2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I’m surprised Matta is that young
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago I’m surprised Matta is that young
Chronic pain will age a person. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I hope his return to the game means he’s doing much better.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I did not know Matta played at Butler and forgot about his prior coaching stints there. According to Jeff Goodman, he is healthy. Goodman also indicated he lives down the street from the campus.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
He was bought out
It was my understanding that the actual amount of the buy-out was still being negotiated. At one point I heard that Cox wanted ~$1M while his base salary for 2 years would be ~$600K.
I'll start a GoFundMe for your KeaneyBlue buyout so I don't have to read your relentlessly moronic posts.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

A little surprised by this hire, but I am way more surprised to learn that he is only 54.

The A10 got better with their hirings, but so did the Big East.
Yes very surprised at this. I thought Matta’s medical issues prevented him from wanting to coach again.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Must have been paining their AD to watch Archie to URI go down. Oh well, timing is everything…

Wrong, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

A little surprised by this hire, but I am way more surprised to learn that he is only 54.

Butler fired Jordan 04/01/22. Matta is hired to replace him within 48 hours. Logic dictates that Butler and Matta had been working on this for far longer, perhaps even weeks or months.
Wow. Unexpected. Still scummy. So they knew they were firing Jordan and hiring Matta - no problem.

But to wait until this late to drop the hammer, screw Jordan out of buyout money, and screw his staff out of a job search is low.

Just pay the guy.

Like what UConn did with Ollie. You made a bad deal, that’s on you. Pay the man what you owe.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Butler fired Jordan 04/01/22. Matta is hired to replace him within 48 hours. Logic dictates that Butler and Matta had been working on this for far longer, perhaps even weeks or months.
Wow. Unexpected. Still scummy. So they knew they were firing Jordan and hiring Matta - no problem.

But to wait until this late to drop the hammer, screw Jordan out of buyout money, and screw his staff out of a job search is low.

Just pay the guy.

Like what UConn did with Ollie. You made a bad deal, that’s on you. Pay the man what you owe.
UConn only paid because a judge forced them tom
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago I’m surprised Matta is that young
I remember a few years ago I checked his age and always thought he was a lot older also
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago

Just pay the guy.

UConn only paid because a judge forced them tom
Exactly. It’s like how dirty UConn did one of their own. Of course they needed to pay. The judge was right. UConn were scumbags.

Butler looks trashy here.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Financially, the Butler AD made a smart fiscal decision. It’s a business, not a charity.
Common sense is not common.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago Financially, the Butler AD made a smart fiscal decision. It’s a business, not a charity.
Yup, college basketball is a business.

Jordan and his agent agreed to the contract with this clause in it. They literally said “yes, this is fine” and signed on the dotted line.
Go Rhody
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

And they had Thad all lined up…
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago Financially, the Butler AD made a smart fiscal decision. It’s a business, not a charity.

Jordan and his agent agreed to the contract with this clause in it. They literally said “yes, this is fine” and signed on the dotted line.
Not saying it isn’t.

This is like getting a ticket for jaywalking. Technically you’re breaking the law. But you’re a dick for enforcing it.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s called penny wise pound foolish. Was it within the contract clause, sure, long term was saving 100k worth it probably not.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

It’s called penny wise pound foolish. Was it within the contract clause, sure, long term was saving 100k worth it probably not.
Lavall played at Butler. And is viewed in the same way David Cox is. No one is saying it wasn't time to make a change. But it's a chickenshit move.

Waiting 3 weeks screws LaVall and his staff out of numerous job opportunities - and an opportunity to be successful in the next role they take.

The buyout didn't drop by millions and millions of dollars.

Unlike how a coach can be hired in principle behind the scenes - if a coach doesn't know he's going to be fired, he's not putting feelers out there. And it's not like Jordan was a hot name in coaching circles at this time.

We'd be ashamed of URI if they pulled this on Cox. Right move or not, dogging good people - especially former players - ain't a great look when you're only saving a couple of bucks to do it.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Lavall played at Butler. And is viewed in the same way David Cox is. No one is saying it wasn't time to make a change. But it's a chickenshit move.

Waiting 3 weeks screws LaVall and his staff out of numerous job opportunities - and an opportunity to be successful in the next role they take.

Unlike how a coach can be hired in principle behind the scenes - if a coach doesn't know he's going to be fired, he's not putting feelers out there. And it's not like Jordan was a hot name in coaching circles at this time.

We'd be ashamed of URI if they pulled this on Cox. Right move or not, dogging good people - especially former players - ain't a great look when you're only saving a couple of bucks to do it.
If we did something similar with Cox, not only would we have been shortchanging him a significant amount of money, it also may have prevented him from landing the Maryland job. A solid run at Maryland and Cox could certainly be in the mix for a head job in the future, something that doesn't happen if he doesn't get the Maryland job.
It also hurts the assistants, who don't get a big buy out and now are behind in the coaching carousel.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

If we did something similar with Cox, not only would we have been shortchanging him a significant amount of money, it also may have prevented him from landing the Maryland job. A solid run at Maryland and Cox could certainly be in the mix for a head job in the future, something that doesn't happen if he doesn't get the Maryland job.
It also hurts the assistants, who don't get a big buy out and now are behind in the coaching carousel.
These coaches and assistants land on their feet. They're connected. (What do you think they're doing down in New Orleans this weekend?) There are always dominoes falling in the coaching business. Butler, like any school, has every right (per contract) to wait until April 1. The coach knows exactly when the buyout cost drops. This is not a reflection of people. This is big business. Coaching staff knows that. They were not blindsided. Like David Cox, LaVall Jordan knew he was on thin ice and fellow coaches knew that too.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

These coaches and assistants land on their feet. They're connected. (What do you think they're doing down in New Orleans this weekend?) There are always dominoes falling in the coaching business. Butler, like any school, has every right (per contract) to wait until April 1. The coach knows exactly when the buyout cost drops. This is not a reflection of people. This is big business. Coaching staff knows that. They were not blindsided. Like David Cox, LaVall Jordan knew he was on thin ice and fellow coaches knew that too.
While that is factually correct, is the juice worth the squeeze?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Butler will get blowback for a few days, then another coaching story will pop up.

Never ending news cycle, and nobody will blink twice about this a month from now.
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Butler will get blowback for a few days, then another coaching story will pop up.

Never ending news cycle, and nobody will blink twice about this a month from now.
I don't think Butler will get much blowback on this. If LaVall Jordan or Butler was somehow worried that feelings could get hurt if they had to fire an alumnus as their coach and there could be a dispute over money because of the firing, then LaVall should have never taken the job and Butler should never have hired an alumnus.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Butler will get blowback for a few days, then another coaching story will pop up.

I don't think Butler will get much blowback on this. If LaVall Jordan or Butler was somehow worried that feelings could get hurt if they had to fire an alumnus as their coach and there could be a dispute over money because of the firing, then LaVall should have never taken the job and Butler should never have hired an alumnus.

Wholeheartedly agree.

It’s really a nonstory.
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

There definitely will not be any blowback, because there’s never any blowback for anything. That’s not really the point; nobody is saying “wow Butler is going to get dragged for this” because they absolutely will not. But, it’s still kind of a shitbag move in my way of looking at the world - which I acknowledge is not shared by all people everywhere. I just believe in a certain way of doing business, and I recognize that all the “smart business people” think the way I wish we’d do business is unsophisticated because it isn’t driven entirely by the bottom line. It’s cool. I’m used to being on an island with stuff. I like my island.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago There definitely will not be any blowback, because there’s never any blowback for anything. That’s not really the point; nobody is saying “wow Butler is going to get dragged for this” because they absolutely will not. But, it’s still kind of a shitbag move in my way of looking at the world - which I acknowledge is not shared by all people everywhere. I just believe in a certain way of doing business, and I recognize that all the “smart business people” think the way I wish we’d do business is unsophisticated because it isn’t driven entirely by the bottom line. It’s cool. I’m used to being on an island with stuff. I like my island.
I’m confused by the people who are all, “if you’re not cheating, you’re not trying, who are you to judge, all holier than thou, etc.” and then have a crisis over a school doing something icky but legal.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago There definitely will not be any blowback, because there’s never any blowback for anything. That’s not really the point; nobody is saying “wow Butler is going to get dragged for this” because they absolutely will not. But, it’s still kind of a shitbag move in my way of looking at the world - which I acknowledge is not shared by all people everywhere. I just believe in a certain way of doing business, and I recognize that all the “smart business people” think the way I wish we’d do business is unsophisticated because it isn’t driven entirely by the bottom line. It’s cool. I’m used to being on an island with stuff. I like my island.
I get your view. I'm not saying I like what Butler did or I like how big business works. I'm with you. I wish the business world was different. Can I join you on your island? Is it warm on your island? Traffic?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I’m confused by the people who are all, “if you’re not cheating, you’re not trying, who are you to judge, all holier than thou, etc.” and then have a crisis over a school doing something icky but legal.
Some here are making a much bigger deal about this then it really was.
These coaches will probably all land on their feet if they are capable, and life moves on.
I think it gave Jeff Goodman something to tweet about and stir things up.

Again this is the nature of the business and they all know what they are getting into when they enter this profession.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Some here are making a much bigger deal about this then it really was.
These coaches will probably all land on their feet if they are capable, and life moves on.
I think it gave Jeff Goodman something to tweet about and stir things up.

Again this is the nature of the business and they all know what they are getting into when they enter this profession.

Yea it seems people here got more butthurt over how Jordan was fired than Butler fans and national media.
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Fran Dunphy is rumored to be the hire for La Salle.

SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Actual Tweet / link on the Dunphy hire from the Philly Inquirer, which might be paywalled:

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Actual Tweet / link on the Dunphy hire from the Philly Inquirer, which might be paywalled:

Wow age 73 played at LaSalle was a former assistant coach at LASalle and now the head coach , what you guys think of this hire ??
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Good for him for coming full circle. At that age, having been out of coaching for two years, I'm just not sure he's going to have the time to get things on the right track there with how much of a mess the whole university is, and even if he does, how long is he realistically there? I mean, we hear about negative recruiting all the time, if you're going head to head with La Salle for a high school freshman, isn't it super easy to say "Do you really see him still coaching at 77?" and be successful with that pitch?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Fran Dunphy needs to have stints at St. Joe's and Nova to go full Big 5!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

The guy has made the tourney consistently everywhere he's coached. Probably the best hire they could have realistically gotten.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Pitino is 70
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

LaSalle went with Dunphy to save money. Don't have to provide him with any health coverage as he has been on Medicare for close to a decade. :lol:
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Dunphy is an excellent coach
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Ramulous wrote: 2 years agoPitino is 70
Based on his history, Pitino preferred 69.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I get your view. I'm not saying I like what Butler did or I like how big business works. I'm with you. I wish the business world was different. Can I join you on your island? Is it warm on your island? Traffic?
Not usually a lot of traffic because I’m usually all by myself over here. Weather is hit or miss but always happy to have visitors.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Not usually a lot of traffic because I’m usually all by myself over here. Weather is hit or miss but always happy to have visitors.
TP, do you own stock? It is all about bottom line.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don’t own stock in Butler University, no.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago I don’t own stock in Butler University, no.
Hah. Totally misread that. Let me know if you need a ticket next year.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Is projo trolling him by always using that picture where he looks like a “sanitation worker” from North Providence ordering shots for his table at his cousin’s wedding? Or is that just the only picture they have of him? I don’t even really care for the guy but seems like kind of rough treatment from the paper.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Good for Jared, like to see him grow the program upstate, usher in a new league then into new building…..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Is projo trolling him by always using that picture where he looks like a “sanitation worker” from North Providence ordering shots for his table at his cousin’s wedding?
Oddly specific
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Kellogg and Grasso were separated at birth. They’re identical.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
12h
Sources: Xavier's Jonas Hayes is finalizing a deal to become the next head coach at Georgia State.

Hayes just led the Musketeers to a Postseason NIT title as interim head coach.

Taking place of Rob Lanier who took the SMU job

Good move for Jonas Hayes after being interim HC at Xavier following the 1st win in the NIT after Travis Steele was fired.

Jonas’ twin brother Jarvis is an Assistant Coach for GSU. Assume he stays? His mother and twin brother were at MSG for the Championship game.

GSU Moving into new $80 million Convocation Center (7,690 for basketball) next season. New HC and new Arena when URI plays there next November.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Can you bring beer to your seat?
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Is projo trolling him by always using that picture where he looks like a “sanitation worker” from North Providence ordering shots for his table at his cousin’s wedding?
Oddly specific
It sounds like the trash is going to pile up on Virtue Signal Island.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
12h
Sources: Xavier's Jonas Hayes is finalizing a deal to become the next head coach at Georgia State.

Hayes just led the Musketeers to a Postseason NIT title as interim head coach.

Taking place of Rob Lanier who took the SMU job

Good move for Jonas Hayes after being interim HC at Xavier following the 1st win in the NIT after Travis Steele was fired.

Jonas’ twin brother Jarvis is an Assistant Coach for GSU. Assume he stays? His mother and twin brother were at MSG for the Championship game.

GSU Moving into new $80 million Convocation Center (7,690 for basketball) next season. New HC and new Arena when URI plays there next November.
Their current president was the other finalist for our president search
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines