Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Re: Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Archie wants him or is interested in having him stay. But we have our board coaches rejecting Archie's assessment or views already. Hopefully Archie reads this board so he'll have an idea of what he should do
Yeah I really don't get how anyone can question ANYTHING Archie does or wants to do when it comes to a player or coach.

His methods are proven. He's the best/most experienced coach we've ever, EVER brought into this program. (Harrick was a reclamation project with violations).

This isn't like a "prove it to the fanbase" type guy that we're used to getting. Some up-and-comer who we're getting on the rise as a stepping stone. We're operating as a big time program and we went and got a big time coach, with big time experience and big time winning at this level and above.

Every comment on this board should pretty much be - yup, I trust Archie. This year is gonna be fun.

The questioning with Dave Cox was warranted, as he was a first time coach where he was figuring everything out. That's not the case now. If Arch wants a player to stay? I want the player to stay. The staff he hired? Probably the best top-to-bottom we've ever had (not for nothing it's the most we've ever paid, so funny how that works). The player development opening? I want whoever Arch wants.

We're about to go on a fun ride. Enjoy!
Dude I'm all in on archie and standing in line for fan club entry.

And I will agree that Archie is probably the most important hire we have ever made, both due to his track record and also due to the commitment made to him by the university and what that means.

However, violations aside, Jim Harrick was 12 months removed from winning a national championship after a highly successful tenure at one of the bluebloods of the sport. He has almost a .700 career winning percentage and was a very very very good basketball coach. When we hired him Dickie V slid down the student section and ESPN descended on our school, the #1 recruit in the country signed on, we were on national TV, in big tournaments and nationally relevant almost overnight. Dan got us close to that but the attention and visibility we had in those 2 years was pretty much unmatched and still is. He also coached the most successful season in the modern era of the program. Net net he was a very good hire.
Moot point but I believe it was jim harrick sliding down the student section crowd surfing because I was in the student section that night
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyram99 wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah I really don't get how anyone can question ANYTHING Archie does or wants to do when it comes to a player or coach.

His methods are proven. He's the best/most experienced coach we've ever, EVER brought into this program. (Harrick was a reclamation project with violations).

This isn't like a "prove it to the fanbase" type guy that we're used to getting. Some up-and-comer who we're getting on the rise as a stepping stone. We're operating as a big time program and we went and got a big time coach, with big time experience and big time winning at this level and above.

Every comment on this board should pretty much be - yup, I trust Archie. This year is gonna be fun.

The questioning with Dave Cox was warranted, as he was a first time coach where he was figuring everything out. That's not the case now. If Arch wants a player to stay? I want the player to stay. The staff he hired? Probably the best top-to-bottom we've ever had (not for nothing it's the most we've ever paid, so funny how that works). The player development opening? I want whoever Arch wants.

And I will agree that Archie is probably the most important hire we have ever made, both due to his track record and also due to the commitment made to him by the university and what that means.

However, violations aside, Jim Harrick was 12 months removed from winning a national championship after a highly successful tenure at one of the bluebloods of the sport. He has almost a .700 career winning percentage and was a very very very good basketball coach. When we hired him Dickie V slid down the student section and ESPN descended on our school, the #1 recruit in the country signed on, we were on national TV, in big tournaments and nationally relevant almost overnight. Dan got us close to that but the attention and visibility we had in those 2 years was pretty much unmatched and still is. He also coached the most successful season in the modern era of the program. Net net he was a very good hire.
Moot point but I believe it was jim harrick sliding down the student section crowd surfing because I was in the student section that night
This article pretty well describes the environment back when Jim Harrick came on board. And yes, it was Jim Harrick surfing.

Harrick hasn't gone moshing with Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe, but he did crowd surf into the start of Midnight Madness, smiling as he was passed overhead through a section of URI students wearing sunglasses. (Perhaps because of URI's bright future?)

There are two messages here: Have fun. And win.

"The things that I've been through in my life, there's no pressure," Harrick said. "Pressure is when you can't pay for the rent. That's pressure.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticu ... story.html
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I think the commitment to our basketball programs, the hiring of Archie Miller and the extension of Tammi Reiss are terrific events, but nothing has been accomplished yet other than investments in the hope of reversing the slide to irrelevance. For that, I am a grateful fan and remain a loyal supporter of both programs as I have been for over a half century. But, I will continue to call balls balls and strikes strikes.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I think the commitment to our basketball programs, the hiring of Archie Miller and the extension of Tammi Reiss are terrific events, but nothing has been accomplished yet other than investments in the hope of reversing the slide to irrelevance. For that, I am a grateful fan and remain a loyal supporter of both programs as I have been for over a half century. But, I will continue to call balls balls and strikes strikes.
There are alternatives to lithium if it doesn't help you. Talk to your doctor.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I think the commitment to our basketball programs, the hiring of Archie Miller and the extension of Tammi Reiss are terrific events, but nothing has been accomplished yet other than investments in the hope of reversing the slide to irrelevance. For that, I am a grateful fan and remain a loyal supporter of both programs as I have been for over a half century. But, I will continue to call balls balls and strikes strikes.
You really are an expert in your craft.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodyram99 wrote: 2 years ago

This article pretty well describes the environment back when Jim Harrick came on board. And yes, it was Jim Harrick surfing.

Harrick hasn't gone moshing with Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe, but he did crowd surf into the start of Midnight Madness, smiling as he was passed overhead through a section of URI students wearing sunglasses. (Perhaps because of URI's bright future?)

There are two messages here: Have fun. And win.

"The things that I've been through in my life, there's no pressure," Harrick said. "Pressure is when you can't pay for the rent. That's pressure.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticu ... story.html
Really good find Ramster , in the article he said URI was not a stepping stone and that it was his last college job , unfortunately he left for UGA and saddled us with Jerry Duh
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think it's safe to say the women's program has reversed the slide to irrelevance...and the Arch hire has at least started to pump the brakes on the men's slide, just looking for a place turn around.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Archie wants him or is interested in having him stay. But we have our board coaches rejecting Archie's assessment or views already. Hopefully Archie reads this board so he'll have an idea of what he should do
Ace will be pissed off by me saying this but Trust Archie!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
So you didn’t even try to understand what I was saying? Cool. Have fun, all.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
There are alternatives to lithium if it doesn't help you. Talk to your doctor.
hahahahha I missed this post..Good one blueram
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
So you didn’t even try to understand what I was saying? Cool. Have fun, all.
I'm joking.. Although I felt our entire back and forth was totally unnecessary you're a legend on here...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don’t mean to do the Harrick vs Archie thing. Agreed with all your points. Why I love this team so much is because I was 11 when that team happened.

My overall point I guess is more of where we are as a program - investment wise. Harrick fell down to us. We went up and got Archie.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Ileri thinks he is going to get starter minutes at UVM? And they promised him them? We gotta be getting some impact big men then because we could use a guy like that.
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We have one frontcourt player.

6 scholarship players.

Woof.
Go Rhody
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Id expect Bill wouldn’t throw this out there without any specific knowledge whatsoever
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm sure to be proven wrong, but other than Toppin and Tyrese Martin, I don't recall any player who transferred out of URI hurting us long term or that we couldn't replace. Maybe Jason Alexander in the early 90s. That 93 team would have been better with Alexander at the point, and Sean Colson (who would have been a senior I think on the 98 team and likely wouldn't have beaten out Wheeler) had success at UNC Charlotte, but other than that, I think we've been more successful at transfers in vs. out.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I'm sure to be proven wrong, but other than Toppin and Tyrese Martin, I don't recall any player who transferred out of URI hurting us long term or that we couldn't replace. Maybe Jason Alexander in the early 90s. That 93 team would have been better with Alexander at the point, and Sean Colson (who would have been a senior I think on the 98 team and likely wouldn't have beaten out Wheeler) had success at UNC Charlotte, but other than that, I think we've been more successful at transfers in vs. out.
Akeem Richmond?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago Ileri thinks he is going to get starter minutes at UVM? And they promised him them? We gotta be getting some impact big men then because we could use a guy like that.
Agreed, not sure what made Ileri think he wouldn’t get starters minutes here considering he was 1 of only 2 bigs on the team. Unless he knows something about who is about to commit to us.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I am surprised that Bill thinks Ileri is more likely to get starter minutes at Vermont than URI, at least next year. I have not done a deep dive into Vermont's roster I assume they must have lost a bunch of players off of this years roster for him to say that. But still that has been a solid program for the last several years and our roster at the moment is barren so for him to state that he is more likely to start/get starter minutes there is curious. Maybe there is still hope that several incoming players on are on their way which he hints at as well. To think a guy that could not get off the bench on a sub 500 team last year is being promised starter minutes on an NCAA team. I was hoping that he would stay, and I think Archie did as well which is why he was practicing with the team. I think this one will hurt more than most think. I think he will turn out to be a good player but he cannot be making demands like that if true. Ileri vs. Antwan next year should be interesting.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Maybe he practiced with us because it was akin an audition? That is, he wanted to stay and Archie had interest in him staying but practice time determined that he just wasn’t going to fit. They each gave it some time and agreed he’d be better finding regular playing time elsewhere (this assumes we have been recruiting bigs and will have a few arriving in the coming weeks).
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago
Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago Ileri thinks he is going to get starter minutes at UVM? And they promised him them? We gotta be getting some impact big men then because we could use a guy like that.
Agreed, not sure what made Ileri think he wouldn’t get starters minutes here considering he was 1 of only 2 bigs on the team. Unless he knows something about who is about to commit to us.
It's the first crack in the dam....?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Damn I can't watch UMass hang those "most transfer commits in April" banners in the Mullins Center.

I get it - it's April, nothing's going on, so this is the only thing to talk about.

But seriously - Archie isn't a first time coach. He's got proven methods, a proven approach, and proven success. So call me crazy, but I'll trust that guy that he knows what he's doing.

Here's a fun question to consider:

What if Archie is chasing longer term players, who he wants to sell a 4 year starter story to, and doesn't want to block out their spots with a hodgepodge of random transfers?

As it is, he keeps everything quiet. No one knew about Bray until he committed, and he was an all-conference rookie this past season.

It might be a WILD take, but I think Archie might also be targeting some forwards for next season as well. Stay with me here, it's almost like he knows what he's doing. Do people seriously think he's not recruiting? Or doesn't have a plan?

If you think that's the case, than criticize away. You'll be wrong, but go for it.

So what you're really complaining about is that we don't know who we're recruiting on the message board. I could give 2 shits. I trust the coach we hired that he knows what he's doing, and by Nov 1 we're going to have a good team that I trust to be coached up and compete in the A10.

Archie is playing the long game. He talked about it in his presser. Talked about the patience to do the right things and get the right people.

Would it make a few ornery message board posters happy to sign a transfer? Sure? But what if Archie has his eyes on some stud '22's or 23's that he doesn't want to be blocked by a transfer with 3-4 years of eligibility left?

You know who loves straight away transfers? Guys like Grasso who are coaching for 1 year and the next job.

Arch has to build a program.

I'm sure he's going to grab transfer guys, and I'm sure he's working some right now while keeping it quiet - like Bray.

HAVE SOME FAITH.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good”, Archie Miller.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Maybe him transferring could Imply something happening this weekend, cough Sunday cough
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Archie is a proven good coach and URI will be good in a few years. But, he had no players lined up to play for him because of his year off. Also, I believe that Archie will develop Leggett into a very good player. The reason that it will take time for URI to become relevant again is not Archie's fault. I'll leave it there.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Archie is a proven good coach and URI will be good in a few years. But, he had no players lined up to play for him because of his year off. Also, I believe that Archie will develop Leggett into a very good player. The reason that it will take time for URI to become relevant again is not Archie's fault. I'll leave it there.
Probably your like third legitimate good post.

I agree.
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Not so fast ….

Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I am cracking up at Ileri announcing when he’s announcing.

Didn’t know he was an All American type player setting the stage for the big day.

But that’s the day and age we’re in now.

Everything is a spectacle, regardless of how good a player is.
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I am cracking up at Ileri announcing when he’s announcing.

Didn’t know he was an All American type player setting the stage for the big day.

But that’s the day and age we’re in now.

Everything is a spectacle, regardless of good a player is.
Exactly, the whole thing is such a charade. I’m hoping he goes all in though. Like fly in his family and former coaches, setup a table with three hats and then put one on and watch the crowd go wild. Maybe even fake reaching for one hat and then grab the other for added suspense.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Damn I can't watch UMass hang those "most transfer commits in April" banners in the Mullins Center.
Reminds me of the "AFC FINALIST" banner the Colts hung up
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Not so fast ….

OH THE KARMA !

Bill pulled a RV !

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

join the club !

relax … I’m just teasing LOL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago Maybe him transferring could Imply something happening this weekend, cough Sunday cough
Is that a cracking sound I hear?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

And he deleted a tweet - def pulled a RV !

KARMA !

Everybody sing since my voice has been taken from me !

steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I’m guessing the delete was an accident- he quoted and replied to the original tweet- so it makes no sense to delete it other than by accident.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Yeah.. ummm… ok… an accident !

YEAH YEAH that’s the ticket !

[media] [/media]
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Damn I can't watch UMass hang those "most transfer commits in April" banners in the Mullins Center.

I get it - it's April, nothing's going on, so this is the only thing to talk about.

But seriously - Archie isn't a first time coach. He's got proven methods, a proven approach, and proven success. So call me crazy, but I'll trust that guy that he knows what he's doing.

What if Archie is chasing longer term players, who he wants to sell a 4 year starter story to, and doesn't want to block out their spots with a hodgepodge of random transfers?

As it is, he keeps everything quiet. No one knew about Bray until he committed, and he was an all-conference rookie this past season.

It might be a WILD take, but I think Archie might also be targeting some forwards for next season as well. Stay with me here, it's almost like he knows what he's doing. Do people seriously think he's not recruiting? Or doesn't have a plan?

If you think that's the case, than criticize away. You'll be wrong, but go for it.

So what you're really complaining about is that we don't know who we're recruiting on the message board. I could give 2 shits. I trust the coach we hired that he knows what he's doing, and by Nov 1 we're going to have a good team that I trust to be coached up and compete in the A10.

Archie is playing the long game. He talked about it in his presser. Talked about the patience to do the right things and get the right people.

Would it make a few ornery message board posters happy to sign a transfer? Sure? But what if Archie has his eyes on some stud '22's or 23's that he doesn't want to be blocked by a transfer with 3-4 years of eligibility left?

You know who loves straight away transfers? Guys like Grasso who are coaching for 1 year and the next job.

Arch has to build a program.

I'm sure he's going to grab transfer guys, and I'm sure he's working some right now while keeping it quiet - like Bray.

HAVE SOME FAITH.
Excellent points, Blue Man, especially the Archie playing the long game versus straight away transfers. And, I do trust Archie as well Although, I have to admit that I fall in to the group of those who enjoy speculating and following the tea leaves, but not to the point of feeling the need to complain.

I just happen to have more time on my hands than I anticipated I’d have at this stage of my life to enjoy all the speculation this time of year and even the complaints, too, as I can understand the frustration even though I don’t share it. I’m just trying to take in as much as I can before the dead time of summer comes to KB. Have patience with me and those similar to me. And, to the complainer’s…remember to be patient and have faith, like Blue Man said…but wait until the summer dead time. :D
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

No surprise

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey, I hope this means good news on a big tomorrow for Rhody. We shall see.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Jersey, I hope this means good news on a big tomorrow for Rhody. We shall see.
Wo knows, but regardless, I will be patient.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Damn, how are we gonna replace the 4 points he scored for the entire season?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago Jersey, I hope this means good news on a big tomorrow for Rhody. We shall see.
He was already in the Portal, and he remained in the Portal. No surprise.
Best of luck to him at Vermont.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yep Ramster, I didn't anticipate him sticking around anyway.

Vermont is usually a pretty competitive team especially in their conference, let's see how much play he gets.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yep Ramster, I didn't anticipate him sticking around anyway.

Vermont is usually a pretty competitive team especially in their conference, let's see how much play he gets.
He will get to play against Antwan Walker
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Damn, how are we gonna replace the 4 points he scored for the entire season?
Right on! He can be replaced with a walk-on.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

This aged so well.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This aged so well.
So far there’s 2 four year players and 1 transfer.

It may end up aging well, but not yet.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

This aged so well.
So far there’s 2 four year players and 1 transfer.

It may end up aging well, but not yet.
I guess I'm more hammering the "stop panicking" point of the larger post.

Archie has a strategy, and it's pretty clear that there aren't a lot of leaks coming out of his camp. So basically - just because the message board doesn't have an inkling of what he's doing, doesn't mean he's not doing his job.

Another 2 guys that we had minimal indication that we were even involved with, nevermind close to locking down.

Give to Rhody's NIL