Sharnee Zoll URI Women's Hoops Asst Coach next podcast.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Sharnee Zoll URI Women's Hoops Asst Coach next podcast.

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys. Sorry for the last minute post. Crazy times for us all as URI hoops fanatics. My next guest is Sharnee Zoll tomorrow, the former WNBA star, all-time leading assist leader in the nation at UVA, USA gold medalist and assistant URI women's basketball coach.

I have a lot of questions for her like what went on in the last game against St. Joes at the A10 tournament as well as what to expect for next years team.

Any questions?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Sharnee Zoll URI Women's Hoops Asst Coach next podcast.

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Does she think Tahane will return next season for her additional year of eligibility.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What was your experience like playing @ Virginia and how did you decide to get in the coaching ranks ??
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Got them all. Thanks
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott,
Sorry If I’m too late…..

1. Will there be an announcement on Anete-Elisabeth Adler from Estonia? Read that she committed to URI. Will she be enrolling for fall semester? How good is she?
2. Eva DeChent is Class of 2023 now in post season play. Have you and/or Tammi been to any of her playoff games? How excited is the staff for Eva to be joining URI for the 2023-24 season? How valuable was it to get a commitment from Eva early in her Junior year?
3. Any news on an OOC tournament for 2022-23 season?
4. Can you share what you know about the Practice facility timing? How will the Practice Facility benefit our current team and to what extent will it help with recruiting?
5. How hard will URI hit the transfer portal this year to fulfill next seasons team?
6. Plans to get P6 teams on next years schedule? Beef up the OOC?
7. Outlook for 2022-23?
8. Congrats to the team on the excellent results and continued progress.

Thanks Scott
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey everyone. Great questions. Once again. Here is the YouTube podcast.

Sharnee is the assistant coach of the Woman’s Rhody Hoops team. She was the all-time leading assist leader in the NCAA.

Why Tune in?
Sharnee reveals if 6-1 star forward Emmanuelle Tahane will be returning?
Why Rhody lost to St. Joes in the first round of the A10 Tournament
How good will Rhody be next season after losing four starters?
Is URI good enough to beat Dayton?
Which University is prettier URI or Virginia?
Whose better Kobe or MJ?
How she once got blamed for a player's turnover while sitting on the bench?
That she was more excited about catching a glimpse of Kobe than playing for the Los Angeles Galaxy?
What is was like playing in the WNBA, for Team USA in the Olympics, and Poland for nine seasons.
What it is like coaching for Tammi Reiss?
How she got the gig as assistant coach of the URI team?

And much, much, more.

Sharnee was the 29th pick in the WNBA draft and played for the Los Angeles Sparks, Chicago Sky, and Minnesota Lynx. She is also an Olympic Gold Medalist winner for Team USA.

Sharnee played eleven seasons in Europe in Turkey Rumania, and Poland. She played nine of those seasons in Poland, where she was named the 2018 Eurocup guard of the year. Sharnee is a five-time Eurobasket All-Polish First Team recipient.

In the podcast Sharnee provides insight on the URI basketball team.

The podcast also includes video highlights of Sharnee’s illustrious career overseas as well as seeing her micd up during a URI basketball practice. In addition, Tammi Reiss, URI head coach can be heard in an audio interview.

A large part of the video, involves coach Zoll providing her views about how to succeed in basketball and life.

WNBA

Sharnee explains what that was like to play in the WNBA

Overseas

Played in Poland for nine seasons which is incredible. Sharnee bought into the culture. She was never about chasing money. "Poland was truly my home. I felt like my home was Poland and I would visit America.”

USA Gold Medal

When we went to Tunisia, there were kids lined up and they just wanted a headband. It was humbling for her to come off the bench the first time in her career.

Talks in depth about Kobe Bryant.

Some of her funny stories include:

How she does not having any celebration skills after she makes a great play. All she has is just a simple fist pump.

And when she played at UVA everyone thought she looked like Tammi.

University of Rhode Island

I don’t think the players know anything about my playing days. I don’t talk to them about it. Sharnee reveals how she was hired at URI and her amazing relationship with Tammi.

Introduces viewers to the entire URI coaching staff. Who they are and what they do.

Coach A or Adeniyi Amadou is the assistant coach in charge of the offense and international recruiting.

Corey Machioni is the director of basketball operations.

Coach Reiss: She brings the energy every day. When she comes in it is like a lightning bolt. The greatest thing about coach Reiss is her heart. She is always giving other people credit for their success.

Stefan Wasilewski is the Graduate Assistant.

Megan Shoniker, who is the assistant coach, is a lot like coach Reiss. She is very passionate and in charge of the defensive effort and recruiting.

Was Dayton Beatable?

Sharnee answers that question and says URI had to get 50 50 balls and can’t miss wide open layups. “You have to make them work for everything.” Sharnee believes that they have the skills to beat Dayton and have to put forth the effort for 40 minutes.

What happened in the St. Joes loss

“I think we were not prepared for how hard they were going to come out. They were a bunch of tough nosed gritty kids that had nothing to lose. It’s very difficult to play someone who has nothing to lose. There is no pressure. And they got everything they wanted. We didn’t give them enough resistances. And I hope it was a learning experience. So we can’t take games and possessions for granted.

What about next year’s team

"Obviously our team is going to look a lot different by losing four starters. Our young kids have seen what it takes to get where they are by are seniors. We will have kids that are hungry and play hard. It may not look as pretty. It will be coach Reiss style of Play: Intense, in-your-face and ready to play."

Is Emmanuelle Tahane coming back?

"It has not been a conversation. Unsure about the Covid year. We are planning like she is graduating."

Her thoughts on the Polish people and how they have literally give the shirts off their back for the Ukrainian Refuges.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great interview Scott keep them coming
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks Reef. Sharnee has made me even more of a Rhody WBB fan and she is a legend in women's hoop. Former all-time assist leader in the nation. Cmon now.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott,
Really enjoyed your interview. Love seeing how well your interact with your guests and how comfortable the podcasts are.
Impressed how Sharnee said she doesn’t like the term “rebuild” because it sounds like a built-in excuse.
Thank you
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thx Ramster. She is so damn competitive. When she’s on the court watch out.