Schedule Iona at Ryan

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Schedule Iona at Ryan

Unread post by Obadiah »

With the cancellation of two OOC games, URI will be on the lookout for a quick re-scheduling much like the Wisconsin game last season. Prime candidates to investigate would be teams who also experienced sudden Covid cancellations. The one team that quickly comes to mind is Iona and a quick look at both the URI and Iona schedules reveals some opportunities.

One opportunity exists during the week of Jan. 16 . URI plays at UMass on the Saturday Jan. 15 and then plays their next game versus GW at Ryan a week later on Jan 22. During that same week, Iona plays on Sunday, the 16th at home vs. Niagara and their next game is on Friday, Jan 21. at home versus Marist. URI could possibly host a game with Iona on either Tuesday or Wednesday of that week. Let Iona chose the day.

Another opportunity occurs during the week of February 13. URI hosts Davidson on the Saturday, Feb. 12 and doesn't play its next game until seven day later on the February 19th at GW. Iona that same week has a home game with Monmouth on Sunday, Feb. 13 and doesn't play another game until a home date with Fairfield on Feb. 20. Again a Wednesday game with URI at Ryan could work.

What do you all think.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Schedule Iona at Ryan

Unread post by section(105) »

………I am not smart enough……..what is there to gain for URI to fill those two games……..?given that Covid impacts could still be rattling around, and our likely path to dancing is solely winning the A-10 tourney………so be as heathy as we can to fight the conference schedule, would empty wins help us….?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think it would be better to have some flexibility later in the season - last year there were a few wrong side of the bubble teams that scheduled late games against each other. By February you know who those teams are. Not saying we will be one, but hoping we are there.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

There are several reasons to do this. First, the more games you play, the more opportunity to enhance your record. Also, in the specific Iona example you improve your SOS since Iona has a NET #46 and Brown is # 139, and Cof C is #159. Also there is a financial reason, a cancelled home game in this case, Brown, will cost URI $80,000 if they have to refund.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….OK, fair enough, I guess, for me, I am no longer seeing any viable path to dancing other than the tourney trophy…
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

If you are looking at SOS, then you want to play this at Iona. A win helps a bunch and a loss doesn’t really hurt.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ………I am not smart enough……..what is there to gain for URI to fill those two games……..?given that Covid impacts could still be rattling around, and our likely path to dancing is solely winning the A-10 tourney………so be as heathy as we can to fight the conference schedule, would empty wins help us….?
Looking for 20 wins...

Looking for a gate...
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Schedule another game because I don't want any excuses from the Cox apologists at season's end.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I don't want Slick Rick to spread syphilis to URI players. Go find another team.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Schedule another game because I don't want any excuses from the Cox apologists at season's end.
Coxapology - the study of those who make excuses for University of Rhode Island’s Head Men’s Basketball Coach, David Cox, and his role in the decline of the Men’s Basketball program
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the idea OB would like to see this happen
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago Schedule another game because I don't want any excuses from the Cox apologists at season's end.
Coxapology - the study of those who make excuses for University of Rhode Island’s Head Men’s Basketball Coach, David Cox, and his role in the decline of the Men’s Basketball program
……..great to have RoadyJay back in the saddle…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have no desire to ever see Rick Pitino in the Ryan Center.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago There are several reasons to do this. First, the more games you play, the more opportunity to enhance your record. Also, in the specific Iona example you improve your SOS since Iona has a NET #46 and Brown is # 139, and Cof C is #159. Also there is a financial reason, a cancelled home game in this case, Brown, will cost URI $80,000 if they have to refund.
Would it really cost $80,000? This is a game that happens every year and we go to their place, so I can't imagine we'd be paying them like a guarantee game and it seems like all single game and mini plan tickets could be used for another game. Would it really cost that much just to credit season ticket holders? Even if you count concessions I'm not sure about getting to that $80,000 number
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago There are several reasons to do this. First, the more games you play, the more opportunity to enhance your record. Also, in the specific Iona example you improve your SOS since Iona has a NET #46 and Brown is # 139, and Cof C is #159. Also there is a financial reason, a cancelled home game in this case, Brown, will cost URI $80,000 if they have to refund.
Would it really cost $80,000? This is a game that happens every year and we go to their place, so I can't imagine we'd be paying them like a guarantee game and it seems like all single game and mini plan tickets could be used for another game. Would it really cost that much just to credit season ticket holders? Even if you count concessions I'm not sure about getting to that $80,000 number
Who says we are paying them a guarantee, if we were, the cancellation would be a wash. No, Brown is not a "buy" game, this is home game with a gate and if the game is not played you have to refund the money and crediting season ticket accounts or subbing another game has the same effect - lost revenue. The only way you don't lose revenue is if the ticket revenue is turned into a donation to the program.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Have to take into account all of the suites plus alcohol and food in those suites. That adds up quickly.
Go Rhody
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t want Rick Pitino coming to the Ryan center. Makes no sense to me.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 2 years ago I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t want Rick Pitino coming to the Ryan center. Makes no sense to me.
Because people want to be miserable and pissy all for the sake of being miserable and pissy.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm all for playing any good team at the Ryan Center. Iona is a very solid team. They are much better than most of the teams on our non-conference schedule.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 2 years ago I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t want Rick Pitino coming to the Ryan center. Makes no sense to me.
He alone would be the biggest draw to the Ry all year...?
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

what if Iona said no to coming to the RC? We want Rhody come to New Rochelle.
:lol:
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago what if Iona said no to coming to the RC? We want Rhody come to New Rochelle.
Done and done.

Let's just play basketball.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bring Iona in. Pitino will see the beauty of the Ryan Center, the Campus and where the new Practice Facility is currently being designed for. We should always show off our facilities and future facilities. You never know.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Bring Iona in. Pitino will see the beauty of the Ryan Center, the Campus and where the new Practice Facility is currently being designed for. We should always show off our facilities and future facilities. You never know.
You keep that dream alive, ramster!
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

So you're saying there's a chance?

FWIW This would be where the meme of Jim Carrey would go if I had any, like, actual internet skills.

Another guy with a (very minuscule, admitedly) RI connection.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This would have to be a no-fee game for the away team. Athletic programs are bleeding red ink and I see the home team losing money even if they don't buy a game.
NCAAs or Bust!
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago This would have to be a no-fee game for the away team. Athletic programs are bleeding red ink and I see the home team losing money even if they don't buy a game.
I could be done in an one day bus trip. That keeps expenses to a minimum.
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I wonder how much it would cost for a no fans contest. Refs, some support staff, radio and tv, and whatever else. I think a road game would include one overnight stay at a hotel. This is not like high school where they let you out of last class for a long bus ride. A lot still rides on the outcome of some of these games and the players and coaches want to be properly prepared.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

damram wrote: 2 years ago I wonder how much it would cost for a no fans contest. Refs, some support staff, radio and tv, and whatever else. I think a road game would include one overnight stay at a hotel. This is not like high school where they let you out of last class for a long bus ride. A lot still rides on the outcome of some of these games and the players and coaches want to be properly prepared.
……….our games are on TV………?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

damram wrote: 2 years ago I wonder how much it would cost for a no fans contest. Refs, some support staff, radio and tv, and whatever else. I think a road game would include one overnight stay at a hotel. This is not like high school where they let you out of last class for a long bus ride. A lot still rides on the outcome of some of these games and the players and coaches want to be properly prepared.
You do it just as many games were played last year. Game time could be noon, or 2pm or 4pm so that Iona could get back home in time. Or URI could easily go to Iona. Time of game doesn’t matter much when school is out and no fans in stands.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Is it true that URI pays a fee for all games played at the RC? I suspect the Hynes AC is owned and operated by Iona.
NCAAs or Bust!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I heard from a very reliable source that Thorr and Cox are working on scheduling a game with the Trump University Pumpkins, a major athletic and academic power. A couple of problems with the negotiations...

1. Trump University president apparently has already called the officials for the game (Mike Stephens, Pat Driscoll, and the ghost of Tim Higgins) asking them to "do him a favor." That university president claims it was a perfect call. URI is looking into this.
2. If Trump University leads the game at the 10:50 mark, they tell the official scorer to stop keeping score and not to count any more baskets by URI. That Trump U. president was once actually heard on a phone call telling the scorekeeper after one previous game in which the scoreboard showed a 10-point loss "just to find 11 more points."
3. If they do continue to count baskets after the demand is not met, at the end of the game Trump University will claim the score is not truly the score, the game was rigged and the scorekeepers shouldn't have counted all the baskets, and that Trump University actually won in a blowout.
4. If those three options don't work, they will sue in court with their ace legal team of Abbott and Costello to prove that the game was rigged and the scoreboard was hacked by the Chinese (or a Venezuelan dictator), which changed the score to URI's favor.
4. If all else fails, Trump University gets their fans in a tizzy and have threatened to storm the Ryan Center by throwing pumpkins and oranges at anyone in their way, demanding that the scorebook be thrown out and Trump University be declared the winner.

I'm not sure how Thor and Cox are handling this. I believe they're going to sleep on it...on their MyPillow...and then make a decision.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Trump.
Trump.
Trump.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

When bizarre takes come out of no where, I’m guessing alcohol is definitely a factor…. I’m sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago I heard from a very reliable source that Thorr and Cox are working on scheduling a game with the Trump University Pumpkins, a major athletic and academic power. A couple of problems with the negotiations...

1. Trump University president apparently has already called the officials for the game (Mike Stephens, Pat Driscoll, and the ghost of Tim Higgins) asking them to "do him a favor." That university president claims it was a perfect call. URI is looking into this.
2. If Trump University leads the game at the 10:50 mark, they tell the official scorer to stop keeping score and not to count any more baskets by URI. That Trump U. president was once actually heard on a phone call telling the scorekeeper after one previous game in which the scoreboard showed a 10-point loss "just to find 11 more points."
3. If they do continue to count baskets after the demand is not met, at the end of the game Trump University will claim the score is not truly the score, the game was rigged and the scorekeepers shouldn't have counted all the baskets, and that Trump University actually won in a blowout.
4. If those three options don't work, they will sue in court with their ace legal team of Abbott and Costello to prove that the game was rigged and the scoreboard was hacked by the Chinese (or a Venezuelan dictator), which changed the score to URI's favor.
4. If all else fails, Trump University gets their fans in a tizzy and have threatened to storm the Ryan Center by throwing pumpkins and oranges at anyone in their way, demanding that the scorebook be thrown out and Trump University be declared the winner.

I'm not sure how Thor and Cox are handling this. I believe they're going to sleep on it...on their MyPillow...and then make a decision.

Find a hobby man, you’re trying too hard here.

Post is next level weird.
Go Rhody
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I have no desire to ever see Rick Pitino in the Ryan Center.
Not only would I like to have Pitino and Iona come play us at Ryan center but would have loved to have him hired 4 years ago instead of Cox to coach our team. I’m pretty certain we would have had a lot more check marks in the W column.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Absolutely

I wanted pitino

Cox = snore fest
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Absolutely

I wanted pitino

Cox = snore fest
We all did, really...some just wanted to feign righteousness more first :lol:
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Last edited by STC 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

“We’re trying right now. We called Assumption, CCRI, Bunker Hill Community College, St Anselm”
- David Cox, probably.

Seriously though, I hope Koch or Hershgordon press Cox on specific schools that URI contacted. Enough of the vague “we tried”.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Of course, no specifics from Cox as to what schools they called and why it didn’t work out.

KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Of course, no specifics from Cox as to what schools they called and why it didn’t work out.

Has any coach ever given a 30 minute recap on behind the scenes scheduling decisions with granular details?

There’s been numerous informative posts on this forum on the likely reasons this didn’t work out. URI wanted to preserve the home game, paying a team to come play us isn’t cheap, travel on short notice is costly/challenging for the Away team, etc etc
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago Of course, no specifics from Cox as to what schools they called and why it didn’t work out.

Has any coach ever given a 30 minute recap on behind the scenes scheduling decisions with granular details?

There’s been numerous informative posts on this forum on the likely reasons this didn’t work out. URI wanted to preserve the home game, paying a team to come play us isn’t cheap, travel on short notice is costly/challenging for the Away team, etc etc
Has any coach ever given a 30 minute recap on behind the scenes scheduling decisions with granular details? - Yes, see Pitino quotes posted earlier.

There’s been numerous informative posts on this forum on the likely reasons this didn’t work out. URI wanted to preserve the home game, paying a team to come play us isn’t cheap, travel on short notice is costly/challenging for the Away team, etc etc. -- I want to hear it from the coach directly, not the posters of KeaneyBlue.

Cox and Thorr had no problem expounding on the scheduling process last year when they landed a game against #13 Wisconsin (which both deserve a ton of credit for). I'm not asking for Top 25 teams but like Thorr mentioned last year in regards to the Wisconsin game,

“The University of Rhode Island cares about its fans and about the state of Rhode Island,” URI athletic director Thorr Bjorn said in a statement. “We have a responsibility to play as competitive a schedule as possible."

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 862111001/
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

STC wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Has any coach ever given a 30 minute recap on behind the scenes scheduling decisions with granular details? - Yes, see Pitino quotes posted earlier.

There’s been numerous informative posts on this forum on the likely reasons this didn’t work out. URI wanted to preserve the home game, paying a team to come play us isn’t cheap, travel on short notice is costly/challenging for the Away team, etc etc. -- I want to hear it from the coach directly, not the posters of KeaneyBlue.

Cox and Thorr had no problem expounding on the scheduling process last year when they landed a game against #13 Wisconsin (which both deserve a ton of credit for). I'm not asking for Top 25 teams but like Thorr mentioned last year in regards to the Wisconsin game,

“The University of Rhode Island cares about its fans and about the state of Rhode Island,” URI athletic director Thorr Bjorn said in a statement. “We have a responsibility to play as competitive a schedule as possible."

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 862111001/
I just think of this game as truly a scrimmage, would have been better for everyone involved (specifically the fans and this board) if they could have played this game in secret
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago I heard from a very reliable source that Thorr and Cox are working on scheduling a game with the Trump University Pumpkins, a major athletic and academic power. A couple of problems with the negotiations...

It's absolutely hysterical how Trump lives rent-free in so many middle-aged dudes' minds. Like, bro, did he steal ya girl?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago I don't want Slick Rick to spread syphilis to URI players. Go find another team.
Ok he’ s slick Rick, BUT, he does spend time developing players!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

STC wrote: 2 years ago “We’re trying right now. We called Assumption, CCRI, Bunker Hill Community College, St Anselm”
- David Cox, probably.

Seriously though, I hope Koch or Hershgordon press Cox on specific schools that URI contacted. Enough of the vague “we tried”.
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago With the cancellation of two OOC games, URI will be on the lookout for a quick re-scheduling much like the Wisconsin game last season. Prime candidates to investigate would be teams who also experienced sudden Covid cancellations. The one team that quickly comes to mind is Iona and a quick look at both the URI and Iona schedules reveals some opportunities.

One opportunity exists during the week of Jan. 16 . URI plays at UMass on the Saturday Jan. 15 and then plays their next game versus GW at Ryan a week later on Jan 22. During that same week, Iona plays on Sunday, the 16th at home vs. Niagara and their next game is on Friday, Jan 21. at home versus Marist. URI could possibly host a game with Iona on either Tuesday or Wednesday of that week. Let Iona chose the day.

We should schedule games with a mind on who we can “steal” not only on the player side but the coaching staff also.

Another opportunity occurs during the week of February 13. URI hosts Davidson on the Saturday, Feb. 12 and doesn't play its next game until seven day later on the February 19th at GW. Iona that same week has a home game with Monmouth on Sunday, Feb. 13 and doesn't play another game until a home date with Fairfield on Feb. 20. Again a Wednesday game with URI at Ryan could work.

What do you all think.
:?
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago I don't want Slick Rick to spread syphilis to URI players. Go find another team.
Ok he’ s slick Rick, BUT, he does spend time developing players!
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago [quote=Rhody15 post_id=497283 time=<a href="tel:1640143000">1640143000</a> user_id=194]
[quote=PlayMikeMotenMore post_id=497275 time=<a href="tel:1640141335">1640141335</a> user_id=1325]
I heard from a very reliable source that Thorr and Cox are working on scheduling a game with the Trump University Pumpkins, a major athletic and academic power. A couple of problems with the negotiations...

[/quote]

It's absolutely hysterical how Trump lives rent-free in so many middle-aged dudes' minds. Like, bro, did he steal ya girl?

I think I have made it clear that I am a Trump supporter, But, I do find Mike’s post creative and funny. I will work on the Biden University game and welcome any input. Enjoy!!
[/quote]
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bumped for PMMM
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Bumped for PMMM
Man, your nose is so far up Pitino's poop shoot. Enjoy.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Bumped for PMMM
Man, your nose is so far up Pitino's poop shoot. Enjoy.
Bumped it to show you reasons why Iona- Monmouth might be if interest to some here since you were upset about the game listed in Games of interest yesterday.

Some like Pitino some don’t on this board. Some may want Iona to win, some might want Iona to lose and some might just have passive interest. And any one doesn’t care just skip the topic.