Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by ramster »

It Just Might work!!!!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I have gone from wishing the worst for 72 and wanting him off the board to straight up appreciating his craft. Bravo.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Do something spectacular that becomes the talk of college basketball by combining the MBB and WBB programs with two teams with Tammi Reiss in charge of both at Cox's compensation package. Each team will have a higher salaried Associate Head Coach. Tammi is in charge of both teams and the game coach except when there is a scheduling conflict. Season ticket packages will be for both teams. Assistant coach's salaries will be much higher with greater responsibility. The benefits will be that we keep Tammi, we get to hire top assistant coaches, revenue will increase. women can help men with their shooting, men can provide women with tough practice competition. Overall, this will cost no more and URI will be an exciting place to be a college basketball player. This is very similar to merging businesses.
Hahahahahah

One of your best
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wow 72......well you know he's old.......
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I have gone from wishing the worst for 72 and wanting him off the board to straight up appreciating his craft. Bravo.
I initially thought he was just a knee-jerk, "I zig when everyone else zags" kind of poster. I have a lot of diehard Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins fans on FB - there are just some people who do that. But his responses as of late have veered too far into the unbelievable. I do have to appreciate sticking to this schtick for so long, though. He's got more grit and self-control than a Gandy or Bressler.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I have gone from wishing the worst for 72 and wanting him off the board to straight up appreciating his craft. Bravo.
I initially thought he was just a knee-jerk, "I zig when everyone else zags" kind of poster. I have a lot of diehard Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins fans on FB - there are just some people who do that. But his responses as of late have veered too far into the unbelievable. I do have to appreciate sticking to this schtick for so long, though. He's got more grit and self-control than a Gandy or Bressler.
And his posts don't even get deleted. Lol...imagine that... :roll:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
He’s changed quite a bit he wasn’t like this a couple years ago ??
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

We should make a serious inquiry to Steve Lavin. Tom Crean would also be great at the A10 level if let go from Georgia. Think Big.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago We should make a serious inquiry to Steve Lavin. Tom Crean would also be great at the A10 level if let go from Georgia. Think Big.
Two thumbs up on Lavin - regardless what happens, he'd be at least interesting to listen to
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I actually think Rhody72 is onto something.

And yes, I have been drinking heavily since the Lady Rams loss today.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago We should make a serious inquiry to Steve Lavin. Tom Crean would also be great at the A10 level if let go from Georgia. Think Big.
Crean would be interesting not too interested in Lavin though
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Just curious...why not?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Just curious...why not?
Been out of coaching for awhile not sure how much fire is there . Think we can find better candidates
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Just curious...why not?
Been out of coaching for awhile not sure how much fire is there . Think we can find better candidates
At this point, I'm more looking for visible experience that can be measured, than fire....I mean, I can be fiery, but I haven't won squat. ;)
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I can’t tell if it’s just recency bias or if it’s accurate, but does it seem like there have been more announcements of one more year for struggling coaches this year than in the past? I can’t remember coaches getting this many public votes of confidence while the season was still going on.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I seems that way to me. I've been surprised particularly by Nebraska.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If our big boosters aren't currently looking to help fund a Hurley type offer toward a new staff, then it's quite possible Thorr's hands are tied and Cox gets another year. Remember Thorr couldn't even fire Baron until boosters stepped up and helped with the buyout.

That would be a disaster on so many levels...but as we know it's all about what URI can afford, and if they can't make a change due to finances, then we're stuck.

I really hope that's not the case.....
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Another thing to think about.....why hasn't Ryan or somebody just paid the last 400K toward the practice facility? That's not a lot of money in this day and age. They are nickel and dime-ing their way to the finish line.

Just get it over with and break ground already....that would be a signal to a new coach that we're serious about upgrading the program sooner rather than later......a new coach like Archie perhaps.....

Otherwise, it's just another example of URI foot dragging.........a bad look.

In other words...nothing has changed....and until something does, we're SOL.
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Another thing to think about.....why hasn't Ryan or somebody just paid the last 400K toward the practice facility? That's not a lot of money in this day and age.

Just get it over with and break ground already....that would be a signal to a new coach that we're serious about upgrading the program sooner rather than later......a new coach like Archie perhaps.....

The last $400 is not holding back the project. As Thorr stated in Ft Myers back in November, he had received the ok to move forward and that was when we were $700k short. The Design Firm has been selected and then Bids will go out. President Parlange updated on the Project in a recent Podcast. He said the URI Volleyball team will also be utilizing the new Practice Facility.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Another thing to think about.....why hasn't Ryan or somebody just paid the last 400K toward the practice facility? That's not a lot of money in this day and age.

…….yep, good dose of reality in the world of this state funded university……..no institutional money and commitment to get these projects done……..even with high level donors, how may more times can you dip into….that well……..?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rambone,

In Scott Brand's recent Podcast with President Parlange, there is an update on the practice Facility. He talks about how URI Volleyball will also be sharing the Practice Facility.

He says $400K is still needed but it is not holding up the Project.

Thorr updated last November in Ft Myers that he had received the ok to move forward from the President and that they would find the additional $700k needed. Thorr updated that the same design team used for the Ryan Center had already been selected and was working on the Project. They will then get formal Bids. The Practice Facility Project is not waiting on the last $400k out of $7.9 million. It's in progress.

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, without our biggest boosters, where do you and everyone think we'd be?

We'd be lucky to be funded like an NEC program.

A10 level? Not a chance.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago The Murray St coach has a great shot to move P6 people are taking notice after they beat Belmont by 30
They were ranked for a month before they beat Belmont by 30.

They’ve been consistently very good and winning NCAA games since they had Isaiah Cannan.

People have been taking notice for years.
Go Rhody
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Another thing to think about.....why hasn't Ryan or somebody just paid the last 400K toward the practice facility? That's not a lot of money in this day and age. They are nickel and dime-ing their way to the finish line.

It could be that the big donors are holding back that money as an ace in the hole. For sure Ryan doesn’t want to fund the practice facility for Cox or some other coach like him. If Thorr brings in a coach acceptable to Ryan, he’ll likely be ready to invest more in the program. If not, we are in trouble…
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I can’t tell if it’s just recency bias or if it’s accurate, but does it seem like there have been more announcements of one more year for struggling coaches this year than in the past? I can’t remember coaches getting this many public votes of confidence while the season was still going on.
Maybe because of covid ??
NarraRamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NarraRamFan »

I hope the $400k practice facility shortfall is just marketing saying there is still time to donate and we want more $$.

My fear is that at this stage big donors might be torn between funding a Cox buyout anonymously OR being the bigger donor in in the practice facility ... and getting in the ground breaking pictures.... because at a certain level its all about ego.

So is there the possibility that we have Cox for one more year, and Practice facility remains on schedule... or Cox is canned and the practice facility is delayed a year?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t see too many scenarios where Cox returns I think he’s as good as gone
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago I don’t see too many scenarios where Cox returns I think he’s as good as gone
…….IDK……but wins the next two, wins two games in tourney…….?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NarraRamFan wrote: 2 years ago I hope the $400k practice facility shortfall is just marketing saying there is still time to donate and we want more $$.

My fear is that at this stage big donors might be torn between funding a Cox buyout anonymously OR being the bigger donor in in the practice facility ... and getting in the ground breaking pictures.... because at a certain level its all about ego.

So is there the possibility that we have Cox for one more year, and Practice facility remains on schedule... or Cox is canned and the practice facility is delayed a year?
No. Practice facility is on the same schedule either way.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NarraRamFan wrote: 2 years ago I hope the $400k practice facility shortfall is just marketing saying there is still time to donate and we want more $$.

FWIW, we're ultimately talking about less than $1M, even if you combine the two. I suspect both are going to get done this off-season, if Thorr and Parlange want them to get done. (I also think it's easy to spin them together, i.e. using a groundbreaking of the practice facility with a new coach to turn the page on the Cox era.) Ramster has posted some good information about how the practice facility is proceeding, but it is February in Rhode Island, so there might not necessarily be movement / an announcement until the spring.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I don’t see too many scenarios where Cox returns I think he’s as good as gone

I don’t care what he does - even if he gets lucky and wins the a10 - means nothing to me and he’s fired if I was in charge

The guy is a horrible coach

1 week and a good run doesn’t erase the history in my book

Bye bye bye
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
…….IDK……but wins the next two, wins two games in tourney…….?
The team is 13-13 in D1. If he pulls a rabbit out of his butt and goes on a five game win streak, they would end up 17-14. In other words, FIRED! Also, the only way the team can have a record in the A10 above .500 is to win out the next two games and then win the A10 Tournament.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

I don’t care what he does - even if he gets lucky and wins the a10 - means nothing to me and he’s fired if I was in charge

The guy is a horrible coach

1 week and a good run doesn’t erase the history in my book

Bye bye bye
I agree with the sentiment but it’s not realistic - if he makes the tourney he stays at least another year.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Have you watched this team and it's inconsistencies from half to half, game to game. 0 chance of winning the conference tournament.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Less than zero ha ha.
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Never mind playing on consecutive days
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Have you watched this team and it's inconsistencies from half to half, game to game. 0 chance of winning the conference tournament.
I agree…zero chance, but if it were to happen (like if all other teams forfeited) he will stay.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

That actually made me lol.

But no.
Zero point zero.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Just throwing it out there
Celtics Assistant Joe Mazzulla
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rjv wrote: 2 years ago Just throwing it out there
Would be an interesting candidate and I don’t dislike it !!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…..OK, why interesting?…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhode Island native, Hendricken grad. Played at WVU and had been involved at the D2 level as both an assistant and head coach. Dad played at Bryant, brother at GW and UVM I believe.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not a fan. No more on the job training please.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

Rhode Island native, Hendricken grad. Played at WVU and had been involved at the D2 level as both an assistant and head coach. Dad played at Bryant, brother at GW and UVM I believe.
C'mon let's be serious.

I guess being from RI automatically makes him a candidate, not.

He wouldn't be on any kind of a list and shouldn't be.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Another thing to think about.....why hasn't Ryan or somebody just paid the last 400K toward the practice facility? That's not a lot of money in this day and age. They are nickel and dime-ing their way to the finish line.

It could be that the big donors are holding back that money as an ace in the hole. For sure Ryan doesn’t want to fund the practice facility for Cox or some other coach like him. If Thorr brings in a coach acceptable to Ryan, he’ll likely be ready to invest more in the program. If not, we are in trouble…
The guy just gave $35 million to the University in 2019. Maybe, just maybe, he has other things he would like to spend his money on from time to time.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

While I like Joe, no to him and not a shot. He is from and played at Johnston like his dad. His brother Justin played at BH and is in his last year at Vermont. He's been an assistant at D-3 level ,never a head coach. When he was at WV, Huggins often complimented him for his basketball intelligence and hard work. He's 33, and will be a head coach someday, somewhere, but no shot of it being here at this time. When Shrewsbury was being considered when he was an assistant at Boston, his prior experience was an assistant at Butler to Stevens when they went to back to back final 4s, then a couple of years with Matt painter at Purdue before returning to be a Brad Stevens assistant with the Celtics so that was a serious resume.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Joe Mazzulla lol interesting mention. He’s a little older then me so I didn’t play against him directly in high school, but saw him enough. Cocky guy back then although he was very good and everyone was well aware he was headed to D1. I like that he has college and NBA experience but not enough HC time in my opinion.
GO RAMS
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Joe Mazzulla lol interesting mention. He’s a little older then me so I didn’t play against him directly in high school, but saw him enough. Cocky guy back then although he was very good and everyone was well aware he was headed to D1. I like that he has college and NBA experience but not enough HC time in my opinion.

My bad, I earlier stated he played at Johnston like his dad, he did play at BH. His only college experience is a few years asst at a couple D-2 schools. Yes he has pro experience as an assistant, but no experience in D-1 coaching, only as a player. Maybe an interesting name and a local guy ,but not a serious name to be considered
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Joe Mazzulla lol interesting mention. He’s a little older then me so I didn’t play against him directly in high school, but saw him enough. Cocky guy back then although he was very good and everyone was well aware he was headed to D1. I like that he has college and NBA experience but not enough HC time in my opinion.

My bad, I earlier stated he played at Johnston like his dad, he did play at BH. His only college experience is a few years asst at a couple D-2 schools. Yes he has pro experience as an assistant, but no experience in D-1 coaching, only as a player. Maybe an interesting name and a local guy ,but not a serious name to be considered
Yea he was a Hawk.
GO RAMS