It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by McRam »

The bottom line is that Archie needs to figure out how to outdo DH's trampoline dunk!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: It's Miller Time - Introductory Press Conference Monday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m.

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

BUCKLE
UP

N
C
A
A

NO
D
O
U
B
T
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

If you guys think I am on here posting for an improved year or NIT year then think again

I wouldn’t be wasting my time

I am on here posting cas i am hitching my wagon to the NCAA

HITCHING

M
Y

WAGON !

BUCKLE
UP
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm hitching my wagon to it being a long climb back to basketball relevance for URI. Archie is many of the things that Cox wasn't, and Cox was things that Archie isn't.

It is becoming apparent that Archie isn't going to attract talented players to program that is the way URI is today. The year away from basketball made him invisible to potential recruits. He's brought no one with him to URI. He's a solid coach who was able to recruit to great programs such as Dayton and Indiana. But, players in the portal want to go to program where they can play for an immediate winner and that isn't URI. Cox could get decent players but he couldn't coach them to become winners.

It's going to take at least three years for URI to become relevant again.
NCAAs or Bust!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I trademarked “hitching my wagon”

I am going to sue you

Sue everybody ! (Jerky boys)

another stellar R72 post !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I'm hitching my wagon to it being a long climb back to basketball relevance for URI. Archie is many of the things that Cox wasn't, and Cox was things that Archie isn't.

It is becoming apparent that Archie isn't going to attract talented players to program that is the way URI is today. The year away from basketball made him invisible to potential recruits. He's brought no one with him to URI. He's a solid coach who was able to recruit to great programs such as Dayton and Indiana. But, players in the portal want to go to program where they can play for an immediate winner and that isn't URI. Cox could get decent players but he couldn't coach them to become winners.

It's going to take at least three years for URI to become relevant again.
While I don’t necessarily share ECRs optimism (and hope I’m wrong) that we’ll be dancing next year, I am cautiously optimistic that we’ll be dancing by year 3. Anyone who automatically thinks we’ll get the players in place to make the tournament next year wasn’t closely listening to Archie’s press conference. He said he wanted to build this slow and right. It will happen and it will be glorious.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Glorious, indeed. Slow? No. I read somewhere that he said he's not here to be top 3 A10, but to win it. I'm thinking he wants that year one, and thinks he can do it, whether he says it or not.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. I never got the impression Miller wanted to do it slow.

In today's world:
-1400 - 1800 transfers per year in the portal
-everyone from Covid getting a free 5th year of eligibility
-no "sit out a year" for transferring anymore
-waivers readily approved if you already used up your "free year" to avoid sitting out again

Expect a strong team taking the floor in November

Having all the openings on the roster gives lots of flexibility

Even as new players are added, some on the current roster may leave and create more openings.

He thinks he can do it and he had assembled a staff that thinks that way too.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Agree. I never got the impression Miller wanted to do it slow.

In today's world:
-waivers readily approved if you already used up your "free year" to avoid sitting out again

Even as new players are added, some on the current roster may leave and create more openings.

Ramster not you too.

Of course, Archie feels that way, coach's talk.

Realistically I don't see us finishing ahead of Dayton, Davidson, SLU.
Also put VCU, maybe the Bonnies (depending on who returns), Richmond if Burton returns, and GM, just below the top 3.
UMass finished above us last season and they return alot, plus some impressive transfers already.

Not even including Loyola and they are do a good job reloading.

Pump the brakes everyone.

Archie will do well here, but not instantly contending.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Agree. I never got the impression Miller wanted to do it slow.

In today's world:

Ramster not you too.

Also put VCU, maybe the Bonnies (depending on who returns), Richmond if Burton returns, and GM, just below the top 3.
UMass finished above us last season and they return alot, plus some impressive transfers already.

Yes, me too.
The days of slowly building are disappearing. Too many tools to quickly rebuild a roster. By the same token, rosters can quickly dissolve when a coach takes another job.

The key is to get a few very good players. Most teams only play 6 or 7 guys. Those are the guys who will take the team places. Roster slots 8-13 see huge turnover now as players can easily transfer.

Archie has expertise, he has built an excellent coaching staff and he his biggest asset to sell is playing time - and playing time starting this November. All players want playing time and nobody wants to wait their turn. Transferring has changed the game in a huge way.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

In today's world:

Ramster not you too.

Yes, me too.
The days of slowly building are disappearing. Too many tools to quickly rebuild a roster. By the same token, rosters can quickly dissolve when a coach takes another job.

The key is to get a few very good players. Most teams only play 6 or 7 guys. Those are the guys who will take the team places. Roster slots 8-13 see huge turnover now as players can easily transfer.

Archie has expertise, he has built an excellent coaching staff and he his biggest asset to sell is playing time.
We all understand you can rebuild faster now.
But it also takes a little time to get all the pieces to gel.

The upper tier teams in the A10 are proven and will be very tough to overtake.

We currently have 7 openings, lots of holes to fill, and no holdover stars.
I don't see it happening this season.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramster not you too.

Yes, me too.

Archie has expertise, he has built an excellent coaching staff and he his biggest asset to sell is playing time.

I don't see it as having 7 holes to fill as a challenge or problem..........just the opposite, huge opportunity. Let Archie and staff do their thing over the next 6 months May to October - then lets discuss whether URI can win the A10 AQ or not. Lot's of time to go.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, me too.

I don't see it as having 7 holes to fill as a challenge or problem..........just the opposite, huge opportunity. Let Archie and staff do their thing over the next 6 months May to October - then lets discuss whether URI can win the A10 AQ or not. Lot's of time to go.
Not necessarily a problem (7 openings) but definitely a lot of question marks.

No doubt Archie will do a good job filling them, but don't expect immediate miracles.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not necessarily a problem (7 openings) but definitely a lot of question marks.

No doubt Archie will do a good job filling them, but don't expect immediate results.
I don't look at just filling the 7 positions. The 7 positions represent golden opportunity to bring in top talent the will end up starting.
I can see 4 of the starters in November being players who are not even here yet, possibly all 5 starters are not here yet.
Some on the roster may move on as those current 7 slots are being filled, creating even more openings. Used to be in the olden days (2+ years ago) recruiting would be all wrapped up by April with teams filling out the roster. Now in the Wild West Recruiting in going Full Out in April and May and June and as Archie says all the way to September. Different world. Enjoy the ride as Blue Man would say.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramster not you too.

Yes, me too.

Awesome! The return of the 'gel' conversation! Woot woot!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Ramster not you too.

Yes, me too.

I will miss what Walker could do but let's see who is on the roster by May 1. After that maybe we still add a juco? It is better to have a solid point guard instead of a couple of combo guards and then letting the twins try to initiate the offense far too often (while often ignoring non-twin teammates) . The Ryan Center was not a fun place to be last season. I'm looking forward to see what some of the holdovers can do in a system not built around the Mitchell's. With a couple of good additions from the portal we should at least be fun to watch.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Yes, me too.

Still waiting for the Cox teams to gel.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Still waiting for the Cox teams to gel.
They gelled well when they all went into the portal together. The first thing they did as a team.
'No Mercy.'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago

Yes, me too.

I will miss what Walker could do but let's see who is on the roster by May 1. After that maybe we still add a juco? It is better to have a solid point guard instead of a couple of combo guards and then letting the twins try to initiate the offense far too often (while often ignoring non-twin teammates) . The Ryan Center was not a fun place to be last season. I'm looking forward to see what some of the holdovers can do in a system not built around the Mitchell's. With a couple of good additions from the portal we should at least be fun to watch.
Why May 1? That’s only the deadline to enter the Portal. Can still add players to the roster anytime after that.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s see how our full roster shakes out then we can all make assumptions where we will finish , right now it’s an incomplete
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Let’s see what the roster looks like when all the players show up for the first summer session in early June.
Archie was hired one month ago. Woodward and Kenny started two weeks ago.
It’s incredible how little patience KBers have.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Don’t even need to wait til 1st summer season. Wait til school starts.
Recruiting is much different now with 1400 to 1800 in the portal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Let’s see what the roster looks like when all the players show up for the first summer session in early June.
Archie was hired one month ago. Woodward and Kenny started two weeks ago.
It’s incredible how little patience KBers have.
Our fans are so nuts it makes something that should be pretty fun more of a chore than anything. Following this stuff in a minute-by-minute basis is grounds for institutionalization.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Lock me up then. :lol:
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Where is this picture taken (see water in the background)?
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Where is this picture taken (see water in the background)?
Coast Guard House
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for posting, 78. That was a good read.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Thanks for posting this video, Stevey.

