Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

There are many candidates I would want above Skerry for sure. Langel included. While I don't know the scene as well as others, he does seem like an up and comer. Skerry has done little at Townson, so I don't know why he's considered a name.
I REALLY hope Skerry is just being mentioned because of the past connection here and not because of any actual interest on our part.
Not a fan of Grasso either, there are so many candidates I would put ahead of him.
The area around the concession stands on the 200 level, especially the side overlooking Meade Field, were full of long term fans at halftime last night talking softly. You could tell the discussions were likely centered around the future of the program and what might come next. Eerily similar to when the last home game was played on Wednesday February 29 vs Fordham with Baron at the helm. His last game coached at the Ryan Center. Team finished (7-24), (4-10) and did not even go to the A10 Tournament because the bottom 2 teams didn't get to go back then.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

UMass is a disaster head to toe. We might not have the pretty things like practice facilities, and we might be underfunded - but they're a mess behind the scenes.

No top tier coach is going to willingly jump in there. It's career suicide.

They've got the football mess. They couldn't make the tourney with Travis Ford. They've been once since '98 when Bruiser Flint went back to back with Cal's guys.

They are so far down below us, that it's not even funny.

They publicly "fake" fired their coach a week before the tournament - and are still having him coach. Who in their right mind does that?

Get an interim? Wait until after the tourney?

We might bitch on here about how hard it is to get info out of athletics - but I don't want our AD to be out there making childish statements and trying to appease fans. I'd rather we operate as a professional organization than doing things for message board clicks.

You can start a coaching search behind the scenes, you don't need to make some stupid statement about "how committed you are" because that sounds desperate. What that tells me is they tried to put feelers out there, got no interest, got desperate and decided to make some splash statement to get coaches not connected to them.

Obviously the prospective coaches "connected" to UMass want nothing to do with the sideshow there, hence the tweet and statements. They all know better.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago In case our "splash " candidates fall through, we should also take a serious look at Matt Langel (Colgate).
This season would be his 4th NCAAT in a row if 2020 wasn't cancelled.
He is a 3X Patriot COY.
Also spent 6 years as an assistant under Fran Dunphy.

I would put him way above Skerry or Grasso.
Amen to Matt Langel. Even has Rhode Islander Keagan Records from South Kingstown on the Colgate roster. He won't be at Colgate forever.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago UMass is a disaster head to toe. We might not have the pretty things like practice facilities, and we might be underfunded - but they're a mess behind the scenes.

They've got the football mess. They couldn't make the tourney with Travis Ford. They've been once since '98 when Bruiser Flint went back to back with Cal's guys.

They publicly "fake" fired their coach a week before the tournament - and are still having him coach. Who in their right mind does that?

We might bitch on here about how hard it is to get info out of athletics - but I don't want our AD to be out there making childish statements and trying to appease fans. I'd rather we operate as a professional organization than doing things for message board clicks.

You can start a coaching search behind the scenes, you don't need to make some stupid statement about "how committed you are" because that sounds desperate. What that tells me is they tried to put feelers out there, got no interest, got desperate and decided to make some splash statement to get coaches not connected to them.

Obviously the prospective coaches "connected" to UMass want nothing to do with the sideshow there, hence the tweet and statements. They all know better.
I agree with what you say about UMass they are a disaster. But it just goes to show you how good a coach Calapari was and yes I realize he cheated but still a great coach if you ask me. Will never understand why coaches like him ,Pitino and Harrick feel the need to cheat when you know they can get it done without cheating.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago UMass is a disaster head to toe. We might not have the pretty things like practice facilities, and we might be underfunded - but they're a mess behind the scenes.

I agree with what you say about UMass they are a disaster. But it just goes to show you how good a coach Calapari was and yes I realize he cheated but still a great coach if you ask me. Will never understand why coaches like him ,Pitino and Harrick feel the need to cheat when you know they can get it done without cheating.
Because Marcus Camby wasn't going there without it. Just like Lamar Odom wasn't coming here.

Those top level guys, the program difference makers - the amount of money that's thrown their way or their handler's way from the time they're in their early teens is absurd.

Unless one of those top recruits is your nephew or son, you need to jump in the mud to meet them. Just how it is.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Because Marcus Camby wasn't going there without it. Just like Lamar Odom wasn't coming here.

Those top level guys, the program difference makers - the amount of money that's thrown their way or their handler's way from the time they're in their early teens is absurd.

Unless one of those top recruits is your nephew or son, you need to jump in the mud to meet them. Just how it is.
Yes I agree but still think they could have won anyway. Just would have taken a little longer I guess that's the reason.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI needs a strong driven personality in its head coach. Someone who isn't afraid to tell it like it is and demand more..
.from the school and its players..
Not some dead ass like Baron and Cox
More like Dan, Harrick, etc.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Steve Lavin
Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

All names we should consider. We aren’t getting Archie Miller.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………can someone fix the above list with names of those with no HC experience by crossing them out……in advance, thanks……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Steve Lavin
Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

Actually, the only one on that list that would make sense is Tom Crean.
Preston Murphy still has one year left on his "show cause" so he wouldn't be available.

I would take Kimani Young way before Luke Murray, both assistants at UConn.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

Preston Murphy still has one year left on his "show cause" so he wouldn't be available.

Good point! Thanks for the input. I would also take Dan Hurley before Luke Murray. Kimani Young will be in the running for a Power 5 job. Don’t get your hopes up.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

Did you just close your eyes and pull names out of the sky? Tom Crean and Jimmy Baron on the same list is amazing.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

Did you just close your eyes and pull names out of the sky? Tom Crean and Jimmy Baron on the same list is amazing.
I mean, just wow... I know Ty Sullivan is coaching a high school in CT, maybe add him on the list... Dawan Robinson is coaching a girls team here in RI, can add him on the list too. Maybe add Dave Bliss too? (Fun fact- if you google disgraced former basketball coach, it brings you to his wikipedia page)
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

That’s a pretty brutal list.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago
Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

Good point! Thanks for the input. I would also take Dan Hurley before Luke Murray. Kimani Young will be in the running for a Power 5 job. Don’t get your hopes up.
Not so sure about Young, he may be available.

Aside from the "splash" candidates which would be a longshot and may have some baggage: the Millers, Mack, Turg, Marshall.

I would consider the following: John Becker, Dennis Gates, Jeff Boals, Matt Langel, Robert Jones, Bashir Mason, Shaheen Holloway, John Groce, and Carmen Maciariello. I like Chis Jans but no chance.

I would put Jared Grasso below the names above, even though he will probably be high on our list because he coaches in RI.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I don’t want anyone who is a former Rhody player/coach. Need fresh eyes/perspective.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago I don’t want anyone who is a former Rhody player/coach. Need fresh eyes/perspective.
…….exactly……..we love our former players, and coaches that have moved on……..new broom sweeps clean……..yes, fresh outside eyes……..someone that would GPS to get to MOB……..this time around we need an outsider…….and those without successful HC track record, need not apply……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago I don’t want anyone who is a former Rhody player/coach. Need fresh eyes/perspective.
…….exactly……..we love our former players, and coaches that have moved on……..new broom sweeps clean……..yes, fresh outside eyes……..someone that would GPS to get to MOB……..this time around we need an outsider…….and those without successful HC track record, need not apply……
Who exactly are we getting this time around with a successful head coaching record?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

Lmao. This list is wild.

Yes - guy with a show cause, high school shooting coach, mid-level assistants, and a low level assistant NBA coach who was born in RI and got arrested for fighting a cop a few years back.

But yeah, your credibility is solid to say that we aren't getting Archie. That list speaks for itself.

(edited to cross out no D-1 HC experience)

Give to Rhody's NIL
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

Lmao. This list is wild.

Yes - guy with a show cause, high school shooting coach, mid-level assistants, and a low level assistant NBA coach who was born in RI and got arrested for fighting a cop a few years back.

