Horace Pappy Owens Next Podcast Guest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Horace Pappy Owens Next Podcast Guest

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys,

I don't know if you know how great a player Horace "Pappy" Owens was as a high school All-American and leader in many statisctical categories including top 4 scorer of all time at Rhody.

I just wanted to see if you have any questions for him.

Thanks

Scott Brand
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Horace Pappy Owens Next Podcast Guest

Unread post by reef »

Really good get Scott, he was a shade before my time so I didn’t see him play much @ all

How did he like playing for Claude English ???
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

One of Jack Kraft’s first blue ribbon recruits.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I have three:
-- How on Earth did we get him and who else was after him?
-- Was he seriously considering transferring to St. Joe's?
-- What is he doing now?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Great get, Scott. Excellent.

An all-time favorite player of mine.

I knew Pappy while at Rhody. That’s over 40 years ago. Ooph, that was a looooong time ago.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Greatest High School Class ever in 1979
Pappy scored 18 points to lead the East over the West

1. What are his greatest memories of the McDonalds All America Game?
2. Can he show us the Ring he got from playing in that game?
3. What was it like to play with the human highlight film Dominique Wilkins in the McDonalds AA Game?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/rec ... id=4017799
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Back in the day, Street and Smith was the bible for college recruiting. The description for Horace Pappy Owens was, "He shoots jump shots like we breathe." He certainly lived up to his billing and had Mark Upshaw not suffered his horrible injury, that would have been another of our great teams.
For those who don't remember, Mark was Claude's cousin.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago Back in the day, Street and Smith was the bible for college recruiting. The description for Horace Pappy Owens was, "He shoots jump shots like we breathe." He certainly lived up to his billing and had Mark Upshaw not suffered his horrible injury, that would have been another of our great teams.
This was a good article about Marc Upshaw. Sam Mitchell, who is mentioned in the article who was friends with Upshaw in Columbus Georgia went to Georgia State then went to the NBA. Upshaw was a tremendous talent.

https://web.uri.edu/quadangles/new-play ... Pk.twitter
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I remember when Marc went down with the injury. Horrible feeling. Had the same feeling when EC went down.

Marc had tremendous talent. What could have been, if he was fully healthy.

Loved watching that team.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Pappy was recruited by Billy Hahn. Note Dame wanted him badly.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago Back in the day, Street and Smith was the bible for college recruiting. The description for Horace Pappy Owens was, "He shoots jump shots like we breathe." He certainly lived up to his billing and had Mark Upshaw not suffered his horrible injury, that would have been another of our great teams.
Great quote.

Pappy made the game look easy. He was smooth on out on the floor.

Great catch Cam…I forgot all about Marc being Claude’s cousin. Hahaha! KB is like having a memory backup when mine fails.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

My earliest Rhody memories are of Pappy...and grew to know him later in life. Few years ago he helped me get my biz partner's son on the floor for a Lasalle game doing layups with the team. Great guy, great player. He should be in the rafters.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I wholeheartedly echo Bar’s sentiments.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Wow. I underestimated the range of your knowledge of the players. I thought Pappy would not have so much engagement. I was wrong. I will use all of this. I even found a video when he played for the Rams. BTW he is Silk's cousin.

Thanks as alway guys.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I remember when Marc went down with the injury. Horrible feeling. Had the same feeling when EC went down.

Upshaw blew out his knee in a game against Ohio U. in the Mental Hospital Invitational at the Dunkin' Dump. Pappy went nuts -- 28 points, 14 rebounds -- and despite the fact that Ohio won the game and the tournament Pappy was named most outstanding player.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I remember riding up to the Dump in school buses from campus for the games we played there. Those rides were tough on the kidneys.

Thanks for the reboot. My memories are fuzzy, but coming back little by little.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago Really good get Scott, he was a shade before my time so I didn’t see him play much @ all

How did he like playing for Claude English ???
Quick Claude English story…

I remember being at summer basketball camp at PC (I know, I know…PC :lol: ) when I was 11-12. Claude was a guest at camp. We were in Alumni Hall. He had someone throw their hat up on the backboard. The hat was dangling off the top of the backboard and Claude proceeds to jump and grab it off. The campers went nuts.

Boy, could Claude jump through the roof. And, IIRC, that was post knee surgery after an knee injury derailed his pro career.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I remember when Marc went down with the injury. Horrible feeling. Had the same feeling when EC went down.

Upshaw blew out his knee in a game against Ohio U. in the Mental Hospital Invitational at the Dunkin' Dump. Pappy went nuts -- 28 points, 14 rebounds -- and despite the fact that Ohio won the game and the tournament Pappy was named most outstanding player.
Excellent memory, Red.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I remember riding up to the Dump in school buses from campus for the games we played there. Those rides were tough on the kidneys.

Thanks for the reboot. My memories are fuzzy, but coming back little by little.
And, the beers didn’t help the ride or my recollection…it appears.
Nor that grain alcohol punch we use to make. Yikes!

College years :lol: Thank God it was only four years. Oooph
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Greatest High School Class ever in 1979
Pappy scored 18 points to lead the East over the West

Q1. What are his greatest memories of the McDonalds All America Game?
Q2. Can he show us the Ring he got from playing in that game?
Q3. What was it like to play with the human highlight film Dominique Wilkins in the McDonalds AA Game?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/rec ... id=4017799
More on the East - West McDonalds game that the East won 106-105 in OT and Pappy Owens had 18 points for the East squad.

Q4. I’d heard that URI was recruiting Sydney Green that year and he was a good possibility for Rhode but opted for UNLV. What does Pappy have to say about that? And Sydney’s Green’s talent.

From the max preps article:
I still consider the 1979 senior class as the greatest ever and I was privileged to see them play in five different all-star games. This phenomenal group included the likes of 7-3 Ralph Sampson, 7-1 Sam Bowie, 6-9 James Worthy, 6-9 Sidney Green, 6-9 Antoine Carr, 6-8 Clark Kellogg, 6-7 Dominique Wilkins, 6-7 Darren Daye, 6-3 Dirk Minniefield, 6-1 John Paxson and 6-1 Isiah Thomas.

The McDonald's game was held in Charlotte (N.C.) that year and it truly was a wild shootout. The East nipped the West, 106-105, in overtime before a sold-out crowd of 11,666. Daye earned MVP honors with 22 points and 14 rebounds. However, the winners shot just 40 percent and the losers 36.4 percent as each team fired 110 times. Everybody but Paxson gunned it with reckless abandon. The most impressive statistic was 28 blocked shots.
Ralph Sampson was part of talented 1979 class.
Ralph Sampson was part of talented 1979 class.
Photo courtesy of McDonald's.
Sampson blocked 10 shots that night – still a McDonald's record.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/news/G8mGlzK ... .htm?amp=1
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Excellent memory, Red.
Now ask me what I had for breakfast.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Excellent memory, Red.
Now ask me what I had for breakfast.
What did you have for breakfast? :)
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m watching this right now freakin outstanding , definitely top 3 for me

Incredible footage of the 78 Duke game didn’t realize we were up 3 with under 1 minute left , we definitely missed a couple easy shots there or we would have won
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks Reef. Sly carried the team that game and we had so many chances to win.

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Great interview and great game video. Thanks, Scott. Fantastic job.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’m watching this right now freakin outstanding , definitely top 3 for me

Incredible footage of the 78 Duke game didn’t realize we were up 3 with under 1 minute left , we definitely missed a couple easy shots there or we would have won
That Duke game is one of my most painful sports memories
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Finally got the chance to tune in.

I was always a Pappy fan, surprised we were able to land him as a recruit.

Thanks Scott, enjoyed listening to him.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I’m an old dude. I was at the Duke game in 1978 😢
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago I’m an old dude. I was at the Duke game in 1978 😢
I watched it on campus at the Union. Gut wrenching. Possibly could have won a national championship that year.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago I have three:
-- How on Earth did we get him and who else was after him?
-- Was he seriously considering transferring to St. Joe's?
-- What is he doing now?
Kraft got Sly and Jiggy, so not a shock that he got Pappy too.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pappy is a really good interview , his knowledge was amazing URI and college hoops in general

If we beat Duke we would have played Penn then Nova both games in Providence
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks guys. I was happy to hear that Pappy was the reason that Cuttino came to URI.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Scott what other guests you working on for the pod ??
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
I watched it on campus at the Union. Gut wrenching. Possibly could have won a national championship that year.
The end of that game was agonizing. I replayed those last few misses over and over in my head for days. Brutal.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Yes it was agonizing. I wish I had the sound from the video.

Reef I have Connor Dubsky coming up next week and the one I am really excited about is Coach Kenny Johnson. Also, I may have Stevie Cosens the one who broke the news on the KC signing but he has been hard to pid down. He disappears. And then a special report with Tre McGlynn who picks a URI team of candidates from overseas who should be considered to play on a potential URI TBT team. I would like to get a competing team of candidates from you guys as well.

I will be asking everyone to provide questions for Connor on his thread as well as coach Johnson.

Thanks for asking.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Yes it was agonizing. I wish I had the sound from the video.

Reef I have Connor Dubsky coming up next week and the one I am really excited about is Coach Kenny Johnson. Also, I may have Stevie Cosens the one who broke the news on the KC signing but he has been hard to pid down. He disappears. And then a special report with Tre McGlynn who picks a URI team of candidates from overseas who should be considered to play on a potential URI TBT team. I would like to get a competing team of candidates from you guys as well.

I will be asking everyone to provide questions for Connor on his thread as well as coach Johnson.

Thanks for asking.
Wow Scott, you were able to navigate through Shane to interview Kenny, very good.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

No. Coach Johnson liked one of my tweets and started following me. I emailed him and we are planning the podcast after Connor's interview. My ultimate goal in life which sounds small is to interview Archie and/or Cuttino.

But I sound like a broken record, I can' thank you guys enough about becoming excited about the program and benefitting from your knowledge since I joined during the Sponge days. I have made some great friends here and I hope to meet up with you whenever I take in a game maybe at the Coast Guard House.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago No. Coach Johnson liked one of my tweets and started following me. I emailed him and we are planning the podcast after Connor's interview. My ultimate goal in life which sounds small is to interview Archie and/or Cuttino.

But I sound like a broken record, I can' thank you guys enough about becoming excited about the program and benefitting from your knowledge since I joined during the Sponge days. I have made some great friends here and I hope to meet up with you whenever I take in a game maybe at the Coast Guard House.
Have you tried getting in touch with Sly?
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Good one. I will start with Pappy and maybe the players on the 78 team.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Good one. I will start with Pappy and maybe the players on the 78 team.
Sly and Stan Wright would be great. Unfortunately, Jiggy has passed.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I agree. I would really enjoy interviews with Sly and Stan
Wright, too.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Okay I will try to find Stan first.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Yes it was agonizing. I wish I had the sound from the video.

Thanks for asking.
Really good guests Scott

Stan Wright is on Facebook he would probably do it he always posts old pics from his URI days
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
The end of that game was agonizing. I replayed those last few misses over and over in my head for days. Brutal.
I know I just watched it again we had two bunny putbacks that would have put us up 3 with about 20 secs left