Whose # should be up in the rafters?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Whose # should be up in the rafters?

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Lamar was not a better college player than Sly.
So, let's set this right. What is the criteria for a banner? College career? Lifetime career? NCAAT career? What is most important?
What they did at URI. At least, that's what I think.
One example regarding two great teammates. Tommy Garrick had a pretty good career in the NBA. Silk Owens did not play in the NBA. But Silk 100% deserves more recognition than Tommy for his career here. And I love Tommy Garrick.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think a number up in the rafters needs to be really special. Not just generational. I saw the 88 team and the 98 team. They were great. And historically great for URI. But, rafters is a different animal. That should be a special player. I think we could start by removing Carothers banner. That's addition by subtraction.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I think a number up in the rafters needs to be really special. Not just generational. I saw the 88 team and the 98 team. They were great. And historically great for URI. But, rafters is a different animal. That should be a special player. I think we could start by removing Carothers banner. That's addition by subtraction.
Silk was a special player, as was Sly. I never saw Calverly, but he certainly was special in his time from what I've read. Start with those three. And put Frank Keaney with them.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I still like the ring of honor thing have a ceremony but I’m not for retiring of numbers
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

You only have to look a few posts back……………….

Yes, I posted Pappy was 10X the player Fatts was. Like a lot of things people post on this board, there's no way to disprove that statement/opinion. 3x better, 5x better...take your pick. Fatts is not even in Pappy's class...whether at URI or in the history of Philly high school hoops.

Fatts' history at URI is characterized by what? And now at Maryland in his single year there? He made nobody better around him. Did talented guys transfer out of the program because of Fatts' ball domination, reckless shooting, and lack of his leadership ability to make URI a true team? We'll never know.

From my perspective, I'd love to play with certain players as my teammates. I don't think guys would say they loved playing with Fatts. (or Eric Leslie, or Herb Dixon, the Celtics Antoine Walker)
Nobody said that Pappy wasnt 10x the player Fatts was - like you said, that’s subjective and probably hyperbolic but the point that he was clearly a better player isn’t in dispute.

The thing I took exception to is that the only person that brought up Fatts Russell in comparison to Pappy Owens was you. Nobody was talking about that. It was a complete non sequitor seemingly motivated by the fact that you are constitutionally incapable of not being argumentative, even if you have to completely make up a counterargument to respond to.
TruePoint...you are correct. I am a contrarian. Not all the time, but a lot of the time. Despite that my wife still loves me (coming up on 20 years) and my boys still laugh at me. And I know you like me too...because I have game programs from 1984 URI season sitting in my basement. Who keeps that crap around? I do.

Just trying to make the point that Pappy was great, Fatts was not, despite his "one shining moment" in the OU game. I was thinking about this later. Here's a comparison, although they played different positions:

Malcolm Butler, historic play in the NE Patriots history. No question! But not deserving of being in the Pats Hall of Fame. = Fatts
Bruce Armstrong played on mostly bad (and a few good) Pats teams. No question, he belongs in the Pats Hall of Fame. = Pappy
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

So, let's set this right. What is the criteria for a banner? College career? Lifetime career? NCAAT career? What is most important?
What they did at URI. At least, that's what I think.
One example regarding two great teammates. Tommy Garrick had a pretty good career in the NBA. Silk Owens did not play in the NBA. But Silk 100% deserves more recognition than Tommy for his career here. And I love Tommy Garrick.
100% agree with Billyboy here. Both regarding Silk greater than Garrick...and Sly better than Lamar. College career accomplishment in TOTAL is what we are looking at.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed it’s an honor for what they accomplished at URI; it’s not a lifetime achievement. It also has to remain special so lots of factors including individual stats, team performance, historical significance. If it were my call it would be:

Round 1: Sly, Silk, Calverly, Chubin

Round 2: Wheeler, Mobley, maybe 1 other from 60s/70s but I didn’t see them play to identify who that could be. Leave that to those that saw it.

That would be it. Everyone else honored elsewhere. I really wanted to include Kenny Green as our best big man ever but that seemingly opens a can of worms with 6-8 other guys who had similar impact.

That’s if we are going to truly “retire” numbers and put them in the rafters.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

There are a lot of players who are that "next tier" who will probably never have a banner in the rafters, but were still great, like ARD.

Here's one of my favorites. Some of my best memories in college were attending URI games with my brother, walking over from ZBT, and watching this guy...

Meet the player who beat Michael Jordan but was not good enough for the NBA
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

jcru wrote: 2 years ago There are a lot of players who are that "next tier" who will probably never have a banner in the rafters, but were still great, like ARD.

Here's one of my favorites. Some of my best memories in college were attending URI games with my brother, walking over from ZBT, and watching this guy...

Great find! I wonder whether they let him wear his Band-Aid.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

jcru wrote: 2 years ago There are a lot of players who are that "next tier" who will probably never have a banner in the rafters, but were still great, like ARD.

Abdul is one of my all time faves as well. Was such a smooth offensive player. Another example of Al Skinner’s innate eye for talent.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Agree on the players mentioned. But don't we have to put Frank Keaney in the rafters? After all, he is the one responsible for creating the history of our program.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Agree on the players mentioned. But don't we have to put Frank Keaney in the rafters? After all, he is the one responsible for creating the history of our program.

And as several have already mentioned, put Keaney’s name on the court, too.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Abdul is one of my all time faves as well. Was such a smooth offensive player. Another example of Al Skinner’s innate eye for talent.
Abdul Fox was a transfer into URI...from of all places, St. Peter's.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I agree with Round 1, but Jiggy should definitely be in Round 2 Along with Art Stephenson.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RAM67 wrote: 2 years ago I agree with Round 1, but Jiggy should definitely be in Round 2 Along with Art Stephenson.
Jiggy is my all-time favorite, but I give Tyson the ever so slightest edge on Jiggy. But they are both legendary URI PGs, right behind Silk.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Soooo we should put Curry's number up in the Ryan Center rafters?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Roland Fiore
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Andre Berry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Soooo we should put Curry's number up in the Ryan Center rafters?
Yes. That’s the exact point of the post. Put Curry’s name up in the Ryan Center. :roll: Took you 5 days to come up with that snarky response?

To further elaborate my point:

Curry is getting his name up because he came back and got his degree - otherwise no number retired despite his amazing NBA achievements.

This rules out Lamar Odom, Sly Williams, and other past and future Rams without degrees IF URI follows those same rules.

I thought it was an applicable story seeing as how Curry just won another NBA Championship, played for Davidson. Plus Thorr and our new president have been talking about retiring numbers recently.

I personally don’t care much about whether numbers go in the rafters or not, but I know it’s of interest to many posters here now so I posted the Curry/Davidson story.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Soooo we should put Curry's number up in the Ryan Center rafters?
Yes. That’s the exact point of the post. Put Curry’s name up in the Ryan Center. :roll: Took you 5 days to come up with that snarky response?

Curry is getting his name up because he came back and got his degree - otherwise no number retired despite his amazing NBA achievements.

This rules out Lamar Odom, Sly Williams, and other past and future Rams without degrees IF URI follows those same rules.

I thought it was an applicable story seeing as how Curry just won another NBA Championship, played for Davidson. Plus Thorr and our new president have been talking about retiring numbers recently.

I personally don’t care much about whether numbers go in the rafters or not, but I know it’s of interest to many posters here now so I posted the Curry/Davidson story.
Way over the top from you here. Not everyone stalks this message board all day, every day like you do. So yes, it took ATP 5 days to come up with that response as he's trying to catch up with everything. So sensitive...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

Way over the top from you here. Not everyone stalks this message board all day, every day like you do. So yes, it took ATP 5 days to come up with that response as he's trying to catch up with everything. So sensitive...
Took him 5 days to bash me.
Make me look like an idiot for posting something about Curry. Maybe read the post thoroughly and realize the article was noting Curry could finally be put in the rafters because he returned to Davidson to graduate.

Instead make me look like a fool, an idiot. Because an article about Curry didn’t make sense in a URI thread about rafter numbers.

Got the reaction he was looking for.

As I said, I don’t care who gets put up in the rafters. Just don’t make me look like a fool, then call me sensitive? Read the article, digest it - before making the person who posted it look stupid.

And if you do “poke the bear” and and then bear bites back - play the “so sensitive” card to defend the poke. Haha.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Roland Fiore
To be clear, I’m fine with just Washington, Calverley and Carruthers in the rafters - just the way it is.

I only posted about Curry because I found it interesting that another A10 school would require a superstar NBA player like Curry have his degree from Davidson.

In todays world of paying players, 1800 transfer per year, fan interest dropping in college basketball, G-League Ignite, Really doesn’t matter to me who is or isn’t in the rafters.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year agoAndre Berry
I don’t care who is in the rafters.

Leave Calverley, Washington and Carothers.

Curry had to get his degree before Davidson would retire his number. My only point in posting the article.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Anthony Baskerville
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nobody

If Sly Williams can’t go up in the rafters then why bother
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I'm 77. My wife was just commenting about how thin my skin was getting. I just brushed it off.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2022/0 ... on-palmer/

USC NIL'd away the Bilitnikoff winner from Pitt and then unretired a number for him!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like a ring of honor to honor the players , don’t really see the need to retire numbers
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

#3 hanging good enough for me. No Rhode Island player comes close.

Ramster post about Curry is solid in my view. Explanation of Davidson position on Curry number retirement is relevant to this thread.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I've probably said it before, but give me something with Frank Keaney up in the rafters.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

Took him 5 days to bash me.
Make me look like an idiot for posting something about Curry. Maybe read the post thoroughly and realize the article was noting Curry could finally be put in the rafters because he returned to Davidson to graduate.

Instead make me look like a fool, an idiot. Because an article about Curry didn’t make sense in a URI thread about rafter numbers.

Got the reaction he was looking for.

As I said, I don’t care who gets put up in the rafters. Just don’t make me look like a fool, then call me sensitive? Read the article, digest it - before making the person who posted it look stupid.

And if you do “poke the bear” and and then bear bites back - play the “so sensitive” card to defend the poke. Haha.
Maybe instead of posting a random Davidson tweet with no commentary, you bring up how certain players of ours wouldn't be eligible if we follow the same rules. You know, tie the whole point together in one post
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

To be clear, I’m fine with just Washington, Calverley and Carruthers in the rafters - just the way it is.

I only posted about Curry because I found it interesting that another A10 school would require a superstar NBA player like Curry have his degree from Davidson.

In todays world of paying players, 1800 transfer per year, fan interest dropping in college basketball, G-League Ignite, Really doesn’t matter to me who is or isn’t in the rafters.
Anyone fine with Carothers being in the rafters probably shouldn't have a say in who does and doesn't belong
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Nobody

If Sly Williams can’t go up in the rafters then why bother
Sly Williams doesn't deserve the honor of having his number retired after what he did in the early 2000s
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Anyone fine with Carothers being in the rafters probably shouldn't have a say in who does and doesn't belong
"Demon rum, begone!"
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

:lol:

I haven’t heard that saying in a long time. It never fails to make me laugh.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Curry had to get his degree before Davidson would retire his number. My only point in posting the article.
FIFY.

I no longer wish harm upon the man, but certainly do not wish to see him celebrated in any way/shape/form.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My rafters have Sly’s name on a banner. I don’t care about graduation technicalities
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

FWIW - Nearly every Davidson fan I've ever spoken to has said categorically that the decision was some administraion BS and they didn't agree with it.

His number deserved to be in the rafters in front of the fans who were lucky enough to see him play there.

Add me to the list for Sly!!!
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

One number - 3
One additional name - Keany

Rafters are for legends. Place a prominent ring of honor in the most trafficked/visible area. Reserved for all those who have had a significant impact. This is a big group, and can include non-graduates like Lamar.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think it's tough to put a "requirement" on what constitutes an impact to this program. But I do think it should be a transcendent player - preferably one on a team that did something special.

Obviously Calverley should stay. (Carothers can GTFO). Sly would qualify. Silk too. Potentially Garrick. Tyson. Cuttino. ARD. Odom. EC. Hass. Terrell.

That would be the list for me. Whether or not those are the "best" players in URI history isn't the argument. And that's why URI has an athletic hall of fame.

Tough to retire numbers for college basketball since it's so limited. And if you want to keep it "special" you need to keep the list elite. But hanging banners with a name and number is fine - you just don't "retire" that number per se.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I think it's tough to put a "requirement" on what constitutes an impact to this program. But I do think it should be a transcendent player - preferably one on a team that did something special.

Obviously Calverley should stay. (Carothers can GTFO). Sly would qualify. Silk too. Potentially Garrick. Tyson. Cuttino. ARD. Odom. EC. Hass. Terrell.

That would be the list for me. Whether or not those are the "best" players in URI history isn't the argument. And that's why URI has an athletic hall of fame.

Tough to retire numbers for college basketball since it's so limited. And if you want to keep it "special" you need to keep the list elite. But hanging banners with a name and number is fine - you just don't "retire" that number per se.
Sly also can't be in the URI Hall of Fame because he didn't graduate. He didn't graduate because he was a first round pick in the NBA .Such a stupid rule.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

What about Carothers makes you not want him in the rafters?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I think it's tough to put a "requirement" on what constitutes an impact to this program. But I do think it should be a transcendent player - preferably one on a team that did something special.

Reasoning on Carothers?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago

FIFY.

I no longer wish harm upon the man, but certainly do not wish to see him celebrated in any way/shape/form.
Why? What is your reason (s)?
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Ed Eddy
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Question regarding a degree as a requirement for athletic hof or a rafter banner: Would an honorary degree suffice?

Great volley, Brian!

Ed Eddy! I can barely remember him. He was President when I graduated and was our keynote speaker that year. One thing I remember of his speech (paraphrasing)…Don’t sink to the underbelly of mediocrity. Inspiring! (sarc)
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Actually he went by Ted Eddy. I interviewed him a couple of times in my newspaper days. I was impressed with him personally though athletics languished under his tenure.
Slava Ukraini!
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Sly's # was actually retired by AD Moe Zarchen many years ago during a Fast Break Club meeting at the Providence Marriott . It probably never made it to the rafters because of Jim Norman's : " He never graduated . " , BS ! Someone with high computer skills could easily verify this in the Warwick Beacon archives as I did in another lifetime ago , however not very easily, LOL !!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I can verify that Zarch retired #35
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !