22-23 Starting Five

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 22-23 Starting Five

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If someone voices an opinion on something that isn’t rosy are they going to be called “scared Rhody fans” lol. Is that the new norm?
You’re also an ingrate who doesn’t trust Archie, don’t forget that part.

I think it’s more than appropriate to question what exactly Harris has been doing. He hasn’t played in a real game since early January when he left the team and wasn’t in a position academically to be on campus for either summer session. I still expect him to be in Kingston until someone tells me he’s not, but it’s unfortunate for him and the team that he hasn’t been a part of it yet.

As for the starting line-up, I will be encouraged if more than one big shows enough to make them start two. Until then, I think they go small-ish with four guards.
Harris was not the only player to miss the summer workouts, right?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If someone voices an opinion on something that isn’t rosy are they going to be called “scared Rhody fans” lol. Is that the new norm?

I think it’s more than appropriate to question what exactly Harris has been doing. He hasn’t played in a real game since early January when he left the team and wasn’t in a position academically to be on campus for either summer session. I still expect him to be in Kingston until someone tells me he’s not, but it’s unfortunate for him and the team that he hasn’t been a part of it yet.

As for the starting line-up, I will be encouraged if more than one big shows enough to make them start two. Until then, I think they go small-ish with four guards.
Are you asking a question you already know the answer to?

I care way less about Foumena being there or not. I do care about a player who had already obtained college eligibility and who could be a solid contributor getting a late start.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I care way less about Founema being there or not. I do care about a player who had already obtained college eligibility and who could be a solid contributor getting a late start.
I asked because I thought Foumena had missed but wasn’t sure about whether he missed the entire summer or not. Still don’t know for sure.

Agree, transfers are a bit different from incoming Freshmen, although I do see Foumena in the starting line up - so Foumena missing the summer may hinder him in landing a starting spot from the beginning.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I don’t know if he will start but I am predicting that Rory gets the most minutes of the freshmen - Archie will find a way to make use of a sharp shooting forward in ways we have not seen at Rhody in a long time.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I have come to expect almost nothing from freshmen bigs and then, if they give a team anything, I am pleasantly surprised. It also keeps me from getting too down on guys who could be good once they get more experience.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago I don’t know if he will start but I am predicting that Rory gets the most minutes of the freshmen - Archie will find a way to make use of a sharp shooting forward in ways we have not seen at Rhody in a long time.
I don't know but not giving up on Samb.

There is a reason why Archie wanted him to stay, he pushed Ileri and the twins out the door.
He put on a lot of muscle, has athleticism, and Archie said he was impressed with his shooting touch.

Weston if healthy may also get plenty of minutes.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Regarding Samb, those are compelling insights, Jersey. I tend to lean towards that way of thinking, too. Hope it works out that way because we could use a few bigs in the rotation, I think.
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

I care way less about Founema being there or not. I do care about a player who had already obtained college eligibility and who could be a solid contributor getting a late start.
Foumena came in during one of the later weeks of summer workouts.

I asked because I though Foumena had missed but wasn’t sure about whether he missed the entire summer or not. Still don’t know for sure.

Agree, transfers are a bit different from incoming Freshmen, although I do see Foumena in the starting line up - so Foumena missing the summer may hinder him in landing a starting spot from the beginning.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago I don’t know if he will start but I am predicting that Rory gets the most minutes of the freshmen - Archie will find a way to make use of a sharp shooting forward in ways we have not seen at Rhody in a long time.

There is a reason why Archie wanted him to stay, he pushed Ileri and the twins out the door.
He put on a lot of muscle, has athleticism, and Archie said he was impressed with his shooting touch.

So if What you say is true and Miller pushed Ileri, Makhi and Makhel out the door (I’ve not heard it said that way) and all 3 were not highly thought of by the majority here, then what does it say for Samb to not have been considered for the active roster last season? He can’t be all that much better than them, can he? Would David Cox and staff be that poor a judge of talent as bad as last year’s team was?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

So if What you say is true and Miller pushed Ileri, Makhi and Makhel out the door (I’ve not heard it said that way) and all 3 were not highly thought of by the majority here, then what does it say for Samb to not have been considered for the active roster last season? He can’t be all that much better than them, can he? Would David Cox and staff be that poor a judge of talent as bad as last year’s team was?
I talked to Samb last year down in Florida at the hotel.
He told me after missing a good part of his senior season (foot injury), he felt it was in his best interest to RS.
Wanted the additional time to heal, and needed to improve his conditioning, without losing a year's eligibility.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He told me after missing a good part of his senior season (foot injury), he felt it was in his best interest to RS.
Wanted the additional time to heal, and needed to improve his conditioning, without losing a year's eligibility.
Never heard that. Wouldn’t you think that would have been worth sharing? Instead of fans thinking he was redshirting for other possible reasons? And I’m saying that from a team, coaching and local media perspective. So maybe he is better than I’m thinking since his redshirt was injury dictated.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Never heard that. Wouldn’t you think that would have been worth sharing? Instead of fans thinking he was redshirting for other possible reasons? And I’m saying that from a team, coaching and local media perspective. So maybe he is better than I’m thinking since his redshirt was injury dictated.
Not certain, but I think it was discussed a little some time back.

He had torn several tendons in his ankle and the healing process took awhile.

Missing time his senior/prep season also hurt his recruitment.
He probably would have been ranked much higher by the recruiting services had he played a full season.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Missing time his senior season also hurt his recruitment.
He probably would have been ranked much higher by the recruiting services had he played a full season.
I don’t ever recall his redshirting being due to heath reasons.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Missing time his senior season also hurt his recruitment.
I don’t ever recall his redshirting being due to heath reasons.
Not sure of how healed his ankle was prior to the start of last season but it limited his conditioning and game shape.
It definitely put him behind schedule.

If it was a case where he was absolutely needed maybe the circumstance would have been different in him redshirting.

It usually takes a freshman big a little longer to adjust to this level anyway.

I liked him as a recruit but even more so after speaking with him.
He has a lot of confidence in his ability but also comes across very humble.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Archie said Samb is one of the hardest workers on the team, which I love to hear, but I agree with Ramster. It's worrisome that he redshirted on a bad A10 team. I also talked to Samb and AB together in Florida and sensed that Samb was healthy enough but wasn't ready to contribute. As Jersey stated, part of that was his being behind from his injury.

Archie has also recruited a bunch of bigs. 1. Foumena 2. Rory 3. Bilau 4. Tchikou 5. Meyers 6. KC

Why would Archie bring on so many bigs if Samb had a significant role moving forward? I hope he's fantastic, but I expect all of Cox's players to be gone after this season.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Archie said Samb is one of the hardest workers on the team, which I love to hear, but I agree with Ramster. It's worrisome that he redshirted on a bad A10 team. I also talked to Samb and AB together in Florida and sensed that Samb was healthy enough but wasn't ready to contribute. As Jersey stated, part of that was his being behind from his injury.

Archie has also recruited a bunch of bigs. 1. Foumena 2. Rory 3. Bilau 4. Tchikou 5. Meyers 6. KC

Why would Archie bring on so many bigs if Samb had a significant role moving forward? I hope he's fantastic, but I expect all of Cox's players to be gone after this season.
I think Cox was determined that the twins would eat up most of the minutes in the frontcourt.

Most of us were complaining that Walker needed more playing time.
Also Martin was used sometimes upfront.

Ileri was coming off a RS year.

Where were the minutes going to be for Samb, who was already behind in his conditioning?
He did say that he was still a couple weeks away from going 100% in practice.

Yes, I wouldn't be totally surprised if Archie's roster next season are all his own recruits.
But there there is no guarantee all those players will work out and maybe Samb does have an impact.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Archie said Samb is one of the hardest workers on the team, which I love to hear, but I agree with Ramster. It's worrisome that he redshirted on a bad A10 team. I also talked to Samb and AB together in Florida and sensed that Samb was healthy enough but wasn't ready to contribute. As Jersey stated, part of that was his being behind from his injury.

I think Cox was determined that the twins would eat up most of the minutes in the frontcourt.

Where were the minutes going to be for Samb, who was already behind in his conditioning?

Yes, I wouldn't be totally surprised if Archie's roster next season are all his own recruits.
But there there is no guarantee all those players will work out and maybe Samb does have an impact.
I agree Samb would not have played much last year, so maybe it was best to redshirt him.

I look at it this way. We were going to redshirt Thomas because we also had depth at the guard position. 1. Shep 2. Ish 3. EA 4. Carey 5. Tres (Redshirt)... Malik played a little guard as well... Thomas stood out so much at practice that he played his way into the rotation. Players that make an impact find a way on the floor and earn a spot. That doesn't mean Samb can't make an impact, but that we decided to go with Illeri, a low major prospect at best worries me.

Let's hope he comes out and dominates because we have so many question marks in our frontcourt.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

I agree Samb would not have played much last year, so maybe it was best to redshirt him.

I look at it this way. We were going to redshirt Thomas because we also had depth at the guard position. 1. Shep 2. Ish 3. EA 4. Carey 5. Tres (Redshirt)... Malik played a little guard as well... Thomas stood out so much at practice that he played his way into the rotation. Players that make an impact find a way on the floor and earn a spot. That doesn't mean Samb can't make an impact, but that we decided to go with Illeri, a low major prospect at best worries me.

Let's hope he comes out and dominates because we have so many question marks in our frontcourt.
Yes, there are many question marks in the frontcourt.

Last season Samb had indicated he wouldn't be able to practice at full strength until sometime early or mid-December.
Which put him pretty far behind and wouldn't have made much sense to pull his redshirt, his contribution would have been very minimal.

Just looking at Archie's recruiting, it does look like he will probably move on from the returning players unless of course they make a big impact.

Either way, I trust his judgement on putting together a roster that will compete for conference titles in the near future.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Didn't like the whole team transfer? We have a few holdovers and a bunch of transfers. Then a quick 23 class. I'm not expecting much until next year.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Didn't like the whole team transfer? We have a few holdovers and a bunch of transfers. Then a quick 23 class. I'm not expecting much until next year.
Well Blueram it's the unknown factor that peaks our curiosity this season and makes it a little exciting.
Having no expectations for 22-23, maybe I can relax a little without suffering through disappointments.

I do like our youth movement and very excited about the future.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Didn't like the whole team transfer? We have a few holdovers and a bunch of transfers. Then a quick 23 class. I'm not expecting much until next year.
Well Blueram it's the unknown factor that peaks our curiosity this season and makes it a little exciting.
Having no expectations for 22-23, maybe I can relax a little without suffering through disappointments.

Our future is very bright. We have Archie Miller as our coach.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’ll be happy with consistent game to game improvement.
Slava Ukraini!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

You need to asterisk the no expectations and put my name in the footnotes as an exception !

BUCKLE UP !

NO DOUBT !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago

You need to asterisk the no expectations and put my name in the footnotes as an exception !

BUCKLE UP !

NO DOUBT !
Yep, I figured that.
Try not to get your hopes up too high.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Welcome back NYG!

I love Abdou and Bassy. They are great people. I am pulling for them big time to succeed here.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago Welcome back NYG!

I love Abdou and Bassy. They are great people. I am pulling for them big time to succeed here.
We need NYG for football season that is soon to kick off Thursday Night!!!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

And for uri football and hoops
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago

And for uri football and hoops
And just generally all around cause he's a good dude.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

There will be ample opportunity for several players to be stars and for minutes on the court for almost everyone. Let's hope that this makes the team greater than the sum of its parts.
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Deleted some off-topic posts. Knock it off.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Campus opens tomorrow. I would think Archie expects the entire team back by then.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

68 days seems like a long time.. wish it was more like 8 days.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

With Ant’s (hopefully) delayed entrance.. I think Archie uses a blend of new blood and old blood for the starting five. Here is my estimate for day one.

PG - Bray
SG - Ish
SF - Weston
PF - Malik
C - Fomenea

Second unit features more size. Could see two bigs playing together.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Harris is a tremendous loss. Now that season rickets have been sold, we learn the truth about Harris's availability. Soon we will learn that others are not ready for compete at the A10 level and will be red-shirted. The inevitability of a losing season is in sight. The weak schedule makes sense. The buzz is fading
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Lol I'm more and more convinced R72 is really just an AI bot who was fed years of message board posts and now tries to make their own coherent posts.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe all the KB posters are Bots that feed Rhody72 who is also a Bot
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago With Ant’s (hopefully) delayed entrance.. I think Archie uses a blend of new blood and old blood for the starting five. Here is my estimate for day one.

PG - Bray
SG - Ish
SF - Weston
PF - Malik
C - Fomenea

I’ll always remember on one of David Cox’ Coaches Radio Shows last season when Cox was very complimentary of Malik Martin. He said Martin is 6’2.5” but plays bigger and Martin likes to have the taller number out there. Martin is listed as a G on the Official Roster listed as 6’6”
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago With Ant’s (hopefully) delayed entrance.. I think Archie uses a blend of new blood and old blood for the starting five. Here is my estimate for day one.

PG - Bray
SG - Ish
SF - Weston
PF - Malik
C - Fomenea

I would guess a switch of Samb for Foumena. True freshman big men just take longer to develop unless they are bona fide studs. The other 4 are likely locked in with Carey providing a scoring threat for the bench unit.
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago

PG - Bray
SG - Ish
SF - Weston
PF - Malik
C - Fomenea

I would guess a switch of Samb for Foumena. True freshman big men just take longer to develop unless they are bona fide studs. The other 4 are likely locked in with Carey providing a scoring threat for the bench unit.
I am not so sure Carey will have a bench role this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if even starts or gets substantial minutes.
I think he will be a bigger impact player for us this season than most here think.

Also, I will be surprised if Weston starts from day 1.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Some comments I found interesting in the Blue Ribbon breakdown of our team.

Jalen Carey - Archie said, Carey could be one of the best defenders in the conference, his shot keeps improving, and he's the most athletic player on the team. He feels Carey's ability to make plays in transition is how Archie wants to play.

Ish- He said he's a physical player and has the chance to form a new identity this season.

Bassy- He reiterated what some Bassy supporters had said many times. Bassy has the best IQ on the team. Because of that, Archie feels like he will run our team when he's in the game. However, he didn't bring up his shot improving which worries me.

Bray- Nothing we don't already know. He's the most creative and explosive guard off the dribble. Our best get this season, and he is the "best newcomer" in the A10.

Weston- It sounds like he will need some time to develop, but he could be a game-changer once he does. He'll be able to play and defend multiple positions and will be a tough player to defend in iso situations.

Tchikou- Archie said he has the most upside on the team. He is loaded with talent.

Bilau- Our strongest big, and he has more skill than we think.

Rory- He'll have a role with his ability to hit the 3

Foumena- They only said he'll be a boost to our frontcourt.

After reading that article and the news of Ant, this is my guess.

If we go bigger.

1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Malik
4. Tchikou
5. Bilau

If we go small ball

1. Bray
2. Ish
3. Carey
4. Malik
5. Bilau

If we are focusing on our future. (Deep in conference play)

1. Bray
2. Ant
3. Weston
4. Tchikou
5. Foumena
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Some comments I found interesting in the Blue Ribbon breakdown of our team.

Jalen Carey - Archie said, Carey could be one of the best defenders in the conference, his shot keeps improving, and he's the most athletic player on the team. He feels Carey's ability to make plays in transition is how Archie wants to play.

Ish- He said he's a physical player and has the chance to form a new identity this season.

Bassy- He reiterated what some Bassy supporters had said many times. Bassy has the best IQ on the team. Because of that, Archie feels like he will run our team when he's in the game. However, he didn't bring up his shot improving which worries me.

Bray- Nothing we don't already know. He's the most creative and explosive guard off the dribble. Our best get this season, and he is the "best newcomer" in the A10.

Weston- It sounds like he will need some time to develop, but he could be a game-changer once he does. He'll be able to play and defend multiple positions and will be a tough player to defend in iso situations.

Tchikou- Archie said he has the most upside on the team. He is loaded with talent.

If we go bigger.

1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Malik
4. Tchikou
5. Bilau

If we go small ball

1. Bray
2. Ish
3. Carey
4. Malik
5. Bilau

If we are focusing on our future.

1. Bray
2. Ant
3. Weston
4. Tchikou
5. Foumena
You have Harris in future. Did you mean Leggett?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Some comments I found interesting in the Blue Ribbon breakdown of our team.

If we go bigger.

1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Malik
4. Tchikou
5. Bilau

If we go small ball

1. Bray
2. Ish
3. Carey
4. Malik
5. Bilau

1. Bray
2. Ant
3. Weston
4. Tchikou
5. Foumena
You have Harris in future. Did you mean Leggett?
Nope…Thats the lineup I would like if he ends up becoming eligible later in the year. That’s not going to happen now.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

If we go bigger.

1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Malik
4. Tchikou
5. Bilau

If we go small ball

1. Bray
2. Ish
3. Carey
4. Malik
5. Bilau

1. Bray
2. Ant
3. Weston
4. Tchikou
5. Foumena
Steve, I like your 1st lineup, with maybe Samb interchangeable at the 4.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If we go bigger.

1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Malik
4. Tchikou
5. Bilau

If we go small ball

1. Bray
2. Ish
3. Carey
4. Malik
5. Bilau

1. Bray
2. Ant
3. Weston
4. Tchikou
5. Foumena
Have you ever seen Samb play live?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

If we go bigger.

1. Bray
2. Carey
3. Malik
4. Tchikou
5. Bilau

If we go small ball

1. Bray
2. Ish
3. Carey
4. Malik
5. Bilau

1. Bray
2. Ant
3. Weston
4. Tchikou
5. Foumena
Jersey, I think we would have seen something in the Blue Ribbon article if Samb had a role. Instead, he was the only returning player Archie didn't comment about. That is not a good sign.

From what I read, it sounds like Tchikou and Bilau will get the first crack at minutes in our frontcourt. Rory will have a role as well. It sounds like Foumena will need some time to develop.

If I had to guess, the odd man out is Samb. Based on Cox's track record, that doesn't surprise me. I don't see why Archie would bring on Bilau, Foumena, and Tchikou if he felt Samb would be a part of the rotation and one of the key pieces in our future. Taking commitments from KC and Adrian (I know he's not coming) makes me question Samb's role as well.

I hope he's great, but I think he's been recruited over.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Steve, I like your 1st lineup, with maybe :?: Samb interchangeable at the 4.
Jersey, I think we would have seen something in the Blue Ribbon article if Samb had a role. Instead, he was the only returning player Archie didn't comment about. That is not a good sign.

From what I read, it sounds like Tchikou and Bilau will get the first crack at minutes in our frontcourt. Rory will have a role as well. It sounds like Foumena will need some time to develop.

If I had to guess, the odd man out is Samb. Based on Cox's track record, that doesn't surprise me. I don't see why Archie would bring on Bilau, Foumena, and Tchikou if he felt Samb would be a part of the rotation and one of the key pieces in our future. Taking commitments from KC and Adrian (I know he's not coming) makes me question Samb's role as well.

I hope he's great, but I think he's been recruited over.
Well yeah, and I can be totally wrong about Samb. I just remember the positives Archie said about him early on. Also he looked very athletic and had a nice shot during the summer practice sessions we saw. At this point we don’t know much about any of our bigs.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Lol, just went to twitter and this was the first tweet I saw. Coincidence.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Lol, just went to twitter and this was the first tweet I saw. Coincidence.

Maybe that's a sign :D