11/7 | Quinnipiac | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 11/7 | Quinnipiac | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Stop making excuses for poor play and a lack of talent. Archie fan club members were drinking the kool-aid. We lost to Q tonight in our warm-up game.
OOh missed this! Go back to your cow pasture and suck one!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

EZBuckets wrote: 1 year ago Hey everyone!

Popping in for my semi-annual post on KB just to respond to some of the comments in the thread…

This is my 15th season as the hype man/MC for Rhody and considering the fact I started my senior year…yes, that means I am in fact in my mid 30s.

It’s also true that I’m getting old and the students should be running the Ruckus themselves.

The good news is that amongst the many fresh changes that Marketing is implementing for Gameday (including a bunch that we debuted last night including new/fresh games, promotions, bigger prizes, new cheers etc.) is that we now have a Ruckus Student Leadership group that will begin carrying the torch to organize & lead all things Ruckus.

Last night was the group’s first game & were in “observation” mode and as the season progresses they’ll be running the show for the Ruckus allowing me to take a step back from those duties so I can focus on my usual pre- & in-game duties on the mic.

I’ve got maybe another season or two before I (for real this time) “retire” and establishing an organized student leadership group now is a great first step to ensure that when I do leave, the Ruckus will thrive.

(Oh and for anyone who wants to hear me do PA, come to some Women’s games - I’ll be back handling PA for 8 home games this season.)

As far as the team goes - in the immortal words of Jim Baron you gotta trust DA PROCESS! I’m sure Archie will get us where we need to be it’s just not gonna happen overnight & expect this team to get better and better as the season progresses.

GO RHODY!!!!
The students were really good yesterday. The RC was rocking after some of those plays that got Rhody within 3-6.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Ugly game. But anyway....Dan Yorke actually made me feel uncomfortable when he was screaming into his mic. He's got to understand we're not there to see him make an ass out of himself....cringe worthy.
If he wants to yell his ass off at the games just let him buy a ticket and join the rest of the fans in the stands who enjoy shouting (like myself). It is cringe to do so on his highly amped up microphone.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Ugly game. But anyway....Dan Yorke actually made me feel uncomfortable when he was screaming into his mic. He's got to understand we're not there to see him make an ass out of himself....cringe worthy.
If he wants to yell his ass off at the games just let him buy a ticket and join the rest of the fans in the stands who enjoy shouting (like myself). It is cringe to do so on his highly amped up microphone.
Also I know we only heard it twice…but sponsoring a three point shot when announced?

Why is it the only time I ever hear dumb things like that (TF Green travel, etc) is here? Why can’t we just operate like any other venue?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yorke has got to go, However, I guess we are powerless here to influence any kinda change…….if EZ Buckets looking to transition out of current role, perfect opportunity to transition to PA for mens games…….No?
Last edited by section(105) 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Also I know we only heard it twice…but sponsoring a three point shot when announced?

Why is it the only time I ever hear dumb things like that (TF Green travel, etc) is here? Why can’t we just operate like any other venue?
Lifetime season tickets? Seemed strange. Never heard of that before, anywhere or in any sport.

There is so much frequent noise with microphones it’s distracting from the game itself. Call me old fashioned but I enjoy watching the game and cheering when appropriate.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago There was 1 fantastic new cheer featuring Rhody that was NBA arena quality. Sadly that was the only thing NBA level quality in the arena last night.
This was a picture just as they finished. Wish I had taken one when Rhody was held high up in the air.
It was a great cheer.
Well done.
Hope that is done every game.

35813534-E661-4F54-A233-D4C3CD138020.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

EZBuckets wrote: 1 year ago Hey everyone!

Popping in for my semi-annual post on KB just to respond to some of the comments in the thread…

This is my 15th season as the hype man/MC for Rhody and considering the fact I started my senior year…yes, that means I am in fact in my mid 30s.

It’s also true that I’m getting old and the students should be running the Ruckus themselves.

The good news is that amongst the many fresh changes that Marketing is implementing for Gameday (including a bunch that we debuted last night including new/fresh games, promotions, bigger prizes, new cheers etc.) is that we now have a Ruckus Student Leadership group that will begin carrying the torch to organize & lead all things Ruckus.

Last night was the group’s first game & were in “observation” mode and as the season progresses they’ll be running the show for the Ruckus allowing me to take a step back from those duties so I can focus on my usual pre- & in-game duties on the mic.

I’ve got maybe another season or two before I (for real this time) “retire” and establishing an organized student leadership group now is a great first step to ensure that when I do leave, the Ruckus will thrive.

(Oh and for anyone who wants to hear me do PA, come to some Women’s games - I’ll be back handling PA for 8 home games this season.)

As far as the team goes - in the immortal words of Jim Baron you gotta trust DA PROCESS! I’m sure Archie will get us where we need to be it’s just not gonna happen overnight & expect this team to get better and better as the season progresses.

GO RHODY!!!!
While the team underperformed I have to say the students were in good form, especially considering the results. Thanks for your efforts.
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's blatantly loud on TV too

"ISHMAAEELL LEGGETTTTEEAAAAHHHHHH"

They aren't professional wrestlers dude.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I thought maybe it just sounded louder on TV from the mics picking it up or something, but I guess not. Yeah it was painful to listen to.
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BCRhody03 »

Felt great being back in the Ryan Center with a great atmosphere. Last season was the first time I wasn't there for a game this century, and from everyone's account's of how bad things were, I'm almost glad I didn't see the building in such a sad state.

Losing sucks obviously but like others have already said, it was refreshing to see a coherent offense for a change. All 3 bigs showed flashes, and I really like what I saw from Tchikou. He was everywhere on defense and showed some skill on the offensive end. I had some Kahiem Seawright flashbacks when he drove to the hoop and made a spinning layup. His free throws looked good too, could see him developing a decent midrange shot eventually. He just needs so settle down a bit on the defensive end. He flails his arms a lot trying to get blocks and it will lead to some bad fouls. Samb is another great athlete but got himself out of position for rebounds often by trying to block shots that he really didn't have a chance at getting. He did score some baskets in tbe paint and showed off some post moves at times, that should open up the perimeter... just a matter of whether anybody can take advantage of that. Rory can be that guy IMO. His 3 pt shots didn't fall, but he has great form and a quick release for a big man. He also bodied up #24 a few times and didn't look overmatched on the defensive end. Will def see some time when they have to play two bigs against taller teams.

Our guard play was sporadic and the new guys struggled to get a rhythm going, whether it be foul trouble or nagging injuries. Hopefully they can get right for Saturday's matchup. It looks like Archie will lean heavily on the returning players, at least early on. I love Thomas and the pace that he plays the game at, all while staying under control for the most part. He is great on the fast break too and that's where this team will score most of their points until the perimeter shooting starts to show up. Right now though .... it's ugly. You can tell the second Thomas releases a shot that it's not even close. Malik had a couple of those as well. They need to get Jimmy Baron on the phone ASAP and try to fix some of these jumpers.

Coach has his hands full but that shouldn't be a surprise to him at all. Hopefully we see some shots fall Saturday and confidence build off that. GORHODY!
Last edited by BCRhody03 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Yorke has got to go, However, I guess we are powerless here to influence any kinda change…….if EZ Buckets looking to transition out of current role, perfect opportunity to transition to PA for mens games…….No?
OMG YES! JV needs to replace Yorke ASAP.

Why is Athletic Dept leadership so AFRAID to give Yorke some constructive feedback so he can actually IMPROVE at his craft, to the benefit of all?

Instead, Yorke has become even more in love with his own ridiculous voice, so often misaligned with the action and importance (or not) of the moment. His performance as PA announcer detracts from the Ryan Center in-game experience.

He needs to understand he is supposed to enhance the product on the floor -- not completely distract from it. We aren't there to hear his voice.

Time to let someone take over who will take the role seriously and not treat it like an entitlement.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Yorke has got to go, However, I guess we are powerless here to influence any kinda change…….if EZ Buckets looking to transition out of current role, perfect opportunity to transition to PA for mens games…….No?

Why is Athletic Dept leadership so AFRAID to give Yorke some constructive feedback so he can actually IMPROVE at his craft, to the benefit of all?

Instead, Yorke has become even more in love with his own ridiculous voice, so often misaligned with the action and importance (or not) of the moment. His performance as PA announcer detracts from the Ryan Center in-game experience.

He needs to understand he is supposed to enhance the product on the floor -- not completely distract from it. We aren't there to hear his voice.

Time to let someone take over who will take the role seriously and not treat it like an entitlement.
Time for an on-line partition and or survey here…….way beyond my skills. Maybe Yorke is under contract? I doubt he is a game to game engagement. Even crazier, maybe the deciders actually like what he does? If he would just dial it back a couple of notches and just give the basics without trying to embellish things he would be tolerable. Hey Dan, dial it back, please. My guess is he reads the stuff here?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I don’t understand the piped in drumming sound either. More Ram Band more Spirit Team. Agree the Rhody held high cheer was pretty epic. Ram Band “Build me up Buttercup” had students near me swaying.

