Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Archie Miller Conspiracy Thread.

Unread post by ace »

I beg some of you, please get a sense of humor. Please. It will be so important as we make our way through the next few weeks.

It’s also not the best look to leave an assistant coaching job in late August because your feelings got a little hurt. Coaching is a tough game, go get yours, though. That spot eventually turned into Luke Murray, so it’s all good.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago I hate to suggest this but is it possible that Miller is leaking this to put pressure on some other school that he wants to go to?

I just think people are getting a little ahead of themselves on this. We're already talking about potential assistant coaches and he hasn't signed yet. Let's just wait until that happens, if it happens.
The negativity, the fear, and just the beaten-down feeling of "we don't deserve this" is hilarious and sad.

This is happening. This is real. URI is capable of being what we all know it can be, and FINALLY our donors are meeting that match. Our athletic director is ELITE. The commitment is real. I can't even say we're back, because we've never been here before. We went out and got literally the best, no impending NCAA violation, available coach in the country. Full stop.

Archie Miller would be a splash hire for any program - regardless of how things ended at Indiana. But our donors, our AD, our program went and got him.

That Thamel piece on ESPN was probably the most positively, flowery, gassed up piece on URI I've ever read from a national writer. Our local writers don't even gas us up like that.

"URI's commitment to basketball, the school's marquee sport" "proud program" "proven launching pad for coaches" - that's a release from Miller's camp gassing up the job, making it (rightly) look like this is a great place to coach and win, and something both parties would benefit from.

You release that when you're trying to generate buzz for incoming recruits and for incoming staff. College basketball is a sales job. You have to sell your product - to the media, to other programs, to fans.

The end goal is the tourney. Always. To do that you need big wins during the season. You can't get those big wins if you don't get those big games. You can't get those big games if there's not a buzz around your program. You can't get those big players to win those big games if there's not a buzz around the program.

See you at the presser next week.

- Pres, CEO, SVP - AMFC
Last edited by Blue Man 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If Archie was indeed trying to put pressure on another school, he wouldn't need to leak things out on national media.

There are many other ways to make intentions known that don't involve a public reveal.

There are a ton of private dealings that don't make the news.
And yet, people leak stuff to the media for exactly this reason all the time.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
scine20 wrote: 2 years ago I hate to suggest this but is it possible that Miller is leaking this to put pressure on some other school that he wants to go to?

I just think people are getting a little ahead of themselves on this. We're already talking about potential assistant coaches and he hasn't signed yet. Let's just wait until that happens, if it happens.
The negativity, the fear, and just the beaten-down feeling of "we don't deserve this" is hilarious and sad.

This is happening. This is real. URI is capable of being what we all know it can be, and FINALLY our donors are meeting that match. Our athletic director is ELITE. The commitment is real. I can't even say we're back, because we've never been here before. We went out and got literally the best, no impending NCAA violation, available coach in the country. Full stop.

Archie Miller would be a splash hire for any program - regardless of how things ended at Indiana. But our donors, our AD, our program went and got him.

That Thamel piece on ESPN was probably the most positively, flowery, gassed up piece on URI I've ever read from a national writer. Our local writers don't even gas us up like that.

"URI's commitment to basketball, the school's marquee sport" "proud program" "proven launching pad for coaches" - that's a release from Miller's camp gassing up the job, making it (rightly) look like this is a great place to coach and win, and something both parties would benefit from.

You release that when you're trying to generate buzz for incoming recruits and for incoming staff. College basketball is a sales job. You have to sell your product - to the media, to other programs, to fans.

The end goal is the tourney. Always. To do that you need big wins during the season. You can't get those big wins if you don't get those big games. You can't get those big games if there's not a buzz around your program. You can't get those big players to win those big games if there's not a buzz around the program.

- Pres, CEO, SVP - AMFC
I actually agree with all of this but I also think people have to manage expectations in their own way. My own way is to wait for something to happen that is irreversible before I commit emotionally because I’ve seen too many things go sideways in the final mile to set myself up for that kind of letdown. But, i think people being overly skeptical here are also depriving themselves of some joy and excitement that makes being a fan a thing worth doing. Barring something going sideways in the final mile, we are about to do something that totally changes the trajectory of the program. Good to feel good about that.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Gee, Xavier or UMass? Tough choice …. Not.
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Hahahahahaahahahahaha
To at least give 72 someeee credit, his last sentence is actually correct.
It’s the “I heard from an agent” part that made me laugh. Did you also tell that agent your fantastic idea of having Tammi Reiss coach the men and women basketball team at the same time?

I don’t think anyone knows anything. Honestly, I was told it’s Mack or Bobby for splash hires, and Archie was out from a few people that usually give me good intel. It looks like they were wrong. The new rumors are we have a press conference set up for next week which means this is going to be happening soon, right? Who the hell knows

I don’t want to get my hopes up until it’s official. Please, god let this happen!!
R72 probably was watching the local Ska band "The Agents" (a great band and fun to see btw) and got their opinion on the matter, so technically he's not lying? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

- Pres, CEO, SVP - AMFC
I actually agree with all of this but I also think people have to manage expectations in their own way. My own way is to wait for something to happen that is irreversible before I commit emotionally because I’ve seen too many things go sideways in the final mile to set myself up for that kind of letdown. But, i think people being overly skeptical here are also depriving themselves of some joy and excitement that makes being a fan a thing worth doing. Barring something going sideways in the final mile, we are about to do something that totally changes the trajectory of the program. Good to feel good about that.
Agreed. But this stuff doesn’t get leaked like this unless it’s there. The “state job posting” thing could be the only reason that it’s not “official” wink wink nudge nudge.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Since the posting is open until the 25th (or whatever day it is), is the school still obligated to take and review applications until the posting runs out?
steviep123
Sly Williams

So what I take from all this is that the boosters and everyone are FINALLY in for what it takes to get the man, but they also need to understand this can't be a one shot deal and needs to be continuous maintanence.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRamFan69
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRamFan69 »

This tweet implies that Cox was effectively fired at the beginning of February :lol:
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago So what I take from all this is that the boosters and everyone are FINALLY in for what it takes to get the man, but they also need to understand this can't be a one shot deal and needs to be continuous maintanence.
I think that's the point. Getting Archie to agree means doing what Dan did here (and I assume he had many conversations with Dan), putting those improvements in his contract.

The coaches pool, the charter flights.

I am in LOVE with Archie as a coach - but why I really wanted him was because I knew that to get him meant that the program would have to operate and be funded differently than ever before.

Once you start this carousel with Archie - you're never going back to the way it was. The practice facility will be here. The standard for the other investments will go up. And when Archie leaves for the big time (or pulls a Travis Ford), we'll know the level of investment expected.

I assume the assistants pool will be big enough to ensure Archie can keep quality guys, more importantly not name a "coach in waiting" like we had to to keep Cox as AHC.

The charters and everything else, obviously combined with Archie, will raise the talent level here. The investments will make us Dayton or VCU, and the expectations of players, coaches, and results will go up.

A rising tide raises all boats. And man oh man did our AD and donors go and make a tsunami.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 2 years ago
This tweet implies that Cox was effectively fired at the beginning of February :lol:
When was the home game against UMass when Cox was late to his post game press conference because he was talking to Thorr? Not saying Thorr told Cox he was done then, but Thorr probably knew then it was over
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I mean…we fired him in November on this board. Hardly surprising that all of this was in motion for a while - Thorr was watching the same stuff we were.

