22-23 Starting Five

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: 22-23 Starting Five

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I would like to ask what happened to Ish. He is going into his Junior year, and he is the 8th man on the mins list
What happened
He had a rough season last year, and he shot 1-10 overall and 0-6 from 3 at the scrimmage….Bassy looked much better, and I think he’s passed him on the depth chart.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago These are the 8 players that I think will get the most minutes...
1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Weston
4. Martin
5. Tchikou
6th- Bassy
7th- Rory
8th - Ish
Ish seems way too low to me, unless you're predicting that he'll lose MPG as the season goes on. I'd actually him at #2 or #3, along with Martin. I'd probably have Weston at #4 - he'll need some time to adjust to how the live game is called. Carey is already dealing with a nagging injury, and although he's improved he still has trouble with turnovers at times, so I think he's more likely to be slightly behind the first four names I listed. Every other scholarship player on the roster, it wouldn't surprise me if they were 6th or last in MPG.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago These are the 8 players that I think will get the most minutes...
1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Weston
4. Martin
5. Tchikou
6th- Bassy
7th- Rory
8th - Ish
Ish seems way too low to me, unless you're predicting that he'll lose MPG as the season goes on. I'd actually him at #2 or #3, along with Martin. I'd probably have Weston at #4 - he'll need some time to adjust to how the live game is called. Carey is already dealing with a nagging injury, and although he's improved, he still has trouble with turnovers at times, so I think he's more likely to be slightly behind the first four names I listed. Every other scholarship player on the roster, it wouldn't surprise me if they were 6th or last in MPG.
I'm not saying I think Ish will be 8th in overall minutes. Those are just the 8 guys I think will get the most minutes. Of course, injuries will change things... I think Ish is behind Bray, Carey, and Bassy if everyone is healthy. In almost every interview I've listened to, Archie has brought up Carey as someone that has been standing out in practice. He's brought up Bassy a few times as well. I hope Ish dominates, as he is a great kid, but I will need to see it to believe it.. He regressed last year and looked even worse at the scrimmage.

For Quinnipiac, I think this is who will lead the team in minutes.

1. Bray
2. Malik
3. Bassy
4. Ish
5. Tchikou
6. Carey (because he's injured)
7. Weston
8. Rory
9. Samb

If Ant does show, Archie will slowly ramp up his minutes, eventually cutting the minutes out of one of our guards. My guess is that person will be Ish.

The only two players I think will definitely get a lot of minutes are Bray and Malik. After that, I think it depends on who's making an impact and who's progressing.. By the end of the year, I hope Weston is our second option behind Bray. I hope Ant is playing his best basketball and Tchikou takes a turn.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good list I’d move up Weston and Carey and move down Ish for the 1st game
LamonteUlmer15
Michael Andersen

Unread post by LamonteUlmer15 »

My ideal Starting 5
PG- Bassy
SG- Bray
SF- Weston
PF-Martin
C- Tchiku
I really like the idea of having Bray out there as a primary scorer who also has PG skills, while also having a more pure PG in Bassy who can push pace and distribute. I like Carey but way more as a potential microwave scorer off the bench than as a consistent starter. Ish is obviously a solid defender but he simply has to prove that he has improved his offense if he wants to earn more minutes this year. Weston, Martin, Tchiku seem pretty hard to argue against as the two wings/ Center
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago Good list I’d move up Weston and Carey and move down Ish for the 1st game
I want Weston to eventually play all the minutes he can handle, but based on Archie's comments, he will ease him in a little. With Weston basically being a true freshman and coming off an injury, I would be very surprised if he had him play a ton of minutes.. As Archie said, Weston will look like a different player by January. Until then, we will need to deal with growing pains and let him adjust to this level.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If Bassey and Martin are among the top 5 in minutes played, it is tine to down grade expectations for this season.
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Pretty much everything Archie has said has been to keep expectations low this season. Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.
Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago If Bassey and Martin are among the top 5 in minutes played, it is tine to down grade expectations for this season.

Don’t at all agree on Martin. He will do his job, get rebounds and play good defense. As long as he is not the primary go to scorer, he would get a lot of minutes on the top tier teams.

Agree on Bassy, unless he has really improved his offense.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

C Tchikou. 22 min Likely will get into foul trouble at the beginning of the season.(most inexperienced bigs, do. ). Likely more minutes for Samb and Rory (18) than planned on

Pg. Freeman 30 Bassy 10

Sg. Carey. 26. Ish 14

Sg Weston 26. Ish 10 freeman 4

Forward. Malik30. Rory 10
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

McRam, if you hit the nail on the head with those minutes predictions, you should change your KB name to Karnak the Magnificent.

That’s for those who used to watch Johnny Carson.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago C Tchikou. 22 min Likely will get into foul trouble at the beginning of the season.(most inexperienced bigs, do. ). Likely more minutes for Samb and Rory (18) than planned on

Pg. Freeman 30 Bassy 10

Sg. Carey. 26. Ish 14

Sg Weston 26. Ish 10 freeman 4

Forward. Malik30. Rory 10
Bassy will get more than 10. Besides being the primary ball handler when Bray is sitting, Archie has already said that he will also play Bassy and Bray together.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bassy may get 10 minutes in the first half. I would be shocked if he only got 10 minutes tomorrow..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Apparently most of you have a higher opinion of Bassy than I do.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

freeman
carey
martin
weston
tchikou
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Matunuck wrote: 1 year ago Apparently most of you have a higher opinion of Bassy than I do.
I wasn't especially high on his game last year... But, I'm not sure if anyone else on the roster really has enough handle to play the point consistently. Like, if Bassy isn't great again this year, the alternative is probably to play Freeman as close to 40 MPG as you can, or use Ish or Carey in spot duty, or one of the walk-ons.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Matunuck wrote: 1 year ago Apparently most of you have a higher opinion of Bassy than I do.
I wasn't especially high on his game last year... But, I'm not sure if anyone else on the roster really has enough handle to play the point consistently. Like, if Bassy isn't great again this year, the alternative is probably to play Freeman as close to 40 MPG as you can, or use Ish or Carey in spot duty, or one of the walk-ons.
I feel very confident that Bassy will be a perfect fit in his role on this team.
Archie has said that he has an extremely high basketball IQ, the fastest player on the team, and currently one of our top 3pt shooters.

He may eventually be disappointed with his minutes and decide to transfer to a lower-level conference.

Actually SG, I felt he was a much better player than I originally thought when he first came here.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
I feel very confident that Bassy will be a perfect fit in his role on this team.
Archie has said that he has an extremely high basketball IQ, the fastest player on the team, and currently one of our top 3pt shooters.

He may eventually be disappointed with his minutes and decide to transfer to a lower-level conference.

Actually SG, I felt he was a much better player than I originally thought when he first came here.
If Thomas truly is one of the top 3 point shooters on this team we may not win 10 games.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

If Thomas truly is one of the top 3 point shooters on this team we may not win 10 games.
Maybe he improved his shooting more than we think, at least in practice.
Well, he also said in his statement that he purposely didn't include any of the freshmen.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Thomas is smooth and poised for sure. His shooting looks* good, but well see on the %.
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Thomas' shooting looked good? We weren't watching the same player
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Thomas' shooting looked good? We weren't watching the same player
Form wise.
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

And you wondered why I said Ant Harris is a big loss...

I love Bassy, and I think he's a strong playmaker, but he's nothing more than a role piece on a good A10 team.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Thomas' shooting looked good? We weren't watching the same player
Form wise.
Yeah, his form last year was TERRIBLE. Like Cam Newton with the Patriots bad. If you thought his form looked good we weren't watching the same player
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
Form wise.
Yeah, his form last year was TERRIBLE. Like Cam Newton with the Patriots bad. If you thought his form looked good we weren't watching the same player
It looked better at the scrimmage.. Archie said they record every shot taken and Bassy is near the top. No one can question his work ethic.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Fair enough, I didn't get to go to the scrimmage, so I can only comment on last year
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Fair enough, I didn't get to go to the scrimmage, so I can only comment on last year
Better, as in it didn't look like one of the worst shooting forms I've ever seen.

1. Lonzo
2. Shawn Marion
3. Bassy

Lonzo fixed his form. Bassy looked like he's improved his. The problem is he still didn't hit anything. As many have said, if he can shoot, he'll make an impact because he's fantastic on the fast break and can run the offense well.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m high on Bassy think he can play up to 20 minutes per night in a 6th or 7th man role
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And the starters for the 1st game were:

Starters Minutes
32-Thomas
31-Leggett
30-Martin
23-Samb
15-Freeman

Bench Minutes
21-Carey
20-Tchikou
14-Stewart
7-Hutchinson
7-Weston

Anybody get more than 3 starters right?

Will be interesting to see next game.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Coach went with the proven/healthy guys. Not that surprising I guess.
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago And the starters for the 1st game were:

Starters Minutes
32-Thomas
31-Leggett
30-Martin
23-Samb
15-Freeman

Bench Minutes
21-Carey
20-Tchikou
14-Stewart
7-Hutchinson
7-Weston

If Bassy leads this team in minutes we will be very bad
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

KingstonLane, I believe both of those things may end up being true, unfortunately.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Archie had in his hand, during a lot of the game, a laminated card with what looked like different rotations of players in groups of five. Based on what he has said, the starting lineups will change, I expect as players get more comfortable in their roles, settle into his concepts on defense and offense their minutes will increase. I think the bench minutes from the group above to increase.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Starters Minutes
32-Thomas
31-Leggett
30-Martin
23-Samb
15-Freeman

Bench Minutes
21-Carey
20-Tchikou
14-Stewart
7-Hutchinson
7-Weston

I disagree. If Bassy leads the team in 3 point attempts, we will be very bad.

Bassy looked like a PG. One dumb pass that should've been over the top on a breakaway that was a TO. Obviously low level competition, but a 3:1 A/TO ratio would be top 5 in the country. That's Dowtin's career average (he was 5:1 sophomore year). Also, it's pretty tough to get assists when your guys are missing 89% of their 3 point attempts.

I think we expect Bray to move to PG once everyone gets healthy/up to speed - but he looked dreadful off the ball. Again, this is game 1 of year 1. Archie doesn't even know what he has yet. I don't expect to see a whittled down lineup and rotation until conference play.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Starters Minutes
32-Thomas
31-Leggett
30-Martin
23-Samb
15-Freeman

Bench Minutes
21-Carey
20-Tchikou
14-Stewart
7-Hutchinson
7-Weston

I disagree. If Bassy leads the team in 3 point attempts, we will be very bad.

Bassy looked like a PG. One dumb pass that should've been over the top on a breakaway that was a TO. Obviously low level competition, but a 3:1 A/TO ratio would be top 5 in the country. That's Dowtin's career average (he was 5:1 sophomore year). Also, it's pretty tough to get assists when your guys are missing 89% of their 3 point attempts.

I think we expect Bray to move to PG once everyone gets healthy/up to speed - but he looked dreadful off the ball. Again, this is game 1 of year 1. Archie doesn't even know what he has yet. I don't expect to see a whittled down lineup and rotation until conference play.
Fair. He sees the floor well, I won’t argue that.

My issue is him in relation to roster construction. Bassy surrounded by reliable shot creators and shooters is a recipe for success. If the other 4 guys on the floor don’t excel in that area, his lack of shot creation and shooting ability is amplified. And his value added as a distributor is minimized.

Let’s hope game 1 was an anomaly of shooting potential
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I give Miller credit for his starting line-up. Four returnees plus Freeman. I don't know why he started before Carey. Carey probably didn't practice hard enough. New players should earn their minutes through hard work and good performance. This is what Cox should have done.
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I give Miller credit for his starting line-up. Four returnees plus Freeman. I don't know why he started before Carey. Carey probably didn't practice hard enough. New players should earn their minutes through hard work and good performance. This is what Cox should have done.
Carey has been hurt and therefore had not been practicing.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I give Miller credit for his starting line-up. Four returnees plus Freeman. I don't know why he started before Carey. Carey probably didn't practice hard enough. New players should earn their minutes through hard work and good performance. This is what Cox should have done.
Actually every player should earn their minutes. Bray started because he's our best guard. Archie has praised Carey all offseason, so I don't buy for a second that he didn't "practice hard enough"..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

It’s my understanding that the team used a points system in practices, exhibitions, etc. and the guys who scored the best in the point system were rewarded with starting and or/minutes.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago It’s my understanding that the team used a points system in practices, exhibitions, etc. and the guys who scored the best in the point system were rewarded with starting and or/minutes.
And if I heard it correct n the recent Coach’s Show, with the Martin interview, that system is how the gold Jersey in practice is earned. Not sure if that was stated before.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’d switch Carey for Bassy next game to start , Bassy can still play 20-25 minutes not sure we want him @ 32 minutes
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’d switch Carey for Bassy next game to start , Bassy can still play 20-25 minutes not sure we want him @ 32 minutes
I think you have to start Bassy until Freeman shows something better. With the way Freeman played the other night, him, Carey and Ish is not going to work.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago I’d switch Carey for Bassy next game to start , Bassy can still play 20-25 minutes not sure we want him @ 32 minutes
I think you have to start Bassy until Freeman shows something better. With the way Freeman played the other night, him, Carey and Ish is not going to work.
Freeman showed all last year…
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Monday Bassy was clearly the better player. But I’ll give Freeman the benefit of the doubt that early foul trouble contributed to his poor performance. I’m hoping he bounces back.
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago Monday Bassy was clearly the better player. But I’ll give Freeman the benefit of the doubt that early foul trouble contributed to his poor performance. I’m hoping he bounces back.
A highlight of the scrimmage was Freeman going 8-8 FT’s, but for all the hype I’ve heard about Freeman I was not overly impressed at the scrimmage and less so vs Quinnipiac. In the scrimmage he seemed to drive the lane and run the floor out of control at times and struggled sometimes defensively. Could be why Thomas is being given the reins early on running the show.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Freeman drive into 4 guys more times than not. Decision making was bad.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah big game for Free tomorrow if he goes 0-5 with 2 points again we are going to be in a world of hurt
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Needs to play under control, too much going into the lane with no plan. Outside shot needs to drop too.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Actually right now I like Archie's starting 5: Ish, Bray, Martin, Samb, and Bilau.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Actually right now I like Archie's starting 5: Ish, Bray, Martin, Samb, and Bilau.
Yeah agree 77 no issues with those starters

Good call on Samb he played well today