2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not if you took the top 4 teams from the conferences ranked 7-11 and had them play each other. Virtually all of those teams would be NCAA/bubble teams.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Fine replace Cincinnati with Wichita State, the point still remains. We aren't operating from a place of leverage or strength. Scheduling will always be difficult. Innovate or die. I guess in your mind we should insist on home and homes with P5s and if they turn us down (which they will) we should do what? Protest the season? MTEs, neutral site games, true road games and ideas like this are how we build a resume. Unfortunately Michigan and Kentucky aren't pounding down the door to come to Kingston.
Act like a big conference or be stepped over.
That's a cute line and all, but at some point you have to live in reality.

Which he never has and never will.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago The fact that there are college basketball supporters out there that see how the P5’s continue to slant the system to their own advantage and those supporters are creatively looking for ways to counter the P5’s, is a good thing for college basketball, IMHO.

That is the most important thing I take from this article. Conferences and college basketball supporters are being proactive. This schedule idea may not be perfect or a finsished work yet but it’s a start.

Once they have a finished scheduling product, I would think there would be networks and sponsors interested. That interest could result in more money for the conferences and schools involved, which would be an added benefit.

My hesitation with this idea is, could this play into the hands of the P5’s forming a two tiered system in basketball like what happened in football?
I’ll answer your question with another question.

What was the biggest story of the NCAA tournament this year?

It was ST PETERS beating KENTUCKY in a 2/15 game and then making the Elite 8.

I just cannot see March Madness excluding all mid majors. That’s what attracts millions to the tournament.

It also goes to show that the talent level isn’t ridiculously different between blue bloods and the little guys.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago This is basically a more extensive version of bracket busters. It’s a great idea, not sure why anyone would hate on the idea. I’d also be curious as to how they organize the matchups.
All for it as long as the A10 is not involved.
Wrong attitude to have here blue...we aren't operating from a position of strength. This is basically the entire non Power schools coming together to schedule games with the top schools in each league to combat the difficulty in getting fair resume building games with P5s. We could pick up games against a Belmont, Cincinnati, Murray State, etc. Plenty of strong resume games to be had if it is orchestrated right. I would imagine we would fall into a grouping with similar leveled mid majors like AAC, WCC, MWC, etc. If the goal is NCAA tourney then you should be applauding things like this which help us get better games.
Agree I really like this idea I think it’s great for mid majors like us
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago How many teams are realistically out there that will be strong enough to help enhance the NCAA resume of a team with a game versus them? We are talking about potentially 10-20 teams from a pool of some 250+ from a possible 22 leagues. Most all the teams that would actually help are in the P5 and BE and they will not be participating.

If the A-10 were to be a part of this, most of its teams would be playing much lower rated opponents from other conferences with half the games on the road.
Good points, RF1.

I appreciate the effort of those behind this idea. I just don’t know if it makes sense or not, yet. That said, neither do I know of a better option other than figuring out a way to entice the P5’s and NBE to take part and, I have a better shot at becoming the next Pope than that happening. :D

What concerns me is that the P5’s - by reducing opportunities for high and mid-majors to play P5’s - are squeezing the Non-P5 conferences into this as a way to further the divide between the two with the goal of a football style FCS for college bb.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread or in the A10 thread, I think the NBE will be squeezed eventually too, because this is all driven by football and revenue growth (including the P5’s insatiable appetite for more and more money to feed the beast).

I do not like what the P5’s are forcing on college bb. It makes me ornery. They screwed up football and I don’t care. But, leave your P5 grubby hands off college basketball and the tournament. Wish I could figure out a way to derail the P5’s and keep them from screwing up the great sport of college bb but unfortunately, I am not that smart, resourceful or connected. And, my windmill chasing days are over.

Rant over. Carry on.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago The fact that there are college basketball supporters out there that see how the P5’s continue to slant the system to their own advantage and those supporters are creatively looking for ways to counter the P5’s, is a good thing for college basketball, IMHO.

That is the most important thing I take from this article. Conferences and college basketball supporters are being proactive. This schedule idea may not be perfect or a finsished work yet but it’s a start.

Once they have a finished scheduling product, I would think there would be networks and sponsors interested. That interest could result in more money for the conferences and schools involved, which would be an added benefit.

My hesitation with this idea is, could this play into the hands of the P5’s forming a two tiered system in basketball like what happened in football?
I’ll answer your question with another question.

What was the biggest story of the NCAA tournament this year?

It was ST PETERS beating KENTUCKY in a 2/15 game and then making the Elite 8.

I just cannot see March Madness excluding all mid majors. That’s what attracts millions to the tournament.

It also goes to show that the talent level isn’t ridiculously different between blue bloods and the little guys.
That’s very true, 15, and an excellent point. And, I will be very happy to be wrong every year for at least the next 20 years, at least, for the sake of y’all out there in KB land. :D
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

To me this is an unqualified good. Think about how hard it's been for us to schedule non-conference games. This goes into effect and instantly we have to schedule two fewer games. It also says they'll be going off of a computer model to make matchups. For sake of argument I'm using kenpom rankings to show what types of games we could have seen in our last two tournament years and Cox' second season. I'm using the first five teams ahead of us and the first five teams after us in the kenpom rankings. Keep in mind these are post year rankings and factor in tournament games, so more an illustration of the types of teams we'd be playing.

2016-17 we had a kenpom of 34 (48 January 31st) so the teams we could have been looking at playing would be
1. Gonzaga
8. Wichita State
11. SMU
15. Saint Mary's
23. Cincinnati (if they would allow for rematches)
39. Dayton (if they'll allow for teams in the same conference to play each other for this)
43. Middle Tennessee
48. VCU
49. Illinois State
52. Houston (rematch)
54. Nevada
58. Princeton
59. UNC Wilmington

2017-18 we had a kenpom of 52 (34 February 2nd)
31. Loyola Chicago
32. Saint Mary's
43. Davidson
45. Middle Tennessee
47. Western Kentucky
50. San Diego State
60. New Mexico State
61. Boise State
62. Murray State
64. Old Dominion
67. Buffalo

2019-20 we had a kenpom of we had an RPI of 65 (50 January 31st)
49. Northern Iowa
52. UConn
56. East Tennessee State
58. Yale
59. Memphis
62. St. Louis
70. Davidson
71. Louisiana Tech
73. VCU
74. San Francisco
75. Northern Colorado
76. Vermont
77. North Texas (rematch)
79. Liberty

Like seriously, how can we possibly bitch about getting an extra top 60-80 home game and an extra top 60-80 road game, in the middle of February, in years when we are looking to pad our resume? Sign me up for this plan years ago!
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago To me this is an unqualified good. Think about how hard it's been for us to schedule non-conference games. This goes into effect and instantly we have to schedule two fewer games. It also says they'll be going off of a computer model to make matchups. For sake of argument I'm using kenpom rankings to show what types of games we could have seen in our last two tournament years and Cox' second season. I'm using the first five teams ahead of us and the first five teams after us in the kenpom rankings. Keep in mind these are post year rankings and factor in tournament games, so more an illustration of the types of teams we'd be playing.

2016-17 we had a kenpom of 34 (48 January 31st) so the teams we could have been looking at playing would be
1. Gonzaga
8. Wichita State
11. SMU
15. Saint Mary's
39. Dayton (if they'll allow for teams in the same conference to play each other for this)
43. Middle Tennessee
48. VCU
49. Illinois State
52. Houston (rematch)
54. Nevada
58. Princeton
59. UNC Wilmington

31. Loyola Chicago
32. Saint Mary's
43. Davidson
45. Middle Tennessee
47. Western Kentucky
50. San Diego State
60. New Mexico State
61. Boise State
62. Murray State
64. Old Dominion
67. Buffalo

49. Northern Iowa
52. UConn
56. East Tennessee State
58. Yale
59. Memphis
62. St. Louis
70. Davidson
71. Louisiana Tech
73. VCU
74. San Francisco
75. Northern Colorado
76. Vermont
79. Liberty

Like seriously, how can we possibly bitch about getting an extra top 60-80 home game and an extra top 60-80 road game, in the middle of February, in years when we are looking to pad our resume? Sign me up for this plan years ago!
Agreed. It's only good for a program like ours in a conference that has suckbags dragging us down at the bottom.

As to the part I bolded - this board can find a way to bitch about anything. It's actually an art form.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Nice work . You put in a lot of work to illustrate your point very effectively .if this happens it would be a big boost to A 10 level teams , but I can see
the P 5 schools fighting it because it may destroy the myth of their supposed superiority . Hope it actually happens , though.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't really know A. why they'd want to fight it and B. what grounds they would have to fight it. What would their arguments even be? Also, Michigan State's associate AD is one of three people that seems to be involved in setting this up:

Michigan State associate AD Kevin Pauga, a man who is considered a scheduling guru in college athletics, has been the third piece in crafting this zealous idea. Pauga — who also built the KPI, one of the six metrics on NCAA Tournament team sheets — helps build scheduling templates for more than a dozen conferences and a litany of NCAA-sanctioned sports.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm still laughing at the all knowing posters here who hate this idea, but literally EVERYONE else likes it.

Truly incredible people here hate and bitch about literally everything.
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

My only potential issue with the idea is with the scheduling aspect.

The benefit would be in helping more teams solidify a resume. But if “lock” teams only play “lock” teams, who does that really benefit?

Like if potential bubble team URI faces potential bubble team SMU, is the impact of that game neutral in that the winner moves up a few spots but the loser now falls off-the-bubble?

You are almost better off having those guys face your top teams - the Gonzaga, Houston, etc, where a win is a major boost, a loss is a minor impact, and the teams in the middle don’t beat each other up.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago To me this is an unqualified good. Think about how hard it's been for us to schedule non-conference games. This goes into effect and instantly we have to schedule two fewer games. It also says they'll be going off of a computer model to make matchups. For sake of argument I'm using kenpom rankings to show what types of games we could have seen in our last two tournament years and Cox' second season. I'm using the first five teams ahead of us and the first five teams after us in the kenpom rankings. Keep in mind these are post year rankings and factor in tournament games, so more an illustration of the types of teams we'd be playing.

1. Gonzaga
8. Wichita State
11. SMU
15. Saint Mary's
43. Middle Tennessee
48. VCU
49. Illinois State
52. Houston (rematch)
54. Nevada
58. Princeton
59. UNC Wilmington

31. Loyola Chicago
32. Saint Mary's
43. Davidson
45. Middle Tennessee
47. Western Kentucky
50. San Diego State
60. New Mexico State
61. Boise State
62. Murray State
64. Old Dominion
67. Buffalo

49. Northern Iowa
52. UConn
56. East Tennessee State
58. Yale
59. Memphis
62. St. Louis
70. Davidson
71. Louisiana Tech
73. VCU
74. San Francisco
75. Northern Colorado
76. Vermont
79. Liberty

Thanks for doing this, Rhowdy. It certainly helps me get a better handle on this scheduling recommendation.

There were some very good potential games in those years, if the recommendation was in place.

Good stuff.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Been quiet on the scheduling front recently with Archie and Co. filling out the roster. I'm probably one of the few west coast Rhody diehards, but I would love to see URI add a game in the LA or Las Vegas area in the coming years.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Been quiet on the scheduling front recently with Archie and Co. filling out the roster. I'm probably one of the few west coast Rhody diehards, but I would love to see URI add a game in the LA or Las Vegas area in the coming years.
So would reef!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Been quiet on the scheduling front recently with Archie and Co. filling out the roster. I'm probably one of the few west coast Rhody diehards, but I would love to see URI add a game in the LA or Las Vegas area in the coming years.
Sign me up for that! Most recent one I can remember was at Arizona (besides the tourney games of course). I made that drive to Arizona to watch us get beat by like 50. Good times!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Sign me up for that! Most recent one I can remember was at Arizona (besides the tourney games of course). I made that drive to Arizona to watch us get beat by like 50. Good times!
I remember being in some tournament in San Jose in Harrick's first year. My brother and I went. Santa Clara was the host. We lost to Stanford by a point, which was a harbinger as we lost to them in the Elite 8 that next spring by 2. I'm sure we played out west since, but don't remember the details.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Assuming there have been no games moved back to future years we only have three more non-conference games to schedule. With road games at Brown, Georgia State, Seton Hall, and Boston College and only home games against Quinnipiac, Providence, and Milwaukee I'm assuming we're looking for the remaining three games to all be at home
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Assuming there have been no games moved back to future years we only have three more non-conference games to schedule. With road games at Brown, Georgia State, Seton Hall, and Boston College and only home games against Quinnipiac, Providence, and Milwaukee I'm assuming we're looking for the remaining three games to all be at home
I would think you are right as most of the unknown opponent games will probably be in Kingston. The Cayman Islands Classic looks to be three neutral site games. Not certain on the Brown game location as Brown was supposed to visit URI last year but was cancelled due to Covid in the URI program (got replaced with a later game vs AIC). Was something announced that I missed or forgot? Would however think that URI would want to split the location of the Brown and PC games each season. With 6-7 games already known away from the Ryan Center, would think nearly all remaining games would be at home to balance the OOC schedule with a roughly equal number of home and away/neutral games.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would think you are right as most of the unknown opponent games will probably be in Kingston. The Cayman Islands Classic looks to be three neutral site games. Not certain on the Brown game location as Brown was supposed to visit URI last year but was cancelled due to Covid in the URI program (got replaced with a later game vs AIC). Was something announced that I missed or forgot? Would however think that URI would want to split the location of the Brown and PC games each season. With 6-7 games already known away from the Ryan Center, would think nearly all remaining games would be at home to balance the OOC schedule with a roughly equal number of home and away/neutral games.

Was recently reading some other A-10 member boards and there are mentions that their teams are paying some $80k for buy game opponents.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When the season ticket price increase was announced, they said the difference in the price per game would be minimal because there would be more home games this year.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
No announcement on Brown, so I left it in as away until I hear otherwise
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
I remember being in some tournament in San Jose in Harrick's first year. My brother and I went. Santa Clara was the host. We lost to Stanford by a point, which was a harbinger as we lost to them in the Elite 8 that next spring by 2. I'm sure we played out west since, but don't remember the details.
I was @ that game too Stevie living in the Bay Area @ the time . I also saw URI play @ St Mary’s , USF and Bama in the Cable Car classic 1994
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That was the 1997 Cable Car Classic. We lost 70-69 at Stanford on 12/29 then beat Penn the next day 96-89
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago

I was @ that game too Stevie living in the Bay Area @ the time . I also saw URI play @ St Mary’s , USF and Bama in the Cable Car classic 1994
According to the record book that was the 1992 Cable Car Classic. We lost to Alabama 79-78 on 12/29 and beat Harvard 80-67 the next day
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

All those Cable Car Classics.... they're like blur!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

According to the record book that was the 1992 Cable Car Classic. We lost to Alabama 79-78 on 12/29 and beat Harvard 80-67 the next day
Good call that was the 92-93 season that we danced I thought it was the year after for some reason but it was 30 years ago. James Hollywood Robinson was on that Alabama team played for a bit in the NBA
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago When the season ticket price increase was announced, they said the difference in the price per game would be minimal because there would be more home games this year.
So if there’s the same or less home games, what are the going to do?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago When the season ticket price increase was announced, they said the difference in the price per game would be minimal because there would be more home games this year.
Take our money and run.
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago
Take our money and run.
They have to recover the cost of the shills in the marketing budget.
NCAAs or Bust!
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Now that the team is in place.
Lets start talking about the schedule
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjv wrote: 2 years ago Now that the team is in place.
Yeah good call.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Yeah good call.
I feel like we need to lock in a home-and-home or two. A neutral court game would also be in-line with what Archie spoke about.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Yeah good call.
I feel like we need to lock in a home-and-home or two. A neutral court game would also be in-line with what Archie spoke about.
A neutral court game? We have 3 OOC home games scheduled. I would hope we get 4 games more at home.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Yeah good call.
A neutral court game? We have 3 OOC home games scheduled. I would hope we get 4 games more at home.
Yes, Archie said getting neutral site games against top teams will be part of the scheduling approach.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yes, Archie said getting neutral site games against top teams will be part of the scheduling approach.
Not this year. We already have 3.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Just a guess, but I think he’s looking for winnable home games for this year. The home and homes will have to wait til next year. IIRC, his Dayton teams didn’t have tough OOC schedules.
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Start? Some of us have been talking about it for awhile now
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yeah good call.
Four games more at home? That might be hard to accomplish:

"Assuming there have been no games moved back to future years we only have three more non-conference games to schedule. With road games at Brown, Georgia State, Seton Hall, and Boston College and only home games against Quinnipiac, Providence, and Milwaukee I'm assuming we're looking for the remaining three games to all be at home"

Looks like the only way to accomplish that would be to schedule our last three games at home plus move the Brown game off of its road year or reshuffle previously scheduled games
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

"Assuming there have been no games moved back to future years we only have three more non-conference games to schedule. With road games at Brown, Georgia State, Seton Hall, and Boston College and only home games against Quinnipiac, Providence, and Milwaukee I'm assuming we're looking for the remaining three games to all be at home"

Looks like the only way to accomplish that would be to schedule our last three games at home plus move the Brown game off of its road year or reshuffle previously scheduled games
Or maybe you pull off a neutral game @ Mohegan (like Oklahoma State in 2010/WVU a couple years ago) and have the season tickets count for that.

I know our tix didn't count for Mohegan for WVU, but did they count for OSU? That was too long ago.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Or maybe you pull off a neutral game @ Mohegan (like Oklahoma State in 2010/WVU a couple years ago) and have the season tickets count for that.

I know our tix didn't count for Mohegan for WVU, but did they count for OSU? That was too long ago.
Sign me up for a game at Mohegan. My wife and I have an absolute blast every time we go to a game there. Add to that now they have the FanDuel sportsbook, I'd never want to leave.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Is the Seton Hall game confirmed? Or more of a just haven’t heard anything different? There’s a story about Holloway and Woodward and why the latter was available that I have a few details of but wish I had more. It makes for an intriguing match-up.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 1 year ago Is the Seton Hall game confirmed? Or more of a just haven’t heard anything different? There’s a story about Holloway and Woodward and why the latter was available that I have a few details of but wish I had more. It makes for an intriguing match-up.
Just haven't heard different. Last year it got pushed to this year and there's been no further updates.

"A previously planned game at Seton Hall has been pushed to the 2022-23 season due to scheduling conflicts."

https://gorhody.com/news/2021/8/19/mens ... e-set.aspx

So last year our out of conference was set on 8/19 and the conference schedule was set 9/9. Who knows what kind of timeline Archie is looking at for out of conference, but without looking at previous seasons my guess is early September sounds about right for the conference schedule
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Reef, you should have lobbied hard with Archie and UNLV to get us this home/away.

Anyway, you can watch Dayton on Nov 15 and give us an update and scouting report.

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Tyson Wheeler mentioned in the recent podcast that Brown (where he is an assistant) would be coming to Kingston this season.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Reef, you should have lobbied hard with Archie and UNLV to get us this home/away.

Anyway, you can watch Dayton on Nov 15 and give us an update and scouting report.

Damn I think URI will get to Vegas soon there are a lot of tournaments there
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Rhody vs Kansas State in the first round

Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Rhode Island has actually never faced Kansas State before.