2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
R.Kelly150 wrote: 1 year ago Write up on one of our OOC opponents.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20923
College basketball in the new penalty free transfer era:
  • 11 new players
  • 9 transfers
  • 2 freshmen

Key New Players:
Cam Carter, Sophomore, Guard, Transfer from Mississippi State
Jerrell Colbert, Sophomore, Center, Transfer from LSU
Dorian Finister, Freshman, Guard
Tykei Greene, Senior, Guard, Transfer from Stony Brook
Abayomi Iyiola, Senior, Center, Transfer from Hofstra
Keyontae Johnson, Senior, Forward, Transfer from Florida
Taj Manning, Freshman, Forward
David N’Guessan, Junior, Forward, Transfer from Virginia Tech
Desi Sills, Senior, Guard, Transfer from Arkansas State
Anthony Thomas, Sophomore, Guard, Transfer from JC
Nae’Qwan Tomlin, Junior, Forward, Transfer from JC
Yes, but Weber was replaced by Tang, large roster turnover does happen with coaching changes.

I must say K-State did bring in some impressive newcomers.
It will take time for them all to jell.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago

The 2022-'23 TV schedule has nothing to do with 4 years of URI basketball. It has ONLY to do with a lousy record LAST year and unknown roster/low projection this year. Is that damage?

And if URI has a 20+ win season this year, then you'll see them more on TV next year. Very simple.

A winning season or projected winning season makes you attractive...and a losing or projected struggling season doesn't. It's why the Bonnies were on TV a lot last year and not so much this coming year. Unless you think Mark Schmidt's program is damaged?
Nope. No damage at all. You’d never know Cox was here. We dodged the NCAA death penalty.
Just so I'm clear. Archie damaged the Indiana program. URI is a basketball factory. They've never had bad seasons? And they've never bounced back? Got it.
Not at all. As long as they didn’t get the Death Penalty there was no damage.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just to give you an idea of how difficult it is to create a good home schedule, check out the OOC slate that Providence College released today. While The Friars have some good OOC away and neutral site game opponents, the same cannot be said for any of the home opponents. This despite being in a strong high profile conference, having a long-time coach, and coming off a NCAA Sweet-16 appearance.

PC Friars OOC Home Schedule
Rider
Northeastern
Stonehill (transitioning to D1)
Merrimack
Columbia
Manhattan
Albany

PC also has an intra-squad scrimmage and exhibitions versus AIC and Assumption at the AMP which season ticket holders might also have to purchase. Friars fans should be very grateful they will at least get a strong BE league home schedule later in the year as there is not much at home to be excited about in the first two months.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Just to give you an idea of how difficult it is to create a good home schedule, check out the OOC slate that Providence College released today. While The Friars have some good OOC away and neutral site game opponents, the same cannot be said for any of the home opponents. This despite being in a strong high profile conference, having a long-time coach, and coming off a NCAA Sweet-16 appearance.

Rider
Northeastern
Merrimack
Columbia
Manhattan
Albany

PC also has an intra-squad scrimmage and exhibitions versus AIC and Assumption at the AMP which season ticket holders might also have to purchase. Friars fans should be very grateful they will at least get a strong BE league home schedule later in the year as there is not much at home to be excited about in the first two months.
I think it’s fair to ask how much of this schedule is due to “difficulty of creating a strong OOC schedule” vs choosing not to?

In the case of PC (and many others) there’s a lot more downside than upside of scheduling tough games early in the season. Your team has less experience playing together and more prone to mistakes. You play in a P6 conference with no shortage of resume building opportunities during your conference schedule.

Use OOC to build chemistry and focus on not blowing up your tournament resume
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No surprise.
P5’s with 20 conference games, talk of going to 22
NIL growing big time at P5’s now that paying players is legal
MTE’s giving P5’s OOC competition at Neutral Sites
Inter conference matchups between P5’s only
Friar Board talking about the impossibility of bringing in good teams
Big East has a bigger distance to fall as the P5’s flex their muscle in the Football World

P5’s rarely visited BE, AAC and Mid Major home courts before but it’s becoming dinasauric now
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Just to give you an idea of how difficult it is to create a good home schedule, check out the OOC slate that Providence College released today. While The Friars have some good OOC away and neutral site game opponents, the same cannot be said for any of the home opponents. This despite being in a strong high profile conference, having a long-time coach, and coming off a NCAA Sweet-16 appearance.

Rider
Northeastern
Merrimack
Columbia
Manhattan
Albany

I think it’s fair to ask how much of this schedule is due to “difficulty of creating a strong OOC schedule” vs choosing not to?

In the case of PC (and many others) there’s a lot more downside than upside of scheduling tough games early in the season. Your team has less experience playing together and more prone to mistakes. You play in a P6 conference with no shortage of resume building opportunities during your conference schedule.

Use OOC to build chemistry and focus on not blowing up your tournament resume
Yup, that schedule seems to be far more about Cooley's chronic chickenshititis condition than inability to get teams into Providence
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I am not surprised either, Ramster.

I think one can watch how the P5 football programs schedule and see future cbb trends, comparisons, etc. that could apply to cbb scheduling.

Some P5 FB programs play one or two easy ooc opponents, some play one easy and one strategically selected difficult opponent and some play more than one difficult opponent.

I would think much thought and foresight goes into the process with regards to how good they think they will be, how experienced their team is, how strong their conference will be, etc. with the goal of playing in a bowl game or gaining a top 4 finish (soon to be 12) to compete for a natty.

It seems like a natural P5 evolution of scheduling if you desire to compete for a natty to limit your potential slip up’s (risk) against perceived weaker opponents ooc. They will look to manipulate the scheduling process more and more to fit their goals. To me, imho, it is counter intuitive to fair competition; it is weak and fearful. After all, does the NBA, NFL or MLB leave scheduling to GM’s and coaches?

I may be off base with that question but, that is how I see it with my limited view from where I sit. The inmates are running the asylum when it comes to scheduling in cbb and the ones with more leverage (including networks) call the shots and, as a fan, I don’t like it but I live with it as I have no influence upon it.

That’s my rant for the day. Back to regularly scheduled programming.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

PC and if fans can careless about their OOC schedule. It means absolutely nothing.
When you have over 50% if not 75% of your conference being considered for the NCAA tournament before the season even begins. Why waste time on your OOC. Its just a bunch of exhibition games!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Perhaps conferences in cbb have served their purpose and are heading towards obsolescence as to usefulness?

They include too many teams, are too wide-spread, dilute natural rivalries, limit the opportunity to play anyone, anywhere, anytime. What good are they?

Not aimed at you, RJV or anyone in particular. I am cranky today.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Don't get too worked up about PC's OOC schedule, it's not a big deal.
Besides they play Miami and Maryland/SLU in the HOF Tip-Off
Also play a decent TCU team in Texas and of course us.

It's actually all about their 20 conference games.

The BE is just fine as far as recruiting and anticipating 6-8 NCAAT bids 22-23.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I hear ya, Jersey. Although, I am unhappy with cbb scheduling in general than anything to do with PC.

I love cbb and have for a long time. Just frustrated with the recent trends and conference machinations. Games that should happen or happen as often, don’t happen anymore as a result. And, that aspect sucks.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rider
Northeastern
Merrimack
Columbia
Manhattan
Albany

This is no surprise because other than the URI or special events like the one that brought Texas Tech to the Dunk last year, PC OOC scheduling struggles and this impacts their OOC attendance which lags the conference games. For example, three of their seven OOC home games drew around 5000 fans. URI experiences a similar difference between conference and OOC games, except that the difference is much less pronounced.

As an interesting aside, URI outdraws PC in all sports with exception of men's basketball. This is understandable given URI has a much larger student body.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Perhaps conferences in cbb have served their purpose and are heading towards obsolescence as to usefulness?

They include too many teams, are too wide-spread, dilute natural rivalries, limit the opportunity to play anyone, anywhere, anytime. What good are they?

Conferences unfortunately don't exist to make the sport better, they exist to make the schools in them better. For the schools and conferences that you're mostly annoyed with the conferences have been very useful in securing the schools an obscene amount of money and exposure
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago

Rider
Northeastern
Merrimack
Columbia
Manhattan
Albany

This is no surprise because other than the URI or special events like the one that brought Texas Tech to the Dunk last year, PC OOC scheduling struggles and this impacts their OOC attendance which lags the conference games. For example, three of their seven OOC home games drew around 5000 fans. URI experiences a similar difference between conference and OOC games, except that the difference is much less pronounced.

As an interesting aside, URI outdraws PC in all sports with exception of men's basketball. This is understandable given URI has a much larger student body.
I didn’t look up to see if accurate, but I believe the last P5 team (other than BC) to come to Providence outside of a conference challenge type thing was Florida in 2006
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Nope. No damage at all. You’d never know Cox was here. We dodged the NCAA death penalty.
Just so I'm clear. Archie damaged the Indiana program. URI is a basketball factory. They've never had bad seasons? And they've never bounced back? Got it.
Not at all. As long as they didn’t get the Death Penalty there was no damage.
As I've stated, to me damage is equated with NCAA sanctions (LSU), NCAA investigation (Memphis, NC State), player mutiny (Billy Gillespie), academic issues (Minnesota), coach abuse of players (Mike Rice), coach scandal (Pitino at Louisville) etc. I don't see any of that with URI.

I see URI had a bad record last year and is not projected this year to be "in the hunt" for anything significant. That's not damage to me, in my opinion. That's been URI hoops a number of times over the years.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Perhaps conferences in cbb have served their purpose and are heading towards obsolescence as to usefulness?

Conferences unfortunately don't exist to make the sport better, they exist to make the schools in them better. For the schools and conferences that you're mostly annoyed with the conferences have been very useful in securing the schools an obscene amount of money and exposure
Point taken. Makes sense but, experience tells me what they have made isn’t enough. There will always be a desire for more revenue hence, the question.

I am looking at cbb conferences like a product. Products have shelf life’s. Revenues, novelty, interest peak and plateau. Eventually, something new and shiny replaces the old product to generate even more interest and revenue.

That said, you are correct some cbb conferences have benefitted greatly and I have been annoyed.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago
Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago

Rider
Northeastern
Merrimack
Columbia
Manhattan
Albany

I didn’t look up to see if accurate, but I believe the last P5 team (other than BC) to come to Providence outside of a conference challenge type thing was Florida in 2006
Florida St, Alabama, and if you choose to count it, Texas, as it was originally scheduled a home-and-home before the creation of the BE/B12 challenge turned it into a challenge home game for PC.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 1 year ago
Awesome!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhodyRams12 wrote: 1 year ago
Thanks for posting, 12. Good insight into and comments on the schedule.

Great background story, too.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is the PC game more likely to be in the early afternoon, late afternoon or at night?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Is the PC game more likely to be in the early afternoon, late afternoon or at night?
I’d guess between 2-5, highly doubt it’s at night.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Still plenty of tome for students to get and stay hydrated, no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The schedule on GoRhody has the PC game being televised by the ESPN Networks (not ESPN+ streaming as most games are noted). I think this means the game will be on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU. My guess is that ESPN will dictate the time based on their desired tv schedule.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

when is the "2022-2023 Overall Prediction Contest" coming out?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For those who don't like our schedule, PC Friars Schedule Lacks Non-League Zip by Kevin Mac

https://www.kevinmcsports.com/featured/ ... eague-zip/
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago For those who don't like our schedule, PC Friars Schedule Lacks Non-League Zip by Kevin Mac

and you should hear the UConn fans talk about theirs.

We don't have NCAA aspirations this year. This year is about building a culture, learning to win. If it means cupcakes then so be it.

Our schedule is near the bottom of things I care about this season. Year 3? Then I'll start to have concerns. But for now? We're fine.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago For those who don't like our schedule, PC Friars Schedule Lacks Non-League Zip by Kevin Mac

PC Athletics doesn't have to have good OOC home opponents to sell tickets. Their Big East Conference home opponents are attractive enough. The Friars just reached the impressive feat of 10,000 season tickets sold which is proof they do not need good OOC opponents on their home schedule to drive ticket sales.

Parente07
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Parente07 »

Anyone know why Jeremy Foumena is in the hospital?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago

PC Athletics doesn't have to have good OOC home opponents to sell tickets. Their Big East Conference home opponents are attractive enough. The Friars just reached the impressive feat of 10,000 season tickets sold which is proof they do not need good OOC opponents on their home schedule to drive ticket sales.

PCs schedule has always been like this. Loaded with cream puffs.

Just KMAC writing an article in it

A lot of these 10,000 season tickets are bought by resellers. Big big bucks to be made on the PC UCONN game

Plus Resellers will buy up the packs for URI that include the PC game. Then the extra tickets will likely go unused if we do in fact finish 11th in A10 as some are predicting. December 3rd will be the biggest crowd in the Ryan Center of the season
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Parente07 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone know why Jeremy Foumena is in the hospital?
HIPPA
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

HIPPA
HIPAA doesn't apply to us, or to the coaching staff. That being said, they're under no obligation to divulge the medical status of a player, unlike the rules of a professional sports league. I'd suspect that Archie will be asked about it the next time he has media availability, or failing that, it wouldn't surprise me if Jeremy posted an update himself, since he already posted once about it on Instagram.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
HIPPA
HIPAA doesn't apply to us, or to the coaching staff. That being said, they're under no obligation to divulge the medical status of a player, unlike the rules of a professional sports league. I'd suspect that Archie will be asked about it the next time he has media availability, or failing that, it wouldn't surprise me if Jeremy posted an update himself, since he already posted once about it on Instagram.

Incorrect. HIPPA does apply to the Coaching Staff. The Athlete must give permission. Coaches can’t make the decision exclusively. Based on what I’ve known in the past and what I just quickly looked up.

Under HIPAA, personal health information can be provided to sports information staff or the media only with authorization from the athlete (Magee et al., 2003). Any sport entity that is covered under HIPAA needs to review its existing practices, policies, and procedures.

https://thesportjournal.org/article/the ... essionals/
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

HIPPA

Incorrect. HIPPA does apply to the Coaching Staff. The Athlete must give permission. Coaches can’t make the decision exclusively. Based on what I’ve known in the past and what I just quickly looked up.

Under HIPAA, personal health information can be provided to sports information staff or the media only with authorization from the athlete (Magee et al., 2003). Any sport entity that is covered under HIPAA needs to review its existing practices, policies, and procedures.

I stand corrected - this wasn't always clear in the past. However, it's HIPAA.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Right. It stands for:

HIPAA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Right. It stands for:

Greeny is only pointing out that you keep using 2 Ps instead of 2 As
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

Right. It stands for:

Greeny is only pointing out that you keep using 2 Ps instead of 2 As
Yep. Got it. Tried it wrong but got the law right.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Easy for Rhody Vault to say 5 years later
Like Thorr is supposed to think of this when he is trying to retain Hurley as Head Coach

Maybe speak more to the underhanded tactics UCONNs former coach used to steal away Hurley. Did UCONNs former HC do Home-Home with Northeastern? Of course not

URI lost home-home capability with UCONN when Dave Gavitt formed the Big East and refused to invite URI. That’s the bottom line. It’s over Rhody Vault. Read the history of the Big East that changed New England Basketball forever.

@RhodyVault
40m
🎧IMO I believe @RhodyMBB
missed an opportunity for a home & home series with
@UConnMBB | Hurley.

URI could have made it part of the buyout. VCU makes this a requirement and has benefitted greatly from this.

🎥Coach Penders willingly played URI after he left
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Read the history of the Big East that changed New England Basketball forever.
Nah, he's A10 Vault Big East Vault now...can't upset his new overlords
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Read the history of the Big East that changed New England Basketball forever.
Nah, he's A10 Vault Big East Vault now...can't upset his new overlords
Blaming URI for URI not having a Home-Home every year with UCONN since Hurley bolted.

It’s all Thorr’s fault because Thorr didn’t build that into Hurley’s contract before Hurley left.

