Stay or go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Stay or go?

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago You guys understand that if there are fans in the stands spending money than the athletics department won’t make the financial investment to buy out the coach right?

Like AD’s aren’t fans. They’re GMs. They go off of numbers.

Because if URI wins 20 games and fires the coach, to an outsider that’s a red flag. That will trim down coaching candidates thinking that URI’s expectations are out of whack.

If people are still showing up they’ll ride the Cox train a little bit more.

And because PC comes in next year, ticket sales will increase automatically.

So if we win 20 games this year with fans in the stands, and everyone just “hopes” the athletic department will somehow “make the right decision” from a fan perspective - you’ll be wrong.

We’ll sign up for at minimum 2-3 more years of this until we get to 5 win territory like Baron.

“Covid” will be scapegoated as an excuse and we’ll be right back here for the next few seasons. Then with PC mini plans they’ll say “look people are coming to games” while we continue this pattern.

If you think Cox is the right guy for the job? Great. Cheer on and show up.

But if you think there needs to be a coaching change, showing up with anything but a paper bag on your head will not help make that happen.
First of all, even with a short-term extension Cox's buyout is probably very minimal by today's standards.
That will not sway Thorr's decision one way or another.

I don't know what will happen at the end of the season, but I do know Thorr is very passionate about the success of the basketball program.
I trust his judgement much more than yours, by your own admission of being very emotional and irrational at times.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I agree and have told my friends, "watch, we'll win 20ish games, people will think that's a good benchmark, and Cox will get extended for two more years and we'll be stuck like this for a little while longer."

I'm 30, and remember all the way back to the Keaney days, crying all the way home at 7 years old after watching Stanford come back on us.

I completely understand the other side (your side) but I'll be going to home games and watching every road game I can.

This is a true case of to each is own.
Ok lol so we understand each other.

I’m trying to avoid your above scenario.

The “people” who think 20 wins are a good benchmark are the people who go to these games complacent and happy to be there.

The only way that the athletics department knows that people aren’t happy with 20 wins is by empty seats.
That's not entirely true. You can have people that go to the games and are not complacent. They've spent the money and it's an event, something to do. I would bet that a lot of the older crowd/season ticket holders in fact are retired and it's especially viewed by them as something they do as part of their retirement/routine. I know the people we attend with fit this description - they definitely see the possibility of Cox not being renewed. I don't think you can put everyone in the same bucket. We can agree to disagree on that. Can't be too much of a fair-weather fan. It's still Rhody hoops.
Yeah...I mean that's literally my whole point. Most of our fans view URI basketball as a part of their retirement routine/date night/south county RI place to go in the winter.

Of course they could "see" the possibility of Cox not getting renewed. To them, having a basketball team to watch is much more important than having a good basketball team.

There is nothing wrong with that. I know people think I'm being disparaging but I'm being serious. I have accepted that not all fans of our basketball program are sports fans who have expectations of winning. I understand that concept. I vehemently disagree with it, but I understand it.

Rooting for a coaching change doesn't make you a fair-weather fan. It makes you a fan of the program, and not the person in the coaches' chair. There were plenty of people with the same opinion when Baron was on the way out. It took a 7 win season and empty stands to get that trigger pulled.

So a winning season, with Covid and everything else, plus fans still showing up to games, will mean a Cox extension. Book it. The only way they make a change if URI wins 16+ games, is with an empty Ryan Center.

Yes, I trust Thorr's judgement better than mine, I also have a feeling I know his thought process fairly well. Thorr is not a fan. Of course he wants to win, but he is a GM. He has other realities and consequences than just what the fans "see" and write about on the message board.

There is a new president. He is (basically) Australian. Like he literally was in Australia (and elsewhere around the globe for 17 years) until he came here. Who knows his level of care when it comes to NCAA basketball. College basketball is a numbers game. He may not approve a coaching change if he still sees fans cheering in the stands. Who knows?

Tom Ryan may still be salty about the Pitino thing. He may want Thorr to feel the pain a bit more. Again this is total speculation but he's the head of the URI foundation now. Maybe he won't want to break out the buyout money. That's another factor to consider.

We still don't have this practice facility started...we're like a couple hundred thousand short - $300k may not be a lot in today's basketball terms - but would that have to come out of that pot?

Just because "everyone" sees what's happening - unless there is a blatantly, unimpeachable, obvious detraction with this program - doesn't mean there will be a change.

We aren't on pace for a terrible losing record. We could very easily be bad down the stretch, and win 18 games. That's a 6-6 record. So the only other thing that would facilitate a coaching change would be tumbleweeds in the Ryan Center.

Again, very clearly: If all you care about is going to basketball games, and you will go regardless of the teams performance - that's great. Keep doing you.

If you want to see a GOOD basketball team, and you do not think this is the right coach to do that..if you think this coach needs to be changed...you are acting not in your self-described best interest by going to games. Attending games does not help your cause of making a coaching change.
Last edited by Blue Man 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Really confused about what you and Jersey are confused about. What Blue Man is saying is literally sports 101 shit. Teams absolutely use fan interest as a metric in whether to keep coaches or fire them. Thorr himself cited declining fan interest/attendance/revenue as part of the reason he fired Baron. People vote with their wallets and this athletic administration has said they listen to what wallets say
You don't need to give me a lesson in sports 101.

I am well aware that you, BlueMan, and a couple of others would prefer us to lose every game going forward just to rid us of Cox.

If somehow this team does go on a run, and makes it to the finals of the A10T, you two and maybe a couple of others will root against us to win.
After all, you feel "the end justifies the means".

As I said, I will continue to root for this team, and see how things unfold.

I trust Thorr and feel he will make the best decision for our program.
Would like to be clear as well, I’ll root for an NCAA appearance when we get to DC. That’s still the end goal.

An at large bid is dead. There is no point in rooting for that to happen. But it would be nice when we do fall short of our NCAA goals, that we’ll have an obviously terrible record and be able to move on to a new coach.
Really, you made it very clear that your end goal is for Cox to be gone.

You do realize that seeding is relevant on our chances of winning the A10T.
It doesn't make sense, that you said you will root for us in the A10T, but not in our conference games going forward.
Our conference record does have an impact on our chances in the tournament.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Never will understand encouraging fans not to go to watch their favorite team play.

Blue Man, you consistently given us the dictionary definition of “fanatic” to justify how you post / act at games, but now you’re claiming you “don’t care” and barely watch some of the games.

I don’t know who you are or how you act at games, but you’re coming off as a fair weather fan, when for years you claim you’re a fanatic.
Really confused about what you and Jersey are confused about. What Blue Man is saying is literally sports 101 shit. Teams absolutely use fan interest as a metric in whether to keep coaches or fire them. Thorr himself cited declining fan interest/attendance/revenue as part of the reason he fired Baron. People vote with their wallets and this athletic administration has said they listen to what wallets say

I am well aware that you, BlueMan, and a couple of others would prefer us to lose every game going forward just to rid us of Cox.

If somehow this team does go on a run, and makes it to the finals of the A10T, you two and maybe a couple of others will root against us to win.

If the team reaches the A10 finals, I'd be an absolute nervous wreck from the time we clinch a spot in the game until the end of the game hoping we win and make the tournament. I don't need to be right, I need URI to be successful
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Would like to be clear as well, I’ll root for an NCAA appearance when we get to DC. That’s still the end goal.

An at large bid is dead. There is no point in rooting for that to happen. But it would be nice when we do fall short of our NCAA goals, that we’ll have an obviously terrible record and be able to move on to a new coach.

It doesn't make sense, that you said you will root for us in the A10T, but not in our conference games going forward
Technically- seeding matters
Realistically- seeding doesn't matter- we can lose to any of these teams- we are not winning 3-5 consecutive tournament games
Last edited by Rhodyram 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

If the team reaches the A10 finals, I'd be an absolute nervous wreck from the time we clinch a spot in the game until the end of the game hoping we win and make the tournament. I don't need to be right, I need URI to be successful
Thank you.

Give me an NCAAT birth over being right that Cox is a bad coach and can't get us there.

I don't want to be right. I don't want us to suck. I just have a very strong feeling and a mountain of evidence that I am.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago You guys understand that if there are fans in the stands spending money than the athletics department won’t make the financial investment to buy out the coach right?

Like AD’s aren’t fans. They’re GMs. They go off of numbers.

Because if URI wins 20 games and fires the coach, to an outsider that’s a red flag. That will trim down coaching candidates thinking that URI’s expectations are out of whack.

If people are still showing up they’ll ride the Cox train a little bit more.

And because PC comes in next year, ticket sales will increase automatically.

So if we win 20 games this year with fans in the stands, and everyone just “hopes” the athletic department will somehow “make the right decision” from a fan perspective - you’ll be wrong.

We’ll sign up for at minimum 2-3 more years of this until we get to 5 win territory like Baron.

“Covid” will be scapegoated as an excuse and we’ll be right back here for the next few seasons. Then with PC mini plans they’ll say “look people are coming to games” while we continue this pattern.

If you think Cox is the right guy for the job? Great. Cheer on and show up.

But if you think there needs to be a coaching change, showing up with anything but a paper bag on your head will not help make that happen.
Paper bags! Now there's an idea! Who's in?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Thank you.

Give me an NCAAT birth over being right that Cox is a bad coach and can't get us there.

I don't want to be right. I don't want us to suck. I just have a very strong feeling and a mountain of evidence that I am.
Okay at least you are willing to consent on that.

Don't you realize that winning conference games (seeding) gives us our best chances to be successful in the A10T.
After all you just admitted that getting to the NCAAT is more important than your opinion of Cox.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Thank you.

Okay at least you are willing to consent on that.

Don't you realize that winning conference games gives us our best chances to be successful in the A10T.
After all you just admitted that getting to the NCAAT is more important than your opinion of Cox.
Agree to disagree. With this team/coach, the matchups in the bracket are more important than how we finish. That will be total luck. Every game is a dog fight no matter who we play. We can win or lose to anyone. We could be the 1 seed and get in a matchup with VCU or Dayton and they beat us. We could be the 12 seed and have a road that goes UMass, Joes, Dukes, La Salle and make the finals. Tournament basketball is chaos, which is why we all love it.

I think we need to make a coaching change. I've thought that for 3 years. The only way that happens this year is with an empty Ryan Center or a losing record.

That said, for me (and everyone in the change coach camp), NCAAT > our opinion of a coach, or being right on the internet.

We all want to dance. But if it's not looking like we will, I want the coaching change so we'll have that chance again someday. Every year with Cox is another year further from the rebuild we'll need to get back there.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

:x
Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago

It doesn't make sense, that you said you will root for us in the A10T, but not in our conference games going forward
Realistically- seeding doesn't matter- we can lose to any of these teams- we are not winning 3-5 consecutive tournament games
I guess if they had to play one less game that might help, but this conference stinks so I don’t think the 1 seed is much better than the 5 seed. We aren’t a well coached team as mentioned can lose to any of these teams. Anyone getting excited about seeding for the A-10 tourney is wasting their time.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago :x
Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago

I guess if they had to play one less game that might help, but this conference stinks so I don’t think the 1 seed is much better than the 5 seed. We aren’t a well coached team as mentioned can lose to any of these teams. Anyone getting excited about seeding for the A-10 tourney is wasting their time.
I am well aware there may not be a clear-cut favorite (maybe Davidson currently).

But playing less games in the tournament definitely helps your chances.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Ok lol so we understand each other.

I’m trying to avoid your above scenario.

The “people” who think 20 wins are a good benchmark are the people who go to these games complacent and happy to be there.

The only way that the athletics department knows that people aren’t happy with 20 wins is by empty seats.
That's not entirely true. You can have people that go to the games and are not complacent. They've spent the money and it's an event, something to do. I would bet that a lot of the older crowd/season ticket holders in fact are retired and it's especially viewed by them as something they do as part of their retirement/routine. I know the people we attend with fit this description - they definitely see the possibility of Cox not being renewed. I don't think you can put everyone in the same bucket. We can agree to disagree on that. Can't be too much of a fair-weather fan. It's still Rhody hoops.
Yeah...I mean that's literally my whole point. Most of our fans view URI basketball as a part of their retirement routine/date night/south county RI place to go in the winter.

Of course they could "see" the possibility of Cox not getting renewed. To them, having a basketball team to watch is much more important than having a good basketball team.

There is nothing wrong with that. I know people think I'm being disparaging but I'm being serious. I have accepted that not all fans of our basketball program are sports fans who have expectations of winning. I understand that concept. I vehemently disagree with it, but I understand it.

Rooting for a coaching change doesn't make you a fair-weather fan. It makes you a fan of the program, and not the person in the coaches' chair. There were plenty of people with the same opinion when Baron was on the way out. It took a 7 win season and empty stands to get that trigger pulled.

So a winning season, with Covid and everything else, plus fans still showing up to games, will mean a Cox extension. Book it. The only way they make a change if URI wins 16+ games, is with an empty Ryan Center.

Yes, I trust Thorr's judgement better than mine, I also have a feeling I know his thought process fairly well. Thorr is not a fan. Of course he wants to win, but he is a GM. He has other realities and consequences than just what the fans "see" and write about on the message board.

There is a new president. He is Australian. Like he literally was in Australia until he came here. Who knows his level of care when it comes to NCAA basketball. College basketball is a numbers game. He may not approve a coaching change if he still sees fans cheering in the stands. Who knows?

Tom Ryan may still be salty about the Pitino thing. He may want Thorr to feel the pain a bit more. Again this is total speculation but he's the head of the URI foundation now. Maybe he won't want to break out the buyout money. That's another factor to consider.

We still don't have this practice facility started...we're like a couple hundred thousand short - $300k may not be a lot in today's basketball terms - but would that have to come out of that pot?

Just because "everyone" sees what's happening - unless there is a blatantly, unimpeachable, obvious detraction with this program - doesn't mean there will be a change.

We aren't on pace for a terrible losing record. We could very easily be bad down the stretch, and win 18 games. That's a 6-6 record. So the only other thing that would facilitate a coaching change would be tumbleweeds in the Ryan Center.

Again, very clearly: If all you care about is going to basketball games, and you will go regardless of the teams performance - that's great. Keep doing you.

If you want to see a GOOD basketball team, and you do not think this is the right coach to do that..if you think this coach needs to be changed...you are acting not in your self-described best interest by going to games. Attending games does not help your cause of making a coaching change.
The new president isn't Australian :lol: :lol:

He was born in Providence.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago

There is a new president. He is Australian. Like he literally was in Australia until he came here. Who knows his level of care when it comes to NCAA basketball. College basketball is a numbers game. He may not approve a coaching change if he still sees fans cheering in the stands. Who knows?

Lmao. Don’t believe everything you see on the internet :lol: Ok larger point being he hasn’t been in the US for 17 years. Who knows if the guy cares about basketball.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago

Lmao. Don’t believe everything you see on the internet :lol: Ok larger point being he hasn’t been in the US for 17 years. Who knows if the guy cares about basketball.
He sure does care about generating revenue at basketball games though, seeing how there were beers in seats about 15 minutes after he became president!
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Another interesting scenario is say we drastically underachieve and go say 18-12 with our terrible SOS then somehow put it together and win the A10 tournament, what happens then ??
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Another interesting scenario is say we drastically underachieve and go say 18-12 with our terrible SOS then somehow put it together and win the A10 tournament, what happens then ??
If we win the A10T and get an NCAAT auto bid, then Cox will definitely get some sort of an extension.
That would probably give us an overall 22-12 (according to above) record going into the tournament, plus showing an upward trajectory with most likey 4 straight A10T wins.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 2 years ago Another interesting scenario is say we drastically underachieve and go say 18-12 with our terrible SOS then somehow put it together and win the A10 tournament, what happens then ??
2 year extension I would bet.

For whatever reason we weren't sold on Hurley after he turned the program around and got us there in year 5. We didn't make any wholesale changes to Hurley's contract. I wouldn't expect that the NCAA appearance alone, combined with another disappointing regular season effort, we be worthy of a major raise or huge extension.

Now if we actually won a game in the NCAAT or made the 2nd weekend? That would probably get him (and he would deserve) 4.

Give to Rhody's NIL
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

I am going to every game that I can attend . That does not mean - I dont think they need to make a move on Cox. I will support Rhody at all times. The experiment or trial period is over. I agree - that loss (and i was there for both that game and the Lasalle game) and the Lasalle win were pathetic. Our game plan and execution stink. The cry baby attitude about calls on EVERY play has to stop. Thorr will do whats right.

GO RHODY
F - Shitty Jim
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I would say he would have earned a three year extension, with a solid raise but a relatively low buyout. Both sides get something of value. It rewards Cox for reaching the goal but keeps us safe if it is more isolated hot streak than actual growth
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

:evil: I have no intention on quiting on this team. Totally frustrated but since I started with season tickets in ‘71 I might as well keep going. Question! Does anyone have any info on Carey? In the second half of Saturday’s game, Rhody had a time out and Jalen stormed away from the huddle mad as hell. When play resumed he sat on the very end of the bench. He did get closer to the huddle on other time outs. With many rams in foul trouble and Malik not playing and no one shooting well, Cox put in Berry. Why not Jalen ? Steve did not mention it on the post game nor did the reporters. Anyone have a clue?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Surely the Aussie and Thor can't be that dumb to think that it's okay to field a mediocre basketball team that won't do better than 5,000 fans a game?

You invest in winning and you make way more money. Are they the dumbest AD president combo in the country?

We are trending towards nothing. I mean to me it's worse than Baron. Baron had us in the NIT in year two and three from nothing. Baron ball was dumb, but his dudes could score and were consistently good at doing that and then they'd fall apart and okay their way out of the tournament.

3/4 of Cox's teams aren't even close to being an at large team and the one that was played there way out of a 7 seed in two weeks.

Even a Baron team doesn't lose that game against GW.

Our offense was suppose to be better! High IQ basketball he said. It's crazy how bad we are.

I have to think Thor can recognize this. I mean damn it ain't hard. There's just no question you get rid of Cox. It's easy as 1 2 FIRE COX.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

neil wrote: 2 years ago :evil: I have no intention on quiting on this team. Totally frustrated but since I started with season tickets in ‘71 I might as well keep going. Question! Does anyone have any info on Carey? In the second half of Saturday’s game, Rhody had a time out and Jalen stormed away from the huddle mad as hell. When play resumed he sat on the very end of the bench. He did get closer to the huddle on other time outs. With many rams in foul trouble and Malik not playing and no one shooting well, Cox put in Berry. Why not Jalen ? Steve did not mention it on the post game nor did the reporters. Anyone have a clue?
Neil,
I'll try.

Carey's minutes:
14:18 Carey in 1st Half.
-13:33 Missed jumper in paint
-12:39 Turnover on dribble
-12:23 Made 3FG
-11:45 Assist to Makhel for layup.
9:32 Carey out
5 minutes

5:42 Carey in 1st Half.
-1:28 Missed layup in lane (Leggier followed up and made put back)
-:33 Missed 3FG
-:01 Missed 3FG
6 minutes

13:15 Carey in 2nd Half
11:02 Carey out
2 minutes

At 11:14 of the 2nd half Joe Bamisile hit a 3FG on a fast break. Up to that point Bamisile had only 2 points the entire game. Previous 2 games Bamisile had 22 and 26 points respectively. He only got 8 against URI including 3-3 FTs when Makhel made that bad foul on him shooting a 3FG. Leggett had been covering Bamisile and some by El-Amin during the game. I think Carey may have been pulled because of that Bamisile made 3FG.

There was some chirping as Carey came to the bench as he was obviously not happy being pulled.

Carey also took a forced 3FG shot in the 1st half that he missed badly. This year the emphasis has been on fewer 3FG's and taking high percentage 3FG's. Reaction to that forced 3FG was not good from the URI bench coaching staff.

While Martin being out could have resulted in Carey getting more minutes, Leggett got a team high 32 minutes and almost got a double-double with 11 points and 9 rebounds including a game high 4 offensive rebounds - filling Martin's shoes. Carey got no rebounds in 12 minutes - maybe Cox was looking for more of a Martin type fill in from Carey?

If you haven't listened to it, I found the David Cox Radio Show interesting as he talked about having had a heart to heart talk with Jalen Carey a couple of weeks ago and they got on the same page. Cox had laid out his expectations for Carey at the time.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/821-whjj ... -91765185/
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I don't think Thorr needs a boycott from 20-30 fans to signal that things aren't where they once were. It's quite clear the enthusiasm and energy around the program has waned. The attendance has dipped. The losses have piled up. The program building recruits aren't coming in. If you trust the guy knows what he's doing (which I do) then the whims of a few dozen fans isn't going to inform his decision.
I think you are underestimating the the number of Rhody fans who silently participate in this community. Conservatively, that number over the past week was ~2000. Closer to 5000 fans check in at least once a month.

Obviously, many of these fans live outside the region and aren't going to be attending games, but generally speaking the attendance is way down not due to COVID, but rather due to team performance.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

In my 20 years+ of season tickets I have never voluntarily missed a game…until this year
I have also never said “wow this team is so unlikeable” until this year.

When I had no interest in attending the AIC game I thought maybe it’s because it’s a glorified exhibition. When the St Joe’s game came up next not one of the 4 of us had any interest in going. I have never ever felt that way and have been a Rhody fan since birth.

Even in the darkest of dark Jerry D days I went to every game. Same for Baron through to the end. Because there was always at least one person on the team we could root for. It is so hard this year there is almost nothing positive to latch on to.

After they won at UMASS we said ok let’s try again and took extended family to LaSalle. Ugh.

To wipe away the stink of that game I took my niece and nephew to the women’s game Sunday. My 8 year old niece said to me mid game about Coach Reiss “I like how excited she gets…not like the coach in yesterday’s game”. Out of the mouths of babes…

We were on the fence about going tonight but have decided to go. But the fact that it’s a discussion every single game has made me reconsider my donation. URI is lucky I made one end of Dec before that apathy took over because it will not be automatic for the next one, and certainly not at the same level as today.

And it’s not even that they lost, because I can take a loss, I went to all games in the <10 win seasons. It’s the lack of discipline - to watch one of your star players sit in the middle of the court like a baby after he doesn’t get a call, and then doesn’t get up despite the fact there is a play still happening all around him. That goes beyond just bitching to the refs. I am incredulous that he was not immediately removed from the game and benched - you either don’t care or have no control and both are unforgivable.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I don't think Thorr needs a boycott from 20-30 fans to signal that things aren't where they once were. It's quite clear the enthusiasm and energy around the program has waned. The attendance has dipped. The losses have piled up. The program building recruits aren't coming in. If you trust the guy knows what he's doing (which I do) then the whims of a few dozen fans isn't going to inform his decision.
I think you are underestimating the the number of Rhody fans who silently participate in this community. Conservatively, that number over the past week was ~2000. Closer to 5000 fans check in at least once a month.

Obviously, many of these fans live outside the region and aren't going to be attending games, but generally speaking the attendance is way down not due to COVID, but rather due to team performance.
I agree with attendance being down due to performance and lack of excitement/interest from both the hard core and general fans. I also think there is some loss due to Covid and/or mask mandates. I wonder if there is any tracking of attendance in places that require mask mandates vs those that don't ? I'm also pleasantly surprised of the size of the viewing community of KB!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Awesome post, Rhodygirl2!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Covid is not helping. Everyone knows there's those that won't go because of the rules, but I know several that aren't going just because of the Crona...the mediocre play is certainly not helping. That last loss must be like a little gut punch to the bean counters at the Ry. Like they probably knew, instantly, "500 (700? 1000?) less people in the building next game...." whenever stuff like that happens.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodygirl2 wrote: 2 years ago In my 20 years+ of season tickets I have never voluntarily missed a game…until this year
I have also never said “wow this team is so unlikeable” until this year.

When I had no interest in attending the AIC game I thought maybe it’s because it’s a glorified exhibition. When the St Joe’s game came up next not one of the 4 of us had any interest in going. I have never ever felt that way and have been a Rhody fan since birth.

Even in the darkest of dark Jerry D days I went to every game. Same for Baron through to the end. Because there was always at least one person on the team we could root for. It is so hard this year there is almost nothing positive to latch on to.

After they won at UMASS we said ok let’s try again and took extended family to LaSalle. Ugh.

To wipe away the stink of that game I took my niece and nephew to the women’s game Sunday. My 8 year old niece said to me mid game about Coach Reiss “I like how excited she gets…not like the coach in yesterday’s game”. Out of the mouths of babes…

We were on the fence about going tonight but have decided to go. But the fact that it’s a discussion every single game has made me reconsider my donation. URI is lucky I made one end of Dec before that apathy took over because it will not be automatic for the next one, and certainly not at the same level as today.

And it’s not even that they lost, because I can take a loss, I went to all games in the <10 win seasons. It’s the lack of discipline - to watch one of your star players sit in the middle of the court like a baby after he doesn’t get a call, and then doesn’t get up despite the fact there is a play still happening all around him. That goes beyond just bitching to the refs. I am incredulous that he was not immediately removed from the game and benched - you either don’t care or have no control and both are unforgivable.
……..Open Letter to Thorr……..well stated, thank you…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

My 8 year old niece said to me mid game about Coach Reiss “I like how excited she gets…not like the coach in yesterday’s game”.

Your niece should have Thorr's job, rhodygirl2!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rhodygirl2, you need to send that post to Thorr's email.

Very well said.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I hope the retirees who did go tonight put some boos down.

Give to Rhody's NIL
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

For the first year EVER, it's sad to say, but I have no desire to go to the games. I've never felt like that. Even when Baron was coach. It's just tough to watch.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The Dude wrote: 2 years ago For the first year EVER, it's sad to say, but I have no desire to go to the games. I've never felt like that. Even when Baron was coach. It's just tough to watch.
Yup. I think the fan base is fatigued from hearing the same rigmarole for the past few seasons.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I miss going to the games, but starting to miss it less
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

If cox got his walking papers today I would go to the next game. Mask or no mask.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Three snippets stand out to me. In crunch time, on an inbounds, we have a "defender" totally out of position and gets blown by for a flush. Then a double dribble against the press. Then an ill-advised, early in the possession three. I felt like I was watching a bad HS team.

I get excited whenever I see RI is going to be televised; I DVR the games if I have a conflict. This is the FIRST time I turned the television off prior to the end of the game. I'm not sure if I can watch anymore this season....
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I miss going to the games, but starting to miss it less
Question: not starting a discussion here, just want a yes or no answer. If Pitino was the coach and we were 17-1 and beer was allowed in the seats and masks were required, would you go?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Yup.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I miss going to the games, but starting to miss it less
Question: not starting a discussion here, just want a yes or no answer. If Pitino was the coach and we were 17-1 and beer was allowed in the seats and masks were required, would you go?

Absolutely yes and I’m not a fan of beer so don’t need it. But I do like RISE
Last edited by Taylor Swift 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..yeper……..Yes…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

No. Pitino would be great, I'm sure beers in seats is great but I'd be at the games through even this stink fest without either of those if not for the mask requirement...
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Last night I had a work event so I wasn't able to watch on tv live. In the past I would have been disappointed b/c I couldn't watch live and would have my phone out to check the score every few mins. Last night, at around 7:30 I checked the score at it was 33-18 and knew it wouldn't last. 39-26 at halftime. I next checked the score about 45 mins later to see it at 59-51 (don't remember the time remaining), and then a while later 63-62 Richmond and I knew it was over. A 19-3 run to end the game. I'm neither mad nor surprised. Just accepting this as a matter of fact of when, not if another double digit lead will get blown.

I don't expect that on Friday. Dayton is better than us and if it is close I expect Dayton to pull away late to win by 12 after leading most of the game by 4 to 6 points. Against other teams I do expect leads to evaporate because we simply don't know how to put teams away.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
No. Pitino would be great, I'm sure beers in seats is great but I'd be at the games through even this stink fest without either of those if not for the mask requirement...
This response surprised me, to be honest.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Pretty simple...I love college hoops and I hate wearing a mask... And I don't believe I'm alone.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Pretty simple...I love college hoops and I hate wearing a mask... And I don't believe I'm alone.
I’m with you, but id have just worn it around my neck like everyone else.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not wanting to wear a mask as an excuse doesn't fly anymore. Just say don't want to go because we stink.

Masks are on the chin, or even completely off, by many people at seats.
Go Rhody
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

URIFIJI wrote: 2 years ago I am going to every game that I can attend . That does not mean - I dont think they need to make a move on Cox. I will support Rhody at all times. The experiment or trial period is over. I agree - that loss (and i was there for both that game and the Lasalle game) and the Lasalle win were pathetic. Our game plan and execution stink. The cry baby attitude about calls on EVERY play has to stop. Thorr will do whats right.

GO RHODY
F - Shitty Jim
Ahhh the Shitty Jim reference. Love it!!! Get out of my way arggh what you looking at. For those of us from the 80's Shitty Jim is a Legend at URI! if he was AD Cox would already be gone. HAHAHA
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not wanting to wear a mask as an excuse doesn't fly anymore. Just say don't want to go because we stink.

Then clearly you don't know me. I live a mile from the RC and there is NOTHING I'd rather do than pop out around the corner and watch the D1 hoops team where my kids went to school. Doesn't matter how bad they suck, I'd be there. I even texted a friend during one of the recent debacles that, despite the suckitry, if they dropped the mask requirement during the game, I'd be there in minutes (he agreed he would be, too).

As much as I hate wearing a mask, if I want to go someplace that has a requirement, I follow it, or I don't go. As great as it sounds to have "masks on the chin, or completely off"....you KNOW there's at least one person looking at you and frowning (under their mask, of course) about "why that a hole can't just wear a mask like the effing rules say."

Blueman, you talk about fans that "aren't helping" by attending games. I get it, i'm probly in that group. I know it's not a parallel, but I kinda think people going to venues/games and flaunting the mask rules...also "doesn't help"...I think it just creates unnecessary animosity, whether realized or not and I don't want to be a part of that. So, I choose to stay home until the rules change.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Then clearly you don't know me. I live a mile from the RC and there is NOTHING I'd rather do than pop out around the corner and watch the D1 hoops team where my kids went to school. Doesn't matter how bad they suck, I'd be there. I even texted a friend during one of the recent debacles that, despite the suckitry, if they dropped the mask requirement during the game, I'd be there in minutes (he agreed he would be, too).

As much as I hate wearing a mask, if I want to go someplace that has a requirement, I follow it, or I don't go. As great as it sounds to have "masks on the chin, or completely off"....you KNOW there's at least one person looking at you and frowning (under their mask, of course) about "why that a hole can't just wear a mask like the effing rules say."

Blueman, you talk about fans that "aren't helping" by attending games. I get it, i'm probly in that group. I know it's not a parallel, but I kinda think people going to venues/games and flaunting the mask rules...also "doesn't help"...I think it just creates unnecessary animosity, whether realized or not and I don't want to be a part of that. So, I choose to stay home until the rules change.
100% fair. I agree no one should support any place that enforces that. I just flat ignore them and figure if enough people followed suit this would be over.

But I respect your commitment. If more people held that mindset this would’ve been over with a year ago.

As with everything though, I make a lot of exceptions for Rhody hoops.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

100% fair. I agree no one should support any place that enforces that. I just flat ignore them and figure if enough people followed suit this would be over.

But I respect your commitment. If more people held that mindset this would’ve been over with a year ago.

As with everything though, I make a lot of exceptions for Rhody hoops.
fwiw 2NYGFan_Section208,
I was not surprised at all with your response :D