It is, and its much more complicated for players on the interior. If you watch the post players navigating switches and help, you can see them losing their men almost every possession. Its going to take them a while to get the right feel for it all.
I think this is what cost Tchikou some of his playing time, although Bilau is struggling with it as well. Patience.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I trust Arch with his pack line defense , he will get players in here who can execute that
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody22 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody22 wrote: 1 year ago

No they won’t.
I’d rather have faith that a proven head coach that has landed and developed some absolute studs in his career will do the same for us and get us back to where we should be over being negative 24/7 like 15. I’m not gonna overreact and think every recruit is gonna suck because we have had a bad start in year one. Archie is going to have recruiting misses like every head coach but I truly believe Archie and this staff will land the players we need to get this program back on top of the A10.

My question for you is, what about Connors game leads you to believe he won't be a good player? I’ve explained multiple times why I like Connors game. Why do you two think he won't make an impact??

I’m not a basketball expert nor do I follow recruiting in-depth. I read the info posted in this forum and some of the articles attached, so take that for what it’s worth. The reason that comes to mind right now is that I recall somebody posting that he had only played a few minutes at his new school. That doesn’t sound promising. Then, the years of overhyping all players who choose URI. I have to see it to believe it. Long, Silverio, Tres, Hammond, Bertrand and so many others. Someone even said Malik for Tyrese was an upgrade…
None of us are experts. The experts should be our staff and head coach. I don't know if he will be a star, but I think he'll make an impact because we can't hit a thing this season. Putnam is one of the best programs in the country. He is playing with and against top competition.

I don't know how you can watch these clips and not see that Connor has a beautiful shot. Similar to Chance Stephens last year. Some guys are snipers.

Regarding your comment about overhyping players. I really don't get why some of you get annoyed that people get excited when we land a recruit. I and others having a positive outlook on recruits doesn't mean we think they will all be the next Steph Curry. I know Connor has weaknesses. I know Archie will have recruiting misses.. I also know that Archie and this staff have a track record of landing legitimate talent. Which is why I get so confused when people bring up Cox. This head coach and this staff are a big upgrade from Cox, so we should expect some of these recruits to make an impact.

I thought this first class would be the hardest because Archie took a year off and was thrown into a full rebuild with many players transferring. Don't you have a little faith that Archie and this highly experienced staff will bring in some better talent each season? That's why I trust that Cam and Connor are upgrades. Especially Connor.

We are ranked 340th in 3pt shooting %, so I think it's crazy to think Connor won't help.

We shall see next year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING