Season Ticketholder Event Wed May 4th 5:30 PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Season Ticketholder Event Wed May 4th 5:30 PM

Unread post by ace »

I’m not concerned because I don’t think even Archie really believes what he’s saying. It gets him buy-in and patience. He’s saying the popular thing, when a lot of fans are frustrated by the transfer process, and the thing that most coaches wish was still possible. C’mon, he’s a Miller. He’ll be cutthroat and calculating when he needs to be.
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Not to beat a dead horse, but how can Bryant have replays and we can’t. Is their system so low tech that it is as simple as adding a cable to do it? There must be plenty of extra people now that we sell beer at the concession stands. I kind of got used to not having it, but going to a game that has it does make for a better fan experience.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I’m not concerned because I don’t think even Archie really believes what he’s saying. It gets him buy-in and patience. He’s saying the popular thing, when a lot of fans are frustrated by the transfer process, and the thing that most coaches wish was still possible. C’mon, he’s a Miller. He’ll be cutthroat and calculating when he needs to be.
LOL, deep down I probably agree with you Ace.

Archie will do whatever he needs to do in order to turn this program into a winner as we go forward.
It may not happen this season but watch out.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago It's going to be interesting to see how Archie's strategy plays out long term. In theory it's great to try and build a team through 4 year players that can develop at URI, but with the transferring as prevalent as it is now it could be another school benefitting from that development. To be clear I am not making any predictions one way or another, I just think it'll be fascinating to watch play out over the years.
I agree with this. Not sure it is the best approach (not sure it is not either) but will be interesting to see how it plays out. The focus on the transfer portal may lead to a higher level of freshman being available for a school like Rhode Island, but it only works if they don't bolt at the first opportunity to play at a bigger school. Let's hope Miller is successful doing it this way, but this does fly in the face of what is going at most schools right now.
Time will tell if Archie's approach will be successful.

Obviously Frank Martin's feeling is a little different and looking for an immediate fix through the portal.

I still feel in our case Archie will bring in a few veterans from the portal to fill out the roster.
But going forward that is probably not his primary focus.
Archie has made a point about players not in the rotation more likely to leave. He said this when mentioning that it doesn’t make sense to fill all 13 scholarship spots any more unless you have a player(s) redshirting. He felt more players not in the rotation can cause more dissension in this day of the no sit transfer.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Archie feels he made mistakes in roster building in Indiana, taking individual players with not enough thought on the whole. He won't do that again so he's going slow.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago

I agree with this. Not sure it is the best approach (not sure it is not either) but will be interesting to see how it plays out. The focus on the transfer portal may lead to a higher level of freshman being available for a school like Rhode Island, but it only works if they don't bolt at the first opportunity to play at a bigger school. Let's hope Miller is successful doing it this way, but this does fly in the face of what is going at most schools right now.

Obviously Frank Martin's feeling is a little different and looking for an immediate fix through the portal.

I still feel in our case Archie will bring in a few veterans from the portal to fill out the roster.
Archie has made a point about players not in the rotation more likely to leave. He said this when mentioning that it doesn’t make sense to fill all 13 scholarship spots any more unless you have a player(s) redshirting. He felt more players not in the rotation can cause more dissension in this day of the no sit transfer.
There will always be some players unhappy with their court time.

Not sure how many spots he will fill.
I usually like to see all the scholarships taken (if you have it use it) but not just on someone taking up space (possible RS). IMO

Need a bench aside from just rotational guys.
Players developing their bodies and game.
There will always be injuries, foul problems, some players leave mid-year, academic or suspension issues, etc.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I usually like to see all the scholarships taken (if you have it use it) but not just on someone taking up space (possible RS). IMO

There will always be injuries, foul problems, some players leave mid-year, academic or suspension issues, etc.
He said on Wednesday night that he wants to fill all 13 spots during the Q & A with Steve. I can't remember exactly how he put it. Does anybody have video of Archie's answers on Wednesday night?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Studley is going to post his videos on YouTube and link in here later tonight.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My comment comes from an interview shortly after he was hired. He eluded to leaving 1 or 2 scholarships open during the year if there aren’t any scholarship players redshirting. 11-12 available players is plenty. There aren’t many years recently where URI has had 13 scholarship players available.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

He said on Wednesday night that he wants to fill all 13 spots during the Q & A with Steve. I can't remember exactly how he put it. Does anybody have video of Archie's answers on Wednesday night?
I think he said something to the effect that he will keep recruiting and trying to add to the roster until he's told he can't anymore.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

I think he said something to the effect that he will keep recruiting and trying to add to the roster until he's told he can't anymore.
Yes, that was it.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Wouldn't you want to hold on to a scholarship for a high-quality mid-season transfer?
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Wouldn't you want to hold on to a scholarship for a high-quality mid-season transfer?
Not necessarily.

If he can use that scholarship to add a quality prospect or maybe an immediate impact player, why let it go to waste and take that gamble.

There is always a chance we can lose a player or two along the way.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm afraid Archie doesn't know what he's doing and we're wasting $8 million on the false hope that he does. He may have won conference championships and NCAA tournament games, but he's never faced the crucible of Keaney Blue experts. 🤓
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Wouldn't you want to hold on to a scholarship for a high-quality mid-season transfer?
Not necessarily.

If he can use that scholarship to add a quality prospect or maybe an immediate impact player, why let it go to waste and take that gamble.

I wouldn't award my 11th-13th scholarship just to fill out my roster in case of an injury etc. They need to be potential upgrades to my current roster or for the future. Yes, Archie knows what he is doing. Archie's comment regarding filling out the roster could be misinterpreted to meaning he would award it to a walk-on practice player (as had happened before) at the last moment rather holding it in hopes of a mid-season opportunity to sign a quality transfer for the future. Building the program is not just about next season. My concern is about high fan expectation for next season as some have expressed on this Board. I expect a losing conference record next year. Archie is starting with Malik and Ish!
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Not necessarily.

I wouldn't award my 11th-13th scholarship just to fill out my roster in case of an injury etc. They need to be potential upgrades to my current roster or for the future. Yes, Archie knows what he is doing. Archie's comment regarding filling out the roster could be misinterpreted to meaning he would award it to a walk-on practice player (as had happened before) at the last moment rather holding it in hopes of a mid-season opportunity to sign a quality transfer for the future. Building the program is not just about next season. My concern is about high fan expectation for next season as some have expressed on this Board. I expect a losing conference record next year. Archie is starting with Malik and Ish!
Like I said, Archie isn't going to handout the last couple of scholarships to just anyone.
He must feel that player has potential and/or can fill a need.

I don't have high expectations for this season, but he will lay the groundwork for a strong program going forward.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't have high expectations for this season, but he will lay the groundwork for a strong program going forward.
"WE" agree/
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Not necessarily.

I would agree with you, but then we'd just both be wrong... ;)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Got to meet Archie, Duane and Kenny. All seem like great guys. Kenny is especially likable. Archie said we're going to play defense and run. We're going to have to play 'muddy' until we get some shooters here, although during Steve's interview, Archie said Jalen's shot improved a lot during the 6 weeks they worked out. When we were talking to Duane, his phone rang and he said,'excuse me for a second, I have to take this'. It was a recruit, but he couldn't say who. He said,' I'll see you at Kennedy', so I assume he's flying back with him here for a visit? Just a guess. Couldn't hear the name, but it sounded like Elroy. Got to talk to Don Kaull a little. That was cool, haven't talked to him in about 3 years. Didn't get to talk to Tammi, but she is very impressive. Hope she's here for a long time. And I hit my free throw, can still shoot it at 65, LOL.
So, it wasn't Elroy. It was Rory. Notice the pic of Rory in the Rhody uniform is with Duane.