Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago

The Mitchells worked out great
I wonder what the twins feel about Turgeon being gone at Maryland.

Curious what buyout/severance package they negotiated.
A lot depends if he quit or got canned.
Very doubtful he would just quit and leave all that money on the table, without some sort of attractive compensation package attached.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I wonder what the twins feel about Turgeon being gone at Maryland.

Curious what buyout/severance package they negotiated.
Very doubtful he would just quit and leave all that money on the table, without some sort of attractive compensation package attached.
They mutually agreed to part. Sounds like he gets he gets a bundle of money.

This past offseason, Turgeon signed a three-year contract extension with intentional buyout terms. The deal was supposed to run through the 2025-26 season. The deal states that if Turgeon was fired before May 1, 2022, he would be owed $5 million.

Although the decision to part ways was mutual, per the release, Maryland Athletics will honor the terms of the contract including the $5 million buyout, per a team spokesman.

Danny Manning has been named the interim head coach and a national search will begin following the end of this season.

https://www.testudotimes.com/2021/12/3/ ... s-contract
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Maryland fans weigh in.
They want Pitino sounds familiar.

Last edited by rhodylocal 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

In other words, they pointed a seven-figure gun at his head and suggested he resign. He agreed.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This past offseason, Turgeon signed a three-year contract extension with intentional buyout terms. The deal was supposed to run through the 2025-26 season. The deal states that if Turgeon was fired before May 1, 2022, he would be owed $5 million.

Although the decision to part ways was mutual, per the release, Maryland Athletics will honor the terms of the contract including the $5 million buyout, per a team spokesman.

Danny Manning has been named the interim head coach and a national search will begin following the end of this season.

https://www.testudotimes.com/2021/12/3/ ... s-contract
Thanks Ramster, not a bad payday for him.
Take the money and get out of Dodge.
He wasn't happy there and it is quite obvious they never really liked him.

Maryland will probably go after some big name, and they are certainly able to ante up.

Meanwhile Turgeon may go back to the Midwest
I am sure the offers will come in.
He runs a clean program and has a strong and successful resume.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..any good Italian restaurants in College Park……..?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maryland 5.5 point favorites over Northwestern on Marylands home court

Northwestern with the upset by 6 points

Fatts Russell 3-12 FG.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Donta Scott: 2-11
Eric Ayala: 2-12
Qudus Wahab: 1-5

I know I keep saying this, but the issues at Maryland are far bigger than just Fatts (who also had 5 assists, only 1 turnover and 4 rebounds). I get why the focus here is on Fatts obviously, but I don't think it tells the whole story.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The whole team is stinking it up at Maryland (hence the Head Coach change, just like here last year with a horrendous 10th place finish in A10, 10-15 overall record, 7-10 in A10.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago I want to hear Ace's take on this ....
On what?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In Game Comments from Maryland -Northwestern.

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/ ... 30/?page=1
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Donta Scott: 2-11
Eric Ayala: 2-12
Qudus Wahab: 1-5

I know I keep saying this, but the issues at Maryland are far bigger than just Fatts (who also had 5 assists, only 1 turnover and 4 rebounds). I get why the focus here is on Fatts obviously, but I don't think it tells the whole story.
38.3% FG
20% 3-pt FG%

The Fatt man is not the entire problem, but he's certainly part of it. And he's not a solution going forward.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
On what?
I think this was RE: the Turgeon exodus. Know you're a big fan of his...
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago
On what?
I think this was RE: the Turgeon exodus. Know you're a big fan of his...
Big fan. Huge. We’re probably getting together for the holidays now that he has some free time.

In a way, I kind of respect what he did. I don’t love the idea of bailing on your team, and I guess he gets more money if he leaves now than if he left after the season. But, it’s still just a job. If it’s no longer working for you and your family, and you feel like you’re in a no-win situation and your heart isn’t in it, then go.

Pitt fans felt the same way about Jamie Dixon as Maryland fans seem to about Turgeon. That hasn’t gone too well for them. I kind of like inconsequential sports drama, so I’m interested in seeing who they bring in.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe it was a forced resignation??
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Just for what it is worth, Fatts reached a milestone this season.

"Graduate guard Fatts Russell surpassed a pair of major milestones against Iowa (2/10), reaching both 1,900 career points and 500 career assists.
He is the only active player in Division I men's basketball with 1900 points, 500 assists and 225 steals."

https://umterps.com/news/2022/2/11/mens ... unday.aspx
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

24, 9 and 6 for Fatts today who almost willed UMD to a win at #3 Purdue.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago 24, 9 and 6 for Fatts today who almost willed UMD to a win at #3 Purdue.
Yes they had a chance in the final seconds with the ball under the basket.
They also played without their leading scorer Ayala.
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

All of the jokers on this forum who willed Fatts away from URI , go to your rooms . I know that we couldn't use either he or Tyrese Martin right now , SAD !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

🙄
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Isn't Maryland 11-14? I seen this movie before, it was called Eric Leslie.
'No Mercy.'
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago Isn't Maryland 11-14? I seen this movie before, it was called Eric Leslie.
Then there was the sequel called Zach Marbury.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago Isn't Maryland 11-14? I seen this movie before, it was called Eric Leslie.
Aka Zach Me-bury.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Oh , I must be mistaken I thought that Fatts was playing in the BIG 12 ( 10 ) not the A 10 ! Are you people serious , 37 MINUTES , 26 POINTS , NINE ( 9 ) REBOUNDS and 6 ASSISTS !!!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Aka Zach Me-bury.
I echo this thought. If a team is relying on Fatts to lead, then we've seen that that team is in serious trouble. Fatts plays his own game, looks to get his numbers, bottom line. It is not a coincidence that once Dowtin left, that URI's fortunes have gone downward. Dowtin was a leader, made others better, and was a winner. He was the culture. It does not surprise me that a team as talented as Maryland is struggling with Fatts as their point guard. He never developed as a leader in 4-years in Kingston and certainly wasn't going to do it in a few months in College Park.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Aka Zach Me-bury.
I echo this thought. If a team is relying on Fatts to lead, then we've seen that that team is in serious trouble. Fatts plays his own game, looks to get his numbers, bottom line. It is not a coincidence that once Dowtin left, that URI's fortunes have gone downward. Dowtin was a leader, made others better, and was a winner. He was the culture. It does not surprise me that a team as talented as Maryland is struggling with Fatts as their point guard. He never developed as a leader in 4-years in Kingston and certainly wasn't going to do it in a few months in College Park.
Eh, some people thought that URI would be better offensively this year because Fatts was "dominating" the ball, which clearly hasn't happened. We're 219th in offensive efficiency via KenPom, after being 127 last year, with largely the same personnel. Fatts has been perfectly average for Maryland - PER of about 15, not incredible shooting numbers, but getting to the line a lot like he always has. I think it's more confusion about cause and effect. If you're looking to Fatts to be your #1 option on offense, then your roster construction is inherently flawed.

The exception was his junior year - I'm not sure if that was a statistical outlier, and he just got "lucky" and more shots fell that year, or, if his injuries permanently reduced his ability. Either explanation strikes me as plausible.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Fatts

Unread post by ace »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago He’s not leaving guys.
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago As of today, this rumor has ZERO credence.

Could he leave? Possibly.

Will he? Doubtful.

lol

But yeah, some people have short memories about all those addition by subtraction comments.

This thread is a disaster on so many levels.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Aka Zach Me-bury.
Eh, some people thought that URI would be better offensively this year because Fatts was "dominating" the ball, which clearly hasn't happened. We're 219th in offensive efficiency via KenPom, after being 127 last year, with largely the same personnel. Fatts has been perfectly average for Maryland - PER of about 15, not incredible shooting numbers, but getting to the line a lot like he always has. I think it's more confusion about cause and effect. If you're looking to Fatts to be your #1 option on offense, then your roster construction is inherently flawed.

The exception was his junior year - I'm not sure if that was a statistical outlier, and he just got "lucky" and more shots fell that year, or, if his injuries permanently reduced his ability. Either explanation strikes me as plausible.
And then there are things that don't show up on the stat sheet...can't be measured by Ken Pom. They're called intangibles.

And even though URI's results are severely lacking, I would say that URI has better ball movement and more passing this year. They just don't have all the right pieces to make it work.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago All of the jokers on this forum who willed Fatts away from URI , go to your rooms . I know that we couldn't use either he or Tyrese Martin right now , SAD !
Go to your rooms :D :D

But Falcon, Martin, Toppin and Russell all left URI. 1800 Transfers per year now in College Basketball with 350 teams (used to be 400)

Russell stated to media that he wanted to go deep into the NCAA Tournament as his reason for picking Maryland. He also wanted to play with Donte Scott who was his teammate at Imhotep. Also with Qudos Wahab who transferred this season to Maryland from Georgetown.

There were very high hopes for Maryland. These were predictions from Way Too Early Polls after the transfers into Maryland were announced:
Sporting News: 5th
Stadium: 5th
ESPN: 6th
NCAA: 8th
The Athletic: 11th
USA Today: 11th
Sports Illustrated: 12th
CBS Sports: 13th
Washington Post: 18th
247 Sports: 22nd

Maryland is probably the biggest current underachiever in College Basketball based on expectations going into the season.
Maryland has lost 5 straight games and sits 13th of 14 Big 10 Teams at only 3-11, Maryland NET = 99 which is 13th in Big 10.