But yeah, your credibility is solid to say that we aren't getting Archie. That list speaks for itself.
Thanks! Archie Miller sure is realistic for this program.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

Lmao. This list is wild.

More realistic than 3/4 of the names you listed.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Lmao. This list is wild.

It’s awesome that you think he’d want to coach at URI!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

It’s awesome that you think he’d want to coach at URI!
It's awesome that you think we should hire anyone just because they lived here or played here! No experience necessary!

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Lmao. This list is wild.

In fairness - 3/4 of that list would take the Rhody job in a heartbeat because they haven’t done anything to deserve the job.

I don’t think Thorr will go with another assistant without any HC experience. Archie Miller would be the idea hire.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Who exactly are we getting this time around with a successful head coaching record?
……..the more I read, the more I like……….Matt Langel….….Colgate……
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

In fairness - 3/4 of that list would take the Rhody job in a heartbeat because they haven’t done anything to deserve the job.

I don’t think Thorr will go with another assistant without any HC experience. Archie Miller would be the idea hire.
Agreed. But just because someone would accept the job doesn't mean we should hire them.

I'd accept the job too. You don't want me coaching this team. I don't want me coaching this team.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

All names we should consider. We aren't getting Archie Miller.
This is a conversation about the next head coach at URI. Not CCRI... I wasn't sure if you were aware..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

My gosh…get a grip. Archie Miller could have his choice of any ACC, Big 12, PAC-12 openings tomorrow. He had a short leash at Indiana. He recruited the high-level players, just didn’t get the Ws. He isn’t a reclamation project at HC. Why would he come to URI? That is a downgrade for his professional progress.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

My gosh…get a grip. Archie Miller could have his choice of any ACC, Big 12, PAC-12 openings tomorrow. He had a short leash at Indiana. He recruited the high-level players, just didn’t get the Ws. He isn’t a reclamation project at HC. Why would he come to URI? That is a downgrade for his professional progress.
Are you sure you are not Mike Powell?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

……..the more I read, the more I like……….Matt Lange…….Colgate……
He's a fantastic head coach. I would love to land him if we missed out on a splash hire.

His motion offense is beautiful. I watched a video on one of his drills called Chaos shooting. His team knows how to move the ball and shoot the rock.

Look at how well coached this team is...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah but if they are willing to pay someone 1.8 M they may attract some good candidates
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

He's a fantastic head coach. I would love to land him if we missed out on a splash hire.

His motion offense is beautiful. I watched a video on one of his drills called Chaos shooting. His team knows how to move the ball and shoot the rock.

Langel sounds intriguing his last 4 years at Colgate his record is fantastic and he’s only 44 years old . I like him over Johnny Becker if it’s between those 2
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Langel sounds intriguing his last 4 years at Colgate his record is fantastic and he’s only 44 years old . I like him over Johnny Becker if it’s between those 2
Check out Grant McCasland at UNT. Age 45 and has done a good job as well.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago

Check out Grant McCasland at UNT. Age 45 and has done a good job as well.
Grant McCasland is an excellent coach as well.
Our former commit Abou Ousmane is having a good year and the starting center at North Texas (10.5 pts/ 6 rebs).

Only pushback would be he is from Texas and spent most of his career there.
His next move may be a P5 school in the west.
Similar situation to Chris Jans at New Mexico State.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think some of us shrug at the idea of Tom Crean but he would absolutely be a slam dunk. Easy second to Archie.

Him sucking at UGA means nothing. I just watched them live, they are well coached just severaly undermanned with transfer and injury issues. And coaches just go to UGA to die.

Dude went to a final four, 5 NCAA's, 3 NIT's in 9 years at Marquette. The one year he didn't take them to the postseason they still had a winning record in conference and overall.

In 9 years at Indiana he rebuilt them went to 4 NCAA's, 3 sweet 16's and an NIT.

Like he would come here and win. 100% slam dunk we will go dancing multiple years hire.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago I think some of us shrug at the idea of Tom Crean but he would absolutely be a slam dunk. Easy second to Archie.

Him sucking at UGA means nothing. I just watched them live, they are well coached just severaly undermanned with transfer and injury issues. And coaches just go to UGA to die.

Dude went to a final four, 5 NCAA's, 3 NIT's in 9 years at Marquette. The one year he didn't take them to the postseason they still had a winning record in conference and overall.

In 9 years at Indiana he rebuilt them went to 4 NCAA's, 3 sweet 16's and an NIT.

Like he would come here and win. 100% slam dunk we will go dancing multiple years hire.
Tom Crean can coach and probably would be very successful here.
I am sure he can close on some high-profile recruits.

Only issue is many feel he comes across a little arrogant and are turned off.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago I think some of us shrug at the idea of Tom Crean but he would absolutely be a slam dunk. Easy second to Archie.

Compared to DH?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Compared to DH?
I would be thrilled if we can land him and that would be considered a splash hire for us.

Also, his brother-in-law Jim Harbaugh could help out with our football team. LOL
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Compared to DH?
I would be thrilled if we can land him and that would be considered a splash hire for us.
Same, but if you're talking arrogance as a turnoff (it's not to me)....Hurls had his share
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Compared to DH?
Thank you! Finally some logic here. Steve Lavin would also be a slam dunk hire for us.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Idk he seems more "fake" than arrogant to me.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Idk he seems more "fake" than arrogant to me.
Either way (similar) he rubs some people the wrong way.

Like I said his brother-n-law (Jim Harbaugh) can help out with our football team, just kidding.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Jim Calhoun rubbed a LOT of people the wrong way....and I think he did okay at UConn....so has Geno.

Who gives a flying fuck about that....we need a BIG personality who will promote the program big time...not someone like Cox who was more likely to put people to sleep instead of getting people excitied.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Jim Calhoun rubbed a LOT of people the wrong way....and I think he did okay at UConn....so has Geno.

Who gives a flying fuck about that....we need a BIG personality who will promote the program big time...not someone like Cox who was more likely to put people to sleep instead of getting people excitied.
Like I said it doesn't matter to me as long as he wins.

When I mentioned him a long time ago in this thread, several posters said stay away.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago In case our "splash " candidates fall through, we should also take a serious look at Matt Langel (Colgate).
This season would be his 4th NCAAT in a row if 2020 wasn't cancelled.
He is a 3X Patriot COY.
Also spent 6 years as an assistant under Fran Dunphy.

I would put him way above Skerry or Grasso.
Amen to Matt Langel. Even has Rhode Islander Keagan Records from South Kingstown on the Colgate roster. He won't be at Colgate forever.
Rothstein likes him, just tweeted
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Gettin a litttttle tired of these conversations. Just end the pain and hire someone already.
GO RAMS
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So...Reiss to UVA...Cox to the Lady Rams for a year (gotta pay him one way or the other)? :lol: :lol:
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Whoever we hire, must have the ability and connections to utilize the transfer portal effectively. This is a MUST HAVE quality. Clearly, recruiting quality high school players who can easily leave after the freshman year, is likely a losing strategy in today's environment.,

In our situation, a coach well connected and familiar with our level players should be the top priority. I am skeptical of any lower level head coach has the knowledge and connections with the 3 and 4 star players we need to go after. After all, he likely has been concentrating on 2 star players and likely does not have the kind of AAU connections or the basketball Prep Schools connections.

So, there would be a major learning curve and his coaching qualities could easily be lost without the talent.

That is the reason that I am skeptical of a Towson or Vermont type head coach. Frankly, I consider an experienced assistant at a major program (eg Kyle Neptune) would be more successful on the transfer portal that the experienced small school and knowledgeable small school competent head coach.

To me, success on the transfer portal is really "the green fees" for success. Without that quality, we would likely be redoing this thread in a few years.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Totally agree... today's HC slot includes a GM role.