2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by KingstonLane »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago He has to finish the season as a dead man?? Thats crazy.
So weird. Why do programs do this?
You have to pay him either way - None of these guys are "at will" employees, so it's not like you're saving salary by firing them with a couple games left and turning things over to an assistant. I think most NCAA coaches finish out the season and then get fired, because of the length of the season and because (I imagine) of the legitimate connections some coaches probably have with their players. ETA - Even in the non-sports world, plenty of places are going to let you or have you work your last two weeks, instead of shit-canning you immediately.
Yea but why not just wait till the season ends in 2 weeks? I don’t think there was much of a chance they’d ever make noise in the A-10 tourney, but I’m sure he and the players will be even more checked out
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

So weird. Why do programs do this?
You have to pay him either way - None of these guys are "at will" employees, so it's not like you're saving salary by firing them with a couple games left and turning things over to an assistant. I think most NCAA coaches finish out the season and then get fired, because of the length of the season and because (I imagine) of the legitimate connections some coaches probably have with their players. ETA - Even in the non-sports world, plenty of places are going to let you or have you work your last two weeks, instead of shit-canning you immediately.
Yea but why not just wait till the season ends in 2 weeks? I don’t think there was much of a chance they’d ever make noise in the A-10 tourney, but I’m sure he and the players will be even more checked out
That... is a better question, haha. I don't know. Maybe to signify to agents they're open for business? But honestly, any AD worth his salt is already contacting coaching candidates via agents, kind of like how NBA free agency actually begins well before the opening night.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That... is a better question, haha. I don't know. Maybe to signify to agents they're open for business? But honestly, any AD worth his salt is already contacting coaching candidates via agents, kind of like how NBA free agency actually begins well before the opening night.
Makes no sense, except or course, that it is UMASS.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass probably expects that many of the potential candidates for its job will also be in the URI mix. Gives them a jump.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago UMass probably expects that many of the potential candidates for its job will also be in the URI mix. Gives them a jump.
I really wish people would stop saying this. It gives them no meaningful jump at all.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago UMass probably expects that many of the potential candidates for its job will also be in the URI mix. Gives them a jump.
I really wish people would stop saying this. It gives them no meaningful jump at all.
No jump at all. In fact it maybe makes them look like.........well.........UMASS
Which is not good.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Exactly. As already stated any AD that has intentions of firing their coach after the season already has feelers out in every direction
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Pat Skerry
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Lmaooooo

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years agoPat Skerry
Oh no.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Oh no.
Why not, I don't mind UMass getting Skerry.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I disagree with the “wait till the end of the season” group

We should have fired Cox weeks ago.

I believe it does give a school an advantage, especially if they know who they want and they aren’t currently coaching.

This gives them the opportunity to get deeper into negotiations sooner.

Sure, Thorr can put feelers out but how far can he take discussions when no announcement has been made about his head coach being fired.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Oh no.
Oh, neither do I!! I assumed Iggy was connecting Skerry to URI.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Was McCall contract up after this season or was he bought out ??
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago I disagree with the “wait till the end of the season” group

I believe it does give a school an advantage, especially if they know who they want and they aren’t currently coaching.

Sure, Thorr can put feelers out but how far can he take discussions when no announcement has been made about his head coach being fired.
Not really, I have no problem with how Thorr is handling this

Any top candidates will wait to see what opportunities open up before they enter into any serious negotiations.
The same for schools looking at available coaches.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If it comes down to facilities between us for a candidate, say Archie, will their already built practice facility win out and make him lean that way?
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago If it comes down to facilities between us for a candidate, say Archie, will their already built practice facility win out and make him lean that way?
……..well only if Archie likes to play in a dark hockey barn with not so many fans…..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The buyout for UMASS is ~$800K which will be offset by any salary for a coaching job next season. UMASS actually extended McCall after his first season because they were afraid of losing him. This means Tyson will be looking for a new job.
NCAAs or Bust!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago I disagree with the “wait till the end of the season” group

Any top candidates will wait to see what opportunities open up before they enter into any serious negotiations.
Maybe. But if UMASS lands Archie, as an example, would you ask yourself if Thorr should have acted sooner? I think you would.

Obviously Bamford thinks this gives him some advantage.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

Maybe. But if UMASS lands Archie, as an example, would you ask yourself if Thorr should have acted sooner? I think you would.

We definitely don't have to worry about UMass scooping up Archie early.
Believe me he is not that desperate.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Well then, if I take my Keaney Blue glasses off, you could say the same about us. Is Rhode Island some far more attractive job than UMass? I don’t think so. Lots of the same candidates being floated.

Point is, don’t dismiss immediately that there isn’t any advantage with Bamford’s approach.

Will be fascinating to see how this all plays out.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Well then, if I take my Keaney Blue glasses off, you could say the same about us. Is Rhode Island some far more attractive job than UMass? I don’t think so. Lots of the same candidates being floated.

Point is, don’t dismiss immediately that there isn’t any advantage with Bamford’s approach.

Well yes, we would also be considered a longshot.

I hope us, but I think bigger programs will come into play.

Be curious though, to see how our offer matches up with UMass
Richmond could be the wild card for him in the A10, if they part ways with Mooney.

Initially $ may not be the biggest factor, because he has a large severance package from Indiana.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Was McCall contract up after this season or was he bought out ??
He had an initial five year deal when he signed in 2017. He had gotten a one year extension and still has one season left on the contract. Espn is reporting that McCall's buyout is for just under $800,000 (as a point of reference, URI's buyout of Cox is supposedly just his base salary of $300k)

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ve-seasons
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would imagine that URI and UMass may target some of the same candidates. It could drive up the offers. It will be interesting to see how the potential coaches view the jobs. I believe Mccall was making more than Cox.

Pros for UMass
Higher head and assistant compensation
Existing stand alone practice facility
Bigger arena
Bigger school/bigger state
More NCAA wins (all under Calipari) than URI

Cons for UMass
Coaching graveyard - only Calipari (NBA) and Ford (Ok St) have gone on to better jobs
Only one coach (Calipari) has ever won NCAA games
Poor fan support and attendance
Far from population center of state
Some conference uncertainty due to state of football

Pros for URI
Nice arena
Plans for a dedicated practice facility in an existing building which new coach may have input into
Better core support and attendance than UMass - regularly only trails UConn and PC for attendance in New England
Multiple recent coaches have parlayed success at URI to bigger jobs - Penders/Texas, Skinner/BC, Harrrick/Georgia, and Hurley/UConn
Multiple coaches have won NCAA games (Penders, Skinner, Harrick, Hurley)
Typically has more recent success than UMass
More NCAA appearances than UMass
More NIT appearances than UMass
Program gets more PR and has more of a presence in its state than UMass
Location by the coast

Cons for URI
Program often has money concerns which hampers it
Practice facility does not yet exist
Smaller school/smaller state
Low assistant coaches salary comp pool
School is often slow to act on things
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Their fans want Grasso, it seems.
Derek Kellog pt 2
Slicked hair, looks like a rat and all!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Oh no.
That's what I thought too. I hope Iggy clears this up.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I like to think I can examine it objectively, but man, I don't see how UMass and URI are equal jobs. URI has been successful recently, with a pretty good on-campus arena. Even if you have questions about whether the administration will pony up to keep you, well, if you win, you can get a better job. Hurley, Harrick and Skinner went on to better jobs, and Baron got 10+ years here and an offer from Virginia Tech. UMass has been in the NCAA tournament once this century. It's not a coaching graveyard like Duquesne and La Salle, but I'd consider Richmond more of a rival for us, if they get rid of Mooney, than UMass.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The gap has narrowed
The portal has been unfriendly to both teams
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree that UMass and URI may attract similar candidates hopefully UMass puts the full court press on Johnny Becker
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Pitino endorses Shaheen Holloway for UMass.

UMass AD will speak at noon.

Last edited by STC 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Interesting to see a current coach make a public coaching suggestion.
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting to see a current coach make a public coaching suggestion.
It also makes clear that he’s not interested in returning to his alma mater to coach.
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I like to think I can examine it objectively, but man, I don't see how UMass and URI are equal jobs. URI has been successful recently, with a pretty good on-campus arena. Even if you have questions about whether the administration will pony up to keep you, well, if you win, you can get a better job. Hurley, Harrick and Skinner went on to better jobs, and Baron got 10+ years here and an offer from Virginia Tech. UMass has been in the NCAA tournament once this century. It's not a coaching graveyard like Duquesne and La Salle, but I'd consider Richmond more of a rival for us, if they get rid of Mooney, than UMass.
Just want to chime in that our Ryan Center is a really good on campus arena. It's as nice looking as it's larger counter parts, but I've been to a few arena's now and it stacks up.

I've been to UVA's John Paul Jones arena and the Ryan Center looks just as nice just smaller.

Was just at a Tennessee UGA game at Stegeman colliseum and that place is a DUMP. Like the Ryan Center embarasses big ol UGA's arena. Just made me think like "wow we really do have a nice arena"

Only Dayton's is better in the A-10 imo.

Just need replay and wifi damn it...
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting to see a current coach make a public coaching suggestion.
I like Shaheen for Rhody.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

UMass to use a search firm in their Head Coach search:

Last edited by STC 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
That's what I thought too. I hope Iggy clears this up.
I have said repeatedly that Skerry should not be interviewed at URI.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hate the uses of search firms. They peddle the same group of candidates with little concern for fit.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Oh.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thorr should come out and say the same things about program commitment during our search for a new coach.

I mean, he should quote Bamford's statement word for word, regarding us.,

Right now, we are not top 4 in commitment of resources, middle of pack and falling is more the reality right now.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
Pretty sure the CDC is responsible for coaching decisions at Gtown? :lol:
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Thorr should come out and say the same things about program commitment during our search for a new coach.

I mean, he should quote Bamford's statement word for word, regarding us.,

Right now, we are not top 4 in commitment of resources, middle of pack and falling is more the reality right now.
I don't care about what anyone says. I want us to do something for once.

Who we offer, the contract offer we make, and practice facility status will tell us all we need to know.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Bobby Hurley will return to ASU:

Jr couldn’t save Sr.’s job:

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 2 years ago Bobby Hurley will return to ASU:

Jr couldn’t save Sr.’s job:

I am glad for Bobby.
As the season went on, I was feeling good about him keeping his job.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Not a huge fan of Shaheen, nothing really stands out.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Not a huge fan of Shaheen, nothing really stands out.
I don't know anything about Holloway (other than his brother, Tu, killed us when he played for Xavier), but I do know St. Peter's is a horrid place to try to win -- a high-school gym in downtown Jersey City, a place that makes New Rochelle look like Beverly Hills.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

STC wrote: 2 years ago UMass to use a search firm in their Head Coach search:

Sounds like UMass gonna go for a splash hire after the McCall debacle hope we can compete
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Kind of an odd Twitter account, but it's got 11,000+ followers, and a web presence. No clue how solid the information he's getting is, but it's not like that kid who connected himself to an offer from URI, or the guy who claimed he saw Pat Riley pumping gas.