Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Mitchells, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Leggett, Berry, AF, and Betrand remaining. I'm starting to get the feeling that if they haven't pulled out of the portal by now, they're not going to.
Probably correct.
9 openings the new staff will be plenty busy.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah seems like a good spot for Walker. I'll be curious to see how he does there.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Arch is the 2nd best coach we could've possibly got and I won't be calling for his head anytime soon.
Who is the best that we could have reasonably have gotten?

The available ones with past success are

Crean
Mack
Howland
Martin

I’d could consider Howland above Miller but not the rest.

Am I forgetting someone?
He wasn’t talking about any of those guys. He was talking about Pitino (who wasn’t available). I’d take Archie over any of those guys. I have zero expectation that Howland will ever coach a good team again. Never know, but it just seems like a decade too late to be excited about him. As far as Pitino, the two fans that have made it clear that next year is the only year that matters to them clearly would have preferred Pitino over Archie. I wouldn’t. I think Archie is perfect for where I want this program to go. He’s at the exact right stage of his career - enough experience that we know he can do it, and enough ahead of him still that he’s still in his prime and highly motivated.
No complaints here with the choice. I've never said next year is the only year that matters, they all matter the same. I've said I expect to ncaat it next year. I'm not going to go beserker if that doesn't happen. I just have pretty good confidence that it will.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Yeah seems like a good spot for Walker. I'll be curious to see how he does there.
Curious enough to buy ESPN+ just to watch all the Bulldogs games?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Gtown to Rhody to Bryant. Thought the kid had more in him than that.
Walker battled for us every possession!!! He has plenty of heart!

This isn’t Bryant from 5 years ago. They are a program that has a lot of momentum and just joined a better conference. Twan can go be the man and get all the touches he wants instead of being a role piece at our program like us… I hope he dominates
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Gtown to Rhody to Bryant. Thought the kid had more in him than that.

This isn’t Bryant from 5 years ago. They are a program that has a lot of momentum and just joined a better conference. Twan can go be the man and get all the touches he wants instead of being a role piece at our program like us… I hope he dominates
4th frat team
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I agree. Wish he stayed
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I agree. Wish he stayed
Me too. This one hurts a little but I’m happy he’s playing 15 minutes from my house
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I agree. Wish he stayed
I thought Walker was a decent talent. I was not a fan of his technical fouls and did not think he displayed leadership ability on the court but wish him well at Bryant. He had some good moments on the court for Rhody.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Think he had 1 tech
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago

I agree. Wish he stayed
I thought Walker was a decent talent. I was not a fan of his technical fouls and did not think he displayed leadership ability on the court but wish him well at Bryant. He had some good moments on the court for Rhody.
What techs?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I agree. Wish he stayed
Heh?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Yeah seems like a good spot for Walker. I'll be curious to see how he does there.
Curious enough to buy ESPN+ just to watch all the Bulldogs games?
We had a ton of games on ESPN+ this year.

Will probably have even more next year.
Go Rhody
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I wish Walker well, but Bryant is LAME!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago

Bahahahaha

Too funny

You leave Rhody because you wimped out

See ya and good riddance
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I don't blame Walker. Actually, I think going to Bryant is a good decision. He can be an impact player on a team & coach that's on the rise and has a good shot to finally play in the NCAA Tournament, which I'm sure is what a lot of guys want to do when they play college basketball. I think he saw a good opportunity and took it. I'm bummed he left, but happy for him.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago

Bryant is lame? Well they seem to keep improving while people like you talk smack. Let’s see how they do this season. I’ll always support a local low major program like Bryant.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

Bahahahaha

Too funny

See ya, and good riddance
We have no idea what happened. Archie may have told him it’s not a good fit. Are we going to be like some of those horrible PC fans that talk shit about players that leave, or can we show some respect to guys that played their asses off for us???
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

WOW! This is what happens when people surround themselves with people who tell them what they want to hear rather than what they need to hear.
The part about playing for a program that is conducive to their style of play is laughable. What style is that? Having the centers be point guards that bring the ball up the floor and then do spin move in the paint and nearly fall down while turning the ball over? The let me do whatever I want to do on the court, rather than be leaders & team players, even though I contribute to my team consistently losing games style? :roll:
Don't even get me started on the NBA part. I want to smoke what they're smoking. That must be some good shit. Not hating on these guys, but there is ZERO and I mean ZERO percent change that either of those guys even sniff the NBA or NBA G league.
Last edited by The Dude 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Bahahahaha

Too funny

We have no idea what happened. Archie may have told him it’s not a good fit. Are we going to be like some of those horrible PC fans that talk shit about players that leave, or can we show some respect to guys that played their asses off for us???
A lot of the fans on here who shit talk PC fans tend to have these type of takes.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I agree. Wish he stayed
What techs?
I guess he only got one this year. I remember him in a prior season running over a smaller player on purpose and getting a flagrant in a close game memory is a little fuzzy...might have been at UMass which was quite embarrassing. Overall liked him as a player but did not see him as a leader. It's ok if you disagree.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think it’s a good move for Twan let him go and play 35 minutes a game for a decent Bryant team , he barely got 20 minutes here
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I don’t have any problem with Walker going to Bryant. Surprised he’s not going to Terps but who knows what went on with Cox behind the scenes.

Make sure we keep them on the schedule vs scheduling some cupcake. Bryant getting a solid player who fits in their system.

Go Dawgs.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

I think the bar has been set so low these last two seasons that we have started to value players incorrectly. Walker had more poor games than quality games this season. I am not here to trash the young man and greatly appreciate his effort but just look at his season game log. Winning teams have players that make winning plays. Walker like many of our players the last two seasons really struggled to make any winning plays. Missed FT's, bad turnovers, defensive lapses all prevented him from helping us. Coach Miller is clearly not keeping anyone he feels was part of the problem. He recruited Malik back into the program because he feels he can be part of the solution. Coach Cox gave Twan a second chance and the young man represented himself well and put himself in a position to play his last year for a program on the rise that wants and needs him. Good luck at Bryant! He was not in Coach Miller's plans and this gives me great optimism. It gives me optimism because he is striving for better quality on and off the court.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 years ago I don’t have any problem with Walker going to Bryant. Surprised he’s not going to Terps but who knows what went on with Cox behind the scenes.

Make sure we keep them on the schedule vs scheduling some cupcake. Bryant getting a solid player who fits in their system.

Go Dawgs.
I love Twan but I don't see him getting minutes at a Big10 program. If he's looking for a bigger role going to a low major was the smart move.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Scanning quickly, I though this said "Twin"....
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Bahahahaha

Too funny

A lot of the fans on here who shit talk PC fans tend to have these type of takes.
I have plenty of close friends that are PC fans and they are very respectful to Rhody. We have some good PC fans that post here as well. Unfortunately, some of the PC trolls on Twitter are brutal. I hate to see any of our Rhody fans sink to their level.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Bahahahaha

Too funny

See ya and good riddance
Oh come on man. Really, "wimped out"? Archie probably told him that it would be best to find a team that fits his style. Walker was underutilized at URI and worked his ass off every game.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

The Dude wrote: 2 years ago
WOW! This is what happens when people surround themselves with people who tell them what they want to hear rather than what they need to hear.
The part about playing for a program that is conducive to their style of play is laughable. What style is that? Having the centers be point guards that bring the ball up the floor and then do spin move in the paint and nearly fall down while turning the ball over? The let me do whatever I want to do on the court, rather than be leaders & team players, even though I contribute to my team consistently losing games style? :roll:
Don't even get me started on the NBA part. I want to smoke what they're smoking. That must be some good shit. Not hating on these guys, but there is ZERO and I mean ZERO percent change that either of those guys even sniff the NBA or NBA G league.
They’re not going to hire an agent. They are going to go through the “NBA draft process” which is just getting some feedback on things to improve on. 100s of kids will do this and then ultimately return to school.

It’s a weird look at me move for some of these kids egos though.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Regarding anything I see/read coming from the Mitchell’s…

That’s all I have to say.

I am speechless. I am without speech.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Hold on a second - maybe I am wrong - but didn’t Antwan enter the portal BEFORE archie was named coach ?

That is what I am pissed off about in my criticism

If I got that wrong then my bad

If I got that right then I stand by my sentiment
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The Dude wrote: 2 years ago I don't blame Walker. Actually, I think going to Bryant is a good decision. He can be an impact player on a team & coach that's on the rise and has a good shot to finally play in the NCAA Tournament, which I'm sure is what a lot of guys want to do when they play college basketball. I think he saw a good opportunity and took it. I'm bummed he left, but happy for him.
Is the team on the rise and is the coach on the rise? Certainly doesn't seem like it for next year.

Bryant could be losing the leading scorer in the nation unless Kiss keeps going full Tommy Boy and they're taking a small step up in conference. Certainly seems like a team poised to take a step back next year.

Grasso was mentioned for a bunch of jobs by the media but was he actually a serious contender at any of them?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

If the twins want to go back to school, a good potential landing spot would be Morgan State. Former Maryland assistant Kevin Broadus is the head coach. He was the assistant who recruited the twins to Maryland, but left to take the job at Morgan before they got to Maryland. Will be interesting to see where they end up.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Hold on a second - maybe I am wrong - but didn’t Antwan enter the portal BEFORE archie was named coach ?

That is what I am pissed off about in my criticism

If I got that wrong then my bad

If I got that right then I stand by my sentiment
Walker did enter the portal prior to the hiring of Archie.
But even after that and probably having discussions with Archie he decided to remain in the portal and pursue other opportunities

Regardless of all that, still not sure why you feel that way, although yeah you are entitled to your opinion of him.

Twan was a loyal Cox guy, both from the same area and recruited by him.
Not uncommon for players to have that bonding relationship with their coach.
Also it is very common when there is a coaching change, especially in this case, for players to leave.

Something obviously clicked with him and Grasso and saw himself as a good fit for Bryant.

If that is what he wants good for him, I wish him well.

I moved on from these players and am anxious to see how our new staff and roster comes together.
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

I had dinner with two college coaches a week ago and they said the only two they would want back are Walker & Martin.
Agree.
While ultimately it falls on Cox,the players need to look themselves in mirror.
A better effort could have won a lot more games.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

For all the Twan bashers out there, here's some reminders of what he did - and was done to him - last season, per Bill Koch's ProJo article:

URI featured Walker in inconsistent fashion throughout the majority of his tenure. The most curious example came in a 75-63 home loss to Massachusetts in February 2021. Walker destroyed the Minutemen for 26 points and 14 rebounds but played just 24 minutes — Makhel Mitchell was ineffective offensively by comparison in 30 minutes while DJ Johnson and Jermaine Harris combined for 22 minutes off the bench.

He appeared in 30 games for the Rams last year, averaging 7.5 points and 4.7 rebounds in just 21.0 minutes. Walker was among the top 100 2-point shooters nationally for the second straight campaign while breaking into the individual KenPom.com rankings in offensive rebound percentage and blocked shot percentage.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ahhh.. so we are blaming Archie for Antwan entering the portal when Archie wasn't even the coach yet

i got it now

he leaves URI and i am suppose to applaud that ?

this isn't anything personal about Antwan

but don't blame Archie when he left before Archie was named
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Basically we have one player left who could be a starter next season [Martin].

I doubt Carey will be, but he could be very useful as a role player. Same for Thomas.

The rest? Not good enough.

I wonder if Archie himself realized just how big the initial rebuild would be when he took the job.

But he's all in, and we'll be better off down the road for it.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Basically we have one player left who could be a starter next season [Martin].

I doubt Carey will be, but he could be very useful as a role player. Same for Thomas.

The rest? Not good enough.

I wonder if Archie himself realized just how big the initial rebuild would be when he took the job.

But he's all in, and we'll be better off down the road for it.
I'm sure Archie knew exactly how big the rebuild would be- that may have even been a reason he took the job.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i am not worried honestly

i feel we have a professional coach and things wil sort out and we wil be in the NCAA

i never understood why a player would enter the portal before knowing the coach

and before people bash me - my main point is that i root for the name in front of the jersey first (Rhody) and foremost and not the name on the back (Antwan)

so, yes it is his right to leave.. but don't expect me to throw bouquets at him

we are moving on and will make the NCAA nexy year

not a doubt in my mind

you all will see
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago ahhh.. so we are blaming Archie for Antwan entering the portal when Archie wasn't even the coach yet

i got it now

You laughed at the kid and called him a wimp.. No one is blaming Archie. We are saying that we don't know what happened.

Walker had a great relationship with the head coach, that was fired, so he went into the portal. So that makes him a wimp? Give me a break.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I would have liked to have had Walker, or the Mitchells, stay with the program. Right now, we're going into the season with Samb as the only frontcourt option, which seems less than optimal. Yes, some teams have managed to be competitive while shuffling 5+ roster spots, but I imagine they're in the minority. While I've always thought that the lack of star / All-A10 level talent doomed last year's roster to be around .500 at best, I think it would have been helpful for Archie if some of them decided to stick around.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Still pretty surprised about Walker. I assume he was afraid of being buried on the bench since he was very underutilized this season.
GO RAMS
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago

Bryant is lame? Well they seem to keep improving while people like you talk smack. Let’s see how they do this season. I’ll always support a local low major program like Bryant.
I get it. I respect your opinion. I am from Westchester NY and I always root for Iona. That said, I do not care about Bryant.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Still pretty surprised about Walker. I assume he was afraid of being buried on the bench since he was very underutilized this season.
URI for 2022-23 is pretty much a giant question mark. If you have one college year left, you probably value some certainty, which Bryant can provide. He'll probably get as many minutes as he can play, since he's quite a bit better than the usual big man recruit at that level, and maybe even be the focal point of the offense. Disregarding the NCAA tournament aspect of it, all of that's probably better for his pro scouting tape than his current stuff from URI.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago ahhh.. so we are blaming Archie for Antwan entering the portal when Archie wasn't even the coach yet

i got it now

You laughed at the kid and called him a wimp.. No one is blaming Archie. We are saying that we don't know what happened.

Walker had a great relationship with the head coach, that was fired, so he went into the portal. So that makes him a wimp? Give me a break.
Because the young man didn't do things exactly as ECR wanted, instead focusing on what the young man feels is best for him/ his family, ECR feels he is a wimp. Maybe if he posts a few sets of long, rambling song lyrics from 30 years ago you would see things his way?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but It's always so odd to me when the same people that take shots at every guy who transfers out are then also so accepting of guys that transfer in. I mean I guess it's just the way fans are sometimes, but I struggle to get how the guys leaving are "wimps", "quitters", "need to learn a lesson" etc. etc. but the guys transferring in are great!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Good move for Walker. I think with his skill set he will do very well at the low major level.

I could see Walker doing a Jarelle Reischel 180 where his stat line next year looks completely different from his stat line at URI.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but It's always so odd to me when the same people that take shots at every guy who transfers out are then also so accepting of guys that transfer in. I mean I guess it's just the way fans are sometimes, but I struggle to get how the guys leaving are "wimps", "quitters", "need to learn a lesson" etc. etc. but the guys transferring in are great!
Double edged sword for sure.
GO RAMS