Whose # should be up in the rafters?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Whose # should be up in the rafters?

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I found an old post from Rod discussing this very subject.

Post by rodfromcranston » 5 years ago

Ha! HA!
Only Ernie Calverley's number 3 is retired for MBB.
Back after Sly declared he was going pro,
they decided to retire his number.
I went to the ceremony, so I can attest to this.
Well, someone at URI decided to be sanctimonious
and unretired Sly's number 35.
Why? Because he didn't graduate.
So, Mergin Sina, and Luther Clay, among others,
have since worn Sly's old number.
Only URI could muck up retiring a number.

This is the thread: http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?t=6649#p312236
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Damn I wish Rod were still around.
Slava Ukraini!
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Trust me as a class of 1967 graduate and with all due respect to Rod , Sly's # 35 was retired and reported in the news as being so !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Falcon wrote: 1 year ago Trust me as a class of 1967 graduate and with all due respect to Rod , Sly's # 35 was retired and reported in the news as being so !
When was that?
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

As I stated above it was announced by Zarchen at the Marriott . Not sure what year ? I was in attendance and confirmed it years later through the Warwick Beacon sports' archives when it became an issue like it is now . Do not think that I still have a copy of the article . Will check but in the mean time , research it your self as I did back then ! TRUST ME . It happened !!!!
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Zarchen's last year at URI was 1981 and Sly played against Duke in 1978 . That is the 3 year window to use when researching the retirement of his # 35 by Zarchen .
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tried but I could not find anything on Sly Williams’ number having been retired. Maybe someone else can find it. I don’t personally remember this happening but that certainly doesn’t mean to infer it didn’t

Good luck to whoever wants to take this on. I’d retire Sky’s number if nobody else.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

Way over the top from you here. Not everyone stalks this message board all day, every day like you do. So yes, it took ATP 5 days to come up with that response as he's trying to catch up with everything. So sensitive...
Took him 5 days to bash me.
Make me look like an idiot for posting something about Curry. Maybe read the post thoroughly and realize the article was noting Curry could finally be put in the rafters because he returned to Davidson to graduate.

Instead make me look like a fool, an idiot. Because an article about Curry didn’t make sense in a URI thread about rafter numbers.

Got the reaction he was looking for.

As I said, I don’t care who gets put up in the rafters. Just don’t make me look like a fool, then call me sensitive? Read the article, digest it - before making the person who posted it look stupid.

And if you do “poke the bear” and and then bear bites back - play the “so sensitive” card to defend the poke. Haha.
Maybe instead of posting a random Davidson tweet with no commentary, you bring up how certain players of ours wouldn't be eligible if we follow the same rules. You know, tie the whole point together in one post
I posted this info because I thought it was relevant to the thread about numbers in rafters.
An NBA SuperStar from Davidson could not get his number retired at Davidson unless he graduated. He graduated this year so his number is being retired.
I did NOT post it because I thought Curry’s number should be in the rafters of the Ryan Center as a moderator took from my post.

I’ll try to be more clear next time, although some posters understood the relevancy of the Curry/Davidson/Graduation Requirement post without additional commentary.

As I said previously, I’m fine with Calverley, Washington and Carothers. If I added one banner in the rafters it would be Sly Williams (Hands down), but I get the Graduation Requirement.

B77E687E-51FA-48F7-AFDD-09B32F55705E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCONN retired their first and only numbers 4 years ago.
Ray Allen for MBB
Rebecca Lobo for WBB

In 2017, Lobo was the first UConn player inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Allen was enshrined in September.
Lobo led the UConn women's team to a 35-0 record and the first of 11 national championships in 1995. She wore No. 50 and finished her career with 2,133 points, 1,268 rebounds and 396 blocked shots. She played seven seasons in the WNBA.
Allen was a first-team All-American in 1996. He scored 1,922 points at UConn and led the men to an 89-13 record during his three years in Storrs. He went on to play 18 seasons in the NBA, becoming the most prolific 3-point shooter in league history.

Ray Allen attended UCONN for 3 years. He then went in the NBA Draft. He did not graduate from UCONN

Similar story to Sly Williams. 3 years at URI then went NBA Draft.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... atform=amp
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Where' is it engraved in stone that graduation is a REQUIREMENT to have one's # retired ?? You don't see URI Athletics refusing a multiple 7 figure recent donation from an attendee who for whatever reason never graduated from the university ! Maybe they should return the $$$ until he gets a diploma from URI . SERIOUSLY. !!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Falcon wrote: 1 year ago Where' is it engraved in stone that graduation is a REQUIREMENT to have one's # retired ?? You don't see URI Athletics refusing a multiple 7 figure recent donation from an attendee who for whatever reason never graduated from the university ! Maybe they should return the $$$ until he gets a diploma from URI . SERIOUSLY. !!!!
It’s not a requirement. Caruthers did not graduate from URI.

Calverley I’d the only MBB Player and Washington the only WBB.

Not much history here.

4 year careers going way of the dinosaur.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

He also was not a former athlete and HAD no number , a symbolic gesture ? Should not be up there !
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I found an old post from Rod discussing this very subject.

Post by rodfromcranston » 5 years ago

Ha! HA!
Only Ernie Calverley's number 3 is retired for MBB.
Back after Sly declared he was going pro,
they decided to retire his number.
I went to the ceremony, so I can attest to this.
Well, someone at URI decided to be sanctimonious
and unretired Sly's number 35.
Why? Because he didn't graduate.
So, Mergin Sina, and Luther Clay, among others,
have since worn Sly's old number.
Only URI could muck up retiring a number.

This is the thread: http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?t=6649#p312236
Solid research @billyboy78 ! Well done, thx.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Dimes to dollars , Mr. Sanctimonious was one , Jim Norman , SID ! And by the way how does one UNRETIRE a player's # after it was retired ?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

To be clear, I’m fine with just Washington, Calverley and Carruthers in the rafters - just the way it is.

I only posted about Curry because I found it interesting that another A10 school would require a superstar NBA player like Curry have his degree from Davidson.

In todays world of paying players, 1800 transfer per year, fan interest dropping in college basketball, G-League Ignite, Really doesn’t matter to me who is or isn’t in the rafters.
Anyone fine with Carothers being in the rafters probably shouldn't have a say in who does and doesn't belong
What about Carothers makes you not want him in the rafters?
He already has the library named after him and he did nothing to deserve an athletics honor. Pretty simple. Why do you want him up there?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Anyone fine with Carothers being in the rafters probably shouldn't have a say in who does and doesn't belong
What about Carothers makes you not want him in the rafters?
He already has the library named after him and he did nothing to deserve an athletics honor. Pretty simple. Why do you want him up there?
I’m asking the 3 of you who said his name shouldn’t be up there in the rafters as to why. No reasons were given so I’m curious as to why each of you think his name should come down seeing as how it’s been up there throughout the Ryan Center. This subject has been around for some time so I thought a discussion could be had as to the pros and cons.
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

If Sly's # 35 retirement can be ignored or reversed certainly Dr. Bob's bogus jersey should be lowered and REMOVED ! With ALL the great players that have played for URI this is very Mickey Mouse and quite honestly very embarrassing to our program .
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Ramster - to answer your question, I admittedly don't have solid reasoning for strongly disliking Carothers. More anecdotal than anything else, but it is the offseason so why not give a long winded response which really has no factual argument.

I was a freshman in 2007 and chose URI as an out of stater because I did not want to go to any of the state schools in NY. When I got to URI, I immediately fell in love with our school, but as I continued to get involved in the school I couldn't help but think that Carothers was not doing enough for URI. It really kinda felt like at that point he wasn't doing much of anything. I understand he had to try and get URI away from the U-R-High, #1 party school days. He was successful in that endeavor, but now URI had no identity. We were no longer a "party" school on the same level as other state universities, our sports SUCKED, our academics were certainly nothing to make us stand out. I also don't think I could tell you what Bob Carothers looked like because I don't know that I ever saw the man for those last couple years he was there. I would also pass blame onto him and his administration for the ill-will between URI Students and the town of Narragansett. I am sure that situation had been building pressure for decades, but his administration essentially closed it's eyes to the problems of having a large share of students living off campus in a town that very clearly does not want students (even if it would be to their own detriment). In an attempt to make URI less of a party school, his administration essentially pushed students off campus. Big surprise, students just kept partying but instead of doing it on campus where the university could at least have some control, they made it the towns problem. I still find it hilarious that we had "Fraternity Circle", yet it was dead on most friday/saturday nights. I would visit friends at other big state schools (Penn State, Indiana, Maryland, etc...) and their fraternity/sorority areas looked like Newport after Oktoberfest (I am also still upset that they moved Oktoberfest to Providence).

To me, URI was on the brink of disaster when Carothers left. Maybe I just have rose colored glasses for Dooley, but URI has vastly improved in almost every single facet during his tenure (although I can't speak for the party life).
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Carothers stood by football,got Ryan Center built. He wasn't perfect. Bad hires in FB & hoops for example.
URI got better with him (after Eddy-whoa).
He was pretty good at fund raising. I think the endowment or some major association had like $10K in it when he took over?
Brian Forster
ARD

Did the Mackal center & hockey rink get built under Carothers ?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Did the Mackal center & hockey rink get built under Carothers ?
Mackal opened in 1991 - the year Carothers started
$12 million Boss and $54 million Ryan Center were under Carothers.
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

NO president should have a bogus jersey hanging in the rafters ! If he deserved to be recognized or honored by URI there are many other ways to do that but certainly not at the expense of all of those great athletes who wore the Keaney Blue , MICKEY MOUSE .
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago Ramster - to answer your question, I admittedly don't have solid reasoning for strongly disliking Carothers. More anecdotal than anything else, but it is the offseason so why not give a long winded response which really has no factual argument.

I was a freshman in 2007 and chose URI as an out of stater because I did not want to go to any of the state schools in NY. When I got to URI, I immediately fell in love with our school, but as I continued to get involved in the school I couldn't help but think that Carothers was not doing enough for URI. It really kinda felt like at that point he wasn't doing much of anything. I understand he had to try and get URI away from the U-R-High, #1 party school days. He was successful in that endeavor, but now URI had no identity. We were no longer a "party" school on the same level as other state universities, our sports SUCKED, our academics were certainly nothing to make us stand out. I also don't think I could tell you what Bob Carothers looked like because I don't know that I ever saw the man for those last couple years he was there. I would also pass blame onto him and his administration for the ill-will between URI Students and the town of Narragansett. I am sure that situation had been building pressure for decades, but his administration essentially closed it's eyes to the problems of having a large share of students living off campus in a town that very clearly does not want students (even if it would be to their own detriment). In an attempt to make URI less of a party school, his administration essentially pushed students off campus. Big surprise, students just kept partying but instead of doing it on campus where the university could at least have some control, they made it the towns problem. I still find it hilarious that we had "Fraternity Circle", yet it was dead on most friday/saturday nights. I would visit friends at other big state schools (Penn State, Indiana, Maryland, etc...) and their fraternity/sorority areas looked like Newport after Oktoberfest (I am also still upset that they moved Oktoberfest to Providence).

To me, URI was on the brink of disaster when Carothers left. Maybe I just have rose colored glasses for Dooley, but URI has vastly improved in almost every single facet during his tenure (although I can't speak for the party life).
You couldn't help but think Carothers wasn't doing enough, because he wasn't doing enough. The first half of his tenure he did a lot of necessary things to improve the University, but when his contract came up in 1999 and the state almost didn't renew him he decided he was going to stick around to get his pension and do almost nothing to improve the school. Instead of being a strong advocate for the University he became an absentee president sticking around to grab a check. If the state doesn't renew his contract in 1999 he would have been rightfully remembered as a transformative president, instead there were another 10 wasted years tacked on to his presidency
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Carothers stood by football,got Ryan Center built. He wasn't perfect. Bad hires in FB & hoops for example.
He was pretty good at fund raising. I think the endowment or some major association had like $10K in it when he took over?
"Stood by football"? That's a pretty interesting way for someone supposedly in the know about football to describe the situation since those in the know realize that his handling of the fraternity fight nuked the program
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago Ramster - to answer your question, I admittedly don't have solid reasoning for strongly disliking Carothers. More anecdotal than anything else, but it is the offseason so why not give a long winded response which really has no factual argument.

You couldn't help but think Carothers wasn't doing enough, because he wasn't doing enough. The first half of his tenure he did a lot of necessary things to improve the University, but when his contract came up in 1999 and the state almost didn't renew him he decided he was going to stick around to get his pension and do almost nothing to improve the school. Instead of being a strong advocate for the University he became an absentee president sticking around to grab a check. If the state doesn't renew his contract in 1999 he would have been rightfully remembered as a transformative president, instead there were another 10 wasted years tacked on to his presidency
Plus, it was under Carothers the school enacted new rules that punished students at the school for things they did off-campus. Get caught buying booze underage? One semester of probation. Get into a fight outside Charlie O's? Possible expulsion. At the time that seemed like some serious overreach just to try and clamp down on the "party school" reputation.

Also, to show how professional he is - I remember looking him up in the directory and his official URI email address was muskrat@uri.edu...yes, fucking muskrat - not the first initial/last name format like everyone else...muskrat. Really made everyone want to take him seriously.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Carothers stood by football,got Ryan Center built. He wasn't perfect. Bad hires in FB & hoops for example.
"Stood by football"? That's a pretty interesting way for someone supposedly in the know about football to describe the situation since those in the know realize that his handling of the fraternity fight nuked the program
I saw this bozo "sub-tweet" you in another thread and was so confused but it seems like he was replying to this one? Giving Chris Partridge a bad name.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..ABC……anybody but Carothers….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Brian Forster
ARD

Hey Rhody Kylie-did I get under your skin?
I will be at most of the FB games-will you? Or maybe a hoop game?
We can meet up there-no sense you hiding behind the anonymity of the internet when other options are available.
Park in Keaney,walk into the tailgate area. Its free,so fits your budget.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Hey Rhody Kylie-did I get under your skin?
We can meet up there-no sense you hiding behind the anonymity of the internet when other options are available.
I'm flattered you're asking me out on a date but I don't date freaks.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

freaks can be fun to date.

Psychos on the other hand...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Hey Rhody Kylie-did I get under your skin?
Better get tickets early - for sure a sellout
Preseason Delaware Ranked #20 Athlon Sports is our 1st home game and a big one.
Tailgating will be huge being 1st home game, Delaware and nice weather
Get to tailgating by Keaney early too!!
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Steph Curry just completed his degree at Davidson and they retired his number last night. Long overdue!