Yorke was bush league I have zero doubt Miller will have a word with him to clean it up. Really, really bad. Almost like he’s trying to compete with EZBuckets for attention. Detracted huge from an otherwise good show.

Fix it.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Remember it’s a basketball game first, second and third
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Stop making excuses for poor play and a lack of talent. Archie fan club members were drinking the kool-aid. We lost to Q tonight in our warm-up game.
What did you think about Archie's performance? What players lack talent and why? I'd love to hear your thoughts..

Besides your incredible insight, "our opponents will have a game plan on offense and defense"

In the moment, I was distraught and negative. Which will continue to happen during games... But, after rewatching it, I saw a lot of encouraging things.

Most of us have said this season will be challenging and expect a lot of growing pains. I thought Archie made a mistake not playing two bigs sooner after we kept getting murdered on the defensive boards. Other than that, I thought he coached a great game. I liked that he pulled players that made dumb mistakes. I like that he kept players in if we had momentum. I loved the motion offense. He had a couple of beautiful plays after timeouts when we needed a basket. He adjusted to what was going on in the game. Something Cox rarely did.

We have plenty of talent. I didn't see poor play. I saw guys miss open shots and a team with many new faces. I saw a lot of guys that were playing their first meaningful minutes at this level. Seeing a team run an offensive set that created open looks was such a breath of fresh air. Seeing a coach call a timeout in the right moments was something I hadn't witnessed in years. Having a coach admit that he made a mistake waiting to play two bigs reminds me that we have a legitimate head coach again who will accept when he's wrong... He warned us that this was going to take time.

The problem is that most of our talent is raw right now, which happens when you have a complete rebuild, as Archie has.

Tchikou is going to be a problem. He's loaded with upside.

l like Lou's size.

I was upset that Weston didn't play until I heard he was hurt. We saw what type of player he could be at the scrimmage.

Rory was solid for playing his first game at this level.

Bilau will help with the rebounding and defending once he's back.

Foumena has plenty of upside and talent. Tchikou and Foumena will be fun front court next season.

Ant Harris will be a fantastic addition if he ends up coming in Jan.

Connor will instantly be our best shooter next season. He won't' be missing all those open looks.

Cam Estevez is a big strong playmaking guard who's a much better shooter than Bassy. Some of you brought up that our guards look small. Cam is 6'4...

My main point is some of our key pieces aren't here yet and the ones that are, need time to develop.

Go Rhody!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
What did you think about Archie's performance? What players lack talent and why? I'd love to hear your thoughts..

Besides your incredible insight, "our opponents will have a game plan on offense and defense"

In the moment, I was distraught and negative. Which will continue to happen during games... But, after rewatching it, I saw a lot of encouraging things.

Most of us have said this season will be challenging and expect a lot of growing pains. I thought Archie made a mistake not playing two bigs sooner after we kept getting murdered on the defensive boards. Other than that, I thought he coached a great game. I liked that he pulled players that made dumb mistakes. I like that he kept players in if we had momentum. I loved the motion offense. He had a couple of beautiful plays after timeouts when we needed a basket. He adjusted to what was going on in the game. Something Cox rarely did.

We have plenty of talent. I didn't see poor play. I saw guys miss open shots and a team with many new faces. I saw a lot of guys that were playing their first meaningful minutes at this level. Seeing a team run an offensive set that created open looks was such a breath of fresh air. Seeing a coach call a timeout in the right moments was something I hadn't witnessed in years. Having a coach admit that he made a mistake waiting to play two bigs reminds me that we have a legitimate head coach again who will accept when he's wrong... He warned us that this was going to take time.

The problem is that most of our talent is raw right now, which happens when you have a complete rebuild, as Archie has.

l like Lou's size.

I was upset that Weston didn't play until I heard he was hurt. We saw what type of player he could be at the scrimmage.

Foumena has plenty of upside and talent. Tchikou and Foumena will be fun front court next season.

Connor will instantly be our best shooter next season. He won't' be missing all those open looks.

Cam Estevez is a big strong playmaking guard who's a much better shooter than Bassy. Some of you brought up that our guards look small. Cam is 6'4...

My main point is some of our key pieces aren't here yet and the ones that are, need time to develop.

