David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by RIFan »

Bill Koch is making the case! He's putting the data behind what our eyes have been telling us! Really there is no reason to let Cox play out the season, the sooner he is gone the sooner we get through all the stupid state hiring rules about posting a job, etc. If that is possible. It also sends the message that we are serious about success!
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

One thing to consider that will influence but not prevent a coaching change is the department's revenue. No ticket revenue last year and low numbers this year. While donations hit an all-time high, almost no athletic department can make up this gap.Also the units from the NCAA tournament will run out in two years and the overlap runs out next year.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

bwerner10 wrote: 2 years ago One thing to consider that will influence but not prevent a coaching change is the department's revenue. No ticket revenue last year and low numbers this year. While donations hit an all-time high, almost no athletic department can make up this gap.Also the units from the NCAA tournament will run out in two years and the overlap runs out next year.
Then the quicker we bring someone in who can take us dancing, the better, so there’s no break in receiving NCAA units!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

bwerner10 wrote: 2 years ago One thing to consider that will influence but not prevent a coaching change is the department's revenue. No ticket revenue last year and low numbers this year. While donations hit an all-time high, almost no athletic department can make up this gap.Also the units from the NCAA tournament will run out in two years and the overlap runs out next year.
So let's just keep Coach Clueless and drive this jalopy straight off the cliff.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Loss of revenue is definitely an issue when it comes to funding this program right now, due to covid etc.......

If we are going to upgrade and also increase the salary for a new staff, the boosters will absolutely have to step up big time in order to get this done.

Otherwise the school is unlikely to follow through, they simply do not have the money by themselves.

Something on the order of what they promised to Hurley will need to be repeated.

And that's a big if.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

After the loss to Richmond, besides the fatigue excuse, he said we lost to a much older and more experienced team (even though we have several players who are in their 3rd, 4th and 5th years). What's the excuse against Dayton....younger, fresher legs?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago After the loss to Richmond, besides the fatigue excuse, he said we lost to a much older and more experienced team (even though we have several players who are in their 3rd, 4th and 5th years). What's the excuse against Dayton....younger, fresher legs?
Jelling?
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Let me just throw this out there: The conventional wisdom (including my own) is that Cox doesn't coach here next season without a contract extension. And if this season continues on the current trajectory he should and will be terminated.

But what if ... what if there is a perfect storm brewing for Cox to return next season without an extension?

I know Thorr is smarter than that, but what if his hands are tied by the current financial situation and an inability to pay the buyout money and a new coach's salary simultaneously? Given the lack of awareness Cox has shown about the state of the program and his Pollyanna attitude at times, I could see him coming back to coach as a lame duck if the university let him.

I really don't even want to think about this scenario and I know it's unlikely. But has anyone else considered it? Is it an even worse possible outcome than an extension, given the ramifications for recruiting?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago Let me just throw this out there: The conventional wisdom (including my own) is that Cox doesn't coach here next season without a contract extension. And if this season continues on the current trajectory he should and will be terminated.

But what if ... what if there is a perfect storm brewing for Cox to return next season without an extension?

I know Thorr is smarter than that, but what if his hands are tied by the current financial situation and an inability to pay the buyout money and a new coach's salary simultaneously? Given the lack of awareness Cox has shown about the state of the program and his Pollyanna attitude at times, I could see him coming back to coach as a lame duck if the university let him.

I really don't even want to think about this scenario and I know it's unlikely. But has anyone else considered it? Is it an even worse possible outcome than an extension, given the ramifications for recruiting?
Frankly, if you don't think he's the guy, then giving an extension is worse than not giving an extension, unless for some stupid reason his agent allows him to sign an extension with no guaranteed money. Sure, no extension, recruiting might suffer and Cox has a "lame duck" situation going on. But he still has a chance to save his job by radically altering his approach, for example. An extension ties you into paying him for two years.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Much easier to fire a coach these days and reload on the fly with immediate transfers.

Not the rebuilding project it’s been in years past.
Go Rhody
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago Let me just throw this out there: The conventional wisdom (including my own) is that Cox doesn't coach here next season without a contract extension. And if this season continues on the current trajectory he should and will be terminated.

Frankly, if you don't think he's the guy, then giving an extension is worse than not giving an extension, unless for some stupid reason his agent allows him to sign an extension with no guaranteed money. Sure, no extension, recruiting might suffer and Cox has a "lame duck" situation going on. But he still has a chance to save his job by radically altering his approach, for example. An extension ties you into paying him for two years.
That's a good point. I'll have to remember it every time the thought of this possibility enters my mind.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This scenario may not be as unlikely as you think. Recruiting is already done for next season, neither Cox nor any other new coach is going to bring in a game changing high school player at this point. So basically there’s a scenario where Cox isn’t extended and is told to fill your gaps (Sheppard, El Amin) in the portal and coach for your life next year. For a lot of reasons this isn’t totally improbable.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..it has been said here, this board will blow up with additional bad with losses, Fordham etc going forward………that tsunami will be mild with Cox returning next year under any of those what if’s…….however something bizzaro should not be ruled out……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

This is Coach Cox's roster. Every player was brought in by him and his staff. His biggest blunder and miscalculation was not bringing in a transfer point guard. Sheppard was effective at the two last season. He went with Shep and had no back up plan. His intention was to red-shirt Thomas so he was not even a thought. Why bring in El-Amin when he clearly crowds the off guard spot. What if Sheppard went down with an injury??? Now we are counting on a young man who shows potential but is not currently an A-10 quality point guard. Thomas is another NEC/MAAC/American East recruit brought in. The young man plays with so much heart and works extremely hard but really struggles finishing. But he makes Carlos Easterling's offensive game look good.

He and staff have struck out on every 4 year lead guard recruit the last few cycles. The most important position to build your team around in a league like the A-10 and he can't land a stud. Let's be honest what quality team in the A-10 would Bassy see time on. I'm not trying to discredit the young man and I realize he was forced into this situation because Cox's plan failed.

Cox was a lead guard for crying out loud! He is one of the career assist leaders at William and Mary. He is a bright guy! How in God's creation can't you get better guard play from your lead guard. How could you be in year 4 with this mess at that position. Hurley's holdovers -Jeff, Cyril, and yes Fatts bailed him out his first few years. This is all his mess. I hold little hope he can turn this around.

Play Walker and Carey!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'd rather he be replaced but am not worried about him having a lame duck status in the least. He needs to earn an extension just like his players should need to earn playing time,
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

This scenario may not be as unlikely as you think. Recruiting is already done for next season, neither Cox nor any other new coach is going to bring in a game changing high school player at this point. So basically there’s a scenario where Cox isn’t extended and is told to fill your gaps (Sheppard, El Amin) in the portal and coach for your life next year. For a lot of reasons this isn’t totally improbable.
Recruiting is never done. Players you think have committed can change their minds right up until the day they enroll. And you have to keep recruiting the players already on your roster lest some other program steal them. And because you don't know who's staying and who's going, you always have to be ready to find new players.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago

Recruiting is never done. Players you think have committed can change their minds right up until the day they enroll. And you have to keep recruiting the players already on your roster lest some other program steal them. And because you don't know who's staying and who's going, you always have to be ready to find new players.
I agree with Red, that recruiting isn't done, still many players are undecided and waiting till the spring signing period.
Besides, recruits do decommit, they may either change their mind or the staffs are being replaced.

Coaches don't stop until the recruits are enrolled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

I agree with Red, that recruiting isn't done, still many players are undecided and waiting till the spring signing period.
Besides, recruits do decommit, they may either change their mind or the staffs are being replaced.

But now they can change their minds after they enroll too.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

But now they can change their minds after they enroll too.
Which makes it even better for the supply available. 1800 in portal last year. No excuses.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm actually terrified that this scenario is way more likely than any of us care to admit. The covid/financial excuses provide an awful lot of cover for a lot of bad decisions.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago

I'm actually terrified that this scenario is way more likely than any of us care to admit. The covid/financial excuses provide an awful lot of cover for a lot of bad decisions.
It is definitely likely. Unless we literally lose every game and completely collapse. This is Rhody we are talking about we have a 20 year old calling our TV games so we can save a few hundred dollars.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

FIRE the incompetent SOB COX

LOSER COACH

TITANIC
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago FIRE the incompetent SOB COX

LOSER COACH

TITANIC
Only way that can happen is with a sucktacular flameout. Mediocrity signs us up for at least one more year.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Loss of revenue is definitely an issue when it comes to funding this program right now, due to covid etc.......

If we are going to upgrade and also increase the salary for a new staff, the boosters will absolutely have to step up big time in order to get this done.

Otherwise the school is unlikely to follow through, they simply do not have the money by themselves.

Something on the order of what they promised to Hurley will need to be repeated.

And that's a big if.
What boosters are you talking about? Most of the big boosters of the past are either deceased or too old to even care anymore. The two or three that are left were all in on Pitino and we all know how that worked out. That group will never bail the program out to move on from Cox and bring in an upgrade. My guess is that Cox will neither be fired nor extended. The buyout will be too costly. They will ride him out another year and if he gets us to the tournament then maybe an extension is possible. He may even want to move on from us. If he continues at the rate he's going then we will be looking for the next coach to do a rebuild.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Should have listened to me

I was in on pitino

Only fools wanted Cox

Get off the court
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Most wanted Pitino.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Most wanted Pitino.
I was in on Pitino as well though I think there were a lot of posters that were done with URI if we hired him
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Most wanted Pitino.
I was in on Pitino as well though I think there were a lot of posters that were done with URI if we hired him
There were a small number who wanted Pitino. I was one. Reef, NYGiants 208, Maybe 4-5 total. Vast majority wanted Cox and most didn’t just not want Pitino but were strongly opposed to him.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Yeah I remember about the handful wanting him
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Yeah I remember about the handful wanting him
And a whole lot didn’t want him at all, ever. They wanted Cox.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Pitino was a non starter. Dooley was against it. It wasn’t going to happen.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The majority of KB posters didn’t want him, very few did.
Their opinions were not based on what Dooley wanted.
Several key long term boosters had different opinions from Dooley.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I thought Cox was the right hire, but I would’ve supported a Pitino hiring.

This isn’t the United Way. Win basketball games.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Honestly the past is the past

And the present is now and we need to get rid of COX now
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sure the past is the past. And so are the 7000 posts you have to "fire cox now"
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Just a thought on the transfer situation:

The further you fall from relevancy the harder it will be to land impactful transfers and be competitive those first few years.

URI is still in a decent spot because while the results have not been good, it’s not like the freefall that occurred under Baron.

The right coach with the right mentality with one or two additional players is competing for the tournament. Heck the right coach with these guys might have the team on-the-bubble.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago Just a thought on the transfer situation:

The further you fall from relevancy the harder it will be to land impactful transfers.

URI is still in a decent spot because while the results have not been good, it’s not like the freefall that occurred under Baron.

The right coach with the right mentality with one or two additional players is competing for the tournament. Heck the right coach with these guys might have the team on-the-bubble.
Yup. Exactly.

Hence why those of us living in realty want the change ASAP so we don’t take the long fall into irrelevance and mediocrity.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Jim Baron is like John Wooden compared to this guy.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I watched Tyrese Martin play last night. He played just OK but his effort/hustle and involvement was more than I ever saw at any game when he played here where he appeared to be regularly coasting. Players play for Hurley- not so much for Cox
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago Just a thought on the transfer situation:

The further you fall from relevancy the harder it will be to land impactful transfers.

Yup. Exactly.

Hence why those of us living in realty want the change ASAP so we don’t take the long fall into irrelevance and mediocrity.
Versus those living in reality 4 years ago who didn't want Hurley's recommendation
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: Pitino, I would also add that nobody hired him until Iona in March 2020, and URI hired Cox in April 2018. Pitino was fired in October 2017, the NCAA vacated Louisville's title in February 2018, and Pitino was still absolutely radioactive at that point. I don't even think a single school interviewed him until Iona hired him.
Last edited by SGreenwell 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the date from Feb. 2017 > Feb. 2018.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is correct.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The basketball team is a pretty big operation to allow it to fail.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago Jim Baron is like John Wooden compared to this guy.
Ouch
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago I watched Tyrese Martin play last night. He played just OK but his effort/hustle and involvement was more than I ever saw at any game when he played here where he appeared to be regularly coasting. Players play for Hurley- not so much for Cox
This post is blatantly false. I watched Uconn wire to wire last night

1) Tyrese played like shit and had one of his worst games in awhile. He’s a good player but that is what it is

2) He did nothing extraordinary from a hustle perspective last night. He played exactly how he did here.

Hurley isn’t coming back. Go be a full time Uconn fan if you want. But this is silly
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago The basketball team is a pretty big operation to allow it to fail.
URI basketball and the US banking industry: too big to fail!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I still feel sorry for those who keep saying let this year play out.

I have a feeling they will still be saying that come the first game of the A10 tourney.

Keep fooling yourselves, guys.

We're going 3-8 or 4-7 the rest of the way...and might win a maximum of one game in DC.

Book it.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I still feel sorry for those who keep saying let this year play out.

I have a feeling they will still be saying that come the first game of the A10 tourney.

Keep fooling yourselves, guys.

We're going 3-8 or 4-7 the rest of the way...and might win a maximum of one game in DC.

Book it.
I’m not sure anyone who is saying “let this year play out” is expecting a miraculous turnaround.

Rather we know Cox isn’t getting fired mid year. Might as well just have a beer and watch the rest of the season.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The problem is, it's sort of like groundhog day watching us....no matter how the first 35 minutes of games go, the end result is the same...just the opponent is different.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I don't understand why in typical old school RI fashion, some consistently gravitate towards the coaches that are corrupt and/or cheat (Harrick, Pitino, etc) as being a good fit or solution for URI. I guess we're that desperate as a fan base? There are other ways to win. In my opinion, it's a matter of identifying more Dan Hurley type coaches...young guys who are up and coming & are proving at smaller schools that they can win & get more from a team than what you'd expect from their individual talent level. They are out there. Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Archie Millar, Anthony Grant, & Dan Hurley, and others were solid coaches early in their careers & all of them started somewhere. Dayton always seems to find solid coaches. It's impressive.
https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/27/n ... or-coaches
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey