12/4 | Providence College | 5:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Re: 12/4 | Providence College | 5:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by PCFriars »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Bynum is a elite lock down defender
I'm not sure if this was said tongue in cheek or not, but this is very false. Bynum is not a good defender and his perimeter defense is a major concern for the team this season.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

2 out of the last 12!
FPC
This has got to fucking stop.
I can’t take any more.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago
I'm not sure if this was said tongue in cheek or not, but this is very false. Bynum is not a good defender and his perimeter defense is a major concern for the team this season.
Carter is a defender.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

We need to improve our defense especially in the paint. Our forwards did a good job looking for each other and Thomas made some nice passes as usual. The offense has improved a little since the start of the season. I expect the defense to stiffen up a little as the season progresses.

It annoyed me that we had empty seats. I'm not going to blame casual fans who choose not to purchase highly priced tickets when we are clearly not a good team right now.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

What's the deal with Alex Tchikou? When will he get going? I mean... 6'11" transfer from Alabama...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You would know better than me from watching him all the time but he’s the type of point guard I like to have runs the offense can make key 3 point shots and he’s quick
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Tough game, but there was great alumn representation. Dawan, Hellenga, Jimmy Baron, Tavoris Bell, Silk and Will Martell and probably some I missed. Also heard Jimmy Butler was in the house with another player.
Lowry and Butler were there with Heat assistant and long time NBA vet Anthony Carter, who is Devin Carter from PC's father.
Yes very good call , I had no idea Devin was Anthony’s son ??
To be honest I didn't either until today. Felt like his dad was in the NBA forever. Ultimate back up PG for Miami and Denver.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago What's the deal with Alex Tchikou? When will he get going? I mean... 6'11" transfer from Alabama...
Yeah he’s seem to not be playing well since the first 2 games

Samb and Bilat are ahead of him right now for sure
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago We need to improve our defense especially in the paint. Our forwards did a good job looking for each other and Thomas made some nice passes as usual. The offense has improved a little since the start of the season. I expect the defense to stiffen up a little as the season progresses.

It annoyed me that we had empty seats. I'm not going to blame casual fans who choose not to purchase highly priced tickets when we are clearly not a good team right now.
Why are you annoyed? It's not like pc fans came down and bought them all up. They stayed home as well.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Lowry and Butler were there with Heat assistant and long time NBA vet Anthony Carter, who is Devin Carter from PC's father.
Yes very good call , I had no idea Devin was Anthony’s son ??
To be honest I didn't either until today. Felt like his dad was in the NBA forever. Ultimate back up PG for Miami and Denver.
Yup I remember him , pretty cool Jimmy and Lowry would support them today
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago What's the deal with Alex Tchikou? When will he get going? I mean... 6'11" transfer from Alabama...

Samb just needs to stay out of foul trouble. He was good today.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Haven’t read anything, I’ll just say this.

We got dominated by a La Salle frontcourt.
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago We need to improve our defense especially in the paint. Our forwards did a good job looking for each other and Thomas made some nice passes as usual. The offense has improved a little since the start of the season. I expect the defense to stiffen up a little as the season progresses.

Why are you annoyed? It's not like pc fans came down and bought them all up. They stayed home as well.
I'm annoyed they are not trying harder to build the URI fan base. I had some PC fans behind me in 205 they did not all stay home.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah offensively samb and Bilau both looked good, they just really need to get stronger. They were bullied on the boards and defensively tonight
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Might not be as packed a house as we want. The weather down here is nasty right now.
Supposed to end around 5 or so.
hope so, walking in will be fun tho
I just got home.My pants are STILL wet. :lol:
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah offensively samb and Bilau both looked good, they just really need to get stronger. They were bullied on the boards and defensively tonight
agreed
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Some unsolicited friendly advice…You may want to stay away or duck and cover until we digest this loss. Come back in January.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Was there a tribute for Don Kaull before the game?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

For some reason he’s had a setback and I have no idea why. He looked very athletic during the scrimmage and the first few games. Has to be a physical injury of sorts.
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Nah, upstairs was packed with Friartown. Well behaved actually not rubbing it in at all.
Last edited by hrstrat57 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Men vs boys.. their guards constantly blew by our guards into the paint and their bigs beat ours up on the offensive boards.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nah, upstairs was packed with Friartown
Tickets got below face value. Easy for Friar fans to buy them up. Lots available.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 year ago Was there a tribute for Don Kaull before the game?
Yes
Moment of silence for him and jimmy wright
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Some unsolicited friendly advice…You may want to stay away or duck and cover until we digest this loss. Come back in January.
Idk why I should have to do that when I cause no trouble here. Are people just going to be rude to me for no apparent reason?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 year ago Was there a tribute for Don Kaull before the game?
Yes
Moment of silence for him and jimmy wright
Also a very nice tribute to Don on the espn broadcast

Tim Welsh had great things to say about Don they were friends
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Idk why I should have to do that when I cause no trouble here. Are people just going to be rude to me for no apparent reason?
Some, Not all.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Supposed to end around 5 or so.
hope so, walking in will be fun tho
I just got home.My pants are STILL wet. :lol:
I legitimately might have to put my shoes in the trash.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago We're playing olé defense.
I think you are being kind. We played defense as,if we were playing a pre season scrimmage. Does anyone remember any hard fouls by us? Did we take any charges? Did we stop their offensive rebounding? How can we go through an entire game with a bigger, and stronger opponent and not have a single player on our side foul out?

Really disappointed with our defensive intensity!!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Did I say you cause trouble? It was a joking, friendly piece of advice. Do as thou wilt.

As to your question…have you been here before? For some here, the logo above your screen name is apparent reason enough tonight. lol:

Good luck.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The row in front of me in section 211 was entirely PC students.
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Great atmosphere at the Ryan Center. I wish we could try a zone defense at times. It couldn’t hurt.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago We're playing olé defense.
I think you are being kind. We played defense as,if we were playing a pre season scrimmage. Does anyone remember any hard fouls by us? Did we take any charges? Did we stop their offensive rebounding? How can we go through an entire game with a bigger, and stronger opponent and not have a single player on our side foul out?

Really disappointed with our defensive intensity!!
There were definitely a couple of plays in the last five minutes where the Friars knew they weren’t playing a team of wimps.
They made way more shots than we did…
For the 10th time in the last 12 years
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Dan Yorke can fuck right off
Someone else noticed!
He has absolutely no feel for the moment. Dragging out a player's name for 14 seconds for making a put back when we're down 15. That's really adding to the game experience you Jersey Jabroni.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Yeah offensively Samb and Bilau both looked good, they just really need to get stronger. They were bullied on the boards and defensively tonight
Yes, their offense was good. But their defense was even more offensive. PC went through them all night long like shit through a goose. It was like Akeem Olajawon going up against Shawn Bradley. They literally couldn't stop anyone around the rim - even guards.

Our strength and nutrition coaches need to spend the next year in the gym and the kitchen with them so they can put on 35 pounds each.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Thought that was one of the weakest Ryan Center’s for a PC game in many many years.

Like someone posted a week ago, we didn’t really have a shot this year, and probably next year as well.

Baby steps.
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

How bad was our interior defense?

From Bill Koch's story:

The Friars closed ahead 17-2 off turnovers, 22-6 on second chances, 20-9 on the fast break and 27-13 off the bench. Only a pair of their 28 2-point field goals came outside the paint.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago How bad was our interior defense?

From Bill Koch's story:

The Friars closed ahead 17-2 off turnovers, 22-6 on second chances, 20-9 on the fast break and 27-13 off the bench. Only a pair of their 28 2-point field goals came outside the paint.
Like I posted earlier.

A La Salle frontcourt crushed us.

Brutal.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RIrugger01 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
I've knocked a lot of game presentation items in the past, so let me give a shout out when I think it's due. Having a former player when you have one in the building leading the Rhody chant is EXACTLY the type of thing we should be doing in our game presentation. It takes things that other teams do (Seattle person raising the 12th man flag before a Seahawks game to get the crowd pumped up for instance), puts our spin on it, and makes it ours instead of just a copy of what someone else does.

That approach should be taken throughout our game presentation so going to one of our games is unique. Like why copy Mr. Brightside as a singalong, find out what the student section would be interested in that's not done by another team already. Why copy the train horn the Bruins and Patriots use when they score when our football team scores, use the fog horn form Pt. Judith or Beavertail? It goes on and on. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, but make the wheel our own
Do they still have people dressed up in Revolutionary War uniforms firing a cannon at football games?
Yes
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Each time I look, more and more seats open up. Not even close to a sellout. I don't think I ever remember in my almost 50 years as a fan that URI-PC wasn't sold out.
Exactly. I think the only game I can remember is the 2003 game where it was practically a blizzard. My roommate and I walked over from Hopkins -- it might have been still snowing even before tipoff if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately, I will not be making the game tonight. I've been having health issues for the last few months and was in the hospital Thursday night; still waiting for a surgical date and to find out actually what is going on. If I tried to go it would be kinda too overwhelming for walking/crowds/standing. I have a ton of FOMO for not going but I'll be watching from my cozy couch looking at my tree at least.

Have fun everyone! :)
Get better soon!
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As previously posted Bynum will be 24 in March and he was playing against two sophmores. Moore, Coswell and Locke all 23 years old. Our bigs need to physically get stronger and really cannot compete defensively against much older and stronger opponents like Moore and Coswell.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I agree this years PC team has 4 players at 23 years old and I believe last years PC team had 4 if not more players that were 23 years old
Crazy!!!!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Have you seen a worst front court than this one since Ryan opened?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Someone else noticed!
Uh oh what did he say this time ?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
Someone else noticed!
He has absolutely no feel for the moment. Dragging out a player's name for 14 seconds for making a put back when we're down 15. That's really adding to the game experience you Jersey Jabroni.
“Peeeeeeeeete RIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii” - Jersey Jabroni

Sorry I couldn’t help myself 😂
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

“We weren’t physical enough in this game,” Miller said. “We weren’t tough enough in this game. To give up 88 points at home is really, really disappointing.”
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Ant Harris was at the game according to RhodyVault
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I’m disappointed. I didn’t expect to win. But I expected it to be more competitive than it was.

That said, if you’d have told me we’d score 74 points shooting 48/33/91, going -2 in turnovers, I’d have assumed we won.

We gave up 88 points to a less than gifted PC team.

They just made winning plays that we did not. We’d get stops and missed baskets only to let the offensive rebound go to a black jersey and hit a second chance look.

This was a game that showed how far we have to go to get our culture back. PC is a team that knows winning. We have to learn. Thanks Dave Cox!

Bilau was an obvious bright spot. Holy crap if he’s a 3 point shooter he’ll be a lottery pick in 2 years.

This was a game Bassy showed he’s probably not meant to be playing major minutes at this level. Idk if Arch was blowing smoke or if this kid is a practice all American, but man he’s tough to watch offensively if he’s doing anything but passing. He made some sick passes and developed some plays only a handful of other guys could - but he was a big net negative tonight. There was a stretch where he either missed an open shot, dribbled the ball off his foot, and missed a defensive assignment to the tune of a -15.

Tonight sucked. We’ve got a long rebuild ahead.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I mostly agree with the post game comments here but want to make this point that I think is getting lost and should be noted

If you slice out the last 4 mins of the half and present the game with the score adjusted then it’s a last possession game

For 36 minutes out of 40 we played them evenly

I know it doesn’t seem like that when we were looking at a 12-16 point deficit all 2nd half but that’s what the score would show if the 4 mins were sliced out and erased from our memory and the game was shown to us

Obviously we were manhandled inside - but I still liked our grit for 36 mins

brighter days ahead by end of year
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago I mostly agree with the post game comments here but want to make this point that I think is getting lost and should be noted

If you slice out the last 4 mins of the half and present the game with the score adjusted then it’s a last possession game

For 36 minutes out of 40 we played them evenly

I know it doesn’t seem like that when we were looking at a 12-16 point deficit all 2nd half but that’s what the score would show if the 4 mins were sliced out and erased from our memory and the game was shown to us

Obviously we were manhandled inside - but I still liked our grit for 36 mins

brighter days ahead by end of year
I think it was probably the best we've looked offensively all year

We've still come a long way in a short time
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Have you seen a worst front court than this one since Ryan opened?
Yes? Lol have three freshman or sophomores who have touch around the rim and will get stronger. Or bigs (aside hassan) have never produced in tier first year, their D will improve.

I get the negativity but can see the trajectory pretty clearly