I had time to watch this interview. It runs about 28 minutes. I enjoyed it.

The interview covers the following: what Archie did during his year off; what he was looking for in a program when he decided to come back; he talks about his brother taking the Xavier job; he discusses what the A10 is like now compared to when he coached at Dayton; he discusses expectations for next year; he discusses building a program with 4 year recruits versus transfers and which way he favors (this part is worth checking out if you don’t have enough time for the whole interview, IMO, and is around 22 minutes in, IIRC); the last part focuses on his time at Indiana, what he learned while there and good places to eat (the food part is worth skipping unless anyone plans to visit Bloomington, IN).

Overall, an insightful interview and worth watching.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Archie said his plan is to build the program thru recruiting and development. He isn’t the guy to build a team up thru the transfer portal. He said adding a piece here or there thru the portal is probably a necessity during this time and he will do that.

His actions so far at URI follow his recruit and develop philosophy.

He mentioned his biggest mistake at IU was recruiting the top rated athletes and they end up not being a good enough shooting team. You can tell in his comments that he learned from that (and I believe it will impact who he recruits).
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Great podcast
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

From what I keep hearing from Archie is that he isn't looking for a quick fix.
He has a long-term plan building a solid foundation, starting with youth and grooming them.

That is why I am tempering my expectations for the very immediate future especially the 22-23 season.

He may still sprinkle in some veteran experience for senior leadership, so who knows.

I think those on KB still thinking an NCAAT in 22-23, are a little unrealistic and put too much Limoncello in their Kool-Aid.

However, I am still very curious and excited to see how this roster fills out.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago From what I keep hearing from Archie is that he isn't looking for a quick fix.
He has a long-term plan building a solid foundation, starting with youth and grooming them.

That is why I am tempering my expectations for the very immediate future especially the 22-23 season.

He may still sprinkle in some veteran experience for senior leadership, so who knows.

I think those on KB still thinking an NCAAT in 22-23, are a little unrealistic and put too much Limoncello in their Kool-Aid.

Just...be ready to make plans for March. We're not seeing how it's going to work, right now (which, I think is awesome) but it's just going to. I've only tried Limoncello once and wasn't impressed... could've been a less than stellar batch tho, I suppose.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago From what I keep hearing from Archie is that he isn't looking for a quick fix.

Just...be ready to make plans for March. We're not seeing how it's going to work, right now (which, I think is awesome) but it's just going to. I've only tried Limoncello once and wasn't impressed... could've been a less than stellar batch tho, I suppose.
We have 7 scholarship players.

3 of those players haven’t played a second of college basketball.

We have 2 frontcourt players.

Actually thinking and expecting a Tournament birth is going to disappoint and piss off a good amount of people here.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Actually thinking and expecting a Tournament birth is going to disappoint and piss off a good amount of people here.
Oh, sorry. Then nvm, I guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Oh, sorry. Then nvm, I guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Things are looking up and last time I checked we had 8 scholarship players and a proven coaching staff. I'm just glad we are heading in the right direction. It has been a hard team to watch since Jeff and Cyril graduated.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

W the new court and new fonts and new uniforms we are soooooo dancing next year

BUCKLE UP !
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Nothing better than a good-looking floor taking a 3 pointer.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago W the new court and new fonts and new uniforms we are soooooo dancing next year

BUCKLE UP !
Where did you hear about the uniforms and floor?
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago W the new court and new fonts and new uniforms we are soooooo dancing next year

BUCKLE UP !
Season Ticket Holder Event

viewtopic.php?p=524210#p524210
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

BUCKLE UP !
I didn't see anything about new uniforms at the season ticket holder event, though I could have missed it
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

BUCKLE UP !
I didn't see anything about new uniforms at the season ticket holder event, though I could have missed it
Steve mentioned the floor, but I also didn't hear anything about uniforms.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Hey everyone I made playlist of the videos I took the other night.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I would think w new fonts and school logo that the uniforms is a natural assumption
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

And that’s a ECR guarantee just like we are dancing next year

ECR shuns the doubters

Shuns them !

Doubters BE GONE !