It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by ramster »

URI Coaching Staff at Peach Jam Final 4 for 16U this afternoon - Class of 2024

In Good Company

steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

sounds like a great addition to the staff. Reminds you how connected Archie is to the inner circles of CBB.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Good interview. Archie talked about scheduling difficulties and mentioned going out to New Mexico and St Mary's as possibilities.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Good interview. Archie talked about scheduling difficulties and mentioned going out to New Mexico and St Mary's as possibilities.
One thing he said that caught me off guard was about having his two seniors go out with a bang.....Malik Martin and Jalen Carey.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

One thing he said that caught me off guard was about having his two seniors go out with a bang.....Malik Martin and Jalen Carey.
I figured this was his final year based on the way we’ve been recruiting 23s. This is his 5th year right? It makes sense for him to move on after this season so he can get some $$$ overseas for as long as he can.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

https://www.997wpro.com/podcasts/
If anyone wants to listen
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

I figured this was his final year based on the way we’ve been recruiting 23s. This is his 5th year right? It makes sense for him to move on after this season so he can get some $$$ overseas for as long as he can.
Yes Stevey, makes complete sense.
I would have been surprised if he returned for his 6th year.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

But he is still listed as a R-Junior, but I guess that's just on paper.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago But he is still listed as a R-Junior, but I guess that's just on paper.
Yes, our roster seems to list the player's year by their eligibility rather than actual class.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago https://www.997wpro.com/podcasts/
POS website keeps playing the Ed Cooley interview. Is there a direct link to the Archie interview?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Thanks!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago https://www.997wpro.com/podcasts/
Really good listen , we got a stud with this head coach . I loved his answer about scheduling, it’s going to be a challenge but he will put us in a place to succeed
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Miller sounded very comfortable in this interview. Maybe he’ll be less accessible to the media after a couple tough losses but I think he’ll be fine with the media.
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice comments from several former Dayton players who played for Archie. Red Scare plays at 6pm tonight in the Semi-Finals of The Basketball Tournament

Scoochie Smith says he plans to visit Archie in RI later this summer

A spirited and loud discussion about Archie Miller took place toward the end of the first Red Scare practice on Tuesday at UD Arena. It would have made a good podcast if anyone had been recording the conversation.
All seven of the former Flyers on the team’s roster for The Basketball Tournament were recruited by Miller, who coached Dayton from 2011-17. After four seasons at Indiana and one year away from coaching, he’s now entering his first season at a rival Atlantic 10 Conference school, Rhode Island.
Miller’s name will come up often among his former players this week and in the days ahead as the memories flood back and the team prepares to play at UD Arena at 3 p.m. Sunday. They wonder how he might coach the group.
“It would be a typical Archie practice,” said former Dayton guard Scoochie Smith, who helped lead Miller’s teams to four straight NCAA tournament appearances. “High intensity. An hour and a half to two hours of competing and getting after it. You don’t score, you get screamed at. You get scored on, you get screamed at. Just bringing that competitive nature.”

Smith plans to visit his former coach in Kingston, R.I., later this summer, and he’ll still root for him when Rhode Island’s not playing Dayton.
“It’s going to be a little tougher now that he’s in the A-10,” Smith said, “but I’m happy for him.”
That was the common theme among the players who talked about Miller on Thursday during a meet-and-greet with fans at Hunny Bee’s Crispy Fried on Brown Street.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... KZMNN7JMU/
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Nice comments from several former Dayton players who played for Archie. Red Scare plays at 6pm tonight in the Semi-Finals of The Basketball Tournament

Scoochie Smith says he plans to visit Archie in RI later this summer

A spirited and loud discussion about Archie Miller took place toward the end of the first Red Scare practice on Tuesday at UD Arena. It would have made a good podcast if anyone had been recording the conversation.
All seven of the former Flyers on the team’s roster for The Basketball Tournament were recruited by Miller, who coached Dayton from 2011-17. After four seasons at Indiana and one year away from coaching, he’s now entering his first season at a rival Atlantic 10 Conference school, Rhode Island.
Miller’s name will come up often among his former players this week and in the days ahead as the memories flood back and the team prepares to play at UD Arena at 3 p.m. Sunday. They wonder how he might coach the group.
“It would be a typical Archie practice,” said former Dayton guard Scoochie Smith, who helped lead Miller’s teams to four straight NCAA tournament appearances. “High intensity. An hour and a half to two hours of competing and getting after it. You don’t score, you get screamed at. You get scored on, you get screamed at. Just bringing that competitive nature.”

Smith plans to visit his former coach in Kingston, R.I., later this summer, and he’ll still root for him when Rhode Island’s not playing Dayton.
“It’s going to be a little tougher now that he’s in the A-10,” Smith said, “but I’m happy for him.”
That was the common theme among the players who talked about Miller on Thursday during a meet-and-greet with fans at Hunny Bee’s Crispy Fried on Brown Street.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... KZMNN7JMU/
This is awesome. Great find.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

The fat lady is warming up and I am coming out of retirement soon (?)… and y’all know you missed me even tho you deny it !

The hills are alive with the sound of music
With songs they have sung for a thousand years
The hills fill my heart with the sound of music
My heart wants to sing every song it hears
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

BUCKLE

U
P
!
!
!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, we've gone from bands like Queen to Julie Andrews?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago So, we've gone from bands like Queen to Julie Andrews?
Archie and the team must Climb Every Mountain, so to speak.
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago So, we've gone from bands like Queen to Julie Andrews?
He's also recruiting players who are 16, going on 17. :lol:
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
He's also recruiting players who are 16, going on 17. :lol:
☝️Pretty pretty good…
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

These posts are some of my favorite things.
Slava Ukraini!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

These posts are going down like a spoonful of sugar.

As an aside…Got to love ECR’s positivity and persistence. Go Rhody!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are suffering through the doldrums of summer need some URI hoops
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I still get giddy from this hire...from the "could it be possible?" off the hints from the "I'm hearing whispers" Zagoria tweet, to the even more where there's smoke there's fire rumors to when Thiel and others broke the news, then to the press conference day itself! Going to give it a re-listen!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I still get giddy from this hire...from the "could it be possible?" off the hints from the "I'm hearing whispers" Zagoria tweet, to the even more where there's smoke there's fire rumors to when Thiel and others broke the news, then to the press conference day itself! Going to give it a re-listen!
Yeah, we are all still extremely excited about the Archie hire, I was initially very doubtful it would even happen.

But I will be giddy when we start competing for conference titles and get NCAAT bids.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey, I like the confidence of your last sentence above. Can’t wait to experience that again. Go Rhody!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I still get giddy from this hire...from the "could it be possible?" off the hints from the "I'm hearing whispers" Zagoria tweet, to the even more where there's smoke there's fire rumors to when Thiel and others broke the news, then to the press conference day itself! Going to give it a re-listen!
Totally agree it’s hard not to get giddy about this hire and it’s going to be fun to watch the climb up the standings as it seems inevitable over time
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Excellent video. Thanks, Stevey.

An intelligent, well spoken coach. We are fortunate to have him on staff. Great addition by Archie.

If we play smart,fundamentally sound basketball with high effort, we will be in most games. Make a few plays near and at the end of games and we will grab our share of wins and make a run at an NIT bid.

These video’s get me hyped. I better self regulate my exposure before my doctors will smack me down. Let’s gooooooooo!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I met Kenny at the season ticket holder event. He's a very impressive guy.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good find love these videos
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Don't forget the contributions from the President, CEO and SVP of the Archie Miller Fan Club. :)
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

So we have a coach who screams at his players. I hope this doesn't happen at games. Screaming usually losses its effectiveness real fast. When it worked is a thing of the past.

I suspect that by screaming is meant that he is a stickler for detail and doesn't overlook sloppy play in practice or games. Harrick was this way. I hope it is Archie's way as well.
NCAAs or Bust!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

🙄
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago So we have a coach who screams at his players. I hope this doesn't happen at games. Screaming usually losses its effectiveness real fast. When it worked is a thing of the past.

I suspect that by screaming is meant that he is a stickler for detail and doesn't overlook sloppy play in practice or games. Harrick was this way. I hope it is Archie's way as well.
Agreed. Look at Dan Hurley. He never yelled at his players during the games. Whenever one of our guys missed an assignment or showboated, he quietly had them come over to the sidelines, put a nice butt cushion and back massager on their chair, and asked them as pleasant as humanly possible not to do that again. One word for that. COACHING.

Here are some great examples.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

What do you not get? That person posts to stir the pot and usually throws out opinions that go against what most are saying, which is why there is no internal consistency. There’s no “gotcha” to be had. That’s just what they do, and it’s been happening for years.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 1 year ago What do you not get? That person posts to stir the pot and usually throws out opinions that go against what most are saying, which is why there is no internal consistency. There’s no “gotcha” to be had. That’s just what they do, and it’s been happening for years.
Yes, we all know this. I enjoy having a back and forth with 72, so I'm going to continue to respond. Especially in August.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody 72 is right to be concerned. Archie clearly has anger management issues. David Cox was always calm, collected - almost somnambulant - and look how successful he was. 🤓
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I love an animated Coach. Its passion.
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

HEART BABY ❤️
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I love an animated Coach. Its passion.
I prefer this style as well. We have seen successful coaches that are nuts and some that are cool and calm on the sidelines. Cox could have lost his mind after every possession, and that wouldn't have changed that he was a weak head coach. He watched the twins make horrible decisions and miss 10000 free throws a game, but he kept doing the same thing repeatedly.

I don't think Archie likes when his players miss critical free throws.

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Until he gets ejected multiple times, he's no Dan Hurley :)
What's a clipboard here or there....
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Arch , I love the passion as well give me more Arch and DH and less Cox
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Passion is good. That said, just be who you are. You can’t be what you are not because the players (and fans) will sniff it out.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago What do you not get? That person posts to stir the pot and usually throws out opinions that go against what most are saying, which is why there is no internal consistency. There’s no “gotcha” to be had. That’s just what they do, and it’s been happening for years.
This is the type of response one gets from fanatics who believe 100% in Archie. I don't believe for a moment that he screams incessantly at his players or else he never would have been as successful as he has been. Most coaches who are successful screamers, scream at refs, media etc who are not supportive of players or their program. While I'm an Archie supporter, I'm a URI supporter first and foremost. GO RHODY!!!
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
This is the type of response one gets from fanatics who believe 100% in Archie. I don't believe for a moment that he screams incessantly at his players or else he never would have been as successful as he has been. Most coaches who are successful screamers, scream at refs, media etc who are not supportive of players or their program. While I'm an Archie supporter, I'm a URI supporter first and foremost. GO RHODY!!!
I got so confused reading this I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

But you were 100% in on Cox. Less than a year ago. That should cause you long introspective stares into the abyss while you consider your choices.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL