David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Section104 wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Top A10 programs can, without question, keep players like Tyrese and Toppin. It’s not impossible under the right coach…It’s impossible under Cox
Except the best program in the A10 this year also lost a player to Kentucky.

Facts don’t matter though huh? Would rather make things up to fit your narrative?
Davidson does not have grad school courses. He graduated and was forced to transfer or go pro. Davidson was not an option for Grady
And why do we think he chose to go to Kentucky? Cause he wanted to party one more time? No cause it’s a blue blood program
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

There’s the in-game basketball decisions, but my two concerns from the beginning are still there, almost four years in. The first was him coming to understand all that goes into being the main guy. Cox early on commented that he thought he could be the head coach and an assistant, to do the full jobs of both. It’s not possible. In many ways, being an assistant is a prime job. You can get tons of credit but ultimately nothing is your responsibility. Head coaches can get too much credit but also too much blame. No one cares about specifics, it’s on them.

Second, I had concerns about him not valuing roster spots enough and that goes for recruitment, retention, and development. It’s not a great argument to say that all of the transfers suck anyway so who cares and also that the good players are going to transfer no matter what anyway. So nothing at all is on the coaches? There have been so many less than A10 caliber players come through the program. It’s wasted roster spots when the rotation they throw out there could use some help.

There was money involved if Cox was not named head coach, mainly because this program does not compensate well enough to keep assistants from leaving. Cox has solved that by hiring assistants no one else really wants right now. The money is there to get them in, but he hasn’t. In the later years, all of the incentives in Hurley’s contract were about program enhancements. Even still, he had the writer who covered Rhody sports saying that he “acted like he was bigger than the program.” I hope someone does. Nothing moves forward without that.

It wasn’t just about keeping the recruiting class and roster, culture, etc. Half of this board was convinced that the only reason Hurley’s teams had any success was because of Cox, that he was the one making all the decisions and getting the good players. It’s all here, somewhere… the popular refrain was that Hurley was a good coach to rebuild but that Cox was the guy who could really elevate the program. I’m sad that it doesn’t seem to be working out for Cox. I don’t understand the need for personal attacks (the low IQ coach ones seem especially unnecessary), but some people will say any old thing like they’re not even talking about another person, who’s only offense is that he might not have been ready for the job he was given.
Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Very thoughtful review. Thank you.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago There’s the in-game basketball decisions, but my two concerns from the beginning are still there, almost four years in. The first was him coming to understand all that goes into being the main guy. Cox early on commented that he thought he could be the head coach and an assistant, to do the full jobs of both. It’s not possible. In many ways, being an assistant is a prime job. You can get tons of credit but ultimately nothing is your responsibility. Head coaches can get too much credit but also too much blame. No one cares about specifics, it’s on them.

Second, I had concerns about him not valuing roster spots enough and that goes for recruitment, retention, and development. It’s not a great argument to say that all of the transfers suck anyway so who cares and also that the good players are going to transfer no matter what anyway. So nothing at all is on the coaches? There have been so many less than A10 caliber players come through the program. It’s wasted roster spots when the rotation they throw out there could use some help.

There was money involved if Cox was not named head coach, mainly because this program does not compensate well enough to keep assistants from leaving. Cox has solved that by hiring assistants no one else really wants right now. In the later years, all of the incentives in Hurley’s contract were about program enhancements. Even still, he had the writer who covered Rhody sports saying that he “acted like he was bigger than the program.” I hope someone does. Nothing moves forward without that.

It wasn’t just about keeping the recruiting class and roster, culture, etc. Half of this board was convinced that the only reason Hurley’s teams had any success was because of Cox, that he was the one making all the decisions and getting the good players. It’s all here, somewhere… the popular refrain was that Hurley was a good coach to rebuild but that Cox was the guy who could really elevate the program. I’m sad that it doesn’t seem to be working out for Cox. I don’t understand the need for personal attacks (the low IQ coach ones seem especially unnecessary), but some people will say any old thing like they’re not even talking about another person, who’s only offense is that he might not have been ready for the job he was given.
And for all these reasons this needs to be the end for Cox at URI !!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Top A10 programs can, without question, keep players like Tyrese and Toppin. It’s not impossible under the right coach…It’s impossible under Cox

Facts don't matter though huh? Would rather make things up to fit your narrative?
Umm, I'm not making anything up? Obviously, you're going to find examples of great players leaving. I didn't say that it wasn't possible. You said A10 programs couldn't retain players pursued by high majors.

Speaking of Davidson, why didn't Lee transfer to a better program? Brajkovic? How about Kyle Lofton? Javonte Perkins? Osunniyi? Gilyard? Golden? Funk? ETC.. All high major talent. Do you honestly think they don't know the second they transfer, they would have high majors calling them? My point is top A10 coaches and programs can still convince key players to stay. It's not impossible..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Facts don't matter though huh? Would rather make things up to fit your narrative?
Umm, I'm not making anything up? Obviously, you're going to find examples of great players leaving. I didn't say that it wasn't possible. You said A10 programs couldn't retain players pursued by high majors.

Speaking of Davidson, why didn't Lee transfer to a better program? Brajkovic? How about Kyle Lofton? Javonte Perkins? Osunniyi? Gilyard? Golden? Funk? ETC.. All high major talent. Do you honestly think they don't know the second they transfer, they would have high majors calling them? My point is top A10 coaches and programs can still convince key players to stay. It's not impossible..
Sure. And in none of the examples listed are they comparable to Tyrese or Toppin

Tyrese recruited by his previous HC to go join a blue blood

Toppin recruited based on his brother being national player of the year and a freak athlete.

As solid of A10 players that many of those guys are, they aren’t other worldly or directly connected to a massive transfer opportunity
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Sure. And in none of the examples listed are they comparable to Tyrese or Toppin

Toppin recruited based on his brother being national player of the year and a freak athlete.

As solid of A10 players that many of those guys are, they aren’t other worldly or directly connected to a massive transfer opportunity
I'm sure Leggett had opportunities to transfer after his promising freshman year, and he didn't. The A-10 All-Rookie team last year was Kolek, Mustapha Amzil (Dayton), Jhamir Brickus (La Salle), Jordan Hall (Saint Joseph's) and Adrian Baldwin (VCU). Kolek transferred because his coach got fired, but the other four are still on their original teams, AFAIK. Yes, players have the ability to transfer more now than in the past, especially good players, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to retain them.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

I'm sure Leggett had opportunities to transfer after his promising freshman year, and he didn't. The A-10 All-Rookie team last year was Kolek, Mustapha Amzil (Dayton), Jhamir Brickus (La Salle), Jordan Hall (Saint Joseph's) and Adrian Baldwin (VCU). Kolek transferred because his coach got fired, but the other four are still on their original teams, AFAIK. Yes, players have the ability to transfer more now than in the past, especially good players, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to retain them.
Generally you’re correct

Tyrese and Toppin didn’t transfer to random high majors. They both had opportunities to join two of the best college basketball programs in the country. That is extremely difficult to retain talent against
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Tyler Burton drops 36 points vs St Bona....Cox passed on him, per Burton’s Dad

Who said he was a “great recruiter”?
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago There’s the in-game basketball decisions, but my two concerns from the beginning are still there, almost four years in. The first was him coming to understand all that goes into being the main guy. Cox early on commented that he thought he could be the head coach and an assistant, to do the full jobs of both. It’s not possible. In many ways, being an assistant is a prime job. You can get tons of credit but ultimately nothing is your responsibility. Head coaches can get too much credit but also too much blame. No one cares about specifics, it’s on them.

There was money involved if Cox was not named head coach, mainly because this program does not compensate well enough to keep assistants from leaving. Cox has solved that by hiring assistants no one else really wants right now. In the later years, all of the incentives in Hurley’s contract were about program enhancements. Even still, he had the writer who covered Rhody sports saying that he “acted like he was bigger than the program.” I hope someone does. Nothing moves forward without that.

I do not call the man names but unfortunately he still is not ready and for that reason needs to be replaced.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago Tyler Burton drops 36 points vs St Bona....Cox passed on him, per Burton’s Dad

Who said he was a “great recruiter”?
In my opinion that just makes him a poor judge of talent.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Every coach has misses like that (remember Obi Toppin) so it's tough to blame Cox for all that stuff. However, he has had trouble retaining his contributing players, and trouble developing the players he has retained. None of this matters. At the end of the day our record speaks for itself.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago Every coach has misses like that (remember Obi Toppin) so it's tough to blame Cox for all that stuff. However, he has had trouble retaining his contributing players, and trouble developing the players he has retained. None of this matters. At the end of the day our record speaks for itself.
Problem is, this is the 2nd local, all-conference type talent that individuals on this board can confirm was interested in playing at URI and we flat didn’t even bother to recruit them.

Kolek being the first.

I get that you have your recruiting “hot beds” but to not leverage your location or even look at high level local kids like this should be *yet another* fireable offense.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox's reputation as a great recruiter has certainly been tarnished since he's been the HC.

Way more misses than hits.

Remember, he had Dan Hurley as the closer......now it's solely up to him, and he's failed.

Over rated.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Somehow Cox snuck into GameDay today...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

More and more rumors and signs coming out of URI that people throughout campus are dissatisfied with Cox and the state of the men's basketball program. I have a really hard time thinking he doesn't get replaced after this season
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago More and more rumors and signs coming out of URI that people throughout campus are dissatisfied with Cox and the state of the men's basketball program. I have a really hard time thinking he doesn't get replaced after this season
Any details? I'd be curious to see how much momentum there is to remove Cox.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well I pointed out what Shane Donaldson said the other night on the radio. I heard a rumor this morning originating from outside athletics where certain higher ups are grumbling about men's basketball's performance. Unfortunately I'm not comfortable saying anymore than that because I'm getting this second or third hand and don't want to screw over the person that told me
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Well I pointed out what Shane Donaldson said the other night on the radio. I heard a rumor this morning originating from outside athletics where certain higher ups are grumbling about men's basketball's performance. Unfortunately I'm not comfortable saying anymore than that because I'm getting this second or third hand and don't want to screw over the person that told me
There BETTER BE some damn grumblings
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago Every coach has misses like that (remember Obi Toppin) so it's tough to blame Cox for all that stuff. However, he has had trouble retaining his contributing players, and trouble developing the players he has retained. None of this matters. At the end of the day our record speaks for itself.
Problem is, this is the 2nd local, all-conference type talent that individuals on this board can confirm was interested in playing at URI and we flat didn’t even bother to recruit them.

Kolek being the first.

I get that you have your recruiting “hot beds” but to not leverage your location or even look at high level local kids like this should be *yet another* fireable offense.
Kolek just wasn't a fit because his basketball IQ is too high.

Not enough inexplicable passes into double/triple teams in the post and passes out of bounds to the cheerleaders. Way too good a passer, shooter and decision maker to fit in with these guys. He might have encouraged some stability! Can't have that.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Come join me, fellow Grumblestiltskins! 🤓
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Can we fire this clown at halftime and hire Archie already ?

Enough w this shitshow

Let’s get a coach in here w a basketball IQ greater than this buffoon of a coach
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He’s definitely slow on adjustments.
GO RAMS
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

I’d let him go at the under 8.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Come join me, fellow Grumblestiltskins! 🤓
Your quote in pink comic sans is HILARIOUS. I call it the cartoon font. This is now a cartoon!

Load up the clown car.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Well I pointed out what Shane Donaldson said the other night on the radio. I heard a rumor this morning originating from outside athletics where certain higher ups are grumbling about men's basketball's performance. Unfortunately I'm not comfortable saying anymore than that because I'm getting this second or third hand and don't want to screw over the person that told me
I don't blame you for not divulging more, but I'd say that the info you got has to be 100% accurate as you tend to share very factual things around the program and the university itself.

When the SID says something, then you know things are completely derailing.

The entire coaching staff needs to go.
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

It can't be a mystery to anyone associated with this program that we need to rip the band-aid off! It's been obvious!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Cue it up

Everybody sing !!!!

I can see the mountains I can see the skies with 3 more minutes to go
And it's to dern pretty for a man that don't want to die 2 more minutes to go
I can see the buzzards I can hear the crows 1 more minute to go
And now I'm swingin' and here I go-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Even though I thought Cox should have been fired after last season, once he started this season I didn't think there was a reason to fire him mid-season. Plus, I never felt like letting him finish out would slow our search. I'm sure Thorr has been getting a list together and either him and/or the boosters might be able to get back door talks started. Today, and this streak have changed my mind, he should be fired after this game. Bozeman isn't the long term answer, but he's plenty qualified to get this team to the finish line. It's not fair to the players, and honestly to Cox himself, to let this continue
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

…but it was fun playing out there like the Community league days.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

As my mother would say, "Jesu Christi"
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

[media] [/media]
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

In all honesty…it’s almost like the staff and team know there’s a change coming soon. Nobody cares and if shows.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago In all honesty…it’s almost like the staff and team know there’s a change coming soon. Nobody cares and if shows.
I was just texting a few people and the consensus is all the same, everyone said it's like they don't even want to be there.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Even I didn't think it would get THIS bad.

There's really not much more to say.

They have quit...coach, staff, players...all of them.

I honestly can't remember us being this bad at home for such a stretch of games.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Even McCall, who is likely also gone after this season, seemed to coach like he cares, way more than Cox.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jeff Boals
Bryce Drew
Me
The custodian at Butterfield
Whoever coaches LaSalle HS
Anyone
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Facts don’t matter though huh? Would rather make things up to fit your narrative?
Because Davidson doesn’t have a graduate school he had to leave no matter what lol
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You know it's bad now, when the few remaining on this board that still held out for a last minute tournaround, have given up the ghost.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

If Cox was AD, he'd fire the head coach after an 8 game winning streak to stop momentum.
'No Mercy.'
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Even though I thought Cox should have been fired after last season, once he started this season I didn't think there was a reason to fire him mid-season. Plus, I never felt like letting him finish out would slow our search. I'm sure Thorr has been getting a list together and either him and/or the boosters might be able to get back door talks started. Today, and this streak have changed my mind, he should be fired after this game. Bozeman isn't the long term answer, but he's plenty qualified to get this team to the finish line. It's not fair to the players, and honestly to Cox himself, to let this continue
From your fingers to Thorr's eyes...
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago If Cox was AD, he'd fire the head coach after an 8 game winning streak to stop momentum.
👏👏👏😀
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pay him for the rest of this season, and his 300K buyout, and bye bye...thank you for your service.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Jeff Boals
Bryce Drew
Me
The custodian at Butterfield
Whoever coaches LaSalle HS
Anyone
……..ABC……..Anybody But Cox…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago If Cox was AD, he'd fire the head coach after an 8 game winning streak to stop momentum.
👏👏👏😀
Compete, have fun and maybe pull out a win!

Cox stole this quote from Nick Cannon. He just added "a win" to it.
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What's a win?

Something new?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There's comedy, there's high comedy, and then there's this post. Just truly outstanding
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would like to see a change made tomorrow but I doubt Thorr pulls the trigger , definitely Cox is out end of year I would think
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »