2022-23 Men's Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: 2022-23 Men's Games of Interest

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Brutal.

Not ready for prime time league this year.
... and not for the foreseeable future. Losing mid-major programs will be raided for any talent that they develop from recruiting promising freshmen and rehabilitated problematic transfers. Why would they stay with a losing program?

Fans were sold on transfers with lots of talent but a lot of problems - Ant Harris, Fourmena, Weston and even Freeman who Archie had to sit.. On talent alone, they would have made URI a winning program. We see now why they were available to Archie. For months the band leaders of this Board have been raving how great these guys would make URI. They will be gone with the wind once they get their lives together.

Tammi gets it.
NCAAs or Bust!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago UCONN looks fucking good
As much as I hate to admit it, yes, they do. And they have I think the 4th rated recruiting class coming in next year. Hopefully they pound PC a couple times this season.
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago UCONN looks fucking good
As much as I hate to admit it, yes, they do. And they have I think the 4th rated recruiting class coming in next year. Hopefully they pound PC a couple times this season.
Clingan is insane. UConn didn't have a great game from most of their roster - 31 points from their starters. 40 from the bench. This is their deepest team with a lot of guys who can be slotted in for specific roles.

Despite your potential all american forward giving you 4 points and 4 fouls on 20% shooting, you won by 18. WIll be a fun watch all season.

Would've loved to see them beat the brakes off of PC at the AMP, but we play at home that night.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago

... and not for the foreseeable future. Losing mid-major programs will be raided for any talent that they develop from recruiting promising freshmen and rehabilitated problematic transfers. Why would they stay with a losing program?

Fans were sold on transfers with lots of talent but a lot of problems - Ant Harris, Fourmena, Weston and even Freeman who Archie had to sit.. On talent alone, they would have made URI a winning program. We see now why they were available to Archie. For months the band leaders of this Board have been raving how great these guys would make URI. They will be gone with the wind once they get their lives together.

Tammi gets it.
St Louis isn't a losing program

Foumena isn't a transfer.

And to say these kids don't have their lives together is ridiculous.

They are division 1 athletes attending college on a scholarship.

I almost would prefer DC Rams is on this board instead of you.

And yea! Let's have Tammi coach the women's AND men's team like you suggested! That'll work!

Can we please just ban this idiot, provides nothing of value here.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Tammi gets it.
St Louis isn't a losing program

Foumena isn't a transfer.

And to say these kids don't have their lives together is ridiculous.

They are division 1 athletes attending college on a scholarship.

I almost would prefer DC Rams is on this board instead of you.

And yea! Let's have Tammi coach the women's AND men's team like you suggested! That'll work!

Can we please just ban this idiot, provides nothing of value here.
Entertainment value!

Plus he highlights and has a lot of dumb thoughts that allow us to explain the "101" version to others who weren't aware.

Harris has academic issues, (still not sure why vault is saying anything about him, Archie hasn't mentioned anything). That's always a risk worth taking for his talent.
Foumena is getting F'd by the NCAA and immigration issues.
Weston is battling an injury and shaking off rust after not playing for a year.
Freeman looks to be a poster child for Archie's coaching methods as he became a different player post-benching.

Again, we do have enough talent to beat Quinnipiac and Texas State. If we just rolled the balls out and let them play street ball we would've beaten both those teams. I got to watch that for a decade with Jim Baron.

However, if you want to win in the A10 and in the future, you need to have a capable system deployed with players who know how to play in it. So you trade the meaningless OOC wins this year to get your players to learn how the system works in a live fire environment.

I'd rather lose games now to figure out who can play and who can learn the system. Losses and learning now will lead to wins. No rebuild is an overnight project. It still takes a year or two to put your system in place - even if it's your guys.

Archie took a 22 win team to 20 wins at Dayton.
Oates took an 18 win team to 16 wins at Bama.
Hurley took a sub .500 team to a sub .500 record at UConn.

The overreactions of people 8 games into a full blown rebuild are wild and hilarious. This season isn't about an NCAA run. It's about taking a once proud program's ashes and trying to build something. There's no foundation here anymore. It takes years to build culture. It takes years to destroy it. We've gone through both cycles.

Archie wants to be good for a long time. That's why he brought in people with 3 years of eligibility. Not one year rentals.

His playing time system right now is predicated on who's doing what during the week in practice. He's doing that to build a culture of accountability and work leading up to the games. Because that's how you build a good program.

Enjoy the ride.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Tammi gets it.
Why did players stay with Dan after he won 8 games? Why did players come to play for Dan after he won 8 games? How about in his second year? He won 14 games. He went 5-11 in the A10. Why did we keep our key players? Why did players come to play for Dan?

Fans were sold on Archie rebuilding our culture. Fans were sold on Archie bringing in young talent and developing our players. That's why most of us didn't have high expectations for this year. Most of us repeatedly said that this team would have plenty of growing pains. If some of our players don't get better as the year progresses, they may be recruited over. Archie is not perfect. He'll have recruiting misses... I still have faith in many of these guys because I"ve seen flashes of what they could be.

Your incredible insight last game that Bray should stop shooting when he was literally the only player that could score reminds me that you truly have no idea what you're talking about.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Tammi gets it.
Why did players stay with Dan after he won 8 games? Why did players come to play for Dan after he won 8 games? How about in his second year? He won 14 games. He went 5-11 in the A10. Why did we keep our key players? Why did players come to play for Dan?

Fans were sold on Archie rebuilding our culture. Fans were sold on Archie bringing in young talent and developing our players. That's why most of us didn't have high expectations for this year. Most of us repeatedly said that this team would have plenty of growing pains. If some of our players don't get better as the year progresses, they may be recruited over. Archie is not perfect. He'll have recruiting misses... I still have faith in many of these guys because I"ve seen flashes of what they could be.

Your incredible insight last game that Bray should stop shooting when he was literally the only player that could score reminds me that you truly have no idea what you're talking about.
Well said, Stevey.

Interesting how he overlooks that Tammi has been here for multiple years with that comment at the end. It’s not apples for apples yet when considering time as HC at Rhody.

I will admit that He’s very good at slipping in insults and slights into his posts of Thorr, the M’sbb program, the program’s infrastructure.

I will now wait for him to come back to slight Arch or Thorr’s hiring practices as response to my comment above. I wonder if he is disciplined enough to refrain? :lol:
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

With players able to transfer without any eligibility penalty, the recruitment and retention game has changed. Will URI be a net beneficiary of the new order by upgrading with transfers or a loser in this free market of its best talent? You can't compare past eras, such as the DH years, with today. It will be rare when any URI basketball player stays when it is in his best interest and so easy to leave. Building for the future is a noble concept that will not work. The future is today.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago With players able to transfer without any eligibility penalty, the recruitment and retention game has changed. Will URI be a net beneficiary of the new order by upgrading with transfers or a loser in this free market of its best talent? You can't compare past eras, such as the DH years, with today. It will be rare when any URI basketball player stays when it is in his best interest and so easy to leave. Building for the future is a noble concept that will not work. The future is today.
I am in a playful mood today.

So, what is your answer to your question mid paragraph…will Rhody be a “net beneficiary” (versus the obvious opposite word winner - seems you can’t say URI and winner in the same sentence but you can say loser) or a “loser”in your opinion?

Please clarify your use of the word “rare” above.

Regarding my comment as to your choice of the word “winner” as opposed to “net beneficiary”, in honor of comedian Sam Kennison…SAY IT! SAY IT! :lol:
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago With players able to transfer without any eligibility penalty, the recruitment and retention game has changed. Will URI be a net beneficiary of the new order by upgrading with transfers or a loser in this free market of its best talent? You can't compare past eras, such as the DH years, with today. It will be rare when any URI basketball player stays when it is in his best interest and so easy to leave. Building for the future is a noble concept that will not work. The future is today.
Dabbling in one player market does not prohibit you from dabbling in the other player market. This past off-season, Archie was happy to take on "traditional" high school recruits, as well as transfers with varying degrees of eligibility left, and he also retained fifth year senior Malik Martin. I don't think this approach is going to vary in future years.

Also, as much hay as there is made about transfers, the best way to get an All-Conference quality player remains to recruit them as a freshman. One of the six members of the All-A10 First Team from 2022-23 was a transfer - Jalen Adaway - and he went up, from the MAC to the A-10. The second team had Foster Loyer, and the other five were on their original team. (Osun Osunniyi transferred after, but he also gave Bonaventure four years and graduated, too.) *Some* happy players with sufficient minutes will end up transferring, but *most* still stay with the team and coaching staff that recruited them.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SG,

To play 72’s Advocate in response to your well thought out and objective post above….

Thorr exemplified his lack of hiring shortcomings by not extending Dave Cox. Thorr, therefore, can’t judge coaching talent and your coach can’t keep players like Tammi can. :lol: :lol:

Apologies for derailing an excellent thread. My play time is over for today. Back to thoughtful Rhody bb and cbb talk.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Dan Hurley's UConn team takes him to his highest poll ranking ever with the release of today's MBB polls - #8 in the AP poll and #6 in the Coaches poll. Creighton is right along the Huskies as the only BE teams in the top 25. A-10 teams got nary a sniff.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tulane is tied 17 to 17 vs UL Monroe with 7:46 left in the first half. The game is on ESPN+
Milwaukee vs Southeast Missouri State at 8 on ESPN+
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Stony Brook vs St. Joseph's (NY-Long Island) at 6:30
UMass at South Florida at 7 on ESPN+
Duquesne vs UC Santa Barbara at 7 on ESPN+
Davidson vs Charlotte at 7 on ESPN+
Brown at Central Connecticut at 7
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

UMass up 40-25 halftime at South Florida.
S. Florida has recently beat St. Joe's.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Ugh. Davidson loses to Charlotte by 2
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Charlotte misses two free throws and Davidson unable to get the rebound resulting in a mad scramble that Charlotte gets and throws in a three pointer at the buzzer for the win.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

#16 Illinois beat Syracuse by 29, 73-44.
GO RAMS
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago #16 Illinois beat Syracuse by 29, 73-44.
Excuse me for reveling in someone else's misery, but the Boeheim/Syracuse fall from grace is good karma.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NHRamFan wrote: 1 year ago
Excuse me for reveling in someone else's misery, but the Boeheim/Syracuse fall from grace is good karma.
At age 78 and after 47 years at Syracuse, Boeheim should just fade into the sunset.
Especially after last year's losing record and the start to this season.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Packed slate tonight

La Salle vs Temple at The Palestra at 6 on ESPN+
Army vs US Merchant Marine Academy at 6 on ESPN+
UMass Lowell vs Merrimack at 6 on ESPN+
Kansas State at Butler at 6:30 on FS1
St. Bonaventure vs Middle Tennessee at 7 on ESPN+
Richmond at Toledo at 7 on ESPN+
George Mason vs Hofstra at 7 on ESPN+
Dayton vs Western Michigan at 7 on ESPN+
VCU vs Vanderbilt at 7 on CBS Sports Network
Fordham vs Maine at 7:30 on ESPN+
Providence at TCU at 8 on ESPN+
St. Joe's vs Penn at The Palestra at 8:30 on ESPN+
Loyola Chicago vs Central Arkansas at 9 on ESPN+
George Washington vs South Carolina at 9 on CBS Sports Network
Boston College at Nebraska at 9:15 on ESPNU
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well that really takes quite a bit of the luster off of Bryant's win the other day
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
At age 78 and after 47 years at Syracuse, Boeheim should just fade into the sunset.
They did make a few nice (and surprising) runs in the tournament over the past 5 years or so, but since joining the ACC 10 years ago, they are .500 in conference. Not very good considering Syracuse is supposedly a "basketball" school.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Their and the others move($$$) to the ACC, from the BE is something the “basketball” coaches probably hated, no? I think Jim spoke out against the move.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 year ago

They did make a few nice (and surprising) runs in the tournament over the past 5 years or so, but since joining the ACC 10 years ago, they are .500 in conference. Not very good considering Syracuse is supposedly a "basketball" school.
Well that's what happens when they're in a conference where all the schools have similar resources and they couldn't beat up on programs that were also rans in the old Big East like Providence, St John's, and so on
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Pee Cee at TCU at 8 on ESPN+

Lets hope that get a colossal BEAT DOWN and come back tired and battered.

FTF
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Pee Cee at TCU at 8 on ESPN+

FTF
I'd prefer a tough, grinding, close OT game rather than a blowout.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

4 or 5 overtimes and a loss would be nice.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Maybe a few ejections and game suspensions would help as well?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Maybe a few ejections and game suspensions would help as well?
When did Grasso start coaching them?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree and I hope this is his last year
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Richmond is getting spanked by the U of Toledo (or is it the Toledo Mud Hens?) 82-63 with just over 3 minutes left. Yikes!

Also, LaSalle bowed to Temple 67-51.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Richmond loses to Clinger (of MASH fame) and U of Toledo 90-67. Clinger wore a snappy blouse and skirt combination while sitting on the Toledo bench as honorary mascot. :lol:
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Bona beats Middle Tennessee 71-64. This completes Bona’s sweep of Tennessee by beating Upper Tenn State, Lower Tenn State and Middle Tenn State on successive days.

VCU pulls it out against Vandy. But due to strict laws down south, VCU cancels the balance of the season as the team will be doing 3-5 for indecent exposure.

Oh yea…the final score was 70-65.

Dayton takes Western Michigan to the woodshed 67-47. WMU files a formal complaint with the A10 and the NCAA as several WMU players suffered serious splinters and could miss multiple games.

George Mason survives in OT 80-77 in a battle against Hofstra. Unfortunately, Hofstra funeral services are scheduled for Saturday.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Bona beats Middle Tennessee 71-64. This completes Bona’s sweep of Tennessee by beating Upper Tenn State, Lower Tenn State and Middle Tenn State on successive days.

VCU pulls it out against Vandy. But due to strict laws down south, VCU cancels the balance of the season as the team will be doing 3-5 for indecent exposure.

Oh yea…the final score was 70-65.

Dayton takes Western Michigan to the woodshed 67-47. WMU files a formal complaint with the A10 and the NCAA as several WMU players suffered serious splinters and could miss multiple games.
First game back for Ace as he scores 28 points for the VCU win.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Excellent come back game for Ace. Good for VCU, Jersey. The A10 needs all the help it can get this year.

And good bounce back win for Dayton. Holmes led the way with 24. Dayton needs him to step up big until they get Elvis and Smith back.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Excellent come back game for Ace. Good for VCU, Jersey. The A10 needs all the help it can get this year.

And good bounce back win for Dayton. Holmes led the way with 24. Dayton needs him to step up big until they get Elvis and Smith back.
Yes JD but won't be easy for Dayton.

GW spanking South Cariolina 40-20 at the half.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Friars lose by 13 at TCU. Second half wasn't that close.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Pee Cee at TCU at 8 on ESPN+

FTF
I'd prefer a tough, grinding, close OT game rather than a blowout.
Oh well Blue Man a 75-62 win for TCU over PC.
They were in control the whole game.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Fordham beats Maine at home 72-67. Maine files a complaint with the NCAA and the A10 saying they arrived late at Fordham and missed an important pre-game shoot around due their bus driver becoming confused by stopping at the University of RI then VCU before heading to NY. The complaint states having three schools in the same conference using the same mascot is too confusing and caused an unfair advantage in favor of Fordham.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Richmond loses to Clinger (of MASH fame) and U of Toledo 90-67. Clinger wore a snappy blouse and skirt combination while sitting on the Toledo bench as honorary mascot. :lol:
How about Radar , you remember him too ??
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Excellent come back game for Ace. Good for VCU, Jersey. The A10 needs all the help it can get this year.

Nice! I haven’t really paid attention to GW’s games so far as I wasn’t expecting very much from them this year. But, this would be a very nice win.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Nice! I haven’t really paid attention to GW’s games so far as I wasn’t expecting very much from them this year. But, this would be a very nice win.
Don't sleep on GW, they have some talent.
Bishop is a stud.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

GW up 60-25

Lol

USCjr is dead without Frank
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Richmond loses to Clinger (of MASH fame) and U of Toledo 90-67. Clinger wore a snappy blouse and skirt combination while sitting on the Toledo bench as honorary mascot. :lol:
How about Radar , you remember him too ??
Yes, Reef. I believe Radar hailed from Ottumwa, Iowa. My friends and I religiously watched MASH reruns on channel 38 while living on campus at Rhody back in the early 80’s. Good times!

Looks like the A10 will go 8 and 2 tonight. Pretty, pretty good.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Butler beats Kansas State 76-64.
Nebraska up big on Boston College 68-43 with 7 minutes left.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Comparative scores don't mean much in a singular vein, but they do send a message when in the aggregate comparative scores do run not in your favor. That's what URI is facing now. Let's hope this team can grow as the season moves along, something we did not see with Cox teams.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Butler beats Kansas State 76-64.
K-State was 6-0 going into tonight’s game. I figured they would win a tight one despite playing at 4-3 Butler. Good thing I don’t bet.

I watched a few minutes of the game and saw Thad Matta coaching Butler. I completely forgot he was there.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Butler beats Kansas State 76-64.
K-State was 6-0 going into tonight’s game. I figured they would win a tight one despite playing at 4-3 Butler. Good thing I don’t bet.

I watched a few minutes of the game and saw Thad Matta coaching Butler. I completely forgot he was there.
Wow me too
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I saw that Nebraska throttled BC and immediately thought that’s not too good for us but we all know this season is about growth and the future