David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago :cry:
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

To each is own.

Wouldn’t blame people for doing either one.
Not surprised one bit. Wouldn't have expected anything else from you.
Also, probably 90% of the people at the women’s game last night were bandwagon fans, kind of the exact opposite of “loyal” as you said.

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever, but let’s not call last nights crowd loyal when this season, and last, they averaged what, like 250 people?
So let's just call them more loyal than those who went to the PC Game instead.
Attendance averaged about 500 first 9 game of the year.

Last night was 2nd highest attendance this century with the Dayton game being the highest this century. 500 compared with 1346 last night. Not 90% bandwagon. Plus bandwagon fans can become loyal fans. The fans the last 3 games of 1253, 2415 and 1346 tend to be young and very enthusiastic. A lot of young girls including a big contingent from Westerly last night. Positive, upbeat and energetic who are having a good time and the likelihood of them returning seems to already be in the recent numbers.

Attendance, fan support and overall enthusiasm is a big part of what a coach and team desire. I remember Dan Hurley being disappointed at times with the less than expected fan turnout when the team was doing very well.

We all have choices. Go to the URI Game or go to the PC Game. Maybe one day the choice will be more obvious for more people.

Stand-alone home game attendance 2021-22
427 - Coppin State
545 - Princeton
471 - Harvard
446 - Hartford
570 - Boston University
473 - George Mason
498 - UMASS
558 - Davidson
492 - St Louis
1253 - Fordham
2415 - Dayton
1346 - St Bonaventure - Senior Night
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

I didn’t go, but god forbid people want to go watch a good college basketball game, in a sold out arena. in their own state. Shame on them.
Imagine looking at PC with that view, instead of looking at URI saying “why don’t we have those same expectations for ourselves?”

What PC is doing is a direct result of their expectations and investments.

What URI is doing is the same.

See if you can spot the problem.

I hate them as much as the next guy and want them to go 0-30 every season, but also can completely understand Rhody fans wanting to go watch a NCAA second weekend contender in their own state with a great atmosphere.
I watched the game on TV. I normally don’t care either way but (a) URI being bad has greatly reduced the total amount of college basketball I’ve watched this year and (b) PC being good stinks but it’s fun to root against them. I have a ton of friends and family who are either PC or PC-adjacent people; my dad, who is a lifelong Rhody person and who started bringing me to games and around the program when I was a baby was at the game last night with a friend of his who is a PC season ticket holder. I usually go to a game every year with people I know who have tickets and invite me as a guest. Watching or going to a PC game isn’t disloyal to URI if you’re also a basketball fan in general.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's only okay if when you're there you cheer very loudly against them.

That game was absolutely nuts....I also was rooting for PC because I out money on them....it didn't feel right but the lil bit of cash is good
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Also, probably 90% of the people at the women’s game last night were bandwagon fans, kind of the exact opposite of “loyal” as you said.

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever, but let’s not call last nights crowd loyal when this season, and last, they averaged what, like 250 people?

Last night was 2nd highest attendance this century with the Dayton game being the highest this century. 500 compared with 1346 last night. Not 90% bandwagon. Plus bandwagon fans can become loyal fans. The fans the last 3 games of 1253, 2415 and 1346 tend to be young and very enthusiastic. A lot of young girls including a big contingent from Westerly last night. Positive, upbeat and energetic who are having a good time and the likelihood of them returning seems to already be in the recent numbers.

Attendance, fan support and overall enthusiasm is a big part of what a coach and team desire. I remember Dan Hurley being disappointed at times with the less than expected fan turnout when the team was doing very well.

We all have choices. Go to the URI Game or go to the PC Game. Maybe one day the choice will be more obvious for more people.

427 - Coppin State
545 - Princeton
471 - Harvard
446 - Hartford
570 - Boston University
473 - George Mason
498 - UMASS
558 - Davidson
492 - St Louis
1253 - Fordham
2415 - Dayton
Interesting. Why did it take nine home games for the attendance to move off the 500 or so plateau?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago

427 - Coppin State
545 - Princeton
471 - Harvard
446 - Hartford
570 - Boston University
473 - George Mason
498 - UMASS
558 - Davidson
492 - St Louis
1253 - Fordham
2415 - Dayton
Interesting. Why did it take nine home games for the attendance to move off the 500 or so plateau?
KEANEY BLUE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is Friday, 02/25/2022. It is my firm belief that David Cox will no longer be head coach two weeks (03/11/22) from today. The A-10 PIG games are to be played Wednesday, 03/09/22. The PIG winners and seeds 5-8 then play Thursday, 03/10/22. I then think it a very safe bet that URI's season will be over by 03/10/22. Would think an announcement or leaks would follow within 24 hours. The next chapter of URI men's basketball is about to get underway.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago It is Friday, 02/25/2022. It is my firm belief that David Cox will no longer be head coach two weeks (03/11/22) from today. The A-10 PIG games are to be played Wednesday, 03/09/22. The PIG winners and seeds 5-8 then play Thursday, 03/10/22. I then think it a very safe bet that URI's season will be over by 03/10/22. Would think an announcement or leaks would follow within 24 hours. The next chapter of URI men's basketball is about to get underway.
No doubt definitely better happen sooner than later
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The ineptitude of David Cox is only exceeded by the Jerry D disaster. Cox was given the job based on the recruitment of what was then considered to be the best recruiting class that year in the A-10. How wrong were the experts because that class imploded from the first game casting doubt about Cox's ability to recognize talent. We already know that Cox shows no ability to develop players nor to recognize winning combinations given the deterioration of every one of his teams as the season progressed. Even his best team of two seasons ago collapsed in a remarkable fashion in both games versus Dayton. Yes, Dayton was a final four team, but URI's horrible performance versus them before a sold out crowd at Ryan in that last game was stunning. Built into his 5 year contract was the notion that under adverse consequences his salary was actually based on four years, so there is no problem with a fifth year buy-out. Early March can't come soon enough.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Damning. So true, Obadiah. Thank you, Sir.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago The ineptitude of David Cox is only exceeded by the Jerry D disaster. Cox was given the job based on the recruitment of what was then considered to be the best recruiting class that year in the A-10. How wrong were the experts because that class imploded from the first game casting doubt about Cox's ability to recognize talent. We already know that Cox shows no ability to develop players nor to recognize winning combinations given the deterioration of every one of his teams as the season progressed. Even his best team of two seasons ago collapsed in a remarkable fashion in both games versus Dayton. Yes, Dayton was a final four team, but URI's horrible performance versus them before a sold out crowd at Ryan in that last game was stunning. Built into his 5 year contract was the notion that under adverse consequences his salary was actually based on four years, so there is no problem with a fifth year buy-out. Early March can't come soon enough.
This is definitely revisionist history. Only given the job based on the recruitment of the best class in the A-10? Are we ignoring what he did as an assistant coach? He had served on the staff at multiple high major schools, including spending time as an interim head coach in which they went 3-0. People around him spoke very highly about his basketball knowledge. He was much more then simply a recruiter and was deserving of the job. Just because it hasn't worked out, don't make it seem like he wasn't qualified.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago The ineptitude of David Cox is only exceeded by the Jerry D disaster. Cox was given the job based on the recruitment of what was then considered to be the best recruiting class that year in the A-10. How wrong were the experts because that class imploded from the first game casting doubt about Cox's ability to recognize talent. We already know that Cox shows no ability to develop players nor to recognize winning combinations given the deterioration of every one of his teams as the season progressed. Even his best team of two seasons ago collapsed in a remarkable fashion in both games versus Dayton. Yes, Dayton was a final four team, but URI's horrible performance versus them before a sold out crowd at Ryan in that last game was stunning. Built into his 5 year contract was the notion that under adverse consequences his salary was actually based on four years, so there is no problem with a fifth year buy-out. Early March can't come soon enough.
This is definitely revisionist history. Only given the job based on the recruitment of the best class in the A-10? Are we ignoring what he did as an assistant coach? He had served on the staff at multiple high major schools, including spending time as an interim head coach in which they went 3-0. People around him spoke very highly about his basketball knowledge. He was much more then simply a recruiter and was deserving of the job. Just because it hasn't worked out, don't make it seem like he wasn't qualified.
I agree. This wasn't able to be forseen but I'll stick to my guns Cox was the right hire.

You just never know if a guy can make the pivot from "promises" to "decisions" until they try.

Cox tried to do too much. He tried to do everything. He hired a poor staff. As a result he looks exhausted and defeated.

He needs to probably get another assistant job, maybe under Hurley again, and refocus with a new perspective.

Like building a house - you think you know what you want because you've been in homes your whole life, and then once you do it - you realize there's a lot you could've done differently but it's too late to change.

He'll get another shot at a lower level, either immediately or after another assistant stint.

Guys a great dude, knows basketball, and is an asset to whichever university community he joins.

He's just not a good head coach and his tenure here can be described as nothing but disaster.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

His alma mater's job is going to up soon
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

He is going to UCONN. To complete the URI Staff at UCONN
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, you misinterpret what I said. First, I used the word "only" in reference to Jerry D and did not use that word in reference to Cox recruiting class or skills as your question posed. Obviously he had other qualifications. Keeping the recruiting class, however, was the swing factor in making the hire.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago
Sorry, you misinterpret what I said. First, I used the word "only" in reference to Jerry D and did not use that word in reference to Cox recruiting class or skills as your question posed. Obviously he had other qualifications. Keeping the recruiting class, however, was the swing factor in making the hire.
Besides the recruiting class we felt like he would maintain the culture Dan built. I think he gets hired regardless of the recruiting class. Almost everyone believed in him. It was the logical choice. To be like Xavier and other successful mid-majors able to promote from within.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Great recruiter. 3-0 interim coaching record.

Great recruiter. 1-0 interim coaching record.

Cox and Kimani. Cox was the right hire it didn't work out. Kimani may be the next right hire, he could also go in any number of directions.
That is the game with hiring an AC. All you can do is try to hone in on an archetype with the information available and roll the dice. Some of them become HC stars and some reveal themselves to be better suited as the good cop/player relations role.
Big Bob
Jim Eitner

Coach Cox

Unread post by Big Bob »

I am totally frustrated with coach Cox. He has trouble generating any kind of offense, and lacking in basic fundamentals. Too many times the offense has come down and thrown up a 3 pointer without trying to work for a better shot. Players are not blocking out, and rampert with turnovers even this late into the season. Many of the turnovers were unforced errors. Overall, the team shows a lack of discipline. I believe they may be close to a record amount of technical fouls by a certain player.
It is also apparent that the players do not develop much under Cox.There is little improvement by the players after their first year here.
We are now further away from making the NCAA Tournament than were 4 years ago. This program is in a downward spiral. Any mometum gained under Coach Hurley as been squandered. I can only hope that this is Cox's last year. He will probably follow Jim Barron's footsteps and land a job in a lower level program.
A 5 year contract for someone that was never a head coach before was unbelievable. Cox only other option at the time was to remain an assistant under Hurley at Uconn. We were only bidding againt ourselves. I hope the AD has learned from this, and use a sharper pencil in the next hiring. I can only hope we are looking now at possible candidates to replace Cox.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Can you imagine seeing this tweet about Rhode Island/Cox?

Our biggest nightmare.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

Our biggest nightmare.
He is respected in coaching circles despite this year's face plant.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago

Our biggest nightmare.
Not much he can do with everyone transferring out of there.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Our biggest nightmare.
What? It’s literally part of his job to retain and develop players and not have them leave for basketball blue bloods like Kent State and SMU and Florida Gulf Coast.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If he face plants again next year he will be gone I think
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
What? It’s literally part of his job to retain and develop players and not have them leave for basketball blue bloods like Kent State and SMU and Florida Gulf Coast.
I mean for this season.

I'm giving him a pass because it's really the only time he's had a really bad team and I don't think he's ever had a problem with guys transferring out like that before.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

To each is own.

Wouldn’t blame people for doing either one.

Or hopefully new fans that will return and become loyal fans.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

Or hopefully new fans that will return and become loyal fans.
“Loyalty” is built by consistent winning - very few losing programs have a lot of fans showing up to watch losses.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Also, on the main subject here, I am not convinced Cox is gone yet. I just have a feeling he sticks for another year after we get word from one our bigger coaching targets they won’t come here. We need a massive influx of energy into the program and I don’t think they can him unless they are very sure they can get one of the top targets.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Also, on the main subject here, I am not convinced Cox is gone yet. I just have a feeling he sticks for another year after we get word from one our bigger coaching targets they won’t come here. We need a massive influx of energy into the program and I don’t think they can him unless they are very sure they can get one of the top targets.
Cox is gone
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Also, on the main subject here, I am not convinced Cox is gone yet. I just have a feeling he sticks for another year after we get word from one our bigger coaching targets they won’t come here. We need a massive influx of energy into the program and I don’t think they can him unless they are very sure they can get one of the top targets.
Cox is gone
1. I hope you are right. 2. I hope we have a good plan for the successor, don’t play it safe we need new life.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

So we just let the death spiral continue until we have more fans in the building for the Lady Rams than the Man Rams. Got it. 😐
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So we just let the death spiral continue until we have more fans in the building for the Lady Rams than the Man Rams. Got it. 😐
You already have more if actual bodies in seats are counted.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I do not want that at all - it’s just my concern about what will happen.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This morning on WEEI, they were talking about college basketball. They rarely do that. They talked about RI's top teams. Yes, they talked about PC, and they talked about........BRYANT!!! This has to be the lowest point our program has ever been.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago This morning on WEEI, they were talking about college basketball. They rarely do that. They talked about RI's top teams. Yes, they talked about PC, and they talked about........BRYANT!!! This has to be the lowest point our program has ever been.
Shhh....pretend that's not happening!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They always talk about Bryant. Look at the Projo. Always great coverage. Projo gushes over Bryant in every sport. Every year. We beat them by 19. They lost to Houston by 65 or something ridiculous like that.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago They always talk about Bryant. Look at the Projo. Always great coverage. Projo gushes over Bryant in every sport. Every year. We beat them by 19. They lost to Houston by 65 or something ridiculous like that.
The Projo is also going to write-up when East Greenwich wins a Division II HS title, though. There can be fan excitement for succeeding at a smaller level that's worth coverage, vs. a bad or middling season in a better conference, which doesn't really move the needle much at all.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago They always talk about Bryant. Look at the Projo. Always great coverage. Projo gushes over Bryant in every sport. Every year. We beat them by 19. They lost to Houston by 65 or something ridiculous like that.
The Projo is also going to write-up when East Greenwich wins a Division II HS title, though. There can be fan excitement for succeeding at a smaller level that's worth coverage, vs. a bad or middling season in a better conference, which doesn't really move the needle much at all.
Maybe that's why they are struggling then, over publicizing Bryant with such a low interest level in the State for a tiny private school. I've been a huge supporter of the Projo over the years. URI can now play a game at 4pm on a Saturday and it doesn't make the Newspaper until Monday morning. In an era with instant communication. This is the first year I've noticed this. A 2pm Saturday game might make the Sunday paper, and maybe a 12 noon. Play a 6pm Tuesday night game and it gets in Thursday morning paper. Slower communication of the news instead of faster in a faster world.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

PC just won the Big East regular season. I'm sitting here getting depressed because a rambone post made me realize if we draw Duquesne in the A-10s the season might not end until the 10th... Quite. A. Year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Maybe that's why they are struggling then, over publicizing Bryant with such a low interest level in the State for a tiny private school. I've been a huge supporter of the Projo over the years. URI can now play a game at 4pm on a Saturday and it doesn't make the Newspaper until Monday morning. In an era with instant communication. This is the first year I've noticed this. A 2pm Saturday game might make the Sunday paper, and maybe a 12 noon. Play a 6pm Tuesday night game and it gets in Thursday morning paper. Slower communication of the news instead of faster in a faster world.
IF there are still newspapers, I'm guessing no team in the top 75 KP doesn't have their game info in the next day paper, unless there are time zone issues....just don't suck, I guess?
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago PC just won the Big East regular season. I'm sitting here getting depressed because a rambone post made me realize if we draw Duquesne in the A-10s the season might not end until the 10th... Quite. A. Year.
PC has had a great, albeit lucky as hell, year.

Kudos to them. I actually prefer they have their best year ever during one of our worst in awhile.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago PC just won the Big East regular season. I'm sitting here getting depressed because a rambone post made me realize if we draw Duquesne in the A-10s the season might not end until the 10th... Quite. A. Year.
PC has had a great, albeit lucky as hell, year.

Kudos to them. I actually prefer they have their best year ever during one of our worst in awhile.
Yup I will admit I am jealous
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Just keep in mind that, the vast (v-a-s-t) majority of this board...wanted this coach...and this is what we got.
So, next time, it seems like "everybody" thinks a certain way....take some time to ponder it on your own. ;)

I'd be submitting my app to work the Archie campaign, but as long as The Rick is still a-coachin', I'm still holding out hope.
My gosh, I mean...that might be the best thing to happen to RI since.... I challenge someone to name it....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

IF there are still newspapers, I'm guessing no team in the top 75 KP doesn't have their game info in the next day paper, unless there are time zone issues....just don't suck, I guess?
I guess so. Guess I'll go buy a Bryant Jersey, join the journalistic crowd
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just keep in mind that, the vast (v-a-s-t) majority of this board...wanted this coach...and this is what we got.
So, next time, it seems like "everybody" thinks a certain way....take some time to ponder it on your own. ;)

I'd be submitting my app to work the Archie campaign, but as long as The Rick is still a-coachin', I'm still holding out hope.
My gosh, I mean...that might be the best thing to happen to RI since.... I challenge someone to name it....
I’ll be quite surprised if Slick Rick leaves Iona after this season
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Same...but a guy can still wish/hope/pray....right? ;)
I am not giving up on the Rick until the next coach is announced.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Couldn’t agree more was always a dream of mine to have Slick Rick coach URI
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Couldn’t agree more was always a dream of mine to have Slick Rick coach URI
LOL...everything I hear I hear between now and whoever gets hired is either 'Charlie Brown's teacher' or The Rick, with maybe some Archie mixed in...
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Doesn’t Pitino have like a $10m buyout? If so, you dreams are more dead then people already 6 feet under
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Doesn’t Pitino have like a $10m buyout? If so, you dreams are more dead then people already 6 feet under
Last I heard it was down to 5....? Me and you, we could cover that, right?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Doesn’t Pitino have like a $10m buyout? If so, you dreams are more dead then people already 6 feet under
Unfortunately he had no buyout 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unfortunately he had no buyout 4 years ago
I KNOW.... but a lotta folks here, were concerned about, 'the look'...
THAT is what cost us, more than anything...with The Rick on board, we'd probably be looking at where we meet for the NCAAT, for the 3rd year in a row....