Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Interesting nuggets right there.

Surprised he's heard Archie would be most interested in coaching at GW.
Go Rhody
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting nuggets right there.

Yeah that one he said right when I turned on and said he had received a couple of calls from people he knows stating that again it was the belief that Archie's wife does not like a rural setting like Amherst at Kingston she loves the city life
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah that one he said right when I turned on and said he had received a couple of calls from people he knows stating that again it was the belief that Archie's wife does not like a rural setting like Amherst at Kingston she loves the city life
but the Golden Corral in Dayton was f'n awesome!!!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

One of the guys that joined the conversation was involved in New Jersey AAU and was the supposed guy with New Jersey ties said his cousin, is The associate head coach at Colgate so he was very familiar with Langel
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The east side of Providence isn't too far away from Kingston!
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah this is an interesting take - considering Bloomington is an hour from Indianapolis, and the only fun thing to do is Dayton is pack up and leave. Bloomington is the size of Cranston. Dayton is smaller than Providence.

She would be as close to Boston living in EG as she was to Indianapolis.

I have a feeling if it comes down to location - beaches tend to be a decent pull for prospective residents.

I did hear that she is the hard sell for any job. I think the LSU gymnastics thing with their daughter is a bigger deal than city life or not.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I agree with Rambone78, nut I'm not optimistic that it will happen. It represents a big increase in expenditures at time when we have lost paying customers for good, we are on the hook to pay Cox $300K the next 2 years, we have little talent returning, and we have to retain Tammi Reiss. Consider the difficulty we have funding the practice facility.
What a ray of morning sunshine.
I really wish I was as good at ANYTHING as R72 is at trolling this board
I tuned out after his opening line
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah this is an interesting take - considering Bloomington is an hour from Indianapolis, and the only fun thing to do is Dayton is pack up and leave. Bloomington is the size of Cranston. Dayton is smaller than Providence.

I have a feeling if it comes down to location - beaches tend to be a decent pull for prospective residents.

I did hear that she is the hard sell for any job. I think the LSU gymnastics thing with their daughter is a bigger deal than city life or not.
Nothing a college kid loves more than their parents living on campus with them
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

It’s funny how being in RI skews our view of rural, since 20 mins here is a day trip
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago It’s funny how being in RI skews our view of rural, since 20 mins here is a day trip
Exactly. A reverse commute from Providence isn't exactly a far commute for non Rhode Islanders.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I jumped in the middle and talking about Archie Miller is when I first got in I am pretty sure that's what he said about city life. But you make an excellent point. Also, at least the time I was listening I did not hear him say anything about URI he was referring to the wife would not go to Amherst. Did not hear him mention any names in conjunction with URI
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If only we still had our gymnastics team!
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

There’s more that goes into hiring a coach then I thought. Need to please the whole family I guess. Providence is a hop a skip and a jump from Kingston. Or Newport. If she took a tour of the city by the sea, I’m sure she’d be encouraged.
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This guy has an interesting story:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/15/march-m ... areer.html

Can’t remember if his story has already been discussed. So sorry if it’s a duplicate.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago There’s more that goes into hiring a coach then I thought. Need to please the whole family I guess. Providence is a hop a skip and a jump from Kingston. Or Newport. If she took a tour of the city by the sea, I’m sure she’d be encouraged.
I think it depends a lot on how much leverage the coach has. Archie Miller probably has his pick of mid-major jobs, plus, he could just *not* work - I think Indiana still owes him cash for a couple years. I believe it was common knowledge that the Hurley family liked the Rhode Island area while they were here.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

I don't mean for him to take the LSU job - I think there's too many question marks with what sort of penalties that will be levied.

I do think it's a consideration for regional travel to be able to go to as many of her gymnastics meets as possible.

Like when Pitt was offering Hurley, talk of private jet hours for his family to get quickly to Jersey and vice versa were thrown around. A donor may need to get inventive with similar offers to sell Morgan on moving further away.

The only difference between the have and have nots of basketball is having the donors who want to spend the money. Between soloviev, ryan, fascitelli - there's no shortage of funds, just a matter of if they want to give them to basketball or not.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Our donors are willing to pay for the coaches they want.

Who would fit that criteria right now?

Not long ago it was Pitino.....my guess now it could be Slick Rick again, Archie, Mack, Bobby....who else?

If we want our program to reach the next level, it's the donors who will make it happen.

If we hire another big question mark, as Cox was, then it won't happen, again.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rambone, Could be Pitino. I’m with 208. What could have been. Particularly frustrating after these last 4 years.

https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/483200002

https://www.aseaofblue.com/platform/amp ... ick-pitino

https://www.nationofblue.com/golocalpro ... s-correct/

Next game is in NIT:

No. 3 Florida vs. Iona at Gainesville FL | Wednesday, March 16, 9 p.m. on ESPN2
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Crazy story about Griff Aldrich - HC of Longwood Lancers playing in NCAA Tournament. Shows it’s not always about the money.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/03/15/mar ... areer.html
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 72 is forgetting about the boosters.
Without them he would be right.
Again, I agree with you. I'm aware of 1 big gift for the practice facility, but that hasn't been enough. I''d give T Boone Pickens an honorary degree but he died 2 years ago. URI doesn't have many real wealthy athletic boosters, and they are not billionaires.
NCAAs or Bust!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Again, I agree with you. I'm aware of 1 big gift for the practice facility, but that hasn't been enough. I''d give T Boone Pickens an honorary degree but he died 2 years ago. URI doesn't have many real wealthy athletic boosters, and they are not billionaires.
No, but some are very wealthy. https://wallmine.com/people/30650/michael-d-fascitelli , https://wallmine.com/people/30026/thomas-l-ryan
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Keep in mind that these donors have donated huge money to URI and pretty recently. I don't have that type of money so I don't know what goes through someone's head but when I just gave $10 million to URI in 2019 (like Fascitelli) or $35 million in 2019 (like Tom Ryan), this expectation that they are going to just open up the checkbook seems a little bit of ridiculous expectation imo.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago I listened to part of a coaching search show on Twitter last night . It was run by the UMass insider Curry Hicks Malaise. A couple of nuggets that he and his guests said. He appears to be pretty plugged in fwiw.

He said he heard Archie Miller would be most interested in GW job for A10 openings. He said his wife likes city living and he doesn't think Archie would even consider UMass Said nothing about URI. Also Archie would really like PC job if it opens up, not sure what that comment was.

Said Anthony Grant is in play to return the Florida at which point Archie would be the logical candidate to go back to Dayton

It seems UMass fans want ,#1Martin & #2 Young. Then mentioned Langel, Todd Golden (as a very long shot from SF) & Dwayne Killings

He said UMass would offer in the range of 1.5 million probably that being the max.

Shaheen Holloway is a rising star who's a relentless worker and can really recruit .He will be on SH radar if Willard's leaves.

Frank Martin had begged for a UConn interview when they hired Dan and would more than likely be very interested in St John's or Seton Hall if they opened up

Had a guy supposedly an insider on the New Jersey scene and both of them thought that it was a definite possibility that Bob Hurley could return to coach either Seton Hall or SJU if they opened up

It was also said that John Becker is a very,very strange guy but an excellent coach . Basically the personality of a rock

Even though he really liked Langel, and the guy can really coach said he's a bit strange as well and questioned his ability to recruit at the a-10 level.

With all SEC jobs open he expects a couple of them to throw big money to try to lure Rick P. Also St John's could make a big push.

Also said Wojo will be in mix for A 10 type job.

Talked very highly of John Carroll from NMH would Make a wonderful assistant somewhere was hoping UMass would contact him.

Also talked highly of Mike Rice has a coach and the great work he's doing with AAU teams and kids trying to recover his reputation. Called him a great coach to who would be an incredible asset to any team and is willing to just get his foot in the door somewhere, anywhere and even be a 2nd or 3rd assistant in a division 1 program

I'm not familiar with the guy and a friend actually pointed out that he was having a show about the coaching carousel..But him and 1 or 2 of his guests seen pretty plugged in especially him with UMass
I like Holloway if we can’t make a splash hire , this saying he’s a tireless worker who can recruit is good
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
No, but some are very wealthy. https://wallmine.com/people/30650/michael-d-fascitelli , https://wallmine.com/people/30026/thomas-l-ryan
Soloviev is a billionaire https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... landowners
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago I listened to part of a coaching search show on Twitter last night . It was run by the UMass insider Curry Hicks Malaise. A couple of nuggets that he and his guests said. He appears to be pretty plugged in fwiw.

He said he heard Archie Miller would be most interested in GW job for A10 openings. He said his wife likes city living and he doesn't think Archie would even consider UMass Said nothing about URI. Also Archie would really like PC job if it opens up, not sure what that comment was.

Said Anthony Grant is in play to return the Florida at which point Archie would be the logical candidate to go back to Dayton

It seems UMass fans want ,#1Martin & #2 Young. Then mentioned Langel, Todd Golden (as a very long shot from SF) & Dwayne Killings

He said UMass would offer in the range of 1.5 million probably that being the max.

Shaheen Holloway is a rising star who's a relentless worker and can really recruit .He will be on SH radar if Willard's leaves.

Frank Martin had begged for a UConn interview when they hired Dan and would more than likely be very interested in St John's or Seton Hall if they opened up

Had a guy supposedly an insider on the New Jersey scene and both of them thought that it was a definite possibility that Bob Hurley could return to coach either Seton Hall or SJU if they opened up

It was also said that John Becker is a very,very strange guy but an excellent coach . Basically the personality of a rock

Even though he really liked Langel, and the guy can really coach said he's a bit strange as well and questioned his ability to recruit at the a-10 level.

With all SEC jobs open he expects a couple of them to throw big money to try to lure Rick P. Also St John's could make a big push.

Also said Wojo will be in mix for A 10 type job.

Talked very highly of John Carroll from NMH would Make a wonderful assistant somewhere was hoping UMass would contact him.

Also talked highly of Mike Rice has a coach and the great work he's doing with AAU teams and kids trying to recover his reputation. Called him a great coach to who would be an incredible asset to any team and is willing to just get his foot in the door somewhere, anywhere and even be a 2nd or 3rd assistant in a division 1 program

I'm not familiar with the guy and a friend actually pointed out that he was having a show about the coaching carousel..But him and 1 or 2 of his guests seen pretty plugged in especially him with UMass
I like Holloway if we can’t make a splash hire , this saying he’s a tireless worker who can recruit is good
I'm in the same boat, Holloway is my first choice if we can't make a splash
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Wrong Tom Ryan...
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago
Wrong Tom Ryan...
Oops.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I thought Anderson was going to Tulsa ??
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
I thought Anderson was going to Tulsa ??
No, he wasn’t.

An unverified account tweeted it that he might.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My top 4 choices:

1. Archie
2. Bobby
3. Mack
4. RP

I don't dick around.

Splash!

Any one of them puts us back on the national basketball map!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago My top 4 choices:

1. Archie
2. Bobby
3. Mack
4. RP

I don't dick around.

Splash!

I agree but would reverse the order:
1.RP
2.Archie
3.Mack
4.Bobby
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

1. Archie
2. Bobby
3. Mack
4. RP

I don't dick around.

Splash!

Rambone , are your sources telling you that it’s a good chance we make a splash hire ??
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

. Wasn’t that one of Terrance Mann’s thoughts?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

1. Archie
2. Bobby
3. Mack
4. RP

I don't dick around.

Splash!

1.RP
2.Archie
3.Mack
4.Bobby
I’m down for these 4 in no particular order and I’ll add Ben Howland if he is truly out at Miss St and Tom Crean. I’m not very picky.
Last edited by steviep123 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Any of those except Pigino.
Slava Ukraini!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Bobby was an associate HC here and went straight to Buffalo as the top HC. Worked out for them.

And think of the Nate Oats scenario. Clearly, He seemed to do really well in a very short period of time from assistant to head coach at a pier 5.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Why do we have a list of 4 when it’s going to be Archie ?

Archie will be our next head coach
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Any of those except Pigino.
Why?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Why do we have a list of 4 when it’s going to be Archie ?

Archie will be our next head coach
:D
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Aren't they all?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If you're cool parents like us, absolutely.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago It’s funny how being in RI skews our view of rural, since 20 mins here is a day trip
Beautiful....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

If you're cool parents like us, absolutely.
:D . Yes you are!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

1. Archie
2. Bobby
3. Mack
4. RP

I don't dick around.

Splash!

1.RP
2.Archie
3.Mack
4.Bobby
Yep, kinda like this. No one flips the switch or would sell tix like The Rick. He's the top 3, then:

1. Rick
4. Archie
5. Mack
6. B Hurls
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

From what I'm hearing none of those names are on the list at this point. Think younger. Think up and coming like Danny.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Neither is in the category of Gina Raimondo never mind Jonathan Nelson. The two you named are URI rich.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago From what I'm hearing none of those names are on the list at this point. Think younger. Think up and coming like Danny.
Uggg. Cmon Iggy.