David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Re-upped. There was some talk that he was given another year due to last year's issues with covid....but no one has confirmed that.
Lmao then those people are idiots.

It’s a state university. Everything is public.

You think the highest paid employee in the state got a super secret extension no one knows about?

You think after a year with no attendance and dwindling financials they just said “hey let’s just have a do over in secret?”

Next year is his last year. $300k buyout.
In fairness, nobody has any idea what Fleming's contract situation is. University never announced his extension and I don't recall the local press ever covering it
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Coaches were given a one year contract extension because of Covid. I didn't hear that Cox was excluded or included for that matter. But, it would have been a tremendous slight to exclude once coach. Is Cox the only blck head coach? Oh boy!
So every coach got a one year contract extension because of Covid? Then why did we fire the softball coach? Softball's season was impacted way more than men's basketball
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Coaches were given a one year contract extension because of Covid. I didn't hear that Cox was excluded or included for that matter. But, it would have been a tremendous slight to exclude once coach. Is Cox the only blck head coach? Oh boy!
So every coach got a one year contract extension because of Covid? Then why did we fire the softball coach? Softball's season was impacted way more than men's basketball
So Tammi got a 2 year extension announced 11 months ago. So are you saying Rhody72 that Tammi now has a 3 year extension that goes a year beyond the 2025-26?

Was this 1-year extension for all URI Coaches made before Tammi’s extension last March or was it since then? Please enlighten us as I was unaware.

https://gorhody.com/news/2021/3/9/women ... reiss.aspx
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago :cry:
Dawan Buckets wrote: 2 years ago My time on this board will be short-lived, I guess because I love the insight into the program on this board that you can't get from local media but the constant trashing of our team and coach is absolutely baffling to me.

Can't believe after a great win at home with little crowd support, there is such negativity about this squad and its coach.

Tons of talent on this team, and just because Cox isn't making a fool of himself with his emotions, arguing with the refs incessantly, taking timeouts when fans and media personnel deem it misguided, and costing us wins with late game technicals, doesn't mean he isn't an effective coach and leader.

In my opinion, if you support a team, you do so through good times and bad. Losing streak? We will get the next one! Disappointing season? Flashes of potential, run it back!

If you support URI Basketball, support them. No asterisks or "I'm a huge fan BUT if they keep losing or keep so and so, I'm out."

In my opinion, Cox is an incredible ambassador for URI and URI Basketball, both on and off the court.

Instead of disparaging our coach, maybe generate some positive emotion around a late season win streak and deep A-10 tourney run.

Recruits read everything and anything about their potential destinations. Who would want to play for a fan base that bails every time the team hits a rough patch?

If you're rooting for a coaching change, you are rooting for the team to fail the remainder of the season. Cox's reputation is impeccable. No recruiting violations, APR issues, or anything that would make you not want him and URI to be successful.

Go Rhody!

You clearly don’t get it. No one wants the man to fail. He’s done it on his own. He even admits he needs to figure it out.

No one is saying they’re not supporting the team.

Is this DC Rams on a 4th+ burner account?

The team isn’t winning. If you can’t take the heat, go back to your safe space.

This isn’t an airport you don’t need to announce your departure.
Agreed - there isn't a single person on this board that isn't begging to be wrong. We want Cox to completely turn it around and go on a run, with Saturday's game being the turning point. We'd all love for this team to go on a run straight through to the A10 Championship and win it for the Auto Bid like 5 years ago. And then (should that happen and Cox is here next year) that said corner is turned and he becomes the coach we all wanted him to be and makes this team an A10 power for years to come. We see no prior evidence that this will ever happen and it will take more than just a win over the first place team to get us there. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. The past 3 1/2 seasons has shown us a lot. Other than a couple of stretches, this head coach hasn't shown he has what it takes. I'd love nothing more than for a light switch to have turned on, and he becomes the A10 power we want. I just don't have faith it will happen.

It’s like building blocks - he hasn’t developed into a HC. We can’t have someone with an Assistant Mentality. Any of us in our careers probably wouldn’t have a job if all we said was “I gotta figure it out”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Dawan Buckets wrote: 2 years ago My time on this board will be short-lived, I guess because I love the insight into the program on this board that you can't get from local media but the constant trashing of our team and coach is absolutely baffling to me.

Can't believe after a great win at home with little crowd support, there is such negativity about this squad and its coach.

Tons of talent on this team, and just because Cox isn't making a fool of himself with his emotions, arguing with the refs incessantly, taking timeouts when fans and media personnel deem it misguided, and costing us wins with late game technicals, doesn't mean he isn't an effective coach and leader.

In my opinion, if you support a team, you do so through good times and bad. Losing streak? We will get the next one! Disappointing season? Flashes of potential, run it back!

If you support URI Basketball, support them. No asterisks or "I'm a huge fan BUT if they keep losing or keep so and so, I'm out."

In my opinion, Cox is an incredible ambassador for URI and URI Basketball, both on and off the court.

Instead of disparaging our coach, maybe generate some positive emotion around a late season win streak and deep A-10 tourney run.

Recruits read everything and anything about their potential destinations. Who would want to play for a fan base that bails every time the team hits a rough patch?

If you're rooting for a coaching change, you are rooting for the team to fail the remainder of the season. Cox's reputation is impeccable. No recruiting violations, APR issues, or anything that would make you not want him and URI to be successful.

Go Rhody!

You clearly don’t get it. No one wants the man to fail. He’s done it on his own. He even admits he needs to figure it out.

Agreed - there isn't a single person on this board that isn't begging to be wrong. We want Cox to completely turn it around and go on a run, with Saturday's game being the turning point. We'd all love for this team to go on a run straight through to the A10 Championship and win it for the Auto Bid like 5 years ago. And then (should that happen and Cox is here next year) that said corner is turned and he becomes the coach we all wanted him to be and makes this team an A10 power for years to come. We see no prior evidence that this will ever happen and it will take more than just a win over the first place team to get us there. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. The past 3 1/2 seasons has shown us a lot. Other than a couple of stretches, this head coach hasn't shown he has what it takes. I'd love nothing more than for a light switch to have turned on, and he becomes the A10 power we want. I just don't have faith it will happen.
Yup. The team that beat Davidson? That team would be fun to watch for the rest of the year. Prove all of us wrong. Have that be the team that shows up.

Sorry if after 3+ years of disappointment and 2 seasons of TERRIBLE basketball I don't take one W against a fake-good team as a "sign of things to come" - it's the same reason I don't dump my 401k into the stock market after a dead cat bounce.

Sorry if I watched one of the best PG's in the history of URI basketball get moved off the ball to favor the most selfish player in program history, and let him just do what he wanted while the coach publicly laughed about not being able to control him in press conferences.

Sorry if I watched the coach openly admit he didn't know how to adjust to a zone defense, or prepared for players that weren't playing, or tried to gas up other terrible teams as a reason for why we couldn't beat them.

Sorry if I've watched 2 of the most frustrating and immature players in the last 3 decades be forced together on the court at the same time, taking mindless technicals and stupid fouls while they literally play the same exact position and there's no need for them to be on the court together. But the coach can't stand up to a player's mom because he makes promises and he's not yet ready to be a head coach and make decisions.

I want to be wrong. I want DC Rams to come back with his 6th burner account and start a thread about what a moron I am. I want to see URI win.

I just know that based on everything we've seen; that real winning - actual success - tournament appearances, conference championships, is not going to happen until we see a coaching change. So i'll be rooting for that unless the team performs in a way that forces me to think differently.

And while the few Cox friends/family that are on here might hate it...at least I'm still watching. Think of all the casual fans who forgot this program even exists right now. Thank your buddy for that. Don't be mad at fans on a message board for pointing it out.

Oh no...i'd be WRONG on the internet? I think I'll survive. Because I'd have my favorite sports team playing well and winning.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Yup. The team that beat Davidson? That team would be fun to watch for the rest of the year. Prove all of us wrong. Have that be the team that shows up.

Sorry if after 3+ years of disappointment and 2 seasons of TERRIBLE basketball I don't take one W against a fake-good team as a "sign of things to come" - it's the same reason I don't dump my 401k into the stock market after a dead cat bounce.

Sorry if I watched one of the best PG's in the history of URI basketball get moved off the ball to favor the most selfish player in program history, and let him just do what he wanted while the coach publicly laughed about not being able to control him in press conferences.

Sorry if I watched the coach openly admit he didn't know how to adjust to a zone defense, or prepared for players that weren't playing, or tried to gas up other terrible teams as a reason for why we couldn't beat them.

Sorry if I've watched 2 of the most frustrating and immature players in the last 3 decades be forced together on the court at the same time, taking mindless technicals and stupid fouls while they literally play the same exact position and there's no need for them to be on the court together. But the coach can't stand up to a player's mom because he makes promises and he's not yet ready to be a head coach and make decisions.

I want to be wrong. I want DC Rams to come back with his 6th burner account and start a thread about what a moron I am. I want to see URI win.

I just know that based on everything we've seen; that real winning - actual success - tournament appearances, conference championships, is not going to happen until we see a coaching change. So i'll be rooting for that unless the team performs in a way that forces me to think differently.

And while the few Cox friends/family that are on here might hate it...at least I'm still watching. Think of all the casual fans who forgot this program even exists right now. Thank your buddy for that. Don't be mad at fans on a message board for pointing it out.

Oh no...i'd be WRONG on the internet? I think I'll survive. Because I'd have my favorite sports team playing well and winning.
Plus infinity!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
My, oh, my, what a wonderful day
Plenty of sunshine headin' my way
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!…
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Hey Blue Man, was our win against Davidson the hoops equivalent of a Dead Cat Bounce? 🤓
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

The contrast is startling- Dayton and Grant had major needs for this year. Smartly, they went to the transfer portal and were very successful in filling their needs.

Compare that to our coaching staff- The biggest need was a quality point gurard, so we pick up another smallish shooting guard who we can't figure out how to use.

Then we pack it in and fill up the roster with what appears to be a less than impressive group of freshman. Why?

I think this issue alone speaks volumes about Cox and his staff.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago The contrast is startling- Dayton and Grant had major needs for this year. Smartly, they went to the transfer portal and were very successful in filling their needs.

Compare that to our coaching staff- The biggest need was a quality point gurard, so we pick up another smallish shooting guard who we can't figure out how to use.

Then we pack it in and fill up the roster with what appears to be a less than impressive group of freshman. Why?

El-Amin having the quietest impact of any transfer in America

2 or 3 shots a game just isn't going to do much...
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago The contrast is startling- Dayton and Grant had major needs for this year. Smartly, they went to the transfer portal and were very successful in filling their needs.

Compare that to our coaching staff- The biggest need was a quality point guard, so we pick up another smallish shooting guard who we can't figure out how to use.

Dayton also leveraged their monster season with Obi at the helm into some big, big recruiting wins. They start four freshman so they're gonna be a problem for a long time, which is only going to lead to more recruiting wins.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Another name that has been brought up in years past, but not the last few months, Tommy Amaker.

Doubt he has any interest, but I would at least hope Thorr sends some feelers his way.
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Another name that has been brought up in years past, but not the last few months, Tommy Amaker.

Doubt he has any interest, but I would at least hope Thorr sends some feelers his way.

And I think Amaker currently is over 1.5 M in salary
Last edited by SGreenwell 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SG EDIT: Cleaned up the improper quote usage.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……do I recall correctly that Amaker’s wife has some career, high level position at Harvard that would make leaving Cambridge unlikely?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……do I recall correctly that Amaker’s wife has some career, high level position at Harvard that would make leaving Cambridge unlikely?
She's a director of a program at their hospital, and also an assistant professor, so it's unlikely she could find a better position than, you know, Harvard, haha. I know when Harvard was on the upswing a couple years ago, there was talk that he might settle in and stay there, because it was kind of nice to not have the pressures associated with a job equivalent to the one at Michigan that he had. I'm not sure if that's changed, since the "peak" of his run seems to have been about seven or eight years ago. (FWIW, they're bad this year, but I think the whole conference is still rebuilding after not playing in 2020-21.)
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

Compare that to our coaching staff- The biggest need was a quality point guard, so we pick up another smallish shooting guard who we can't figure out how to use.

Dayton also leveraged their monster season with Obi at the helm into some big, big recruiting wins. They start four freshman so they're gonna be a problem for a long time, which is only going to lead to more recruiting wins.
Whoa I almost forgot you could build a program around freshmen.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago

Whoa I almost forgot you could build a program around freshmen.
I was told you could only do it through the transfer portal because of Covid and new NCAA rules.

Covid and the new NCAA rules only affected URI and David Cox in a few choice scenarios, the transfers and roster turnover aren't his fault... so just ignore what everyone else is doing.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

They actually start 2 freshman, Malachi Smith and Daron Holmes.

Camara is a junior, having played two years at Georgia.

Blakney is a sophomore, playing last year at Dayton.

Elvis is a sophomore, playing last year at DePaul.

ESPN seems to list players as if they are all taking the Covid year, thus Blakney and Elvis’ headshot profiles list them as freshman.

Still, they are extremely young and inexperienced.

Future is bright in Dayton.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……do I recall correctly that Amaker’s wife has some career, high level position at Harvard that would make leaving Cambridge unlikely?
She's a director of a program at their hospital, and also an assistant professor, so it's unlikely she could find a better position than, you know, Harvard, haha. I know when Harvard was on the upswing a couple years ago, there was talk that he might settle in and stay there, because it was kind of nice to not have the pressures associated with a job equivalent to the one at Michigan that he had. I'm not sure if that's changed, since the "peak" of his run seems to have been about seven or eight years ago. (FWIW, they're bad this year, but I think the whole conference is still rebuilding after not playing in 2020-21.)
New book coming out next week on Coach K some details released today that Coach K pushed hard for Scheyer to get the job over Amaker , the President preferred Amaker and Amaker was not happy that he wasn’t Coach K replacement
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

They actually start 2 freshman, Malachi Smith and Daron Holmes.

Camara is a junior, having played two years at Georgia.

Blakney is a sophomore, playing last year at Dayton.

Elvis is a sophomore, playing last year at DePaul.

ESPN seems to list players as if they are all taking the Covid year, thus Blakney and Elvis’ headshot profiles list them as freshman.

Still, they are extremely young and inexperienced.

Future is bright in Dayton.
Yeah they have two freshmen and two "freshmen".

For comparison, Sebastian Thomas is a freshman. Ish Leggett is a "freshman".
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Uh, sure.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And we weren't even sure if Sheppard was coming back. That was a big question.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Has our POS low IQ no good of a coach been fired yet ?!!

Get off the court !

Bye bye bye !

See ya !!!!!!!

I feel singing I am so happy !

Jeremiah was a bullfrog
Was a good friend of mine
I never understood a single word he said
But I helped him a-drink his wine
And he always had some mighty fine wine
Singin' joy to the world
All the boys and girls now
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea
Joy to you and me
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Has our POS low IQ no good of a coach been fired yet ?!!

Get off the court !

Bye bye bye !

See ya !!!!!!!

I feel singing I am so happy !

Jeremiah was a bullfrog
Was a good friend of mine
I never understood a single word he said
But I helped him a-drink his wine
And he always had some mighty fine wine
Singin' joy to the world
All the boys and girls now
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea
Joy to you and me
Got you

I sleep all day, out all night
I know where you're goin'
I don't think that's actin' right
You don't think it's showin'
A jumpin' up, fallin' down
Don't misunderstand me
You don't think that I know your plan
What you tryin' to hand me?
Out all night, sleep all day
I know what you're doin'
If you're gonna act that way
I think there's trouble brewin'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wow. The James Gang. Cool!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I think the freshman and young guys on this team make it apparent that we will be hammering the transfer portal next year no matter what coach takes over the team. It looks like we have completely missed of late on recruiting.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

I think the freshman and young guys on this team make it apparent that we will be hammering the transfer portal next year no matter what coach takes over the team. It looks like we have completely missed of late on recruiting.
Yeah that’s the way now in college hoops we got to get a coach in here that can get the transfers now and any solid recruits he gets will be a bonus
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Our arena is two-thirds empty. Meanwhile, 30 miles to the North:

Scouts from the Celtics, Rockets, Thunder, Hornets, Timberwolves and Magic tucked in among the national media and various local celebrities in the courtside seats.

Providence’s staff left tickets for a host of recruits behind the home bench. Pawtucket native Isaiah Miranda made his entrance just before tip. The consensus top-50 prospect in the Class of 2023 holds an offer from the Friars among several other high-profile suitors.

Ticket prices were running at more than $700 on internet sites leading up to the 8 p.m. start

Thanks Coach Cox!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Our arena is two-thirds empty. Meanwhile, 30 miles to the North:

Scouts from the Celtics, Rockets, Thunder, Hornets, Timberwolves and Magic tucked in among the national media and various local celebrities in the courtside seats.

Providence’s staff left tickets for a host of recruits behind the home bench. Pawtucket native Isaiah Miranda made his entrance just before tip. The consensus top-50 prospect in the Class of 2023 holds an offer from the Friars among several other high-profile suitors.

Ticket prices were running at more than $700 on internet sites leading up to the 8 p.m. start

Thanks Coach Cox!
Great loss. Villanova/Gillespie are really really good.
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

"Local celebrities"? Did they dig up Salty Brine for this one?
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago "Local celebrities"? Did they dig up Salty Brine for this one?
Vinny Paz?
Mobley was fouled.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago "Local celebrities"? Did they dig up Salty Brine for this one?
Vinny Paz?
Da Sitchyouwayshun?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Is our loser coach fired yet ?

Can’t wait until he stops representing Rhody…

I can’t wait

LEAVE NOW

I’ve got you under my skin
I've got you, deep in the heart of me
So deep in my heart that you're really a part of me
I've got you under my skin
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Is our loser coach fired yet ?

I can’t wait

LEAVE NOW

Why are you aiming all your wrath on Cox?
The AD and the President make the decision. Go to them if you want to be heard.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I can’t wait

LEAVE NOW

The song lyric posts get weirder and weirder by the day.
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Has our POS low IQ no good of a coach been fired yet ?!!
This is obnoxious and unnecessary. You want to see a coaching change? Fine, almost everyone here does. The guy has done nothing to warrant fans calling him a POS. Get a grip.

We let basically everything go on here. There’s no opinion you can have, basically, that will get you in trouble. One of our only rules is no personal attacks - whether it’s other posters, players, coaches, staff, whoever. If you can’t stay in control of yourself you aren’t going to be able to post here.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ok jack
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Was watching the Dayton game the other night and I believe the commentator said Cox will have most wins in his first four years then any other coach in uri history after four years. Is that correct? Can't believe that is possible.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yes that is correct bc 2 of our most successful coaches (Penders and Harrick) didn’t stay long enough to accumulate 50 wins. And other guys inherited dumpster fires that kiboshed much winning first couple years of their tenure (Baron, Hurley).

It moreso speaks to what he inherited which makes where stand now even worse.

Also agree with TP enough ECR. The guy isn’t a POS and he isn’t a loser. He just isn’t the right HC for URI basketball. Zero reason to be a lowlife about it tho with the personal shit.
woodennickel1
ARD

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Yes that is correct bc 2 of our most successful coaches (Penders and Harrick) didn’t stay long enough to accumulate 50 wins. And other guys inherited dumpster fires that kiboshed much winning first couple years of their tenure (Baron, Hurley).