Amazing.

Burning Bridges Vault
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Easy for Rhody Vault to say 5 years later
Like Thorr is supposed to think of this when he is trying to retain Hurley as Head Coach

Maybe speak more to the underhanded tactics UCONNs former coach used to steal away Hurley. Did UCONNs former HC do Home-Home with Northeastern? Of course not

URI lost home-home capability with UCONN when Dave Gavitt formed the Big East and refused to invite URI. That’s the bottom line. It’s over Rhody Vault. Read the history of the Big East that changed New England Basketball forever.

@RhodyVault
40m
🎧IMO I believe @RhodyMBB
@UConnMBB | Hurley.

URI could have made it part of the buyout. VCU makes this a requirement and has benefitted greatly from this.

I'm trying my best to support Vault, but comments like this bothers me.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

@RhodyVault
40m
🎧IMO I believe @RhodyMBB
@UConnMBB | Hurley.

Man, that's annoying. I'm trying my best to support Vault, but comments like this bothers me.
Stevey,

What’s especially odd is its from so long ago. How many Head Coaches have it written into their contract that if they leave they will have an ongoing Home-Home Series with them? Can Rhody Vault give examples of this along with his criticism that URI and Thorr didn’t do that with Hurley?

Maybe Thorr did want to put it in Hurley’s contract and Hurley said No? Nobody knows what goes on in those contract negotiations between HC and AD.

And why 5 years later to bring this up?

It’s like he has an axe to grind with some people.

Can’t blame Archie for not granting RV an interview. Smart move.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

VCU has had a clause in the contract of several coaches that they must agree to a home and home if they were to leave or they must pay a penalty. It is how VCU has hosted schools such as LSU (Wade), Texas (Smart) Alabama (Grant), and Oklahoma (Capel). It however is not a very common item in contracts for other schools.

As for the URI-UConn rivalry, it did not immediately end with the formation of Gavitt's Big East. The Huskies came to Rhode Island to play URI three times after they joined their new league with the last visit being in 1985. The real end of the historic series came about with the start of the 26 year tenure of Jim Calhoun in Storrs in 1986. Since then (roughly 35 years), the two teams have met just four times with all the games being played in CT. The first of these games was in the first month (Dec-1986) of Calhoun's UConn career and was likely already under contract before he even got there.

Even with UConn ending the long time practice of regularly playing URI some 35 years ago, the Rams are still far and away the Huskies all time most played opponent. The two teams have played 143 games with UConn leading the series 74 to 69. New Hampshire is the Huskies next most played team some 30 games behind URI.

URI - UConn Series Games since BE formed (1979-80)
DATE| SCORE | OUTCOME | SITE
12/14/1979 (PCC) | 74-63 | W | H
2/9/1980 | 68-65 | W | A
1/3/1981 (PCC) | 69-74 | L | H
1/29/1981 | 78-75 | W | A
12/15/1984 | 63-93 | L | A
12/14/1985 | 42-55 | L | H
12/11/1986 | 94-96 (OT) | L | A (Calhoun's 1st season)
12/29/1990 | 69-90 | L | N
11/19/1997 | 67-80 | L | A
12/26/2000 | 76-87 | L | A
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

@RhodyVault
40m
🎧IMO I believe @RhodyMBB
@UConnMBB | Hurley.

Man, that's annoying. I'm trying my best to support Vault, but comments like this bothers me.
Stevey,

What’s especially odd is its from so long ago. How many Head Coaches have it written into their contract that if they leave they will have an ongoing Home-Home Series with them? Can Rhody Vault give examples of this along with his criticism that URI and Thorr didn’t do that with Hurley?

Maybe Thorr did want to put it in Hurley’s contract and Hurley said No? Nobody knows what goes on in those contract negotiations between HC and AD.

He's not saying us and UConn should have an ongoing series.

He said that similar to other programs, like VCU, we missed the chance to put a two year, H&H series with whatever school Hurley eventually went to.

I do agree with Vault on this one, as I hoped it was written into Hurley's contract that we would have a two year series with whatever team it was he left for.

I do agree with you though when you say why bring it up after all this time. Pretty pointless.
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And if URI had managed to give Hurley what they eventually gave Miller, this would all be irrelevant. Blame UConn all you want if that’s the narrative you need to believe, but people don’t wait around forever on empty promises. Be glad they learned from it. Miller has been clear- he wasn’t necessarily looking to coach this season, but Thorr and company made a very compelling argument, backed up with tangible resources. I’d love to see UConn play Rhode Island. It might have to be like an ASU thing, though, where it would only end up happening in a tournament.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Stevey,

What's especially odd is its from so long ago. How many Head Coaches have it written into their contract that if they leave they will have an ongoing Home-Home Series with them? Can Rhody Vault give examples of this along with his criticism that URI and Thorr didn't do that with Hurley?

Maybe Thorr did want to put it in Hurley's contract and Hurley said No? Nobody knows what goes on in those contract negotiations between HC and AD.

It's like he has an axe to grind with some people.

Can't blame Archie for not granting RV an interview. Smart move.

He said that similar to other programs, like VCU, we missed the chance to put a two year, H&H series with whatever school Hurley eventually went to.

I do agree with Vault on this one, as I hoped it was written into Hurley's contract that we would have a two year series with whatever team it was he left for.

I do agree with you though when you say why bring it up after all this time. Pretty pointless.
He's bringing it up because Archie, Thorr, and our staff haven't interviewed with him, and he continues to throw little jabs at them. It's incredibly immature...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Stevey,

And how do you know we missed the chance?
How do you know Hurley refuse to agree?
You don’t
And neither does Rhody Vault
What will RV’s next criticism of URI be?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I mean, URI can put it into contracts that they get a right of a home-and-home if a coach leaves, but there's no such thing as a free lunch in a contract negotiation. You're giving up something else in order to get that, whether it's $X off the buyout or a shorter length on the contract. From a quick Google search because I don't remember the details, the buyout for Hurley was roughly $1.25M. Not sure how much it would have cost to get a home-and-home on the table instead - The only people who'd know are probably Hurley and Thorr, and neither one is probably going to answer until they're long retired.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I mean, URI can put it into contracts that they get a right of a home-and-home if a coach leaves, but there's no such thing as a free lunch in a contract negotiation. You're giving up something else in order to get that, whether it's $X off the buyout or a shorter length on the contract. From a quick Google search because I don't remember the details, the buyout for Hurley was roughly $1.25M. Not sure how much it would have cost to get a home-and-home on the table instead - The only people who'd know are probably Hurley and Thorr, and neither one is probably going to answer until they're long retired.
Do you think Archie Miller wanted this in his 5 year contract? So when he leaves URI in 5 years for UCLA then UCLA is required to play URI home and home for the next 10 years? Think that makes Archie more marketable?
Think Hurley wanted that if he went to St John's? Rutgets? Florida, Texas A&M?.......... of course not. He would be less marketable

As it was Thorr and URI could not hold onto Hurley. Hurley was calling the shots because of his 2 NCAA Appearances and 2-2 record. Only NCAA Appearances and only NCAA Wins this Century

Rhody Vault is just Monday Morning Quarterbacking 6 years too late. VCU did not get those Home and Home deals in the contract for free. All Negotiations are give and take on both sides.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thorr and staff have to love this one too......

So if this has been your purpose go ahead and leave URI alone. Your job is done.
I don't want Rhody Vault choosing who should and shouldn't have banners in the Ryan Center Rafters. Not his job.

And while RV is at it criticizing URI for not having had URI-UCONN Home and Home written into Hurley's URI Contract, why not Rhody Vault go after UCONN and Hurley as they only have 1 Player Banner in their Rafters. Only 1. Make that your purpose, apply pressure and then or course do NOT take any credit.

@RhodyVault
Sep 6
🚨Sources have told me that
@RhodyMBB
is looking at dates in Feb. to honor the ‘88 & ‘98 teams. Also, URI is planning to honor several former players which I will not name out of respect for the players.

🎙This has been my purpose, to apply pressure & NO I am not taking credit.