Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's going to. But it's going to take a while before the pandemic becomes endemic. Herd immunity, plus the vaccines, will indeed be the way out of this.

There's still way too many idiots who won't get vaccinated.

No excuse for that in this country.

But for a lot of the rest of the world, it's not so easy, and that won't help.

So in the meantime, for a few more months at least, we are going to have to put up with more and more restrictions.

The next couple of months will be the worst.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

But why restrictions? Who are we protecting? The vaccinated? They have the vax. The unvaccinated? They chose not to get it. So who are we protecting?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would that is so, but also you would think the medical community is being over burdened to the max.

Too many doctors and nurses have either died or left the business....that hurts the quality of medical care for all.

The people who refuse the vaccines simply don't care about anybody but themselves. Or they are just plain ignorant.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….saw in local Patch……..URI students asked to leave campus after exams………to avoid gatherings…….
Aren't they all vaxxed? So what is the issue? The vaxx don't work?
The vaccines are designed to keep people out of the hospital and the morgue.

They do a good job of that. But especially with Omicron, many millions will get it no matter if they are vaccinated or not.

It's because the sheer numbers of people who will get infected by either Delta or Omicron, that will overtax the hospitals because even if serious disease is uncommon, that's still a lot that do get sick.

I fully expect to get Omicron at some point. Almost all of us will. It's beyond contagious.

But it's very likely it won't be serious, as long as we have at least 2 shots, and preferably the booster too.

Who knows, I may have already had it, and not known about it. Over 40% of all cases are estimated to be asymptomatic.

Plus, today there were reports that if you are fully vaccinated and get the virus, you will likely have "super immunity" to any future variants.

So what the fuck....get it, hope it isn't bad, and move on and stop stressing over it.
And as the IRs fill up with COVID patients, good luck getting the immediate care you need if you get into a car accident, have a heart attack or stroke, get shot, etc., etc., etc.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….saw in local Patch……..URI students asked to leave campus after exams………to avoid gatherings…….
Aren't they all vaxxed? So what is the issue? The vaxx don't work?
The vaccines are designed to keep people out of the hospital and the morgue.

They do a good job of that. But especially with Omicron, many millions will get it no matter if they are vaccinated or not.

It's because the sheer numbers of people who will get infected by either Delta or Omicron, that will overtax the hospitals because even if serious disease is uncommon, that's still a lot that do get sick.

I fully expect to get Omicron at some point. Almost all of us will. It's beyond contagious.

But it's very likely it won't be serious, as long as we have at least 2 shots, and preferably the booster too.

Who knows, I may have already had it, and not known about it. Over 40% of all cases are estimated to be asymptomatic.

Plus, today there were reports that if you are fully vaccinated and get the virus, you will likely have "super immunity" to any future variants.

So what the fuck....get it, hope it isn't bad, and move on and stop stressing over it.
I guess I fit Super Immunity status. Rambone, be careful what you wish for.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Those not vaccinated are providing a host for the virus to mutate and spread. The shots are doing a good job of protecting our lungs, not our upper airways. Some people have figured out the end-game.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Those not vaccinated are providing a host for the virus to mutate and spread. The shots are doing a good job of protecting our lungs, not our upper airways. Some people have figured out the end-game.
Thanos?
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago It's going to. But it's going to take a while before the pandemic becomes endemic. Herd immunity, plus the vaccines, will indeed be the way out of this.

There's still way too many idiots who won't get vaccinated.

No excuse for that in this country.

But for a lot of the rest of the world, it's not so easy, and that won't help.

So in the meantime, for a few more months at least, we are going to have to put up with more and more restrictions.

The next couple of months will be the worst.
So when will people realize that the spread is no longer about who is vaxxed or not. Omicron (or some other variant) was inevitable from another country no matter how many Americans were vaccinated. Herd immunity is not an option.

The more people continue to say that vaccines are preventing the spread the less reluctant people are willing to get it because it is clearly not true. At this point a vaccine is more about your own personal protection.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UCH21377, certainly I don't want to get it, but I likely will since it's so contagious. Like I said, I may have already had Delta, who knows.

What's interesting, is that so far the infection rate for Omicron is actually lower for older people, which I attribute to most older people being vaccinated versus younger people. Plus younger people are more likely to hang out in more crowded venues like bars.

For those who have gotten boosters, it's 80-85% effective at preventing severe disease from Omicron. It was 97% with Delta.

So the odds are good, what else can you do?
Fauci said recently that we won't need a new booster designed for Omicron.....not sure about that though.

At some point, there will need to be an updated vaccine imo.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode Island now almost up to previous worst New Cases level a year ago and climbing.
D5C1DFA8-1EE3-4D91-B067-B7051444498A.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Rhode Island now almost up to worst New Cases level and climbing.

………I miss Gina…….😏
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

The more people continue to say that vaccines are preventing the spread the less reluctant people are willing to get it because it is clearly not true. At this point a vaccine is more about your own personal protection.
So, you are saying people are more likely to get vaccinated because vaccination doesn't prevent the spread of covid?
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

So, you are saying people are more likely to get vaccinated because vaccination doesn't prevent the spread of covid?
Saying that we're in such swirl of it that...whether you get vaxxed or not...it can be considered a "selfish" act. Equal Opportunity Selfishness....it's perfect!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The insurance companies can get this under control -- all they have to do is refuse to pay covid-related claims from the unvaccinated. Why should they pay to treat a preventable hospitalization for those who won't take any steps to protect themselves?

BTW, sooner or later all those preventable hospitalizations show up in our health-insurance premiums.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago The insurance companies can get this under control -- all they have to do is refuse to pay covid-related claims from the unvaccinated. Why should they pay to treat a preventable hospitalization for those who won't take any steps to protect themselves?

BTW, sooner or later all those preventable hospitalizations show up in our health-insurance premiums.
And the first state that allows anything like that...will be the first state that allows anything like that.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago The insurance companies can get this under control -- all they have to do is refuse to pay covid-related claims from the unvaccinated. Why should they pay to treat a preventable hospitalization for those who won't take any steps to protect themselves?

Talk about opening a can of worms.
So do they refuse those who smoke from cancer treatment?
Those who were in a car accident and weren't wearing a seatbelt?
Someone who slips on ice because they didn't put ice melt on their walkway?

Be careful what you wish for.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Most larger employers are self-insured and the Ins. Co. just process claims according to the contract. Their premiums are based on their claims history. You would think these employers could adjust employees co-pay of premiums based on vaccination status - the way some do for smokers. Ins. Co. are regulated and have trouble writing contracts that include these exclusions.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Masks are requitred at the XL Center. Watch the pc-uconn game and tell me how many are wearing a mask. Like I said, people are done.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Masks were required at this morning’s nursing school graduation. I was not surprised when this was scheduled a couple months ago, since it was held on campus. In that setting, no one tried to get away with taking it off during the ceremony. It was less than an hour, so not a problem. I think all the parents were just happy to be able to attend.
Agree that there hasn’t been much mask wearing at sporting events, from what I’ve seen.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The vast majority of the increase in hospitalizations is the unvaccinated.

It's not that Omicron is worse, it's just way more contagious, and the unvaxxed are in a LOT of trouble.

And all of us will pay for it with all of the restrictions and closings to come.

So thank the unvaccinated for all of this.

The NFL just announced that they could care less. As long as players are vaccinated and show no symptoms, they will no longer be tested.

That way less players will miss games as long as they feel fine. Virtually all positives to this point have been asymptomatic or at the most very mild.

More games, more money.

I wonder if the rest of the pro leagues will follow suit. Wouldn't surprise me.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The vast majority of the increase in hospitalizations is the unvaccinated.

It's not that Omicron is worse, it's just way more contagious, and the unvaxxed are in a LOT of trouble.

And all of us will pay for it with all of the restrictions and closings to come.

So thank the unvaccinated for all of this.

The NFL just announced that they could care less. As long as players are vaccinated and show no symptoms, they will no longer be tested.

That way less players will miss games as long as they feel fine. Virtually all positives to this point have been asymptomatic or at the most very mild.

More games, more money.

I wonder if the rest of the pro leagues will follow suit. Wouldn't surprise me.
Best news in a long time. End it. Get vaxxed or don't. Your choice. Don't restrict me because you feel unsafe.

"The protocols shift responsibility for a given person's health and safety from the collective to the individual."

"Many of those players, even when infected, feel well enough to play. Sills said earlier this week that many of the 100-plus who've tested positive this week would not have even sought a test based on symptoms. Washington Football Team doctor Tony Casolaro told reporters Saturday that of his team's 23 players who tested positive this week, only two would have been held out of practice solely based on symptoms."
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Perspective. Since covid hit almost 2 years ago, there have been 5.07 million deaths associated with this across the globe in total. In 2018, one year, there were 9.5 million deaths due to cancer. Each death is sad, but let's have some perspective on this thing.

What about all the domestic violence, suicides, and abandonment that have happened as a result of this disaster? Clearly wearing a mask and locking people in their homes for close to two 2 years is the only answer. :roll:

And before anyone tries to come at me on this, I can count on more than one hand of all the suicides of people I know PERSONALLY. This is way more harrowing and harmful than the flu.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The media's job is to cry wolf....

Now we have the Omigod variant [took liberty with the spelling]....

All hell is breaking loose, the Dow dropped 800 points Friday....

Now I read where doctors who are at the epicenter of the breakout say that the symptoms are not serious whatsoever, at least so far.

It never ends, and isn't likely for years to come.
If you're wondering whether this variant business is "all about the science" just ask "the scientists" why this variant is named Omicron and not Xi (which precedes Omicron in the Greek alphabet).

And also why there's video of one of the South African doctors who discovered the variant saying "it's symptoms are very mild."

Also why does Biden not need to wear a mask when he's indoors but other people do?

And I would love for someone to tell me why Biden's African travel ban isn't racist or xenophobic but Trump's was? And why we should limit travel from Africa but leave the southern border open? I know there's science all over this somewhere.

I'll hang up and listen.
Clearly, we can't have a Xi variant. That's Biden's BFF's name!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Yup, singing a Taylor Swift song caused the uptick in cases. You nailed it.

Also, actually typing out “large beer cans” is absolutely hilarious. But if they were “small beer cans” that would’ve been ok? Like the size of the beer cans actually means anything whatsoever.

Did you seriously just f’n list those as legitimate talking points?

I truly hope to god this was just a huge troll because if not, boy there’s something wrong with you.
Yep
Just to draw the PC ire out of you. It worked.
Friar15 fan for life
Taylor Swift causes Covid, Fosters Lager, 10W 30 beer for everyone, but you have to hold it after, and we are all good?
I didn't realize I lived rent free in so many people's heads. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The media's job is to cry wolf....

Now we have the Omigod variant [took liberty with the spelling]....

All hell is breaking loose, the Dow dropped 800 points Friday....

Now I read where doctors who are at the epicenter of the breakout say that the symptoms are not serious whatsoever, at least so far.

It never ends, and isn't likely for years to come.
If you're wondering whether this variant business is "all about the science" just ask "the scientists" why this variant is named Omicron and not Xi (which precedes Omicron in the Greek alphabet).

And also why there's video of one of the South African doctors who discovered the variant saying "it's symptoms are very mild."

Also why does Biden not need to wear a mask when he's indoors but other people do?

And I would love for someone to tell me why Biden's African travel ban isn't racist or xenophobic but Trump's was? And why we should limit travel from Africa but leave the southern border open? I know there's science all over this somewhere.

I'll hang up and listen.
I thought this wasn't political....
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Rhode Island now almost up to worst New Cases level and climbing.

Great graph. We are fooling healthy people into thinking they're sick. Who's to even say any of these third party testing sites are even giving you accurate results?

I know someone who had her 3 shots and then was quarantined in her home for 17 days last month.

We've now turned the flu and common cold into a "pandemic". COVID is completely over to me. I've never even had it. I have O+ blood. Other than the 2 chronic/incurable illnesses I have, I feel fantastic every day.

It saddens me that allegedly intelligent and successful adults have now given up their personal freedoms for the sake of "rules" made by the government. I am so glad I canceled cable. I don't even hear about Covid other than on this message board and social media posts. Is anyone healthy really even scared of this anymore? Good lord. Get out and BREATHE IN THE FRESH AIR WITHOUT A MASK. You will survive. I promise.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The NFL made the first logical decision in all of this. If you are vaxxed, you don't get tested. Like I said, people are done with this.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………Taylor Swift for guv……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Should insurance companies stop paying for the lung cancer treatments of chain smokers?

Stop paying claims for people who have skin cancer and didn't use sunscreen?

Stop paying for gastric bypass for morbidly obese people?

Stop paying for eyeglasses for people who have poor eyesight?

Stop paying for dental treatment for people with halitosis?

Stop paying for heart surgery for people who ate a cheeseburger?

Personally, I would love to start charging people fines for littering their masks in parking lots.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

I'll hang up and listen.
I thought this wasn't political....
It wasn't meant to be political? Xi is Biden's best friend?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ………Taylor Swift for guv……..
LOL I'd never get elected in RI. I don't have my pronouns in my social media profiles. In any other state I'd have a shot.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago The NFL made the first logical decision in all of this. If you are vaxxed, you don't get tested. Like I said, people are done with this.
Logic has completely gone out the window. I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Toronto and she told me it's a complete joke up there. She called Trudeau spineless.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago The NFL made the first logical decision in all of this. If you are vaxxed, you don't get tested. Like I said, people are done with this.
Logic has completely gone out the window. I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Toronto and she told me it's a complete joke up there. She called Trudeau spineless.
You should have gone to Genesis with us. It was a blast!!!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

You should have gone to Genesis with us. It was a blast!!!
Hey we gotta get drinks soon! I know of a place :lol:
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Should insurance companies stop paying for the lung cancer treatments of chain smokers?

Personally, I would love to start charging people fines for littering their masks in parking lots.
None of those other conditions can put others in the hospital. None of those other things is contagious.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago

None of those other conditions can put others in the hospital. None of those other things is contagious.
How do you know these aren't contagious? Maybe they are and we just don't know it yet?

Also, your entire life.... were you ever worried if people around you didn't have an MMR, polio, or meningitis vax?

There's a chicken pox vax, I had shingles a few months ago. Do you see me blaming people for getting shingles? No. You don't. Shingles essentially had me down for the count for 7 weeks. I could hardly get out of bed most days. Covid would have been way easier for me to deal with!

So vaccinated people with 5 boosters are still passing Covid to others. You cannot blame unvaccinated people for that. If you are, then you need to turn off your TV. If people were that scared of the China Flu. The state is fishing for cases by doing all this asymptomatic testing. I know married couples where one had covid and the other didn't get it. There's zero logic to living in fear of this, unless you're severely ill, then in that case stay home and get your groceries delivered and never leave your house until Covid is completely eradicated from the planet.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I didn't hear you once speak about the flu in such a way.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I didn't hear you once speak about the flu in such a way.

The media has really gotten a hold on people. It's all by design.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Common sense prevails once the finances align.

-The NFL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I guess you can now add us to that list.
So far, we are the only A10 school with team Covid issues.

RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I’m assuming another year of eligibility will be up for discussion again.

In a few years, 30 year olds playing college basketball won’t be uncommon.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Very few masks at the PC -URI Dunk game 2 weeks ago
Few masks at the UCONN-PC XCEL game yesterday

If masks do all the prevention that CDC Science and the media says they do then it’s just a matter of time before this close to 100% non-mask wearing in crowded, sold out indoor college basketball arenas provides unwelcome test results
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I guess you can now add us to that list.
So far, we are the only A10 school with team Covid issues.

Add Coppin State that just canceled with George Mason
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Very few masks at the PC -URI Dunk game 2 weeks ago

If masks do all the prevention that CDC Science and the media says they do then it’s just a matter of time before this close to 100% non-mask wearing in crowded, sold out indoor college basketball arenas provides unwelcome test results
Since the majority of people are going to ignore the rules of the venue we are heading straight to no fans at games again. Just follow the freaking rules.. agree or disagree do what's right or us fans that are willing to put up with the annoyance of wearing masks are going to get screwed out of another stretch of live entertainment. When did we become a culture of saying f u to rules regardless of how stupid the rule may be..
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Very few masks at the PC -URI Dunk game 2 weeks ago

Since the majority of people are going to ignore the rules of the venue we are heading straight to no fans at games again. Just follow the freaking rules.. agree or disagree do what's right or us fans that are willing to put up with the annoyance of wearing masks are going to get screwed out of another stretch of live entertainment. When did we become a culture of saying f u to rules regardless of how stupid the rule may be..
Exactly. I'm tired of being told to stay home. I think those who are unwilling to follow the guidelines are the ones who should stay home.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Rothstein has tweeted five times this morning about games this week being cancelled due to Covid, and none of the five were about the Rhody game. Expect more cancellations over the next couple of weeks. After that, who knows?
I would be really nervous if I were an Ivy League player or coach. We know the the powers that be are not averse to shutting the season down. I saw where Harvard has already moved to remote learning for the first three weeks of next semester.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Looks like a VCU issue.
We aren't the only A10 team dealing with Covid now.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

We’re so fucked
:lol: