Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by ramster »

From the article.

U of Vermont might be hoping Becker moves on.

🗓 February 2022: The UVM men’s basketball team wins the America East regular season title amidst continued allegations against recent players, and the team’s official Instagram account is flooded with comments regarding the allegations against the team and the school’s lack of response. In turn, the school turns off social media replies for Vermont’s men’s basketball Instagram and Twitter accounts, along with UVM Athletics and the university’s Instagram accounts. Together, the University and athletics department then publish a statement it would soon delete due to the overwhelmingly negative response it received, stating that social media comments and allegations are not helpful. UVM administrators then send an email to students, faculty and staff stating they regret their earlier statements. These official comments once again spur students to protest and renew calls for changes in how UVM handles reporting of sexual misconduct cases and for justice for those like Kendall Ware. This includes calling for the firing of Vermont men’s basketball head coach John Becker. Vermont has kept social media comments across men’s basketball platforms disabled since.

https://www.rakevt.org/2022/03/12/uvm-b ... legations/
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Mooney guides Richmond to its third NCAA Tournament in his seventeen year career there. The first trip since their Sweet-16 run in 2011. It should probably get him a ten year contract extension.
To be fair to him - Richmond was 24-7 in 2019-20, so he almost certainly would have had four berths.
He just needed a handful of 6 year seniors and a miracle 4 day run to keep his job
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago We got people here bringing up Brad Stevens and Dan Hurley as potential coaches.

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
Red Holzman!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Mooney guides Richmond to its third NCAA Tournament in his seventeen year career there. The first trip since their Sweet-16 run in 2011. It should probably get him a ten year contract extension.
To be fair to him - Richmond was 24-7 in 2019-20, so he almost certainly would have had four berths.
He just needed a handful of 6 year seniors and a miracle 4 day run to keep his job
Sure... But ultimately, those experienced players that he recruited DID perform the best, when he needed them to. URI has at least two instances - one with Harrick, one with Hurley - where we either wouldn't have made the tournament without an A-10 title win, or, been squarely on the bubble.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Richmond is a program very similar to URI.....their expectations are too.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago We got people here bringing up Brad Stevens and Dan Hurley as potential coaches.

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
Red Holzman!
Rick Pitino
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Next thing you know someone will say coach K will come out of retirement to coach here.

Or Calhoun. Is John Wooden still dead?

The more ridiculous, the better.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Next thing you know someone will say coach K will come out of retirement to coach here.

Or Calhoun. Is John Wooden still dead?

The more ridiculous, the better.
I hope we get a coach who won the NCAA National Championship 2 years ago, comes in and gets the number 1 recruit in the nation. Oh wait, we already did that.
pfeilerchris
Jim Eitner

Unread post by pfeilerchris »

Chris Mack spotted at TF Greene :shock:

SG EDIT: This is the user's first and only post. I've approved it, but giving it this disclaimer.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Another thing that won't happen.....hiring all URI ex players for our staff.

The only thing I would want from Lamar, is donations to the school...that is, if he has any money left.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
My Steven’s suggestion was in jest. There’s no way he’s leaving the NBA.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Sure... But ultimately, those experienced players that he recruited DID perform the best, when he needed them to. URI has at least two instances - one with Harrick, one with Hurley - where we either wouldn't have made the tournament without an A-10 title win, or, been squarely on the bubble.
URI would have been in the first four in 2017 had they lost to VCU in the final. The selection committee chair specifically said so.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

pfeilerchris wrote: 2 years ago Chris Mack spotted at TF Greene :shock:

SG EDIT: This is the user's first and only post. I've approved it, but giving it this disclaimer.
I’ll take things that didn’t happen for 1000, Alex
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

That's as funny as Cooley was offered the Michigan job.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

It's just a joke post
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Let’s fuel these unsubstantiated rumors. But yeah, this appears to be the “source” -

theblueram
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 2 years ago

Let’s fuel these unsubstantiated rumors. But yeah, this appears to be the “source” -

I had breakfast with Rick Pitino before the St Paddy's day parade in Newport. Then I hung out with Archie Miller at the Midtown Oyster Bar. Good times.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I had breakfast with Rick Pitino before the St Paddy's day parade in Newport. Then I hung out with Archie Miller at the Midtown Oyster Bar. Good times.
I’m not buying it either lol
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

It's just a joke post
Shitty joke then? I mean life doesn’t have to be 100% serious but naming random candidates at airports is 0 effort of funny
steviep123
Sly Williams

What do you all think of Ben Howland

Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

We also have people bringing up Becker and Grasso.
Lol, Becker and Grasso are a trillion more times likely / very realistic candidates compared to Stevens and Hurley.

Also, people on this board haven’t just brought up those two.

The national media has talked about Grasso and Becker as well.
Why is that? Because both schools are a drive away? Becker has been to 3 NCAAT in 11 years and won a play in game. Grasso is coaching the most obnoxious player in NCAA. Neither one is coming here. I hope.
Because Becker has been one of the best mid major coaches in the country the last 11 seasons, has 7 regular season titles, 3 conference tournament titles, and 1 NCAA win, and a ridiculous winning percentage.

Grasso built up a shithole program, recruited players better than the NEC, finished second last season, won regular season and conference tournament title this season.

I know you only want HOF level coaches, and nobody else would be good enough.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Those are two Friar fans who on Selection Sunday of their best season ever have decided to troll Rhody fans. But it’s not a rivalry. :roll:
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Lol, Becker and Grasso are a trillion more times likely / very realistic candidates compared to Stevens and Hurley.

