David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Say it with me now,
PILL-OW FIGHT
PILL-OW FIGHT
PILL-OW FIGHT
UMass, Fordham and GW are all going to finish ahead of us in the standings what an embarrassment.
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Was Travis Ford the UMass coach at the time ??
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago David Cox is now likely in his last ten days as URI Men's Basketball Head Coach. My best guess is his tenure is over before noon Friday 03/11/22.
I would bet Monday 3/14. Don't think we're making that announcement before the A-10 tournament is over.
Tuesday 3/15. This is the date RR2 predicted weeks ago.

No way it’s announced during the tournament.

My hunch is less than 24 hours after we are done in the a10s
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

We were 38th in RPI - which was the metric used at the time. One of the highest of all time left out of the field.

Despite our typical meltdown, and the well documented/terrible losses down the stretch. That's a screw job.
All we had to do was beat a dogshit UMass team and couldn't. Killed us. We didn't deserve it.

I remember them talking about us on college GameDay saying "all Rhode Island needs to do is beat UMass today and they're probably a lock"
Still painful.

Legit one of my worst live sports moments of my life. I have no idea why I just watched it again. Idiot.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….and then another, similar non call/call, in MSG against UNC involving Ulmer?…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We were 38th in RPI - which was the metric used at the time. One of the highest of all time left out of the field.

Despite our typical meltdown, and the well documented/terrible losses down the stretch. That's a screw job.
All we had to do was beat a dogshit UMass team and couldn't. Killed us. We didn't deserve it.

I remember them talking about us on college GameDay saying "all Rhode Island needs to do is beat UMass today and they're probably a lock"
Still painful.

This video isn't from the 2010 season.

We did lose to UMass the last game of the regular season in 2010, 69-67, but it was @ UMass, not in Kingston.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Still painful.

Yeah that was the year prior.

In 2010 at UMass I think we had a 10 point lead in the first half and Ben Eaves scored like 10 in the first half and Baron never put him back in. Lost by two. Back to back years losing to awful UMass teams to squander bids.
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

I admit that I was very pro DC in order to preserve the recruiting class once Hurley decided to jump ship, but as of today I'm literally updating twitter on the hour in hopes of seeing a post that we're moving on from him. What a disaster this has been! Poor lineup configurations, lack of accountability, (ultimately) inability to preserve the best players on our roster... TIME TO MOVE ON! I'm all in on the big time "splash" hire, but bring me someone with energy who is willing to make hard decisions and in game adjustments!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

MegaRamFan2 wrote: 2 years ago I admit that I was very pro DC in order to preserve the recruiting class once Hurley decided to jump ship, but as of today I'm literally updating twitter on the hour in hopes of seeing a post that we're moving on from him. What a disaster this has been! Poor lineup configurations, lack of accountability, (ultimately) inability to preserve the best players on our roster... TIME TO MOVE ON! I'm all in on the big time "splash" hire, but bring me someone with energy who is willing to make hard decisions and in game adjustments!
75% (me included) were also pro Cox to keep the recruiting class and continue with the same culture.

It’s not a secret that the majority of here wanted Cox.

Hasn’t worked out, time to move on in a couple weeks.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………lessons learned are many, keeping a coach to keep a roster and recruits etc etc…….for me it is the culture, once built and established, is not a thing that can be handed off to another……….loose the builder, loose the culture……….I am not confusing culture and tradition……..no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ………lessons learned are many, keeping a coach to keep a roster and recruits etc etc…….for me it is the culture, once built and established, is not a thing that can be handed off to another……….loose the builder, loose the culture……….I am not confusing culture and tradition……..no?
We've been burned twice. Never again.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ………lessons learned are many, keeping a coach to keep a roster and recruits etc etc…….for me it is the culture, once built and established, is not a thing that can be handed off to another……….loose the builder, loose the culture……….I am not confusing culture and tradition……..no?
Yeah but everybody thought he would continue the culture and that's how he sold himself. That was more important than the recruiting class.

I dont think anyone could have guessed that his tenre here would be an unmitigated disaster.

Literally everything pointed towards him keeping the ball rolling.

For these reasons.

Recruiting. He was a stud recruiter for us, G-town and Rutgers.

3-0 as Rutgers interim head coach.

Was a college point guard. Has coached since the late 90's. Lots of experience.

Everyone he has worked with believed in him.

We all heard him on Dan's talk show. He's smart, communicates well. Obviously knows the game really well.

I remember TJ talking about how he thought Cox would take us to the next level because the offense was going to be so much better...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox has NOT recruited well since he's been head coach.

More talent has transferred out than he's brought in.

He had Dan as the closer before, on his own he's been poor.....especially at the PG position.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Yeah but everybody thought he would continue the culture and that's how he sold himself. That was more important than the recruiting class.

I dont think anyone could have guessed that his tenre here would be an unmitigated disaster.

Literally everything pointed towards him keeping the ball rolling.

For these reasons.

Recruiting. He was a stud recruiter for us, G-town and Rutgers.

3-0 as Rutgers interim head coach.

Was a college point guard. Has coached since the late 90's. Lots of experience.

Everyone he has worked with believed in him.

We all heard him on Dan's talk show. He's smart, communicates well. Obviously knows the game really well.

I remember TJ talking about how he thought Cox would take us to the next level because the offense was going to be so much better...
What. Happened.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What happened is that the decision makers at URI have made MANY bad choices when it come to the head MBB coaching position.....

When we've had success, it's been because the occasional coach has punched above his weight when you take into account the resources available to them here.

And that cycle will continue, until the commitments needed reaches a much higher level.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Cox has NOT recruited well since he's been head coach.

More talent has transferred out than he's brought in.

He had Dan as the closer before, on his own he's been poor.....especially at the PG position.
Well that’s just it. Dan was the closer. But he had good assistants to bring talent to the table for him to close - like Dave.

I don’t think Dave ever made the pivot. He tried to do too much and he hired very poorly.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Like you said you never really know how an assistant is going to do once he gets into that head chair

Cox had the momentum that DH built us then proceeded to pee down his leg
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 2 years ago Like you said you never really know how an assistant is going to do once he gets into that head chair

Cox had the momentum that DH built us then proceeded to pee down his leg
He was standing at the urinal and intentionally zipped up his fly. Moving JD off the ball should’ve been a fireable offense.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Moving JD off the ball was an ok idea, sticking with it as long he did is the problem…

Worrying about Fatts leaving and ignoring Tyrese was a problem, how many plays did we run for Tyrese when he was here? He would be a problem for the A10 on this team.

Sticking with Jermaine too long, problem.

Have a kid who can actually shoot a three (DJ), bury him after a few missed defensive assignments while other guys who cannot put the ball in the freakin hoop got time to work out their issues for in unknown reasons, problem.

Where the hell is Tres Berry? Should have been developing a shooter off the bench this year.

Thomas starts and get 30 plus minutes, a few games later buried on the bench barely getting 10 minutes (neither is right btw - he is a solid 15-18 min per game player).
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..regarding Berry……in the coaching “trying”…..”figure it out”……you wonder why Berry was given more PT……..to see what he has at this level…….on the other hand, coach is trying to win games, survival mode of late……so maybe playing Berry was liability(defense?)…….maybe seeing Berry in practice he is determined to be not ready yet…….my view of him in the B&W scrimmage was not much there……..Thomas, on the other hand lots……..lots of hands here……..coaching at this level is rough stuff, with their paychecks in the kids gym shorts…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Good god just let it be mid march already
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……amen…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

10 more days......
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i think i need to cue up the man in black at 11:35pm that night...

Well they're building a gallows outside my cell I've got 25 minutes to go
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..regarding Berry……in the coaching “trying”…..”figure it out”……you wonder why Berry was given more PT……..to see what he has at this level…….on the other hand, coach is trying to win games, survival mode of late……so maybe playing Berry was liability(defense?)…….maybe seeing Berry in practice he is determined to be not ready yet…….my view of him in the B&W scrimmage was not much there……..Thomas, on the other hand lots……..lots of hands here……..coaching at this level is rough stuff, with their paychecks in the kids gym shorts…….
Man.......that is one disjointed post......I mean, you use more periods than I do......and that's really hard to do.....because I love using periods.....but not that much.....Is it that hard......to write and type......in complete sentences?....or perhaps, you can use bullet points......if sentences and full thoughts are too difficult to form.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Hello... they're called ellipses...or dot dot dot...not periods... Sheesh...
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…funny, thank god most of yous don’t hear me speak….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..regarding Berry……in the coaching “trying”…..”figure it out”……you wonder why Berry was given more PT……..to see what he has at this level…….on the other hand, coach is trying to win games, survival mode of late……so maybe playing Berry was liability(defense?)…….maybe seeing Berry in practice he is determined to be not ready yet…….my view of him in the B&W scrimmage was not much there……..Thomas, on the other hand lots……..lots of hands here……..coaching at this level is rough stuff, with their paychecks in the kids gym shorts…….
Man.......that is one disjointed post......I mean, you use more periods than I do......and that's really hard to do.....because I love using periods.....but not that much.....Is it that hard......to write and type......in complete sentences?....or perhaps, you can use bullet points......if sentences and full thoughts are too difficult to form.

+1.

Been waiting for someone to say this, as I knew I wasn’t the only one to feel this way. I’ll never understand the trillion periods in a post, not one full sentence, just a bunch of stuff thrown against the wall, hoping people can follow along and read it.
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

+1.

Been waiting for someone to say this, as I knew I wasn’t the only one to feel this way. I’ll never understand the trillion periods in a post, not one full sentence, just a bunch of stuff thrown against the wall, hoping people can follow along and read it.
Bill Reynolds got paid for doing that for years ...
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

"He took an official visit to Rhode Island starting yesterday and updated HoopSeen on his visit. "It was good, I really liked it. I’m not 100% sure if that staff will be there next year. They said they would know soon though. The coaches are awesome though so I hope it works out for us all."

Brafford holds offers from Rhode Island, Coastal Carolina, UNC-Greensboro, Mercer, Western Carolina, Florida Gulf Coast, Lehigh, Stetson and North Florida, where his parents played basketball."

I mean look, everyone knows what the record is, but with each side being so open with where things stand it certainly seems like another sign Cox is out
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah just posted about this in the recruiting thread to, but thats basically the most inside info we've got yet on the whole situation.
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago "He took an official visit to Rhode Island starting yesterday and updated HoopSeen on his visit. "It was good, I really liked it. I’m not 100% sure if that staff will be there next year. They said they would know soon though. The coaches are awesome though so I hope it works out for us all."

Brafford holds offers from Rhode Island, Coastal Carolina, UNC-Greensboro, Mercer, Western Carolina, Florida Gulf Coast, Lehigh, Stetson and North Florida, where his parents played basketball."

I mean look, everyone knows what the record is, but with each side being so open with where things stand it certainly seems like another sign Cox is out
If the coaches are saying they don't know if they will be there, that confirms they are out. They would be saying there was no need to worry if there was any hope of them staying.
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Weak staff.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sounds like get to the NCAAT or BUST!!!!!!!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Hello... they're called ellipses...or dot dot dot...not periods... Sheesh...
I know what they are. But on a keyboard, they're periods. There is no such thing as an ellipse on a keyboard.

Thanks anyway.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago

+1.

Bill Reynolds got paid for doing that for years ...
Bunky could actually write and form full thoughts. In fact, he wrote a few books. But sometimes, his columns and writing were lazy.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
:lol:
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
I'm viewing this on my phone and I kept scrolling thinking there'd be a punchline at the end and it didn't come. Take my angry upvote.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I thought I stumbled upon the Braille version of KB ...

(Proper use of ellipses has 1 space between each side.)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Hello... they're called ellipses...or dot dot dot...not periods... Sheesh...
I know what they are. But on a keyboard, they're periods. There is no such thing as an ellipse on a keyboard.

Thanks anyway.
Sp-lash!
PMM....right again!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Thanks anyway.
Sp-lash!
PMM....right again!!
This..................stuff is helping drive the page quantity...................... 45 pages already. I heard from a couple people Wednesday night that they didn't think the decision had not been made yet. I was kind of surprised by that. Imagine this thread of it doesn't happen? Lots more...............................
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The decision isn't 100% done, because there's one chance in hell we win the A10's.

Vegas says it's 100 to 1.....should be more like 10,000 to 1.

If Cox was fired Monday that would eliminate that possibility altogether.

Could you imagine if Bozeman took over and led us to the title?
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

+1.

I....just...love them!!
I use them...all the time...along with lots of !!!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rest assured - COX is 100% gone

Bye
Bye
Bye

I have it on good authority he is out of here and I am the authority

Can’t wait for this loser coach isn’t representing our school anymore - I
Might even attempt cartwheels on that glorious day
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Underrated post of the year candidate.

Also we should totally do a dundee awards for this board. Post of the year. Thread of the year. Etc.

We suck at basketball. Let’s entertain!

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The decision isn't 100% done, because there's one chance in hell we win the A10's.

Vegas says it's 100 to 1.....should be more like 10,000 to 1.

If Cox was fired Monday that would eliminate that possibility altogether.

Could you imagine if Bozeman took over and led us to the title?
I doubt that happens , Cox coaches out the season and then gets his walking papers in 10 or so days
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Cox should have been fired after lat season once Thorr decided not to extend his contract. The uncertainty created destroys team morale as well as recruiting.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Cox should have been fired after lat season once Thorr decided not to extend his contract. The uncertainty created destroys team morale as well as recruiting.
Pretty sure you said he should get a 3 year extension! Because he’s the best! And you’ve hired people before!

And you don’t respond to people because You know your posts here are useless and nobody takes you seriously!
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Pretty sure you said he should get a 3 year extension! Because he’s the best! And you’ve hired people before!
I said Thorr should have extended Cox's contract with a favorable buy-out provision for URI. It wouldn't hurt URI to have given Cox and extension with a $300K buy-out at any time as well as incentives for favorable team results. You NEVER want a coach to be in the final year of a contract. Of course you want to market your coaches favorably. Thorr killed recruiting and morale by not extending Cox as I have described.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
I said Thorr should have extended Cox's contract with a favorable buy-out provision for URI. It wouldn't hurt URI to have given Cox and extension with a $300K buy-out at any time as well as incentives for favorable team results. You NEVER want a coach to be in the final year of a contract. Of course you want to market your coaches favorably. Thorr killed recruiting and morale by not extending Cox as I have described.
72, I don't think so.
You can't justify giving him an extension after finishing 10th and going 10-15 (7-10)
He had every opportunity this season to prove himself and Thorr was more than fair with him.
His contract runs through next season, it wouldn't have had much of an impact on the 2021 recruits.

I think if there was a morale issue it was more because of losing than Cox's contract situation.