1/5 | George Mason | (POSTPONED)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/5 | George Mason | (POSTPONED)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs George Mason University
EagleBank Arena, Fairfax, VA
Wednesday, January 5, 2022
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
George Mason Fan Forum

Once again, not bothering with an in-depth write-up since who knows if this game will be played. In theory URI will open up A-10 play on the road against George Mason this Wednesday. The Patriots are lead by Junior forward Josh Oduro who is averaging 17 & 6.5. Along with Oduro, three other players score the majority of the team's points, including 2 tall guards in D’Shawn Schwartz & Davonte Gaines, bot at 6'7". Gaines is sneaky good three point shooter, shooting over 50% for the season. URI has won 7 of the last 8 meetings, including 3-0 on the road during that time. Hopefully that trend will continue. My guess is George Mason will be favored by about 5. Hopefully Rhody can secure the victory, but I just don’t know if it will happen. My prediction, George Mason 71 – URI 67. Here’s hoping the Rams prove me wrong. Happy New Year & Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
7-6, 0-0 in the A-10
13-9, 8-6 in the A-10

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 103 (94)
RPI: 124 (56)
KenPom: 123 (73)
BPI: 83 (82)
Sagarin: 104 (92)

Leaders:
Points – Josh Oduro 17.0 (Jr., F)
Rebounds – Davonte Gomes 8.1 (Jr., G)
Assists – Xavier Johnson 4.3 (Jr., G) (2.2 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 7-4
H: 4-3, A: 3-1, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 1/16/21 80-60 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 34.9% Chance of URI Winning
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/5 | George Mason | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ace »

KenPom has this as a Rhody win, 66-65
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

6’7” Guard Devonte Gaines led GMU vs Kansas with 15 points and 12 rebounds including 3-6 3FG.

Gaines transferred in from Tennessee following Kim English who was an assistant coach at Tennessee.

Gaines played 2 years at Tennessee.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Who was the player that George Mason lost right before the season started? He went pro or something?
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Who was the player that George Mason lost right before the season started? He went pro or something?
They lost Jordan Miller, but that was back in April. 2nd team all A10 guard to Miami, also Tyler Kolek to Marquette
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Who was the player that George Mason lost right before the season started? He went pro or something?
Ace, do you mean 2021 signed recruit Mouhammed Mbaye (PF 6'9'') who changed his mind and decided not to enroll?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Ace, do you mean 2021 signed recruit Mouhammed Mbaye (PF 6'9'') who changed his mind and decided not to enroll?
Yes! That’s exactly who I meant, thanks. I see now that he made the decision in the summer. I was thinking it was a bit later than that.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Yes! That’s exactly who I meant, thanks. I see now that he made the decision in the summer. I was thinking it was a bit later than that.
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

They also lost the kid who plays for Marquette now - Tyler Kolek
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ESPN’s matchup predictor gives Rhody just a 35% chance of winning this. Are we the team in Year 1 or Year 4?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am impressed with what English has done with this team.
I originally thought with all their departures and the staff change , they wouldn't be that competitive.
He quickly put together a nice roster with the transfers and freshmen, plus things are looking up for his 22 class with 4* Fernandez.

I don't like the way we match up against them.
Oduro is solid up front and they have good length with their wings both 6'7".
Schwartz and Gaines will be hard to contain, they are athletic and can hit the 3PT.
Cooper at guard can also score it and has decent size at 6'4".

They have a positive assist/turnover ratio and can get at it defensively.

We will need a lot of good minutes out of Martin, even hope he starts.
Don't know Walker's status, but he would be very valuable in this game.
Not sure Makhi can keep up with either Gaines or Schwartz without getting into foul trouble.
Same can be said of Makhel against Oduro.

I expect this game to be hard fought going down to the wire.
We certainly haven't looked very good against much lesser competition.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Uri is going to have to step up its play if they want this game to even be competitive . turning the ball over 18 times against a mediocre D2 team
does not bode well . However , I would expect the team to concentrate more against better competition such as George Mason . they must cut down
their turnovers significantly to have chance to win . They have to dominate the boards , play intense defense and shoot free throws well . if they are
able to do all of those things they can win , but what are the odds that they will ? we haven't seen it so far.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I unfortunately do not see the team that lost at FGCU winning many A-10 road contests. I don't think this team will win more than three (if that) of nine possible conference road games. Best shots at wins will probably be Fordham, GW, and SJU.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

URIFIJI wrote: 2 years ago They also lost the kid who plays for Marquette now - Tyler Kolek
The kid from Cumberland that wanted to come here and we didn't recruit at all?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I am impressed with what English has done with this team.
I originally thought with all their departures and the staff change , they wouldn't be that competitive.
He quickly put together a nice roster with the transfers and freshmen, plus things are looking up for his 22 class with 4* Fernandez.

I don't like the way we match up against them.
Oduro is solid up front and they have good length with their wings both 6'7".
Schwartz and Gaines will be hard to contain, they are athletic and can hit the 3PT.
Cooper at guard can also score it and has decent size at 6'4".

They have a positive assist/turnover ratio and can get at it defensively.

We will need a lot of good minutes out of Martin, even hope he starts.
Don't know Walker's status, but he would be very valuable in this game.
Not sure Makhi can keep up with either Gaines or Schwartz without getting into foul trouble.
Same can be said of Makhel against Oduro.

I expect this game to be hard fought going down to the wire.
We certainly haven't looked very good against much lesser competition.
So if English could do that there, what could the right new coach do here....
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Game over folks, this is postponed. Not boding well to get any game in at this time. Maybe Thor can call up the AD at RIC or Salve to get a game in?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

“Can’t get fired if we don’t play.” - Cox, probably.
Go Rhody
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

this is getting ridiculous . might as well just scrap this season again . This is worse than last seasoon.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

GMU was short players for their Saturday game at Kansas due to Covid. Would think that more people in the program eventually tested positive given their close contact.

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Insert shocked face here ---> ______.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yes, it was Covid protocols in the Mason program. URI is looking to add a non-conference foe to schedule. In this case, URI has some flexibility because it can be an away game. So maybe we can get a P5 school to add the Rams at the last minute like Wisconsin did last season.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Yes, it was Covid protocols in the Mason program. URI is looking to add a non-conference foe to schedule. In this case, URI has some flexibility because it can be an away game. So maybe we can get a P5 school to add the Rams at the last minute like Wisconsin did last season.
There is probably even some financial incentive to pick up a guarantee game check to cover what was paid to AIC and bank the rest.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..JETS………just end the season…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Insert shocked face here ---> _ :lol: _____.
Ok
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Why are we looking for a non-conference game instead of looking to schedule with Saint Louis, Duquesne, or St. Bonaventure, who have all had mid-week games cancelled as well? Seems to me like we should be scheduled against one of those three teams to have the biggest A10 schedule possible. Like Saint Louis plays Duquesne and we play Saint Bonaventure for the easiest travel for all four schools. Done and done.

Honestly, on a higher level, I'm disgusted with the conference and I'm not sure what the Atlantic 10 brings to the table for us anymore. It's been trending toward a 1 big league for years now, the average school looks nothing like us and is only getting further away with the addition of Loyola Chicago, our only natural rival in conference is UMass and they would bolt the A10 in no time if they got the right offer, it shows no demand to get weak links like Fordham to step up their game, in good times it refuses to be innovative with the schedule to help top teams improve their NCAA resumes, and in bad times like now it shows an inability to be flexible to adapt to changing conditions.

If we're going to be in a one bid, dead end league, why not just join America East and be with schools like Albany, Maine, New Hampshire, Stony Brook, and Vermont? If we want to cause some waves, why not join with VCU and Richmond and move to the CAA? I understand there is a ceiling for us since we don't have FBS football, have no real avenue to moving up to it, and will never get an invite to the Big East, but the A10 is a complete and total disaster for us right now and really brings nothing to the table over a different conference. Like are we really just going to sit around in a now terrible conference, wait for the top schools to be poached, and hope to be the top dog in a Dollar Tree, one bid, knockoff version of the Big East?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Yes, it was Covid protocols in the Mason program. URI is looking to add a non-conference foe to schedule. In this case, URI has some flexibility because it can be an away game. So maybe we can get a P5 school to add the Rams at the last minute like Wisconsin did last season.
There is probably even some financial incentive to pick up a guarantee game check to cover what was paid to AIC and bank the rest.
At wake forest should be under consideration
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Why are we looking for a non-conference game instead of looking to schedule with Saint Louis, Duquesne, or St. Bonaventure, who have all had mid-week games cancelled as well? Seems to me like we should be scheduled against one of those three teams to have the biggest A10 schedule possible. Like Saint Louis plays Duquesne and we play Saint Bonaventure for the easiest travel for all four schools. Done and done.

Honestly, on a higher level, I'm disgusted with the conference and I'm not sure what the Atlantic 10 brings to the table for us anymore. It's been trending toward a 1 big league for years now, the average school looks nothing like us and is only getting further away with the addition of Loyola Chicago, our only natural rival in conference is UMass and they would bolt the A10 in no time if they got the right offer, it shows no demand to get weak links like Fordham to step up their game, in good times it refuses to be innovative with the schedule to help top teams improve their NCAA resumes, and in bad times like now it shows an inability to be flexible to adapt to changing conditions.

If we're going to be in a one bid, dead end league, why not just join America East and be with schools like Albany, Maine, New Hampshire, Stony Brook, and Vermont? If we want to cause some waves, why not join with VCU and Richmond and move to the CAA? I understand there is a ceiling for us since we don't have FBS football, have no real avenue to moving up to it, and will never get an invite to the Big East, but the A10 is a complete and total disaster for us right now and really brings nothing to the table over a different conference. Like are we really just going to sit around in a now terrible conference, wait for the top schools to be poached, and hope to be the top dog in a Dollar Tree, one bid, knockoff version of the Big East?

I’ll say it again- Fordham has stepped up their game. They will be better this year and Neptune will be a quality coach. I’d take Neptune in a nano second right now over Cox!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Why are we looking for a non-conference game instead of looking to schedule with Saint Louis, Duquesne, or St. Bonaventure, who have all had mid-week games cancelled as well? Seems to me like we should be scheduled against one of those three teams to have the biggest A10 schedule possible. Like Saint Louis plays Duquesne and we play Saint Bonaventure for the easiest travel for all four schools. Done and done.

Rhody leaving the A10 to join the CAA or America East, you can't be serious.
VCU and George Mason left the CAA for the A10.
We just added Loyola that would strengthen our conference and you claim the inability of the A10 to be flexible and adapt to changing conditions.
Your statement makes no sense especially thinking that this addition wasn't a positive move.
I wouldn't mind another addition like that.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Lol this forum has lost its mind.
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

It’s very head scratching that the A10 is just sitting on their hands and not fucking with the schedules on the fly and just letting teams sit idle. It makes no ducking sense. It has to be some shit where they are trying to keep the schedules with the original balance or something stupid
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Wake Forest is not a likely GMU replacement on 1/5 since they play a game tomorrow against Florida State.

Ironically Iona just had two games postponed this week against St. Peter's and Monmouth because of Covid protocols in those programs. Iona last played this past past Sunday, Jan. 2 and their next game is not until Jan. 11 against Fairfield. Iona has a hole in their OOC schedule because of the cancellation of their away game at Seton Hall so they were looking to fill that void. Only glitch with this idea is that both URI and Iona are looking maybe for a higher profile team and in an away game setting. if game was to be played it would not be in the season ticket holder base which means it would be an extra charge. In the case of URI, games not in the season ticket package do not draw well, but maybe the appearance of Rick Pitino at the Ryan Center would change that past experience.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Hofstra’s game with College of Charleston bas been ppd on Wednesday, not too long of a trip to go play there just an option imho
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI is a competitive A10 MBB program. Unfortunately, we are not better than that.
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: 1/5 | George Mason | (POSTPONED)

Unread post by PeteRI »

This is starting to feel like the Bruins season. We may end up playing one game every two days because of all the cancellations.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago This is starting to feel like the Bruins season. We may end up playing one game every two days because of all the cancellations.
………good thing we got depth………bench players will have to step into roles given more minutes…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What a clown post, saying we should DROP down to the America East.

The knowledge of some people here is absolutely amazing.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago What a clown post, saying we should DROP down to the America East.

Right?! No need to move to another conference to be in a 1 bid league.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago What a clown post, saying we should DROP down to the America East.

Okay, so now you are actually putting the A10 at the same level as the CAA and America East. Really!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Okay, so now you are actually putting the A10 at the same level as the CAA and America East. Really!!!
If one goes by what's posted on this board...doesn't seem like that much of a difference these days? A one bid conference is a one bid conference...are you saying there's big differences between one bid leagues?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

If one goes by what's posted on this board...doesn't seem like that much of a difference these days? A one bid conference is a one bid conference...are you saying there's big differences between one bid leagues?
We have a disappointing season so far in the middle of a Covid year and some feel this the destiny for the A10.
Not to mention one our top teams SLU loses arguably the favorite candidate for A10POY.
VCU also was without 2 starters, one for the year, the other most of the OOC schedule.

This season has been crazy between all the postponements, cancellations, missing players (Covid positive), last minute schedule changes and some feel this will be the benchmark now for the A10 going forward.

I am much more optimistic, looking at the talent going forward, plus the addition of Loyola/Chicago.
Can't even compare the competition in our conference to those mentioned earlier.
The A10 is still considered a top 10 conference by almost every insider.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

77, you keep harping on our talent level.

Earth to Jersey: We aren't that good.

Cox is no whiz bang when it comes to recruiting.

He sold his soul to keep Fatts and now it looks like he's done the same with the Mitchell twins.

Speaking of postponements....I've postponed my interest in this program as it currently stands.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

postpone over the sniffles !
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

what a joke this has become

take the skirts off
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 77, you keep harping on our talent level.

He sold his soul to keep Fatts and now it looks like he's done the same with the Mitchell twins.

Speaking of postponements....I've postponed my interest in this program as it currently stands.
First in my previous post , I was referring to the talent level in the A10 as a whole, as compared to the CAA and America East.

At this point, especially with how Covid has impacted college basketball these past 2 seasons, I am not giving up on the Mitchells, Walker, Ish, AB (who we really haven't seen much of), and saying that our team is devoid of talent.

I still feel Cox is a very good recruiter, not sure about the rest of the staff.
If Cox and URI part ways, I am sure it won't take him long to land a job.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

We have a disappointing season so far in the middle of a Covid year and some feel this the destiny for the A10.
Not to mention one our top teams SLU loses arguably the favorite candidate for A10POY.
VCU also was without 2 starters, one for the year, the other most of the OOC schedule.

This season has been crazy between all the postponements, cancellations, missing players (Covid positive), last minute schedule changes and some feel this will be the benchmark now for the A10 going forward.

I am much more optimistic, looking at the talent going forward, plus the addition of Loyola/Chicago.
Can't even compare the competition in our conference to those mentioned earlier.
Good point. No other conferences have been impacted by covid or injury like the A10.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Good point. No other conferences have been impacted by covid or injury like the A10.
The point is, you shouldn't speculate on our conference's future based on this season alone.
Can't ignore the previous 15 years or the future with our new member going forward.

Getting back to the original discussion, how can you put us at the same level as CAA and America East, just looking at the competition?
Also do they get the same media coverage as the A10?

A10- VCU, Dayton, SLU, Davidson, Bonnies, Richmond, URI
America East - UMBC, Vermont, New Hampshire, Hartford, Albany, UMass/Lowell, Stony Brook
CAA - James Madison, Northeastern, Charleston, Hofstra, Delaware, Drexel, W&M
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Actually I count 6 Conferences that have yet to play 1 conference game.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago postpone over the sniffles !
Don’t infect this thread with Covid takes.

See what I did there?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

First in my previous post , I was referring to the talent level in the A10 as a whole, as compared to the CAA and America East.

At this point, especially with how Covid has impacted college basketball these past 2 seasons, I am not giving up on the Mitchells, Walker, Ish, AB (who we really haven't seen much of), and saying that our team is devoid of talent.

I still feel Cox is a very good recruiter, not sure about the rest of the staff.

Our team is not devoid of talent , just a point guard and a small forward. This is clearly on Cox.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago

Our team is not devoid of talent , just a point guard and a small forward. This is clearly on Cox.
I think Cox was counting on Shep at PG and maybe EA to fill in on occasion, now we are seeing Bassy grow into the role at PG.
Things don't necessarily work out as originally planned.

Martin can play wing or SF.

What we really need is a reliable shooter and consistent threat from 3PT.
Maybe Chance can be that player.

Not every team has perfect balance.

Of course, the roster clearly belongs to Cox.

Look I was very cautious on my expectations this year and never thought we were close in talent to the top tier A10 teams.
I picked us to finish 6th and was also attacked because I downplayed our frontcourt and had many question marks about our backcourt.