2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Players don't progress quickly against weak opponents. I would have preferred that we accepted a buy game against a P5 team. It will be easier to distribute playing time. Pink hats will have a good time.
I disagree, would much rather have the additional home games and build the player's confidence, rather than get blown out at a P5 school.

Both UMass/Lowell and Texas State will provide us with some competition and an opportunity for us to build on.

Believe me Archie isn't going to treat these pre-game workouts and game preparation like a walk in the park.

I think Archie and his staff have a better idea of how to develop these players and what is needed than anyone on this board.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

It’s finalized

Texas State and UMass Lowell added (they’re sucky opponents)
Disappointing
Real bad schedule. I have had season tickets right up before COVID and will probably get them soon, but PC game and pretty much just getting tickets to support the program are the only reason to get them. They have a complete new team which they are obviously nervous about what talent level they are at, but almost impossible to ever make a surprise run at the tourney with this schedule.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

It’s finalized

Texas State and UMass Lowell added (they’re sucky opponents)
Disappointing
Real bad schedule. I have had season tickets right up before COVID and will probably get them soon, but PC game and pretty much just getting tickets to support the program are the only reason to get them. They have a complete new team which they are obviously nervous about what talent level they are at, but almost impossible to ever make a surprise run at the tourney with this schedule.
Sorry but so many here just don't get it.
I can't understand what they expected, just looking at our current situation.

I hope Archie isn't judged by this season alone and fans don't become disillusioned.

Anyone who was concerned about our NET this season or a possible run at the NCAAT need to wake up.

As I said so many times before, I will be pleasantly surprised if we even finish in the top half of the conference.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Would have preferred an away P5 game, which not only gives you a chance for a marquee win but shows you how close you are to being a top program.
We need to be patient with Archie and the rebuild but I think this was a slight misstep.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Note comments from Frank Martin in todays article where he hits on 1 team is holding up release of schedule for 2-3 weeks, difficulty for the A10 being a multi bid league to schedule P5’s and the issue of confidence building for a new coach/new team.

“For three weeks, I had a school that had agreed to play. The guy called me two days ago and said, ‘You're gonna kill me, but I can't play the game’ because he wouldn't sign the contract,” UMass coach Frank Martin said. “I'm hoping that later (Wednesday) I'll be able to confirm it and then people on campus can sign the appropriate contracts so we can release it.”

Martin acknowledged that scheduling is always difficult, especially when taking over a new program. With so much change in college basketball, he’s trying to figure out which games fit UMass.

“We're all over-analyzing each other's rosters. You don't want to under-schedule, but you can get yourself in trouble if you over-schedule, especially when you're trying to build a program,” Martin said. “Confidence is such a big part of building a program, and if you over-schedule, I don't care how hard you work, you're limiting your confidence. Last thing you ever want to do is have young kids lacking confidence.”

He’s also found himself in a position where finding partners has been difficult due to the threat Atlantic 10 teams present.

“The Atlantic 10 is the league that, in our sport, the big programs don't schedule because we're a multi-bid league. They know if they play school whatever from a one-bid league, they’re not losing NCAA spots. When they schedule the Atlantic 10, they’re giving teams in our league which are good enough to beat them (a chance),” Martin said. “It's that caliber of a league the Power 5s, they avoid at all possibilities scheduling the Atlantic 10. If somebody don't like the fact I said that, I used to be on their side, so I know what those conversations were.”

https://www.gazettenet.com/One-game-hol ... e-47755959
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Would have preferred an away P5 game, which not only gives you a chance for a marquee win but shows you how close you are to being a top program.
We need to be patient with Archie and the rebuild but I think this was a slight misstep.
Not me and obviously not the staff.

Archie knows we are far from being a top program right now.
Getting blown out by a marquee program (if they are even willing/able to schedule us) on the road serves no purpose at this time.

As this team matures and develops the schedule will also improve.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Would have preferred an away P5 game, which not only gives you a chance for a marquee win but shows you how close you are to being a top program.
Those kind of games can be fun for the players- a real road trip to a legit location, like the game against Auburn in 12-13. Neither team was very good, but the guys got a chance to play and win on the road.

