2022 Football Game 3 - URI vs. Delaware, Sat. Sept 17, 1 p.m.

All things Rhody Rams football.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022 Football Game 3 - URI vs. Delaware, Sat. Sept 17, 1 p.m.

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

sectionj wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago The shove of QB Hill out of bounds on the Delaware side of the field was ridiculous. I kept waiting for a flag, late flag, any flag to be thrown and nothing. No way that would have gone uncalled.
Two ref's were right there and neither made the call. If you look at it on replay, which I did, Hill did a nice job with the flop. Hell, he could play in the Premier League. :lol:
Was it a flop? Maybe. But he was shoved after he was out of bounds, that's textbook roughing the passer, flopping or not
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Finally you have some juice in the crowd, you have points on the board and you can go into the half 28-7 getting the ball and the defense spit the bit yet again in the half.
The Defense had been on the field for 19 and a half minutes out of 29 mins at that point. It doesn't matter if you give the fans cocaine or bring back the 1970's Schaffer Stadium Patriots fans jumping off the top of the bleachers to their death, the Defense was a piece of meat at that point.

You expect college young men to be machines? We don't expect that out of professional players in the NFL. They've been beaten into the ground, they need a half time break at that point. You think you can just whoop it up and get a Defense that has been abused that bad to respond?

I understand defending a QB, but I don't like this talk of trashing a Defense that didn't get any help from their Offense, in order to do it.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's a pet peeve of mine that goes back about 4 decades, but I can't stand when you watch a game where the Offense cannot sustain drives, nevermind give the back back 4 times in a row, and then the Defense not only had to take it up the _ _ _ on the field, but then they have to get abused after the game as well because they are expected to be miracle workers. That's a very novice way of looking at the game of Football in general.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Finally you have some juice in the crowd, you have points on the board and you can go into the half 28-7 getting the ball and the defense spit the bit yet again in the half.
The Defense had been on the field for 19 and a half minutes out of 29 mins at that point. It doesn't matter if you give the fans cocaine or bring back the 1970's Schaffer Stadium Patriots fans jumping off the top of the bleachers to their death, the Defense was a piece of meat at that point.

You expect college young men to be machines? We don't expect that out of professional players in the NFL. They've been beaten into the ground, they need a half time break at that point. You think you can just whoop it up and get a Defense that has been abused that bad to respond?

I understand defending a QB, but I don't like this talk of trashing a Defense that didn't get any help from their Offense, in order to do it.
The defense allowed touchdowns on every first half possession starting with Delaware's second possession of the game. Was the defense gassed after the 4:35 they were on the field for the first possession? Sorry, the defense was bad, and they didn't do themselves any favors by never getting a stop and getting off the field themselves. Did the offense do them favors in the first half? Absolutely not. But the defense did nothing to help themselves
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The rankings were accurate. Delaware was the superior team, but not by the extent that we saw on Saturday. And the pollsters understand that as well. With a well executed, great strategy, and ideal conditions, URI could have beaten Delaware, but that first half was about the complete opposite of that. And once Delaware was on a roll, they were running downhill. And the rout was on.

You take that game, put it aside, use it to learn from your mistakes, and hopefully as a motivational tool. Under ideal circumstances, they are merely looking to make the Pitt game respectable, so you can use that game to work on all of the aspects of the game that you need to work on.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The Defense was never going to hold them to no touchdowns, that's a fantasy.

The Defense needed to contain a superior team, and keep them within striking distance, and what you watched was a snowball effect as they were getting beaten on. Series by series.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
sectionj wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago The shove of QB Hill out of bounds on the Delaware side of the field was ridiculous. I kept waiting for a flag, late flag, any flag to be thrown and nothing. No way that would have gone uncalled.
Two ref's were right there and neither made the call. If you look at it on replay, which I did, Hill did a nice job with the flop. Hell, he could play in the Premier League. :lol:
Was it a flop? Maybe. But he was shoved after he was out of bounds, that's textbook roughing the passer, flopping or not
It was definitely late. I just went back and looked at the replay on FloFootball. It looked bad in person at the game.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He should have gotten that call, no doubt. He was well out of bounds, even if he was up for the academy award, the push was more than enough to cause the tumble we saw.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago

The defense allowed touchdowns on every first half possession starting with Delaware's second possession of the game. Was the defense gassed after the 4:35 they were on the field for the first possession? Sorry, the defense was bad, and they didn't do themselves any favors by never getting a stop and getting off the field themselves. Did the offense do them favors in the first half? Absolutely not. But the defense did nothing to help themselves
The defense doesn’t just keep the same 11 guys on the field all game long. There are plenty of substitutions. Don’t you think also that the Delaware offense got equally tired from being on the field so long?
Our pass rush had zero sacks. 10 last week? Because they were tired they got zero? Almost zero pressure was out in Henderson from the opening kick off. Consistently no pass rush.
Defensive backs were a step behind the receiver a lot. Because they were tired? Or because the Delaware receivers were simply faster.

Delaware was the bigger, faster, stronger and more talented team on Saturday. That’s why we lost.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think it's more a combination of both.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

As far as the non-penalty goes, I think too often the officials are watching for the aftermath, the spill onto the ground and how severe it is, when that's besides the point, it's the initial action by the culprit that they should be watching and basing the call on. Saying, "he put on a good act" like the stupid color guy was saying on tv, completely misses the point of what the defender actually did.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Delaware’s QB and wide receivers were amazing. His passes were precise and perfect. He avoided socks all game long.
Our defensive backs struggled as the passes were picture perfect.

Credit where it’s due. We were never in the game. Delaware substituted a lot in the 2nd half knowing the game was in the bag.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago The Defense was never going to hold them to no touchdowns, that's a fantasy.

The Defense needed to contain a superior team, and keep them within striking distance, and what you watched was a snowball effect as they were getting beaten on. Series by series.
But I don't remember anyone saying the defense shouldn't have allowed touchdowns, people are saying they needed to have more than one stop in the first half. There's a huge gulf between those two viewpoints. This is Delaware's drive chart in the first half:

DEL 1st DEL21 14:53 Kickoff URI41 10:18 Downs 9 - 38 04:35
DEL DEL14 09:03 Punt URI00 06:34 *TOUCHDOWN 7 - 86 02:29
DEL DEL01 03:27 Punt URI00 14:46 *TOUCHDOWN 8 - 99 03:41
DEL 2nd DEL20 11:21 Interception URI00 06:17 *TOUCHDOWN 9 - 80 05:04
DEL DEL25 04:51 Punt URI00 01:58 *TOUCHDOWN 8 - 75 02:53
DEL DEL25 01:23 Kickoff URI00 00:20 *TOUCHDOWN 5 - 75 01:03

2nd Delaware drive of the day we allow an 86 yard drive. Third drive of the day we allow a 99 yard drive. They shouldn't have been gassed on the second and third drives of the day, if they were, that points to an even bigger issue then just not having it on a particular day against a better team
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, and speaking of the color guy. What is with him? He keeps harping on about how he's from Brown.

The week before he made a comment like "Even Ray Charles could have seen that one". He said it twice for good measure. Really? Ray Charles. This is the year 2022, are you sure Ray Charles is how you want to go on that one? Unbelievable.

This week he was talking about the Delaware QB "feathered it in there". He used that word about 4 times. What is that a local thing? feathering?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, that was my original point.

This is the sport called Football, so fortunately there is a great way, built into the game to improve both the Offense and the Defense, and it's called, if your Defense is suspect, hide that, by keeping them off the field for as much as you can. The Patriots won Superbowls using that strategy.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Then, even more amazing, we'll see if this happens...

When you game plan to protect the Defense like that, all of a sudden after a week or three, they start to have break out games, and then everyone thinks they are wonderful again.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think it comes down to one simple thing that Delaware opened up on URI. Forget everything else.
E1DC7F34-916A-4A15-B1AD-1BC959082FF4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Delaware QB Nolan Henderson named the FCS National Offensive Player of the Week
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

For good reason. He played like a NFL draft prospect.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

🤮🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤢🤢🤢🤢
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
sectionj
Jim Eitner

Unread post by sectionj »

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago For good reason. He played like a NFL draft prospect.
Not big enough, too injury prone.