2021-22 Technical Foul Tracking URI and Opponents

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

2021-22 Technical Foul Tracking URI and Opponents

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Anyone have the number of techs they have on the year?
……I think Ramster posted this…….
PRT,
I had only pulled Technicals for the past 8 games, so I went back through the season to get the entire picture. Keeping in one thread since the subject comes up so often this year. This is not tracked in statistics, must go to each individual game box score and collect. They even list every technical as the last name only, so I need to go into the play by play box score to find whether it is Makhel or Makhi. So fwiw.........

Summary:
  • Opponents: 9 Technicals covering 5 games
  • URI: 9 Technicals covering 9 games
URI Breakdown:
  • Makhel Mitchell: 5
  • Makhi Mitchell: 3
  • Jalen Carey: 1

Opponents:
Bryant - 2
Georgia State - 1 (Coach)
Milwaukee - 2
UMASS (game 1) - 2
VCU - 2

URI:
L 66-67: FGCU: Makhel Mitchell 1st half 2:32
W 94-59: Georgia State: Makhi Mitchell 2nd half 6:24
W 72-62: Sacred Heart: Makhi Mitchell 2nd half 5:59
W 82-58: Milwaukee: Makhel Mitchell 2nd half 16:13
L 68-72: Davidson: Makhel Mitchell 2nd half 0:13
W 75-64: St Josephs: Makhel Mitchell 2nd half 14:50
W 81-68: UMASS (game 1) Jalen Carey 1st half 8:15
L 64-73: VCU Makhel Mitchell 1st half 9:59
L 61-72: George Washington Makhi Mitchell 2nd half 15:11
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2021-22 Technical Foul Tracking URI and Opponents

Unread post by Blue Man »

URI is blessed with a great SID. I wonder if he has those tech records. Would be hilarious if that was the mark the Mitchell’s left here.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

This qualifies as competing and having fun and maybe pulling out a win. As Belichick says, coach 'em up! 🤓
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yelling at refs is fun. I agree.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Better question is how many techs do other individual players have across the country? I have to think 5 is near the top of the leaderboard, I just can't think of a recent Ram that had that many techs in a season ever. Over the course of the season 1 or 2 for heat of the moment situations you can overlook but to have a player who gets a tech every 3rd or 4th game is crazy.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Better question is how many techs do other individual players have across the country? I have to think 5 is near the top of the leaderboard, I just can't think of a recent Ram that had that many techs in a season ever. Over the course of the season 1 or 2 for heat of the moment situations you can overlook but to have a player who gets a tech every 3rd or 4th game is crazy.
More importantly- the lack of any corrective behavior or even a reaction from the head coach.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I just can't help but imagine how Hurley or Baron would have responded -- both in game and post game -- to this disgraceful, selfish behavior by the Mitchells.

Both would not stand for it. We make fun of Baron for his coach-speak and accent, but he would have dealt with this problem right away. For Coach Hurley, I think it's obvious how he would respond.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago I just can't help but imagine how Hurley or Baron would have responded -- both in game and post game -- to this disgraceful, selfish behavior by the Mitchells.

Both would not stand for it. We make fun of Baron for his coach-speak and accent, but he would have dealt with this problem right away. For Coach Hurley, I think it's obvious how he would respond.
Give me Baron and his teams over Cox and this years team and lasts.

It’s not even close at this point.
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The Mitchell's have a bad reputation with referees and will be given a Technical without a second thought. A well-earned reputation.
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago I just can't help but imagine how Hurley or Baron would have responded -- both in game and post game -- to this disgraceful, selfish behavior by the Mitchells.

Give me Baron and his teams over Cox and this years team and lasts.

It’s not even close at this point.
100%. Jim Baron ultimately was not quite a good enough coach to have had the length of tenure that he had, but realistically his teams were pretty good and competed hard and, until the wheels fell off at the end when he was under pressure to take the next step or lose his job, never embarrassed the university or the fans. I think we kind of lose sight of the fact because of how it ended for him that his teams actually really were good and if he was like 5% better at Xs and Os he would have made multiple NCAAs and we’d never have had the Dan era. If he was allowed to just keep going as he was - consistent NIT-level team, which is WAY better than what we have now - he could have probably kept that standard for another decade.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Better question is how many techs do other individual players have across the country? I have to think 5 is near the top of the leaderboard, I just can't think of a recent Ram that had that many techs in a season ever. Over the course of the season 1 or 2 for heat of the moment situations you can overlook but to have a player who gets a tech every 3rd or 4th game is crazy.
Unfortunately the Technicals are not tracked, probably because there are so few. The only way to get the data is to review each game box score which I did for URI and now I also did for UCONN (Dan Hurley) and Arizona State (Bobby Hurley) since David Cox is from the same Coaching Tree:

UCONN: 5 Technicals
UCONN Opponents: 3 Technicals

UCONN Technicals:
Binghamton: Sanogo
Auburn: Sanogo
Villanova: JR Cole
Xavier: Andre Jackson
St John's: Tyrese Martin

Arizona State: 3 Technicals
Arizona State Opponents: 8 Technicals

Arizona State Technicals:
Portland: Alonzo Gaffney
San Francisco: DJ Horne
Stanford: DJ Horne
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Thx Ramster. Based on that small sample of 2 other teams, Makhel’s 5 techs are easily in the lead. 5 just sounds like a lot in a season for a college basketball player. And the season isn’t over yet. Also agree with Blue I don’t recall much corrective action after any of these.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And BAR, you would think if any team would rack up a reasonable (or unreasonable) number of Technical Fouls it would be the Hurley Brothers.

I was a bit surprised that Makhel had more (5) than Makhi (3) when I looked them up. Makhi had not received a T since the Sacred Heart game but this one about tucking in the shirt (and it was his brother's shirt not his) seems nuts.

I will say that Makhel and Makhi fight hard inside for rebounds and blocked shots and put up some good numbers. The Dayton game was very tough inside, it was like a war for both sides and Makhel and Makhi held their own against a very physical Dayton team, but they are both prone to make some crazy fouls. The fight hard inside and seem to have done a better job of reducing their Personal Fouls so they stay in the game longer. Last year and earlier this year they racked up the personal fouls very fast. They racked up personal fouls fast at Maryland too. I think Todd Bozeman had helped them with their overall games to some extent.

I'd agree with some posters who said David Cox should sit guys down when they get Technicals, especially this recent Untucked Shirt Tech - not even by the guy with the Untucked Shirt :lol: :lol: You can't make this stuff up :roll:

5 Technicals for 1 single players is clearly excessive. Maybe as simple as the next Technical you will not start the next game. There are simple ways to modify behavior that work.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t remember RJ Cole’s or Andre Jackson’s technicals off the top of my head. I remember Sanogo and an Auburn player were each issued one after they started jawing at each other. Sanogo got one in the Binghamton game for defending Andre Jackson after a Binghamton player attempted to murder him with a cheap foul (I may be exaggerating but only just a little). Martin’s was another double tech for him and a SJU player, a kind of stupid frustration foul, and he sat out the rest of the first half (about 12 minutes) and came back on fire in the second half. ASU games are usually too late for me to remember any details.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Remember what Baron did to Will Daniels in his last game against Creighton, a close loss too? How about Dustin Halenga at the Cincinnati Airport? Lousy head coach who took no crap from players.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting on Arizona State is that they only have 3 Technical Fouls and their opponents have had 8

So UCONN has 5 Technicals playing in a pretty physical Big East, ASU has 3 Technicals and URI has 9 Technicals which is more than Bobby and Danny's Teams put together. :roll:
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

So what’s a possible explanation for Cox’s reluctance to discipline his players when needed?

Is it really that Momma Mitchell will cause trouble for Coach Cox? Will the twins refuse to play? Will they threaten to transfer?

I don’t get it. His job is already on the line what does he have to lose?

Is it just his philosophy to be a players Coach and not make any player “look bad” during a game?