Also, Jordan Hare got to visit Jordan-Hare.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If this schedule pads the record and helps the program to finish above .500 for the first time in three seasons, is that such a bad thing? Rhody is coming off two back to back losing campaigns where it went 10-15 and 15-16. It takes baby steps to start out a rebuild.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I am in the camp of being okay with this schedule 22-23.

Yes, Bryant would have been nice but not sure that was able to get worked out.

Having 8 OOC home games works out fine for us this season.

I also feel our schedule this year won't have a big effect on attendance.
After dealing with all the limitations of Covid and having Archie and company, plus a new roster, fans will be excited to show up.
Especially if we win the games that we are supposed to.
I think there’s something to be said about student attendance though. Not sure that students care about Archie Miller as much as us. Generally they care about 2 things:

1) Winning. A team with a good record generates buzz. I will say this schedule could set up favorably for that. The average student isn’t looking at our NET to decide if our 10-2 record justifies their attendance. But they’d much rather show out for a 10-2 team over a 5-7 squad

2) Good opponents. The idea of playing a ranked team gets people to the gate. Nothing comparable
Interesting point with #2 in relation to students, Kingston. Heck, I follow cbb and Texas State wasn’t even on my radar before Ramster and others enlightened me today. Turns out they are a solid opponent and I had no idea. Hopefully, the students (and some fans) don’t do the same as me to potentially miss a good game. That would be unfortunate based on the evidence shared here.
Yea the average student will have no idea of that. They either see a brand name college, ones everyone knows we’ll, or see a top 25 number next to it.

I was in the building for the OT win over #21 Nebraska in 2014. Would kill for that type of energy in the Ryan center again.

Also, I think that sadly was the last time URI has played a ranked team at home during our OOC schedule. 8 years ago. Wow.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

This fanbase is amazing. Why are we complaining?

Simultaneously people are saying how we're not going to be good, it will take time - and then get pissed when we don't have an NCAA-caliber schedule.

This isn't an NCAA at-large year. This also isn't a senior laden team. This is a program building exercise, with a multi-year plan. I have no problem watching us beat up on cupcakes this year. I'll have a problem if the schedule looks like this in year 3. Just win the games, and the rest will take care of itself.

Give me a competent basketball team beating lesser opponents in a year when I have no expectations, over what we had to suffer through the last couple years.

BE HAPPY YOU INGRATES. ARCHIE MILLER IS OUR COACH.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rome wasn’t built in a day……or something like that. I love the responses here that state patience and not foolishly expecting. NCAA at large. Go Rhody
Last edited by section(105) 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

"We might suck this year, but if so we should be playing P5 teams and getting blown out by 50!"
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Disappointing

I hope Archie isn't judged by this season alone and fans don't become disillusioned.

Anyone who was concerned about our NET this season or a possible run at the NCAAT need to wake up.

As I said so many times before, I will be pleasantly surprised if we even finish in the top half of the conference.
I hear ya, Jersey. We just don’t all wake up at the same time. Not everyone’s alarm clock is set to the same time - if you catch my drift. Especially when we get old. :)

Just some age related humor from an olding guy.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I almost spit my coffee out all over my phone through my nose and mouth with that ingrates comment. Great stuff! Gotta love this place.

Now I have this image of BlueMan as George C. Scott playing General Patton yelling,ingrates at everyone. Friggin hilarious. I just watched that movie again (for like the 20th friggin time) a few weeks ago so, it’s fresh in my mind. :lol:
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The schedule is perfectly crappy for year 1. Could easily be going into the PC game with only 1 or 2 losses (maybe zero if things start to click...). Hopefully we are playing decent enough basketball by then that the fans who come will come back the rest of the season.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

All I can say is if OB has his contest this year, it's going to be wild. Like shooting a duck blindfolded.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago NET for 2021-2022:

142- URI (14-16)

2022-23 Non-Conference Schedule NET in order from best to worst last season
24-Dec. 3 - Providence (27-6)

Nov. 21 - vs. 69-Kansas State (14-17) (Cayman Islands Classic)
Nov. 22 - vs. 125-Nevada (12-18)/94-Tulane (14-15) (Cayman Islands Classic)
Nov. 23 - vs. TBD (Cayman Islands Classic)

127-Nov. 12 - Texas State (18-8)
141-Nov. 27 - at Boston College (13-20)
158-Dec. 18 - at Georgia State (15-11)
212-Dec. 7 - Brown (11-16)
231-Nov. 7 - Quinnipiac (13-17)
232-Nov. 15 - Stony Brook (17-13)
247-Dec. 13 - UMass Lowell (12-16)
279-Dec. 10 - Army (13-16)
333-Dec. 22 - Milwaukee (9-22)

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2022/net

VCU Releases their OOC Schedule - Last Season NET for each opponent
Oct. 29 TBD (Exhibition)

27/193-Nov. 17 vs. 193-Pitt/27-Michigan
31-Nov. 20 at Memphis
62-Nov. 30 VANDERBILT
100-Nov. 16 vs. Arizona State
111-Dec. 3 at Temple
168-Dec. 7 JACKSONVILLE
174-Dec. 21 NAVY
224-Nov. 26 KENNESAW STATE
249-Nov. 7 MANHATTAN
288-Dec. 14 RADFORD
293-Dec. 17 NORTHERN ILLINOIS
300-Nov. 12 MORGAN STATE
Dec. 11 TBD
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Note comments from Frank Martin in todays article where he hits on 1 team is holding up release of schedule for 2-3 weeks, difficulty for the A10 being a multi bid league to schedule P5’s and the issue of confidence building for a new coach/new team.

“For three weeks, I had a school that had agreed to play. The guy called me two days ago and said, ‘You're gonna kill me, but I can't play the game’ because he wouldn't sign the contract,” UMass coach Frank Martin said. “I'm hoping that later (Wednesday) I'll be able to confirm it and then people on campus can sign the appropriate contracts so we can release it.”

Martin acknowledged that scheduling is always difficult, especially when taking over a new program. With so much change in college basketball, he’s trying to figure out which games fit UMass.

“We're all over-analyzing each other's rosters. You don't want to under-schedule, but you can get yourself in trouble if you over-schedule, especially when you're trying to build a program,” Martin said. “Confidence is such a big part of building a program, and if you over-schedule, I don't care how hard you work, you're limiting your confidence. Last thing you ever want to do is have young kids lacking confidence.”

He’s also found himself in a position where finding partners has been difficult due to the threat Atlantic 10 teams present.

“The Atlantic 10 is the league that, in our sport, the big programs don't schedule because we're a multi-bid league. They know if they play school whatever from a one-bid league, they’re not losing NCAA spots. When they schedule the Atlantic 10, they’re giving teams in our league which are good enough to beat them (a chance),” Martin said. “It's that caliber of a league the Power 5s, they avoid at all possibilities scheduling the Atlantic 10. If somebody don't like the fact I said that, I used to be on their side, so I know what those conversations were.”

Really good quotes Ramster , this is the challenge A10 coaches will find especially when they come from the P5 like Frank and Arch
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Disappointing

I think it is more of an excitement factor when you look at the teams that are coming into the Ryan Center this year outside of PC. Granted as always it is very difficult for URI to get any good non conference games. It doesn't matter if you lose more games to much higher caliber teams or win a bunch of games against the North Texas of the world. Either way you aren't going to have a chance to make the tourney. I didn't believe this team had any shot and still don't, but it would be nice to not have all low end teams coming into the Ryan Center. They obviously have their hands tied for many reasons. I think the following season he will have to get a much stronger schedule together and hopefully that is the plan.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think it is more of an excitement factor when you look at the teams that are coming into the Ryan Center this year outside of PC. Granted as always it is very difficult for URI to get any good non conference games. It doesn't matter if you lose more games to much higher caliber teams or win a bunch of games against the North Texas of the world. Either way you aren't going to have a chance to make the tourney. I didn't believe this team had any shot and still don't, but it would be nice to not have all low end teams coming into the Ryan Center. They obviously have their hands tied for many reasons. I think the following season he will have to get a much stronger schedule together and hopefully that is the plan.
Like I said before as this program improves, Archie will construct the appropriate schedule.
Although it continues to get more difficult to attract top programs to the RC.

I don't think you meant North Texas, which happens to be a very good team.
Last season they finished 1st C-USA (reg season, 25-7, 16-2 conf).
The season before 20-21, they beat Purdue by 9 pts in the NCAAT.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is Dayton's OOC schedule.

The Flyers just missed the NCAA Tournament last year and average about 13,000 at UD Arena every season. While their schedule outside of Dayton is challenging, this is the home slate it is presenting to its large fan base.

Lindenwood (transitioning to D1)
SMU
Robert Morris
Western Michigan
SE Louisiana
UNC-Asheville
Alcorn State
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Like I said before as this program improves, Archie will construct the appropriate schedule.
Although it continues to get more difficult to attract top programs to the RC.

I don't think you meant North Texas, which happens to be a very good team.
Last season they finished 1st C-USA (reg season, 25-7, 16-2 conf).
The season before 20-21, they beat Purdue by 9 pts in the NCAAT.
Insert New Hampshire for North Texas-lol.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

St Louis, a team many project as an NCAA contender just released its schedule. The Billikens team that went 23-12 with an NIT trip last year returns most of its talent.

St Louis fans will be presented with the following home schedule:

Murray St
Evansville
Memphis
Paul Quinn (non D1)
Tenn St
Southern Illinois
Boise St
Drake
SIUE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

We get it, lots of A10 teams have bad home OOC schedules. Yay? Paying fans might not like what they see, but some of these overall OOC schedules put their teams in a good position for tournament consideration. If you root for the conference, hope that these more elite A10 teams do well in their tournaments.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

These are the home slates of four A-10 teams that have released their schedules. All of the teams won over 20 games and participated in either the NCAA (VCU) or NIT last season except for URI which had a losing record. Do you find any one of these slates far more attractive for home fans than the others?

DAYTON
=======
SMU
Robert Morris
Western Michigan
SE Louisiana
UNC-Asheville
Alcorn State

RHODE ISLAND
=============
Quinnipiac
Texas State
Stony Brook
Providence
Brown
Army
UMass-Lowell
Milwaukee

ST LOUIS
========
Murray St
Evansville
Memphis
Paul Quinn (non D1)
Tenn St
Southern Illinois
Boise St
Drake
SIUE

VCU
====
Manhattan
Morgan State
Kennesaw St
Vanderbilt
Jacksonville
TBD
Radford
Northern Illinois
Navy
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago These are the home slates of four A-10 teams that have released their schedules. All of the teams won over 20 games and participated in either the NCAA (VCU) or NIT last season except for URI which had a losing record. Do you find any one of these slates far more attractive for home fans than the others?

DAYTON
=======
SMU
Robert Morris
Western Michigan
SE Louisiana
UNC-Asheville
Alcorn State

RHODE ISLAND
=============
Quinnipiac
Texas State
Stony Brook
Providence
Brown
Army
UMass-Lowell
Milwaukee

ST LOUIS
========
Murray St
Evansville
Memphis
Paul Quinn (non D1)
Tenn St
Southern Illinois
Boise St
Drake
SIUE

VCU
====
Manhattan
Morgan State
Kennesaw St
Vanderbilt
Jacksonville
TBD
Radford
Northern Illinois
Navy
They all look tepid. Good post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

17 pages on the Friars scheduling. Lots of complaint about how they can’t get good teams to come to the Dunk.

It’s not just an A10 issue

P5’s pulling away from the pack. 20 game conference schedules certainly didn’t help this situation.

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 4/?page=17
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago These are the home slates of four A-10 teams that have released their schedules. All of the teams won over 20 games and participated in either the NCAA (VCU) or NIT last season except for URI which had a losing record. Do you find any one of these slates far more attractive for home fans than the others?

DAYTON
=======
SMU
Robert Morris
Western Michigan
SE Louisiana
UNC-Asheville
Alcorn State

RHODE ISLAND
=============
Quinnipiac
Texas State
Stony Brook
Providence
Brown
Army
UMass-Lowell
Milwaukee

ST LOUIS
========
Murray St
Evansville
Memphis
Paul Quinn (non D1)
Tenn St
Southern Illinois
Boise St
Drake
SIUE

VCU
====
Manhattan
Morgan State
Kennesaw St
Vanderbilt
Jacksonville
TBD
Radford
Northern Illinois
Navy
Yeah definitely it’s quite challenging to put a schedule together in a league like the A10 I’m sure when we are ready to compete for an at large Arch will do the best he can to get us the best games
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I disagree, would much rather have the additional home games and build the player's confidence, rather than get blown out at a P5 school.

Both UMass/Lowell and Texas State will provide us with some competition and an opportunity for us to build on.

Believe me Archie isn't going to treat these pre-game workouts and game preparation like a walk in the park.

I think Archie and his staff have a better idea of how to develop these players and what is needed than anyone on this board.
Playing down you get away with bad playing habits and convince yourself that you are better than you are. Playing up prepares you for conference play. You learn more when you lose than when you win. It takes time and repetition to replace bad habits with good habits. Once you get into your conference schedule it is too late to correct these problems. There are many P5 teams that will be better than us but not blow us off the court. This schedule is not conducive to team improvement over the course of the season which is what I am hoping to see. Time will tell if I am right.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago

Playing down you get away with bad playing habits and convince yourself that you are better than you are. Playing up prepares you for conference play. You learn more when you lose than when you win. It takes time and repetition to replace bad habits with good habits. Once you get into your conference schedule it is too late to correct these problems. There are many P5 teams that will be better than us but not blow us off the court. This schedule is not conducive to team improvement over the course of the season which is what I am hoping to see. Time will tell if I am right.
Don’t agree that UMASS-Lowell = NET of 247 last year)”, on December 13 will provide us with competition and something to build on. Sad that we as a program can single out an upstart program like that to compare ourselves against. Says something about how far and how quickly we have fallen. The Cayman Islands Classic will tell you a lot - whether it be good, bad or ugly.

By the time we get to UMASS-Lowell we will know what we have and what we don’t have. In fact, if our starting line up includes Leggett, Carey, Martin and Samb from the Cox era I can pretty confidently know what we have and don’t have after the first game November 7. I can also have a pretty good idea of attendance and fan enthusiasm level after 1 game.

Rhody72,
There are pluses and minuses to both strategies. Easy schedule and tough schedule. We have a combo. PC, Cayman Classic represent 4 games to show strengths and weaknesses.

A good coach can see his/her teams strengths and weaknesses regardless of opponent quality.

But how will you know “if you are right” as you say? What quantifiable data would we use to judge your level of correctness as far as schedule?

You are already questioning Archie Miller with his developing of a too easy schedule before the 1st shot of the Archie Miller era is taken.

NET for 2021-2022:

142- URI (14-16)

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago

Don’t agree that UMASS-Lowell = NET of 247 last year)”, on December 13 will provide us with competition and something to build on. Sad that we as a program can single out an upstart program like that to compare ourselves against. Says something about how far and how quickly we have fallen. The Cayman Islands Classic will tell you a lot - whether it be good, bad or ugly.

By the time we get to UMASS-Lowell we will know what we have and what we don’t have. In fact, if our starting line up includes Leggett, Carey, Martin and Samb from the Cox era I can pretty confidently know what we have and don’t have after the first game November 7. I can also have a pretty good idea of attendance and fan enthusiasm level after 1 game.

Rhody72,
There are pluses and minuses to both strategies. Easy schedule and tough schedule. We have a combo. PC, Cayman Classic represent 4 games to show strengths and weaknesses.

A good coach can see his/her teams strengths and weaknesses regardless of opponent quality.

But how will you know “if you are right” as you say? What quantifiable data would we use to judge your level of correctness as far as schedule?

You are already questioning Archie Miller with his developing of a too easy schedule before the 1st shot of the Archie Miller era is taken.

NET for 2021-2022:

142- URI (14-16)

We will be favored over UMass/Lowell but I think this game like many of the others will keep giving us something to build on.

Ask Dayton and Grant if their game against them last season was competitive and what did they learn from it?
UMass/Lowell does return their top 3 scorers and 4 starters.

We have a lot of unknowns and no proven div. 1 stars on our team.

I doubt Archie will take this game for granted and treat it like a walk in the park.

As for 72 do we really know what went into creating this schedule and which schools Archie contacted?

For this team/roster and under our current circumstances, I have no problem with this schedule.
As a matter of fact, I am glad we have the additional home games.

Archie and company know exactly what they are doing.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Does URI have white vs blue scrimages? Even if its not an open practice, it would be nice to see something related to an actual game prior to the season.
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Yeah definitely it’s quite challenging to put a schedule together in a league like the A10 I’m sure when we are ready to compete for an at large Arch will do the best he can to get us the best games

Miller might be able to strengthen the overall schedule at that time but unfortunately may not be able to improve the home slate much. Dayton, VCU, and SLU are NCAA contenders this year and their home schedules are not any better than URI. Getting strong neutral site games seem to be the best option for A-10 programs these days. These would not just be restricted to the standard MTE's. Would include participation in additional one off events as well.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Even when Archie wins putting together a compelling home schedule will be a challenge. Best you can hope for in a PC year is 1 additional P5 and maybe 2-3 well regarded mid to low majors (ie Vermont, North Texas, Northern Iowa, etc). Where Archie likely will succeed is getting us into compelling MTE events. Maui, Atlantis and a couple of others that usually are full of P5s with maybe 1-2 mid major. That's all we can hope for. Dan got us into those events and we saw that slip off with Cox.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Even when Archie wins putting together a compelling home schedule will be a challenge. Best you can hope for in a PC year is 1 additional P5 and maybe 2-3 well regarded mid to low majors (ie Vermont, North Texas, Northern Iowa, etc). Where Archie likely will succeed is getting us into compelling MTE events. Maui, Atlantis and a couple of others that usually are full of P5s with maybe 1-2 mid major. That's all we can hope for. Dan got us into those events and we saw that slip off with Cox.
Yup, going forward the only way we’ll get guaranteed P5 games are in the MTEs.

Maybe once in a blue moon we’ll get a Seton Hall/Alabama type team to come to Kingston, but if anyone expects that every season they’re going to be disappointed.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Note comments from Frank Martin in todays article where he hits on 1 team is holding up release of schedule for 2-3 weeks, difficulty for the A10 being a multi bid league to schedule P5’s and the issue of confidence building for a new coach/new team.

That last paragraph is a really interesting perspective that I'm not sure we've heard before. We've always heard that conferences like ours struggle to schedule P5 games because of what it does to P5 resumes, but I'm not sure I've ever heard that we struggle to schedule these games because those teams don't want to give us a chance to improve our resumes. Makes a world of sense when you think about it and just shows how rotten the scheduling process is for college sports
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good for FM for making that point. For the P5’s it is too much to lose and little to gain for the tourney and revenue wise. Not exactly in the spirit of competition.

Cbb could use an objective 3rd party scheduling wizard or scheduling guidelines for OOC games only. Have the 3rd party maybe use the NET. If your projected NET is say top 100, 8 of your OCC game have to be against top 100 teams (4 home/4 away), if you are projected top 150, you play 4 top 100, 4 100-150. If you are projected below 150, you play 2 top 100, 2 100-150 and 4 150-the last. That leaves 5 games for a tourney and other neutral OOC games. The 3rd party scheduling wizard sets those 8 games 4 home/4 away while neutral sites and early season tourneys invite who participates.

Heck, if we could send a man to the moon over 50 years ago, we can figure out fair,competitive college bb scheduling. But, I am being naive because the P5’s will never go for giving up control of OOC scheduling.

Finally, as a poster previously posted, the NBE, I believe, is beginning to experience this with home scheduling. I suspected that would happen but with the more marginal NBE cbb programs like DePaul for instance. It will be interesting to see if the P5, P2 or whatever amalgamation comes about will continue the inter-conf challenges with the NBE when those contracts expire.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No surprise to me to see the Big East struggling to land P5 opponents. The P5 Football Schools have no use for the Big East. The Big East has the furthest to fall.

As Frank Martin said, the P5 don’t want to schedule multi-bid Non-P5 Conferences and the Big East typically has the most bids of a non-P5 Conference. No surprise they are steering clear.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you think Martin was including the Big East in that comment, I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t know what the future holds, but for now, it’s P5 and the Big East and then everyone else. The Big East is part of challenges with the Big 10 and the Big 12, and its best teams are consistently in elite tournaments. Duke plays Ohio State in a challenge and that’s about it at home. Do you think that’s because they can’t get opponents?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Even when Archie wins putting together a compelling home schedule will be a challenge. Best you can hope for in a PC year is 1 additional P5 and maybe 2-3 well regarded mid to low majors (ie Vermont, North Texas, Northern Iowa, etc). Where Archie likely will succeed is getting us into compelling MTE events. Maui, Atlantis and a couple of others that usually are full of P5s with maybe 1-2 mid major. That's all we can hope for. Dan got us into those events and we saw that slip off with Cox.

Maybe once in a blue moon we’ll get a Seton Hall/Alabama type team to come to Kingston, but if anyone expects that every season they’re going to be disappointed.
What was the last P5 game at the Ryan Center? Nebraska under Hurley? And that’s a bottle dweller in their conference. That’s also before the 20 game conference schedules.
No P5’s are coming to the Ryan Center
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

What was the last P5 game at the Ryan Center? Nebraska under Hurley? And that’s a bottle dweller in their conference. That’s also before the 20 game conference schedules.

Bama in 2019
Seton Hall in 2020
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Bama in 2019
Seton Hall in 2020

How soon many forget. Tha last P5 Ryan Center opponent was Boston College of the ACC just last November of this past season. Also, Seton Hall is not a P5 team. The P5 schools are only those from only the five major football conferences - Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big-12, and PAC-12.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
Seton Hall in 2020

It was Boston College of the ACC last November of this past season. Also, Seton Hall is not a P5 team. The P5 schools are only those from just the five football conferences - Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big-12, and PAC-12.
Sure, but we all know the Big East is regarded as highly as all of those conferences for basketball. So, in my opinion, getting a Big East program not named Providence to come to the Ryan Center should count.

I keep forgetting BC is an ACC team so I should have included them. Unfortunately, they are so horrible it's hard to view them as an ACC opponent.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We played Boston College last year. Seton Hall two years ago. Alabama three years ago.

But yes, P5’s in Kingston are going to be scarce going forward in my opinion.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seton Hall in 2020

How soon many forget. Tha last P5 Ryan Center opponent was Boston College of the ACC just last November of this past season. Also, Seton Hall is not a P5 team. The P5 schools are only those from only the five major football conferences - Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big-12, and PAC-12.
It’s really P6 these days. Big East is a perennial Top 3 conference in America.

I know people will hate on the Big East and won’t ever give them their due for a multitude of reasons, but can’t deny the facts they are consistently one of the top conferences in the country.
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good points in your earlier post, Ace. However, in my case I am thinking degrees of difficulty (not cessation) with scheduling power conf teams at home as P5 consolidation continues and as the inter-conf challenges the NBE has with P5’s expire.

I am simply speculating off of sign posts like Frank Martin’s comment posted, a KB’ers post regarding comments on the PC board regarding their home scheduling, merger trends, the dominance of football, etc.

There will always be some exceptions, however, as long as the power conferences perceive value in playing a non-power school away (not talking a neutral venue). Time will tell if and when how close my speculation comes to realization.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Bama in 2019
Seton Hall in 2020
Seton Hall is not P5
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We played Boston College last year. Seton Hall two years ago. Alabama three years ago.

But yes, P5’s in Kingston are going to be scarce going forward in my opinion.
Seton Hall is not P5

In referring to Frank Martin’s comment…….the P5’s do not want to give opportunities to any Multi-Bid non-P5’s
Note also Friar Board 17 pages on scheduling whereby complaints are that they can’t get P5 Teams to the Dunk.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seton Hall in 2020

Correct - Seton Hall is not P5
Forgive me for forgetting Boston College is a P5. They are a terrible P5, but P5 nonetheless. Being so bad and so close plus Mike Leprey is at BC (formerly of URI during Hurley years)
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seton Hall in 2020

It’s really P6 these days. Big East is a perennial Top 3 conference in America.

I know people will hate on the Big East and won’t ever give them their due for a multitude of reasons, but can’t deny the facts they are consistently one of the top conferences in the country.
Read What Frank Martin said. He even states that he came from P5 South Carolina. He says the P5’s do NOT want to give non-P5 teams from Multi-Bid Conferences the opportunity to play them. If the P5 school were to lose then that inflates the status of the non-P5 team.

This explains why Non-P5 trams have huge difficulty scheduling P5’s.
Straight from a P5 Head Coach.