I hope people recognize what a phenomenal job the guy has done, btw. All of his hires, save for Cox which he essentially had his hands tied on because of that arrangement and who the fan base was at least partially sold on, have worked. And more to the point, as blueman has been alluding to, selling the donors and marshaling their support to a place where this type of hire is realistically possible is a huge accomplishment if you understand the culture and the history of this athletic department. I don’t think this fan base appreciates the guy nearly enough - we acknowledge how this job can be hard despite its obvious upside for a coach, but Thorr is basically in the same spot minus the potential payoff of getting all the credit when they succeed.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That same person had Kimani Young about to accept the Umass job a week ago. He’s fugazi.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Wouldnt surprise me if he was informed he would not be returning and they held the official announcement until the season was done. Doesn't do either side any good to announce it during the season, embarrasses the outgoing coach and makes the program look petty
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago
Wouldnt surprise me if he was informed he would not be returning and they held the official announcement until the season was done. Doesn't do either side any good to announce it during the season, embarrasses the outgoing coach and makes the program look petty
Or said another way - would make us UMass.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I mean…we fired him in November on this board. Hardly surprising that all of this was in motion for a while - Thorr was watching the same stuff we were.

I hope people recognize what a phenomenal job the guy has done, btw. All of his hires, save for Cox which he essentially had his hands tied on because of that arrangement and who the fan base was at least partially sold on, have worked. And more to the point, as blueman has been alluding to, selling the donors and marshaling their support to a place where this type of hire is realistically possible is a huge accomplishment if you understand the culture and the history of this athletic department. I don’t think this fan base appreciates the guy nearly enough - we acknowledge how this job can be hard despite its obvious upside for a coach, but Thorr is basically in the same spot minus the potential payoff of getting all the credit when they succeed.
This. All of this. 110% of this.

Thorr Bjorn is the best in the business. It's lost on a lot of people how hard he works, the people he's brought into athletics at URI, and how he's replaced phenomenal people that have moved to big time programs with even more phenomenal people. I'm talking about all of athletics, not just coaches. It is a miracle for what he's been able to do with what he's been given.

That man deserves our praise, adoration, and donations - so that he can continue to make the place that we all love the best it can be.

Every program in the top 12 conferences of NCAA basketball has money around it. Whether or not the donors are willing to spend it is a direct result of the vision, salesmanship, and leadership of the athletic director.

Cox was the right hire at the time, as we were contractually obligated to follow through on it - because we didn't have the budget for Hurley to retain Cox without that addendum.

Thorr doesn't miss. He's made every right move if you're plugged in enough to URI and if you understand the limitations and realities here.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Today's sports media are the epitome of the old lady gossip biddies. One of them starts it off and the rest run with it spreading it all over. Most of them have no real insight into the accuracy of some news but instead just work to spread it around.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago

Or said another way - would make us UMass.

if Thorr was really talking with Archie before the season was over-kudos to Thorr. I have changed my mind that I thought Cox should be fired weeks ago. No need th do this since Thorr was apparently doing what he should have been doing. 😀👋👋

Now my concern is the period of time in which there is no signed contract- This is a vulnerable time with any other interested schools making a true final and best offer.

Of course it would not surprise me if Thorr has a signed contract already and not making it official yet for other reasons.

( Give Thorr a raise)
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

To at least give 72 someeee credit, his last sentence is actually correct.
It’s the “I heard from an agent” part that made me laugh. Did you also tell that agent your fantastic idea of having Tammi Reiss coach the men and women basketball team at the same time?

I don’t think anyone knows anything. Honestly, I was told it’s Mack or Bobby for splash hires, and Archie was out from a few people that usually give me good intel. It looks like they were wrong. The new rumors are we have a press conference set up for next week which means this is going to be happening soon, right? Who the hell knows

I don’t want to get my hopes up until it’s official. Please, god let this happen!!
R72 probably was watching the local Ska band "The Agents" (a great band and fun to see btw) and got their opinion on the matter, so technically he's not lying? :lol: :lol: :lol:
they still around??

wish M-80 and Racquetball were.
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

they still around??

wish M-80 and Racquetball were.
Hell yeah they are! Saw them a few months back, they're recording new music, and have a show coming up in Providence
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ESPN does not post that article if it's not a done deal. Period.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i have been told similar from my buddy who knows Thamel

fingers crossed tho

let's make this official !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago i have been told similar from my buddy who knows Thamel

fingers crossed tho

let's make this official !
This worries me a little, ECR. You've been 100% convinced about Archie for a while now. Why the 'fingers crossed'?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

FEAR NOT

just making sure you were paying attention to my non-lyrical posts !