It’s difficult to understand his thought process, especially when it has such a negative impact on the team.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It hasn’t always been like this. I remember when they had the banner reveal the first game of his first year, and he made a big show of having all the new players go to the locker room for it because they hadn’t earned it. He also went on and on about why he suspended Cyril for being late to a practice and how he has a military school type of disciplinarian background and that’s how he wants to run his program and “nobody is above the law.” I thought it was a stupid comment when he made it, seems worse and weirder now.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago So what’s a possible explanation for Cox’s reluctance to discipline his players when needed?

Is it really that Momma Mitchell will cause trouble for Coach Cox? Will the twins refuse to play? Will they threaten to transfer?

Is it just his philosophy to be a players Coach and not make any player “look bad” during a game?

It’s difficult to understand his thought process, especially when it has such a negative impact on the team.
…….I would offer his style of discipline is weak, quiet style to reason with, talk to the player to get the player to understand he should not acting like that…….no firm disciplinary boundaries set with known consequences for repeat performances made clearly known to the player…….kinda goes with his general mild demeanor on all fronts…….I think one can have a mild calm approach, but when the line is crossed corrective action that gets the player to suffer and loose the currency they crave…..playing time……..I can’t believe the mother Mitchell can have so much control and influence this coach’s decisions on this front…….a teacher Coach Cox does not seem to be…….firm and fair is not what we have here…….
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago So what’s a possible explanation for Cox’s reluctance to discipline his players when needed?

He’s a players coach, perfect assistant. Genuinely too nice of a guy for his own good. Was always a pushover with kids on the roster under Hurley. Definitely makes sense as when you have a guy as intense as Hurley it’s extremely beneficial to have someone like Cox to level things out.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t think Cox is necessarily a player’s coach, at least not by my definition. Simply put, it’s not about yelling or not yelling or being nice or whatever.

This is Cox in his own words: “I was an educator for 10 years before becoming a coach. I was the disciplinarian. I suspended and had to expel a number of young men and women. I came from a very structured, disciplined family. I went to a high school that was all-military at the time. It’s who I am. It’s a culture that we’ve established here. Nobody is above the law.”

That’s not a guy who seems to think he’s a pushover.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So he's twisted himself in knots by desperately promising playing time and other things to get players here?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No. There is zero evidence of that.

Makhi started last year at center. Makhel off the bench.
After 2 games Makhel became the starter, Makhi off the bench.
Makhi then tore up his knee in the Western Kentucky game out for the season.
The two never started together. Not one game.

So where was this alleged promise last year?

Please stop with this unsubstantiated statement about their mother.

Unless you have proof this is simply wrong to speculate . And nobody has proof. It’s just not right and not fair.

And don’t ask me to prove it didn’t happen. The proof is on the accuser. And if you don’t have proof you should stop.

As for playing time he spreads across 9 players. No single player is getting a lot of minutes.

There’s plenty to criticize without bringing a player’s mother into it, and in this case the mother of 2 URI players. How would any poster here feel if people saying the only reason they were playing was because their mother made their starting happen. We should be above saying derogatory things about the parent of a player.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

What's actually worse then? Mismanagement of players due to keeping promises, or simply general mismanagement of his players due to incompetence?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Prove the promises.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think Cox is necessarily a player’s coach, at least not by my definition. Simply put, it’s not about yelling or not yelling or being nice or whatever.

This is Cox in his own words: “I was an educator for 10 years before becoming a coach. I was the disciplinarian. I suspended and had to expel a number of young men and women. I came from a very structured, disciplined family. I went to a high school that was all-military at the time. It’s who I am. It’s a culture that we’ve established here. Nobody is above the law.”

I mean there’s words and then there’s actions. Again I like David Cox the human, this isn’t meant to be disparaging of him.

I have it on authority of past players in the program of how Cox is with players. Again this was under Hurley so things could be different
Last edited by KingstonLane 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Prove the promises.
Disprove them. What coach allows a player to have 5 techs in a season and not one benching?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think Cox is necessarily a player’s coach, at least not by my definition. Simply put, it’s not about yelling or not yelling or being nice or whatever.

……….his actions apparently show something much less……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Disprove them. What coach allows a player to have 5 techs in a season and not one benching?
Don’t change the subject. The promises I’m referring to are that only reason Makhi is starting is because of his mother. Stop accusing their mother of things that are untrue.

Just stop. It just keeps going and going.

Saying a player is starting because the mother made a deal when you have zero proof is crap.

You make accusations you should be able to back them up.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

I mean there’s words and then there’s actions. Again I like David Cox the human, this isn’t mean to be disparaging of him.

I have it on authority of past players in the program of how Cox is with players. Again this was under Hurley so things could be different
I am very aware of players and their personal interactions with both coaches. Players coaches relate to their guys, have their backs, and push them to meet their potential and then some. That doesn’t seem like Cox to me.

Any competent group working together shifts to meet the demands of their collective responsibility. Cox hasn’t succeeded. Words without actions, if that’s what it is, is worse than just being bad.

I’ve always thought this talk of promises, other than taking both Makhel and Makhi, has been overblown. We know that the twins’ mom will go public when upset, and that is certainly messy. But, I don’t think it’s misplaced loyalty to Fatts or to the Mitchell family or whoever, I think it might just be incompetence. God I’m so depressed now.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote: 2 years ago

I mean there’s words and then there’s actions. Again I like David Cox the human, this isn’t mean to be disparaging of him.

I am very aware of players and their personal interactions with both coaches. Players coaches relate to their guys, have their backs, and push them to meet their potential and then some. That doesn’t seem like Cox to me.

Any competent group working together shifts to meet the demands of their collective responsibility. Cox hasn’t succeeded. Words without actions, if that’s what it is, is worse than just being bad.

I’ve always thought this talk of promises, other than taking both Makhel and Makhi, has been overblown. I don’t think it’s misplaced loyalty to Fatts or to the Mitchell family or whoever, I think it might just be incompetence. God I’m so depressed now.
Such is life, a lot of coaches don’t work out, we’ll move on like every other school that has made an unsuccessful hire.

Does it suck knowing we essentially killed the momentum we had? Of course. But I also understand the world isn’t always rainbows and fairy tales.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Don’t change the subject. The promises I’m referring to are that only reason Makhi is starting is because of his mother. Stop accusing their mother of things that are untrue.

Saying a player is starting because the mother made a deal when you have zero proof is crap.

I have not said one thing about it. So STFU. If I did, back it up with a post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

I’ve always thought this talk of promises, other than taking both Makhel and Makhi, has been overblown. I don’t think it’s misplaced loyalty to Fatts or to the Mitchell family or whoever, I think it might just be incompetence. God I’m so depressed now.
Such is life, a lot of coaches don’t work out, we’ll move on like every other school that has made an unsuccessful hire.

Does it suck knowing we essentially killed the momentum we had? Of course. But I also understand the world isn’t always rainbows and fairy tales.
What a weird response.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There are several posters here who have multiple times for weeks, months even, say the Mitchell’s are starting because of promises David Cox made to their mother.
No proof.
So if they can say those unsubstantiated statements about a players mother then I can also say prove it. I would certainly hope that those saying such a thing would have proof - so it should be easy to prove.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

There are several posters here who have multiple times for weeks, months even, say the Mitchell’s are starting because of promises David Cox made to their mother.
No proof.
So if they can say those unsubstantiated statements about a players mother then I can also say prove it. I would certainly hope that those saying such a thing would have proof - so it should be easy to prove.
Yeah Ramster, I was hiding under the table when it happened........geesh.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

No proof.
Yeah Ramster, I was hiding under the table when it happened........geesh.
Yep. No proof. Geesh
Stop making up lies.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

No proof.
Fine Ramster. Word your responses right so you don't accuse someone of saying something they didn't.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No proof.
Fine Ramster. Word your responses right so you don't accuse someone of saying something they didn't.
I think we or I got crossed up in the messages so sorry about that.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

No proof.
I think we or I got crossed up in the messages so sorry about that.
Not a big deal :D