But they have a favorable last 6 games with 4 games against teams in the bottom 6 teams of the Big 10.

Purdue had a rough week losing to Michigan by 24 points and then just squeaking by 13th place Maryland at home by a point.

BUT it still shows that a team like Maryland is not out of it. Maryland played #3 Nationally Ranked Purdue to the wire @ Purdue without their top player Eric Ayala out with a wrist injury.

Maryland could surprise in their last 6 games and then really surprise in the Big 10 Tournament. Just like URI still can in the A10 Tournament and in their remaining games - ie the Davidson Win on Saturday.

Maryland (3-11) Remaining Games: Big 10 Conference Place and Conference Record to Date:
14th - @ Nebraska (1-13)
11th - Penn State (4-9)
9th - @ Indiana (7-7)
5th - Ohio State (8-4)
12th - Minnesota (3-10)
4th - @ Michigan State (9-4)

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/nc ... -lists?amp
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago All of the jokers on this forum who willed Fatts away from URI , go to your rooms . I know that we couldn't use either he or Tyrese Martin right now , SAD !

But Falcon, Martin, Toppin and Russell all left URI. 1800 Transfers per year now in College Basketball with 350 teams (used to be 400)

Russell stated to media that he wanted to go deep into the NCAA Tournament as his reason for picking Maryland. He also wanted to play with Donte Scott who was his teammate at Imhotep. Also with Qudos Wahab who transferred this season to Maryland from Georgetown.

There were very high hopes for Maryland. These were predictions from Way Too Early Polls after the transfers into Maryland were announced:

Maryland is probably the biggest current underachiever in College Basketball based on expectations going into the season.
Maryland has lost 5 straight games and sits 13th of 14 Big 10 Teams at only 3-11, Maryland NET = 99 which is 13th in Big 10.

But they have a favorable last 6 games with 4 games against teams in the bottom 6 teams of the Big 10.

Purdue had a rough week losing to Michigan by 24 points and then just squeaking by 13th place Maryland at home by a point.

BUT it still shows that a team like Maryland is not out of it. Maryland played #3 Nationally Ranked Purdue to the wire @ Purdue without their top player Eric Ayala out with a wrist injury.

Maryland could surprise in their last 6 games and then really surprise in the Big 10 Tournament. Just like URI still can in the A10 Tournament and in their remaining games - ie the Davidson Win on Saturday.

Maryland (3-11) Remaining Games: Big 10 Conference Place and Conference Record to Date:
14th - @ Nebraska (1-13)
11th - Penn State (4-9)
9th - @ Indiana (7-7)
5th - Ohio State (8-4)
12th - Minnesota (3-10)

If MD runs the table, that makes them 9-11 going into the B1G tourney. That is not an ncaa team. Sorry, they should not be considered anywhere near the bubble. If they are, then the NET and whatever else is being used to determine who is in/close to in, is a joke. (I'm probably misunderstanding your point and you probably mean they could make noise and win the B1G tourney to get in. But if you mean they are in with a 9-11 conference record plus a trip and loss to the B1G finals, then it truly is a joke).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

When the hell was there 400 Division 1 basketball teams?
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But Falcon, Martin, Toppin and Russell all left URI. 1800 Transfers per year now in College Basketball with 350 teams (used to be 400 transfers per year)

14th - @ Nebraska (1-13)
11th - Penn State (4-9)
9th - @ Indiana (7-7)
5th - Ohio State (8-4)
12th - Minnesota (3-10)

If MD runs the table, that makes them 9-11 going into the B1G tourney. That is not an ncaa team. Sorry, they should not be considered anywhere near the bubble. If they are, then the NET and whatever else is being used to determine who is in/close to in, is a joke. (I'm probably misunderstanding your point and you probably mean they could make noise and win the B1G tourney to get in. But if you mean they are in with a 9-11 conference record plus a trip and loss to the B1G finals, then it truly is a joke).
Yes. Maryland must win the B10 Tournament just like URI must win the A10 Tournament.

Maryland at 3-11 is not going to win their last 6 but because 4 of the 6 are lower level teams Maryland could gain some momentum. That’s my only point, sorry I wasn’t clear.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago When the hell was there 400 Division 1 basketball teams?
I tried looking this up. I couldn't outright refute that claim but I certainly didn't find anything that corroborated it. That sounds outrageously high.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago When the hell was there 400 Division 1 basketball teams?
I tried looking this up. I couldn't outright refute that claim but I certainly didn't find anything that corroborated it. That sounds outrageously high.
There's only like 350ish
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I think the 400 refers to # of transfers...
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
There's only like 350ish
There's 357 or 358. I can't remember a time with 400 which is what I was trying to find.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
I think you're right. Awkward spot for that parenthetical statement. Maybe after the 1800 transfers would have been clearer.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think you're right. Awkward spot for that parenthetical statement. Maybe after the 1800 transfers would have been clearer.
Fixed it. The point was there are 1800 transfers per year and only 350 teams. There used to be 400 transfers per year and that was only 2-3 years ago. Could be over 2000 this year.

That’s about 5-6 transfers average per team.
So for Falcon to be telling all here to go to their rooms because Russell and Martin transferred is maybe a bit off track?

Transfers are getting waivers approved like watermelon seeds as Rothstein says.

Ok with me. That’s how we built the URI WBB team so quickly with transfers from Missouri, North Carolina State, Seton Hall, Texas A&M and PC. Just need to recruit the right transfers. Can get a strong team in no time with the right staff.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago Oh , I must be mistaken I thought that Fatts was playing in the BIG 12 ( 10 ) not the A 10 ! Are you people serious , 37 MINUTES , 26 POINTS , NINE ( 9 ) REBOUNDS and 6 ASSISTS !!!
It's such a strange phenomenon. Like 2-3 out of every 8-10 games, Fatts has a good game, and these weird fan boys come out of the woodwork to tell everyone how great Fatts is.

Then, like wack-a-mole, they return to their holes for the other games where he's like 5/15 for 12 pts shooting .167 from 3, or 10 points and 4 TO's in 34 mins, or 12 points on 3/12 shooting in 33 mins. Which literally just happened in a 3 game streak 2 games ago.

Did I mention all these games talked about are L's?

Fatts is a career barely above average player if you go by advanced metrics. The eyeball test would tell you he's got big play capability but largely is too selfish to make a sustained impact. He had one good year out of 5. He's going overseas to play at best.

Thanks Fatts for the Trae Young steal, the PC game when you came off the bench, the Harvard shot, and the St Joes game.

But like...if you could've played within yourself and not needed to be THE guy, we probably at least go to one more tournament.

I'm sure Maryland is loving that they brought you in to show them how limitless you made their team.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Was 400 transfers. There has never been close to 400 D1 schools. They range normally from 350 to 353 or so. The ncaa statistics report sorted by teams is exactly 350 teams this year.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In Fatts defense I will go down as saying he was under coached here and we did not see his potential in years 2, 3 and 4. Even despite that he was instrumental in 2 PC victories and 1 NCAA win and bc their haven't been a surplus of those he will always have a place in Rhody history books.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago In Fatts defense I will go down as saying he was under coached here and we did not see his potential in years 2, 3 and 4. Even despite that he was instrumental in 2 PC victories and 1 NCAA win and bc their haven't been a surplus of those he will always have a place in Rhody history books.
A URI basketball legend because, in my opinion, you can’t tell the history of URI basketball without bringing up the name Fatts Russell.
Go Rhody
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

AMEN !!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Not sure about under coached. Fatts had no right at the point over Jeff Dowtin. We said it year 1.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Not sure about under coached. Fatts had no right at the point over Jeff Dowtin. We said it year 1.
I get what he means. Fatts needed someone to tell him what his role was and force him to stay in that. Cox let him be bigger than the team. Fatts wanted that, but he needed to be reigned in.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago In Fatts defense I will go down as saying he was under coached here and we did not see his potential in years 2, 3 and 4. Even despite that he was instrumental in 2 PC victories and 1 NCAA win and bc their haven't been a surplus of those he will always have a place in Rhody history books.
This is a really good point would have loved to see DH coach Fatts @ URI and see how he turned out in years 2, 3 and 4 I think so much better
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Two days late but I'd be remiss if I didn't add a new entry to this thread.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/aba/140188 ... ts-in-win/

Make F A T T S Great Again!
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Two days late but I'd be remiss if I didn't add a new entry to this thread.

Article states "From 2007 to 2021, Russell played college basketball for the Rhode Island Rams. He then spend one year with the Maryland Terrapins".

14 years eligibility? All those exception COVID years added up. /s/
'No Mercy.'
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Two days late but I'd be remiss if I didn't add a new entry to this thread.

Article states "From 2007 to 2021, Russell played college basketball for the Rhode Island Rams. He then spend one year with the Maryland Terrapins".

Those Cox years were l o n g years.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
Sweep The Leg wrote: 1 year ago

Those Cox years were l o n g years.
I'm pretty sure I aged 14 years in that 4 year period. :lol: