Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago So was the game @ the Dunk a superspreader event? :-o
It very well could have been, though I'm not sure with contract tracing being what it is we'll ever know
Guess it depends on how you describe “super spreader”events.
  • 14,000 people
  • Large Beer Cans with the majority of people holding one
  • 20 minute waiting lines to pee during halftime and most of 2nd half due to the large Beer Cans
  • PC student section singing Taylor Swift song loudly - Dr Fauci says singing is a spreader
  • Very crowded hallway for concessions and food that also contains crowded bathrooms
  • RI and Northeast Covid new cases and hospitalizations in a rapid rise
Guess the question is best for Dr Alexander but maybe already answered with mask mandate reannounced today by the Governor.

Yup, singing a Taylor Swift song caused the uptick in cases. You nailed it.

Also, actually typing out “large beer cans” is absolutely hilarious. But if they were “small beer cans” that would’ve been ok? Like the size of the beer cans actually means anything whatsoever.

Did you seriously just f’n list those as legitimate talking points?

I truly hope to god this was just a huge troll because if not, boy there’s something wrong with you.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

It very well could have been, though I'm not sure with contract tracing being what it is we'll ever know
  • 14,000 people
  • 20 minute waiting lines to pee during halftime and most of 2nd half due to the large Beer Cans
  • PC student section singing Taylor Swift song loudly - Dr Fauci says singing is a spreader
  • Very crowded hallway for concessions and food that also contains crowded bathrooms
Guess the question is best for Dr Alexander but maybe already answered with mask mandate reannounced today by the Governor.

Also, actually typing out “large beer cans” is absolutely hilarious. But if they were “small beer cans” that would’ve been ok? Like the size of the beer cans actually means anything whatsoever.

I truly hope to god this was just a huge troll because if not, boy there’s something wrong with you.
Yep
Just to draw the PC ire out of you. It worked.
Friar15 fan for life
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

• 14,000 people

Yep
Friar15 fan for life

You and blueram are too cute calling everyone PC fans who disagree with you.

Here’s a question. Does Covid spread from people who drink small beer cans in the Rhody pub, or only spread between people who drink tall boy gansetts in large beer cans?
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yep
Friar15 fan for life

You and blueram are too cute calling everyone PC fans who disagree with you.

Here’s a question. Does Covid spread from people who drink small beer cans in the Rhody pub, or only spread between people who drink tall boy gansetts in large beer cans?
More than just blue ram.
Stop trolling the URI board.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Here’s a question. Does Covid spread from people who drink small beer cans in the Rhody pub, or only spread between people who drink tall boy gansetts in large beer cans?
All I drink is tall-boy 'Gansetts (thank you, Total Wine and More in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.!) and all my tests come back negative. Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that I wear a mask in public and have been vaccinated, though. /s
Last edited by Rhode_Island_Red 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hearing Duke is looking for a game Saturday bc Clev State backed out for Covid reasons. Let’s lob in a call and play the rare away back to backs ;)
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

PeeCee.jpg
Ironically this came from a Friar Fan's tweet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

We’re phucked
:lol:
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago PeeCee.jpg

Ironically this came from a Friar Fan's tweet.
That's the only way the mental patients could understand something so complicated.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

• 14,000 people

Yep
Friar15 fan for life
Taylor Swift causes Covid, Fosters Lager, 10W 30 beer for everyone, but you have to hold it after, and we are all good?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Probably a good bet the Dunk with no rules at all - no vaccination proof required and no masks required contributed to the increase.
Now back to the mandates

NY Times Today

The country is averaging about 120,000 cases a day as Midwestern and Northeastern states struggle to contain surges.

About 800,000 coronavirus deaths have been reported nationwide since the start of the pandemic. Americans 65 and older account for about three-quarters of those deaths.

New Hampshire and Rhode Island lead the country in recent cases per capita. Infection rates continue to increase rapidly in both those states.

Hospitals in the Midwest are straining to treat an influx of coronavirus patients. Michigan, Indiana and Ohio have the highest coronavirus hospitalization rates in the nation.

The Delta variant remains the dominant force in the United States. It is not yet known how the Omicron variant, which is gaining a foothold in Washington State and other parts of the country, might affect those trends in the coming weeks.

About 61 percent of Americans are fully vaccinated. Around two million doses are being administered each day, a figure that includes booster shots.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... cases.html
852664A9-F65C-4FF4-8BE6-86C67BDB7D85.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We suck.
GO RAMS
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

With the new mask mandate per Governor....

"Businesses and venues with over 250 people will require masking for employees and patrons regardless of vaccination status."

Does this mean that the basketball players, cheerleaders, refs, coaches, announcers ect. Need to all wear masks? If not why not? if so why?

Please someone clear this up for me....I'm serious. How about the Providence Bruins games?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….no, I recall the guv and the Health Commish made reference to their college/pro player leagues would still have authority to mandate or not masks………doubt any of these college/pro leagues would require masks…….that question was raised by a media person……….I think I have this correct…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

GW not allowing ticketed fans to attend WBB and MBB games 12/21 and 12/22.
Very concerning.

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If URI does the same thing, then can probably say good bye to the majority of season ticket holders.

Absolutely inexcusable to make that move.

Granted nobody was probably even going to GW games, but that move is ban ticket holders is ludicrous a quarter of the way into the season.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rjv wrote: 2 years ago With the new mask mandate per Governor....

"Businesses and venues with over 250 people will require masking for employees and patrons regardless of vaccination status."

Does this mean that the basketball players, cheerleaders, refs, coaches, announcers ect. Need to all wear masks? If not why not? if so why?

Please someone clear this up for me....I'm serious. How about the Providence Bruins games?
So it sounded like athletes would not have to wear masks for college or pro games, however I'm not sure about various support staff, and Alexander-Scott made a comment afterwards that made it sound like not having to wear masks for athletes is only if you're vaccinated. So just like with so many other things when it comes to rules and mandates, clear as mud...
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It's such an emergency that we need to wait 5 days to put it into effect.

And we can get rid of unvaccinated nurses, but it's a pandemic and we're "overloading" the hospitals.

Again - arbitrary rules. We're back to doing the same thing that never worked in the first place. Sensible! Science!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Again, the vast majority of new cases are not serious, especially the new variant.

This is getting ridiculous, and it's going to get worse. I've been triple jabbed, and I'm not going to crawl in a hole no matter what.

We can look forward to another winter of our discontent.......

Anyway, after Christmas, I don't have much to do or go to, except a trip to Florida in February.

And I don't have to worry about a mask mandate there lol.

Some businesses such as restaurants and bars might have to close temporarily due to many staff getting infected, but we're not going back to the spring of 2020. We just aren't.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Players having to wear masks while actually playing, might be the most stupid idea EVER.

Who would even do that? How could they breathe and perform at all?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

IF the experts are right, once Omicron takes over, it will be just like getting a cold although maybe more common, being so contagious.

Yes some will get very sick, but that already happens with the flu...if you're old and vulnerable it happens.

Take a few days off, get well, and get up on your horse again.

That's the plan anyway......
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

The media needs to CHILL. The bs spreads faster than the damn virus.
GO RAMS
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago The media needs to CHILL. The bs spreads faster than the damn virus.
Sure, blame the media. Sorry but doctors and scientists are not the media. And they know a lot more about this stuff than you, me, and 99.9% of the people on this board who think they are COVID experts b/c of what they read on Facebook, saw on YouTube, or heard from some right-wingnut blowhard.

Omicron may be like catching a cold for those who are vaccinated. But the people overflowing the hospitals right now are mostly unvaccinated. That's a major problem.

If you think the media is responsible for this "BS", then try walking into a hospital these days, talking to some doctors and nurses...and they'll tell you if they think this "BS" is overblown.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Players having to wear masks while actually playing, might be the most stupid idea EVER.

Well, the youth and high school players do it in my state. If 16-18 year-olds can figure it out, maybe you can. My kids are doing just fine. They adjust, they're resilient, they don't complain...because they realize this what they need to do to play. It's worth it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago It's such an emergency that we need to wait 5 days to put it into effect.
The most concrete proof (acknowledgement?) of what a total sham this has become... they don't even try to pretend anymore.

Pandemic bad...losing shopping days worse. Good grief are we effed.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago The media needs to CHILL. The bs spreads faster than the damn virus.
Sure, blame the media. Sorry but doctors and scientists are not the media. And they know a lot more about this stuff than you, me, and 99.9% of the people on this board who think they are COVID experts b/c of what they read on Facebook, saw on YouTube, or heard from some right-wingnut blowhard.

Omicron may be like catching a cold for those who are vaccinated. But the people overflowing the hospitals right now are mostly unvaccinated. That's a major problem.

If you think the media is responsible for this "BS", then try walking into a hospital these days, talking to some doctors and nurses...and they'll tell you if they think this "BS" is overblown.
I'm not saying its all BS, I'm a pro vaxx guy. But there's definitely people making quick judgments and decisions based on the media. And media as in FB twitter ect. Its the people reading FB youtube that freak out and react by cutting to conclusions and acting like the world is over that I'm speaking too. Not the MD's. Somehow, vaxx masks ect, we are headed to the same place we were in 2020.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago

I'm not saying its all BS, I'm a pro vaxx guy. But there's definitely people making quick judgments and decisions based on the media. And media as in FB twitter ect. Its the people reading FB youtube that freak out and react by cutting to conclusions and acting like the world is over that I'm speaking too. Not the MD's. Somehow, vaxx masks ect, we are headed to the same place we were in 2020.
not that that's a commentary on the effectiveness of everything that's been done so far.. so, by all means, why not roll it out again
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

not that that's a commentary on the effectiveness of everything that's been done so far.. so, by all means, why not roll it out again
And you don't think that things would have been much worse if nobody was vaccinated and nobody wore masks? (I'd like to shoot myself for getting into this again)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

At least it doesn't look like there will be any lock downs again.

People would lose their minds even more than what's happening now.

Mass unemployment and shutting down the economy, that happened in 2020 and isn't happening again.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago At least it doesn't look like there will be any lock downs again.

Mass unemployment and shutting down the economy, that happened in 2020 and isn't happening again.
yet
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago At least it doesn't look like there will be any lock downs again.

yet
I was actually going to say...what makes anyone even halfway sure it isn't?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Players having to wear masks while actually playing, might be the most stupid idea EVER.

Well, the youth and high school players do it in my state. If 16-18 year-olds can figure it out, maybe you can. My kids are doing just fine. They adjust, they're resilient, they don't complain...because they realize this what they need to do to play. It's worth it.
If you really are defending high school basketball players wearing chin straps, I mean masks, as they play you’ve lost me there. You can’t really think that is anything more than performative theater.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

And you don't think that things would have been much worse if nobody was vaccinated and nobody wore masks? (I'd like to shoot myself for getting into this again)
But like - it is worse. It’s “worse” now than it was when we “didn’t know better” last year. Somehow it’s worse if we’re using the same metrics political leaders we’re using last year to decry how terrible it was being handled.

Now it’s going to be handled in the exact same way, we have have mountains of data to say it really didn’t help or make a significant difference…and people are going along with it?

It’s impressive to see the hoops people are jumping through to justify any of these actions as anything but political theater and a power grab.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Since we don't really know what to do, except for pretend that WE do and THEY are nuts...there's nothing left but political theatre and power grab...if the science has no clothes, "it's what you do"
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
Absurd... no other word
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I was at the Genesis concert last night at the Garden. Mask were required but I would say over 95% of the people were not wearing them. They had people holding signs saying put your mask on, but people walked right by them. I do believe people are done with the restrictions.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

we're fucked
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….whose next to follow suit with Northeastern?…………maybe the Ivy’s……….they acted pretty quickly last time around……..would not be shocked if they pull the plug on the entire winter program……..what a mess…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Those who fought in WW2 and rebuilt the world through the 50's will be forever known as The Greatest Generation.

Current day folks will forever bear the moniker: The Most Selfish Generation
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NHRamFan wrote: 2 years ago Those who fought in WW2 and rebuilt the world through the 50's will be forever known as The Greatest Generation.

Current day folks will forever bear the moniker: The Most Selfish Generation
Livefreeordieramfan, is your concern with people who don't get a vax or people who don't wear a mask?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….saw in local Patch……..URI students asked to leave campus after exams………to avoid gatherings…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not good for Davidson, unless they are able to add any games.
This only leaves them with 10 OOC games, 28 games total.
Reduces their chances of a possible at-large.

theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….saw in local Patch……..URI students asked to leave campus after exams………to avoid gatherings…….
Aren't they all vaxxed? So what is the issue? The vaxx don't work?
URI_CellBio14
Abdul Fox

Unread post by URI_CellBio14 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

But like - it is worse. It’s “worse” now than it was when we “didn’t know better” last year. Somehow it’s worse if we’re using the same metrics political leaders we’re using last year to decry how terrible it was being handled.

Now it’s going to be handled in the exact same way, we have have mountains of data to say it really didn’t help or make a significant difference…and people are going along with it?

It’s impressive to see the hoops people are jumping through to justify any of these actions as anything but political theater and a power grab.
Lockdown measures in the spring of 2020 saved millions of lives:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2405-7
"We find that across 11 countries 3.1 (2.8–3.5) million deaths have been averted owing to interventions since the beginning of the epidemic"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586- ... kf4Oxt4%3D

"We estimate that across these 6 countries, interventions prevented or delayed on the order of 61 million confirmed cases, corresponding to averting approximately 495 million total infections."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

URI_CellBio14 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Lockdown measures in the spring of 2020 saved millions of lives:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2405-7
"We find that across 11 countries 3.1 (2.8–3.5) million deaths have been averted owing to interventions since the beginning of the epidemic"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586- ... kf4Oxt4%3D

"We estimate that across these 6 countries, interventions prevented or delayed on the order of 61 million confirmed cases, corresponding to averting approximately 495 million total infections."
Well maybe?
https://www.newswise.com/factcheck/the- ... misleading
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….saw in local Patch……..URI students asked to leave campus after exams………to avoid gatherings…….
The vaccines are designed to keep people out of the hospital and the morgue.

They do a good job of that. But especially with Omicron, many millions will get it no matter if they are vaccinated or not.

It's because the sheer numbers of people who will get infected by either Delta or Omicron, that will overtax the hospitals because even if serious disease is uncommon, that's still a lot that do get sick.

I fully expect to get Omicron at some point. Almost all of us will. It's beyond contagious.

But it's very likely it won't be serious, as long as we have at least 2 shots, and preferably the booster too.

Who knows, I may have already had it, and not known about it. Over 40% of all cases are estimated to be asymptomatic.

Plus, today there were reports that if you are fully vaccinated and get the virus, you will likely have "super immunity" to any future variants.

So what the fuck....get it, hope it isn't bad, and move on and stop stressing over it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
The vaccines are designed to keep people out of the hospital and the morgue.

They do a good job of that. But especially with Omicron, many millions will get it no matter if they are vaccinated or not.

It's because the sheer numbers of people who will get infected by either Delta or Omicron, that will overtax the hospitals because even if serious disease is uncommon, that's still a lot that do get sick.

I fully expect to get Omicron at some point. Almost all of us will. It's beyond contagious.

But it's very likely it won't be serious, as long as we have at least 2 shots, and preferably the booster too.

Who knows, I may have already had it, and not known about it. Over 40% of all cases are estimated to be asymptomatic.

Plus, today there were reports that if you are fully vaccinated and get the virus, you will likely have "super immunity" to any future variants.

So what the fuck....get it, hope it isn't bad, and move on and stop stressing over it.
South Africa says Omicron has a 1.9% hospitalization rate compared to 19% with delta. This thing is turning into a common coronavirus cold.