Also, people on this board haven’t just brought up those two.

The national media has talked about Grasso and Becker as well.
Why is that? Because both schools are a drive away? Becker has been to 3 NCAAT in 11 years and won a play in game. Grasso is coaching the most obnoxious player in NCAA. Neither one is coming here. I hope.
Because Becker has been one of the best mid major coaches in the country the last 11 seasons, has 7 regular season titles, 3 conference tournament titles, and 1 NCAA win, and a ridiculous winning percentage.

Grasso built up a shithole program, recruited players better than the NEC, finished second last season, won regular season and conference tournament title this season.

You got that right.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

It's just a joke post
Shitty joke then? I mean life doesn’t have to be 100% serious but naming random candidates at airports is 0 effort of funny
Definitely low effort but not meant to be a serious post
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago What do you all think of Ben Howland

Overqualified for URI. 3 Final Four appearances. National Coach of the Year. Someone on this board will think he’s not good enough.
steviep123
Sly Williams

I’d take him in a New York minute
Bleed Keaney Blue!

KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Watching the bracket unveiled and teams reacting makes me yearn for URI being great again more than anything else
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'll bet that PC creep who posted about Mack is on here right now looking at reactions. GET A LIFE, LOSER!!!!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You got that right.

Just another delusional fan.

And ya know what? That’s ok. We’re all bias, want our school/team to be the best.

Just don’t be disappointed when we don’t get that HOF level coach.
Go Rhody
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

You got that right.
Delusional
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Of all the teams shown when they were announced as in the tournament the only coach sitting front and center was of course Cooley who could not be in the background like all the other coaches. His ego is way too big for his ability to coach a team with 1 six year starter and 3 fifth year starters.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote: 2 years ago

You got that right.
Delusional
I'm not delusional. I only want the best. I bet you buy store brand bread.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I like Howland he coaches tough defense , no complaints from me if Thorr wants to go after him
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Interesting that Thorr is headed to Buffalo
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

This guy is a PC troll who is in my mentions constantly and rent-free.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

Right , if he was there why didn’t get snap a quick pic to prove it ?? Nobody would know in this day and age
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting that Thorr is headed to Buffalo
Going to talk to Mark Schmidt.

Really, who knows?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago
Going to talk to Mark Schmidt.

Really, who knows?
Buffalo is about an hour and a half from Olean.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Buffalo is the place to be this week!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Richmond is in the Buffalo bracket. I'm sure he is repping the A10 there.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The guy who posted this is a piece of shit! I blocked him on Twitter. He is a PC fan that you would think would have better things to do with his time than worry about URI’s coaching. Would love to see an overrated PC team lose in the first round.
steviep123
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

I’ve never seen him before- there was a guy DaHoopster or something like that who definitely had uri rent free in his head.

Go Jackrabbits!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Buffalo is the place to be this week!
Ace, I think your UConn team will have their hands full with NMSU.
They have the size to match up and Teddy Allen can take over a game.
He was their leading scorer 20 pts and WAC POY.
I saw him play many times at Nebraska where he also led them in scoring, then transferred.

UConn obviously will be favored and playing in Buffalo helps.
They should win, but expect a tough game.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago If we can't get any big name/splash hire, I'm not sure I have a favorite among the names that have been mentioned. I wouldn't dismiss Becker, but admittedly I don't know anything 1st hand about the issues at Vermont. Thorr probably has 1, 2 or 3 guys in mind that have not been mentioned hear or anywhere though.
I am dismissing Becker - he is a JB hire in my mind. He may be a good coach, but after 10 years in Vermont he is not likely to come to RI and run our program like a big boy program. That is what we want, that is what we need. He has the nice team everyone forgets about until March when they make the tourney and bow out to some P5 team. That’s not good enough.

I would elevate Bozeman before we hired Becker, he has run a P5 program. Out of the box idea would be to elevate Bozeman, pay him $500k and guarantee that the other $1mil that we need to get an Archie Miller type is going straight to assistant coaches pool, chartered flights, strength and conditioning, shooting coaches, etc.
Bozeman!? Come on….
Over Becker and on the conditions I laid out. I don’t trust Becker, and I don’t like that he has stayed at VT (a program he did not build) this long. He may be a great coach, but I don’t think he has a program building resume or outwardly desire.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thorr is going to Buffalo to rep the A10 because he's already made a decision on a new coach.

April Fools! Oh wait it's still March!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Thorr is going to Buffalo to rep the A10 because he's already made a decision on a new coach.

How do we know Thorr going to Buffalo ?? Did he tweet ??
steviep123
Sly Williams

In this day and age, Thor can meet any candidate just about anywhere. Going to Buffalo could mean he’s interviewing someone or could be he’s doing tourney stuff.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t know if you guys are aware but Thorr can do his entire job from literally anywhere on the planet that you can get a cell signal.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 2 years ago

You got that right.
Delusional
I'm not delusional. I only want the best. I bet you buy store brand bread.

We all want the best too, obviously.

But we’re not the best program and don’t have the best resources.

That’s the difference that you refuse to acknowledge and take into account, but that’s your opinion which is fine.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Thorr is going to Buffalo to rep the A10 because he's already made a decision on a new coach.

How do we know Thorr going to Buffalo ?? Did he tweet ??
We don’t know what he’s doing Reef, we don’t know.
Go Rhody