2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by theblueram »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Kind of an odd Twitter account, but it's got 11,000+ followers, and a web presence. No clue how solid the information he's getting is, but it's not like that kid who connected himself to an offer from URI, or the guy who claimed he saw Pat Riley pumping gas.
Pat Riley!!!!. I actually asked the manager at the gas station if Pat Riley came in. What a gullible fan I am.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That happened!!! It ACTUALLY happened!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting to see a current coach make a public coaching suggestion.
It also makes clear that he’s not interested in returning to his alma mater to coach.
Honestly one of the few schools that has a valid case to hire them. They're so dead what do they have to lose in future sanctions
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Hate the uses of search firms. They peddle the same group of candidates with little concern for fit.
Plus a lot of times the coaches themselves have ties to the search firm. Search firm then suggests the coaches that have ties with them. An incestuous relationship that helps that coaches and firms but does nothing for the schools
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Maybe it's Kyle Neptune? He's turned Fordham around, even with losing his best player early on in the season.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 2 years ago Jr couldn’t save Sr.’s job:

This shows what a disaster it was scheduling Milwaukee for a home and home and then going on the road to start the series. Jr was probably only going to play one year at Milwaukee, but with his father gone he's definitely leaving now. If we were going to schedule a home and home with such a terrible program, and frankly a program at that level should only be a buy game for us and not a home and home, we could have at least gotten the benefit of having Jr. come into the Ryan Center
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago Jr couldn’t save Sr.’s job:

This shows what a disaster it was scheduling Milwaukee for a home and home and then going on the road to start the series. Jr was probably only going to play one year at Milwaukee, but with his father gone he's definitely leaving now. If we were going to schedule a home and home with such a terrible program, and frankly a program at that level should only be a buy game for us and not a home and home, we could have at least gotten the benefit of having Jr. come into the Ryan Center
We may need some of these games next season, it could be ugly.
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

nchof wrote: 2 years ago
wasn't there a report he was going to sign a life time contract? Plus Winged Foot Golf Club is literally in his back yard I can't think of a better gig.
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well there ya go I guess, Pitino aint happening again.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Another coach that will probably get some interest in moving up is Chris Jans from New Mexico State (WAC)
He is currently under paid for his value ($290,000) through 2027. Retention bonus of $294,000.
In his 5 years at NMSU, this will be his 4th NCAAT if 2020 wasn't cancelled.

https://nmstatesports.com/

"All told, Jans' record as an NCAA Division I head coach stands at 116-37 (.758) through five seasons. Jans' winning percentage of .758 is the fifth-best among all active NCAA Division I bench bosses with only Mark Few (Gonzaga), John Calipari (Kentucky), Bill Self (Kansas) and Mike Krzyzewski (Duke) ahead of NM State's leader.

In Western Athletic Conference games, NM State has been nearly unstoppable with Jans leading the way. The Aggies are a combined 50-9 (.847) in regular-season league games through the last four seasons, owning the nation's second-best in-conference winning percentage through that same period of time.

A three-time WAC Coach of the Year, Jans also claimed the title of Joe B. Hall Coach of the Year in 2015 while he was the head coach at Bowling Green. The Joe B. Hall Coach of the Year has been awarded every year since 2012 to recognize the top first-year NCAA Division I men's basketball coaches in the nation. In 2019 and 2020, Jans was also selected as the NABC District Six Coach of the Year."
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

New Mexico State...is that where Jermaine Harris transferred to
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjv wrote: 2 years ago New Mexico State...is that where Jermaine Harris transferred to
He never enrolled
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Georgetown is 0-18 in BE and they have lost 19 straight games

Their AD put out a statement on March 2nd in support of Patrick Ewing.

So I went over to the Georgetown Message Board to see how happy the fans are...............they are not happy

https://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/thread/ ... ence-ewing
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Another coach that will probably get some interest in moving up is Chris Jans from New Mexico State (WAC)
He is currently under paid for his value ($290,000) through 2027. Retention bonus of $294,000.
In his 5 years at NMSU, this will be his 4th NCAAT if 2020 wasn't cancelled.

https://nmstatesports.com/

"All told, Jans' record as an NCAA Division I head coach stands at 116-37 (.758) through five seasons. Jans' winning percentage of .758 is the fifth-best among all active NCAA Division I bench bosses with only Mark Few (Gonzaga), John Calipari (Kentucky), Bill Self (Kansas) and Mike Krzyzewski (Duke) ahead of NM State's leader.

In Western Athletic Conference games, NM State has been nearly unstoppable with Jans leading the way. The Aggies are a combined 50-9 (.847) in regular-season league games through the last four seasons, owning the nation's second-best in-conference winning percentage through that same period of time.

A three-time WAC Coach of the Year, Jans also claimed the title of Joe B. Hall Coach of the Year in 2015 while he was the head coach at Bowling Green. The Joe B. Hall Coach of the Year has been awarded every year since 2012 to recognize the top first-year NCAA Division I men's basketball coaches in the nation. In 2019 and 2020, Jans was also selected as the NABC District Six Coach of the Year."
He's got an impressive resume - he's won at every school he's been at. That being said, I almost wonder if the Atlantic 10 is "enough" of a step up from the WAC for him. New Mexico State has earned at least one at-large bid, vs. relying on the auto-bid, and if he wants to move up, I kind of think he would just be able to get interest from P5 jobs. Because of the multiple seasons of success though, and knowing nothing else about him, I like him more than going the assistant coach route.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Potential candidates for the UMass coach should probably not view the job as a stepping stone to better future gigs. History points to the opposite outcome:

UMass Coaches in the last 50 years
Jack Leaman 1966-79 | Record 217-126
Ray Wilson 1979-81 | Record 5-48
Tom McLaughlin 1981-83 | Record 16-40
Ron Gerlufsen 1983-88 | Record 55-84
John Calipari 1988-96 | Record 189-70
Bruiser Flint 1996-01 | Record 86-72
Steve Lappas 2001-05 | Record 50-65
Travis Ford 2005-08 | Record 62-35
Derek Kellogg 2008-17 | Record 155-137
Matt McCall 2017-2022 | Record 59-81

Only two of the last ten UMass coaches in 50 years have ever left Amherst for better jobs - Calipari (NBA NJ Nets) and Ford (Oklahoma State). Leaman had success but retired. Most all the others were fired or resigned before being terminated. Calipari is the only coach to have ever won in the NCAA Tournament at UMass.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

John Calipari*
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Well there ya go I guess, Pitino aint happening again.
"I know I mentioned when the MD job opened that I wanted to stay here at Iona, which has been a pure joy. However, Rhode Island is where I had my first real success and the state holds a special place in my heart. When Thorr reached out and we talked about the potential...I just couldn't say no. Blessed to be returning to the area, looking forward to leading URI. Go Rhody!"
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Well there ya go I guess, Pitino aint happening again.
"I know I mentioned when the MD job opened that I wanted to stay here at Iona, which has been a pure joy. However, Rhode Island is where I had my first real success and the state holds a special place in my heart. When Thorr reached out and we talked about the potential...I just couldn't say no. Blessed to be returning to the area, looking forward to leading URI. Go Rhody!"
"Can't wait to rekindle the rivalry with the Friars, frequent the wonderful restaurants on Federal Hill, break ground on the new Practice Facility and start sending out my updates to the fans to keep them informed of our progress".
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
"Can't wait to rekindle the rivalry with the Friars, frequent the wonderful restaurants on Federal Hill, break ground on the new Practice Facility and start sending out my updates to the fans to keep them informed of our progress".
You forgot the wonderful strip joints in Providence.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

🤮
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
🤮
My feeling exactly for not having grabbed Pitino 4 years ago. Iona is having no regrets.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That'd be fine with me, but feels unlikely at this point. Even more unlikely than Archie after Pitino's latest statement.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

You forgot the wonderful strip joints in Providence.
And Cordischi's friends on Pine Street
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Once Cox is fired next week it will be interesting to see where the assistants from his staff land. Hurley had several assistants move up during his tenure - Bobby, Preston, Luke Murray, ARD. None of Cox’s assistants have moved up during his tenure and I’d be surprised if any do after his firing.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Once Cox is fired next week it will be interesting to see where the assistants from his staff land. Hurley had several assistants move up during his tenure - Bobby, Preston, Luke Murray, ARD. None of Cox’s assistants have moved up during his tenure and I’d be surprised if any do after his firing.
Bozeman's been around a while - even after the show-cause. He'll find something.

I love TJ, I hope he finds some footing.

Carroll must have connections too through his dad.

Can't imagine any of them would be fielding high level calls. Hurley was losing top guys every year - which was part of his problem with our coaching salary pool.

PMurph/ARD/Luke Murray as obvious examples from URI.

He also has 4 coaches that were under him that are HC's - Bashir Mason, Steve Enright, Bobby Hurley, and Dave Cox. Soon to be 5 with Kimani Young.

What's happened with Cox's guys?

Boswell? Sutton? Carroll?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Once Cox is fired next week it will be interesting to see where the assistants from his staff land. Hurley had several assistants move up during his tenure - Bobby, Preston, Luke Murray, ARD. None of Cox’s assistants have moved up during his tenure and I’d be surprised if any do after his firing.
I could see TJ returning to Michigan to coach at one of the smaller schools there.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can see TJ staying for the new coach there could be at least one holdover
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 2 years ago I can see TJ staying for the new coach there could be at least one holdover
I think most people here like TJ, but at this point I think it would probably do him well to get some experience outside of the URI vortex.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago I can see TJ staying for the new coach there could be at least one holdover
I think most people here like TJ, but at this point I think it would probably do him well to get some experience outside of the URI vortex.
………yes, exactly, especially if he really wants to make a career in college basketball coaching…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
………yes, exactly, especially if he really wants to make a career in college basketball coaching…….
Well, new coach brings new connections.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

New coach needs a considerably better assistant coach budget than what's here now.

Just part of the entire package.

What's the assistant pool here now? 450K?

That needs to be raised to around 600K at least.

Does anyone think Archie would come here without that?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely the new coach will bring his own staff , I wouldn’t mind if TJ stays as the 3rd or 4th assistant if he doesn’t land elsewhere
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Maybe UMass will make a run at Schmidt, who has ties to the area. He'd be a huge improvement if they can lure him with more $.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Schmidt has put in enough time at Bona to earn a MUCH BETTER JOB than UMass. Zero chance he goes from Bona to that basketball graveyard.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Some Umass fans pushing for an unorthodox candidate in Ben McCollum, who has had phenomenal success at D2 level. I don’t hate that idea for an A10 school tho it certainly brings with it some risk.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

If we miss on some bigger names I’d be fine with Schmidt here. If our Nitwit powers that be didn’t anoint Cox immediately last time we might of had a shot at him then.🙄 With one or two Dances in our pocket since then.

GO RHODY!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Hoop Dirt mentions to keep an eye on the A-10. Not only is he a New England guy, he's very plugged in with coaching changes.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Schmidt has put in enough time at Bona to earn a MUCH BETTER JOB than UMass. Zero chance he goes from Bona to that basketball graveyard.
I agree. Especially in the same conference.
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Schmidt’s great. Appears to be a good guy and does tremendous work at that school. This season so far, though, seems a little disappointing. They lose a lot after this season and have a pretty thin roster as it is.

I always think of the guys who maybe have the opportunity to move but don’t. A guy like Steve Masiello, for example. He was on his way to South Florida before everyone realized he hasn’t actually graduated from college, and he hasn’t had a similar opportunity since then.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago Schmidt’s great. Appears to be a good guy and does tremendous work at that school. This season so far, though, seems a little disappointing. They lose a lot after this season and have a pretty thin roster as it is.

I always think of the guys who maybe have the opportunity to move but don’t. A guy like Steve Masiello, for example. He was on his way to South Florida before everyone realized he hasn’t actually graduated from college, and he hasn’t had a similar opportunity since then.
Curious to see if any of the seniors for the Bonnies return for their additional year.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Schmidt moves to another A10 program, my guess it would be to us.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Schmidt’s great. Appears to be a good guy and does tremendous work at that school. This season so far, though, seems a little disappointing. They lose a lot after this season and have a pretty thin roster as it is.

Curious to see if any of the seniors for the Bonnies return for their additional year.
Yeah, me too. With the scholarships counting again, there could be some interesting roster movement around the sport. It’s not a bad time for a new coach to get started somewhere. A few seniors have announced they’re coming back, a lot are letting it play out. When these guys decide, are they pushed to another team when their team’s roster is full? Does someone get pushed out to make room for them?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I kind of think Schmidt stays put. Obviously, Jim Baron went from Bonaventure to URI, but I can't think of many other examples where a coach goes from one team to another in a mid-major conference. (I can think of more examples like Shaka Smart, where he went from a high major job before he got fired to another major job.) If it's -just- about the money, then I think Bonaventure can choose to match what UMass is offering, since (the rumored) $1.8M isn't like $5M. If Schmidt is unhappy at Bonaventure, I think it's more likely that he explores his opportunities with higher conference teams.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago I kind of think Schmidt stays put. Obviously, Jim Baron went from Bonaventure to URI, but I can't think of many other examples where a coach goes from one team to another in a mid-major conference. (I can think of more examples like Shaka Smart, where he went from a high major job before he got fired to another major job.) If it's -just- about the money, then I think Bonaventure can choose to match what UMass is offering, since (the rumored) $1.8M isn't like $5M. If Schmidt is unhappy at Bonaventure, I think it's more likely that he explores his opportunities with higher conference teams.
St Bonaventure has lost TWO head coaches to other league members while in the A-10.

Jim Satalin to Duquense - 1982
Jim Baron to URI - 2001
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If Schmidt moves to another A10 program, my guess it would be to us.
So we hire an assistant coach the second time to keep the roster and it implodes. And we would hire another coach from the bonnies that we fired the first coach from the bonnies? We don't learn do we?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

Hoop Dirt mentions to keep an eye on the A-10. Not only is he a New England guy, he's very plugged in with coaching changes.
McCall at UMass is already done.

Speculation is now centered on Cox and Howard at LaSalle. Dambrot at DU got a vote of confidence this week so he may be safe. Richmond could be in play if they have finally decided to move on from Mooney after 11 straight disappointing years of no NCAA. The other things to keep an eye on is if the more successful A-10 coaches get poached by bigger schools. Schmidt, Rhoades, and Grant would fit this category.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If Schmidt moves to another A10 program, my guess it would be to us.
So we hire an assistant coach the second time to keep the roster and it implodes. And we would hire another coach from the bonnies that we fired the first coach from the bonnies? We don't learn do we?
I don’t think we should hire Schmidt but you can’t compare him to Baron. Schmidt is a far superior coach.
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
My first pick is and will be Archie (thanks BlueMan). But I'd rather Schmidt than Skerry or Becker. He's not the worst option available.