Go Rhody!!
Agree with everything here. Had to point out the offense as I too noticed some really good plays being run. You can see the potential. Hopefully, we think back on this game one day and notice how far we have come.
GO RAMS
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago

Time for an on-line partition and or survey here…….way beyond my skills. Maybe Yorke is under contract? I doubt he is a game to game engagement. Even crazier, maybe the deciders actually like what he does? If he would just dial it back a couple of notches and just give the basics without trying to embellish things he would be tolerable. Hey Dan, dial it back, please. My guess is he reads the stuff here?
Give him a call, he's on every day from 3-6pm. He'll hang up on you, but give it a try anyway!!! :lol:
Mobley was fouled.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Can Connor come now? Man we need his shooting….

I think Connor should change his last name to Threesky. 🙂
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Remember it’s a basketball game first, second and third
not so much anymore. a GOOD marketing dept. would say they're in the entrainment business. the BBall will only get you so far, especially when you suck. it's the rest of the circus and stuff that draws eyes and people in the gate.

sports marketing 101.

I'm not defending DY here, just saying.
:lol:
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago There was 1 fantastic new cheer featuring Rhody that was NBA arena quality. Sadly that was the only thing NBA level quality in the arena last night.
This was a picture just as they finished. Wish I had taken one when Rhody was held high up in the air.
It was a great cheer.
Well done.

I gotta say our Ram is FREAKING AWESOME. Loved when they lifted him off the court and held him aloft by his feet. And I absolutely lost it when he was courtside and used a towel to dry off a bald guy's head like he was polishing a bowling ball.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
It was a great cheer.
Well done.

I gotta say our Ram is FREAKING AWESOME. Loved when they lifted him off the court and held him aloft by his feet. And I absolutely lost it when he was courtside and used a towel to dry off a bald guy's head like he was polishing a bowling ball.
It did appear the Ram has shown some moxie and mischievous that was so prevalent in Old Rhody. Nice to see. That cheer was fantastic! Rhody the Ram needs to be mischievous. Sneaking around and doing crazy things. That is what I loved about Old Rhody!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
It was a great cheer.
Well done.

At the scrimmage, Rhody came up and sat next to me. He/she started throwing the free popcorn at the people in front of me and when they looked back to see who was doing it, he/she pointed at me. All in good fun.
Last edited by Billyboy78 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Two cents from afar

- You’re going to be fine; maybe not finishing with a great record this year, but I'm betting the team at the end of the year will be unrecognizable to what you just saw last night. You’re in good hands

- Thought the team defended at a high level, especially during that run in the second half

- Maybe it was a mistake not to go to two bigs earlier since Nweke was killing you on the glass, but I think he’s just trying to experiment with lineups to see what he’s got. Miller isn’t dumb and it’s not as if this didn’t occur to him.

- Usually upsets like this happen when a team shoots lights out, so its a little concerning that you lost to a low major that shot mediocre from 3 and 35% from the line, but meh. First game jitters. Strange things happen early in the year

- Rory Stewart reminds me a lot of what we had in Horchler last year. Shots will fall and he already looks stronger than Noah was at the start of his run here.

- I think Weston is going to be your best player and I really hope he’s healthy enough to get solid minutes for you this year.

- The big kid from Alabama is going to be a monster in the A-10 over the next few years

- Saw a couple comments that noted Cox’s players were the best guys out there. Mostly true, but that should be obvious. They are more experienced and comfortable in that building.

- Carey is an enigma. So much talent, but I just don’t get it with him.

- That PA guy has got to go. Amateur hour.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

l like Lou's size.

Go Rhody!!
Good insights Stevey. It's going to be frustrating for fans for a bit. I was encouraged by the crowd enthusiasm. I'm sure Archie was as well. Good crowd. Archie knows that 3000 more fans will be there when the team is good.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago Two cents from afar

- You’re going to be fine; maybe not finishing with a great record this year, but I'm betting the team at the end of the year will be unrecognizable to what you just saw last night. You’re in good hands

- Thought the team defended at a high level, especially during that run in the second half

- Maybe it was a mistake not to go to two bigs earlier since Nweke was killing you on the glass, but I think he’s just trying to experiment with lineups to see what he’s got. Miller isn’t dumb and it’s not as if this didn’t occur to him.

- Usually upsets like this happen when a team shoots lights out, so its a little concerning that you lost to a low major that shot mediocre from 3 and 35% from the line, but meh. First game jitters. Strange things happen early in the year

- Rory Stewart reminds me a lot of what we had in Horchler last year. Shots will fall and he already looks stronger than Noah was at the start of his run here.

- I think Weston is going to be your best player and I really hope he’s healthy enough to get solid minutes for you this year.

- The big kid from Alabama is going to be a monster in the A-10 over the next few years

- Saw a couple comments that noted Cox’s players were the best guys out there. Mostly true, but that should be obvious. They are more experienced and comfortable in that building.

I’ll give you a 👍🏼 For those insightful comments. But, don’t expect me to make it a habit. :lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I like your comparison for Rory Stewart. I've been using Peyton Aldridge, who was a monster at Davidson
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If Rory ever becomes close to being as good as Horchler or Ryan Hawkins at Creighton, I will be thrilled.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago - That PA guy has got to go. Amateur hour.
Seriously, I'd take Friar Frank at this point...

LOL, JK! :lol:
Mobley was fouled.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm worried about Freeman that he's not well suited for the 2. Not big (I question 6-2), no game off the ball, didn't defend well.
I think they'd be better with him at the 1, insert Carey into starting lineup and use Thomas off the bench.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago I'm worried about Freeman that he's not well suited for the 2. Not big (I question 6-2), no game off the ball, didn't defend well.
I think they'd be better with him at the 1, insert Carey into starting lineup and use Thomas off the bench.
I think we started Bassy because Archie wanted a second ball handler due to Quinnipiacs pressure defense. I hope…

I totally agree that Carey should start. He has the ability the score and he’s probably our best rebounding guard which we need.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Is Carey still hampered with the muscle pull or whatever kept him out of the Blue-White game?
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

It would make me feel better if PC loses to Rider tonight :lol:
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I like Carey and Alex. I think they’re starters moving forward baring a heathy slate.
GO RAMS
Bri234u
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Bri234u »

Greetings from section 302
I thought the atmosphere was great last night. The students showed up and appeared to have a great time.
I think it is safe to say that this year is going to be filled with quite a few ups and downs. This is what we get with an incredibly young and inexperienced team. I remember watching Tyson's team during his freshman season go something like 7-20. We lost quite a few close games that year but by the end of the season, you could tell that the future for that core group of players was going to be bright. I see a similar situation with our team this year.
Regarding this year's team.
Our big men have super potential. Their footwork seems to be decent which I think is a good sign. They just need time to improve. Unfortunately getting schooled by more experienced players will be part of the learning and development process.
I have hope for Rory. His shots will start to fall and his confidence will build. He seems to have a great attitude which will go a long way. Image him in three years with another 25 pounds of muscle and experience.
Our guards will be fine.
I have full trust and confidence in Archie Miller and his coaching staff to bring an A10 championship to Kingston.
Just my two cents from the cheap seats....
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like that too Carey and Bray starting guards bring Bassy off the bench

Bray
Carey
Ish
Martin
Alex

Bassy Samb Weston Rory are 6-9 with Lou as the 10th man ??
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago - That PA guy has got to go. Amateur hour.
Seriously, I'd take Friar Frank at this point...

LOL, JK! :lol:
Let's not get carried away lol
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Bassy consistently pushed the offense as a pass first PG. He did his job. IT wasn't his primary job to rebound and score. He reminds of Carlos Esterling at this point in both careers. But, Carlos had teammates who could score and rebound.
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

It was nice to see a legitimate fast break again. Looking forward to a more successful one, which should happen during conference play. Also tighter defensive rebounding is a must.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Bassy consistently pushed the offense as a pass first PG. He did his job. IT wasn't his primary job to rebound and score. He reminds of Carlos Esterling at this point in both careers. But, Carlos had teammates who could score and rebound.
Good comparison tho Easterling came from Christ the King NYC as a pretty hot recruit IIRC. Fast, strong with ball but wow ugly shooting form. Maybe uglier than Thomas.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Easterling as a Thomas comparison got brought up last year, but Easterling was a 78 percent shooter from the line for his URI career, and ended up as a 48 percent shooter from the field and 40 percent from 3, albeit it a rate of 1 attempt per game. I like what Thomas showed this first game, but his "peak" is probably something similar to like Marquis Jones - an average starter, a decent bench guy, but probably someone in danger of being over-recruited by Archie if things go how we hope they will.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Was I the only one who was thoroughly impressed with Samb?

He looked extremely fluid and comfortable in his first college game.

In the second half, he caught the ball at the foul line and in one motion, spun and made a little mid range fadaway.

Don't remember a young big man of ours making that shot that early in their careers.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bassy was 3-10 overall and 0-4 from 3.... We already knew he was a strong playmaker that could push the pace. If this team is going to go anywhere our starting point guard can't shoot 30% from the field and 0% from 3. Period. I love Bassy as a backup guard that pushes the pace when we need a spark. But he's not a starting-level guard on a good A10 team.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Was I the only one who was thoroughly impressed with Samb?

He looked extremely fluid and comfortable in his first college game.

In the second half, he caught the ball at the foul line and in one motion, spun and made a little mid range fadaway.

Don't remember a young big man of ours making that shot that early in their careers.
I thought our entire frontcourt was a pleasant surprise. Every player made an impact.

In the first half, I wasn't very impressed with Samb. He was getting bullied underneath. Tchikou was much better. The second half was a different story. Samb had some nice post moves and a soft touch around the hoop. Had a big block as well.

Rory was solid. He had some big rebounds when no one on our team was rebounding, set the right screens, made the right pass, and had a nice finish. He rushed his 3 pt shots, but once the game slows down for him, he'll be one of our best shooters.

I was negative about Ish before this game and expected Carey to be the better player, but Ish was our best guard. He had some bad out-of-control moments on the offensive end, but his defense was fantastic. Props to him.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One play I haven't seen mentioned was on the one bucket that Rory made, Samb made a beautiful pass. I think that was Samb's best play of the game.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Easterling as a Thomas comparison got brought up last year, but Easterling was a 78 percent shooter from the line for his URI career, and ended up as a 48 percent shooter from the field and 40 percent from 3, albeit it a rate of 1 attempt per game. I like what Thomas showed this first game, but his "peak" is probably something similar to like Marquis Jones - an average starter, a decent bench guy, but probably someone in danger of being over-recruited by Archie if things go how we hope they will.
Easterling was also much bigger and less of a defensive liability IIRC. Also fwiw Easterling was eventually over recruited when Al brought in Jason Alexander and platooned them bc it’s really hard to have a productive offense if your PG can’t make shots.

Yuri Collins is a more recent comp. Absolutely horrific shooter his FR and SO years. But an elite passer. And now prob the best PG in the league. But he is literally the best passing PG in the country; anything short of that and an inability to space a defense and be a floor general that can hit shots is a massive liability long term.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Easterling as a Thomas comparison got brought up last year, but Easterling was a 78 percent shooter from the line for his URI career, and ended up as a 48 percent shooter from the field and 40 percent from 3, albeit it a rate of 1 attempt per game. I like what Thomas showed this first game, but his "peak" is probably something similar to like Marquis Jones - an average starter, a decent bench guy, but probably someone in danger of being over-recruited by Archie if things go how we hope they will.
Easterling was also much bigger and less of a defensive liability IIRC. Also fwiw Easterling was eventually over recruited when Al brought in Jason Alexander and platooned them bc it’s really hard to have a productive offense if your PG can’t make shots.

Yuri Collins is a more recent comp. Absolutely horrific shooter his FR and SO years. But an elite passer. And now prob the best PG in the league. But he is literally the best passing PG in the country; anything short of that and an inability to space a defense and be a floor general that can hit shots is a massive liability long term.
Yeah, he was mentioned last year as a comparable too. By PER, Collins wasn't actually a valuable player until his junior year (last year), when he improved his shooting. I think he's an interesting player to follow this year, since shooting can be erratic from year to year. Also, even with the improved shooting, his PER was "only" 17.3. Assists are cool, but they don't always have a strong correlation to winning or a good offense.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Didn't Baron move Marquis to the '2' for his senior year, and didn't he average 13 a game or thereabouts that year? I actually think Baron did a pretty good job developing him into a solid A10 player.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Bassy was 3-10 overall and 0-4 from 3.... We already knew he was a strong playmaker that could push the pace. If this team is going to go anywhere our starting point guard can't shoot 30% from the field and 0% from 3. Period. I love Bassy as a backup guard that pushes the pace when we need a spark. But he's not a starting-level guard on a good A10 team.
Add the word “yet” to the end of your statement and I agree. Bassy is a 4 year player who by his senior year has hopefully improved his shot enough to be a starter level in the A10.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago
Didn't Baron move Marquis to the '2' for his senior year, and didn't he average 13 a game or thereabouts that year? I actually think Baron did a pretty good job developing him into a solid A10 player.
No, he played the 1 his senior year IIRC, and at almost iron man-like minutes - He averaged 34.8 MPG. Oddly, Baron was OK at getting players to improve steadily, year over year, but it didn't really matter because they either came in as such a low level recruit or were "blocked" by worse and older players Baron wouldn't bench.