1/25 | Richmond | 6:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Re: 1/25 | Richmond | 6:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

THERE IT IS!!! The process is back.

Time is a flat circle.
I walked out once Mitchell threw up that three with just over a min to play down 2. Got in the car and Steve McDonald says the same thing before Cox post game "Richmond is a tough team" turned radio off. Why protect the coach!? This was the end for me. The end of any speck of momentum that Hurley left us with, the end of a practice facility. The end of investing into this program, until the University does it fully. This is who we are! A vicious cycle of making the tournament every 20 years after 3 coaches/contracts. I'm sitting out as a season ticket holder next year if Cox is still here.I should of taken the advice after Saturday. But, I was in denial i suppose. I'm with Blue man now!
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Jalen Carey sat the whole first half, played excellent the second half, and came out for Leggett when we were up 62-57.

Carey hit a 3, driving layup and single handily was breaking the press when he was in.

Leggett immediately picked up a foul, missed a god awful 3, and we have multiple turnovers because of their press right after that substitution.

We scored one more point, when the game was out of hand.

Leggett is just not a very good basketball player, Carey is CLEARLY better.

Clueless Cox just must not like Carey, there was zero reason for him to come out of the game.

Keep Carey in and the outcome is different.
RIGHT!!! Also why the fuck did Walker only get 20 min. He was playing great today.
Even more baffling was the fact that Cox used the word "fatigue" about a half dozen times in his postgame news conference. Yet of the eight players who saw time in this game, Walker played the third fewest minutes. If "fatigue" is such a concern, how do you not keep someone as rested as Walker is in the game? Not even taking into account the fact that many of us believe he's the best player on this roster and he was our leading scorer in this game.

Unconscionable.
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

I was watching the rebound stats all game and they were basically even at every point I looked so I was shocked driving home to hear that we were out rebounded by 9. Just checked the game cast - after Antwan foul around 5 min mark (and I think he was pulled out quickly after) we didn’t get another rebound - it was 9 straight by Richmond. Agree with the poster who commented it’s not just that he’s a good player who hustles, it’s that he makes everyone else around him better just by being in the game. Including the Mitchells. Baffling he’s not in at the end of these games.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago NHL 94 bonded a generation. Where you could do the same wrap around the net move and score every time.
Alexander Mogilny and Jeremy Roenick were my go to guys in that game. Unstoppable.
Hah! I always was the Red Wings or Kings. My game strategy was shooting as many one-timers as I could.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodygirl2 wrote: 2 years ago I was watching the rebound stats all game and they were basically even at every point I looked so I was shocked driving home to hear that we were out rebounded by 9. Just checked the game cast - after Antwan foul around 5 min mark (and I think he was pulled out quickly after) we didn’t get another rebound - it was 9 straight by Richmond. Agree with the poster who commented it’s not just that he’s a good player who hustles, it’s that he makes everyone else around him better just by being in the game. Including the Mitchells. Baffling he’s not in at the end of these games.
I haven’t understood his lack of minutes this season.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago Did anyone here stay the entire game? I don't know of anyone who did. Which is telling.
We did but just because so many people were getting on the road early that getting out of there would be a breeze.
That’s a valid decision. I’ll stand behind that.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago NHL 94 bonded a generation. Where you could do the same wrap around the net move and score every time.
Alexander Mogilny and Jeremy Roenick were my go to guys in that game. Unstoppable.
Hah! I always was the Red Wings or Kings. My game strategy was shooting as many one-timers as I could.
On spring break we told a group of girls our names were all guys from NHL 94. They called my boy Jeremy Roenick all night. Was classic.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I am trying to wind down tonight and I’m still trying to wrap my brain around the way this is going. If this is the end of it for David as HC, they will have to do a buyout for his contract next season.

That being said, my understanding is that whatever guaranteed salary he has without any perks and bonuses would have to be paid out. That would lessen the pool to pay a new HC, for sure. Plus, the assistants pool isn’t that big to begin with?

Correct me if I am wrong, but for CFL’s last season we did have Carr and PMurph on the coaching staff?

I know we are all bound to have ups and downs through life and so be it, but this product being produced right before our eyes is horrendous.

Hey well there’s Dayton on Friday and then I guess a foot of snow here on Saturday.
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Taking out Carey and Walker was a death blow.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bruins starting lineup in NHL 94

Adam Oates
Cam Neely
Joey Juneau
Don Sweeney
Raymond Bourque
Andy Moog

When I wasn’t playing with the Bruins, I liked playing with Vancouver just to enjoy Patel Bure’s maximum speed.

Who else would do random team vs random team challenges with friends?

Also, any hardcore players here go with offsides ON?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
Bruins starting lineup in NHL 94

Adam Oates
Cam Neely
Joey Juneau
Don Sweeney
Raymond Bourque
Andy Moog

When I wasn’t playing with the Bruins, I liked playing with Vancouver just to enjoy Patel Bure’s maximum speed.

Who else would do random team vs random team challenges with friends?

Also, any hardcore players here go with offsides ON?
Always played with my team(Hartford) They sucked but Geoff Sanderson had speed and Zarley Zalapski(best name in hockey) had a great one timer. Always played with offsides on
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And the Whalers had Brass Bonanza!!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago I am trying to wind down tonight and I’m still trying to wrap my brain around the way this is going. If this is the end of it for David as HC, they will have to do a buyout for his contract next season.

That being said, my understanding is that whatever guaranteed salary he has without any perks and bonuses would have to be paid out. That would lessen the pool to pay a new HC, for sure. Plus, the assistants pool isn’t that big to begin with?

Correct me if I am wrong, but for CFL’s last season we did have Carr and PMurph on the coaching staff?

I know we are all bound to have ups and downs through life and so be it, but this product being produced right before our eyes is horrendous.

Hey well there’s Dayton on Friday and then I guess a foot of snow here on Saturday.
PMurph was here. Not sure about Carr.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I’m going to puke

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………more damaging data………blow it all up, nothing to salvage……..loss of committed recruits, don’t care, let them go, question Dave’s recruiting results anyway……..loss of current layers, bye bye, for me nothing there worth building around……..now Bassey, hope he would stay, get him shot improvements and free throws……..need clean slate, total revamp of program…….yes, I can live with a total rebuild………
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

“Blow it all up” doesn’t take as long to fix when transfers don’t have to sit out a year. Hire the right coach - maybe someone recently let go like Mack - and the improvement will be immediate.

Leave Cox for 1 more year and you lose an entire fan base.

The right coach can work with the Mitchell twins. The right coach can get 1 more year out of Walker.

Thorr - Go spend money and stop paying discount prices for the one program that drives University revenue and interest. The ROI will be immediate with the right guy.

I supported the Cox hire. It made sense. It didn’t work, but thankfully new rules with immediate eligibility make a “rebuild” a lot quicker and make this job much more attractive - regardless of what remains.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Section104 wrote: 2 years ago “Blow it all up” doesn’t take as long to fix when transfers don’t have to sit out a year. Hire the right coach - maybe someone recently let go like Mack - and the improvement will be immediate.

The right coach can work with the Mitchell twins. The right coach can get 1 more year out of Walker.

Thorr - Go spend money and stop paying discount prices for the one program that drives University revenue and interest. The ROI will be immediate with the right guy.

I supported the Cox hire. It made sense. It didn’t work, but thankfully new rules with immediate eligibility make a “rebuild” a lot quicker and make this job much more attractive - regardless of what remains.
It’s not Thorr. Let’s hope Ryan or Soloviev care enough to break out the adult dollars.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I’m going to puke

It is sad, I did feel like I knew what the outcome would be, prior to the end.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Positive spin: if you have discretionary funds you should be rich betting 2H spreads with this team. Maybe use it to help with the Cox buyout?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I was going to post this but you beat me to it. A fireable offense (and a 🤮able one too).
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Someone didn't bring enough orange slices?
Maybe that's what they need to not be fatigued?
Well, can you think of a funner healthy snack?
Fruit Roll-Ups?
Mobley was fouled.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

This just tells me we have a team that CAN be really good with the players we have. We need to learn to finish games, if they do we can beat anyone in the A10. Season is not over in my mind and they could eventually get it but my faith in the coach/players to figure this out is not high.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What sucks is seeing players tweet after the game along the lines of "don't give up on us". I'm not disappointed in the players, its your coach.
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

This just tells me we have a team that CAN be really good with the players we have. We need to learn to finish games, if they do we can beat anyone in the A10. Season is not over in my mind and they could eventually get it but my faith in the coach/players to figure this out is not high.
……..bless you for keeping the faith, if the result last night was a outlier, I could see your view……..but, for me trend is troubling, wrong direction written all over it, in the Koch post……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago

Maybe that's what they need to not be fatigued?
Fruit Roll-Ups?
I ABSOLUTELY think that NYGFan won the "Best Post Comment" Award for this orange slice one! I cant stop laughing since I read it last night! :lol:
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Section104 wrote: 2 years ago “Blow it all up” doesn’t take as long to fix when transfers don’t have to sit out a year. Hire the right coach - maybe someone recently let go like Mack - and the improvement will be immediate.

Nailed it!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

First sentence is correct. There is talent on this team. Problem is in college basketball - a lot of teams have talent. It's how the coach uses that talent that makes the difference.

Cox inherited a team that knew how to finish games. He was a part of that culture. He inherited 4 starters and a few bench guys who were a part of that culture and knew the focus it took to finish games. He has now lost that.

I do not trust the guy who was handed a winning culture, and lost said winning culture, to be the guy to get the winning culture back.

Hurley said it was the biggest, hardest part of the rebuild. Convincing the guys they could win games.

The season is 100% over. This team could win out and not go to the NCAA. The only chance is the A-10 tournament.

We have 4 Q3/Q4 (known as BAD) losses. We will have MAYBE 2 opportunities for Q1 games left. MAYBE. There are 0 teams that have ever or will ever make the NCAAT with more bad losses than good wins. It does not happen. Especially outside of the P6.

So for your own sake, start the process of recognizing the season is over.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

The season was always about the A10 tournament - its not over. We have more talent on this team from 1-9 then almost any team in the A10. I truly believe that. We are now at that stage which is the hardest part, to convince the players they can win these games where they are really beating up on a team. The late game collapses are mental.

I am with you that I have very little confidence that David Cox can actually do that, but that is the task. Teach guys how to win the entire game prior to the A10 tournament.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Please stop! You sound like Cox…
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years ago

No, I don’t. Last night was not “fun” - if these results continue the rest of this season he should be fired. It is his job to get the guys to learn how to win. I am not confident he will do it.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago The season was always about the A10 tournament - its not over. We have more talent on this team from 1-9 then almost any team in the A10. I truly believe that. We are now at that stage which is the hardest part, to convince the players they can win these games where they are really beating up on a team. The late game collapses are mental.

I am with you that I have very little confidence that David Cox can actually do that, but that is the task. Teach guys how to win the entire game prior to the A10 tournament.
I keep reading that we have all this talent but do we? Our backcourt is nothing more than average. We have a talented frontcourt, but their IQ is very low, and they make many mistakes. We don't have one star on our team.. We also happen to have one of the worst coaches in the conference who doesn't play the best players anyways.

Please don't think that this team can win the A10 tournament.. They can't and won't
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think that's wrong...the Cox hire never ever made sense.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago And the Whalers had Brass Bonanza!!
Yes! The Brass Bonanza!!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago

Fruit Roll-Ups?
I ABSOLUTELY think that NYGFan won the "Best Post Comment" Award for this orange slice one! I cant stop laughing since I read it last night! :lol:
My guess is you as mom brought orange slices for the kids? 💜 it really is so nostalgic yet hilarious all at once. I actually thought about NYG’s comment again this morning haha
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The Cox hire 100% made sense.

99% of people here wanted him to save the recruiting class. There was a clause in his contract he was the head coach in waiting, or else there would be a buyout. Also, the pool of candidates who interviewed wasn't overwhelming, and not many here wanted one of them instead of Cox.

Hiring Cox was the right move for multiple reasons.

Firing Cox is now the right move for multiple reasons.
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Duke just hired Scheyer as a successor, North Carolina just hired Hubert Davis, and Texas Tech promoted within. We're none of those three programs and they all follow a similar model. Xavier has done is successfully for years.

Cox made sense at the time. We had a great nucleus returning and kept (At the time) a great recruiting class in tact. He had assistant experience at multiple stops, was well spoken, recommended by Hurley, and from a cost standpoint a "discount" compared to what the market was asking for a top tier option. The other challenge was the options were somewhat limited at the time.

Cox made sense. You may not have agreed with the hire as some on the board did not, but it made all the sense in the world. We didn't have money to steal a Nate Oats or someone comparable.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years ago

No, I don’t. Last night was not “fun” - if these results continue the rest of this season he should be fired. It is his job to get the guys to learn how to win. I am not confident he will do it.
…….my issue with Cox is that he does not know how to win or teach them the corrective actions to change the demonstrated results……….same thing game after game, wrong personnel on the floor, no apparent end of game strategy…….etc……expecting different results doing the same things…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think the Cox Hire was 90% to keep the players (that left anyways) and 10% for his potential.
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

My take was signing DC as HC would have kept that recruiting class and then BUILD on said recruiting class the subsequent seasons. We did not see that. Anyone not on a contract would have lost their job already with this dismal product.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I think the Cox Hire was 90% to keep the players (that left anyways) and 10% for his potential.
Keep the continuity of the roster, namely Fatts, Jeff, and Cyril who all ended up graduating from here.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Strong disagree. Terrible take. It was absolutely the right move based on what we knew at the time.

If you want to take the "next step" as a program, you build on your foundation from within.

Xavier is the perfect example. When they were in the A-10 - Pete Gillen had them on the rise, he left and the grabbed Skip Prosser (basically from within he left for a year after 8 years as an assistant). When Skip left they grabbed Thad Matta, a rising star from the outside at Butler. When Thad left? Sean Miller, from within. When Sean left? Chris Mack, from within. When Mack left? Travis Steele from within.

All throughout that run they continued to win conference titles, be a constant fixture in the top 25 and NCAAT, and moved up to the Big East.

That's the right model to follow.

We took a shot and we missed. You can't predict how someone will do for their first time in the HC chair.

But Miller, Mack, and Steele all got their first shots via a promotion.

Cox had seen everything Hurley did for 4 years. He helped recruit our best PG and a few others. He saw what it took to build a program and then keep it at a high level. I wasn't a fan of his hiring because of the recruiting class. I was a fan of his hiring because of the continuity of the culture. That culture that just won an A10 tourney, A10 title, and 2 NCAA games in 2 trips. Hurley said that "culture of winning" was the hardest thing to build. In keeping Jeff, Fatts, Cyril, Christion, it gave us an opportunity to build off of what we already saw they could do. The recruiting class was a bonus.

Cox was under Thompson, Rice, and Hurley for over 2 decades. 3 of the hardest-assed coaches to ever roam a sideline. How in the hell was anyone supposed to know he was going to be this soft in the #1 chair?

Hindsight is 20/20. He's a great "nice guy" to have on your bench if you're a hard-ass coach. You definitely need that. He's a high character guy who knows basketball and you want him around your program.

It just doesn't translate as a head coach. Unfortunately the only way to figure that out is to try. We tried. He failed. Onto the next.

But it's completely disingenuous to say the "Cox hire never made sense." It made a ton of sense and was completely defensible at the time. It just didn't work out.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

99% of people here wanted him to save the recruiting class. There was a clause in his contract he was the head coach in waiting, or else there would be a buyout. Also, the pool of candidates who interviewed wasn't overwhelming, and not many here wanted one of them instead of Cox.

I disagree. It didn't make sense and I think your 99% is way high. I know there are many here now saying, "I wanted Cox then...but now I see", which is nice...but I'd say the Cox bandwagon was far from unanimous...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Article out on Rhody MBB this afternnoon

Interesting timing of story.

Nothing to lose. Kid has surprised on the upside since committing to URI. Need a spark, leadership, enthusiasm.
I remember when some said Jeff Dowtin wasn’t a point guard his freshman year. Wouldn’t surprise me if Thomas takes the starting position the rest of the year similar to what Dolly Cairns has done on the WBB team and what Jeff did his freshman year.
What does this even mean????? Nothing to lose?? If you go by what some on this board are saying, Cox literally has HIS JOB to lose.
By nothing to lose I'll go back to what I've been saying for some time. URI is not going to get an At-Large Bid. Only hope is to win the A10 Tournament. The rest of the Conference play is to improve and prepare to have the best possible chance to win the A10 outright. Seeding is somewhat important, but to win the A10 you will have to beat the best teams anyway.

Playing Thomas for Sheppard against a veteran team like Richmond, and against the all time NCAA Career leader in Steals in 5th year senior Jacob Gilyard will be an excellent test to see what Thomas can do. Better than going against LaSalle, Fordham or George Washington. Better to learn now, see if Thomas is an improvement at PG and then make a change - or keep the status quo with Sheppard at PG. Another option is Thomas at PG and have Sheppard battle it out for the SG spot.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Section104 wrote: 2 years ago

Duke just hired Scheyer as a successor, North Carolina just hired Hubert Davis, and Texas Tech promoted within. We're none of those three programs and they all follow a similar model. Xavier has done is successfully for years.

Cox made sense at the time. We had a great nucleus returning and kept (At the time) a great recruiting class in tact. He had assistant experience at multiple stops, was well spoken, recommended by Hurley, and from a cost standpoint a "discount" compared to what the market was asking for a top tier option. The other challenge was the options were somewhat limited at the time.

Cox made sense. You may not have agreed with the hire as some on the board did not, but it made all the sense in the world. We didn't have money to steal a Nate Oats or someone comparable.
You could be right that we couldn't afford anyone else, but we all know that that "appointed successor" usefulness varies by case and is not a formula for success.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Strong disagree. Terrible take. It was absolutely the right move based on what we knew at the time.

If you want to take the "next step" as a program, you build on your foundation from within.

Xavier is the perfect example. When they were in the A-10 - Pete Gillen had them on the rise, he left and the grabbed Skip Prosser (basically from within he left for a year after 8 years as an assistant). When Skip left they grabbed Thad Matta, a rising star from the outside at Butler. When Thad left? Sean Miller, from within. When Sean left? Chris Mack, from within. When Mack left? Travis Steele from within.

All throughout that run they continued to win conference titles, be a constant fixture in the top 25 and NCAAT, and moved up to the Big East.

That's the right model to follow.

We took a shot and we missed. You can't predict how someone will do for their first time in the HC chair.

But Miller, Mack, and Steele all got their first shots via a promotion.

Cox had seen everything Hurley did for 4 years. He helped recruit our best PG and a few others. He saw what it took to build a program and then keep it at a high level. I wasn't a fan of his hiring because of the recruiting class. I was a fan of his hiring because of the continuity of the culture. That culture that just won an A10 tourney, A10 title, and 2 NCAA games in 2 trips. Hurley said that "culture of winning" was the hardest thing to build. In keeping Jeff, Fatts, Cyril, Christion, it gave us an opportunity to build off of what we already saw they could do. The recruiting class was a bonus.

Cox was under Thompson, Rice, and Hurley for over 2 decades. 3 of the hardest-assed coaches to ever roam a sideline. How in the hell was anyone supposed to know he was going to be this soft in the #1 chair?

Hindsight is 20/20. He's a great "nice guy" to have on your bench if you're a hard-ass coach. You definitely need that. He's a high character guy who knows basketball and you want him around your program.

It just doesn't translate as a head coach. Unfortunately the only way to figure that out is to try. We tried. He failed. Onto the next.

But it's completely disingenuous to say the "Cox hire never made sense." It made a ton of sense and was completely defensible at the time. It just didn't work out.
I have had horrible takes before and will likely have more, but to me, it didn't make sense. In Rhody's case, the only success you were "building off" was Hurls. And while it may be the right move within orgs of sustained success...I don't think that a couple good years (out of about a 20 year stretch?) means you've built sustaining successors from within. In this case, we hadn't. In order to build on sustained success, we needed someone that has been through the wars (with an 's') of competing in the ncaat, not just a couple years riding sidecar with a guy just coming into his own. My humble opinion.

Wasn't there a poll done here? Maybe 99% did prefer DC.....I just don't remember it that way.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My top choice at the time was Pitino , when he was nixed I was ok with Cox getting his shot but unfortunately that didn’t work out

We need to get the next hire right
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Interesting timing of story.

Nothing to lose. Kid has surprised on the upside since committing to URI. Need a spark, leadership, enthusiasm.
I remember when some said Jeff Dowtin wasn’t a point guard his freshman year. Wouldn’t surprise me if Thomas takes the starting position the rest of the year similar to what Dolly Cairns has done on the WBB team and what Jeff did his freshman year.
I would be shocked if Thomas takes the starting position the rest of the year for any reason other then injury. Don't think he's there yet.
Will be interesting to see what David Cox does for the URI (12-6) @ Dayton (13-7) Game on Friday Night ESPN2. My guess is he starts the Freshman Thomas against the Dayton Freshman Malachi Smith. Thomas performed quite well considering he was going up against a 5th year PG the caliber of Jacob Gilyard.

Thomas played a URI Team high 38 minutes before fouling out. 0-8 FG but several of his shots just missed (I know about horseshoes and hand grenades).
2 rebounds
7 assists - game high
1 steal 2 turnovers

Gilyard played a Game high 39 minutes 3-11 FG, 0-7 3FG, 9-9 FT, 1 rebound, 6 assists, 3 steals, 1 turnover, 1 foul, 15 points
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I’d very surprised if Cox starts Thomas over Shep. If Shep is active he starts. Especially on the road. I would prefer Thomas and Walker start but that wont happen.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I disagree. It didn't make sense and I think your 99% is way high. I know there are many here now saying, "I wanted Cox then...but now I see", which is nice...but I'd say the Cox bandwagon was far from unanimous...
It wasn’t unanimous, not even close. I was pissed that we didn’t perform a real search at the time. Reminded me of the Giants GM and coaching searches prior to now.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

At this point I’d prefer to see this lineup:

Thomas
Sheppard
El Amin
Walker
Makhel

3 above average three point shooters, a pass first PG and your best defensive 5 man. That’s my best starting lineup at this point in season. We will never see it but so be it.