The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago This thread is so indicative of how college basketball has devolved. The constant transfers are bad for the game.
Make them sit out a year unless the coach leaves. Something like that. This isn't good for the sport.
Just like chemistry and engineering majors have to, when they switch schools.
Just like coaches do when they switch schools. Maybe all coaches should be forced to take a year off in between jobs. After all, I'm sad when a successful coach leaves URI and something needs to be done about that!
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Toussaint is lighting fast and quick. I don't think I saw a quicker guy all year.. He would be a stud recruit. It's almost laughable to see some look at his stats and a guy like Rob Phinisee and say no thanks. But that's internet recruiting. Thankfully Archie is making assessments and decisions.
Guys, slow down on Toussaint. He can't shoot a jump shot. Good on the ball defender and a satisfactory penetrator. Has a solid, sturdy build. That's his game.

Everybody jumps out of their seat when they see a guy in the transfer portal. Whoa nellie!
Have you watched Toussaint, or are you looking at his stats? He can't hit the 3 but can break down the D, set players up, and finish down low. WIth his speed and handle, he's perfect for a high-paced offense like Archie's system. He's excellent in the pick and roll and will bully guards in the A10. On the other side, he would be one of the best defensive guards in the conference.

Toussaint would be a fantastic get for any team in the A10.
Yes, I've watched Toussaint play more times than I can count. And I've seen him play in person.

My point is: let's get out of the prediction making business. Maybe he'll be fantastic. Maybe he won't. I'm just telling you what he is and what he's been. Unless you have a crystal ball, I'm just giving the "whoa nellie" on making future proclamations about every player in the portal.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Make them sit out a year unless the coach leaves. Something like that. This isn't good for the sport.
Just like coaches do when they switch schools. Maybe all coaches should be forced to take a year off in between jobs. After all, I'm sad when a successful coach leaves URI and something needs to be done about that!
I said that players wouldn’t have to sit out if their coach leaves. And fine, let the coaches sit out a year too if they bail on their contract. Like I said, this isn’t good for the SPORT. Do you have any ideas? In my opinion, something needs to change.

And responding to the previous post, the comparison to chemistry and engineering majors changing schools is just a bad one.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

I said that players wouldn’t have to sit out if their coach leaves. And fine, let the coaches sit out a year too if they bail on their contract. Like I said, this isn’t good for the SPORT. Do you have any ideas? In my opinion, something needs to change.

And responding to the previous post, the comparison to chemistry and engineering majors changing schools is just a bad one.
Why is it a bad comparison? We've been told players were supposed to be student-athletes by the NCAA, with the student part coming first, yet they're even now with transfers and NIL held to higher standards than regular students
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Guys, slow down on Toussaint. He can't shoot a jump shot. Good on the ball defender and a satisfactory penetrator. Has a solid, sturdy build. That's his game.

Everybody jumps out of their seat when they see a guy in the transfer portal. Whoa nellie!
Have you watched Toussaint, or are you looking at his stats? He can't hit the 3 but can break down the D, set players up, and finish down low. WIth his speed and handle, he's perfect for a high-paced offense like Archie's system. He's excellent in the pick and roll and will bully guards in the A10. On the other side, he would be one of the best defensive guards in the conference.

Yes, I've watched Toussaint play more times than I can count. And I've seen him play in person.

My point is: let's get out of the prediction making business. Maybe he'll be fantastic. Maybe he won't. I'm just telling you what he is and what he's been. Unless you have a crystal ball, I'm just giving the "whoa nellie" on making future proclamations about every player in the portal.
I feel like you're underestimating someone that is battle-tested in one of the most challenging conferences in the country. People are excited about two potential transfers. One was one of the highest-ranked point guards in the country from 2020 and Toussaint.

We've discussed guys like Givance and Jarius Cook as role pieces but nothing more.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

This one is a little surprising
Another talented big in the portal, maybe should've stayed at Georgetown.
Will probably get a waiver because of coaching change.

Here's the swap, we sent them Cox and get Wahab in return, also throw in the twins.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I feel like you're underestimating someone that is battle-tested in one of the most challenging conferences in the country. People are excited about two potential transfers. One was one of the highest-ranked point guards in the country from 2020 and Toussaint.

We've discussed guys like Givance and Jarius Cook as role pieces but nothing more.
I know the conference. I went to school in the conference. I'm just telling you what he's been. I would urge anyone to tap the brakes a little on anointing any previous role player as a "fantastic get" for an A10 team. And for a fan base that got tired of watching URI guards who couldn't shoot straight this past season, Toussaint has shown nothing that addresses that concern. (He might be an older, sturdier version of Sebastian Thomas.)
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I know the conference. I went to school in the conference. I'm just telling you what he's been. I would urge anyone to tap the brakes a little on anointing any previous role player as a "fantastic get" for an A10 team. And for a fan base that got tired of watching URI guards who couldn't shoot straight this past season, Toussaint has shown nothing that addresses that concern. (He might be an older, sturdier version of Sebastian Thomas.)
I'm tired of not having leaders on the floor. I trust Archie will get shooters, but I'd love a kid like this running our offense. He's much faster and much stronger, and more creative than Thomas. But, he needs to improve his shooting, and he can turn the ball over by trying really tough passes. The kid lead Iowa in assists and steals. His speed, strength, and experience would be a massive upgrade at our guard position.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

This guy and Thomas should never be said in the same sentence.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago This guy and Thomas should never be said in the same sentence.
Tell me about it... He can play out of control because the kid is so freaking quick. He's not going to be going up against the best athletes in the country every night like he was in the Big10. He'll have more success at our level.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Would love for our 1st transfer signed to be Joey T
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Would we rather have Joe Toussaint or Khristian Lander?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Would we rather have Joe Toussaint or Khristian Lander?
I’ll be happy with either. Highly recruited, guys with a chip from P5 programs.

Either would obviously be the best guard since JD.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

For me, it’s Lander and it’s not close. I think Lander can be a cornerstone to build around. I view Toussaint as more of a Biggie Minnis type, a solid stop gap option while the rebuild continues.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago This guy and Thomas should never be said in the same sentence.
Tell me about it... He can play out of control because the kid is so freaking quick. He's not going to be going up against the best athletes in the country every night like he was in the Big10. He'll have more success at our level.
Fine. It's likely he'll have more success if he transfer down. A true difference maker however? Not sure about that. I could be wrong. (I also thought that the Celtics should've drafted Dallas Comegys back in 1987. My bad.)
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Would we rather have Joe Toussaint or Khristian Lander?
I’ll be happy with either. Highly recruited, guys with a chip from P5 programs.

Either would obviously be the best guard since JD.
We have 8 spots, why not both, tough competition?

Throw in a couple of pure shooters, a stretch 4, a few more bigs, and we are set.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

STC wrote: 2 years ago For me, it’s Lander and it’s not close. I think Lander can be a cornerstone to build around. I view Toussaint as more of a Biggie Minnis type, a solid stop gap option while the rebuild continues.
Why is this kid being compared to guys who wouldn't have done nearly as well at Iowa??? Thomas and now Biggie Minnis?

Lander has plenty of talent, but he's done absolutely nothing so far at the D1 level, which scares me... I do think he would succeed in the A10 though and his upside is terrific.

I'm with Jersey. Get both!!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

When in doubt, get the guy that can shoot. We have already met our quota of guards that shoot a low percentage from 3.
Any more and we will be right back where we were last year.

In fact, here's hoping every player we sign from here on out is a good shooter, including bigs.
At least that will give Thomas and Leggett a chance to drive.

OBTW, the Dallas Comegys reference above made me laugh out loud. I had to research the dude.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

STC wrote: 2 years ago For me, it’s Lander and it’s not close. I think Lander can be a cornerstone to build around. I view Toussaint as more of a Biggie Minnis type, a solid stop gap option while the rebuild continues.
Why is this kid being compared to guys who wouldn't have done nearly as well at Iowa??? Thomas and now Biggie Minnis?

Lander has plenty of talent, but he's done absolutely nothing so far at the D1 level, which scares me... I do think he would succeed in the A10 though and his upside is terrific.

I'm with Jersey. Get both!!!
This would be my mindset as well. If I -have- to pick, give me Toussaint, because he's already an established regular in a better conference. But we could certainly use both on next year's roster.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

I'm still confused why people continue to mention Thomas. If we truly want to be a next level A10 team he is not in the equation yet. The young man would have to drastically improve his game and get much stronger. He is the third point guard on any quality team. Joe T shot 80% plus and over 40% from the field and his 9 for 30 something was not completely gross. I was always impressed when watching him with Iowa. He gave them a toughness and defensive pest. Biggie did nothing on bad Rutgers teams this guy has played many meaningful minutes in huge games including tournament games.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Getting both should not be an option.
Our Guards would be 6'0'", 6'0", 6'2", 6'2"
With 3pt% of: 25.6, 21.4, 33.6, 25.5

Archie is good, but he is not Merlin
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Getting both should not be an option.

yeah, that would be a disaster.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Carey is 6'3 and shot 46% from 3 last year
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

No rebuild...just build
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Actually would be 6'0" (Tous), 6'1" (Bassy), 6'2" (Ish and Landers), 6'3" (Carey) plus Martin at 6'6".
Adding them still leaves open 6 scholarships and can get 2 taller shooting guards.

I doubt very much we end up with both, but I think it would give us great competition at that position.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Actually would be 6'0" (Tous), 6'1" (Bassy), 6'2" (Ish and Landers), 6'3" (Carey) plus Martin at 6'6".
Adding them still leaves open 6 scholarships and can get 2 taller shooting guards.

I doubt very much we end up with both, but I think it would give us great competition at that position.
I can't believe I just read that landing a kid that lead Iowa in assists and steals and a former high 5-star point guard would be a disaster. We have plenty of slots to fill. If you can get an upgrade in talent like these two you do it. But, I do agree with Jersey that we don't end up with both.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bassy, Ish and Carey scored an average of 16 pts a game. Combined. They are not the answer.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Don’t care about these stats. Carey has never been a good 3 point shooter and I don’t think anyone realistically is thinking he is the answer from the outside
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bassy, Ish and Carey scored an average of 16 pts a game. Combined. They are not the answer.
You made my point, that is why we get the best guards available.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago I'm still confused why people continue to mention Thomas. If we truly want to be a next level A10 team he is not in the equation yet. The young man would have to drastically improve his game and get much stronger. He is the third point guard on any quality team. Joe T shot 80% plus and over 40% from the field and his 9 for 30 something was not completely gross. I was always impressed when watching him with Iowa. He gave them a toughness and defensive pest. Biggie did nothing on bad Rutgers teams this guy has played many meaningful minutes in huge games including tournament games.
I agree on Thomas. He seems like a good kid and would be a good change of pace guy, but if he is your starter we aren’t getting to the next level. Archie isn’t a magician
theblueram
Frank Keaney

They have to shoot
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I fear that some of you are not going to make it to November. Pace yourself, take some deep breaths.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

I can't believe I just read that landing a kid that lead Iowa in assists and steals and a former high 5-star point guard would be a disaster. We have plenty of slots to fill. If you can get an upgrade in talent like these two you do it. But, I do agree with Jersey that we don't end up with both.
I think ending up with two lead guards would be smart in this recruiting cycle. We know Joe T would be an upgrade with very little risk. He can play and lead a top 20 program. With Lander there is more risk and unknown... But his upside could place us where we want to be. Just going with Lander and it not working out leaves us with just Bassy? That won't work! We just experienced Coach Cox putting everything on Shep and that failed miserably. Two quality lead guards protect us from injury and makes us much stronger!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

My god some of you are insufferable. Debate is 1 thing but just shitposting is another. Blue you ever heard of Yuri Collins? First team all A10 PG. Can’t shoot a lick career 32% from 3. But he does a myriad of other things really well. A team is a sum of the parts. Archie knows how to cast a good team. If he wants Toussaint or Lander there is a reason. This is a transition year and these are transfers. Here’s a newsflash we aren’t going to sign a P5 kid who averaged 20 on a 50/40/90 slash line.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

They have to shoot
I think Archie will find us some shooters
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I fear that some of you are not going to make it to November. Pace yourself, take some deep breaths.
We finally have something to talk about and something to look forward to. Myself, I'm shooting for April :lol:
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago My god some of you are insufferable. Debate is 1 thing but just shitposting is another. Blue you ever heard of Yuri Collins? First team all A10 PG. Can’t shoot a lick career 32% from 3. But he does a myriad of other things really well. A team is a sum of the parts. Archie knows how to cast a good team. If he wants Toussaint or Lander there is a reason. This is a transition year and these are transfers. Here’s a newsflash we aren’t going to sign a P5 kid who averaged 20 on a 50/40/90 slash line.
Bar, we have guards who can't average double digits. Why do you think we sucked the last two years? I have faith in Archie Miller.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago I'm still confused why people continue to mention Thomas. If we truly want to be a next level A10 team he is not in the equation yet. The young man would have to drastically improve his game and get much stronger. He is the third point guard on any quality team. Joe T shot 80% plus and over 40% from the field and his 9 for 30 something was not completely gross. I was always impressed when watching him with Iowa. He gave them a toughness and defensive pest. Biggie did nothing on bad Rutgers teams this guy has played many meaningful minutes in huge games including tournament games.
Agree--remember what the primary purpose of a point guard is. Being a great three point shooter is a bonus. (I don't think we can draw any valid conclusions when his 3 point stat was only 35 shots)

Joe T has big time stats on assists per minute, steals are super excellent and A/TO ratio is above 2. Plus he seems to have a great attitude and toughness.

This is exactly what we were missing last year. I would take him in a NY minute!!( In Joe's case ,a Bronx minute)
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My feeling is that the A10 will be in play for players from lower ranked conferences who want to move up but aren’t good enough to go P6. We will also be in play for players who went P6 and were highly rated from high school but did not live up to their hype. It is a crapshoot to see if these kids are difference makers. Guess right and you are the friars this year. Guess wrong and you are us.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago This one is a little surprising
Another talented big in the portal, maybe should've stayed at Georgetown.
Will probably get a waiver because of coaching change.

Here's the swap, we sent them Cox and get Wahab in return, also throw in the twins.
I'd definitely take Wahab in a millisecond
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

Don’t care about these stats. Carey has never been a good 3 point shooter and I don’t think anyone realistically is thinking he is the answer from the outside
You don’t care about an entire season of stats? Come on…

I don’t think he’s a knockdown shooter but he went 14/30 on the year. The kid had a horrible sophomore year and worked his ass off to improve his shooting and handling and it showed this season. If he can take another step under Archie’s system he could be a nice piece for this roster.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I doubt we would get both Lander and Joey T , they probably each would like 30 minutes a game
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Wahab is a top 5 most questionable transfer of all time. Played for one of the best centers in modern era, was the focal point of team and led them to the tourney. Then he leaves. Thanks but no thanks on him.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago My god some of you are insufferable. Debate is 1 thing but just shitposting is another. Blue you ever heard of Yuri Collins? First team all A10 PG. Can’t shoot a lick career 32% from 3. But he does a myriad of other things really well. A team is a sum of the parts. Archie knows how to cast a good team. If he wants Toussaint or Lander there is a reason. This is a transition year and these are transfers. Here’s a newsflash we aren’t going to sign a P5 kid who averaged 20 on a 50/40/90 slash line.
Bar, we have guards who can't average double digits. Why do you think we sucked the last two years? I have faith in Archie Miller.
I think there are a lot of reasons we sucked the last two years. Some talent related some not. But if you have faith in Archie can you stop erecting these filters like he’s gotta be this many stars of a recruit or he’s gotta shoot this percentage…trust his judgment on talent and roster construction. I’m sure he’s aware you need some guys that can shoot.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

No one is saying he's the answer, just that he can knock them down.

His little step back is pretty deadly. Played really well within himself.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
I think there are a lot of reasons we sucked the last two years. Some talent related some not. But if you have faith in Archie can you stop erecting these filters like he’s gotta be this many stars of a recruit or he’s gotta shoot this percentage…trust his judgment on talent and roster construction. I’m sure he’s aware you need some guys that can shoot.
Filters? I just posted that Ish, Carey and Bassy shot combined 16 pts a game. Then I mentioned the recruits need to shoot. I trust Archie Miller. He was my number 1 target. Maybe people should back off who they want and let the coach assemble a team.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

You don’t care about an entire season of stats? Come on…

I don’t think he’s a knockdown shooter but he went 14/30 on the year. The kid had a horrible sophomore year and worked his ass off to improve his shooting and handling and it showed this season. If he can take another step under Archie’s system he could be a nice piece for this roster.
He made 14 3 point shots. Can and did he improve-Yes, but if we are thinking that he is the answer from long distance than we are fooling ourselves. I think like most of the guys back he can be complimentary player, but the real additions to move us to the next level have not arrived yet.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Don't care about these stats. Carey has never been a good 3 point shooter and I don't think anyone realistically is thinking he is the answer from the outside
You don't care about an entire season of stats? Come on…

I don't think he's a knockdown shooter but he went 14/30 on the year. The kid had a horrible sophomore year and worked his ass off to improve his shooting and handling and it showed this season. If he can take another step under Archie's system he could be a nice piece for this roster.
He made 14 3 point shots. Can and did he improve-Yes, but if we are thinking that he is the answer from long distance than we are fooling ourselves. I think like most of the guys back he can be complimentary player, but the real additions to move us to the next level have not arrived yet.
To be clear. It's ok to bring up Thomas, who shot 28 3s on the year, and Toussaint, who shot 35, but I bring up Carey's stats, and it doesn't matter?

Regarding him being the "answer," who said he was?? I didn't. I would bet that no one thinks Carey is going to be our answer from downtown.. Someone posted the numbers of our guards and conveniently left Carey's height and 3pt% out, so I added his. That's all
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyblue12
ARD

You are missing the point . The point was IF we signed BOTH of the players in question as some suggested, we'd have 4 short guards none of which could shoot well - 3 of which are under Yuri's 32%. Read clearly before you spin up. You are better than that.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago
You are missing the point . The point was IF we signed BOTH of the players in question as some suggested, we'd have 4 short guards none of which could shoot well - 3 of which are under Yuri's 32%. Read clearly before you spin up. You are better than that.
If we can get both, you can't pass up the opportunity with what they are capable of.

Like we said it probably won't happen anyway.