Look at what's happened to me
I can't believe it myself
Suddenly I'm up on top of the world
It should have been somebody else
Believe it or not, I'm walkin' on air
I never thought I could feel so free
Finally we have a real coach at RHODY
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's ARCHIE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago FEAR NOT

just making sure you were paying attention to my non-lyrical posts !

Look at what's happened to me
I can't believe it myself
Suddenly I'm up on top of the world
It should have been somebody else
Believe it or not, I'm walkin' on air
I never thought I could feel so free
Finally we have a real coach at RHODY
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's ARCHIE
AKA, The Greatest American Hero.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Now I have that song stuck in my head! And I probably haven’t heard it in 30 years!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If Miller is hired wouldn't mind seeing Matt Abdelmassih as an assistant.

He is available and ESPN rated him the #1 transfer recruiter in the nation.
Very familiar with the Northeast, graduated and coached at St. John's.

Later joined Hoiberg at Iowa State and then Nebraska. I
Last year recruited the #18 class in the country and #3 B10.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Now I have that song stuck in my head! And I probably haven’t heard it in 30 years!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This song is on repeat
I can't stop listening!!! Please make this happen
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Now I have that song stuck in my head! And I probably haven’t heard it in 30 years!
One of my favs !!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Good stuff
steviep123
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
See you - raise you:

Bleed Keaney Blue!

RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Awesome!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

We went and got ARCHIE F*CKING MILLER.

Fin.

Doubters; welcome aboard.

Millerites (workshopping) let's trade in those tin foils hats for some Keaney Blue ones.

WELCOME TO THE GOLDEN AGE.

Give to Rhody's NIL
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

If this happens let's hope that he brings more Aces and less DC_Rams.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hearing something BlueMan?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Booom!?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Hearing something BlueMan?
NEVER QUESTION BLUEMAN AGAIN!!!!!!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

:lol:
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

NEVER !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Haven't seen a tweet yet
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Haven't seen a tweet yet
I trust Blue Man on this call.

Let's get a great staff with him, have confidence in his hires.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Hoping to see Archie around the RC and the women's game tomorrow. That tells me he's here, working, getting set up for a place to live, etc.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

BlueMan knoweth things......
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago We went and got ARCHIE F*CKING MILLER.

Fin.

Doubters; welcome aboard.

Millerites (workshopping) let's trade in those tin foils hats for some Keaney Blue ones.

WELCOME TO THE GOLDEN AGE.
God I hope this ages well.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago

Best cheesesteak in new england 🪦
What happened? Seemed like they hit on a winning formula. Tough location though - smack dab on a curve.
Covid. Plus I think they might have overextended themselves by opening one in Providence plus I think they even opened some kind of pizza place in Providence as well
I went twice before it closed...decent food, not great, small servings, steep prices, for what you got. Right around the corner from my house, never went, just didn't see the value...jmho.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Hoping to see Archie around the RC and the women's game tomorrow. That tells me he's here, working, getting set up for a place to live, etc.
My guess it’s a little early for that hope I’m wrong
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago If Miller is hired wouldn't mind seeing Matt Abdelmassih as an assistant.

He is available and ESPN rated him the #1 transfer recruiter in the nation.
Very familiar with the Northeast, graduated and coached at St. John's.

Later joined Hoiberg at Iowa State and then Nebraska. I
Last year recruited the #18 class in the country and #3 B10.
Matt is a well respected recruiter but that's all he does. He gets paid big money to bring players in. Paid 400,000 plus and has no other coaching responsibilities just recruit. That won't work here.