1/8 | Davidson | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/8 | Davidson | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Well, I'm wrong.
Went back to page 60 and found thread on Davidson addition 7 years ago.
More than 1 for sure were down on the Davidson addition. Kinda fun to Read the comments and see the posters who made them. Fun in this world of Covid I suppose (oops not supposed to say that - not the C-thread)

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?p=1 ... 10#p143179

All you had to do was go back to the Loyola thread and read your own post know you were wrong in your above post in this thread.
This is peak internet. R15 even brought the receipts.
FR15
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Game certainly looks like a couple of teams who haven’t played a lot of basketball lately. Lots of stiff plays and tight fouls
Hmm, I feel like someone said that earlier??
I thought a poster said that Davidson had played a lot more than URI?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago What shouldn’t go unsaid is that Bassy had an impactful few minutes. Had a nice finishing move in the paint, a steal and nice assist on the break. His unexpected performance has been a bright spot.
Agree. I thought Thomas looked solid in his 9 minutes. Hit a nice shot, nice assist, great steal. The steal came with 6:53 left in the game and he stole from Foster Loyer. Instead of taking the shot himself, Thomas very unselfishly dished off to Malik Martin for an easy layup putting URI up 62-55.

I think Thomas needs to see more than 9 minutes. He now had 23 assists, only 9 TO's, 6 steals and 2 blocks in 13 minutes per game

Need more Thomas.

Assist totals for the team: Total Assists/Player/MPG
36 - Sheppard - 29
28 - Leggett - 27
23 - Thomas - 13
22 - Makhel Mitchell - 27
18 - Walker - 21
17 - El-Amin - 24
16 - Makhi Mitchell - 23
16 - Martin - 26
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Makes a lot more sense that it was Makhel with the T since at least he was on the court. Still doesn't change too much, just a horrible time to get T'd up.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Damning.
Really good stats you found and your right how can our most efficient player on the team be 7th most in minutes ??

Getting a technical in that situation is uncalled for and their needs to be some discipline and Cox probably won’t do anything

Pretty sure Cox will be gone end of season barring some miraculous turnaround
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The good:
  • Our defense of the 3P line was excellent holding Davidson to only 6-24 for only 24% - worst 3FG shooting for Davidson in all 14 games to date. Davidson was 42.7% 3FG through 1st 13 games. We held Loyer (2-7) and Lee (2-6) to a combined 4-13.
  • We played Davidson down to the wire on the road, being 8 point underdogs, had 2 players recovered from recent Covid, had played fewer games recently than Davidson, Davidson had a 10 game win streak and Davidson has the best NET by far of any of the A10 teams
  • Kept turnovers to a respectable 12 compared to Davidson with 10 TOs
  • Makhel Mitchell played 36 minutes, 4 fouls, team high 19 points on 7-12 FG, 5-6 FTs
  • Antwan Walker with a strong 26 minutes, 13 points on 5-6 FG, 3-3 on 3FGs, 4 rebounds and an impressive game high 5 assists tying Foster Loyer
  • Showed themselves and Davidson that they can play with the very best of the A10 this season
Opportunities to improve:
  • Rebounding was exactly the same for both teams (7 offensive/20 defensive) but with our height and length we should outbound a team like Davidson. We must improve on boxing out on the offensive glass
  • Only 2 blocked shots
  • Thomas needs to play more. He makes positive things happen on defense, leadership and especially passing as he sees the floor very well
  • Improve on basketball IQ. Don't argue so many referee calls as players - let the coach handle
  • Use this game as a base to build confidence from. Winning the A10 is the goal to build towards with each game
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago My wife was on her way home from New Orleans and had a layover in Charlotte. Coincidentally was on the same flight as the URI basketball team flying home into Boston (why weren’t they flying into providence??). She said one of the twins (no idea which one) was causing a massive scene about switching seats due to legroom and was incredibly disrespectful to the flight attendants.
I find it hard to believe that you have a wife.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago You can choose to believe this or not.

My wife was on her way home from New Orleans and had a layover in Charlotte. Coincidentally was on the same flight as the URI basketball team flying home into Boston (why weren’t they flying into providence??). She said one of the twins (no idea which one) was causing a massive scene about switching seats due to legroom and was incredibly disrespectful to the flight attendants.

Again, couldn’t care less if you trust that or not. But 100% fact.
Remember when Hurley left because URI doesn’t commit to winning?

Flying commercial is a small time move. Sad.

Where did the NCAA money go? Where are our big donors?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Guess I made the right call to DVR this inevitable loss. We never seem to win after leading Davidson. They didn't win this game - we lost it. No field goals in last 6 minutes? Technical foul from the bench? No Walker at crunch time? Cox doesn't exactly inspire confidence when the game's on the line.
I did the same thing. I was out sleeping with my kids and when I got in the car and turned on the radio URI was up 5 with under 7 minutes left or something like that. I looked at my wife and said no doubt they will lose this game and sure enough they did. As you mentioned Cox provides no confidence. What also might have happened was URI wins this game and than loses a couple to bad teams after they rope everyone back in. Thorr was waiting with the extension for Cox if they won.
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Catfish wrote: 2 years ago Davidson fan here. I just had to sign on to set the record straight. The T was on Makhel Mitchell, not Makhi, and Makhel was on the court. You can check either the official box score on the Davidson Basketball page or the play-by-play on the ESPN web site.

The word from fans at the game is that he dropped a string of F bombs.
I also thought it was on Makhel. He was standing near the ref on the far side of the court, then went bat-shit before anyone else. Wa surprised when reading it was Makhi.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Native wrote: 2 years ago
PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago My wife was on her way home from New Orleans and had a layover in Charlotte. Coincidentally was on the same flight as the URI basketball team flying home into Boston (why weren’t they flying into providence??). She said one of the twins (no idea which one) was causing a massive scene about switching seats due to legroom and was incredibly disrespectful to the flight attendants.
I find it hard to believe that you have a wife.
Ouch
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I thought I was watching Kentucky versus West Texas State.
It was PC St John’s... Dude, your team is having a great season. You’re this bored that you still need to troll on a mid-level A10 teams message board?? I still think your boy Cooley blows it in the NCAA tournament, though.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

You missed the reference stevie.
Google Kentucky v West Texas NCAA tournament.
Then look at the rosters of Rhody and Davidson.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

After a night of rest, I’m not even upset about the loss. We shouldn’t have beaten that team.

Why I’m upset is the simple mistakes Cox continues to make. We have three people in the world that would continue to play Walker the minutes he’s played this season. 1. David Cox 2. DC Rams 3. TJ Rams. Oh, I mean two people…

It’s been said a million times, but Walker should be our top option on the offensive end. If he’s not scoring, he’s putting our guys in significant positions to score. What scares me the most is the attitude of this team. We seem to have some punks on this roster. People say Dan would kill it with these guys, but I don’t even think he’d bring in players like this. Heart and IQ matter. Talent alone does not win basketball games.

Thorr has to know most fans are ready to move on. Time for him to make a big decision and give us a chance to win championships and bids if that truly is the bar
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago You missed the reference stevie.
No I know. I’m implying he was only watching PC yesterday…Rhody72 doesn’t watch URI he’s a PC troll.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Every time the Mitchells dunk the ball I’m waiting for a tech. They dunk like it’s the first time they’ve ever done it and hang on the rim and jaw almost every time. Its a tired act.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yup. That is when they aren’t going up with a weak layup that gets blocked. I’d like to see them dunk on someone in traffic with contact like Hass would.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Does Thorr actually see what’s happening though?
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Every time the Mitchells dunk the ball I’m waiting for a tech. They dunk like it’s the first time they’ve ever done it and hang on the rim and jaw almost every time. Its a tired act.
As I said before if Cox is gone at season end, you won't have to deal with them anymore.
Look we knew exactly what we were getting when they committed here, shouldn't be a shock.
Almost everyone here seemed to be onboard with that, at the time.
Sometimes you take the good with the baggage that may come along with it.

Yes, last night was a lost opportunity and it is very disturbing.
But after thinking about it, Davidson has been on a great roll now winning 11 in a row.
Which included beating a top 10 Alabama team at their home, who easily beat Gonzaga in Seattle.

Before we jump to any quick conclusions let's see how the rest of the season plays out.
I am not as sure as some of you that Thorr will be so quick to pull the trigger on Cox at season end.
What many of the fans now want versus what actually happens may be totally different.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Does Thorr actually see what’s happening though?
…….as the AD, he has to see it, whether the AD is a football guy or tennis guy…….the question is what is he going to do about it…….?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

We have a team that lacks poise and maturity. It also shows no grit when the going gets to crunch time. That happens with you lack confidence. that all traces back to the coach, the robotic David Cox.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….bingo
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Every time the Mitchells dunk the ball I'm waiting for a tech. They dunk like it's the first time they've ever done it and hang on the rim and jaw almost every time. Its a tired act.
As I said before if Cox is gone at season end, you won't have to deal with them anymore.
Look we knew exactly what we were getting when they committed here, shouldn't be a shock.

But after thinking about it, Davidson has been on a great roll now winning 11 in a row.
Which included beating a top 10 Alabama team at their home, who easily beat Gonzaga in Seattle.

Before we jump to any quick conclusions let's see how the rest of the season plays out.
I am not as sure as some of you that Thorr will be so quick to pull the trigger on Cox at season end.
What many of the fans now want versus what actually happens may be totally different.
It's one thing to lose to a better team Jersey. It's another when your coach again makes a brutal mistake that will likely cost our game.

1. Having no grasp on the flow of the game with Walker is unacceptable. This won't be the last time...
2. That technical foul by Makhi is a sign of the culture of our program...Like Fatts, we have a few players who seem to think they can do whatever they want whenever they want. They can shoot bad shots. They can bitch and moan on and off the court. They can get countless techs.. Players continue to start over Walker even though he's better on the court, and more importantly, he isn't a huge punk costing us pts with dumb technical fouls. Our leader and the best player getting the 7th most minutes on the team is a fireable offense.

If you go back with about 8 minutes left in the game, I said, win or lose, Cox coached a great game. All he had to do was not make horrible decisions late, and I would have stuck with what I said. But, instead, we all know what happened.

If the goal is championships and bids, will Thorr continue to be ok with us being mediocre? Disinterested fanbase? Idk why the hell he would want that.. I already know a bunch of fans that have already given up. Another year with no-bid, and you'll see plenty more.

Being this mediocre A10 team sucks..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Every time the Mitchells dunk the ball I'm waiting for a tech. They dunk like it's the first time they've ever done it and hang on the rim and jaw almost every time. Its a tired act.

It's one thing to lose to a better team Jersey. It's another when your coach again makes a brutal mistake that will likely cost our game.

1. Having no grasp on the flow of the game with Walker is unacceptable. This won't be the last time...
2. That technical foul by Makhi is a sign of the culture of our program...Like Fatts, we have a few players who seem to think they can do whatever they want whenever they want. They can shoot bad shots. They can bitch and moan on and off the court. They can get countless techs.. Players continue to start over Walker even though he's better on the court, and more importantly, he isn't a huge punk costing us pts with dumb technical fouls. Our leader and the best player getting the 7th most minutes on the team is a fireable offense.

If you go back with about 8 minutes left in the game, I said, win or lose, Cox coached a great game. All he had to do was not make horrible decisions late, and I would have stuck with what I said. But, instead, we all know what happened.

If the goal is championships and bids, will Thorr continue to be ok with us being mediocre? Disinterested fanbase? Idk why the hell he would want that.. I already know a bunch of fans that have already given up. Another year with no-bid, and you'll see plenty more.

It was not on Makhi who was on the bench.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am not disagreeing with you Stevey, and yes, I have been very critical of some of Cox's decisions as you know.
Especially the way he has handled Walker, who is one my favorite players.

Makhel made a huge mistake, I am sure it was addressed with him after the game.

I never predicted this will be our season to make the NCAAT but do expect a dramatic improvement.
Time will tell.

I still think if our core remains intact (aside from Shep and EA), next season will be our best opportunity.

Again, as I keep saying Thorr will make what he feels is the best decision for this program going forward.
Which includes our fastest path to the NCAAT.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Entire Davidson URI game thread is an interesting read........

Davidson fan in front row behind the basket at the URI Bench end of the court observes on the defensive intensity and the intensity of David Cox

Post by bagelcat » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:12 am
Very good summation by GoCats, Stan and the estimable Dr. Bliss. There may have others, but I started on Page 10.

When the students are gone I like to sit in the first row behind the basket. You get a view of the physicality of the game. And the game WAS physical from the jump. URI wasn't conceding anything, they played with defensive intensity (their coach was intense too, I was afraid I might witness a cardiac event). We got hit on several early drives to the basket, esp. Des and MJ, where fouls weren't called. Not necessarily complaining, but you had to finish through contact in this game.

The early offensive foul on Nelson was bizarre given all that was happening.

Des did some good things out there, some nice drives where he didn't quite finish or had his shot blocked. Don't get discouraged young man, keep taking it to the hole. I think he did score on one drive if memory serves, as it often does not.

It just didn't look like our day after the fouls on Sam and Luka *2d and 3d fouls within seconds* early in the 2d half, and then we get down 7, I think. And it didn't look good when we seemingly couldn't make a shot to tie the game. And late when Sam missed a corner 3 late in the clock I didn't think we were winning. But the team dug deeper than I did, and it says a lot that they were able to win this game.

I've been tough on Luka at times. He has really played well for us, has shown continuing improvement throughout his tenure, and he made critical plays at the end. Great to see.
Foster is smart and tough as nails. He inspires confidence and I think his arrival explains a lot about this team and how we could win a game that maybe we "shouldn't" have won.
The MJ shot at the end was epic. Reminded me of the Jon Axel drive to beat URI in the last seconds about 4 years ago. I asked him in the Brickhouse parking lot how he got that shot off and he just said "I don't know"...
Lee's defense is noticeably improving and he made a great vertical challenge on their last drive to the basket immediately before MJ's two handed block.
Nelson was a force on defense, as he often has been.

Couple of other things: Not a sizeable crowd, but a good crowd. They made noise. Great job, D Block.

In the lobby at the end of game I talked to group of about ten young people who assumed were of Korean ancestry. I asked them if they'd come from Charlotte to watch Lee. They told me they'd driven up from Atlanta, they were graduates of Ga. Tech and Emory from what I could gather. I think that's pretty cool-maybe worthy of a story in the Disturber if they bothered to send anyone to the game.

So it was hard not to feel great after that one. One of the best games I've seen at Belk and a fantabulous day to be a Wildcat.
Last edited by bagelcat on Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by i77cat » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:17 am
The URI fans didn't enjoy his presence, but it was wonderful to have Will Thoni back in the house. All of the D-Block alumni were loud, obnoxious, and in varying levels of sober, but Thoni stood out. Did it make a difference in the outcome of the game? Maybe. I think D-Block got in the heads of the Mitchells. Maybe that's not all that hard to do, but I think our fans helped earn that T. And the W.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

More from Davidson Board....

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:35 pm

This game had tournament intensity--and I mean NCAA tournament intensity. From the get-go, URI was intent on out-physicaling us. To our credit, there was no back-down from our guys at all. We have some tough, gritty, badass players.

That MJ floater late...wow. One of the greatest shots I've seen in a high pressure situation in all my years of watching Davidson basketball.

We do struggle when we are in certain lineups. When only two players out of five are legitimate threats to score, we struggle. In this situation, we often clang a three, which often leads to a long rebound and a run-out on the other end. We don't stay in those lineups long.

Hey, we just won a game in which we shot 25% from three. That's really huge.

We shot 78% from the line--which included a couple of uncharacteristic misses by Lee. The two that Luka made late were huge. And of course, Foster's to seal the game. Boy, where would we be without him this year?

Sure wish I could watch a replay. It was fun to be there. I'm sure the URI guys are pretty gutted--they played well enough to win.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Just to pour some gas on the fire…we had 5 assisted baskets in the 2nd half; Antwan Walker assisted on 4 of them. Bassy the other. I dare you to look at the play by play from the 6:30 mark when he took out Twan and look at the few minutes before and after that substitution. He put him back in at 2 min mark but by that point our lead was gone and we were about to be trailing.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

It doesn't really matter who it was on... We got another stupid tech and this time it was during a huge moment where we could pick up our best win of the year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I am not disagreeing with you Stevey, and yes, I have been very critical of some of Cox's decisions as you know.

I never predicted this will be our season to make the NCAAT but do expect a dramatic improvement.
Time will tell.

I still think if our core remains intact (aside from Shep and EA), next season will be our best opportunity.

Again, as I keep saying Thorr will make what he feels is the best decision for this program going forward.
It doesn't matter who we have on our roster if the coach does a poor job of managing rotations and allows guys to play 1 on 1 Baron ball... Next year's roster won't be much different than what we have now. Nothing will change unless we get a better coach.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I never predicted this will be our season to make the NCAAT but do expect a dramatic improvement.
Time will tell.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I am curious to hear what it is that gives you faith that next season will be our best opportunity to make the tournament? Assuming Shep and El-Amin are the only departures, we'll be losing two starters with no immediate help coming in (as of now). How does that equate to suddenly becoming a tournament level team? I so badly want to believe but I am struggling to see it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It doesn't really matter who it was on... We got another stupid tech and this time it was during a huge moment where we could pick up our best win of the year.
Really? Doesn't matter? It certainly does matter to be accurate.

Want me to go find all the quotes that were specifically critical of Makhi in just this thread?

All the comments that said how a Tech should never be called on the bench and attributed that to David Cox lack of management?

WPRI and the TV Announcers got it wrong.

It was on Makhel who was upset that no call was made on Leggett getting mugged with no call.

Leggett also got mugged on a breakaway off a missed Davidson 3P and no call on that one either.

Even go to the Davidson board and they talk about how bad the officiating was in the game.

Makhel got a tech. Big deal.Fighting for his teammate who clearly got fouled.

We played the best team in the Atlantic 10 on the road after not playing a D1 game in a month.

We need to win the A10 Tournament to get an NCAA Bid.......and this game showed out players, our coaches and the Davidson players and Davidson coaches that we are a team that can be in contention for that Auto Bid.

If the Tech on Mahkel gets our team fired up for future games and for the A10 Tournament and for a future rematch with Davidson so be it.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ramster, if the techs weren’t part of a pattern of behavior I maybe could get behind what you’re selling. But how many techs do the Twins have this season? Honest question. Leggett didn’t even get a tech and he was the one who should be the most upset if he did indeed get fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Time will tell.

It doesn't matter who we have on our roster if the coach does a poor job of managing rotations and allows guys to play 1 on 1 Baron ball... Next year's roster won't be much different than what we have now. Nothing will change unless we get a better coach.
Well yeah, it is all about the coach and not going to give Cox a pass.
Sometimes talent can overcome certain deficiencies, we will see.

I just don't think Thorr has made up his mind regarding Cox yet.
If he did, last season would have been his perfect opportunity after going 10-15 and finishing 10th/11th in the A10.
It is still a little too early to determine what will happen. IMO
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Ramster, if the techs weren’t part of a pattern of behavior I maybe could get behind what you’re selling. But how many techs do the Twins have this season? Honest question. Leggett didn’t even get a tech and he was the one who should be the most upset if he did indeed get fouled.
I found the replay.
Watch Leggett drive to the hoop. Leggett actually pushed off of #13 Jones that could have been called as Leggett started his move to the hoop.
After Leggett beats Jones to the hoop, #1 Lee moves in under the hoop and clearly fouls Leggett with his body - not any doubt at all. Foul was missed on Lee. Leggett makes that shot if Lee doesn't foul him with his body. There was no block by Lee just the body foul. Then Leggett gets the rebound and maybe fouled but for sure Lee fouled Leggett with no call beforehand. URI bench knew it as it was right in from to them to see.

If Makhel doesn't get the Tech then Cox would have gotten a Tech. Cox was livid as he well should have been. Ref called it on Makhel first but Cox was next.

I'm not going to blame this Technical Foul on Makhel or Leggett or Cox. Just as bad no call by the Ref. Based on the Davidson message board, the Refs had a rough afternoon all around.

Time to learn from this and move on. Solid performance by URI playing the top A10 team on the road without a D1 game in a month.

Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I never predicted this will be our season to make the NCAAT but do expect a dramatic improvement.
Time will tell.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I am curious to hear what it is that gives you faith that next season will be our best opportunity to make the tournament? Assuming Shep and El-Amin are the only departures, we'll be losing two starters with no immediate help coming in (as of now). How does that equate to suddenly becoming a tournament level team? I so badly want to believe but I am struggling to see it.
Not sure El-Amin will be a big loss…
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago You missed the reference stevie.
stevie misses a lot of things.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Time will tell.

Adam, of course much can still happen with rosters at this point, but I like our potential lineup.
Bassy - At PG with a year under his belt.
Ish- CG who should continue to improve,
AB/Martin - AB can score but might take him awhile to adjust, Martin dependable glue guy.
Walker/Mitchells- Can handle the paint and Walker can also stretch it.
Chance - Can be the sniper we need.
Carey - Jury still out on him,
Ileri/Samb/Tres - Still too early to tell.

The regular challengers will be Dayton, VCU, SLU, Davidson loses Luka, not sure on Loyola, or who returns for the Bonnies.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: Next year's roster, is Walker going to stick around another year? At least according to our own recruiting threads, he graduated high school in 2016. He's probably around 23 or 24 now, and that would be 24 or 25 next year. He seems like a prime candidate to be a Fatts-style graduate transfer, or to just start making pro money somewhere.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I wish everyone would save the excuses about not playing a Division 1 game in a month. We have a deep team and we can practice as hard as they want. This team needs to keep its head in the game. We were down but we were not out until the technical pretty much ended it. I'm glad they played hard but that really should be expected at this level.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

It was too bad Jones on Davidson made what I thought was a lucky shot in the lane at around 45 seconds left. We were up one at that point. Them's the breaks.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago I wish everyone would save the excuses about not playing a Division 1 game in a month. We have a deep team and we can practice as hard as they want. This team needs to keep its head in the game. We were down but we were not out until the technical pretty much ended it. I'm glad they played hard but that really should be expected at this level.
If it was rust, that shows up at the beginning, right?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Like said earlier, it’s unfortunate bc up to the final 6-7 minutes we had played great. Cox use of the 3/4 court press did a good job of disrupting their offense all game. Our live ball defense was good. We weren’t fouling too much. Didn’t turn it over excessively, shot it well. Everything you need to do to win.

And then we stunk for 6 minutes and lost. Jones hits that tough shot. Brajkovic gets a big offensive rebound vs Makhel and gets fouled. Cox also called a head scratching TO at the 6 minute mark when we were playing fine and left himself 1 for the rest of the game. Good 33 minutes of coaching, real bad 7 minutes.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago re: Next year's roster, is Walker going to stick around another year? At least according to our own recruiting threads, he graduated high school in 2016. He's probably around 23 or 24 now, and that would be 24 or 25 next year. He seems like a prime candidate to be a Fatts-style graduate transfer, or to just start making pro money somewhere.
Wow the 7 year plan for Twan possibly
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago re: Next year's roster, is Walker going to stick around another year? At least according to our own recruiting threads, he graduated high school in 2016. He's probably around 23 or 24 now, and that would be 24 or 25 next year. He seems like a prime candidate to be a Fatts-style graduate transfer, or to just start making pro money somewhere.
Wow the 7 year plan for Twan possibly
Dr. Walker, I presume?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago I wish everyone would save the excuses about not playing a Division 1 game in a month. We have a deep team and we can practice as hard as they want. This team needs to keep its head in the game. We were down but we were not out until the technical pretty much ended it. I'm glad they played hard but that really should be expected at this level.
I only used it because so many used it before the game.
This game enhanced my hopes that URI can win the A10 AUTO bid - our only chance for a bid.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Game 1 of 18 conference games plus tournament
Lot of season to go

Can next years roster composition go in its own thread? Davidson game thread discussion will only result in losing the next year roster discussion.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Like said earlier, it’s unfortunate bc up to the final 6-7 minutes we had played great. Cox use of the 3/4 court press did a good job of disrupting their offense all game. Our live ball defense was good. We weren’t fouling too much. Didn’t turn it over excessively, shot it well. Everything you need to do to win.

And then we stunk for 6 minutes and lost. Jones hits that tough shot. Brajkovic gets a big offensive rebound vs Makhel and gets fouled. Cox also called a head scratching TO at the 6 minute mark when we were playing fine and left himself 1 for the rest of the game. Good 33 minutes of coaching, real bad 7 minutes.
That shot by Jones was pretty amazing and very clutch.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Like said earlier, it’s unfortunate bc up to the final 6-7 minutes we had played great. Cox use of the 3/4 court press did a good job of disrupting their offense all game. Our live ball defense was good. We weren’t fouling too much. Didn’t turn it over excessively, shot it well. Everything you need to do to win.

That shot by Jones was pretty amazing and very clutch.
He got it off just early enough to avoid Makhel.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years ago
Time will tell.

Not sure El-Amin will be a big loss…
El Amin is on the team?

He’s been invisible
90% of the time he’s been on the floor.

Not saying he’s been bad, he just needs to be way more aggressive. His %’s are good across the board.
Go Rhody