It moreso speaks to what he inherited which makes where stand now even worse.

Also agree with TP enough ECR. The guy isn’t a POS and he isn’t a loser. He just isn’t the right HC for URI basketball. Zero reason to be a lowlife about it tho with the personal shit.

First off I agree with everything you said . That being said you are going to find out just how nice a guy Cox is if he gets fired. If you know what I mean.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

do i really need an asterisk when i say POS i am referring to him being a coach ?!?!

ok.. then here it is

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago do i really need an asterisk when i say POS i am referring to him being a coach ?!?!

ok.. then here it is

Ahh the ole backtracking on your statement after getting called out for it.
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

EDIT: Nevermind not worth it
Last edited by adam914 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago Was watching the Dayton game the other night and I believe the commentator said Cox will have most wins in his first four years then any other coach in uri history after four years. Is that correct? Can't believe that is possible.
Just like Kevin Ollie won a title in his first 2 years and then hit the skids once his players/methods/abilities took hold.

Everything Cox did well was because of Jeff Dowtin and Cyril Langevine. Really just Jeff. And he took Jeff off the ball and made him worse.

You had 2 years of an NBA PG and couldn’t get into a tournament from the A10.

Then after 2 years everything went soft. Cox had a championship caliber program. That first 100 games stat is basically just a barometer for how good of a situation he walked into.

DCRams or one of your burner accounts - want to tell me how that’s wrong?

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago Was watching the Dayton game the other night and I believe the commentator said Cox will have most wins in his first four years then any other coach in uri history after four years. Is that correct? Can't believe that is possible.
Just like Kevin Ollie won a title in his first 2 years and then hit the skids once his players/methods/abilities took hold.

Everything Cox did well was because of Jeff Dowtin and Cyril Langevine. Really just Jeff. And he took Jeff off the ball and made him worse.

Then after 2 years everything went soft. Cox had a championship caliber program. That first 100 games stat is basically just a barometer for how good of a situation he walked into.

Exactly. Break out first two years vs. last two and you have the real story. Couldn't be more obvious.
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

In 4 weeks, this nightmare will be over.
woodennickel1
ARD

I agree with you I think Cox is a horrible coach and I am a PC fan . Have not tried to hide that at all since I have been posting here. The reason I asked I obviously don't follow as close as you guys and was shocked to hear that.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago

I agree with you I think Cox is a horrible coach and I am a PC fan . Have not tried to hide that at all since I have been posting here. The reason I asked I obviously don't follow as close as you guys and was shocked to hear that.
Yeah hence our collective concern that the official accounts are tweeting that garbage for the casual fan (who doesn't pay attention to our program/go to games/care when we're not good) to try and say "oh I guess he's a good coach."

I think the writing is clearly on the wall at this point. He seems clueless and lost. Doesn't seem to have answers for simple questions or simple defenses. Throwing up his hands and saying "junk defense didn't expect that" or "good shooters didn't expect that" or "didn't play in a month we didn't know what to expect" or "best player was out didn't expect that" is just a common theme of him not having his team prepared for games. It's also an admission that even if not prepared, he doesn't have the ability/knowledge to make adjustments mid-game.

He's a great assistant coach. He's a great guy to have on your bench. If you have a hard-ass like a Hurley he's a necessary piece for the players to go to and smooth things over. He's incredibly well-spoken and understands the game of basketball. That doesn't translate to the ability to make decisions in the #1 chair.

He would probably do fine as a coach at a lower level program, maybe even his alma mater, or as an assistant at a high level program.

But he's absolutely cooked here.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago do i really need an asterisk when i say POS i am referring to him being a coach ?!?!

ok.. then here it is

Ahh the ole backtracking on your statement after getting called out for it.

i am not backtracking anything

you are saying i am backtracking - not me

i stand behind all my post about our POS coach who sucks and needs to be fired immediately
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Enough already. Cut bait as you say, ECR.